PDA

View Full Version : Coach K, Justise commerical

Eakane
01-25-2016, 11:55 AM
Can somebody please explain this one to me? Is there something more to it than emoticon sign language? :mad::p:confused:

FerryFor50
01-25-2016, 11:58 AM
Can somebody please explain this one to me? Is there something more to it than emoticon sign language? :mad::p:confused:

The joke in the commercial is fairly well represented by your confusion about it. :D

CDu
01-25-2016, 12:01 PM

It is just a generational joke. The youngsters use emojis while the oldtimer is more traditional. It ties in with the other two commercials in which Coach K tries to be hip and use emojis but fails miserably.

Eakane
01-25-2016, 12:29 PM
Sad to learn that I am an old-timer. I thought I had the 411, that I was jiggy, and pretty fly for a white guy. But all of that just dates me even more. Turning the big 5-0 this year, and not dealing well with it...:mad:

DukieInKansas
01-25-2016, 12:30 PM
Sad to learn that I am an old-timer. I thought I had the 411, that I was jiggy, and pretty fly for a white guy. But all of that just dates me even more. Turning the big 5-0 this year, and not dealing well with it...:mad:

It's just a number - and certainly better than the alternative. Embrace your age. Keep active and involved and no one will believe your actual age. ;)

arnie
01-25-2016, 12:35 PM

We both woke up this morning. Congrats in order.

howardlander
01-25-2016, 12:37 PM

50? I vaguely remember 50 ...

Howard

BD80
01-25-2016, 12:46 PM

You think you're old?

I still use an AOL email account!

OldPhiKap
01-25-2016, 01:07 PM
You think you're old?

Me too. With a dial-up modem.

SirIronDuke
01-25-2016, 01:23 PM
You just have to have some fun with it… My kids and I send a lot of emoji texts lately that begin "Coach K asked me to send you this…"

Half the fun is figuring out, or explaining, what the message means

Billy Dat
01-25-2016, 01:51 PM
Let's complete the process by everyone talking about their health problems.

Just think of emojis as electronic rebuses which were hip as far back as ancient egypt.

westwall
01-25-2016, 01:52 PM

"email"? "modem"?? I must really be old b/c no one apparently caught my reference, in another thread, to "hoping 59 years ago that Wilt would win an NCAA title". (hint: 9F, 9F)

BD80
01-25-2016, 03:06 PM
Let's complete the process by everyone talking about their health problems.

Just think of emojis as electronic rebuses which were hip as far back as ancient egypt.

Including replacement hips?

jv001
01-25-2016, 03:38 PM
Including replacement hips?

hip replacements and knee replacements? :eek: GoDuke!

bluedev_92
01-25-2016, 03:48 PM

Well, I get all of those references - so count me as part of that timeframe. Word to your mother! (no disrespect intended!) :cool:

devildeac
01-25-2016, 05:20 PM
You think you're old?

Geez, youze guys is young. I'm still using smoke signals and the Pony Express :rolleyes: .

Henderson
01-25-2016, 05:29 PM
Geez, youze guys is young. I'm still using smoke signals and the Pony Express :rolleyes: .

Acchh. You and your fancy smoke and horses. We only dreamed of such things. When I was a kid, we had to rely on hot breath and large cats. And don't get me started about those modems. Strings and cans used to work just fine, thanks very much.

OldPhiKap
01-25-2016, 05:53 PM
Acchh. You and your fancy smoke and horses. We only dreamed of such things. When I was a kid, we had to rely on hot breath and large cats. And don't get me started about those modems. Strings and cans used to work just fine, thanks very much.

Luxury.

We had to point with our non-opposable thumbs because grunting was too advanced. And THAT's only when we evolved into walking on land. Pointing with gils is essentially useless.

But you try telling the kids of today that, and they'd never believe you.

rthomas
01-25-2016, 06:10 PM
All of you old people just need to get Netflix and chill.

devildeac
01-25-2016, 06:13 PM
Luxury.

We had to point with our non-opposable thumbs because grunting was too advanced. And THAT's only when we evolved into walking on land. Pointing with gils is essentially useless.

Man, aren't we the advanced and privileged one? My parents told me it was dang near impossible to communicate like this, let alone even think about leaving the primordial broth.

elvis14
01-25-2016, 06:20 PM

Hmmm, "Netflix and chill" how many of us old people will pick up on that?

BD80
01-25-2016, 06:46 PM

Is that one of those new-fangled wine coolers?

Tripping William
01-25-2016, 06:59 PM
Does the purple devil make any sense to you guys?? Yeah, me neither (and I'm not alone ......).

royalblue
01-25-2016, 07:30 PM
Luxury.

In my day we could only dream about walking on land. Swimming was the best we could do and it was upstream in all directions

OldPhiKap
01-25-2016, 07:43 PM
Hmmm, "Netflix and chill" how many of us old people will hook up on that?

FIFY.

Man, aren't we the advanced and privileged one? My parents told me it was dang near impossible to communicate like this, let alone even think about leaving the primordial broth.

In my day we could only dream about walking on land. Swimming was the best we could do and it was upstream in all directions

You were lucky to have broths and streams. We existed in steam vapors from molten magma loosed for the bowels of the core of the planetoid that would later be named Earth. But we were happy, and that's why we stuck together as a molecule.

Oh, and no cable. Only three network channels plus PBS, and television signed off at midnight with a test pattern or the image of a now-inappropriate cigar-store Indian.

Pghdukie
01-25-2016, 10:08 PM
I was at Courtside when Moses took Noah 1 on 1 to the rack. The Coliseum crowd went wild. Cain and his brother Abel were ball boys.
All kidding aside - I HAVE NOT LOST FAITH IN THE DUKIES !

killerleft
01-26-2016, 10:14 AM
All of a sudden, I heard this big "bang!"... and I was hurtling outward, ever outward at speeds unheard of (well, very little had been heard of, actually)... communication was several months away from it's very invention. Still I wonder, what was at the very center of it all? And how did I sense that I started from the very center? I have many questions, and very few answers.

Henderson
01-26-2016, 04:01 PM
Luxury.

Oh there you go, bragging about those fancy non-opposable thumbs again. We had un-non-opposable thumbs for years and got on just fine.

And don't tell me to chill. Not with my circulation problems.

Henderson
01-26-2016, 04:13 PM
All of a sudden, I heard this big "bang!"... and I was hurtling outward, ever outward at speeds unheard of (well, very little had been heard of, actually)... communication was several months away from it's very invention. Still I wonder, what was at the very center of it all? And how did I sense that I started from the very center? I have many questions, and very few answers.

Elitist snobs like you have never known hardship. You guys in on the front end of things always have advantages. "Oh, my parents were Big Bangers and now I drive a Millenium Falcon. Kiss my primordial ring. The one that says Beta4Ever." Born on third base, and killerleft thinks he hit a triple.

killerleft
01-26-2016, 04:44 PM
Elitist snobs like you have never known hardship. You guys in on the front end of things always have advantages. "Oh, my parents were Big Bangers and now I drive a Millenium Falcon. Kiss my primordial ring. The one that says Beta4Ever." Born on third base, and killerleft thinks he hit a triple.

It hurts only slightly to say you are correct. Were you in the second wave?

OldPhiKap
01-26-2016, 05:18 PM

Oohhh, we only dreamed of having a big bang. All we got was a broken lightbulb and sort of a silent slurp. But it was our slurp and bulb, and we were darn glad to have them. Had to fight off a horde or raiders with our amoeba-like pods and most of the colony was destroyed, but the few of us who survived soldiered on.

Indoor66
01-26-2016, 05:40 PM
Oohhh, we only dreamed of having a big bang. All we got was a broken lightbulb and sort of a silent slurp. But it was our slurp and bulb, and we were darn glad to have them. Had to fight off a horde or raiders with our amoeba-like pods and most of the colony was destroyed, but the few of us who survived soldiered on.

Everyone wants a Big Bang every now and again.

nmduke2001
02-20-2016, 10:11 AM
Just saw Coach K's black mamba commercial. The whole Coach K "emoji" series is pretty funny.

gotoguy
02-20-2016, 10:47 AM

Happy Birthday to be Eakane, and I plan to be around to welcome you back to the 60s.