PDA

View Full Version : WBB - Duke 71, UNC 55

DU82
01-24-2016, 02:51 PM
This one needs its own thread. Ten minutes before game time.

The cheaters are down to six scholarship players with the loss of McDaniel to an ACL tear.

We need to guard Watts; if ever we would do it, a box and one would be great, similar to what Coach P did to Diamond in the ACC tournament two seasons ago. They're not big, so keeping Oderah, Amber, Lynee and Erin inside will get Azura open outside, and hopefully also free up Rebecca. We'll see what Nasty things Sylvia will do, other than her wardrobe.

chrishoke
01-24-2016, 03:01 PM
Gthc gth!
Gthc gth!
Gthc gth!
Gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!gthc gth!

chrishoke
01-24-2016, 03:03 PM
And yes Heels, Grace is looking at you.

uh_no
01-24-2016, 03:20 PM
good start. but i can't say i'm watching :(

lets go OJ Couriers.

chrishoke
01-24-2016, 03:47 PM
Duke 36-34 at half.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-24-2016, 05:07 PM
Duke 36-34 at half.
Should be final by now. Lack of an update is not a good sign...... GTHc!

chrishoke
01-24-2016, 05:14 PM
71-55 good gals. Azura 26 and 16. Amber has 16 boards.

tbyers11
01-24-2016, 05:15 PM
Should be final by now. Lack of an update is not a good sign... GTHc!

71-55 Duke wins. GTHC!

TruBlu
01-24-2016, 05:15 PM
Should be final by now. Lack of an update is not a good sign... GTHc!

Relax and enjoy. The correct shade of blue beat the ugly blue 71 - 55.

burnspbesq
01-24-2016, 05:46 PM
Dukt took control by holding Carolina to 2-16 from the floor in the third quarter, and except for one brief stretch midway through the fourth when the lead shrank to six, it was pretty comfortable.

Only thing to really bellyache about is that we gave up far to many offensive rebounds.

CameronBornAndBred
01-24-2016, 06:17 PM
I liked the bending without breaking in the fourth. The Heels pressed, caused problems, our lead dipped a bit, but we kept composed and finished strong. Fun to watch when that happens. (Still nerve wracking.)

That bit with Sylvia charging the ref was bizarre, and should have gotten her tossed from the game.

moonpie23
01-24-2016, 08:28 PM
let's see....

unc loss
duke win...

all is right

TKG
01-24-2016, 08:31 PM
How did Sylvia handle the loss? With her usual grace?

jimsumner
01-24-2016, 08:37 PM
Carolina kept it close for a half and made a bit of a run in the 4th, cutting a 59-47 Duke lead to 59-53.

But it never really seemed like a game Carolina could win. They just don't have the numbers.

Carolina shot 5-34 on 3s. Only three Tar Heels attempted a 3. Jamie Cherry was 4-12, Destinee Walker was 1-8, Stephanie Watts was 0-14. I don't think I've ever seen anyone go 0-14 on 3s but freely confess that I might have repressed the memory, had I seen it before.

Carolina did get 22 offensive rebounds. Of course, if you miss 56 shots, then you've got some chances for O-boards.

Duke did a lot of things well. I admit I wasn't sure Henson would be able to give Duke much after missing so much time but she was great of the defensive boards. A lot of Carolina's offensive rebounds came when she was on the bench. And a lot came on long rebounds from missed 3s.

Henson played 28 minutes and said she is ready to play 50. She never stopped smiling, before, during and after. She seems to be in a good place and nobody deserves that more.

Stevens was dominant. With Salvadores out (more on that later), Stevens played a lot on the perimeter and Greenwell played a lot of point. The two combined for 11 turnovers, which is not a good thing for your two best players.

But Stevens is darn-near unstoppable inside.

Chidom and Lambert also played well. Lambert didn't have a great stat line--9 points, 4 assists, 3 turnovers--but she seemed more poised. There was one play in the second half, with the shot clock running down and the ball in her hands. She didn't panic, got inside off the dribble and got it to Stevens for a layup, as the shot clock expired.

She doesn't make that play a month ago.

Chidom had a solid 15-point, five-steal performance.

It got a little funky late. Hatchell got T'd up after bumping a ref. And Carolina got a flagrant foul going to hack-an-Oderah. And, yes, Hatchell complained about the officiating in the postgame. In other breaking news, bears do it in the woods.

One concern. Duke got zero points from its bench, in 32 combined minutes. Suggs and Primm combined for 0-7 from the field.

Belton is still working her way back into shape. She played seven uneventful minutes. Duke's depth will improve when she gets back in game shape and Salvadores returns from her sprained ankle.

Salvadores did not dress out and McCallie said she was not close to playing. Day-to-day and no guarantee she'll play at Pitt later this week. Pitt is struggling but Duke is young and the game is on the road.

Still, three straight wins, all in the ACC and a fourth-straight over an arch-rival.

So, fingers crossed but looking better.

aswewere
01-24-2016, 08:48 PM
DWHOOPS game photo gallery http://www.dwhoops.com/1516/1601241-duke-71-unc-55.php

Mike Corey
01-24-2016, 10:47 PM
Any time Duke beats UNC, it's worth celebrating. Congrats to the team on the big win. Keep'em coming.

CameronBornAndBred
01-24-2016, 10:57 PM
One concern. Duke got zero points from its bench, in 32 combined minutes. Suggs and Primm combined for 0-7 from the field.

Interestingly, neither team got a point from the bench.

BD80
01-25-2016, 12:55 PM

Well, that would be out of bounds ...

DukieInKansas
01-25-2016, 03:23 PM

Never mind out of bounds, the no arms thing makes it hard for a bench to score, anyways.

burnspbesq
01-25-2016, 04:07 PM

If you tried to score from the Carolina bench, you'd have to finish through contact (a hip-check like the one Sylvia laid on the official yesterday).