PDA

View Full Version : Is the game still on?

grossbus
01-23-2016, 08:15 AM
Big storm! I Remember a couple of years ago we could not get to cheater hill.

budwom
01-23-2016, 08:53 AM
there are reports that a bus full of bread and milk just headed over to Raleigh, so I'm confident the game will be played.

aswewere
01-23-2016, 09:21 AM
WRAL http://www.wralsportsfan.com/nc-state-duke-to-play-saturday-game/15264841/

Bob Green
01-23-2016, 09:50 AM
WRAL http://www.wralsportsfan.com/nc-state-duke-to-play-saturday-game/15264841/

From the linked article:

"Provided the teams and officials are able to make it to the arena safely, the game will be played."

Furniture
01-23-2016, 10:23 AM
From the linked article:

Raleigh traffic webcams show moving albeit light traffic.

uh_no
01-23-2016, 10:48 AM
Raleigh traffic webcams show moving albeit light traffic.

the "issue" with the uncch game was that the bus couldn't even make it to campus.

given that it's all major thoroughfares once you get off campus to PNC, i'd say if the bus can get to campus, the team will be playing. also given they've had a day or so to go plow, as opposed to the storm starting that night, i don't think there would be any issue. in either case, I'd imagine the team probably would have headed out already given how long it might take to get there.

anybody with any word on that front?

I love me some basketball, but I care far more about the safety of our players, and both schools' fans.

DU82
01-23-2016, 10:48 AM
The governor just announced that the game is still on, but encouraged fans NOT to attend due to the road conditions.

DOT Secretary Tennyson was standing behind him, class of '72.

Looking at the cameras, the roads in Durham don't look as good as I'd hoped. But there seems to be an adequate path to proceed. My hunch is the bus is already on its way to PNC Arena.

uh_no
01-23-2016, 10:56 AM
The governor just announced that the game is still on, but encouraged fans NOT to attend due to the road conditions.

DOT Secretary Tennyson was standing behind him, class of '72.

Looking at the cameras, the roads in Durham don't look as good as I'd hoped. But there seems to be an adequate path to proceed. My hunch is the bus is already on its way to PNC Arena.

where are the cameras located? I'd imagine at least 147 and some of the main thoroughfares around town have been salted and plowed, even if a dusting has re-covered them. that, combined with the fact that they were still probably decently travelled yesterday should be enough for them to be passable.

MY street on the other hand, has not been plowed, salted, or travelled and doubled as a car skating rink for people that tried to get up it.

aimo
01-23-2016, 11:01 AM
As of 8:30 this morning, Hwy 55 had not been touched, and that is a state highway. So, no guarantee on 147 being clear.

sagegrouse
01-23-2016, 11:01 AM
Am I missing something? Why wouldn't the team be staying in Raleigh and close enough to walk to the game? Actually, both teams staying near the arena.

DU82
01-23-2016, 11:02 AM
where are the cameras located? I'd imagine at least 147 and some of the main thoroughfares around town have been salted and plowed, even if a dusting has re-covered them. that, combined with the fact that they were still probably decently travelled yesterday should be enough for them to be passable.

MY street on the other hand, has not been plowed, salted, or travelled and doubled as a car skating rink for people that tried to get up it.

There's cameras at most interchanges, along with some intersections.

I find the WRAL traffic page http://www.wral.com/traffic/ has more cameras than most sites, including our NCDOT page. The WRAL page has municipal cameras as well as State and a couple of their own. They are still pictures updated every minute or so, so lighting can make thing look worse.

The issue is that roads re-iced last night, and so same primary roads had to be re-treated today. It's not plowing, it's getting the ice melted.

They just showed a live picture of the Durham Freeway from WRAL's studio next to the Bulls ballpark, and it looked much better than the still cameras. So I think the team will be able to get there.

DU82
01-23-2016, 11:04 AM
Am I missing something? Why wouldn't the team be staying in Raleigh and close enough to walk to the game? Actually, both teams staying near the arena.

The team almost always stays at home and travels to NC games the day of the game.

devil84
01-23-2016, 11:14 AM

With so much ice in the area, I'm not sure I want to risk injury to our guys walking from the nearest hotel!

The roads here are still quite covered and treacherous, even 147 and I-40 look bad from the local stations that are covering the storm.

uh_no
01-23-2016, 11:26 AM

they would have had to go there thursday night....which I highly doubt they did. further, the closest hotel which they might think of actually staying at (sorry, don't think K is a "comfort suites" kinda guy.) is about a 2 mile walk. they don't have a washington wolfie inn and golf club right next to the stadium like we do.

someone else mentioned 55...i'd imagine 147 is slightly more well maintained than 55 just because 147 is a limited access road, and the main limited access highway between downtown durham and raleigh.

DU82
01-23-2016, 11:33 AM
they would have had to go there thursday night...which I highly doubt they did. further, the closest hotel which they might think of actually staying at (sorry, don't think K is a "comfort suites" kinda guy.) is about a 2 mile walk. they don't have a washington wolfie inn and golf club right next to the stadium like we do.

someone else mentioned 55...i'd imagine 147 is slightly more well maintained than 55 just because 147 is a limited access road, and the main limited access highway between downtown durham and raleigh.

Just as long as Matk Gottifield didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

You are correct, NC 147 (along with I-85, I-40 and US 15-501) is in the top tier of roads to be treated. NC 55 is in the next tier.

moonpie23
01-23-2016, 11:39 AM
just drove in from cary.........zero problems...

I-40 and wade ave are clear...in fact......even the hilly part of wade ave was totally clear.....i don't think they will have any difficulty...

i mean, with getting to the game anyway....

uh_no
01-23-2016, 11:44 AM
just drove in from cary.....zero problems...

I-40 and wade ave are clear...in fact...even the hilly part of wade ave was totally clear....i don't think they will have any difficulty...

i mean, with getting to the game anyway...

you seem to be implying that we might have difficulty with the game

you also seem to be forgetting that I have personally guaranteed victory.

DukeFanSince1990
01-23-2016, 12:48 PM
you seem to be implying that we might have difficulty with the game

you also seem to be forgetting that I have personally guaranteed victory.

Is this a stone cold lead pipe lock?

uh_no
01-23-2016, 01:12 PM
Is this a stone cold lead pipe lock?

does the pope wear a funny hat?
does a bear live in the woods?
do they speak English in What?

rfaison
01-23-2016, 01:24 PM
Grumpiness sets in as I realize that the wall-to-wall TV coverage of the snowstorm - which is epic in the DC area no question (currently I have 28+ inches on the roof outside my bathroom window, I'm in Clarksburg, 20 miles or so NW of DC) - will still be going on by game-time ... booooo:(:(:(.

DukeFanSince1990
01-23-2016, 01:28 PM
does the pope wear a funny hat?
does a bear live in the woods?
do they speak English in What?

Yes for the first two, but What ain't no country I ever heard of.

kmspeaks
01-23-2016, 01:29 PM
Grumpiness sets in as I realize that the wall-to-wall TV coverage of the snowstorm - which is epic in the DC area no question (currently I have 28+ inches on the roof outside my bathroom window, I'm in Clarksburg, 20 miles or so NW of DC) - will still be going on by game-time ... booooo:(:(:(.

Check the in-game thread people have found several different options for watching the game. There's a CBS 2 Channel - it may show up as Bounce in your guide - that is currently showing Georgetown-UConn so we're thinking they'll carry our game as well!

freshmanjs
01-23-2016, 01:30 PM

See the other thread. The game is on alternate channel. (varies by region and provider)

MChambers
01-23-2016, 02:11 PM
On Verizon FIOS, it's on 459 (not in HD, but it's not a bad picture.

throatybeard
01-23-2016, 02:13 PM
I'm watching it now, so I think they're going to play it.

rolm
01-23-2016, 02:14 PM
The Bounce is not on Dish Network. Anybody knows what option exists for Dish subscribers?

rfaison
01-23-2016, 02:15 PM
Thanks, took a bit of digging but Bounce is 459 on FIOS in DC area - FYI.

kmspeaks
01-23-2016, 02:50 PM
The Bounce is not on Dish Network. Anybody knows what option exists for Dish subscribers?

It's streaming on cbssports.com which you can stream to your tv if you have any devices capable of doing so or just watch on your computer.

CrazyNotCrazie
01-23-2016, 04:28 PM
I set the DVR to record and watch at 4 pm only to find out the channel was switched for snow coverage. Not cool.