PDA

View Full Version : Phase IV 2015-16 Season

Newton_14
01-22-2016, 10:24 PM
Well. I never thought signing up for Phase IV meant drawing the short stick, yet here we are. If you are like me, throughout most of the Clemson game, you felt like we were well on our way to another solid road victory, and with two very winnable games to follow in Cameron, we were well on our way to a 6-0 ACC Start and would head into Phase IV undefeated at the top of the Conference heap, and ready to challenge for a Regular Season title. Until we weren't. Instead we first "lose" the end of the first half of the Clemson game by taking a bad shot too early and that leading to Brandon's 3rd foul plus points for Clemson on the other end, lose the game when foul trouble forces us into a zone Clemson lit up, then repeat the theme against both ND and Cuse. One point on that. There are few things I disagree with K on, and one thing I wholeheartedly agree with him on, is how important it is to "win" the end of the 1st Half of games. Which is defined by either finishing on a small or big run, and/or scoring on the last shot of the half, or getting a stop on the opponent at the end of the half. I fully believe it impacts games. Jimmy Valvano felt the same way. He used to say the most important stretch of a game was the last 5 minutes of the first half and the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half.

At any rate, to sum up Phase III, as we head into Phase IV, we went from sitting pretty to being on the ropes. The NC State and Miami games are super important to how the rest of the season can go. That said, it's on to Phase IV, which will be the NC State game, to the first Battle Of the Blues against the cheaters down the road.

1. Health Health Health

Some scoff that we always put Health as topic 1 but sorry, as we have experienced far too often the past several seasons, Health can make or break a season. Kyrie, Ryan Kelly twice are just 3 examples. So Amile going down had a very negative impact to this team. I remain convinced that had that not happened, we are 18-1 and 6-0. But it did, and this fragile team now has to find a way to scratch out some tough wins to be in at least a decent position when he returns on Feb 6th at home against the Wolfpack :). (No, I have no inside info, but see the injury thread.) In short, we need Amile back, and we need to not have anyone else go down.

2. Rebounding-

CDu had Chase Jeter's development as his second Topic in Phase III and that sort of ties in here. To be Captain Obvious, we are getting killed on the boards, specifically, teams are setting records on the Offensive Glass against us and it is erasing a somewhat improved defense as getting the rebound is a requirement to finish a stop. MP3 is doing the best he can with those short arms, and he needs help. Chase is just not making any sort of positive impact in any phase of the game right now, has become a foul machine, and passed in the rotation by Obi, who has not fared much better in the small amount of minutes he has earned. You never know when the light bulb might come on for a freshman that is struggling. It could happen in this Phase, or it could happen next season. I am also on record though, that it really would not matter much as Brandon is the only 4 we have until Amile returns. I just don't believe we can be effective on the whole, playing any of the bigs together. With that, Brandon, and the guards are all going to have to sell out, abandon the fast break, and crash the boards, giving us 5 guys trying to secure the defensive rebound. It has to be very demoralizing to defend like crazy for 25 seconds, force a miss, only to see the opponent grab it and get 1, 2, 3, 4, etc extra chances to score. ND and Syracuse basically won those games on the offensive glass. Can K do anything in Phase IV to make a dent in the defensive rebounding woes, beyond Amile getting healthy

3. PG Play-

As all of you know, PG play is so critical in College Hoops. Were Tyus still at the helm this wouldn't even be a discussion point, but he ain't walking thru that door. Derryck, after a slow start to the year, started playing really well in the early season tournament, but has been up and down since, losing his starting job back to Matt again. I thought despite the two big 3's in the 2nd half against the Orange, he really looked lost out there against the zone. Very tentative, unsure of himself... do I go? do I not? do I shoot? Pass? Push it? Slow it up? etc. He was just way overthinking it on all of those points and when you think instead of react, especially as a PG, you are begging for trouble. Hopefully the two big 3's give him some confidence heading into Saturday. I'm sure the staff is doing everything possible to help him adjust. I think film study of past PG's would be a great tool, given 99% of his issues are mental, not skill related. The dude has skills in Spades and will be a good/great PG before all is said and done. Will he get back on track in Phase IV and trend upward? If not, we go back to Matt and PG by committee, which is not ideal imo.

4. Collective Mental State

Like I said above, this team is on the ropes. They just went 3-3 in the easiest portion of the schedule, dropping two straight at home in games they desperately needed to win. For the moment, gone are the worries of will our NCAA seed be a 2 or 3, and they have been replaced by worries of "will we make the Big Dance". The jester is on the sidelines in a cast (ok its a walking boot but you get the picture). The schedule is now brutal. The troops are young, thin, and bruised both mentally and physically. Where are their collective heads and how will they respond? Will they fight like crazy, refuse to get blown out, and scratch out wins at State or at Miami or both? Or will they crumble at the first sign of trouble in those games and get run in both? I believe the next two games are the most important Regular Season games in a long time. Last years Louisville game x100. Can Sergeant Plumlee and First Lieutenant Jones rally the troops and will them to victory? Can K work his magic, keeping them intact mentally, and push the right buttons? I have no doubt they will play hard, and give everything they have to give, but can they focus on the task at hand, execute on their assignments, knock down tough shots, and get back on a winning track? I believe in the short term, the mental is going to be even more important than the physical.

5. Thin Rotation-

There is much wailing and knashing of teeth on this one. I am on record in a discussion with CB&B this week, that even if both Chase and Obi were playing well enough to make positive impacts, I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes, in terms of getting the 5 guards/wings sufficient rest. We currently have a 6 man rotation. 5 guards and Plumlee. Brandon is tall and uses that length well, but is still a 6-9 thin guard. K is currently having to start 4 of the 5 guards, and then use the one guard on the bench to sub in for the other 4 guards and try to get all of them the amount of rest they need. Which means none of them are getting the full amount of rest they need, especially the freshman. He is using Obi, and in certain cases Jeter, to try and get Plumlee at least 1 minute of rest per half, and to be honest, Plumlee has pretty much thrived in that model. He has stayed out of foul trouble, rebounded really well, and scored well. Not sure if he could give us any more than he is giving in less minutes. Like I said, it may even hurt us for him to play less minutes. With that, the only way to play a deeper bench and also give all the guards the proper amount of rest is to play a two big lineup for some amount of minutes. While K did do that with Plumlee and Chase in the 2nd half of the Wake game to steal a few minutes due to foul trouble, I'm not convinced that any of the possible combinations can play well enough to help us. Possible I guess, but as of right now I don't see it. Be it Plumlee/Jeter, Plumlee/Obi, Plumlee/Vrankovic, how exactly does it work on either end of the floor? I suppose we could go Zone exclusively on defense, but would it be effective enough? On offense, none of them would be a threat from outside, so teams would just clog the lane on us, and double team key guys. I don't see it, but I am open to being wrong. There are two obstacles though. 1. One of Jeter/Obi/Vrankovic have to improve in a hurry, and actually be able to help as individual players, and 2. K has to find a way to make a two big line up with that collection of bigs work. That is the only thing that prevents us from having to play 4 of the 5 guards at all times, outside of foul trouble forcing it.

6. Can They Turn It Around?

I finish with the 64 Thousand Dollar Question. Which way is this thing going to go? Do they hang in there, play .500 Ball or better until Amile gets back, and then finish strong with him, making this just a bump in the road? Or, does the worst happen, they fall apart, go on a long losing streak, and miss the tourney? Somewhere in the middle? Say they tank until Amile gets back, struggles initially with him, but then turn it around, squeezing out enough wins to salvage the season and get in? I am terrible at predictions, so please don't look to me. However, I will give you my personal thoughts. I believe K will make some tweaks, the guys will rally, turn it around, and get even better when Amile gets back. I base that on the fact they have been right there with a chance to win at the end in all 4 losses without Amile. Despite the rebounding and defense issues (I did not spend much time writing on the defense but I do feel the man to man has improved), these guys can play with anyone. I believe that.

So keep the faith, and if you are at games in Cameron, scream loud and pull hard. This is a team that needs it. They also need their Sr Leader back. Sooner rather than later.

CDu
01-22-2016, 11:22 PM
Great work, Newton_14! You hit on a lot of key stuff here.

Rebounding: You are dead on when you say that the two-bigs approach isn't going to happen. Even if Obi and/or Jeter gets to the point of useful, neither is suited to play PF in college. It would be great if either can provide solid backup to Plumlee at C (it'd be nice if Plumlee only had to go 25 minutes or so, not 35). But we are really talking about whether or not they can give us more than 2-3 minutes of semi-functional basketball. The majority of the heavy lifting is going to have to come from (as you said) the perimeter guys. I look to Ingram, Kennard, and Allen here.

PG: We knew coming in that PG would be a question mark. And Thornton has looked every bit like a kid that has recently made a huge jump in competition level and who started off playing catch-up by missing the summer with the team. I'm almost to the point where I think he is simply not going to be that prototypical PG that we'd like this year. But maybe he can find a niche as an attacking guard a la Kennard and Allen. If we can have 3-4 slashers on the court at once, maybe we will be okay on that end. Where I've been more disappointed though is on the other end. He's just not as good defensively as we need him to be. That has, in turn, put a lot more pressure on Allen, who is now more frequently getting asked to guard the opposing PG.

Mental health: This makes me anxious (get it? okay, I'll see myself out). As good a guy as Plumlee seems to be, and as much of a big brother/old man as Matt Jones seems to be, I'm not sure they are ready to lead. Allen has at times looked like the best player on the floor, but he disappears far too often and seems to get too introspective. Ingram is the most talented player, but his laconic nature doesn't fit the leader role. Strangely, the last few games it has seemed like Kennard was the second-half leader. Leadership is just one of the many areas where we miss Jefferson. Hopefully these guys get it figured out, regain their confidence, and turn the ship around.

Saratoga2
01-23-2016, 11:12 AM
Reboundiing:

Vrank is 6'11", 270 pounds and appeared in the few minutes he has played to be about as athletic as MP3. He must be a really weak player not to get even a sniff of PT when we are getting outworked on the boards. Since neither Jeter or Obi has done the job well enough to garner reasonable time, why not experiment with Vrank and MP3 together and 3 guards?

PG Play:

DT is our quickest player with excellent ball handling skills. True he has a lot to learn about running the offense but did Matt do well against Syracuse and ND? We need to keep developing DT in that position and maybe good things will come of it. Who else has any chance against Cat Barber today? I would continue to start DT going forward.

Brandon at the 4:

Brandon is a great talent but his thin frame is a liability when trying to stop strong PF's and clearly he can get into foul trouble doing it. We appear to have no option as Jeter has shown no ability to play without fouling and Sean may be too slow. We can hope that Amile gets back soon or perhaps Vrank could play the 5 while MP3 plays the 4. I know that is a huge reach, but none of the options seem solid.

Guard play in rebounding:

Use our guards to crash the boards and give away any fast break opportunities. Brandon does well rebounding but our other guards have a size disadvantage inside. Both Grayson, who is very energetic and Luke who seems to be in the right place will get some of the rebounds but our size issues will still be difficult to overcome.

In general, we are going up against teams with size and athleticism in the next few games. It will be a test for us. If our scoring can recover from the Syracuse zone defense experience, we can remain in the games. If it is close, our free throw shooting is a plus.

Neals384
01-23-2016, 11:34 AM
4. Collective Mental State

Like I said above, this team is on the ropes. They just went 3-3 in the easiest portion of the schedule, dropping two straight at home in games they desperately needed to win. For the moment, gone are the worries of will our NCAA seed be a 2 or 3, and they have been replaced by worries of "will we make the Big Dance". The jester is on the sidelines in a cast (ok its a walking boot but you get the picture). The schedule is now brutal. The troops are young, thin, and bruised both mentally and physically. Where are their collective heads and how will they respond? Will they fight like crazy, refuse to get blown out, and scratch out wins at State or at Miami or both? Or will they crumble at the first sign of trouble in those games and get run in both? I believe the next two games are the most important Regular Season games in a long time. Last years Louisville game x100. Can Sergeant Plumlee and First Lieutenant Jones rally the troops and will them to victory? Can K work his magic, keeping them intact mentally, and push the right buttons? I have no doubt they will play hard, and give everything they have to give, but can they focus on the task at hand, execute on their assignments, knock down tough shots, and get back on a winning track? I believe in the short term, the mental is going to be even more important than the physical.

This team has a lot of fight in it. In any of the three losses it would have been easy to let up due to fatigue and falling behind. Down 7 with 3 minutes left against Clemson, down 6 with 3 minutes to go against ND, down 8 with 4 minutes left against 'Cuse. Momentum was not on our side. But each time they came back and gave themselves a chance to win. There's no quit in this team, and I love that about them.

Bob Green
01-23-2016, 12:57 PM
3. PG Play-

As all of you know, PG play is so critical in College Hoops. Were Tyus still at the helm this wouldn't even be a discussion point, but he ain't walking thru that door. Derryck, after a slow start to the year, started playing really well in the early season tournament, but has been up and down since, losing his starting job back to Matt again. I thought despite the two big 3's in the 2nd half against the Orange, he really looked lost out there against the zone. Very tentative, unsure of himself... do I go? do I not? do I shoot? Pass? Push it? Slow it up? etc. He was just way overthinking it on all of those points and when you think instead of react, especially as a PG, you are begging for trouble. Hopefully the two big 3's give him some confidence heading into Saturday. I'm sure the staff is doing everything possible to help him adjust. I think film study of past PG's would be a great tool, given 99% of his issues are mental, not skill related. The dude has skills in Spades and will be a good/great PG before all is said and done. Will he get back on track in Phase IV and trend upward? If not, we go back to Matt and PG by committee, which is not ideal imo.

Excellent work with the Phase IV post!

Derryck Thornton's development is critical moving forward toward March. The team needs a distributor on offense as well as someone to "D up" the opponent's point guard. The staff is certainly working hard on fine tuning Thornton's skills.

There is not much the staff can do about the short rotation as Amile Jefferson will either get healthy or he will not. If he comes back, the rotation situation improves as does rebounding.

superdave
01-25-2016, 12:42 PM
3. PG Play-

Derryck seems to revert to playing too fast when pressure builds. He can be too quick to take a shot or put his head down and drive. I wonder if having him come off the bench may be a good way to keep him from playing too fast. He can go in knowing what to focus on - on ball D, keeping floor spaced, keeping ball moving, etc. I think having him focus on stuff like that could be useful so he does not feel like he has to run the team.

FerryFor50
01-25-2016, 12:52 PM
I think DT has been solid on defense. But his offense... people are right when they say he's thinking too much rather than just playing.

I have a suspicion that it will "click" for him toward the end of the season and he'll put together some nice games.

superdave
01-25-2016, 01:06 PM
I think DT has been solid on defense. But his offense... people are right when they say he's thinking too much rather than just playing.

I have a suspicion that it will "click" for him toward the end of the season and he'll put together some nice games.

One thing I do like to see Derryck keep trying is that Westbrook pull up 10 footer on the break or secondary break. With his speed, no defender can really get a hand in his face on that shot.

Someone else pointed out that he is shooting .419 from 3-land. That and really good ball pressure are two things that will keep him playing big minutes in spite of some growing pains. Well, that and our short bench.

Troublemaker
01-25-2016, 03:13 PM
One thing I do like to see Derryck keep trying is that Westbrook pull up 10 footer on the break or secondary break. With his speed, no defender can really get a hand in his face on that shot.

I think we're completely opposite on this one, superdave. Derryck has shot poorly on his pull-up 2-pt jumpers, and with how good Duke's offense is, I'd rather he just pull the ball back out and start the offense. The expected value is higher.

FerryFor50
01-25-2016, 03:28 PM
I think we're completely opposite on this one, superdave. Derryck has shot poorly on his pull-up 2-pt jumpers, and with how good Duke's offense is, I'd rather he just pull the ball back out and start the offense. The expected value is higher.

For me, the stats about his effect on the offensive efficiency as a whole is more important than how much he scores. I don't have a problem with *most* of his shots, other than the one in the Clemson game.

If he's allowing the offense to flow more freely, keep him in.

I think another issue with DT is how small he is right now. He's built like Ingram, but isn't 6'9" with a 7 foot wingspan. So that hurts him, especially when trying to finish at the rim. He's show he can *get* there consistently. What he hasn't shown is consistently being able to finish through contact.

Newton_14
01-27-2016, 10:31 PM
In this Phase Post, I focused mainly on the team w/o Amile, and very little on what it will look like when he returns. Now, I am going to assume that he comes back 100%, and is able to log his normal minutes fairly quickly. He is not a shooter, so rust in that department (unlike Ryan Kelly for example) is a moot point. So, he should be able to get back to doing the things he does well quickly.

To me the impact to the team helps in more ways than just another good player to give us a 7 man rotation. With how things are now, we have about a 6.1 rotation. Chase or Obi get a token minute or two each game to spell Marshall. I will continue to believe and state we can not play two bigs without Amile and expect any kind of real success. I know some continue to call for that, but it quite simply will not work. There are no PF skills in Obi, Chase, or Vrank. There just isn't. There really isn't any PF skills in MP3 either, but I would say he is the only one of the 4 that could possibly play the 4 decently. He never takes outside shots, save the one famous 3 he hit last year, but who knows, maybe that was not an aberration and he could knock down an occasional 3 or mid-range shot. Stranger things have happened in basketball. However, were that the case, surely K would have had MP3 show that skill occasionally in games this season before and after Amile's injury. So, in my opinion, we are who we are w/o Amile and our PF's are Brandon and Matt.

Amile's return: Provided his level of play is where I predict it will be, it means the world to this team.
- First and foremost, we go back to a 2 Big starting line up, which makes us a much bigger team on the interior and on the wings. We go 7'0, 6'9, 6'9, 6'5, 6'4.
- It immediately improves the rebounding on both ends, with Brandon able to crash from the SF slot with MP3 and Amile already in there dealing with the opponents bigs.
- The quintet of guards can now play more aggressive, getting the rest they need, with having 2 subs to rotate in and spell the 3 starters. Eases foul trouble pressures too.
- We can go small with multiple different looks using MP3/Amile at C, and Brandon/Matt at PF, when needed.
- It obviously helps the team defense and the interior offense. He was scoring really well in the post before going down
- And finally, it helps in one area that I suspect many have not even thought of. Chase Jeter. I think Amile going down hurt Chase tremendously. When he comes in currently, he is asked to be the only true big on the floor, and play almost error free. That is a ton of pressure on him, and really unfair, given he is one of the freshmen bigs that needed time to adjust to the game. He obviously has not responded well to the pressure that situation has brought. With Amile back, there is much less pressure on Chase as he has Amile as a side kick to help him through communication, defense, and on the boards. Teams have to respect Amile, and are not able to just key on Chase as the only big. I think that can possibly do wonders for Chase, and can help him worry less, think less, and make positive plays. Whether he responds and does those things are to be determined. However, I think he has a much better chance of playing well with Amile than without.

That would take us from a 6.1 rotation, to possibly a 7.5 or even a true 8 man rotation which changes a lot. MP3 can defend harder on the interior, playing less minutes and worrying less about foul trouble. The guards/wings can go a lot harder on both ends, again with less minutes and less worry about foul trouble.

That's one of the reason why I 110% support and loved Al Featherson's "stop panicking" article today. The all out panic is ridiculous for all the reasons Al stated and because this team is better than people are giving them credit for, and with Amile back, become a darn good basketball team, like they were before this nightmare started with the broken foot.

It's not like they are getting blown out of gyms. Miami's a legit top ten team and could not get that done on their home court with our guys playing their 2nd game in 3 days with a plane trip in between. The Utah, Clemson, ND, and Syracuse could have easily all been wins. Without Amile. I am convinced all of them would have been wins with Amile.

There are plenty of reasons to be optimistic regarding the rest of the year. While the date of Amile's return is still not known, I get the sense we are going to see him trot out onto the floor for an opening tip very soon.

So, keep the faith and stop the sky is falling panic attack. These Devils will be heard from again, loudly. Sooner rather than later.

My two cents...

Saratoga2
01-28-2016, 09:32 AM
In this Phase Post, I focused mainly on the team w/o Amile, and very little on what it will look like when he returns. Now, I am going to assume that he comes back 100%, and is able to log his normal minutes fairly quickly. He is not a shooter, so rust in that department (unlike Ryan Kelly for example) is a moot point. So, he should be able to get back to doing the things he does well quickly.

To me the impact to the team helps in more ways than just another good player to give us a 7 man rotation. With how things are now, we have about a 6.1 rotation. Chase or Obi get a token minute or two each game to spell Marshall. I will continue to believe and state we can not play two bigs without Amile and expect any kind of real success. I know some continue to call for that, but it quite simply will not work. There are no PF skills in Obi, Chase, or Vrank. There just isn't. There really isn't any PF skills in MP3 either, but I would say he is the only one of the 4 that could possibly play the 4 decently. He never takes outside shots, save the one famous 3 he hit last year, but who knows, maybe that was not an aberration and he could knock down an occasional 3 or mid-range shot. Stranger things have happened in basketball. However, were that the case, surely K would have had MP3 show that skill occasionally in games this season before and after Amile's injury. So, in my opinion, we are who we are w/o Amile and our PF's are Brandon and Matt.

Amile's return: Provided his level of play is where I predict it will be, it means the world to this team.
- First and foremost, we go back to a 2 Big starting line up, which makes us a much bigger team on the interior and on the wings. We go 7'0, 6'9, 6'9, 6'5, 6'4.
- It immediately improves the rebounding on both ends, with Brandon able to crash from the SF slot with MP3 and Amile already in there dealing with the opponents bigs.
- The quintet of guards can now play more aggressive, getting the rest they need, with having 2 subs to rotate in and spell the 3 starters. Eases foul trouble pressures too.
- We can go small with multiple different looks using MP3/Amile at C, and Brandon/Matt at PF, when needed.
- It obviously helps the team defense and the interior offense. He was scoring really well in the post before going down
- And finally, it helps in one area that I suspect many have not even thought of. Chase Jeter. I think Amile going down hurt Chase tremendously. When he comes in currently, he is asked to be the only true big on the floor, and play almost error free. That is a ton of pressure on him, and really unfair, given he is one of the freshmen bigs that needed time to adjust to the game. He obviously has not responded well to the pressure that situation has brought. With Amile back, there is much less pressure on Chase as he has Amile as a side kick to help him through communication, defense, and on the boards. Teams have to respect Amile, and are not able to just key on Chase as the only big. I think that can possibly do wonders for Chase, and can help him worry less, think less, and make positive plays. Whether he responds and does those things are to be determined. However, I think he has a much better chance of playing well with Amile than without.

That would take us from a 6.1 rotation, to possibly a 7.5 or even a true 8 man rotation which changes a lot. MP3 can defend harder on the interior, playing less minutes and worrying less about foul trouble. The guards/wings can go a lot harder on both ends, again with less minutes and less worry about foul trouble.

That's one of the reason why I 110% support and loved Al Featherson's "stop panicking" article today. The all out panic is ridiculous for all the reasons Al stated and because this team is better than people are giving them credit for, and with Amile back, become a darn good basketball team, like they were before this nightmare started with the broken foot.

It's not like they are getting blown out of gyms. Miami's a legit top ten team and could not get that done on their home court with our guys playing their 2nd game in 3 days with a plane trip in between. The Utah, Clemson, ND, and Syracuse could have easily all been wins. Without Amile. I am convinced all of them would have been wins with Amile.

There are plenty of reasons to be optimistic regarding the rest of the year. While the date of Amile's return is still not known, I get the sense we are going to see him trot out onto the floor for an opening tip very soon.

So, keep the faith and stop the sky is falling panic attack. These Devils will be heard from again, loudly. Sooner rather than later.

My two cents...

When MP3 played aggressively on defense, he has some really good games, even with Amile not there. Having him playing soft and only picking up one foul in a game has not been a successful approach for us. Perhaps his play was a function of fatigue. My hope is that MP3 really understands how much better the team is when he challenges shots and boxes out strongly and that carries over into future games.

Clearly the starting lineup when Amile returns would include MP3, Amile, Brandon and Grayson. I am not certain that the gap between Matt, Luke and Derryck hasn't closed in the past 6 weeks. With Matt starting we really don't have a point guard like Derryck or a scoring presence like Luke. Presumably we have a better overall defender, but even that is not clear when facing a very quick PG.

jv001
01-28-2016, 10:15 AM
When MP3 played aggressively on defense, he has some really good games, even with Amile not there. Having him playing soft and only picking up one foul in a game has not been a successful approach for us. Perhaps his play was a function of fatigue. My hope is that MP3 really understands how much better the team is when he challenges shots and boxes out strongly and that carries over into future games.

Clearly the starting lineup when Amile returns would include MP3, Amile, Brandon and Grayson. I am not certain that the gap between Matt, Luke and Derryck hasn't closed in the past 6 weeks. With Matt starting we really don't have a point guard like Derryck or a scoring presence like Luke. Presumably we have a better overall defender, but even that is not clear when facing a very quick PG.

I believe with Amile back, Matt would be a great 6th man. It's minutes and who's in the game at the end that's most important. I would like to see Thornton in the game when Duke plays man2man. He's our best on the ball defender outside of Amile. GoDuke!

superdave
02-06-2016, 08:49 AM
Jeff Capel coached the last game and changed a few things up. Let's see if they stick -

Does Coach K give Chase Jeter a longer leash? 8 minutes, 2 points, 1 board, 4 fouls vs. GT. I guess I'll take that if it keeps Marshall fresh.

Is man-to-man our best defense? Does zone in the first half keep us fresh and foul-free for the second half man defense? I like the strategy for now. I would like to see the return of the 1-3-1 when Amile comes back. I also like pressing to break up our opponents hot streaks or to get the ball out of a certain players' hands (ie Angel Rodriquez, Marcus Page, Cat Barber, etc)

I feel like we're in February so things need to start to become good habits now. Time to know your role and lock in!