PDA

View Full Version : Haters stick to the script....

rsvman
01-19-2016, 12:52 PM
So, apparently a third loss in a row is "newsworthy" enough to get a spot on att/yahoo morning news stories that autopopulate to cellphones. I clicked on the story just to read the comments (as usual). The comments section was almost entirely filled with Duke-hater stuff. What's interesting to me is how they stick to a script, no matter what. Here are the main talking points, from which nobody deviates:

1) Coach K can't develop big men. Seems like an odd choice given how Marshall Plumlee was the man of the match, don't you think? Doesn't even slow the meme down. Duke is where "talented big men go to die." (Okafor never existed, apparently.)

2) Duke gets all the calls. There were no fouls in the last minute of the game and how dare Coach K even suggest(!) that a call might've gone against Duke. Even if one call did go against Duke (which we're not saying it did), the world is owed about 10,000 more to even get close to making up the difference.

3) Coach K is a poor sport. Apparently after last night's game Coach K didn't shake all the opposing players hands? That shows what a sore loser he is. He has always been a poor sport (even when he went on to the Indiana bus after a tough NCAA loss and congratulated the players [he asks hypothetically]?

4) Coach K has been buying off the refs for years. Hard to believe these refs didn't go along.

5) Even if Duke loses 12 games, they will get into the NCAA tournament with a ridiculously high seed, and draw the easiest possible road to the Final Four.

Some other minor points: It is "time for Coach K to call up some mythical back issues" because he wouldn't want to have these losses count. Does nobody remember 2007? Coach K should quit coaching; the game has "passed him by." (Does nobody remember last year?)

The only one I want to ask about is what happened in the post-game handshake line? Anybody got any inside info on that?

Otherwise, I had to laugh at the haters who obviously didn't even watch the game and just dusted off and trotted out the same tired old tirades.

oldnavy
01-19-2016, 12:55 PM
So, apparently a third loss in a row is "newsworthy" enough to get a spot on att/yahoo morning news stories that autopopulate to cellphones. I clicked on the story just to read the comments (as usual). The comments section was almost entirely filled with Duke-hater stuff. What's interesting to me is how they stick to a script, no matter what. Here are the main talking points, from which nobody deviates:

1) Coach K can't develop big men. Seems like an odd choice given how Marshall Plumlee was the man of the match, don't you think? Doesn't even slow the meme down. Duke is where "talented big men go to die." (Okafor never existed, apparently.)

2) Duke gets all the calls. There were no fouls in the last minute of the game and how dare Coach K even suggest(!) that a call might've gone against Duke. Even if one call did go against Duke (which we're not saying it did), the world is owed about 10,000 more to even get close to making up the difference.

3) Coach K is a poor sport. Apparently after last night's game Coach K didn't shake all the opposing players hands? That shows what a sore loser he is. He has always been a poor sport (even when he went on to the Indiana bus after a tough NCAA loss and congratulated the players [he asks hypothetically]?

4) Coach K has been buying off the refs for years. Hard to believe these refs didn't go along.

5) Even if Duke loses 12 games, they will get into the NCAA tournament with a ridiculously high seed, and draw the easiest possible road to the Final Four.

Some other minor points: It is "time for Coach K to call up some mythical back issues" because he wouldn't want to have these losses count. Does nobody remember 2007? Coach K should quit coaching; the game has "passed him by." (Does nobody remember last year?)

The only one I want to ask about is what happened in the post-game handshake line? Anybody got any inside info on that?

Otherwise, I had to laugh at the haters who obviously didn't even watch the game and just dusted off and trotted out the same tired old tirades.

Yep, predictable as death and taxes...

freshmanjs
01-19-2016, 01:11 PM
Wouldn't have it any other way. The alternative is Duke not being good enough to be worth hating. My approach is to generally just laugh it off and not argue with any of it. The championships count. The winning counts. Who cares what they think.

eddiehaskell
01-19-2016, 01:35 PM
What...12 Final Fours in 30 years? I can't really blame people for hating that. Granted, UNC had a lot of success along with an epic scandal, but I guess MJ and street cred gives them a pass. :D

johnb
01-19-2016, 01:48 PM
I'm very biased in favor of Duke, but...

K did seem to skip most of the handshakes, which is unlike him, and, unless there's some other explanation, was not his finest moment. And not his worst. Just kinda mediocre, if you ask me.

The late contact with Matt Jones was marginal, and I'm satisfied that they didn't call it.

We're thin, but we have a whole bunch of elite prospects and only one injury. Based on recruiting, we should be better and deeper than we are. But that's what makes 2016 more difficult than Wooden's era. We don't get to have 15 players on a team.

DukieTiger
01-19-2016, 01:49 PM
What...12 Final Fours in 30 years? I can't really blame people for hating that. Granted, UNC had a lot of success along with an epic scandal, but I guess MJ and street cred gives them a pass. :D

More like spending millions of tax-payers' dollars on PR campaigns to minimize damage.

DukieTiger
01-19-2016, 01:52 PM

K did seem to skip most of the handshakes, which is unlike him, and, unless there's some other explanation, was not his finest moment. And not his worst. Just kinda mediocre, if you ask me.

The late contact with Matt Jones was marginal, and I'm satisfied that they didn't call it.

We're thin, but we have a whole bunch of elite prospects and only one injury. Based on recruiting, we should be better and deeper than we are. But that's what makes 2016 more difficult than Wooden's era. We don't get to have 15 players on a team.

I mean, only one injury in addition to two transfers and two semi-unexpected early entries.

Duke only signed 4 post players between 2011 and 2015. One is starting, one is injured, one is in the NBA, one is young and not ready to contribute. I say that based on recruiting, it's not surprising we're this thin.

jacone21
01-19-2016, 02:18 PM
Why read the comments?

Is it like when my sweet Southern grandmother used to watch Jerry Springer? I once asked her, "Nana, why in the world do you watch that trashy show?"

Her reply: "Hunny, I watch it just to be sick."

Devil2
01-19-2016, 02:51 PM

T

here was a story that quoted Boeheim as telling reporters that K had heard some Duke spectators taunting some Syracuse players. Boeheim said K skipped part of the line to quiet the spectators. As Boeheim said, by that time the refs were "long gone"

jv001
01-19-2016, 03:15 PM
here was a story that quoted Boeheim as telling reporters that K had heard some Duke spectators taunting some Syracuse players. Boeheim said K skipped part of the line to quiet the spectators. As Boeheim said, by that time the refs were "long gone"

This sounds like what probably happened. I told my wife K is looking for the refs. So, I was apparently wrong as well. GoDuke!

oldnavy
01-19-2016, 03:19 PM

Hummm... maybe, but looked like K was looking well past where any Syracuse players were... But something sure had his attention down the court.

Bottom line is... it isn't a big deal even at it's worst. Coach K shakes a couple of hands and skips a couple of hands because he's hot after a close loss... he didn't punch anyone, he didn't throw anything... what's the big deal?

As I posted before, given some of the things coaches in this conference have been caught doing on and off the court, Coach K is Man of the Millennium material.

jv001
01-19-2016, 03:23 PM
Hummm... maybe, but looked like K was looking well past where any Syracuse players were... But something sure had his attention down the court.

Bottom line is... it isn't a big deal even at it's worst. Coach K shakes a couple of hands and skips a couple of hands because he's hot after a close loss... he didn't punch anyone, he didn't throw anything... what's the big deal?

As I posted before, given some of the things coaches in this conference have been caught doing on and off the court, Coach K is Man of the Millennium material.

Not to mention Gary Williams never doing anything to stop the Maryland thug fans from throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the Duke section. I've never heard the media give him any negative press over that issue. GoDuke!

BluDvlsN1
01-19-2016, 03:36 PM
Wouldn't have it any other way. The alternative is Duke not being good enough to be worth hating. My approach is to generally just laugh it off and not argue with any of it. The championships count. The winning counts. Who cares what they think.

Exactly how we have talked and thought about here for years.
Every dip or even a single loss, brings them out,
Even ESPN placement of articles on their site is so transparent.

Regarding unc, after they beat us 2/20/14 in ch, it was a celebration
normally reserved for a National Championship..

Then we win home and away last year and we have our celebration, bon fire,
and it's all purportionate.

It's ALL so comical to watch!

"The greatest revenge is massive success".
--Frank Sinatra

chrishoke
01-19-2016, 05:08 PM

Here's the link. www.syracuse.com/axeman/index....k_for_refs.html

duke79
01-19-2016, 06:04 PM
Here's the link. www.syracuse.com/axeman/index...k_for_refs.html

I watched the video on the link. It does not look to me like Coach K was deliberately not shaking the players' hands our of anger but he does seem distracted and looking for something else beyond the end of the player line but the video ends too soon to see what he is really going after - perhaps some students or someone else?

johnb
01-19-2016, 06:19 PM
I mean, only one injury in addition to two transfers and two semi-unexpected early entries.

Duke only signed 4 post players between 2011 and 2015. One is starting, one is injured, one is in the NBA, one is young and not ready to contribute. I say that based on recruiting, it's not surprising we're this thin.

I hear you, but I don't think anyone is going to give us a pass: we stand at the very top of the recruiting pecking order... if we don't have enough players who can compete, that's on us. Basketball in 2016 is a relatively lean enterprise, so if we're recruiting top 10 players who are likely to go pro, a single guy going out can mean the difference between a good and a very good season (and obviously, this is still a good season that has a lot of potential).

Oh, and nice to hear the explanation about the handshake stuff. It's a small thing, but it did seem out of character. Going after justice (spelled correctly), is definitely in K's toolbox

BlueandWhite
01-19-2016, 08:15 PM
Not to mention Gary Williams never doing anything to stop the Maryland thug fans from throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the Duke section. I've never heard the media give him any negative press over that issue. GoDuke!

Thanks for mentioning Maryland and their boorish fans.

I'll need to go and find the video clip of 10 points gone in 60 seconds at College Park from January 2001...,I think that game was now almost 15 years ago to the day?

oldnavy
01-20-2016, 08:58 AM
I watched the video on the link. It does not look to me like Coach K was deliberately not shaking the players' hands our of anger but he does seem distracted and looking for something else beyond the end of the player line but the video ends too soon to see what he is really going after - perhaps some students or someone else?

Yea, if he wanted to just by-pass the line he would have cut a bee line across the court, something or someone caught his attention after he started.

jwillfan
01-20-2016, 11:03 AM
I'll just leave this here: http://sethcurrysavesduke.blogspot.com/2010/04/morning-champs.html

Tom B.
01-20-2016, 11:05 AM
I'll need to go and find the video clip of 10 points gone in 60 seconds at College Park from January 2001...,I think that game was now almost 15 years ago to the day?

Close. The 15th anniversary of that game will be one week from today. It was January 27, 2001 (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=20010127).

DukieInKansas
01-20-2016, 02:43 PM
I'll just leave this here: http://sethcurrysavesduke.blogspot.com/2010/04/morning-champs.html

I don't recall having read that before. Thank you for sharing - it was great.

JPtheGame
01-20-2016, 05:39 PM

If youre talking about the contact on Jones' lasts second heave, fine. That shots not going in so it probably didnt impact the play.
If youre referring to the contact at the foul line that totally changed who ended up with possession of the ball, no way. If it changes the outcome of the play, it should be called.

Tom B.
01-20-2016, 05:48 PM
If youre referring to the contact at the foul line that totally changed who ended up with possession of the ball, no way. If it changes the outcome of the play, it should be called.

Yeah. It was a bang-bang play, but Matt got to the ball first and actually had it in his hands for a split second, before the Syracuse player collided with him and knocked it away. There was no way for the Syracuse player to avoid the collision -- he'd already committed to going for the ball, and he had too much momentum to stop himself. But when you do that, you assume the risk that someone else will get there first -- and if that happens, any resulting collision is a foul on you.