PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Men's U.S. National Basketball Team

Tom B.
01-18-2016, 01:53 PM
30 finalists announced for the 2016 U.S. National Team, which will compete in the Rio Olympics.

Link. (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25453491/curry-cousins-among-30-finalists-for-team-usas-2016-olympics-roster)

LaMarcus Aldridge (San Antonio Spurs)
Carmelo Anthony (New York Knicks)
Harrison Barnes (Golden State Warriors)
Bradley Beal (Washington Wizards)
Jimmy Butler (Chicago Bulls)
Mike Conley (Memphis Grizzlies)
DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento Kings)
Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors)
Anthony Davis (New Orleans Pelicans)
DeMar DeRozan (Toronto Raptors)
Andre Drummond (Detroit Pistons)
Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder)
Kenneth Faried (Denver Nuggets)
Rudy Gay (Sacramento Kings)
Paul George (Indiana Pacers)
Draymond Green (Golden State Warriors)
Blake Griffin (Los Angeles Clippers)
James Harden (Houston Rockets)
Gordon Hayward (Utah Jazz)
Dwight Howard (Houston Rockets)
Andre Iguodala (Golden State Warriors)
Kyrie Irving (Cleveland Cavaliers)
LeBron James (Cleveland Cavaliers)
DeAndre Jordan (Los Angeles Clippers)
Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio Spurs)
Kevin Love (Cleveland Cavaliers)
Chris Paul (Los Angeles Clippers)
Klay Thompson (Golden State Warriors)
John Wall (Washington Wizards)
Russell Westbrook (Oklahoma City Thunder)

gurufrisbee
01-18-2016, 02:05 PM
Is this where we all start making our predictions about which 12 will make it? Or do we just talk about how much we're going to cruise to gold no matter which dozen get picked?

devildeac
01-18-2016, 02:08 PM
30 finalists announced for the 2016 U.S. National Team, which will compete in the Rio Olympics.

Link. (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25453491/curry-cousins-among-30-finalists-for-team-usas-2016-olympics-roster)

WTH? No Plumlee? ;):rolleyes:

elvis14
01-18-2016, 02:50 PM
Is this where we all start making our predictions about which 12 will make it? Or do we just talk about how much we're going to cruise to gold no matter which dozen get picked?

Wow, trying to get that list down to 12 is really hard. I took a first pass and came up with 16 and I left off some guys that could easily be argued onto any team:

Butler 3
Cousins 5
Curry 1
Davis 5
Durant 3
George 3
Green 4
Griffin 4
Harding 2
Irving 1
James 3
Jordan 5
Leonard 3
Paul 3
Thompson 2
Westbrook 1

We should be allowed to enter 2 teams!

weezie
01-18-2016, 02:51 PM
When's the next cut?

kAzE
01-18-2016, 02:58 PM

I'm assuming the old guard (LeBron, Melo, CP3) will sit this one out. So, if I'm Coach K, I'm going with these 12:

C: Anthony Davis
F: Kevin Durant
F: Kawhi Leonard
G: Stephen Curry
G: Kyrie Irving
6: Russell Westbrook
7: James Harden
8: Blake Griffin
9: Draymond Green
10: Paul George
11: Klay Thompson
12: DeMarcus Cousins

I picked the team based purely on fit in the 1st and 2nd units. I think Russell and Steph are clearly the best 2 guards in the world, but would have a hard time playing with each other, whereas both Kyrie and Steph are able to play on or off the ball, giving the lineup much more flexibility. Actually, I'm not sure James Harden is capable of fitting in with another ball dominant guard either, but IMO he's not as good as Westbrook with the ball, and COULD operate as a spot up guy if needed. However, basically any 12 from that list is close to guaranteed money in the bank to win the gold medal. Can't go wrong with almost anybody there.

gurufrisbee
01-18-2016, 03:04 PM
Wow, trying to get that list down to 12 is really hard. I took a first pass and came up with 16 and I left off some guys that could easily be argued onto any team:

That's awesome. I did pretty much the same thing - and came up with 17.

Butler
Cousins
Curry
Davis
Drummond
Durant
George
Green
Griffin
Harden
Irving
James
Leonard
Paul
Thompson
Wall
Westbrook

If I had to cut it down to 12, right now I think Butler, Cousins, Green, Thompson, and Wall are out, but that feels very soft.

kAzE
01-18-2016, 03:12 PM
That's awesome. I did pretty much the same thing - and came up with 17.

Butler
Cousins
Curry
Davis
Drummond
Durant
George
Green
Griffin
Harden
Irving
James
Leonard
Paul
Thompson
Wall
Westbrook

If I had to cut it down to 12, right now I think Butler, Cousins, Green, Thompson, and Wall are out, but that feels very soft.

I left Drummond out just because Griffin and Davis offer similar rebounding dominance without the huge foul shooting liability. Bigs who can knock down a jumper are very valuable in international play. Also, I look for bouncier, quicker bigs who can get off multiple jumps quickly, because of the non-goaltending rule. Kenneth Faried comes to mind as well, but his lack of a jumper hurts him. Wall gets left out for me because he's basically a worse-shooting, slightly less dynamic version of Westbrook. Also, with the 12 that I selected from above, the only player on the roster who isn't capable of grabbing a defensive rebound and taking the ball coast to coast for a dunk or an assist is DeMarcus Cousins. That other 11 are all excellent ball handlers/play makers at their respective positions.

CDu
01-18-2016, 03:43 PM
For fun, let's look at it by positions:

Bigs: Davis, Drummond, Cousins, Howard, Love, Aldridge, Griffin, Jordan
Big fowards (remember - we tend to play a bigger SF here rather than a PF): Durant, James, Leonard, Faried, Anthony, George, DeRozan, Green, Iguodala, Gay, Barnes
Wings: Thompson, Harden, Hayward, Butler, Beal, Westbrook
PG: Paul, Curry, Irving, Wall, Conley

If I had to guess, and assuming all 30 participate (abig assumption), I would say Paul, Irving, Curry, Westbrook, Harden, Thompson, Durant, James, Leonard, Davis, Griffin, and Cousins make it.

And I think the second team of Wall, Conley, Beal, Butler, George, Anthony, Gay, Green, Faried, Love, Aldridge, and Drummond would dominate any other country too. And that STILL leaves out Howard, Jordan, DeRozan, Barnes, Iguodala, and Hayward. Not to mention plenty of talent not even invited.

For example, a third team of Lillard, Teague, Lowry, Redick, Wade, Barnes, Hayward, DeRozan, Iguodala, Howard, Jordan, and Lopez probably also wins it all.

Now, if we get to a fourth team? Not sure if Rose, Thomas, Rondo, Williams, McCollum, Matthews, Korver, Crowder, Millsap, Bosh, Monroe, and Okafor gets it done.

gurufrisbee
01-18-2016, 04:23 PM
I left Drummond out just because Griffin and Davis offer similar rebounding dominance without the huge foul shooting liability. Bigs who can knock down a jumper are very valuable in international play. Also, I look for bouncier, quicker bigs who can get off multiple jumps quickly, because of the non-goaltending rule. Kenneth Faried comes to mind as well, but his lack of a jumper hurts him. Wall gets left out for me because he's basically a worse-shooting, slightly less dynamic version of Westbrook. Also, with the 12 that I selected from above, the only player on the roster who isn't capable of grabbing a defensive rebound and taking the ball coast to coast for a dunk or an assist is DeMarcus Cousins. That other 11 are all excellent ball handlers/play makers at their respective positions.

That all makes sense and is very reasonable and logical and possible. That's part of what is great about this - there really isn't a BAD roster of 12 that you can make from this group and good arguments all the way around about it.

It's also tricky, because just as easily as you can say "Coach K did this recently with his roster...." you can also look and see where he went a different direction another time with it.

Lebron, Curry, Davis, and Durant are locked in. Start with those four - no question.

I think Harden and Westbrook are still both so good and have been so good in the league and for Coach K for the USA they are in.

My thinking was this - Curry and Harden and Westbrook have all been terrific, but none were ever really used as the primary ball handler by Coach K, even though all have good experience in the NBA being the guy on their team who often has the ball in their hands. Really Lebron pretty much is that way too, but at a bigger position. But even with all those guys, I feel like Coach K is still going to want two guys to be more of the point guard. So I see Irving as one and then either Paul or Wall as the other (probably just depending on if Paul wants to and shows he isn't too old for what the squad is looking at).

That's eight. I think Leonard and George and Griffin are three in as well. Leonard is at such a crazy good level right now and can really do everything on the floor and with Pops taking over I feel like he is going to want one of his young guys on the team now who could be on it in 2020, too. George gets in because his talent and versatility and it's a good move considering what happened with his injury. Griffin also has enormous talent and the team needs a big and he had some unfortunate injury history keeping him out before.

Now we're at 11. Even though the team can go small and likely will a lot with Durant/Lebron/George playing the 4, it's a smart roster move to add a third legit big. I think that really means either Cousins or Drummond. Yes, Cousins shoots better, but if it's a close game and you are worried about hack-a-whoever then you can always go extra small and have a front line of Durant, Lebron, and George (or Davis or Griffin who are both in the mid 70's on FT). Drummond's rebounding is so good and he's a bit better defensively both in blocks and steals. I just remember when Dwight Howard was on the team and always benched for Bosh in crunch times because of the free throw thing, but was so good and big the rest of the time.

And even when I do that, I can easily see a line up of Wall, Butler, Klay, Green, and Cousins being enough to beat that squad more than once or twice.

kAzE
01-18-2016, 04:39 PM
I have a hunch that Curry is going to be used much more extensively as the primary ball handler this time around. It's a toss up between him and Kyrie for the best ball handler in basketball, and both of them are perimeter marksmen, so having both of them on the floor at the same time creates an unguardable back court.

Like I said before, I'd be extremely surprised if LeBron, Melo, or CP3 commit to another Olympic summer. LeBron and CP3 will be fresh off of exhausting playoff runs, and rest for another NBA grind will be on their minds when it's time to put together this roster. It's time for the younger generation to carry the torch. For me, the locks to make the team are Curry, Davis, Durant, Westbrook, and Leonard. Kyrie is almost a lock, depending on his health. He was the MVP of the 2014 team.

George, Harden, and Thompson are on the next tier of guys who should make the team, as versatile scorers who can also get it done on defense. That's 9 players, and I'm counting Davis, Leonard, Durant, and George as all capable of playing power forward. However, only Davis can truly play center. That's why I'm including Griffin and Green. Both are play making bigs who can score, rebound, defend, and play either center or power forward. They give us a ton of options for lineups. Lastly, I included Cousins JUST to bang with Marc Gasol and other 7 footers as needed.

Indoor66
01-18-2016, 04:46 PM
I have a hunch that Curry is going to be used much more extensively as the primary ball handler this time around. It's a toss up between him and Kyrie for the best ball handler in basketball, and both of them are perimeter marksmen, so having both of them on the floor at the same time creates an unguardable back court.

Like I said before, I'd be extremely surprised if LeBron, Melo, or CP3 commit to another Olympic summer. LeBron and CP3 will be fresh off of exhausting playoff runs, and rest for another NBA grind will be on their minds when it's time to put together this roster. It's time for the younger generation to carry the torch. For me, the locks to make the team are Curry, Davis, Durant, Westbrook, and Leonard. Kyrie is almost a lock, depending on his health. He was the MVP of the 2014 team.

George, Harden, and Thompson are on the next tier of guys who should make the team, as versatile scorers who can also get it done on defense. That's 9 players, and I'm counting Davis, Leonard, Durant, and George as all capable of playing power forward. However, only Davis can truly play center. That's why I'm including Griffin and Green. Both are play making bigs who can score, rebound, defend, and play either center or power forward. They give us a ton of options for lineups. Lastly, I included Cousins JUST to bang with Marc Gasol and other 7 footers as needed.

IMO there is NO way Curry does not start in the 2016 Olympics (save something unthinkable keeping him off the team).

kAzE
01-18-2016, 04:48 PM
IMO there is NO way Curie does not start in the 2016 Olympics (save something unthinkable keeping him off the team).

I'm confused . . . in what part of my post did I say anything about not including Curry? I said he's a lock to make the team, and that he should start along with Kyrie . . .

Unless "Curie" means LeBron or Chris Paul? Not following.

Indoor66
01-18-2016, 04:51 PM
I'm confused . . . in what part of my post did I say anything about not including Curry? I said he's a lock to make the team, and that he should start along with Kyrie . . .

Unless "Curie" means LeBron or Chris Paul? Not following.

Nothing was directed at you or anyone else.

I was making a declarative opinion on the guard discussion, not challenging anyone. :cool:

I am not obtuse in differing with others.;)

JasonEvans
01-18-2016, 04:55 PM
Harding

Tonya or Warren G?

BD80
01-18-2016, 05:01 PM
IMO there is NO way Curie does not start in the 2016 Olympics ...

Madame, surely you jest ...

fraggler
01-18-2016, 05:23 PM
Don't sleep on Cousins. He acquitted himself well in the last competition. Plus he is shooting respectably (for a true center) from 3 pt range now. Drummond is a freak, but doesn't have the ball skills that Cousins has. I think Davis and Cousins are locks as the primary centers.

gurufrisbee
01-18-2016, 05:49 PM
Don't sleep on Cousins. He acquitted himself well in the last competition. Plus he is shooting respectably (for a true center) from 3 pt range now. Drummond is a freak, but doesn't have the ball skills that Cousins has. I think Davis and Cousins are locks as the primary centers.

Very possible.

Not sure that no matter how respectable his 3 pt shot is right now if he's on a team with Irving, Harden, Curry, Durant, etc. that I want him shooting the three's.

kAzE
01-18-2016, 06:01 PM

Honestly, I would play Draymond Green at center over Cousins right now, especially with international rules. The Warriors' lineup with Green at C, Barnes at PF, with Iggy, Klay, and Steph is the most unguardable lineup in the NBA. Point-centers are the new rage in the NBA.

devildeac
01-18-2016, 06:31 PM
Madame, surely you jest ...

Didn't take much of a half-life for radiation to the puns to occur...

Indoor66
01-18-2016, 06:37 PM
Didn't take much of a half-life for radiation to the puns to occur...

Ya can't slip one by you tacks. :p:D:cool:

fraggler
01-18-2016, 06:58 PM
Honestly, I would play Draymond Green at center over Cousins right now, especially with international rules. The Warriors' lineup with Green at C, Barnes at PF, with Iggy, Klay, and Steph is the most unguardable lineup in the NBA. Point-centers are the new rage in the NBA.

I watched most of the games he played with Team USA. He was great. Kept his cool, and the one time it looked like he was going to lose it, he made Valanciunas of Lithuania (and the Raptors) flinch so hard, he might as well have thrown a punch. It was very funny, and a testament to what strong coaching and players around him can bring out (ala Rodman with Jordan, Pippen, and Phil around). He can bang when we need to (there are still some big dudes playing international ball), but has the ball skills for uptempo. I don't want him jacking threes with the shooting talent available for Team USA, but I mentioned it because he isn't limited to volleyball rebounding and dunks like Drummond.

Don't get me wrong, I think Cousins is a headcase and I don't really have any particular affinity to him, but when he is focused (and being surrounded by Team USA players seemed to do it for him), he is the best true center in the world. And that is what I want to see on Team USA.

Plus this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjV0z87nxQI

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-19-2016, 07:13 AM

Let me take a stab at this
G Curry
G Kyrie
G Jimmy Butler
F Melo
C Anthony Davis
6 Cousins
7 Kawhi Leonard
8 Paul George
9 Blake Griffin
10 Russell Westbrook
11 Durant
12 Lebron

Thats assuming Durant and Lebron want to play, which my gut tells me they will want one last shot at it, kind of a farewell tour. If they don't go I'd replace them with Drummand and Derozan

I put Melo in the lineup because hes proven to be one of the most effective players in US history in International ball. If we decide to go away from him or if he chooses to not play I would go with Aldridge or Faried

I don't remember has this final 30 goes, if they just put 30 players they want to take without even asking them or if they ask the players if they want to play before adding them to the finalist list. I don't see how you don't take Leborn, Durant, and Melo if they want to play.

Finally I am glad Kobe decided to not want to play, he wouldn't have been on the finalist list anyway.