PDA

View Full Version : Football signing day -- Feb. 3

Olympic Fan
01-13-2016, 01:31 PM
Three weeks until signing day ... I wanted to start this thread to count down to what looms as the most important football recruiting day in modern Duke history.

I don't think I exaggerate. So far, Cut has built his program -- four straight bowl seasons -- on two-star and three-star players. As good as he is at evaluating talent, if Duke is going to take the next step, he's got to start adding more four-star -- and even five-star -- prospects.

And that's exactly what he's doing in this year's class -- if he can hold it together down the stretch.

Cut currently has 21 commitments ... 22 if you count long snapper Ben Wyatt, who is coming as a preferred walk-on (after turning down scholarship offers from several other schools).

That 21-man class is ranked No. 24 in the nation by both Rivals and Scout and 26th nationally by ESPN. All three services have Duke as the fourth-ranked ACC team (behind FSU, Clemson and Miami). Obviously, that could change by signing day, but if Cut holds on to these 21 kids, it's going to be the best recruiting class that Duke has had since people started tracking these things.

It includes four "top 300" prospects in both Scout and ESPN ... Rivals does a "top 250" and Duke gets three guys. It's interesting but that seven different prospects make one of those three lists -- S Singleton (Scout, ESPN), TE Birmingham (Scout, ESPN), WR Bracey (Scout, Rivals) and OT Kraeling (ESPN and Rivals) make two of the three lists, LB Hill (Scout), LB Quansah (Rivals) and DE Okonya (ESPN) make one of the top lists.

In all, 11 of the 21 players in the class earned four star status by at least one of the three services: the seven prospects listed above, plus RB Brown, CB Gilbert, OL Santos, OL Smith.

This class is very strong at DE, OL, LB and the secondary. It includes a number of very valuable skill performers -- PK Reed, Bracey at WR, Brown at RB, Devreaux at RB/WR, Birmingham at TE.

There is not a QB in the class (not after Surratt defected to UNC) and there are no DTs, but otherwise it is an amazingly balanced class.

There is a chance that Duke could add one more four-star prospect (and top 300 guy) in Cincinnati DE Prince Sammons. But more important than adding to the class is holding the class. Several SEC schools have continued to pursue Singleton and DE Lucas has also been a target of at least two Big 10 schools. I have no ideas what pressure have been applied to Birmingham out West. Right now, the word is that all of them are holding firm, but we won't know for sure until Feb. 3.

It's going to be a long three weeks.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-13-2016, 02:46 PM
This is amazing, 11 four stars would be huge. I can't imagine what Cut could do with that kind of talent especially if the next class following this one has similar results. I will admit that I have grown a bit frustrated with the football teams progress, and the let downs. Which that statement blows me away given where we were before Cut got here. We have to start competing with UNC, with or without NCAA violations and sanctions. Miami with a new coach is going to get a whole lot better in the coming years, they already get monster talent now they have a coach who can actually use that talent. The Coastal is about to get a lot tougher to win, and we will have to start playing Clemson and FSU for a while so the schedule will be much harder. Hopefully this class gets us from mid level bowl games, to top tier bowl games. I don't expect playoffs but a Florida bowl every few seasons would be nice. We are recruiting at top 5 in our conference now lets start bowling in the top 5 as well.

Go Duke Football!!!

budwom
01-13-2016, 04:59 PM
We've gone about as far as we can/could go with the talent we've recruited. The tougher schedule of the next few years, along with possibly better teams at Miami, VT and UVA due to
coaching changes demands that we have better talent to compete, so the timing is excellent.

Now to progress to elite status, we need more classes like this one.

jimsumner
01-13-2016, 05:23 PM
Lucas has apparently cancelled all other visits and is solid for Duke.

And Mark Birmingham is from Ashburn, Virginia. Not sure why Duke should be worried about schools out west.

BigWayne
01-13-2016, 05:27 PM
This is amazing, 11 four stars would be huge. I can't imagine what Cut could do with that kind of talent especially if the next class following this one has similar results. I will admit that I have grown a bit frustrated with the football teams progress, and the let downs. Which that statement blows me away given where we were before Cut got here. We have to start competing with UNC, with or without NCAA violations and sanctions. Miami with a new coach is going to get a whole lot better in the coming years, they already get monster talent now they have a coach who can actually use that talent. The Coastal is about to get a lot tougher to win, and we will have to start playing Clemson and FSU for a while so the schedule will be much harder. Hopefully this class gets us from mid level bowl games, to top tier bowl games. I don't expect playoffs but a Florida bowl every few seasons would be nice. We are recruiting at top 5 in our conference now lets start bowling in the top 5 as well.

Go Duke Football!!!

With the ACC at 14 football teams and playing 8 conference games, we play Wake and only one other Atlantic team each year. We will only play FSU or Clemson, not both. Having ND 3 out of the next 5 years and home and home series with NW and Baylor is a bigger factor.

Bob Green
01-13-2016, 05:42 PM
Three weeks until signing day ... I wanted to start this thread to count down to what looms as the most important football recruiting day in modern Duke history.

Thanks for starting a thread on this extremely important topic. Holding this class together is critical and the first step toward bringing in similar talent in 2017, 18 and beyond. The future of the Duke football program is bright! After February 3rd, it will be a little bit brighter if all 21 players sign with Duke.

OldPhiKap
01-13-2016, 06:55 PM
#DukeGang

Olympic Fan
01-14-2016, 12:42 PM
Just one small correction/addition to my original post:

Duke already has two members of this class enrolled on and on campus:

Four-star CB Mark Gilbert of Fayetteville, NC and three-star ATH (some debate as to whether he ends up at TE, DE of LB) Jacob Morgenstern of New Caanan, Ct.

So, just 19 more to hang onto to ...

duke blue brewcrew
01-14-2016, 03:40 PM

I don't think I exaggerate. So far, Cut has built his program -- four straight bowl seasons -- on two-star and three-star players. As good as he is at evaluating talent, if Duke is going to take the next step, he's got to start adding more four-star -- and even five-star -- prospects.

And that's exactly what he's doing in this year's class -- if he can hold it together down the stretch.

Cut currently has 21 commitments ... 22 if you count long snapper Ben Wyatt, who is coming as a preferred walk-on (after turning down scholarship offers from several other schools).

That 21-man class is ranked No. 24 in the nation by both Rivals and Scout and 26th nationally by ESPN. All three services have Duke as the fourth-ranked ACC team (behind FSU, Clemson and Miami). Obviously, that could change by signing day, but if Cut holds on to these 21 kids, it's going to be the best recruiting class that Duke has had since people started tracking these things.

It includes four "top 300" prospects in both Scout and ESPN ... Rivals does a "top 250" and Duke gets three guys. It's interesting but that seven different prospects make one of those three lists -- S Singleton (Scout, ESPN), TE Birmingham (Scout, ESPN), WR Bracey (Scout, Rivals) and OT Kraeling (ESPN and Rivals) make two of the three lists, LB Hill (Scout), LB Quansah (Rivals) and DE Okonya (ESPN) make one of the top lists.

In all, 11 of the 21 players in the class earned four star status by at least one of the three services: the seven prospects listed above, plus RB Brown, CB Gilbert, OL Santos, OL Smith.

This class is very strong at DE, OL, LB and the secondary. It includes a number of very valuable skill performers -- PK Reed, Bracey at WR, Brown at RB, Devreaux at RB/WR, Birmingham at TE.

There is not a QB in the class (not after Surratt defected to UNC) and there are no DTs, but otherwise it is an amazingly balanced class.

There is a chance that Duke could add one more four-star prospect (and top 300 guy) in Cincinnati DE Prince Sammons. But more important than adding to the class is holding the class. Several SEC schools have continued to pursue Singleton and DE Lucas has also been a target of at least two Big 10 schools. I have no ideas what pressure have been applied to Birmingham out West. Right now, the word is that all of them are holding firm, but we won't know for sure until Feb. 3.

It's going to be a long three weeks.

Great post Oly! One question - Shouldn't Bo Peek be added to the list of potential additions for this class? I believe he takes an official this weekend IIRC.

Avvocato
01-14-2016, 04:18 PM
One question about Prince Sammons. Is he a DE or an OT? I've seen him listed as both. ESPN's recruiting page gave their projections on where they believe the uncommitted Top 300 will land. They project Sammons, as an OT, to Michigan St. right now. The link is below (though it's an ESPN Insider story).

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/insider/story/_/id/14561898/recruiting-updates-every-top-uncommitted-player-2016-class

Bob Green
01-14-2016, 04:26 PM
One question about Prince Sammons. Is he a DE or an OT?

He is both. It seems he has received the most press accolades as a DE but I've read articles which indicate his future is as an OT.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-15-2016, 08:39 AM
Any chance we steal a few verbals from other schools, and sign them to Duke LOI's? Or is the list we have pretty set in stone as far as who we are recruiting?

OZZIE4DUKE
01-15-2016, 08:40 AM
He is both. It seems he has received the most press accolades as a DE but I've read articles which indicate his future is as an OT.
So if he comes to Duke he can be the next Laken Thomlinson and a future #1 draft pick! :cool: LGD GTHc!

Hingeknocker
01-15-2016, 10:01 AM
Any chance we steal a few verbals from other schools, and sign them to Duke LOI's? Or is the list we have pretty set in stone as far as who we are recruiting?

Bo Peek - mentioned above - fits the bill here. He's a Stanford commit, but is visiting Duke prior to signing day. Some discussion about whether he's going to get admitted into Stanford at all, which could explain why he's looking around at other options. He'd be a great addition to this class - 3-star DTs are always nice to have!

Avvocato
01-15-2016, 04:18 PM
Not really a recruiting article, but ESPN's ACC blog posted the below regarding the Duke season and a brief look towards next year. Nothing earth shattering, but fair, I think.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/90313/season-wrap-dukes-up-and-down-season-ends-with-historic-bowl-win

jimsumner
01-15-2016, 05:12 PM
Not really a recruiting article, but ESPN's ACC blog posted the below regarding the Duke season and a brief look towards next year. Nothing earth shattering, but fair, I think.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/90313/season-wrap-dukes-up-and-down-season-ends-with-historic-bowl-win

Why would you count Kelby Brown as a departing defensive starter? Makes zero sense.

Avvocato
01-15-2016, 07:02 PM
Why would you count Kelby Brown as a departing defensive starter? Makes zero sense.

Agreed, especially since he hadn't started in 2 years from injuries. I actually ignored that part as ridiculous and moved on.

-jk
01-15-2016, 09:35 PM

Wait! I saw him in the Pinstripe!

-jk

devildeac
01-16-2016, 01:51 AM

-jk

Ben Humphreys and his 11 tackles say hi!

(I'm guessing/hoping you know the story already ;) .)

OldPhiKap
01-16-2016, 09:09 AM

-jk

Yeah, but on a bad note I did not see Humphries on the sideline. Is he hurt? Maybe transferring?

budwom
01-16-2016, 09:10 AM
Ben Humphreys and his 11 tackles say hi!

(I'm guessing/hoping you know the story already ;) .)

I've seen preseason articles written primarily by looking at the Spring game box score, where the writer doesn't even realize
a guy he's mentioning is a walkon with virtually no chance of playing. Some writers don't give 110% every time out...

devildeac
01-16-2016, 10:54 AM
I've seen preseason articles written primarily by looking at the Spring game box score, where the writer doesn't even realize
a guy he's mentioning is a walkon with virtually no chance of playing. Some writers don't give 110% every time out...

Not quite sure what this comment means but here ya go:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2015-12-26-duke.html

Looks like 5 solo and 6 assisted tackles which adds up to 11 for me, good enough for 2nd best on the team that afternoon. Maybe not quite Kelby-like but I'm thinking/hoping Humphreys is going to be a very good LB for his 4 years, knees willing.

budwom
01-16-2016, 11:36 AM
Not quite sure what this comment means but here ya go:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2015-12-26-duke.html

Looks like 5 solo and 6 assisted tackles which adds up to 11 for me, good enough for 2nd best on the team that afternoon. Maybe not quite Kelby-like but I'm thinking/hoping Humphreys is going to be a very good LB for his 4 years, knees willing.

Not sure what you're responding to....Humphreys is clearly a great prospect, I wasn't implying otherwise. I'm just noting
that a lot of preseason articles are poorly researched, hence you get comments such as Brown not returning as a starter,,

devildeac
01-16-2016, 11:43 AM
Not sure what you're responding to...Humphreys is clearly a great prospect, I wasn't implying otherwise. I'm just noting
that a lot of preseason articles are poorly researched, hence you get comments such as Brown not returning as a starter,,

Now I gotcha. We've been responding to different topics and not each other :o . Totally agreed on Humphreys.

duke blue brewcrew
01-16-2016, 09:09 PM
Yeah, but on a bad note I did not see Humphries on the sideline. Is he hurt? Maybe transferring?

Humphreys wore Kelby Brown's number in tribute to him during the Pinstripe Bowl. It sounds like Humphreys really looked up to him, and learned a lot from him this year.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2015/12/humphreys-wears-no-59-to-honor-injured-brown

OldPhiKap
01-16-2016, 09:46 PM
Humphreys wore Kelby Brown's number in tribute to him during the Pinstripe Bowl. It sounds like Humphreys really looked up to him, and learned a lot from him this year.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2015/12/humphreys-wears-no-59-to-honor-injured-brown

I know, it was a poor attempt at humor.

I should have used an emoji, but like our basketball coach I don't know how!

devildeac
01-16-2016, 10:17 PM

It's really simple. Get one of the YoungerOldPhiKaps to show you.

;)

duke blue brewcrew
01-17-2016, 08:13 AM

ah...HUMPHRIES. Sorry, I was a little slow on the uptake :)

OldPhiKap
01-17-2016, 08:28 AM
ah...HUMPHRIES. Sorry, I was a little slow on the uptake :)

No worries, I also got a pm asking if I knew about the jersey switch.

I need a straight face deadpan emoji. Or maybe one of the YOPKs will show it to me from the list.

OldPhiKap
01-17-2016, 08:30 AM
🦀🦀🦀🐌🐌🐌🐡🐡🐡🦃🕸. 🐿🐿🐿🐲🍾.

devildeac
01-17-2016, 08:58 AM
No worries, I also got a pm asking if I knew about the jersey switch.

I need a straight face deadpan emoji. Or maybe one of the YOPKs will show it to me from the list.

Ask and ye shall receive:

But, then again, that's just crazietalk...

;)

budwom
01-17-2016, 09:43 AM
Humphreys

Faison1
01-18-2016, 12:53 PM
Bumping this to the top....anyone with info is much appreciated.

Speculation is also accepted.....

budwom
01-18-2016, 02:16 PM
at this point, I'd say no news is good news. If we can keep this class together, it's a YOOOGE accomplishment.
Getting some defectors from elsewhere would be nice, too, but hardly necessary. Mr. Peek still appears to be
in admissions limbo at Stanford.

OZ
01-18-2016, 03:12 PM
Bumping this to the top...anyone with info is much appreciated.

Speculation is also accepted...

Let's let this disappear. Every time I see a new post, I hold my breath until I read it. No news is good news.

Avvocato
01-18-2016, 09:39 PM
Piece from ESPN.com on Duke's recruiting to solve its pass rushing needs.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/124677/how-recruiting-can-improve-dukes-pass-rush

budwom
01-19-2016, 08:47 AM
Piece from ESPN.com on Duke's recruiting to solve its pass rushing needs.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/124677/how-recruiting-can-improve-dukes-pass-rush

When your top sack guy among DEs has 1.5 sacks, you know you have a problem...at least it looks like
we have the horses to eventually get the job done among our new recruits and a few frosh already here...

duke blue brewcrew
01-19-2016, 11:31 AM
When your top sack guy among DEs has 1.5 sacks, you know you have a problem...at least it looks like
we have the horses to eventually get the job done among our new recruits and a few frosh already here...

At risk of sounding unappreciative of the efforts given by those before them, it sounds like there are potentially brighter days ahead for the D-Line. Duke needs to be able to apply pressure to the opposing QB w/o having to blitz. I'm hopeful that Price, McSwain, and Shabazz can continue to acclimate quickly, and pave the way for new incoming talent.

budwom
01-19-2016, 11:39 AM
At risk of sounding unappreciative of the efforts given by those before them, it sounds like there are potentially brighter days ahead for the D-Line. Duke needs to be able to apply pressure to the opposing QB w/o having to blitz. I'm hopeful that Price, McSwain, and Shabazz can continue to acclimate quickly, and pave the way for new incoming talent.

Regrettably, Shabazz may never have the health to play for Duke (it's been rumored), and McSwain is most likely to move to DT since he weighs at least 265.

But Mugala is a good prospect (redshirting) and Price as you say, plus the incomingfrosh...quite a few prospects there, maybe some
LB like Gagnon will move to end...

Olympic Fan
01-19-2016, 12:51 PM
Duke has an official recruiting weekend this Saturday (Jan. 22). Interesting that it would be timed for a non-basketball weekend.

Many of the kids coming this weekend will be 2017 prospects and 2016 guys who have already committed.

One uncommitted 2016 prospect scheduled to attend is Jonathan Jones, a solid three-star LB prospect from Orlando, Fla. His other two visits were to Michigan and Notre Dame. Stanford and Syracuse have also pursued him. This looks to be his last OV before signing day.

At 247, the Crystal Ball has Michigan at 78 percent and Notre Dame at 22 percent. But I like getting the last visit.

There could be other 2016 targets in the group. Don't know if Bo Peek (a 3 star DT who has committed to Stanford, but has been rumored to be wavering) will be visiting or not. It would be a good sign if he comes Saturday.

oldnavy
01-19-2016, 01:00 PM
Duke has an official recruiting weekend this Saturday (Jan. 22). Interesting that it would be timed for a non-basketball weekend.

Many of the kids coming this weekend will be 2017 prospects and 2016 guys who have already committed.

One uncommitted 2016 prospect scheduled to attend is Jonathan Jones, a solid three-star LB prospect from Orlando, Fla. His other two visits were to Michigan and Notre Dame. Stanford and Syracuse have also pursued him. This looks to be his last OV before signing day.

At 247, the Crystal Ball has Michigan at 78 percent and Notre Dame at 22 percent. But I like getting the last visit.

There could be other 2016 targets in the group. Don't know if Bo Peek (a 3 star DT who has committed to Stanford, but has been rumored to be wavering) will be visiting or not. It would be a good sign if he comes Saturday.

Do you think they knew??? :confused:

budwom
01-19-2016, 01:48 PM

Bo Peek isn't wavering, he's waiting on Stanford admissions. If he gets in, he goes to Stanford; otherwise we have a solid shot.
Jones would be a wonderful pickup, and I also would not rule him out...(if he actually makes the visit).

budwom
01-19-2016, 01:50 PM

well, the timing is right for this visit(signing day loometh)...and as Cut has grown his program, I think perhaps he doesn't feel the need to depend upon
hoops to entertain his recruits....

OZ
01-19-2016, 02:13 PM
Bo Peek isn't wavering, he's waiting on Stanford admissions. If he gets in, he goes to Stanford; otherwise we have a solid shot.

Am I missing something? Are the admission standards at Stanford that different from Duke; or is it another issue?

budwom
01-19-2016, 02:22 PM
Am I missing something? Are the admission standards at Stanford that different from Duke; or is it another issue?

Two things. The first is, yes, admissions are tougher, that's just a fact. Hats off to Stanford. (Yes, they do have some classes which cater to athletes, as
all schools do, but they are pretty tough on admissions).
Second: Their admissions office is known to take its time making decisions....someone in the know said at the present times, most of the football
commits have been admitted, several have been rejected, and several are in limbo (awaiting a decision, and Peek is one of them).
That decision will have to come soon given how close we are to signing day.

Olympic Fan
01-19-2016, 02:36 PM

I often have a hard time telling when somebody is joking on this boards, but for the record, this recruiting weekend was set up long before the basketball team's current losing streak.

And I'm pretty sure that Duke last big weekend (when we got Okonya and Lucas and didn't get Sammons ... not yet anyway) was also a non-basketball weekend.

For years, Cut did schedule his big recruiting weekends for home basketball games. Is this a change in strategy? Or is it just happenstance?

oldnavy
01-19-2016, 02:41 PM
I often have a hard time telling when somebody is joking on this boards, but for the record, this recruiting weekend was set up long before the basketball team's current losing streak.

And I'm pretty sure that Duke last big weekend (when we got Okonya and Lucas and didn't get Sammons ... not yet anyway) was also a non-basketball weekend.

For years, Cut did schedule his big recruiting weekends for home basketball games. Is this a change in strategy? Or is it just happenstance?

FTR, I was joking... I figured that the visits are planned weeks to months in advance.

Bob Green
01-19-2016, 03:05 PM
..and McSwain is most likely to move to DT since he weighs at least 265.

How confident are you in this statement? It seems to me a 6'6" 265 defensive end is exactly what we need to seal the edge and rush the passer. With the DT talent currently on the roster, McSwain staying at DE seems logical assuming he has the requisite speed. I know Coach Cutcliffe has a track record of moving players around but DE is a huge position of need.

-jk
01-19-2016, 03:56 PM
Some DC shuffling: a couple all-met guys just decommited from Maryland to Ohio State (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/recruiting-insider/wp/2016/01/18/good-counsel-lb-keandre-jones-bullis-qb-dwayne-haskins-flip-commitments-from-maryland-to-ohio-state/).

-jk

budwom
01-19-2016, 04:09 PM
How confident are you in this statement? It seems to me a 6'6" 265 defensive end is exactly what we need to seal the edge and rush the passer. With the DT talent currently on the roster, McSwain staying at DE seems logical assuming he has the requisite speed. I know Coach Cutcliffe has a track record of moving players around but DE is a huge position of need.

Bob, I've seen it mentioned on several boards from people who seem to know, but there's no way to verify this. The thinking seems to be he's
too bulky (and not quick enough) at this point for DE, but we'll have to wait and see....probably during Spring practice.

Olympic Fan
01-19-2016, 04:11 PM
Some DC shuffling: a couple all-met guys just decommited from Maryland to Ohio State (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/recruiting-insider/wp/2016/01/18/good-counsel-lb-keandre-jones-bullis-qb-dwayne-haskins-flip-commitments-from-maryland-to-ohio-state/).

-jk

And one of the guys who flipped -- the QB Haskins -- was at Comcast in College Park Saturday, watching Maryland crush Ohio State in basketball. So maybe having the kids in for basketball isn't that good an idea.

budwom
01-19-2016, 04:27 PM

-jk

Ha, they're a whole lot better than All Met! they're the top two guys Merlin had recruited.....Jones is a five star LB (ultra rare commodity), Hawkins a four star QB.
Devastating blow to the Twerps, too bad, enjoy the Big Whatever, turtles!

Bob Green
01-19-2016, 04:41 PM
Bob, I've seen it mentioned on several boards from people who seem to know, but there's no way to verify this. The thinking seems to be he's
too bulky (and not quick enough) at this point for DE, but we'll have to wait and see...probably during Spring practice.

Thanks! Speaking of Spring practice, has any information on dates been announced? I haven't seen anything. Hopefully this year's Spring game will be an actual game open to the public but I'm not optimistic with the stadium construction continuing.

CameronBornAndBred
01-19-2016, 10:24 PM
Thanks! Speaking of Spring practice, has any information on dates been announced? I haven't seen anything. Hopefully this year's Spring game will be an actual game open to the public but I'm not optimistic with the stadium construction continuing.
I wish they'd use Durham County Stadium for it. Great opportunity to introduce Duke football to folks who haven't joined in on the fun yet.
Also, hoping a lack of dates means that maybe it will be a little closer to actual Spring? Last year we started in the first week of February.

budwom
01-20-2016, 08:41 AM
Coaches Cut and Latina was visiting the imposing Prince Sammons...what a coup that would be....seems we may see him as an OL not DE with
Latina involved...getting Sammons would be YOOGE.

Acymetric
01-20-2016, 03:54 PM
Possibly but not necessarily, lead recruiters aren't always the projected position coach for a player and it could just be a case of all hands on deck with as many coaches getting in visits where the can.

duke blue brewcrew
01-21-2016, 10:42 AM
Coaches Cut and Latina was visiting the imposing Prince Sammons...what a coup that would be...seems we may see him as an OL not DE with
Latina involved...getting Sammons would be YOOGE.

Do we know at this point how many spots are left open in the 2016 Duke signing class? If the miraculous happened and Sammons, Peek, and Jones all wanted to commit to Duke, do the Blue Devils have room in the class?

budwom
01-21-2016, 03:53 PM
Do we know at this point how many spots are left open in the 2016 Duke signing class? If the miraculous happened and Sammons, Peek, and Jones all wanted to commit to Duke, do the Blue Devils have room in the class?

unsure, but people seem to think we could accommodate them, though it's pretty unlikely we'd get all three...

duke blue brewcrew
01-21-2016, 04:37 PM
unsure, but people seem to think we could accommodate them, though it's pretty unlikely we'd get all three...

Agreed. Hence why I used the term "miraculous" when referencing all three potential recruits committing to Duke. I would dance a jig if they did though!!!

airowe
01-21-2016, 04:54 PM

There are 85 scholarship players on the roster right now (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_XAU3r5fzjBag4kBQX0wOUu-unHdQoZVSGTJbsJJS0w/edit?usp=sharing) for next year.

budwom
01-21-2016, 04:59 PM
One or two of those might not end up on the roster next year...(great spreadsheet!)...Shabazz being the
most likely due to serious, ongoing injuries.

airowe
01-21-2016, 05:03 PM
One or two of those might not end up on the roster next year...(great spreadsheet!)...Shabazz being the
most likely due to serious, ongoing injuries.

Yep. They are trying to fill his spot with Sammons and/or Jones right now.

Pghdukie
01-21-2016, 06:52 PM
Larry Johnson was Penn St's lead recruiter in DC, Upper Virginia, MD area. Franklin wanted his own people in that area so he fired Johnson. The OSU hired him the next day, I will not be surprised that Ohio St will rule that area. Even out-recruiting the Twerps

Olympic Fan
01-21-2016, 06:54 PM
There are 85 scholarship players on the roster right now (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_XAU3r5fzjBag4kBQX0wOUu-unHdQoZVSGTJbsJJS0w/edit?usp=sharing) for next year.

The spreadsheet linked is wa-a-y out of date.

It includes Barnes, Alls, Holmes, Douglas (all dismissed from the team) and Schroeder, who has been ruled out physically. It does not include Daniel Jones, who was coming as a preferred walk-on, but was put on scholarship.

That said, my count of the real roster, plus the 21 verbal commitments to date, also gives us 85 players. Some adjustment would have to be made if Sammons, Jones or Peek would want to come.

I have heard that Shabazz might be put on the unable to play list (as Schroeder was). Such players can stay on scholarship and not count against the limit. But putting them on the list means that they can never play at Duke. (the rules in place to prevent schools from stashing players on that list for a couple of years).

Not sure of what the deal with Jones is ... sometimes Coach K will put a walk-on on scholarship for a year with the understanding that its a one-year offer (technically, all scholarships are just one-year deals) and that it might be revoked if the roster fills up. But in Jones' case, my understanding was that he was coming with the idea that he would earn a scholarship at some point. Now that he has, would they really pull it? Don't know, but I don't think so.

It may be that the staff expects some attrition in the incoming class. There always seem to be a couple of spots open when the smoke clears after signing day (that's how Jones got a scholarship a year ago).

My point is, the staff knows the 85-man limit. If they are still recruiting these guys -- and they are -- they have to know how they will fit them in.

Bob Green
01-21-2016, 07:28 PM
The spreadsheet linked is wa-a-y out of date.

There are three tabs at the bottom of the page so you need to click on the "2016" tab. The spreadsheet opens up on the "2014" tab.

Olympic Fan
01-21-2016, 07:43 PM
There are three tabs at the bottom of the page so you need to click on the "2016" tab. The spreadsheet opens up on the "2014" tab.

My bad ... the updated 2016 spreadsheet matches what I have.

My comments about possible extra 'ships still stand ...

BigWayne
01-21-2016, 08:07 PM
My bad ... the updated 2016 spreadsheet matches what I have.

My comments about possible extra 'ships still stand ...

Don't know whose spreadsheet it is. No impact on the overall picture, but there are 4 guys I think in the Freshman column that should be moved over to Sophomore. It looks like the spreadsheet is done by putting all the new players as redshirt freshman and then moving the column over year by year. Also, total for class of 2016 should be 16 not 17.

airowe
01-21-2016, 08:25 PM
Don't know whose spreadsheet it is. No impact on the overall picture, but there are 4 guys I think in the Freshman column that should be moved over to Sophomore. It looks like the spreadsheet is done by putting all the new players as redshirt freshman and then moving the column over year by year. Also, total for class of 2016 should be 16 not 17.

The guys who played this year have not been updated as freshmen yet. So you're correct.

duke blue brewcrew
01-22-2016, 08:27 AM
A nice mention about Duke as a pleasant surprise on the recruiting trail for 2016. Scott Bracey gets a nice mention as does Terrell Lucas.

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/VIDEO-Surprise-classes--43032887

budwom
01-22-2016, 08:34 AM
Peek not visiting this weekend as some had hoped...

devildeac
01-22-2016, 08:42 AM
Peek not visiting this weekend as some had hoped...

The 3-6 inches of snow/ice/sleet/rain predicted for the Triangle area today and tomorrow and cancellation of many RDU flights today and Saturday might be playing a role. It (fortunately) ain't what's predicted for the mid-Atlantic region but it'll be dangerous on the roads here.

budwom
01-22-2016, 09:37 AM
The 3-6 inches of snow/ice/sleet/rain predicted for the Triangle area today and tomorrow and cancellation of many RDU flights today and Saturday might be playing a role. It (fortunately) ain't what's predicted for the mid-Atlantic region but it'll be dangerous on the roads here.

you're saying he couldn't travel with some bread and milk???

Yeah, that could be it, as far as I know he's still in Stanford limbo, neither rejected nor accepted, but he'll have to know by next week...

devildeac
01-22-2016, 09:43 AM
you're saying he couldn't travel with some bread and milk???

Yeah, that could be it, as far as I know he's still in Stanford limbo, neither rejected nor accepted, but he'll have to know by next week...

Bread and milk all gone from local shelves during the great grocery store raids of 2016. Might be some Triscuits and cheeses remaining:rolleyes:.

Feb 3 right around the corner as you said...

duke blue brewcrew
01-22-2016, 10:52 AM

So, to be clear...Peek isn't visiting due to weather interrupted travel plans, and not a lack of interest in knowing more about Duke Football, correct?

devildeac
01-22-2016, 11:05 AM
So, to be clear...Peek isn't visiting due to weather interrupted travel plans, and not a lack of interest in knowing more about Duke Football, correct?

I didn't state that but proposed it as a possible explanation of why he's not visiting. He's from Florida and airlines starting canceling flights to/from RDU late yesterday with plans on "re-opening" on Sunday. It's nasty outside now and has been for a few hours and I have even more sympathy now for the folks north and east of here who will experience the brunt of this huge winter storm.

brevity
01-24-2016, 09:12 PM
Adam Rowe's Twitter linked to it: https://mobile.twitter.com/cuddie_bo/statuses/691424530779258885

Bo [PG] Peek @cuddie_bo

I'm happy to announce that I have officially been admitted to Stanford University! Truly an unbelievable feeling. #CardClass16 #NerdNation

4:57 PM - 24 Jan 2016

budwom
01-25-2016, 08:15 AM
I guess we're down to trying to hold the class together and perhaps add longshot LB Jonathan Jones...just keeping what we have would be terrific.

duke blue brewcrew
01-25-2016, 10:48 AM
I guess we're down to trying to hold the class together and perhaps add longshot LB Jonathan Jones...just keeping what we have would be terrific.

I was hoping for at least one more piece of exciting news in the form of a commitment coming down the stretch. Fingers crossed that something good happens, and nothing bad happens.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-25-2016, 12:57 PM
Coach Cutcliffe and Coach Jones flew to Ft. Lauderdale this morning.

budwom
01-25-2016, 01:58 PM
I read somewhere that Jones has eliminated us, but I guess we'll know soon enough...

johnb
01-25-2016, 02:48 PM
Adam Rowe's Twitter linked to it: https://mobile.twitter.com/cuddie_bo/statuses/691424530779258885

Bo [PG] Peek @cuddie_bo

I'm happy to announce that I have officially been admitted to Stanford University! Truly an unbelievable feeling. #CardClass16 #NerdNation

I looked and couldn't find anything saying that Peek had reaffirmed his interest in actually playing at Stanford, just that he got admitted. We may still be in play.

Avvocato
01-25-2016, 03:13 PM
I looked and couldn't find anything saying that Peek had reaffirmed his interest in actually playing at Stanford, just that he got admitted. We may still be in play.

He's listed as a committed recruit per ESPN as of February 2015: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/24/class/2016. I would think that his hashtag of #CardClass16 confirms it, but maybe I'm just assuming.

johnb
01-26-2016, 12:16 AM
He's listed as a committed recruit per ESPN as of February 2015: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/24/class/2016. I would think that his hashtag of #CardClass16 confirms it, but maybe I'm just assuming.

we have a great class currently signed, and I'm optimistic they'll show up, and I root for those who matriculate, but Peek announced for Stanford a looooong time ago, and they finally accepted him. He's had almost a year to think twice about the wisdom of going across the country. He may well end up at Stanford, but his tweet did NOT indicate he was going to go there, just that he'd finally been accepted. I think his comment was ambiguous when he could have been clear.

If Cut and Co are in the region, and Peek's willing to talk to them, the recruitment game isn't over.

Avvocato
01-26-2016, 12:38 AM
we have a great class currently signed, and I'm optimistic they'll show up, and I root for those who matriculate, but Peek announced for Stanford a looooong time ago, and they finally accepted him. He's had almost a year to think twice about the wisdom of going across the country. He may well end up at Stanford, but his tweet did NOT indicate he was going to go there, just that he'd finally been accepted. I think his comment was ambiguous when he could have been clear.

If Cut and Co are in the region, and Peek's willing to talk to them, the recruitment game isn't over.

I'm happy to be wrong, particularly about a 290 lb defensive tackle. I'm just reading the situation differently. College football recruiting is a crazy thing anyway. Nothing is really solid until people sign (which works both ways). Ecstatic about the class we have assembled. I'm content holding our class together, and at this point, if Prince Sammons or Peek want to join, happy to have them. I just don't think either is coming (most columns I've read recently are currently predicting Sammons to Michigan St.).

OZZIE4DUKE
01-26-2016, 07:40 AM
Coach Cutcliffe and Coach Jones flew to Ft. Lauderdale this morning.
Strange, they didn't call me to say hi. :rolleyes:

budwom
01-26-2016, 08:11 AM

He has been clear and adamant that he wants to go to Stanford...admissions was the only potential barrier. We are not involved at this point.

duke blue brewcrew
01-26-2016, 08:58 AM
Bo [PG] Peek @cuddie_bo

I love your optimism, but I couldn't disagree more with you. His tweet says it all IMO. He tweets that he's finally been accepted with an exclamation point. Then states what an unbelievable feeling it is, and hash tags it with CardClass16 and NerdNation. What part of that is ambiguous? He seems like a kid relieved that the process is finally over and that he's going to his first choice of schools. While your statement is true that he indicates he got accepted, the hash tags show the commitment to the school, and the '16 recruiting class of Stanford. I certainly hope you're right and I'm wrong, but I'm not putting any of my eggs in the Peek basket at his point. Also, with the exception of two players already enrolled, the Duke class is verbally committed, but not yet signed. National Signing Day is Feb. 3 I believe. I think Sammons has moved on. If Jones were going to commit, I felt like he would have done so this past weekend. I'm hopeful that Duke can hold onto it's verbals and convert them into signatures. Should it stay in tact, it's an amazing class as it stands. I'm hopeful that Duke scores one last nice surprise, but I'm incredibly happy with what Coach Cut & Co. have put together this year.

OldPhiKap
01-26-2016, 09:00 AM
I would be thrilled if we just keep this class together, and know of no leaks at this point. If that comes to pass, I will be more than content.

budwom
01-26-2016, 09:05 AM
I love your optimism, but I couldn't disagree more with you. His tweet says it all IMO. He tweets that he's finally been accepted with an exclamation point. Then states what an unbelievable feeling it is, and hash tags it with CardClass16 and NerdNation. What part of that is ambiguous? He seems like a kid relieved that the process is finally over and that he's going to his first choice of schools. While your statement is true that he indicates he got accepted, the hash tags show the commitment to the school, and the '16 recruiting class of Stanford. I certainly hope you're right and I'm wrong, but I'm not putting any of my eggs in the Peek basket at his point. Also, with the exception of two players already enrolled, the Duke class is verbally committed, but not yet signed. National Signing Day is Feb. 3 I believe. I think Sammons has moved on. If Jones were going to commit, I felt like he would have done so this past weekend. I'm hopeful that Duke can hold onto it's verbals and convert them into signatures. Should it stay in tact, it's an amazing class as it stands. I'm hopeful that Duke scores one last nice surprise, but I'm incredibly happy with what Coach Cut & Co. have put together this year.

there are a bunch of videos out there in which Peek makes it 100% clear than Stanford is his choice...I agree brewcrew, this ship has sailed.
p.s. his only wavering came when it appeared he MAY not get admitted to Stanford, but he finally cleared that hurdle...

devildeac
01-26-2016, 09:21 AM
Strange, they didn't call me to say hi. :rolleyes:

1. Your name's not Roper.
2. All the staff positions have been filled.

:p

Avvocato
01-26-2016, 10:40 AM
While the countdown continues, a nice little article/interview with Duke RB commit, Elijah Deveaux, from scout.com.

http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1607136-duke-commit-elijah-deveaux-has-it-all

Olympic Fan
01-26-2016, 04:23 PM
Worth pointing out that our big recruiting weekend was wiped out by the weather. That appears to have cost us any chance for Jonathan Jones, who recently announced a final two that didn't include Duke. Not saying we would have gotten him -- it was still a longshot -- but magical things happen when we get kids on campus ... not getting Jones here killed any chance we have.

Agree that Peek is clearly going to sign with Stanford.

Don't know about Sammons. His visit was several weeks ago, although Cut and John Latina did have a recent in-home visit. Most of the recruiting gurus think he's going to Michigan State.

If we don't get Sammons (and with Jones and Peek gone), I'm not sure if Cut has any more targets out there. I'd love to see a wide receiver.

Talked to a pro football guy over the weekend and he asked me about Duke's recruiting -- specifically about wide receivers. He seemed to think that Duke's biggest problem of offense last year was the lack of receivers who could get separation. He was disappointed that this class only has one prospective WR, although four-star Scott Bracey is potentially a very good one.

Again, nothing firm, but it's looking better and better than we hold onto this class.

Signing day is a week from tomorrow!

duke blue brewcrew
01-26-2016, 05:29 PM
Worth pointing out that our big recruiting weekend was wiped out by the weather. That appears to have cost us any chance for Jonathan Jones, who recently announced a final two that didn't include Duke. Not saying we would have gotten him -- it was still a longshot -- but magical things happen when we get kids on campus ... not getting Jones here killed any chance we have.

Agree that Peek is clearly going to sign with Stanford.

Don't know about Sammons. His visit was several weeks ago, although Cut and John Latina did have a recent in-home visit. Most of the recruiting gurus think he's going to Michigan State.

If we don't get Sammons (and with Jones and Peek gone), I'm not sure if Cut has any more targets out there. I'd love to see a wide receiver.

Talked to a pro football guy over the weekend and he asked me about Duke's recruiting -- specifically about wide receivers. He seemed to think that Duke's biggest problem of offense last year was the lack of receivers who could get separation. He was disappointed that this class only has one prospective WR, although four-star Scott Bracey is potentially a very good one.

Again, nothing firm, but it's looking better and better than we hold onto this class.

Signing day is a week from tomorrow!

Just to confirm, the weather did prevent Jones from attending his Official Visit? I was under the impression that he made it, although I'm not sure I ever read anything that actually confirmed that. I don't disagree with your pro-football contact's theory. I hope Bracey has that kind of speed, but Duke needs more than one. I would love to see a speedy WR with size will jump on board as a late surprise, but I'm not hopeful at this point. Next year I would like to see a focus on DEs, DTs, WRs, and at least one QB and RB.

Olympic Fan
01-27-2016, 01:10 PM
One week from signing day and apparently, Duke just had its first decommit -- kind of.

Scout is reporting that Ben Wyatt has decommitted.

Now, Wyatt is not one of Duke's 21 scholarship commits. He was coming as a preferred walk-on. Wyatt is an accomplished long snapper from Concord, NC.

At the time he committed a couple of months ago, it was reported that he turned down an scholarship offer from several schools -- including UNC -- to walk-on at Duke.

Cut wanted to bring Wyatt in to spend a season learning behind Thomas Hennessy, who will be a senior next year.

So, if this is true, not a huge blow -- Cut will have a year to go before he must replace Hennessy -- but disappointing nevertheless.

I doubt this impacts Duke's class ranking.

duke blue brewcrew
01-27-2016, 01:33 PM
One week from signing day and apparently, Duke just had its first decommit -- kind of.

Now, Wyatt is not one of Duke's 21 scholarship commits. He was coming as a preferred walk-on. Wyatt is an accomplished long snapper from Concord, NC.

At the time he committed a couple of months ago, it was reported that he turned down an scholarship offer from several schools -- including UNC -- to walk-on at Duke.

Cut wanted to bring Wyatt in to spend a season learning behind Thomas Hennessy, who will be a senior next year.

So, if this is true, not a huge blow -- Cut will have a year to go before he must replace Hennessy -- but disappointing nevertheless.

Any indication as to where Wyatt might be heading?

hallcity
01-27-2016, 02:32 PM

Other sources say that the report about Wyatt decommitting is erroneous, that he's definitely coming to Duke.

budwom
01-27-2016, 04:20 PM
bogus report due to computer misfire, nothing at all to this....isn't the digital age great?

Olympic Fan
01-27-2016, 04:27 PM
bogus report due to computer misfire, nothing at all to this...isn't the digital age great?

Great news ... sorry to pass on the unconfirmed report ...

BigWayne
01-27-2016, 05:58 PM
Other sources say that the report about Wyatt decommitting is erroneous, that he's definitely coming to Duke.

He wants to be a biomedical engineer. He got one scholarship offer apparently, from cheatville, where the BME major involves a lot of riding the bus over to Raleigh.
Also, his father, a Duke Law alumnus, is a major lawyer in Charlotte so the cost of Duke is not a showstopper.

duke blue brewcrew
01-28-2016, 08:43 AM
Great news ... sorry to pass on the unconfirmed report ...

No worries, I'm happy to hear that the class is still intact at this point...LGD!

Olympic Fan
01-29-2016, 03:30 PM
Just learned today that spring practice will be a bit later than the past few years -- Cut is looking at a start time in the first week of March (instead of the first week of February).

Also understand that he just got back from a recruiting trip to Miami's South Beach. Who he was targeting, I have no idea.

CameronBornAndBred
01-29-2016, 03:58 PM
Just learned today that spring practice will be a bit later than the past few years -- Cut is looking at a start time in the first week of March (instead of the first week of February).

Also understand that he just got back from a recruiting trip to Miami's South Beach. Who he was targeting, I have no idea.
Excellent news about Spring practice.

Bob Green
01-29-2016, 06:08 PM

Thank you for the good news (from the fans perspective)! Hopefully the Spring Game will be open to the public this year. We need a practice tailgate. ;);)

Avvocato
01-30-2016, 02:08 PM
Interesting that there is news lately (maybe others were aware - not like I'm supposed to be in the know on this) that Auburn has been recruiting Prince Sammons hard lately the past few weeks as an offensive lineman. Sammons is there this weekend. I found that interesting, since most recent news has been projecting Sammons to go to Michigan St. and it didn't sound like Auburn was even in the mix. One link is below. I've seen it in a few places just scanning the web.

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-set-to-host-final-official-visitors-including-a-five-star-linebacker

nyesq83
01-30-2016, 02:30 PM

I wonder if possible late-season fatigue this past Fall has anything to do with this (my opinion only)?

AustinDevil
01-31-2016, 09:28 AM
I wonder if possible late-season fatigue this past Fall has anything to do with this (my opinion only)?

It's a good guess. Plus recovery time from nagging injuries.

budwom
01-31-2016, 09:37 AM
yeah, Sirk certainly tweaked his knee or something at the end of the Indiana game...I'm sure they want him up to speed completely.

As for any visits to Florida, I have no real info, but have to wonder if the coaching change down in Coral Gables might have
led to some changes in Miami's recruiting class, many of whom come from South FL, of course...

lucybluebear
01-31-2016, 05:32 PM
I have been going to the signing day gala the last several years and have been meaning to scan the sheets they give out regarding the new recruits. Of course I have forgotten to do so. I would love to see some of those old profiles. Does anyone have them save somewhere?

BigWayne
01-31-2016, 05:58 PM
yeah, Sirk certainly tweaked his knee or something at the end of the Indiana game...I'm sure they want him up to speed completely.

As for any visits to Florida, I have no real info, but have to wonder if the coaching change down in Coral Gables might have
led to some changes in Miami's recruiting class, many of whom come from South FL, of course...

It's also possible they are working on next year.

budwom
02-01-2016, 08:17 AM
It's also possible they are working on next year.

very true, though I have to think this week's efforts will largely be concentrated on holding this current class together, and possibly augmenting it.

Olympic Fan
02-01-2016, 05:58 PM
Well, Prince Sammons got out of Auburn (he visited last weekend) without a commitment.

I guess that's good news.

He will announce his choice Wednesday ... most of the experts are predicting Michigan State ... it's been a long time since a non-Duke writer mentioned Duke (even though Cut had a recent in-home).

The good news is that less than two days out, it's still looking good that Duke holds onto its 21 announced commitments. That would be a major victory, even without Sammons.

johnb
02-02-2016, 07:53 AM
The good news is that less than two days out, it's still looking good that Duke holds onto its 21 announced commitments. That would be a major victory, even without Sammons.

Football recruiting is more difficult to follow than basketball. The players don't generally compete against comparable talent, there are so many more recruits, and it seems like a lot more 3 stars go on to have very productive div 1 careers than in basketball. Having said that, the fact that the class hasn't melted away is a great sign of the strength of the program. It would still be fairly typical to lose a guy or two this week, but it seems equally likely that we'll get a positive surprise. Regardless, this recruiting class should be part of the continued wave to get us more comfortably into the top 20 echelon.

budwom
02-02-2016, 08:29 AM
It's true that assessing football talent can be tougher than in hoops, where top kids compete all the time in national events.

However, it's been true for a long time that a better indicator of future performance is not so much in the stars assigned by various recruiting sites, but
rather in the offer sheets kids have....and in this class, we have a slew of players with offers from Clemson, Notre Dame and the like.
This is an absolutely stellar class if we can hold it together...

(you can go to some of the sites like Rivals, find the list of recruits on the front page, click on the names, and "show all" and
you can see who had offers from whom. Really impressive group this year)

duke blue brewcrew
02-02-2016, 09:01 AM
Football recruiting is more difficult to follow than basketball. The players don't generally compete against comparable talent, there are so many more recruits, and it seems like a lot more 3 stars go on to have very productive div 1 careers than in basketball. Having said that, the fact that the class hasn't melted away is a great sign of the strength of the program. It would still be fairly typical to lose a guy or two this week, but it seems equally likely that we'll get a positive surprise. Regardless, this recruiting class should be part of the continued wave to get us more comfortably into the top 20 echelon.

I don't want to be a jinx for discussing things that haven't happened yet. For the sake of optimism and discussing a fun topic. Should Duke get a positive surprise tomorrow in the form of a recruit that has not yet verbally committed to the Blue Devils, at what position do you think it would occur?

budwom
02-02-2016, 09:17 AM
^ if we knew what position the surprise was at, it wouldn't be that much of a surprise! Like others, I'll gladly settle for keeping what we have...

duke blue brewcrew
02-02-2016, 09:42 AM
^ if we knew what position the surprise was at, it wouldn't be that much of a surprise! Like others, I'll gladly settle for keeping what we have...

The Price Is Right music for when a player loses the game was playing in my head as I read your response. Obviously, we as Duke fans would all be content to keep the players already verbally committed to the program. It's natural to hope for a pleasant surprise. Who wouldn't want to see Sammons commit to Duke tomorrow?! Or a stud WR, DT, or DE? It would ad to the fun of the day for sure.

oldnavy
02-02-2016, 11:05 AM
I don't really get into the football recruiting hoopla, heck I don't really follow the BB recruiting closely.

However, it seems to me that there are many fewer true freshmen that impact college FB when compared to BB.

That is one of the reasons I don't get excited about it much. It will be at least 2 years or more before we really see the impact of these kids on the field.

Having said all this, I still follow the Duke FB recruiting on a Macro level and I am excited to read about our improving stock of recruits!

When do season tickets go on sale???

Go Duke!!

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-02-2016, 11:24 AM
I don't really get into the football recruiting hoopla, heck I don't really follow the BB recruiting closely.

However, it seems to me that there are many fewer true freshmen that impact college FB when compared to BB.

That is one of the reasons I don't get excited about it much. It will be at least 2 years or more before we really see the impact of these kids on the field.

Having said all this, I still follow the Duke FB recruiting on a Macro level and I am excited to read about our improving stock of recruits!

Go Duke!!
Season tickets go on sale on signing day, tomorrow.

wilson
02-02-2016, 11:31 AM
The Price Is Right music for when a player loses the game was playing in my head as I read your response. Obviously, we as Duke fans would all be content to keep the players already verbally committed to the program. It's natural to hope for a pleasant surprise. Who wouldn't want to see Sammons commit to Duke tomorrow?! Or a stud WR, DT, or DE? It would ad to the fun of the day for sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

jimsumner
02-02-2016, 12:05 PM

Go Duke!!

Cut usually plays around five true freshmen.

So, gratification is usually delayed.

But the guys who are going to be making an impact next season for Duke are the ones Duke signed in 2015 or 2014 or you-get-my-point.

Cut has had great success with under-the-radar guys like Ross Cockrell or Jamison Crowder. And his talent evaluation skills are pretty good. But if he's going to take Duke football to the next level, then he has to win recruiting battles with the big boys for top-tier recruits and he's done this with this class at a higher level than previously.

And he'll have to turn around and do it again next season and the season after it.

But look at the contributions Duke had this season from true freshmen T.J. Rahming and Ben Humphreys, two guys who played in the prestigious Army All-America Bowl following their senior seasons. Those are the kind of players Duke is bringing in now and it's a big jump from Franks and Roof beating out James Madison and Boston University for recruits.

So, this is something to get excited about.

oldnavy
02-02-2016, 12:33 PM

But the guys who are going to be making an impact next season for Duke are the ones Duke signed in 2015 or 2014 or you-get-my-point.

Cut has had great success with under-the-radar guys like Ross Cockrell or Jamison Crowder. And his talent evaluation skills are pretty good. But if he's going to take Duke football to the next level, then he has to win recruiting battles with the big boys for top-tier recruits and he's done this with this class at a higher level than previously.

And he'll have to turn around and do it again next season and the season after it.

But look at the contributions Duke had this season from true freshmen T.J. Rahming and Ben Humphreys, two guys who played in the prestigious Army All-America Bowl following their senior seasons. Those are the kind of players Duke is bringing in now and it's a big jump from Franks and Roof beating out James Madison and Boston University for recruits.

Oh, I am excited about Duke FB... no doubt! I just don't focus so much on the recruiting for all the reasons above and the fact that my mind can only wrap itself around a finite number of things... College football recruiting is a complex animal....

budwom
02-02-2016, 02:46 PM

Because this next class is SO much better than Cut's previous classes, I would not be surprised to see more than the usual number of frosh contributing. Just off the top of
my head, I could see the two running backs, (Brown and Deveaux) plus Bracey and several of the defensive backs (Gilbert, entering school early, and Singleton) plus one or
more linebackers...the LB class is something special...

oldnavy
02-02-2016, 02:51 PM
Because this next class is SO much better than Cut's previous classes, I would not be surprised to see more than the usual number of frosh contributing. Just off the top of
my head, I could see the two running backs, (Brown and Deveaux) plus Bracey and several of the defensive backs (Gilbert, entering school early, and Singleton) plus one or
more linebackers...the LB class is something special...

Sweet!!

I love a good hard hitting defense!!

budwom
02-02-2016, 03:04 PM
Sweet!!

I love a good hard hitting defense!!

among our linebacker recruits:
Hill, offers from Notre Dame, Clemson, Georgia, Tennessee (and others)
Quonsah, offers from Notre Dame, Michigan, Iowa, unc, NW etc
Morganstern, offers from CLemson, Mississippi State, Wisconsin etc
Gagnon (could end up as DE which we sorely need): unc, WVA, NW, Va...

Mike Corey
02-02-2016, 05:10 PM
The amount of talent coming in this fall is rather remarkable.

Cut and Co. have been very good at developing the talent it has brought in thus far, and that talent hasn't been shabby, quite obviously. It's been enough talent to make it to four consecutive bowl games, beat some very good teams, compete with some elite ones, produce some All-Americans and even some NFL talent with staying power. Hell yes, Duke plays football.

I know next to nothing about football relative to basketball, but the clear difference is the number of recruits you have to bring in at a certain level, year after year, to be competitive at a certain level--and to move up to another level, and so on and so forth.

This class represents Duke's ambition to move up another rung on the ladder.

~

In somewhat related news, if you are an active Twitter reader, I would strongly encourage you to follow Duke football coach Derek Jones (@DukeCoachDJ (https://twitter.com/dukecoachdj)). I have never met him, but his tweets make me wish I was still writing so I'd have an excuse to interview him. (They also make me wish I were 17 again and capable of playing major DI football so I could play for him, but I digress.)

Bob Green
02-03-2016, 04:55 AM
National Signing Day has arrived. It is time for those NLIs to be signed, sealed and delivered. We are waiting on 19 as two guys are already in school.

OldPhiKap
02-03-2016, 06:44 AM
#DukeGang

Native
02-03-2016, 08:33 AM
National Signing Day has arrived. It is time for those NLIs to be signed, sealed and delivered. We are waiting on 19 as two guys are already in school.

Per Laura Keeley, all 19 are in! (https://twitter.com/laurakeeley/status/694875091163713536)

duke blue brewcrew
02-03-2016, 08:48 AM
Per Laura Keeley, all 19 are in! (https://twitter.com/laurakeeley/status/694875091163713536)

No surprises good or bad, and everyone is on the truck. Coach Cut & Co have landed a STUD class of historical nature to the Duke Football program. As a fan, I'm incredibly excited for the future. I hope this class contributes to even more recruiting mojo in the years to come. LET'S GO DUKE! #DukeGang

OldPhiKap
02-03-2016, 09:26 AM

WOOT WOOT!!!!! #DukeGang just stepped it up a notch.

Love what we're doing these days! Great job by Cut and the whole staff.

RepoMan
02-03-2016, 09:53 AM
This is simply fabulous. What Cut and his team have been doing is amazing. They started at the absolute bottom. Could not be worse. Then, bit by bit, block by block, he changed everything. First, culture and fitness. Second, find better talent value in the weeds. Third, outperforming the base talent level. Fourth, improve the infrastructure and facilities. Fifth, winning. Sixth, sustained winning. And, now here we are -- recruiting at a top 25 level. Just think what Cut and his team can do if they can sustain that? Why wouldn't we expect to be even better.

But, honestly, at this point, why stop there? There are only a handful of schools that can offer what Duke offers. Sure, there aren't as many players who will want that, but there are plenty smart, athletic, physically gifted top-rated high school football players, and we should be a top choice for all of them.

Congrats to the whole program! #DukeGang

OldPhiKap
02-03-2016, 09:54 AM
This is simply fabulous. What Cut and his team have been doing is amazing. They started at the absolute bottom. Could not be worse. Then, bit by bit, block by block, he changed everything. First, culture and fitness. Second, find better talent value in the weeds. Third, outperforming the base talent level. Fourth, improve the infrastructure and facilities. Fifth, winning. Sixth, sustained winning. And, now here we are -- recruiting at a top 25 level. Just think what Cut and his team can do if they can sustain that? Why wouldn't we expect to be even better.

But, honestly, at this point, why stop there? There are only a handful of schools that can offer what Duke offers. Sure, there aren't as many players who will want that, but there are plenty smart, athletic, physically gifted top-rated high school football players, and we should be a top choice for all of them.

Congrats to the whole program! #DukeGang

"We are coming to Duke to compete for championships." -- Coach Cut, introductory press conference (loosely quoted)

killerleft
02-03-2016, 10:09 AM
I was so dreading today. What super news that all the guys stayed with Coach Cut! We've been burned before on signing day. Yip!

Go Duke!

arnie
02-03-2016, 10:37 AM
No surprises good or bad, and everyone is on the truck. Coach Cut & Co have landed a STUD class of historical nature to the Duke Football program. As a fan, I'm incredibly excited for the future. I hope this class contributes to even more recruiting mojo in the years to come. LET'S GO DUKE! #DukeGang

I'm greedy - any other possible signings out there?

duke blue brewcrew
02-03-2016, 10:47 AM
I'm greedy - any other possible signings out there?

Sammons committed to Auburn; Jones to the Irish; Peek is going with Stanford; Nixon went to Ole Miss...I'm not sure who I'm missing, but I don't foresee any surprise signings.

budwom
02-03-2016, 10:51 AM
love me some DBR all the way, but man, the front page article on football recruiting is chock full of misinformation....don't even know where to start...

I pretty much seized up by the time I got to the part about Morgenstern, Hill and Quonsah being offensive linemen who need to beef up....
Morgenstern is a safety/LB type player, the latter two are absolutely stellar linebackers with pretty decent size right now...

for those who really want to follow this class, I suggest checking out Cut's news conference later today, now that he can finally comment on the class.

Avvocato
02-03-2016, 10:54 AM
FYI - For those interested, according to ESPN.com, Prince Sammons signed with Auburn (listed as an OT). I could care less as I am so excited for the class Cut has put together and what the future holds for this team. Great job by the staff.

wilson
02-03-2016, 11:22 AM
Sammons committed to Auburn; Jones to the Irish; Peek is going with Stanford; Nixon went to Ole Miss...I'm not sure who I'm missing, but I don't foresee any surprise signings.There's certainly no shame in losing out to those football programs. Remember the days when guys were choosing the likes of Furman and Richmond over us?
Heady times indeed for the gridiron Devils.

Olympic Fan
02-03-2016, 11:32 AM
As I noted in the OP, the key is holding our commitments together -- and the staff did, reeling in all 21 commits.

Great job ... and a great win for Duke football. Another stud or two (Prince Sammons, maybe) would have been nice, but keeping the 21 commits is the big thing.

This class is on a different plateau from any Duke class -- ever. Now, if Cut and his guys can repeat it, the program will move up a plateau ... then we can start thinking about making the job to the bery top level.

Added bonus to signing day. I was just checking out ESPNU and they had a live announcement from the nation's No. 2 wide receiver. He was down to Auburn and UNC Cheat.

You can imagine how I cheered when he pulled out a little Tiger statuette.

duke blue brewcrew
02-03-2016, 11:44 AM
Great interview with Breon Borders about the upcoming '16 season and the team's mindset moving forward.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/90668/breon-borders-duke-defense-needs-to-change-the-mentality

Some of the takeaways I had from this article:

Our mentality is that we’ve got to win the game on defense, and we lost a few games on defense. So we’ve got to pick it up. And we will.

Coach Cut wants us to get stronger. We want to get stronger. We lost a lot of games last year, I think, off just getting bullied. We got bullied by UNC and a few others. We’ve got to get stronger. It’s that simple. But one thing I’ve talked about is we’ve just got to change the mentality of the team. We’ve got to be hungry every day, ready to come in the weight room and be ready to work and ready to compete every single day. We’ve got to bring that mentality every day. That’s something we’re trying to instill to all the young players.

the bowl win was a huge accomplishment. You can’t take anything from that. Indiana was a good team, we played good and they played good. We won. It was nice. But we’ve got our eyes on an ACC championship. That’s just another check off our goals, but we’re trying to win every practice, every game, the Coastal, an ACC championship.

53n206
02-03-2016, 11:45 AM
Looking at the last 10 years or so it seems that Stanford has been particularly successful in football. We are getting there, and we're getting there faster then I would've thought possible even two years ago.

sagegrouse
02-03-2016, 12:03 PM
Looking at the last 10 years or so it seems that Stanford has been particularly successful in football. We are getting there, and we're getting there faster then I would've thought possible even two years ago.

It seems like Stanford has been good at football for a decade or more. It isn't true. Here's the list of results for the past ten seasons:

Year W L T Pct AP Post Coach Bowl
2015 12 2 0 0.857 3 David Shaw (12-2) Rose Bowl-W
2014 8 5 0 0.615 David Shaw (8-5) Foster Farms Bowl-W
2013 11 3 0 0.786 11 David Shaw (11-3) Rose Bowl-L
2012 12 2 0 0.857 7 David Shaw (12-2) Rose Bowl-W
2011 11 2 0 0.846 7 David Shaw (11-2) Fiesta Bowl-L
2010 12 1 0 0.923 4 Jim Harbaugh (12-1) Orange Bowl-W
2009 8 5 0 0.615 Jim Harbaugh (8-5) Sun Bowl-L
2008 5 7 0 0.417 Jim Harbaugh (5-7)
2007 4 8 0 0.333 Jim Harbaugh (4-8)
2006 1 11 0 0.083 Walt Harris (1-11)

FWIW, here's the comparable Duke record:

Year W L T Pct AP Post Coach(es) Bowl
2015 8 5 0 0.615 David Cutcliffe (8-5) Pinstripe Bowl-W
2014 9 4 0 0.692 David Cutcliffe (9-4) Sun Bowl-L
2013 10 4 0 0.714 23 David Cutcliffe (10-4) Chick-fil-A Bowl-L
2012 6 7 0 0.462 David Cutcliffe (6-7) Belk Bowl-L
2011 3 9 0 0.250 David Cutcliffe (3-9)
2010 3 9 0 0.250 David Cutcliffe (3-9)
2009 5 7 0 0.417 David Cutcliffe (5-7)
2008 4 8 0 0.333 David Cutcliffe (4-8)
2007 1 11 0 0.083 Ted Roof (1-11)
2006 0 12 0 0.000 Ted Roof (0-12)

Stanford has been really, really good for the last six years. Before Harbaugh turned the program around, the results were very poor.

Duke has been good for the last three years. Let's keep it rolling.

Kindly,
Sage Grouse

nmduke2001
02-03-2016, 12:33 PM
Sammons committed to Auburn; Jones to the Irish; Peek is going with Stanford; Nixon went to Ole Miss...I'm not sure who I'm missing, but I don't foresee any surprise signings.

Supposedly, Sammons really wanted to play on the offensive line and Auburn heard that and said that was where he would play. Most schools were recruiting him as a d-end.

duke blue brewcrew
02-03-2016, 12:47 PM
Supposedly, Sammons really wanted to play on the offensive line and Auburn heard that and said that was where he would play. Most schools were recruiting him as a d-end.

That's interesting. I thought that's where Duke was recruiting him as well, am I wrong on that?

revmel53
02-03-2016, 01:15 PM
I've been a bit out of the loop, but does it look like we have held onto the commits we were hoping for?

OldPhiKap
02-03-2016, 01:17 PM
I've been a bit out of the loop, but does it look like we have held onto the commits we were hoping for?

Yup. all in.

martydoesntfoul
02-03-2016, 01:31 PM
How concerning is the lack of a QB? Do the coaches think Daniel Jones has a chance to be special?

budwom
02-03-2016, 02:04 PM
That's interesting. I thought that's where Duke was recruiting him as well, am I wrong on that?

not wrong, Duke him as either, but probably best at OL in the long run.

Yeah, we thought we had our very good QB, but he defected on us, leaving us in the lurch....really could use a very good one in the next class...

duke blue brewcrew
02-03-2016, 02:55 PM
How concerning is the lack of a QB? Do the coaches think Daniel Jones has a chance to be special?

There have been rave reviews coming from those supposedly in the know about Duke Football, that Jones is impressing. I do believe that Duke needs to get a high quality QB recruit in the next class, but the fact that the Blue Devils landed two in their last class should help until that happens.

budwom
02-03-2016, 03:22 PM
Jones was a VERY late bloomer who had virtually no offers....I know he had a good senior season, but I'm tempering my optimism on him...

duke blue brewcrew
02-03-2016, 04:37 PM
Chris Bunn did a nice job with this article about the latest class to come to Durham this Fall to play football for Duke. The most eye-popping take away that I got from the article is this little nugget -

Of the Top 25 signees since 2005, ten of them are in this class. No other class has more than three.
https://twitter.com/ChrisBunn21/status/694964462923726848?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw (link is a graph that illustrates the quote)

Here's the full article: http://duke.247sports.com/Article/Duke-Signs-Best-Class-of-the-Cutcliffe-Era-43441774

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-03-2016, 06:07 PM
Duke with 28th best overall and 4th best class in the ACC according to ESPN. FSU, Clemson and Miami ahead. Pretty amazing.

wilson
02-03-2016, 06:21 PM
Duke with 28th best overall and 4th best class in the ACC according to ESPN. FSU, Clemson and Miami ahead. Pretty amazing.Does anyone know how this compares to our previous annual rankings under Cutcliffe? I know these rankings don't mean a whole lot, but consensus seems to be that this is one of if not the best class in the Cutcliffe era, and I'd be interested in comparing it to previous years.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-03-2016, 06:31 PM
Does anyone know how this compares to our previous annual rankings under Cutcliffe? I know these rankings don't mean a whole lot, but consensus seems to be that this is one of if not the best class in the Cutcliffe era, and I'd be interested in comparing it to previous years.
Not sure about overall class rankings but I went back to 2006 on ESPN rankings site and we had 0 top 300 recruits from 2006 to 2013. We had 1 in 2014 and 1 in 2015. We have 4 top 300 in 2016 class. That's pretty telling. (Cheats got just 1 this year vs 4 last year and 5 in 2013.)

arnie
02-03-2016, 07:10 PM
Not sure about overall class rankings but I went back to 2006 on ESPN rankings site and we had 0 top 300 recruits from 2006 to 2013. We had 1 in 2014 and 1 in 2015. We have 4 top 300 in 2016 class. That's pretty telling. (Cheats got just 1 this year vs 4 last year and 5 in 2013.)

Yet, the local ABC affiliate in Durham showed their recruiting rankings that had the cheats ranked 23rd nationally and Duke 33rd. Proud UNCheat fans at that station.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-03-2016, 07:48 PM
Yet, the local ABC affiliate in Durham showed their recruiting rankings that had the cheats ranked 23rd nationally and Duke 33rd. Proud UNCheat fans at that station.
Yes they're a bunch of pandering a-holes around here.

duke blue brewcrew
02-03-2016, 08:02 PM
Does anyone know how this compares to our previous annual rankings under Cutcliffe? I know these rankings don't mean a whole lot, but consensus seems to be that this is one of if not the best class in the Cutcliffe era, and I'd be interested in comparing it to previous years.

I posted this a little further up the page but don't mind sharing it again. It's a great illustration of just how good this class is: https://twitter.com/ChrisBunn21/status/694964462923726848?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

CameronBornAndBred
02-03-2016, 10:47 PM
Duke with 28th best overall and 4th best class in the ACC according to ESPN. FSU, Clemson and Miami ahead. Pretty amazing.
Which means that we are #2 in the Coastal. That rocks.

Olympic Fan
02-03-2016, 10:53 PM

There are a lot of rankings ... I think the TV station you say elected to go with Rivals ... ESPN does have Duke ahead of the cheats.

Acymetric
02-03-2016, 11:02 PM
There are a lot of rankings ... I think the TV station you say elected to go with Rivals ... ESPN does have Duke ahead of the cheats.

As do Scout and 247 I believe.

devildeac
02-04-2016, 08:36 AM
This is such good news. Go DukeGang. Will be looking at season ticket package this weekend and trying to co-ordinate with other folks who we usually sit with in section 19.

dukebluesincebirth
02-04-2016, 09:16 AM
I just watched some highlight videos of Bracey in high school, and of course I have no idea how skilled his competition was, but dude can throw the ball! Any chance we use him at QB instead of wide receiver? He threw some deep balls very nicely, and the dual threat to run the ball with his speed could pose some major problems for defenses. At either position, this kid is gonna be a helluva player!

duke blue brewcrew
02-04-2016, 10:44 AM
I just watched some highlight videos of Bracey in high school, and of course I have no idea how skilled his competition was, but dude can throw the ball! Any chance we use him at QB instead of wide receiver? He threw some deep balls very nicely, and the dual threat to run the ball with his speed could pose some major problems for defenses. At either position, this kid is gonna be a helluva player!

There's a summary in the Al Featherston article on the front page of DBR on all the players that has some Coach Cut POV comments. Cut called Bracey the key commit in the class. He was the first one to do so and did it early, never waivered, helped recruit, and got the class off to a great start. Here's the full quote:

Bracey is key because he’s a playmaker – or is expected to be. The 6-2, 200-pound receiver actually played mostly quarterback for Benedictine High School in Richmond, Va.

Even though he led Benedictine to two straight state titles at quarterback, his future is at wide receiver. Cutcliffe got to see his talent there in camp and again on the Friday after Duke’s Thursday night opening win over Tulane.

"He played receiver and he played quarterback. He throws the ball pretty well. Some of the quarterbacking, you’d liken to being in the Wildcat – he runs the ball pretty well. But he’s a natural receiver. We’ve had him in camp. He catches it easy When it comes to route-running, he’s just as natural as anyone I’ve seen – sticking his foot in the ground, changing directions and catching the ball away from his body."

But while Bracey will contend for playing time at wide receiver from his first day in preseason camp, that won’t be the limit of his potential contribution.

"I told him, ‘Scott you’re going to take some snaps [at quarterback].’ That’s a pretty good threat."

chrishoke
02-04-2016, 12:26 PM
I renewed my 4 season tickets today. Interesting that they are re-seating the entire stadium.

mbird30
02-04-2016, 08:35 PM
There's a summary in the Al Featherston article on the front page of DBR on all the players that has some Coach Cut POV comments. Cut called Bracey the key commit in the class. He was the first one to do so and did it early, never waivered, helped recruit, and got the class off to a great start. Here's the full quote:

Bracey would be scary in the Connette package

Jim3k
02-04-2016, 09:00 PM
I'm thinking we might be a little short in the kicking game. We have only one signee, AJ Reed, listed as a K. We also have four roster players listed either as a K or a P. Austin Parker, redshirt freshman, seems to be the only scholarship punter. The other two are walkons: Will Kline, a junior, listed as a K/P and Collin Wareham, a junior K.

We may be a little spoiled after Ross Martin and Will Monday, but I'm not sure what we actually have at this point. One of Cutcliffe's requirements, as he came aboard, was to establish a good kicking game. He has done that up to now. But this collection seems entirely unproven. Anybody know where we stand?

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-04-2016, 09:24 PM
I'm thinking we might be a little short in the kicking game. We have only one signee, AJ Reed, listed as a K. We also have four roster players listed either as a K or a P. Austin Parker, redshirt freshman, seems to be the only scholarship punter. The other two are walkons: Will Kline, a junior, listed as a K/P and Collin Wareham, a junior K.

We may be a little spoiled after Ross Martin and Will Monday, but I'm not sure what we actually have at this point. One of Cutcliffe's requirements, as he came aboard, was to establish a good kicking game. He has done that up to now. But this collection seems entirely unproven. Anybody know where we stand?

Last night Coach Cutcliffe spoke very confidently about AJ Reed and the plan for him to come in as our kicker, just as Ross did. He's been ranked as high as #11 in the country. What we saw in the videos illustrated his ability to be consistent under great pressure. His longest FG has been 48 yards. Since making his verbal commitment, AJ has been working at increasing that distance, just as Ross is now doing in preparation for the NFL.

jimsumner
02-04-2016, 10:15 PM

Monday and Martin were equally unproven going into the 2012 season. Cut is following the template he developed with Monday and Martin, i.e. redshirting the freshman punter and playing the true-freshman placekicker. He expects both to be four-year guys. Kline has a cannon, so he could be a Willoughby-analog and take over some kickoffs.

Cut also said yesterday that he expects Parker to take over from Monday as the holder on placekicks. Cut seems to like having punters as holders. Hennessey and Parker will spend all summer getting this down to something approaching automatic.

duke blue brewcrew
02-05-2016, 08:31 AM
Bringing in 10 recruits with an average ranking of 85.82, Coach Derek Jones was listed at #8 on the list of Top 10 recruiters in the ACC. Clemson's Def. Co., Brent Venables tops the list bringing in 9 recruits with an average ranking of 89.76 for the Tigers. Here's the link to the full list: http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Clemsons-Venables-is-ACC-Recruiter-of-the-Year-43490877

budwom
02-05-2016, 08:44 AM
Celebrated OL coach John Latina is moving on....hopefully we replace him with a really good guy....Collins also changing his job, but staying in a non coaching role I believe...

duke blue brewcrew
02-05-2016, 08:56 AM
Celebrated OL coach John Latina is moving on...hopefully we replace him with a really good guy...Collins also changing his job, but staying in a non coaching role I believe...

From what I read, it appears that Latina is retiring, and Collins is being transitioned into an administrative role within the athletic department.

OldPhiKap
02-05-2016, 08:58 AM
From what I read, it appears that Latina is retiring, and Collins is being transitioned into an administrative role within the athletic department.

Hate to see Latina retire, he has turned the O line from a liability to one of our better squads IMO. But I can't blame a guy for wanting to go play some golf and spend some time out of the grind.

Many thanks for helping build #DukeGang into what it is and what it will become.

devildeac
02-05-2016, 09:18 AM
Hate to see Latina retire, he has turned the O line from a liability to one of our better squads IMO. But I can't blame a guy for wanting to go play some golf and spend some time out of the grind.

Many thanks for helping build #DukeGang into what it is and what it will become.

On a related note (WTH? from me? with no beer reference? :eek::rolleyes:), this is a damn fine honor:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210660389

Congrats to Laken and his mentor/s!

OldPhiKap
02-05-2016, 09:21 AM
On a related note

Don't go changing on me, bro.

nocilla
02-05-2016, 10:54 AM

Collins is now Director of Football Relations & Special Assistant to the Head Coach.

Also, Ben Albert has been hired as the program’s Associate Defensive Coordinator and defensive line coach. Albert was the defensive line coach at Boston College for the last 3 years.

http://www.scout.com/college/duke/story/1640288-cutcliffe-announces-duke-football-staff-chang

duke blue brewcrew
02-05-2016, 11:02 AM
I like this hire a lot! If these stats don't make you feel good about hiring Ben Albert, I don't know what will.

Albert joins the Blue Devil staff after spending the last three seasons (2013-14-15) coaching the defensive line at Boston College. In 2015, the Eagles led the country in total defense (254.3), third down conversion defense (.241) and tackles for loss per game (9.6) while also ranking among the nation’s top five in rushing defense (2nd; 82.8), scoring defense (4th; 15.3) and passing efficiency defense (5th; 104.66).

Full article here:

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-announces-hiring-of-Boston-Colleges-Ben-Albert-as-DL-coach-43503978

OldPhiKap
02-05-2016, 11:08 AM
Collins is now Director of Football Relations & Special Assistant to the Head Coach.

Also, Ben Albert has been hired as the program’s Associate Defensive Coordinator and defensive line coach. Albert was the defensive line coach at Boston College for the last 3 years.

http://www.scout.com/college/duke/story/1640288-cutcliffe-announces-duke-football-staff-chang

I like this hire a lot! If these stats don't make you feel good about hiring Ben Albert, I don't know what will.

Full article here:

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-announces-hiring-of-Boston-Colleges-Ben-Albert-as-DL-coach-43503978

If BC did one thing well last year, it was defense. Particularly run defense.

Let's go Duke! Welcome to Durham, Coach Albert!

Any past connection with Cut?

budwom
02-05-2016, 11:45 AM

Full article here:

Beagle fans are sad to see him go...If our DL were half as good as BC's has been, we'd win 2-3 more games/ year.
Still no official announcement on Latina, more shuffling to come. But getting Albert is a very nice development indeed.

p.s. Latina is only about 57 years old....so is he really retiring? I guess we'll know soon.

duke blue brewcrew
02-05-2016, 11:57 AM
Beagle fans are sad to see him go...If our DL were half as good as BC's has been, we'd win 2-3 more games/ year.
Still no official announcement on Latina, more shuffling to come. But getting Albert is a very nice development indeed.

p.s. Latina is only about 57 years old...so is he really retiring? I guess we'll know soon.

Based on what I've been reading, I believe there is some promoting from within for the OL position. Budwom, you make an excellent point about Latina's age. Duke did not lack for O-Line production under Latina. One of his pupils was a first rounder and just made the All NFL Rookie Team, Laken Tomlinson.

budwom
02-05-2016, 11:59 AM
yeah, everyone loves what Latina has done, sorry to see him go? Did he want the OC job that went to Roper? I have no idea, Cut
runs a pretty tight (little info escapes) ship.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-05-2016, 12:39 PM
yeah, everyone loves what Latina has done, sorry to see him go? Did he want the OC job that went to Roper? I have no idea, Cut
runs a pretty tight (little info escapes) ship.

Can you elaborate on Coach Latina's retirement? The only information I've been able to find so far is about changes in the staff responsible for defense.

Bob Green
02-05-2016, 03:26 PM
The hiring of Ben Albert is exciting news, he has an excellent resume. Coach Cutcliffe pushing the program forward with an excellent recruiting class followed by improvements on the staff. I am a bit worried about the Coach Latina "news" as he has been such important part of the program's success. I'm anxiously awaiting futher news on staff changes.

budwom
02-05-2016, 04:35 PM
Can you elaborate on Coach Latina's retirement? The only information I've been able to find so far is about changes in the staff responsible for defense.

As we discussed earlier in the thread, there has been no announcement on him. I personally doubt he is truly retiring as he is only 57, but I have zero real information.
Cut runs a tight ship, pretty much leak proof, so we'll know when he announces something. I would bet Latina will be coaching someplace else next year. Sorry to see him go, but
if Marcus Johnson proves to be his replacement as is rumored, that's fine with me.