PDA

View Full Version : Lance Thomas Piece

duke74
01-12-2016, 07:40 AM
I was going to post the Berman (NY Post) piece on Lance yesterday, but got distracted.

I've watched most of the Knicks games this year. Lance has become an integral part of the team after being part of one of the "blow up the team" deals last year and going through a cut - then 10 day contract(s). He has displayed surprising (?) offensive skills to go with his known drive and defensive abilities and hustle. Fisher is using him to guard all 5 positions based on the match ups. He is now comfortable from 3-point range and has developed a cute floater, esp. on the baseline.

The good and the bad. Playing great and contributing - but maybe pricing himself out of returning to MSG. A shame. But great for him.

If I remember (didn't go back to the article), Berman touts him as a potential "most improved player" award winner. With Porzingis playing as well as he has been, and MElo (finally) learning to involve others in the offense, this has been a refreshing restart to the team after the abomination of last year. (And with Robin Lopez looking way better on offense than expected. Like his twin, with better hair.)

Any other NYers/Knicks fans want to chime in here? Do you agree with my assessment?

cspan37421
01-12-2016, 07:58 AM
barely following it, but glad for him.

One thing that surprised me, in seeing his highlights, is that he looks significantly wider around the middle from what I remember him being. Doesn't seem to affect his hops, but w/r/t his body type I don't really recognize him anymore. Does anyone else see that? I guess if you're watching him all the time you might not notice a gradual change. I've really seen little of him since 2010, save for these breakout highlights.

BD80
01-12-2016, 10:51 AM

One thing that surprised me, in seeing his highlights, is that he looks significantly wider around the middle from what I remember him being. ...

Must be wearing that padded base layer for protection ...

Dukehky
01-12-2016, 11:10 AM
By the title, I thought this was about jewelry ;)

sagegrouse
01-12-2016, 11:57 AM
By the title, I thought this was about jewelry ;)

And, for the record, Front Page, Lance Thomas did not attempt a three-point shot at Duke.

huey
01-12-2016, 12:10 PM
And, for the record, Front Page, Lance Thomas did not attempt a three-point shot at Duke.

O man, don't I know it. I cringed hard the first time I saw him T up for a corner three with 20 seconds left on the shot clock. Thought for sure K was going to yank him...but it went in! Looked it up on Wikipedia on the spot since I didn't remember him ever having shot a 3 at Duke (let alone outside the paint). And yup, not a single attempt.

That's what makes the great dunk against the Bucks even more outstanding. He blows past his defender b/c the guy bites hard on his pump fake at the three point line. Because Lance Thomas is a three point threat! (Let that sink in).

I follow online NBA game discussion threads a lot. At the beginning of the season, Knicks fans were moaning that Lance was getting too much playing time over other flashier rotation players. They'd question why Derek Fisher was keeping him in in late game situations. But his hustle and outstanding play has really swayed the crowd. Now they even call for him to come in to steady the first unit down.

He really should have a good shot at Most Improved Player, but he's not the flashiest. His head-down runnin and hustlin defense is great, but not many voters will pay too much attention. But if he keeps throwing down dunks like that, he'll get plenty of attention since he plays in NY. And the Knicks themselves are the Most Improved Team. They're not great (battling for 50/50-which used to be a playoff spot in the East), but they were garbage last year. This year's team is much more cohesive and fun thanks to Lance, Dad Melo, and Porzingod.

I'm not even sure who the other major contenders would be. Zaza on the Mavs? But wasn't he already a starter on the Bucks last year and so he's just bumped his stats a little? Jeremy Lin is playing great in Charlotte but he's old news. To be fair, Steph Curry at the beginning of the season might have been MIP....over his prior MVP season. Let that sink in for a bit.

Such a great story- local boy, 10 day contracts, hustle guy now seeing the hard work pay off. Hope the Knicks can keep him next year.

sagegrouse
01-12-2016, 12:16 PM
O man, don't I know it. I cringed hard the first time I saw him T up for a corner three with 20 seconds left on the shot clock. Thought for sure K was going to yank him...but it went in! Looked it up on Wikipedia on the spot since I didn't remember him ever having shot a 3 at Duke (let alone outside the paint). And yup, not a single attempt.

That's what makes the great dunk against the Bucks even more outstanding. He blows past his defender b/c the guy bites hard on his pump fake at the three point line. Because Lance Thomas is a three point threat! (Let that sink in).

For the "Doubting Thomas" or two among us, here is LT's stat line from GoDuke.statsgeek (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/statlines.php?playerid=519).

killerleft
01-12-2016, 12:26 PM

The only guy who could stop Lance Thomas on offense was Coach K!:o

cspan37421
01-12-2016, 12:59 PM
Must be wearing that padded base layer for protection ...

I can see how, as a Dukie, he'd need a flak jacket.