PDA

View Full Version : 2016 MBB Coaching Carousel

awhom111
01-12-2016, 12:57 AM
It got an interesting early start already with UNLV firing Dave Rice. This job is intriguing with all of the local recruiting connections.

With Rice, I wonder if he ever had any reasonable shots to leave, especially the Arizona State job over the summer.

brevity
02-26-2016, 12:54 PM
Is it time for one of the armchair coaches of DBR to try coaching for real?

Posted today from the Office of Human Resources of the University of Wisconsin in Madison: Position Vacancy Listing #85669, Head Men's Basketball Coach (http://www.ohr.wisc.edu/Weblisting/External/PVLSummary.aspx?pvl_num=85669).

The job requires a bachelor's degree but does not require prior experience. "Minimum of 5 years of successful collegiate basketball coaching experience preferred. Division I head coaching experience is also preferred." I would think 5 years on DBR is at least as good as that, if not better. Enough of you have experience with I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ing and moaning in the postgame thread, which is really all you want in a Wisconsin coach.

Salary starts at $300,000, but may be more based on qualification, which I take to mean the number of sporks earned on DBR.

You have only 6 days to apply. "To ensure full consideration, complete applications must be received by 4:30 p.m. CST, March 3, 2016." Interestingly, the anticipated start date is March 8, which seems early.

P.S. Does Hubert Davis read DBR? Someone forward this link to him.

rsvman
02-26-2016, 12:56 PM
I'm all over this. thanks, brevity.

jimsumner
02-26-2016, 03:28 PM

Posted today from the Office of Human Resources of the University of Wisconsin in Madison: Position Vacancy Listing #85669, Head Men's Basketball Coach (http://www.ohr.wisc.edu/Weblisting/External/PVLSummary.aspx?pvl_num=85669).

The job requires a bachelor's degree but does not require prior experience. "Minimum of 5 years of successful collegiate basketball coaching experience preferred. Division I head coaching experience is also preferred." I would think 5 years on DBR is at least as good as that, if not better. Enough of you have experience with I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ing and moaning in the postgame thread, which is really all you want in a Wisconsin coach.

Salary starts at $300,000, but may be more based on qualification, which I take to mean the number of sporks earned on DBR.

You have only 6 days to apply. "To ensure full consideration, complete applications must be received by 4:30 p.m. CST, March 3, 2016." Interestingly, the anticipated start date is March 8, which seems early.

I'm pretty sure I couldn't handle Wisconsin winters.

devildeac
02-26-2016, 03:34 PM
I'm pretty sure I couldn't handle Wisconsin winters.

That's good to know and I hope they won't badger you about the opportunity.

Billy Dat
02-26-2016, 03:39 PM
I have to think LSU may be coming open, it's not very often that the potential #1 pick in the draft doesn't play in the NCAAs, although not even Steph Curry could get Davidson to the NCAAs in his final year...granted he almost took them to the FF in his sophomore year.

FerryFor50
02-26-2016, 03:42 PM
I have to think LSU may be coming open, it's not very often that the potential #1 pick in the draft doesn't play in the NCAAs, although not even Steph Curry could get Davidson to the NCAAs in his final year...granted he almost took them to the FF in his sophomore year.

I have to imagine that every coach of a blue blood program will point to LSU as a reason why top recruits shouldn't go to a secondary/tertiary option.

Billy Dat
02-26-2016, 03:46 PM
I have to imagine that every coach of a blue blood program will point to LSU as a reason why top recruits shouldn't go to a secondary/tertiary option.

Indeed - I should have credited the CBS Eye on College Basketball podcast where I heard this discussion happening - you can even get some Grayson tripping talk:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25495896/podcast-talking-about-eye-poking-court-storming-leg-tripping-etc

ChillinDuke
02-26-2016, 04:02 PM

HAHA! Can't spork you.

Every part of this post is incredible.

But most especially the bolded parts.

- Chillin

awhom111
03-09-2016, 01:42 AM
I hope nobody wasted any time on the Wisconsin application since they so quickly hired the interim guy. Insert Bo Ryan joke here.

We are starting to get a few more openings along with ones like North Carolina A&T and Arkansas State that also opened up in season. Drexel seems like it could be a reasonable job for someone and UMBC is also open.

Locally to me, Santa Clara is now open. They seem to have had reasonable-ish talent (if not Steve Nash-like) for their level in recent years so the number of losing seasons that Kerry Keating had would seem out of place. He actually won a CIT and CBI tournament each, which I think makes his overall record look better than it might be otherwise. I am not sure that the program is ever set up to reach St. Mary's levels, but they could definitely be a .500 type program that makes a minor postseason tournament regularly. Also, he looks ways older than his age and I was a little shocked when I looked it up today.

brevity
03-09-2016, 03:11 AM
I hope nobody wasted any time on the Wisconsin application since they so quickly hired the interim guy.

Yeah, I think the job posting was a legal formality, and their choice was already determined. Would explain why Human Resources kept it open for less than a week. Also, by hiring the guy permanently rather than someone new, we don't get to refer to his short tenure as a rent-a-coach situation.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-09-2016, 06:09 AM
I hope nobody wasted any time on the Wisconsin application since they so quickly hired the interim guy. Insert Bo Ryan joke here.

We are starting to get a few more openings along with ones like North Carolina A&T and Arkansas State that also opened up in season. Drexel seems like it could be a reasonable job for someone and UMBC is also open.

Locally to me, Santa Clara is now open. They seem to have had reasonable-ish talent (if not Steve Nash-like) for their level in recent years so the number of losing seasons that Kerry Keating had would seem out of place. He actually won a CIT and CBI tournament each, which I think makes his overall record look better than it might be otherwise. I am not sure that the program is ever set up to reach St. Mary's levels, but they could definitely be a .500 type program that makes a minor postseason tournament regularly. Also, he looks ways older than his age and I was a little shocked when I looked it up today.

I would much prefer working winters in Santa Clara than in Wisco. Also happens to be my wife's alma mater.

Let me know when they post the Banana Slug opening, please. I will work on tweaking my resume.

BD80
03-09-2016, 08:41 AM

Yeah, I think the job posting was a legal formality, and their choice was already determined. Would explain why Human Resources kept it open for less than a week. Also, by hiring the guy permanently rather than someone new, we don't get to refer to his short tenure as a rent-a-coach situation.

I wonder if the new coach will get the same perks on recruiting trips that the old coach got?

Henderson
03-09-2016, 09:03 AM
It got an interesting early start already with UNLV firing Dave Rice. This job is intriguing with all of the local recruiting connections.

The UNLV administration is talking about a nationwide search (or at least sit-downs with prominent coaches nationally), but Stacey Augmon is an assistant and is being promoted by some of the UNLV boosters. When he was passed over for the interim job after head coach Rice was fired mid-season, his wife tweeted, "Stacey is getting [bleeped] just like the last time he was here."

P.S. It's going to be 72F and sunny in LV today, with sunshine and temps hitting 80F this weekend. Madison, not so much.

SCMatt33
03-09-2016, 07:15 PM
Well if this hire somehow happened (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/osusportsextra/if-coaching-change-is-made-at-osu-eddie-sutton-would/article_879ac528-f5cf-5f7d-97c7-9cd7b6482410.html), it would result in the most alarmingly unathletic team in college basketball. Obviously, Travis Ford is still employed as of today, but given that this is Eddie Sutton speaking on the matter, it probably has a bit more weight than baseless internet speculation.

BD80
03-09-2016, 07:51 PM
Well if this hire somehow happened (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/osusportsextra/if-coaching-change-is-made-at-osu-eddie-sutton-would/article_879ac528-f5cf-5f7d-97c7-9cd7b6482410.html), it would result in the most alarmingly unathletic team in college basketball. ...

No, the worst coached team.

awhom111
03-10-2016, 12:51 AM
Another job opened here locally as Rex Walters is fired at USF. This one was just a matter of time for his record to be bad enough in a season to justify it. There has been way too much drama and other issues in the program since he has been there. They may never get to the level of Bill Russell's days, but they are trying to make a commitment to be more than a .500 or so program. Eventually the UOP/(Pacific to all of you non-locals) situation will also sort itself out.

I would much prefer working winters in Santa Clara than in Wisco. Also happens to be my wife's alma mater.

Let me know when they post the Banana Slug opening, please. I will work on tweaking my resume.

Now I am confused. The Santa Clara Broncos are open and not the UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs. One is a mid-major DI program and the other is a DII school that does not care much about sports, which explains their mascots. Both have reasonable weather.

One thing is for certain about Johnny Dawkins. If you like mild weather (without the possibility of cold summers), Stanford is probably the best school in the entire country on that front.

The UNLV administration is talking about a nationwide search (or at least sit-downs with prominent coaches nationally), but Stacey Augmon is an assistant and is being promoted by some of the UNLV boosters. When he was passed over for the interim job after head coach Rice was fired mid-season, his wife tweeted, "Stacey is getting [bleeped] just like the last time he was here."

P.S. It's going to be 72F and sunny in LV today, with sunshine and temps hitting 80F this weekend. Madison, not so much.

I may take this back if they suddenly win the MWC tournament, but it seems like this was not a good opportunity to be an interim and the guy they picked has not proven that he should be given the job. Maybe it would have been better to stay above the fray and see if he could get a chance at the end. Are there any obvious choices for targets?

TexHawk
03-10-2016, 09:19 AM
Well if this hire somehow happened (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/osusportsextra/if-coaching-change-is-made-at-osu-eddie-sutton-would/article_879ac528-f5cf-5f7d-97c7-9cd7b6482410.html), it would result in the most alarmingly unathletic team in college basketball. Obviously, Travis Ford is still employed as of today, but given that this is Eddie Sutton speaking on the matter, it probably has a bit more weight than baseless internet speculation.

I would be surprised if Ford is fired. He's a disaster, don't get me wrong. But (a) he's owed close to $10 million on one of the more ridiculous contracts in sports, (b) his best player, Phil Forte, missed most of the year and will get a medical redshirt, and (c) he has the Big12 Freshman of the Year coming back in 16-17. With Hield, Niang, Gathers, Ellis, and a couple others all graduating, OSU is likely a Top 3 team in the league next year.

If he does get the ax, the replacement would almost have to be someone like Gottlieb, who they can pay in peanuts due to (a) above. They won't be able to attract an established coach.

Reddevil
03-10-2016, 09:59 AM

With Rice, I wonder if he ever had any reasonable shots to leave, especially the Arizona State job over the summer.

Can you imagine if Hurley had waited a year....and, and, and took this job?! Would the stars have ever aligned again?:confused:

Jeffrey
03-10-2016, 10:39 AM

IMO, the quick counter should be Davidson.

sagegrouse
03-10-2016, 12:20 PM
I would be surprised if Ford is fired. He's a disaster, don't get me wrong. But (a) he's owed close to $10 million on one of the more ridiculous contracts in sports, (b) his best player, Phil Forte, missed most of the year and will get a medical redshirt, and (c) he has the Big12 Freshman of the Year coming back in 16-17. With Hield, Niang, Gathers, Ellis, and a couple others all graduating, OSU is likely a Top 3 team in the league next year.

If he does get the ax, the replacement would almost have to be someone like Gottlieb, who they can pay in peanuts due to (a) above. They won't be able to attract an established coach.
Is there a single example in the last 50 years of someone becoming a major college head coach without previously being a coach at any level?

Kindly,
Sage Grouse
'Actually, Gottlieb was a volunteer assistant at Golden West College in his "sit-out" year between Notre Dame and Oklahoma State -- Uhhhh.... Doesn't count'

devildeac
03-10-2016, 12:23 PM
Is there a single example in the last 50 years of someone becoming a major college head coach without previously being a coach at any level?

Kindly,
Sage Grouse
'Actually, Gottlieb was a volunteer assistant at Golden West College in his "sit-out" year between Notre Dame and Oklahoma State -- Uhhhh... Doesn't count'

Well, if that becomes reality, he would be alarmingly unqualified...

BandAlum83
03-10-2016, 12:41 PM

Kindly,
Sage Grouse
'Actually, Gottlieb was a volunteer assistant at Golden West College in his "sit-out" year between Notre Dame and Oklahoma State -- Uhhhh... Doesn't count'

Chris Mullin?

SCMatt33
03-10-2016, 12:46 PM
Chris Mullin?

Yup. Fred Hoiberg also did it.

Reilly
03-10-2016, 01:06 PM
Is there a single example in the last 50 years of someone becoming a major college head coach without previously being a coach at any level? ...

Doesn't qualify as starting at the "major" level, but interesting to me: I believe Michigan's Beilein has never been an assistant at any level, starting as a head coach in h.s. then at the community college level, and moving up to progressively larger colleges.

JMU might come open, as the president apparently refused to comment when asked if he wants Matt Brady back, per @NSunderland4, local beat writer.

DU82
03-10-2016, 08:21 PM
No shocker that Eddie Jordan was let go at Rutgers. The new AD cleared house in the football program, and is now turning to the basketball team. My guess is that they'll throw a LOT of money at Danny Hurley to come back home to NJ.

awhom111
03-10-2016, 09:48 PM
Also appears to be an opening at Southern Utah. I don't really know anything about that program.

I suppose we will get more power conference movements as teams lose in their conference tournaments.

Rutgers seems like place where someone should be able to do something, but their athletic department never sustains anything.

Henderson
03-11-2016, 10:37 AM
Rutgers seems like place where someone should be able to do something, but their athletic department never sustains anything.

Well, hiring Mike O'Koren might have been a signal. That guy has been climbing down the corporate ladder since he stopped playing in 1988. He was broadcasting high school games in 2014 before his patron Eddie Jordan rescued him (again) from a career in the tank.

DU82
03-11-2016, 08:40 PM
Well, hiring Mike O'Koren might have been a signal. That guy has been climbing down the corporate ladder since he stopped playing in 1988. He was broadcasting high school games in 2014 before his patron Eddie Jordan rescued him (again) from a career in the tank.

And he lasted a year as an assistant before becoming a "special assistant", or in other words, an empty suit.

awhom111
03-12-2016, 01:36 AM
The Blue Devils have an opening!

Oh wait, that's Central Connecticut State.

The jobs are opening up so fast now that there's not too much point in touching on all of them. I would like to mention that Jim Crews managed to get Lane Kiffin-ed by Saint Louis's Pat Haden equivalent, which is always impressive.

YmoBeThere
03-12-2016, 06:23 AM
A friend of mine from junior high lettered a few years at Central Connecticut State back in the early 90's. He's been a 20+ year employee of ESPN...

budwom
03-12-2016, 07:20 AM
No shocker that Eddie Jordan was let go at Rutgers. The new AD cleared house in the football program, and is now turning to the basketball team. My guess is that they'll throw a LOT of money at Danny Hurley to come back home to NJ.

They sure have prospered in the Big Whatever.

SoCalDukeFan
03-12-2016, 11:25 PM
UCLA to keep Alford (http://www.scout.com/college/ucla/story/1650872-ucla-to-retain-steve-alford)

SoCal

BD80
03-13-2016, 05:04 PM
UCLA to keep Alford (http://www.scout.com/college/ucla/story/1650872-ucla-to-retain-steve-alford)

SoCal

And John Wooden is rolling over in his grave ...

brevity
03-14-2016, 03:21 PM
Jeff Goodman (https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/709457365045813248) ‏@GoodmanESPN

Stanford has parted ways with Johnny Dawkins, source told ESPN.

12:13 PM - 14 Mar 2016

Gary Parrish (https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/status/709457776087539713) ‏@GaryParrishCBS

Johnny Dawkins will not return as Stanford’s coach, a source confirmed to @CBSSports.

12:14 PM - 14 Mar 2016

SCMatt33
03-14-2016, 03:35 PM
Jeff Goodman (https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/709457365045813248) ‏@GoodmanESPN

Gary Parrish (https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/status/709457776087539713) ‏@GaryParrishCBS

Johnny Dawkins will not return as Stanford’s coach, a source confirmed to @CBSSports.

You feel for Johnny given that he had some rotten injury luck over time, but 1 tournament appearance and only 2 winning pac-12 seasons in 8 years probably wasn't going to cut it at Stanford. That Sweet 16 bought him an extra year despite last season's disappointing tourney miss. Good luck to him, and I hope he lands somewhere next year.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-14-2016, 03:38 PM

Tough for Johnny. Seemed like a good fit, just couldn't get over the hump. I hope he finds another chance with a major conference soon.

Merlindevildog91
03-14-2016, 04:06 PM
JMU is looking for a coach.

http://pilotonline.com/news/nation-world/virginia/matt-brady-out-at-james-madison-as-men-s-basketball/article_49eec97b-ef65-5b0b-a1f3-6b44351bd18d.html

53n206
03-14-2016, 04:32 PM
Tough for Johnny. Seemed like a good fit, just couldn't get over the hump. I hope he finds another chance with a major conference soon.

Expected this. Did not have a particularly good season, especially in the conference.

duke79
03-14-2016, 04:33 PM

Yea, you have to feel for Johnny. I'm sure it's not a good experience to be fired from a high-profile job. He has always been a class act and I'm sure a very good coach. I know he's had bad luck over the years with injuries to key players but I wonder if his main problem was not being to recruit enough the top level players to Stanford? Does Stanford really have much higher admission standards for elite athletes than Duke or Notre Dame or Northwestern? Is it a much tougher place to recruit players to? I know we have had this discussion before on this board but I wonder how much of success at the highest levels of college basketball is because of recruiting and how much is due to coaching the players you have?

Skitzle
03-14-2016, 04:40 PM
Yea, you have to feel for Johnny. I'm sure it's not a good experience to be fired from a high-profile job. He has always been a class act and I'm sure a very good coach. I know he's had bad luck over the years with injuries to key players but I wonder if his main problem was not being to recruit enough the top level players to Stanford? Does Stanford really have much higher admission standards for elite athletes than Duke or Notre Dame or Northwestern? Is it a much tougher place to recruit players to? I know we have had this discussion before on this board but I wonder how much of success at the highest levels of college basketball is because of recruiting and how much is due to coaching the players you have?

Think NDot Smitty Might Join him as an assistant in his next gig?

Indoor66
03-14-2016, 05:15 PM
Unfortunately, Dawkins always came across as not quite ready from prime time. He did not perform.

brevity
03-14-2016, 05:56 PM
When I posted the tweets about Johnny Dawkins above, I neglected to mention that Dawkins' predecessor, Trent Johnson, was also let go today.

http://cbssports.com/ncaab/eye-on-college-basketball/25516178/tcu-fires-trent-johnson-after-four-seasons-as-horned-frogs-coach

In 4 seasons at TCU, he finished 9th once and 10th three times in the Big XII. Which sounds worse once you remember that the Big XII has only 10 teams.

Will Dawkins succeed him again? TCU is not a great program, but expectations are low.

CameronBornAndBred
03-14-2016, 06:12 PM
I was under the impression that recruiting was one his strong points. Is it out of the realm of reason that he lands back on our bench one day?

TexHawk
03-14-2016, 06:47 PM
When I posted the tweets about Johnny Dawkins above, I neglected to mention that Dawkins' predecessor, Trent Johnson, was also let go today.

http://cbssports.com/ncaab/eye-on-college-basketball/25516178/tcu-fires-trent-johnson-after-four-seasons-as-horned-frogs-coach

In 4 seasons at TCU, he finished 9th once and 10th three times in the Big XII. Which sounds worse once you remember that the Big XII has only 10 teams.

Will Dawkins succeed him again? TCU is not a great program, but expectations are low.

TCU actually has some expectations now. They have money to spend, just put in some new facilities, and are smack in the middle of a talent-rich area. There is no reason they can't be Baylor in hoops, or at least Texas Tech.

duke79
03-16-2016, 02:45 PM
Jay Williams interviewing for the Rutgers job? Why does he want it?

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/report--espn-s-jay-williams-emerges-as-rutgers-coaching-candidate-174943203.html

flyingdutchdevil
03-16-2016, 02:47 PM
Jay Williams interviewing for the Rutgers job? Why?

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/report--espn-s-jay-williams-emerges-as-rutgers-coaching-candidate-174943203.html

Cus he's from Jersey. And he wants to get into coaching. The whole ESPN thing may not be his thing. I mean, he does have to listen to Seth Greenberg for 4-5 hours a day (in fairness, I really like Seth Greenberg. His insight isn't poor and he's not annoying ala Dickie V)

luburch
03-16-2016, 02:56 PM
Cus he's from Jersey. And he wants to get into coaching. The whole ESPN thing may not be his thing. I mean, he does have to listen to Seth Greenberg for 4-5 hours a day (in fairness, I really like Seth Greenberg. His insight isn't poor and he's not annoying ala Dickie V)

Heck, maybe he'll join Jay on his staff.

I kid, I kid. Hard to imagine Jay getting HC job without any coaching experience first. Then again, it's happened before (see Kidd, Jason and Fisher, Derek) and apparently some people want Gottlieb to coach at Oklahoma State. :confused:

duke79
03-16-2016, 02:59 PM
Obviously, somewhat of a gamble but MAY be a good hire for Rutgers (as the article points out, Jay knows the NJ/NY basketball scene quite well and I'm sure he'd be a good recruiter).

devildeac
03-16-2016, 02:59 PM

Rutgers can't get much worse. Plus, we'll have another name to add to the K Koaching tree if he gets the gig and another name to add as a potential candidate to replace K when he retires in 2025 (or later). ;)

Plus, as fdd stated, perhaps he's tired of being in the same studio as seethe groanburg day after day/week after week :rolleyes: .

duke79
03-16-2016, 03:06 PM
Rutgers can't get much worse. Plus, we'll have another name to add to the K Koaching tree if he gets the gig and another name to add as a potential candidate to replace K when he retires in 2025 (or later). ;)

Plus, as fdd stated, perhaps he's tired of being in the same studio as seethe groanburg day after day/week after week :rolleyes: .

Yea, has to be painful dealing with some of the talking heads at ESPN, including "groanburg". Just out of curiosity, I've often wondered how much ESPN pays people like Jay Williams or the other college basketball analysts?

BD80
03-16-2016, 03:43 PM

IIRC Rutgers was on his final list of schools before committing to Duke. Real hometown connection.

DU82
03-19-2016, 05:26 PM
IIRC Rutgers was on his final list of schools before committing to Duke. Real hometown connection.

Rutgers will hire Stony Brook coach Steve Pikiell on Tuesday. Former UConn player (1990) who's been on Long Island for 11 seasons.

BD80
03-19-2016, 05:28 PM
Rutgers will hire Stony Brook coach Steve Pikiell on Tuesday. Former UConn player (1990) who's been on Long Island for 11 seasons.

His accent must be unbearable ;)

OldPhiKap
03-19-2016, 05:29 PM

So he can beat Maryland again?

SCMatt33
03-19-2016, 05:59 PM

Not normal where a power 5 school hires out of the America East conference, but that's Rutgers for you. Pikiell seems like he's done a good job a Stony Brook and maybe could help turn it around. Rutgers really needs to show a strong commitment though before the best players in NJ will stay home. They need to break ground on new facilities for starters. I can't imagine any kid dreaming of playing at the RAC.

Henderson
03-20-2016, 04:22 PM
I'd like to see Jamie Dixon take the job at TCU. Or Timbuktu. Or some planet in a galaxy far far away from the ACC.

sue71, esq
03-20-2016, 05:09 PM
I'd like to see Jamie Dixon take the job at TCU. Or Timbuktu. Or some planet in a galaxy far far away from the ACC.

That move makes no sense to me for Jamie. He'd go from being middle of the pack to... middle of the pack. Plus, he'd be coaching the 3rd sport at TCU. Yes, I realize he's an alum, but football rules the day and baseball isn't far behind. Basketball is definitely #3.

That being said, I read (Yahoo? CBS Sports?) that TCU is willing to throw money at Jamie to make this happen.

I thought he was trying to get back west, though, and TCU doesn't seem to really help. I'd heard his name for UNLV but I can't see them finding the money for him.

Pghdukie
03-20-2016, 08:58 PM
Dixon played at TCU back in the 80's. I too, would like to see him take his cupcake non-conference schedule down the road. Pitt's new AD may want to bring in his own coach, Ala football. Higher-ups aren't thrilled that attendance at the Pete has been dwindling.

Reilly
03-21-2016, 11:26 AM
Not normal where a power 5 school hires out of the America East conference ...

Notre Dame did with Brey: http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/mike-brey-1.html

And of course Duke took a flyer on a young guy out of the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference Metro: http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/mike-krzyzewski-1.html

jimsumner
03-21-2016, 12:07 PM
Within the span of about a year, Duke, NC State and Georgia Tech hired coaches from Army, Iona and Appalachian State. Worked out.

Carl Tacy came to the ACC from Marshall, Cliff Ellis from South Alabama, Lefty Driesell and Terry Holland from Davidson. Dean Smith's first head coaching job was in the ACC.

This was one of the ACC's coaching Golden Ages.

So, it can work.

Henderson
03-21-2016, 12:17 PM
So, it did work.

FIFY.

Olympic Fan
03-21-2016, 02:43 PM
It will be interesting to see what Jamie Dixon does. It's kind of like the Herb Sendek situation at N.C. State -- he wasn't close to being fired, but a significant segment of the fan base was getting tired of his plateau of semi-success (11 NCAA Tournaments in 13 years is pretty good ... but he hasn't had a Sweet 16 since 2009).

One factor to consider (I know Dixon will). His Panthers are in very good shape headed into next season.

James Artis and Michael Young should return for their senior seasons -- and that's a formidable pair of forwards. He also has Sheldon Jeter back as a senior at forward and a very promising young big man in Ryan Luther.

He does have to replace PG James Robinson, who is finishes with the best assist/turnover ratio in ACC history. But he was more a solid ball-protector than a dynamic creator/scorer. Dixon thinks he has the replacement on campus -- Jonathan Milligan, a product of Word of God and Mt. Zion, is a juco product who redshirted at Pitt this season. The Pitt people think he's a more dynamic player than Robinson.

Now, they probably need another wing shooter to really take off. Cameron Johnson had some good moments as a soph, but he's too erratic. If Dixon can pick up a fifth-year guy to fill that role, the Panthers could be an upper echelon team in the ACC next year.

Of course, that depends on everybody coming back -- Young and Artis might test the NBA waters (under the new rules, they'd be crazy not to).

All of that has to factor into Dixon's decision.

Pghdukie
03-21-2016, 03:00 PM
AD (Scott Barnes) and Dixon don't get along. Barnes very unhappy that previous AD gave Dixon a deal until 2023. Alum expects more than 1 and done, and lots of empty seats. Dixon has been quoted as telling players he's leaving. TCU and Dixon want a deal before the end of this week. Dixon also assembling asst coaches with Texas connections.As per PP Gazette.

CameronBornAndBred
03-21-2016, 04:12 PM
Goodman reporting Dixon is heading out.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15035722/jamie-dixon-leaving-pittsburgh-panthers-take-tcu-horned-frogs-job

flyingdutchdevil
03-21-2016, 04:21 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15035722/jamie-dixon-leaving-pittsburgh-panthers-take-tcu-horned-frogs-job

Can't really blame him. Perennially being "middle-of-the-pack" is not an exciting proposition in the ACC. The cream of the crop of K, Roy, Pitino, and Boeheim (not for long) is intimidating, with Brey, Bennett, and Buzz holding their own. Tough to compete in the ACC these days year-in and year-out with those seven on top (six on top with Buzz creating buzz in VT).

Pghdukie
03-21-2016, 04:26 PM
All reporting Dixon has officially left Pitt for TCU. Not exactly a step up, IMO.

CDu
03-21-2016, 04:30 PM
Can't really blame him. Perennially being "middle-of-the-pack" is not an exciting proposition in the ACC. The cream of the crop of K, Roy, Pitino, and Boeheim (not for long) is intimidating, with Brey, Bennett, and Buzz holding their own. Tough to compete in the ACC these days year-in and year-out with those seven on top (six on top with Buzz creating buzz in VT).

I agree, though I don't think that explains the move to "bottom-of-the-Big-12-pack" TCU. TCU is, at least, his alma mater. But I don't think a desire not to be mediocre was the impetus for the move.

It's clearly a downward move from a competitive major conference school to a noncompetitive major conference school. Sort of like if Scott Drew went from Baylor to BC. But I guess going to a program where you get along with the AD and where you went to school yourself is enough of a draw.

BD80
03-21-2016, 04:32 PM

Boston College is cheering!

BD80
03-21-2016, 04:36 PM
Wonder if Ben Howland wants to go back to Pitt?

flyingdutchdevil
03-21-2016, 04:47 PM
I agree, though I don't think that explains the move to "bottom-of-the-Big-12-pack" TCU. TCU is, at least, his alma mater. But I don't think a desire not to be mediocre was the impetus for the move.

It's clearly a downward move from a competitive major conference school to a noncompetitive major conference school. Sort of like if Scott Drew went from Baylor to BC. But I guess going to a program where you get along with the AD and where you went to school yourself is enough of a draw.

The Big 12 is also easier to be competitive. When looking at the coaches and teams, you have Self and Smart competing on a yearly basis and Huggins and Drew with strong seasons here and there. It'd rather compete with that than the ACC establishment.

TexHawk
03-21-2016, 04:52 PM

TCU is closer to competing for the top half of the Big12 than you'd think. Brand new facilities, great recruiting base, plenty of $$ for coaches/assistants/buyouts... With Oklahoma (Hield done), OSU (Ford fired), Baylor (Prince/Gathers done), Texas Tech (Gotcher done), Iowa State (Niang done) all likely headed to a bit of a downturn, the only teams solidly ahead of the Frogs over the next couple years are KU, West Virginia, and Texas. (OSU has talent if they can hire a coach.)

And throw in that he's an alum, it's not that crazy of a decision.

devildeac
03-21-2016, 05:00 PM

Trading this:

For this:

Atlanta Duke
03-21-2016, 05:09 PM

Described as a "very amicable and mutual divorce." Sometimes it is simply time to move on.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt/2016/03/21/Jamie-Dixon-Pitt-coach-TCU/stories/201603210131

Pitt has been trending downward since a tough Elite Eight loss in 2009 and with less success Dixon was getting a bit less autonomy from the new Pitt AD hired in 2015.

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/college-pitt-basketball-blog/2016/03/21/Some-Quick-Thoughts-and-Notes-on-Jamie-Dixon.html

Pghdukie
03-21-2016, 05:10 PM
Pitt to hold 5:30 presser to clarify events. Dam, that food looks good !

sagegrouse
03-21-2016, 05:12 PM
jamie Dixon to TCU? Time to change jobs -- people do that. He gets to start over again at a place he's comfortable.

BD80
03-21-2016, 05:20 PM
Any chance Pitt could prize alum Sean Miller from Arizona?

Indoor66
03-21-2016, 05:27 PM
Trading this:

For this:

Looks like a damn good move to me, Dr. :cool:

RPS
03-21-2016, 05:29 PM
If you like mild weather (without the possibility of cold summers), Stanford is probably the best school in the entire country on that front.
The two D1 schools in San Diego beg to differ.

devildeac
03-21-2016, 05:32 PM

Primanti sandwiches to Texas 'Cue? You betcha!

Edouble
03-21-2016, 05:51 PM

That's the big question.

Send him home, Jerome!

JasonEvans
03-21-2016, 05:56 PM
Larry Shyatt, formerly of Clemson, is out at Wyoming.

Edouble
03-21-2016, 05:58 PM

I can speak on some authority that there is a strong chance that he will end up at Western Kentucky.

JasonEvans
03-21-2016, 05:59 PM

He would have to really, really, really love Pittsburgh to want to leave one of the best jobs in the country for a tough situation like Pitt. He is a national title contender every few years at AZ. When was the last time Pitt was even a top 4 NCAA seed?

-Jason "if they were smart, they would go after former Louisville Asst and UNC-W head coach Kevin Keatts. Dude is a stud and will be an even bigger one in his next job at a BCS level school" Evans

JasonEvans
03-21-2016, 06:02 PM
I can speak on some authority that there is a strong chance that he will end up at Western Kentucky.

Ummm, that's a lateral move at best. But, Shyatt is 64 and may just be looking for a nice place to retire in a few years.

Indoor66
03-21-2016, 06:04 PM
Ummm, that's a lateral move at best. But, Shyatt is 64 and may just be looking for a nice place to retire in a few years.

Trust me, The Jewel of the Plains is beautiful most of the year, but at 7,000 feet, winter can be rough.

Edouble
03-21-2016, 06:07 PM
He would have to really, really, really love Pittsburgh to want to leave one of the best jobs in the country for a tough situation like Pitt. He is a national title contender every few years at AZ. When was the last time Pitt was even a top 4 NCAA seed?

-Jason "if they were smart, they would go after former Louisville Asst and UNC-W head coach Kevin Keatts. Dude is a stud and will be an even bigger one in his next job at a BCS level school" Evans

You could have said the same thing when Huggins left Cincinnati for WVU. I know Jerry West played there, but other than that it was a pretty big step down from a program that was a national title contender every few years.

I agree that Pitt is a step down from 'Zona, but there is usually some kind of pull when a coaches alma mater is involved.

Troublemaker
03-21-2016, 06:07 PM

Yeah, I can't see Sean leaving a top 10 job in the country for Pitt. However, brother Archie, who also grew up in Pittsburgh, might consider the Pitt job to be an upgrade on Dayton.

BD80
03-21-2016, 06:08 PM

Primanti sandwiches to Texas 'Cue? You betcha!

Ja jeet jet?

Obviously haven't had a Primanti sandwich.

Henderson
03-21-2016, 06:10 PM
Damn, that food looks good!

Exactly what Sam Clancy said to Duke on February 10, 1979. I remember it well. He went on to eat our lunch. And I can see his big body bouncing around the court in celebration after the game. So I don't know why I like Pitt. I just kind of do. It's a tricky job to fill, though. The program is a little under-supported, and a new coach has to win or he's failed. Although Dixon didn't have a lot of big success, he had success. That's a tricky situation for a new coach.

WiJoe
03-21-2016, 06:20 PM
A-r-c-h-i-e

Pghdukie
03-21-2016, 06:22 PM
There's a name (I can't remember) that played at Pitt. Had a cup of coffee in the pros and Euro. Had a stint with the Harlem Globetrotters and now is an asst coach. Spent time with Calapari at Kty, etc. I think they may have a passing interest. But I would be shocked if they hired him.

hallcity
03-21-2016, 06:28 PM

Shyatt happens

CameronBornAndBred
03-21-2016, 06:38 PM
If you get fired, isn't "a lateral move" a pretty good option?

Olympic Fan
03-21-2016, 07:11 PM
Yeah, I can't see Sean leaving a top 10 job in the country for Pitt. However, brother Archie, who also grew up in Pittsburgh, might consider the Pitt job to be an upgrade on Dayton.

I was just about to post that this is the biggest nightmare for a large segment of the NC State fan base who lust after Archie to replace Gottfried.

I know he went to State, but Archie (like his brother) grew up in the Pittsburgh area (in Beaver Falls, I think), where his father is a legendary high school coach.

Plus, Archie has done a great job in three years a Dayton.

He'd be a good fit at Pitt (unintentional rhyme), but it would make if very hard to see Archie ever getting the job in Raleigh.

BigWayne
03-21-2016, 07:29 PM
If you get fired, isn't "a lateral move" a pretty good option?

If you read his statements, it sounds like he is really trying to retire. Like many who do that, he may change his mind after the reality of it sets in. Right now, I wouldn't bet on him coaching anywhere next year. Now the year after, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the itch and finds a new spot.

BD80
03-21-2016, 08:04 PM
Would Johnny D consider the job?

CDu
03-21-2016, 09:19 PM
Would Johnny D consider the job?

Would Pitt even offer him the chance to consider it? He struggled in the much weaker Pac-12. It is hard to see Pitt wanting him in a much tougher job.

awhom111
03-21-2016, 09:48 PM
Interesting that Wyoming, the school of my family, wrapped things up so quickly.

The two D1 schools in San Diego beg to differ.

In retrospect, you are probably right. There is less precipitation. The winters are much warmer. The summers are cooler although possibly to the point where people might want warmer ones (not that I understand that concept given that I love summers here where the average high is 65 degrees). Of course it is subject to being too close to the rest of Southern California.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-21-2016, 10:03 PM
There's a name (I can't remember) that played at Pitt. Had a cup of coffee in the pros and Euro. Had a stint with the Harlem Globetrotters and now is an asst coach. Spent time with Calapari at Kty, etc. I think they may have a passing interest. But I would be shocked if they hired him.

You are referring to Orlando Antigua, one of my favorite names. As you noted, he is a Pitt alum with great experience as an assistant, mainly under Calipari. However, it looks like in his two years as head coach at South Florida he hasn't topped 10 wins either year, so I doubt they consider him.

TexHawk
03-21-2016, 10:34 PM
You could have said the same thing when Huggins left Cincinnati for WVU. I know Jerry West played there, but other than that it was a pretty big step down from a program that was a national title contender every few years.

I agree that Pitt is a step down from 'Zona, but there is usually some kind of pull when a coaches alma mater is involved.

Huggins resigned/was fired from Cincinnati in 2005 for various reasons. He took a year off and "recruited" guys like Michael Beasley and Bill Walker without the eyes/ears of the NCAA, since he wasn't officially a coach. K-State hired him in 2006 and he brought those guys along. Huggins left in 2007 for West Virginia.

So, I'd agree that Cincy => WVU is lateral at best, it didn't really go down that way. WVU > KSU.

Btw... Reports from out here that Brad Underwood has accepted the Oklahoma State job.

sagegrouse
03-22-2016, 12:22 AM
Shyatt happens

My favorite Larry Shyatt moment. He brought his Clemson team to Cameron in the 2000 season for a classic beatdown. No, shyatt, it was 58-16 at the half, when Dunleavy banked in a halfcourt shot at the buzzer.

After the game, no shyatt, he really said, "At least we won the second half."

burnspbesq
03-22-2016, 12:54 AM
Eventually some power-conference school is going to figure out what should have been obvious for the last decade: James Jones can coach. I doubt that Pitt will be the ones; the memory of Steve Donahue's tenure at BC probably precludes any more Ivy-to-ACC moves.

Pghdukie
03-22-2016, 01:06 AM
You are referring to Orlando Antigua, one of my favorite names. As you noted, he is a Pitt alum with great experience as an assistant, mainly under Calipari. However, it looks like in his two years as head coach at South Florida he hasn't topped 10 wins either year, so I doubt they consider him.

Thanks. I just couldn't remember his name.

throatybeard
03-22-2016, 02:10 AM
My last pass through Wyoming, late last June, I bought some University of Wyoming gear just because it looks so rad.

bob blue devil
03-22-2016, 06:42 AM
i'm really surprised by all of the commentary about how pitt can do better than dixon. here are some of his end of season numbers. they're definitely solid. yes, the last 2 seasons have been mediocre, but we're talking about 2 seasons. and this is pitt, not exactly a school with substantial historical success in basketball. he's taken them to 11 ncaa tournaments and 3 sweet sixteens in his 13 seasons; in the 69 seasons before dixon (i.e. since the start of the ncaa tournament), they had 15 ncaa's and 4 sweet sixteens. as georgia tech, boston college, clemson, nc state, and wake have all learned in recent years, maybe the head coach you got ain't so bad after all.

pomeroy, ap, tournament seed, tournament result
2004 4, 9, ncaa 3, sweet 16
2005 21, n/a, ncaa 9, first round
2006 11, 16, ncaa 5, second round
2007 11, 12, ncaa 3, sweet 16
2008 24, 17, ncaa 4, second round
2009 4, 4, ncaa 1, elite 8
2010 25, 18, ncaa 3, second round
2011 3, 4, ncaa 1, third round (i.e. second round)
2012 68, n/a, cbi, champions
2013 11, 20, ncaa 8, second round (i.e. first round)
2014 19, n/a, ncaa 9, third round (i.e. second round)
2015 78, n/a, nit, first round
2016 44, n/a, ncaa 10, first round

jtelander
03-22-2016, 06:44 AM

SoCal

Alford gives back his contract extension

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15030594/ucla-bruins-coach-steve-alford-says-given-back-one-year-extension

BD80
03-22-2016, 08:20 AM
Alford gives back his contract extension

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15030594/ucla-bruins-coach-steve-alford-says-given-back-one-year-extension

And his agent is doing well after having his stomach pumped

sammy3469
03-22-2016, 09:31 AM
i'm really surprised by all of the commentary about how pitt can do better than dixon. here are some of his end of season numbers. they're definitely solid. yes, the last 2 seasons have been mediocre, but we're talking about 2 seasons. and this is pitt, not exactly a school with substantial historical success in basketball. he's taken them to 11 ncaa tournaments and 3 sweet sixteens in his 13 seasons; in the 69 seasons before dixon (i.e. since the start of the ncaa tournament), they had 15 ncaa's and 4 sweet sixteens. as georgia tech, boston college, clemson, nc state, and wake have all learned in recent years, maybe the head coach you got ain't so bad after all.

pomeroy, ap, tournament seed, tournament result
2004 4, 9, ncaa 3, sweet 16
2005 21, n/a, ncaa 9, first round
2006 11, 16, ncaa 5, second round
2007 11, 12, ncaa 3, sweet 16
2008 24, 17, ncaa 4, second round
2009 4, 4, ncaa 1, elite 8
2010 25, 18, ncaa 3, second round
2011 3, 4, ncaa 1, third round (i.e. second round)
2012 68, n/a, cbi, champions
2013 11, 20, ncaa 8, second round (i.e. first round)
2014 19, n/a, ncaa 9, third round (i.e. second round)
2015 78, n/a, nit, first round
2016 44, n/a, ncaa 10, first round

I don't know about better (since I agree Dixon is a quality major conference coach), but they can certainly do as well. They have no problem paying well, are located a market where they are the only basketball game in town (granted Pitt's a football/hockey town, but there isn't a pro team there), should have ability to recruit (their setup for player exposure is at worst 2nd best to MD in that area as 'Nova/WVU/PennSt/all other Pilly or Cincy schools), etc.

They are potentially a great job given the right coach and support. Let me put it this way, I think we all agree Buzz Peterson is a hell of coach. I think he'd be happier with the Pitt situation than the Va Tech one.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-22-2016, 09:41 AM
Oklahoma State job is filled - looks like a smart hire

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15037899/oklahoma-state-cowboys-expected-hire-brad-underwood-coach

BD80
03-22-2016, 09:57 AM
Oklahoma State job is filled - looks like a smart hire

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15037899/oklahoma-state-cowboys-expected-hire-brad-underwood-coach

So it WASN'T Doug Gottlieb

SCMatt33
03-22-2016, 10:50 AM
Let me put it this way, I think we all agree Buzz Peterson is a hell of coach.

I don't think any of us agree that Buzz Peterson is a hell of a coach!

But I do agree with what you actually meant!

Pghdukie
03-22-2016, 02:51 PM
Sean Miller interviewing at Pitt this afternoon.

flyingdutchdevil
03-22-2016, 03:06 PM

Makes sense. Replace the most underachieving NCAA tournament coach in the ACC with the most underachieving NCAA tournament coach in the United States.

Henderson
03-22-2016, 03:23 PM

Makes sense. Replace the most underachieving NCAA tournament coach in the ACC with the most underachieving NCAA tournament coach in the United States.

CBS is reporting he's been offered by Pitt.

Olympic Fan
03-22-2016, 03:24 PM

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/03/22/sources-pitt-offers-head-coach-job-to-arizonas-sean-miller/

"Better than 50 percent chance that Miller takes the job."

Gotta admit that this surprises me -- Arizona is a MUCH better job that Pitt. It's the dominant program in the Pac 12 ... Pitt is going to have a hard time cracking the top half of the ACC (although it's possible -- Bennett has done it at Virginia).

Ichabod Drain
03-22-2016, 03:29 PM
According to Sean Miller's Twitter 22 minutes ago he is not interested in the job. Also according to twitter he is nowhere near the state of Pennsylvania.

tbyers11
03-22-2016, 03:30 PM
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/03/22/sources-pitt-offers-head-coach-job-to-arizonas-sean-miller/

"Better than 50 percent chance that Miller takes the job."

Gotta admit that this surprises me -- Arizona is a MUCH better job that Pitt. It's the dominant program in the Pac 12 ... Pitt is going to have a hard time cracking the top half of the ACC (although it's possible -- Bennett has done it at Virginia).

Those Pitt reporters seem to be practicing wishful thinking.

Jeff Goodman has been denying the Sean Miller to Pitt rumors and how Sean Miller himself has denied that he's going
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/712354707147198464

Pitt better move on to Archie now

BD80
03-22-2016, 03:35 PM
Those Pitt reporters seem to be practicing wishful thinking.

Jeff Goodman has been denying the Sean Miller to Pitt rumors and how Sean Miller himself has denied that he's going
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/712354707147198464

Pitt better move on to Archie now

I wonder if that is what has been happening, the news "hounds" just reported the wrong brother.

Olympic Fan
03-22-2016, 03:40 PM
I wonder if that is what has been happening, the news "hounds" just reported the wrong brother.

That certainly makes more sense than the idea that Sean would leave Arizona for Pitt. Archie to Pitt was my first guess anyway.

Although it does remind me of a conversation I had with an NBA guy after Doug Gottlieb's bogus story that Roy was going to step down after this season and would be replaced by Hubert Davis.

The guy told me that it's well know that Sean Miller would be the next coach at UNC.

I could see going from Arizona to UNC ... depending on how big the NBA hammer is when it falls (and I could not see him coming before it falls).

Pghdukie
03-22-2016, 04:13 PM
Bleacher Report now saying Archie Miller is also not interested in Pitt.
Pitt 0-2 already

Merlindevildog91
03-22-2016, 04:15 PM
Pitt 0-2 already

Apparently not going to be Miller time in Iron City.

CameronBornAndBred
03-22-2016, 04:18 PM
Pitt is going to have a hard time cracking the top half of the ACC(although it's possible -- Bennett has done it at Virginia).
Not sure I get the comparison. I've never seen UVA as a bottom feeder. I've never considered them elite (although Bennett has them working that way, no question) but the Hoos are a team that I've always felt is always going to be good. (They had an ugly NCAA absence from 2008-2011, but overall, I've taken them as being top half ACC.)

cato
03-22-2016, 04:20 PM
Interesting that Wyoming, the school of my family, wrapped things up so quickly.

In retrospect, you are probably right. There is less precipitation. The winters are much warmer. The summers are cooler although possibly to the point where people might want warmer ones (not that I understand that concept given that I love summers here where the average high is 65 degrees). Of course it is subject to being too close to the rest of Southern California.

I'm with you, but it's plenty warm out on Montezuma Mesa.

cato
03-22-2016, 04:25 PM
And his agent is doing well after having his stomach pumped

Comments. They must be spread around.

rasputin
03-22-2016, 05:39 PM
Pitt 0-2 already

Did he say he didn't give a @!?# about Pitt?

Henderson
03-22-2016, 05:48 PM

Cheryl Miller, Barney Miller, Dennis Miller, Arthur Miller, Mitch Miller and the Miller from The Canterbury Tales are also uninterested.

timmy c
03-22-2016, 06:25 PM
Cheryl Miller, Barney Miller, Dennis Miller, Arthur Miller, Mitch Miller and the Miller from The Canterbury Tales are also uninterested.

Maybe they could ask Andre Miller. Looks like his NBA career is wrapping up.
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/557/andre-miller

hurleyfor3
03-22-2016, 06:30 PM

What about Johnny Miller? He'd be near his favorite golf course (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_U.S._Open_%28golf%29).

ThrowItAround
03-22-2016, 07:08 PM
Johnny?

cato
03-22-2016, 08:29 PM
I'm with you, but it's plenty warm out on Montezuma Mesa.

SDSU sold 2,000+ tix to NIT game against GaTech in 12 minutes.

FerryFor50
03-22-2016, 10:18 PM
Johnny Dawkins has already landed a new gig - Central Florida.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/712462668305715200

DangerDevil
03-22-2016, 10:38 PM
UCF's new AD is Kevin White's son.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/knights-notepad/os-ucf-basketball-coach-story.html

tbyers11
03-22-2016, 10:43 PM
Johnny Dawkins has already landed a new gig - Central Florida.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/712462668305715200

As someone who drives past the UCF arena on my way to work every day this seems like an odd place for Johnny to end up. A bottom tier AAC team might the best Johnny could do after bottoming out at Stanford but UCF has had maybe 2 "decent" teams in the 10 years I've lived in Orlando and doesn't seem to care about basketball at all.

Then I read Jeff Goodman's next tweet that UCF's new AD (hired last November) is Danny White. No, not the former Cowboy QB, but the son of current Duke AD Dr. Kevin White. It makes some sense now both ways. They do have a nice, new arena (about 5 years old) and hopefully the new AD can place a bigger emphasis on basketball along with football.

Best of luck to Coach Dawkins. I might have to catch a game or two next year.

Nugget
03-23-2016, 02:24 AM

I believe you are thinking of Orlando Antigua?

Would be a bit of a reach

subzero02
03-23-2016, 03:00 AM
I believe you are thinking of Orlando Antigua?

Would be a bit of a reach

Antigua is the head coach at the University of South Florida... he's been there since 2014 and has a record of 16 wins and 45 losses.

jv001
03-23-2016, 08:02 AM
As someone who drives past the UCF arena on my way to work every day this seems like an odd place for Johnny to end up. A bottom tier AAC team might the best Johnny could do after bottoming out at Stanford but UCF has had maybe 2 "decent" teams in the 10 years I've lived in Orlando and doesn't seem to care about basketball at all.

Then I read Jeff Goodman's next tweet that UCF's new AD (hired last November) is Danny White. No, not the former Cowboy QB, but the son of current Duke AD Dr. Kevin White. It makes some sense now both ways. They do have a nice, new arena (about 5 years old) and hopefully the new AD can place a bigger emphasis on basketball along with football.

I'm going to be in the Orlando area this summer. Wonder if JD would like to play 18 holes? :cool: I'm rooting hard for Johnny to get UCF to the top in the AAC. Good luck JD. GoDuke!

CDu
03-23-2016, 08:49 AM

I think it makes sense. Dawkins had Stanford going in the wrong direction, so he wasn't going to get a job at a BCS school. Going to UCF gives him a chance to reboot his career with minimal pressure. If he succeeds then he shakes some of the bad mojo from his Stanford days and could maybe land another BCS gig.

Jeffrey
03-23-2016, 10:45 AM
I think it makes sense. Dawkins had Stanford going in the wrong direction, so he wasn't going to get a job at a BCS school. Going to UCF gives him a chance to reboot his career with minimal pressure. If he succeeds then he shakes some of the bad mojo from his Stanford days and could maybe land another BCS gig.

Agreed. Most people lost track of Snyder and now know where he practices his trade.

wsb3
03-23-2016, 11:54 AM
Comments. They must be spread around.

I did. I had too.:D

Henderson
03-23-2016, 12:49 PM
UCF's new AD is Kevin White's son.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/knights-notepad/os-ucf-basketball-coach-story.html

Doesn't Kevin White also have a son who is a D1 coach in either football or MBB? Maybe at one of the Louisiana schools?

Olympic Fan
03-23-2016, 12:59 PM
Doesn't Kevin White also have a son who is a D1 coach in either football or MBB? Maybe at one of the Louisiana schools?

Mike White WAS the head coach at Louisiana Tech. He's just wrapping up his first season at Florida, where he succeeded Billy Donovan.

duke79
03-23-2016, 02:56 PM
Good for JD (I think)! Never fun to be unemployed, even if you have a lot of money in the bank. I admit I was a little surprised when I first saw the news. I realize it may be hard to get another high-level head coaching job when you have been fired from one high-level program (or relatively high level program like Stanford). I admit I don't know much about UCF but I wonder if JD maybe could not have done better, if he had waited a little longer to see what other positions might open up. Or even wait a year or two, with a high-level assistant position at a top program (whether at Duke, if possible, or not) or in the NBA (a la what Jeff Capal has done). It seems to me to be a fairly long drop down to go from Stanford, arguably the best university in the country and maybe the world, with a high-level athletic program, with enormous financial resources, and playing in one of the best conferences in the country, to a school like UCF (and nothing against UCF). I know he didn't have a great record at Stanford but he wasn't fired for recruiting violations or other chicanery and many people in the college BB world understand that he was plagued by numerous injuries over the years and the difficulty of recruiting top players to a college like Stanford that also played in one of the toughest conferences. I don't believe his career was irretrievably damaged by the firing. I truly hope he succeeds at UCF and is happy there.

Turk
03-23-2016, 03:01 PM

Apparently, Pitt wants: 1) coach w/ successful D1 experience; 2) character guy who can still reach the young'uns; 3) leader who can be "reppin" in the city
The AD has hired an "executive search firm" to help. Oh goody.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt/2016/03/23/Pitt-basketball-coach-search-firm-expertise-secrecy-Jamie-Dixon-Scott-Barnes/stories/201603230088

This article gives a decent recap of the trials and tribulations of trying to coach big-time basketball in a (sometimes) provincial football town:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2016/03/23/Ron-Cook-AD-Scott-Barnes-gives-Pitt-edge-in-coach-search-to-replace-Jamie-Dixon/stories/201603230080

Cook places a bit too much faith in an untested AD, but we'll see...

Henderson
03-23-2016, 03:08 PM
Apparently, Pitt wants: 1) coach w/ successful D1 experience; 2) character guy who can still reach the young'uns; 3) leader who can be "reppin" in the city

No one can judge "reppin in the city" quite like a group of search firm suits from the 43rd Floor of the First Interworld Bank Tower. "I like Coach X. He keeps it really real. In the hood. Dawg." [Followed by awkward high fives].

Turk
03-23-2016, 05:38 PM
No one can judge "reppin in the city" quite like a group of search firm suits from the 43rd Floor of the First Interworld Bank Tower. "I like Coach X. He keeps it really real. In the hood. Dawg." [Followed by awkward high fives].

Well said, sir. Also, I forgot one: 4) someone who can put butts back in seats at the Pete, because people are tired of watching mediocre Big East rockfight basketball anymore.

sagegrouse
03-23-2016, 08:46 PM

T me, this is not news. I believe every AD routinely uses consultants or search firms to keep abreast of the market, including keeping tabs on promising coaches (through their agents or paid representatives).

You will note that such an arrangement -- a search firm or consultant talking to coaches' agents -- enables one to steer clear of charges of "tampering," which occurs if a school or AD directly contacts a coach under contract.

Olympic Fan
03-23-2016, 10:53 PM
Pitt strikes out again -- Ben Howland, who first built the Pitt program before Jamie Dixon, just turned down a return to Pitt, according to ESPN. Howland will stay at Mississippi State.

Turk
03-24-2016, 08:32 AM
Pitt strikes out again -- Ben Howland, who first built the Pitt program before Jamie Dixon, just turned down a return to Pitt, according to ESPN. Howland will stay at Mississippi State.

To me, this is good news, not a strikeout. While Howland established Pitt as a consistent winner, that was a long time ago. His teams specialized in keeping games in the 50's, and I believe Howland's time has passed. I don't think the Pitt boosters would have been happy, and I don't see why Pitt would have had Howland anywhere near the top of their list. (That idea must have come from the search firm.)

Heading back to the "auld sod" this weekend and will keep my ears open for any juicy gossip.

throatybeard
03-24-2016, 08:55 AM

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/12042782_10101373408804554_8526229233899137732_n.j pg?oh=45dfa90ea85948e24c80312ac7b31a80&oe=57853548

elvis14
03-24-2016, 09:42 AM

I read this and all I can think is..."No, you can not have coach Capel, we are keeping him!".

sagegrouse
03-25-2016, 09:24 AM

To me, this is good news, not a strikeout. While Howland established Pitt as a consistent winner, that was a long time ago. His teams specialized in keeping games in the 50's, and I believe Howland's time has passed. I don't think the Pitt boosters would have been happy, and I don't see why Pitt would have had Howland anywhere near the top of their list. (That idea must have come from the search firm.)

Heading back to the "auld sod" this weekend and will keep my ears open for any juicy gossip.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (https://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/college-pitt-basketball-blog/2016/03/24/Coaching-Search-Thursday-News-and-Notes.html) blog by beat writer Paul Zeise is worth a read, not only for the Pitt coaching job but for the overall process and milieu surrounding Division I coaching changes.

Key points:

Sean Miller was never, ever coming to Pitt from Arizona.
Archie Miller, also a Pittsburgh native, left town at age 18 and never looked back. He is doing very well indeed at Dayton and will probably hold out for a really big job.
The supposed turndown by former coach Ben Howland needs to be viewed with a gimlet eye (what the hell does that mean?). Not much enthusiasm on either side and Howland can probably carve out a strong niche in the much weaker SEC -- he's just finishing his first year at Mississippi State.
Long-time assistant and Pitt hero Brandin Knight is clearly on the list and will be given serious consideration. No, the program won't self-destruct if he doesn't get the job.

burnspbesq
03-25-2016, 10:57 AM
ESPN is reporting that Jerod Haase will be the new head coach at Stanford.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15064911/stanford-cardinal-expected-hire-jerod-haase-head-basketball-coach

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-25-2016, 11:00 AM

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15064911/stanford-cardinal-expected-hire-jerod-haase-head-basketball-coach

Jared Hess?

He might catch you a delicious bass, but I'm not sure he will win the Pac-10/12.

sagegrouse
03-25-2016, 11:23 AM

Money quote:

Haase, 41, has been the head coach at UAB the past four seasons. He was 54-46 heading into this season, but the Blazers went 26-7 in 2015-16 and won the Conference USA regular-season title before falling in the conference tournament.

Olympic Fan
03-25-2016, 12:56 PM
My memory of Haase is from the 1993 NCAA Tournament ... he came off the bench for Cal and hit 5 of 6 shots from the floor in 22 minutes to help Cal edge Duke in Rosemont, Ill.

He transferred to Kansas after the season where he played for Roy Williams. He also coached under Ol' Roy at Kansas and UNC.

So Stanford goes from being one of my favorite non-Duke teams to one of my least favorites. That's okay, I can always pull for Arizona State in the Pac 12.

BD80
03-25-2016, 04:51 PM
... He transferred to Kansas after the season where he played for Roy Williams. He also coached under Ol' Roy at Kansas and UNC.

So Stanford goes from being one of my favorite non-Duke teams to one of my least favorites. That's okay, I can always pull for Arizona State in the Pac 12.

With ol' roy as his mentor, how in the name of all that is holy (you pick), will he be able to field a team that can handle the academic requirements at Stanford.

Poor Jerod, I can envision early meetings with academic supervisors for the team:

"Classes? What are you talking about? These are BASKETBALL players! They don't take classes. At least not in my experience. I better call ol' roy"

Atlanta Duke
03-25-2016, 05:03 PM
Pitt has some new competition for anyone who wants to coach in the ACC

Georgia Tech coach Brian Gregory will not be be retained for a sixth season. The school made the announcement in a news release Friday afternoon.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/brian-gregory-fired-after-five-seasons/nqsPt/

sagegrouse
03-25-2016, 05:14 PM
Pitt has some new competition for anyone who wants to coach in the ACC

Georgia Tech coach Brian Gregory will not be be retained for a sixth season. The school made the announcement in a news release Friday afternoon.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/brian-gregory-fired-after-five-seasons/nqsPt/

I understand the move, but I am sorry for Coach Gregory -- he seemed like a really good guy.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-25-2016, 05:18 PM
Here is an interesting one with something of a Duke connection.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15067309/former-nba-coach-mike-dunleavy-sr-leading-candidate-tulane-green-wave

flyingdutchdevil
03-25-2016, 05:22 PM
Here is an interesting one with something of a Duke connection.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15067309/former-nba-coach-mike-dunleavy-sr-leading-candidate-tulane-green-wave

Ouch. Nobody wanted Dunleavy Sr after his not-so-successful Clippers stint?

OldPhiKap
03-25-2016, 05:28 PM
I understand the move, but I am sorry for Coach Gregory -- he seemed like a really good guy.

I liked Gregory since he was at Dayton. Sorry to see this did not work out.

I have said this before -- having lived in Atlanta in my early-to-mid '20's, I cannot see why GT is not killing it with recruits. I know it is a difficult academic school, but what kid would not want to live in the ATL?

Atlanta Duke
03-25-2016, 06:52 PM
I liked Gregory since he was at Dayton. Sorry to see this did not work out.

I have said this before -- having lived in Atlanta in my early-to-mid '20's, I cannot see why GT is not killing it with recruits. I know it is a difficult academic school, but what kid would not want to live in the ATL?

Agreed about the mystery of why Tech cannot recruit, not only for the joys a young man can experience in Atlanta but because of Georgia having some good talent. As far as academics go, K and Tony Bennett have figured it out without having to set up an infrastructure to perpetuate academic fraud. And unlike football, UGA basketball is not a magnet that makes recruiting someone to Tech particularly difficult. Bobby Cremins certainly did it well for a long time.

But Tech apparently is still paying off the insane contract it gave Paul Hewitt after Tech thought Hewitt was the next great coach following the 2004 run and now can finish buying out Gregory's contract. Jeff Schultz of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution thinks cash on hand to attract a notable hire might be an issue.

http://jeffschultz.blog.myajc.com/2016/03/25/nothing-gregory-did-this-season-was-going-to-be-enough-to-save-his-job/

Pghdukie
03-25-2016, 08:12 PM
Dunleavy to Tulane.

OldPhiKap
03-25-2016, 10:26 PM
Agreed about the mystery of why Tech cannot recruit, not only for the joys a young man can experience in Atlanta but because of Georgia having some good talent. As far as academics go, K and Tony Bennett have figured it out without having to set up an infrastructure to perpetuate academic fraud. And unlike football, UGA basketball is not a magnet that makes recruiting someone to Tech particularly difficult. Bobby Cremins certainly did it well for a long time.

But Tech apparently is still paying off the insane contract it gave Paul Hewitt after Tech thought Hewitt was the next great coach following the 2004 run and now can finish buying out Gregory's contract. Jeff Schultz of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution thinks cash on hand to attract a notable hire might be an issue.

http://jeffschultz.blog.myajc.com/2016/03/25/nothing-gregory-did-this-season-was-going-to-be-enough-to-save-his-job/

Besides the criminal contract they had with Hewitt, they had football coach buyout problems too. AND most GT alum I know hate Paul Johnson tool he wins just enough (or pulls out a miracle game) to limp along.

Pghdukie
03-27-2016, 10:00 AM
Pitt has hired Stallings from Vandy

BD80
03-27-2016, 10:49 AM

Age 55. I hope he brings with him the "coach of the future:" a young up-and-coming assistant that kills it on the recruiting trail. You know, like Jeff Capel.

I remembered he was a Keady disciple at Purdue, didn't realize he was an assistant for ol' roy at KU.

rtnorthrup
03-27-2016, 11:10 AM

Great move -- for Vandy.

Doesn't make much sense to me from a Pitt perspective though.

DangerDevil
03-27-2016, 11:19 AM
Great move -- for Vandy.

Yep, happy I'm not a Pitt fan. Good knews for the rest of us ACC fans.

DeCourcy sums up my confusion about hiring Stallings:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball-news/4699921-kevin-stallings-pittsburgh-hire-jamie-dixon-coach-record

I don't think Pitt is a great job but can't imagine the pickins were that slim.

If the Pitt fan base was tired of Dixon's lack of success, how excited can they be about Stallings' even weaker track record from the weaker SEC???

I saw in another article that Gregory's firing at GT sped up Pitt's timeline. I think they rushed into a bad hire.

Atlanta Duke
03-27-2016, 12:10 PM
Puzzling hire - replace a long time coach in his 50s for a program slipping for several years with a long time coach in his 50s for a program slipping for several years

I guess it never hurts to have a relationship with those involved in the search - this from ESPN

Vanderbilt was expected to sever ties with Stallings, but he was able to get another job before a decision was made about his future with the help of Todd Turner -- the former Vandy athletic director who hired him. Turner now runs a search firm called Collegiate Sports Associates that has been retained by Pittsburgh to help with the search.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15077267/vanderbilt-commodores-coach-kevin-stallings-agrees-deal-pittsburgh-panthers-replace-jamie-dixon

Olympic Fan
03-27-2016, 01:05 PM
I will be interested to see how the hiring of Stallings will impact Shelden Jeter -- the rising senior forward left Vandy to get away to Stallings and transferred to Pitt ... only to have Stallings follow him for his senior year.

I actually have more respect for Stallings than most of you. I think he's a heck of a coach ... his problem has always been his inability to recruit.

That means if he can win and hold the players he will inherit at Pitt -- Artis, Young, Luther, Johnson, Jeter and company -- he has a chance to coach up a very good team next year.

Long term, I would agree that he's not all that exciting a hire. But it COULD really help Pitt next season.

On the other hand, there could be a mass exodus of Pitt players in response to the new hire. Subtract two or three of those top guys and the hire will be disastrous.

YmoBeThere
03-27-2016, 04:08 PM
Great move -- for Vandy.

I'm one of the frustrated Vandy fan base(grad school). While there were concerns about Stallings, there have been many situations that have shown you can go down as well as up. See Vandy football...

As has been noted, Pitt may not be a prime job, but it isn't like you can call Vandy one. Never been to a Final Four, no real basketball history.

Maybe they can bring back Billy and Will?

Forrest
03-27-2016, 05:13 PM
I'm one of the frustrated Vandy fan base(grad school). While there were concerns about Stallings, there have been many situations that have shown you can go down as well as up. See Vandy football...

As has been noted, Pitt may not be a prime job, but it isn't like you can call Vandy one. Never been to a Final Four, no real basketball history.

Another frustrated Vandy fan (undergrad) here. Stallings' recruiting has been uneven in recent years, but the concerns in Nashville had more to do with this year's lackluster performance despite having pretty good talent. All five starters had considerably more talent than recruiting ratings would have predicted, including potential first-rounders Jones and Baldwin. Still, the Dores actually played worse as the season went on, culminating in embarrassing losses to Tennessee and Wichita State.

I think Vanderbilt is a better-than-average head coaching job (unlike football, obviously) in a league with only one traditionally strong basketball program. Maybe Vandy will never make a Final Four, but a 5/6/7 seed in the NCAA tourney and an occasional Sweet Sixteen appearance is not unreasonable. There are probably lots of young, ambitious coaches who would give it a try.

Turk
03-27-2016, 06:34 PM

"How about this guy Kevin Stallings? I hired him at my last job and it worked out great. His team even made the NCAAT this year. The kids in the Oakland Zoo will love him - they'll bring big cutout heads of Kevin from 'The Office'!"

This hire has "retread" written all over it; this looks like an awkward fit all the way around. Stallings is the only winner here: he gets a change of scenery, an upgrade in program, conference, and gym (I still can't get used to how weird Vandy's gym is even after seeing it all these years on TV), and a six year contract. Stallings better start making friends early, because he is at risk of starting off on the wrong foot with the boosters and the players. Safe to say returning senior Shelden Jeter is not on board:

https://twitter.com/JonBlaze_21/status/713922819416043520/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Both Dixon and the players were lobbying hard for Brandin Knight, Dixon's lead assistant for several years and one of the best players in Pitt history. I wonder if Stallings will let any of them transfer if they feel like they want to play somewhere else.

The names that have been mentioned as being on the interview list were Bryce Drew from Valpo, Mike Lonergan from GW, and Andy Enfield from USC. (Enfield seemed farfetched from the beginning; even though he's from Shippensburg, he's not leaving Dunk City, FL or Southern Cal to come back to Pennsylvania. He's just not). All those guys would be great at GaTech.

Not a good day for Pitt basketball.

BD80
03-27-2016, 06:49 PM
[QUOTE=Turk;873328... The names that have been mentioned as being on the interview list were Bryce Drew from Valpo, Mike Lonergan from GW, and Andy Enfield from USC. ...[/QUOTE]

The Oakland Zoo would have appreciated Mrs Enfield ...

Turk
03-28-2016, 11:46 AM
The Oakland Zoo would have appreciated Mrs Enfield ...

Don't we all? The TV networks certainly do; they gave her as much camera time as Kris Dunn in the USC / Providence game. But alas, that helps to prove my point - there's no way a lady of her charm and talent was ever going to be spending her winters in Pittsburgh.

Now the ATL is a whole 'nother story... Let's see what Tech does; my guess is they wait until the NIT is done.

Pghdukie
03-28-2016, 12:37 PM
Stallings off to a good start. Highest rated recruit, Kithcart, has de-committed from Pitt

Pghdukie
03-28-2016, 12:49 PM
Kithcart is a 4*. Now, 3* recruit Mangault also de-committed from the sinking ship. Will Jeter be next ?

OldPhiKap
03-28-2016, 12:51 PM
Stallings off to a good start. Highest rated recruit, Kithcart, has de-committed from Pitt

Kithcart is a 4*. Now, 3* recruit Mangault also de-committed from the sinking ship. Will Jeter be next ?

Sometimes you clean house.

Sometimes the house cleans you.

Henderson
03-28-2016, 01:15 PM
UNLV has come to a tentative agreement with UALR coach, Chris Beard. They passed over a couple of internal candidates, including Stacey Augmon, a UNLV assistant. People in the Augmon camp aren't going to be happy. They weren't happy the last time Augmon was passed over, and there was a good bit of local swell in his direction.

sagegrouse
03-28-2016, 01:18 PM
UNLV has come to a tentative agreement with UALR coach, Chris Beard. They passed over a couple of internal candidates, including Stacey Augmon, a UNLV assistant. People in the Augmon camp aren't going to be happy. They weren't happy the last time Augmon was passed over, and there was a good bit of local swell in his direction.

Let's see, Mr. Augmon..... Your boss gets canned for not winning, and you really expected to get promoted to the head coach position?

Henderson
03-28-2016, 01:21 PM
Let's see, Mr. Augmon... Your boss gets canned for not winning, and you really expected to get promoted to the head coach position?

Well, there are a lot of situations where that happens. But yeah, I have to think that there is a reason he wasn't in the mix. I don't know that it is.

Pghdukie
03-29-2016, 06:52 PM
Pitt just had a clean sweep. Their last recruit, Crisshawn Clark just de-committed.

OldPhiKap
03-29-2016, 07:06 PM
Pitt just had a clean sweep. Their last recruit, Crisshawn Clark just de-committed.

And yet, the AD who made the hire remains.

DU82
03-29-2016, 08:15 PM
Old friend Herb Sendek has landed at Santa Clara.

throatybeard
03-29-2016, 11:28 PM
SLU has hired Travis Ford to replace Jim Crews.

Yeah, no, no. No, I don't know why.

YmoBeThere
03-30-2016, 06:22 AM

They want to come close but ultimately fall short of their mark?

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-30-2016, 07:00 AM

Because Richie Farmer was still "unavailable."

BD80
04-04-2016, 01:36 PM
Contrary to other posts, Bryce Drew is NOT going to Ga Tech, choosing Vandy instead:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25541530/valparaisos-bryce-drew-agrees-to-become-next-coach-at-Vanderbilt

Who else thought Vandy was a better job than Ga Tech?

OldPhiKap
04-04-2016, 01:40 PM
Who else thought Vandy was a better job than Ga Tech?

Certainly not your truly.

luburch
04-04-2016, 01:46 PM

Evan Daniels from Scout tweeted that many coaches have expressed to him that the GT job is not desirable.

sagegrouse
04-04-2016, 02:10 PM

IMHO (where the H is silent -- and missing) the only time an open Georgia Tech coaching position was a top-tier or nearly top-tier job was when Bobby Cremins left in 2000, and he had not made the NCAA tournament in the previous four years, despite a very strong string of years from 1984-1996. Cremins made something out of nothing. His successor, Paul Hewitt has some good years, but his best ACC finish was tied for third in the same year (2004) he made the Final Four and was National Runner-Up.

Troublemaker
04-04-2016, 02:30 PM
GaTech fans are very, very angry that they lost out to Vandy on Drew. They're calling for the AD to get fired.

GTSwarm forum thread (https://gtswarm.com/threads/the-search.9402/page-49).

Here's what the owner of the Rivals GT site is tweeting. He could have his own biases since his site called Drew-to-GaTech

Kelly Quinlan ‏@Kelly_Quinlan (https://twitter.com/Kelly_Quinlan) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/Kelly_Quinlan/status/717024548546351104)
Kelly Quinlan Retweeted Shane Hix
You might be seeing the end of the AD here if this goes South on him.

Kelly Quinlan ‏@Kelly_Quinlan (https://twitter.com/Kelly_Quinlan) 52m52 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/Kelly_Quinlan/status/717042649262370816)
Kelly Quinlan Retweeted Matthew Myers
GT didn't close the deal when they should have (signed), Vandy got turned down by their #1 and 2 and there you go.

Kelly Quinlan ‏@Kelly_Quinlan (https://twitter.com/Kelly_Quinlan) 50m50 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/Kelly_Quinlan/status/717043373618634752)
Correct, Capel didn't hear from GT for a period of time and pulled his name because he thought Drew was getting it.

Kelly Quinlan ‏@Kelly_Quinlan (https://twitter.com/Kelly_Quinlan) 42m42 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/Kelly_Quinlan/status/717045732130353152)
#GaTech (https://twitter.com/hashtag/GaTech?src=hash) does the most GT thing and bungles the search for a new men's basketball coach.

Atlanta Duke
04-04-2016, 02:41 PM

As discussed earlier in the thread, $$$ at Georgia Tech may be an issue

The Tech reporter for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution posted this before Drew going to Vandy was announced

I’m going to guess Vanderbilt can offer more money than Tech could – possibly a lot more – and the route to the top might be more navigable there than at Tech.

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2016/04/03/is-tech-search-moving-on/

With regard to the route to the top being more navigable in the SEC , maybe to the floor just below the top floor

sagegrouse
04-04-2016, 02:53 PM
GaTech fans are very, very angry that they lost out to Vandy on Drew. They're calling for the AD to get fired.

GTSwarm forum thread (https://gtswarm.com/threads/the-search.9402/page-49).

Here's what the owner of the Rivals GT site is tweeting. He could have his own biases since his site called Drew-to-GaTech

Kelly Quinlan ‏@Kelly_Quinlan (https://twitter.com/Kelly_Quinlan) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/Kelly_Quinlan/status/717024548546351104)
Kelly Quinlan Retweeted Shane Hix
You might be seeing the end of the AD here if this goes South on him.

Kelly Quinlan ‏@Kelly_Quinlan (https://twitter.com/Kelly_Quinlan) 52m52 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/Kelly_Quinlan/status/717042649262370816)
GT didn't close the deal when they should have (signed), Vandy got turned down by their #1 and 2 and there you go.

Kelly Quinlan ‏@Kelly_Quinlan (https://twitter.com/Kelly_Quinlan) 50m50 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/Kelly_Quinlan/status/717043373618634752)
Correct, Capel didn't hear from GT for a period of time and pulled his name because he thought Drew was getting it.

Kelly Quinlan ‏@Kelly_Quinlan (https://twitter.com/Kelly_Quinlan) 42m42 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/Kelly_Quinlan/status/717045732130353152)
#GaTech (https://twitter.com/hashtag/GaTech?src=hash) does the most GT thing and bungles the search for a new men's basketball coach.

Hey, Kelly Quinlan, calm down! You may be right but it reads like you are foaming at the mouth.

jjasper0729
04-12-2016, 12:18 PM
Lutz leaving Gottfried for Pastner (https://accsports.com/acc-news/acc-buzz/report-nc-state-loses-lutz-georgia-tech/)

Could have some implications in Raleigh down the road if the Pack continues to reside in the middle...

also could be the piece that Mike Decourcy (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball-news/4701284-josh-pastner-georgia-tech-hire-coach-memphis-yellow-jackets-tigers) thinks he needs.

Olympic Fan
04-12-2016, 03:05 PM
Lutz leaving Gottfried for Pastner (https://accsports.com/acc-news/acc-buzz/report-nc-state-loses-lutz-georgia-tech/)

Could have some implications in Raleigh down the road if the Pack continues to reside in the middle...

also could be the piece that Mike Decourcy (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball-news/4701284-josh-pastner-georgia-tech-hire-coach-memphis-yellow-jackets-tigers) thinks he needs.

I think this is a HUGE addition for Pastner and Georgia Tech.

Pastner has always been a very strong recruiter, but his game management has been questioned (rightly IMHO).

Lutz is a superb x and o's guy, whose forte is game planning and game management.

I know there are other issues with Pastner, but this fills a big gap in his staff -- if Pastner gets his recruiting going, then Tech might be tough to deal with.

Not sure how much it hurts Goffried at State -- we'll see who replaces Lutz (Joe Dooley?)

jjasper0729
04-12-2016, 09:21 PM
I think this is a HUGE addition for Pastner and Georgia Tech.

Pastner has always been a very strong recruiter, but his game management has been questioned (rightly IMHO).

Lutz is a superb x and o's guy, whose forte is game planning and game management.

I know there are other issues with Pastner, but this fills a big gap in his staff -- if Pastner gets his recruiting going, then Tech might be tough to deal with.

Not sure how much it hurts Goffried at State -- we'll see who replaces Lutz (Joe Dooley?)

Now the job change is different

Special assistant at NCSU? (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/bobby-lutz-named-special-assistant-to-deputy-athletic-director-/15638134/)

superdave
04-13-2016, 08:54 AM
Now the job change is different

Special assistant at NCSU? (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/bobby-lutz-named-special-assistant-to-deputy-athletic-director-/15638134/)

A State fan was explaining to me last night that Gottfried saw an opportunity to upgrade over Lutz and chased the FGCU coach Joe Dooley once Lutz was flirting with Pastner. When that fell apart, the school offered Lutz another position so he could get to 30 years of service with the state for retirement purposes.

Seems plausible. Also seems like Gottfried will be on the hot seat next year.

elvis14
04-13-2016, 09:14 AM
Also seems like Gottfried will be on the hot seat next year.

I was surprised that Gottfried wasn't on the hot seat THIS year. That NCSU team had too much talent to play as poorly as they did. I thought he did a lousy job this year. You give Coach K that team (assuming he would have had the upperclass players for a few years) and there's no way they at the bottom of the ACC and not playing in the post season.

superdave
04-13-2016, 09:39 AM
I was surprised that Gottfried wasn't on the hot seat THIS year. That NCSU team had too much talent to play as poorly as they did. I thought he did a lousy job this year. You give Coach K that team (assuming he would have had the upperclass players for a few years) and there's no way they at the bottom of the ACC and not playing in the post season.

State fans seem to like Gottfried a lot. But the transfers out after this season ended really got everyone's attention.

freshmanjs
04-13-2016, 09:49 AM

He's gotten 4 tournament bids in his 5 seasons. 2 Sweet 16s. 4 20+win seasons. What more do they want? In the loaded ACC, it is going to be hard to see any coach they could get doing much better.

elvis14
04-13-2016, 10:14 AM
He's gotten 4 tournament bids in his 5 seasons. 2 Sweet 16s. 4 20+win seasons. What more do they want? In the loaded ACC, it is going to be hard to see any coach they could get doing much better.

Good points, I wasn't sure of the track records. I was mostly just commenting on this past season where I thought his team really underperformed. Reading your post I obviously see why he wasn't on the hot seat this season. Thanks.

OldPhiKap
04-13-2016, 11:07 AM
Has Cat indicated whether he is returning?

BigWayne
04-13-2016, 11:12 AM
He is doing the new NBA look see policy before he decides.

tbyers11
04-13-2016, 11:24 AM

He is doing the new NBA look see policy before he decides.

Cat Barber is fully gone to the NBA. Not coming back.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article67648292.html

OldPhiKap
04-13-2016, 11:33 AM
Cat Barber is fully gone to the NBA. Not coming back.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article67648292.html

Thanks. That's too bad but I cannot blame him. He was fun to watch.

Olympic Fan
04-14-2016, 03:23 PM
Tubby Smith just signed a five-year deal to replace Pastner at Memphis.

This breaks my heart -- I'd have MUCH rather seen Tubby at Georgia tech (or Pitt) than the dopes they ended up with.

luburch
04-14-2016, 03:27 PM
Tubby Smith just signed a five-year deal to replace Pastner at Memphis.

This breaks my heart -- I'd have MUCH rather seen Tubby at Georgia tech (or Pitt) than the dopes they ended up with.

Never understood why Minnesota fired Tubby in the first place. I think he'll do well at Memphis, after all he got Texas Tech into the tournament.

Henderson
04-15-2016, 01:32 PM
Things are just getting weirder at UNLV. Rice was fired in January, replaced by an interim, who was replaced by Chris Beard last week.

Now Beard is likely to take the Texas Tech job that Tubby vacated to fill the job Pastner vacated. http://www.reviewjournal.com/opinion/columns-blogs/ed-graney/time-it-s-not-unlv-s-fault-if-chris-beard-leaves-texas-tech

All this after the fans' favorite, Stacey Augmon, has been passed over twice.

If Beard leaves, UNLV will have its fourth head coach since 1/10/16.

Who wouldn't want that job?

Indoor66
04-15-2016, 01:40 PM
Things are just getting weirder at UNLV. Rice was fired in January, replaced by an interim, who was replaced by Chris Beard last week.

Now Beard is likely to take the Texas Tech job that Tubby vacated to fill the job Pastner vacated. http://www.reviewjournal.com/opinion/columns-blogs/ed-graney/time-it-s-not-unlv-s-fault-if-chris-beard-leaves-texas-tech

At the rate they are going through coaches, we will soon know the answer, won't we.

Tripping William
04-15-2016, 03:15 PM

At the rate they are going through coaches, we will soon know the answer, won't we.

The answer may well be (of all people) George Karl (http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/04/15/unlv-george-karl-chris-beard-sacramento-kings?xid=si_social).

kAzE
04-15-2016, 03:21 PM
Tubby: Kentucky to Minnesota
Billy G: Texas A&M to Kentucky
Cal: Memphis to Kentucky
Billy G: Kentucky to Texas Tech
Tubby: Minnesota to Texas Tech
Tubby: Texas Tech to Memphis
Billy G: Ranger Community College. Sadface :(

The Circle of Life is complete.

Henderson
04-15-2016, 04:39 PM
The answer may well be (of all people) George Karl (http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/04/15/unlv-george-karl-chris-beard-sacramento-kings?xid=si_social).

I wonder if he knows that in college you have to recruit players rather than just draft them. Surely he does, but it'd be a prudent question to ask a guy with no college coaching experience. You know, just to make sure.

BigWayne
04-15-2016, 05:59 PM

Beard apparently wasn't done with his carousel ride yet. Apparently his three daughters and his ex-wife are in San Antonio, which is an attraction for him to go Texas.

Did you see that Pastner doesn't want any assistants that play golf? (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15211210/josh-pastner-georgia-tech-yellow-jackets-coach-says-hire-assistant-coaches-golf)

BD80
04-15-2016, 06:32 PM
Beard apparently wasn't done with his carousel ride yet. Apparently his three daughters and his ex-wife are in San Antonio, which is an attraction for him to go Texas.

Did you see that Pastner doesn't want any assistants that play golf? (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15211210/josh-pastner-georgia-tech-yellow-jackets-coach-says-hire-assistant-coaches-golf)

Beard's ex-wife in Texas is an attraction for him to go to Texas. Because of liberal gun-laws and lenient juries?

So ol' roy won't be signing on with Pastner any time soon.

OldPhiKap
04-15-2016, 06:40 PM
I hope UNC's next coach is a survivor of the Haitian earthquake. Only they can understand.

brevity
04-15-2016, 07:40 PM
Beard's ex-wife in Texas is an attraction for him to go to Texas. Because of liberal gun-laws and lenient juries?

Add a dog and a harmonica and you've got a country song.

I wonder if Tubby Smith has multiple divorces. That would explain his move to Memphis.

BigWayne
04-15-2016, 08:54 PM

So ol' roy won't be signing on with Pastner any time soon.
Well, the daughters anyway. I saw the daughters mentioned in the article and no mention of the wife, so I had to google it up. It's always curious when they leave something out. Took about 2 or 3 minutes to figure out that the reason was because he is divorced and she has remarried a lawyer in San Antonio.

Beard grew up in Texas and went to college there. It's a lot more familiar to him than Vegas.

Olympic Fan
04-15-2016, 08:58 PM
Beard's quick jump is unusual, but it's not all that rare.

Adolph Rupp accepted the Duke head coaching job in 1973, but change his mind before he could be introduced.

And Red Auerbach accepted an assistant's job at Duke in the summer of 1950 but changed his mind and took an NBA job (the Celtics) before the season started.

Bobby Cremins was introduced as the new head coach at South Carolina ... then returned to Georgia Tech.

Larry Brown was the head coach at Davidson for about a week.

Billy Donovan jumped to the NBA (I forget, the Magic?) for about 48 hours ... then returned to Florida.

And we just saw Bobby Lutz take an assistant's job at Georgia Tech, then return to NC State (not as an assistant, but as an administrator).

Maybe Lutz found out about the golf ban!

YmoBeThere
04-15-2016, 09:26 PM
Lubbock is 6 hours by car from San Antonio so it isn't exactly convenient unless one has access to private air transport.

gumbomoop
04-15-2016, 09:32 PM

Add a dog and a harmonica and you've got a country song.

The great John Shelton Reed has this covered with his all-purpose title, "My Tears Spoiled My Aim."

lotusland
04-15-2016, 10:38 PM
Beard's quick jump is unusual, but it's not all that rare.

Adolph Rupp accepted the Duke head coaching job in 1973, but change his mind before he could be introduced.

And Red Auerbach accepted an assistant's job at Duke in the summer of 1950 but changed his mind and took an NBA job (the Celtics) before the season started.

Bobby Cremins was introduced as the new head coach at South Carolina ... then returned to Georgia Tech.

Larry Brown was the head coach at Davidson for about a week.

Billy Donovan jumped to the NBA (I forget, the Magic?) for about 48 hours ... then returned to Florida.ed

And we just saw Bobby Lutz take an assistant's job at Georgia Tech, then return to NC State (not as an assistant, but as an administrator).

Maybe Lutz found out about the golf ban!
Greg Marshall was announced as The College of Charledton's new coach but backed out and returned to Winthrop.

OldPhiKap
04-15-2016, 10:57 PM
Greg Marshall was announced as The College of Charleston's new coach but backed out and returned to Winthrop.

To be fair, there's a big difference between the College of Knowledge in Carleston and the U of No Classes in Chappa Hiya.

Henderson
04-15-2016, 11:03 PM
Lubbock is 6 hours by car from San Antonio so it isn't exactly convenient unless one has access to private air transport.

Yeah, but Lubbock has the National Ranching Heritage Center and is less than three hours from Abilene. For when a fellow wants to get a little crazy or absorb some culture.

YmoBeThere
04-15-2016, 11:34 PM
less than three hours from Abilene.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abilene_paradox

Jim3k
04-16-2016, 12:30 AM
Add Janis and a harmonica and you've got a country song.

I pulled my harpoon out of my dirty red bandanna
I was playin' soft while Bobby sang the blues, yeah

FIFY

Indoor66
04-16-2016, 07:41 AM
Yeah, but Lubbock has the National Ranching Heritage Center and is less than three hours from Abilene. For when a fellow wants to get a little crazy or absorb some culture.

But, it's the Prettiest Town I've Ever Seen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3RF3nbreBE).

OldPhiKap
04-16-2016, 07:56 AM
If I had a gun
For every ace I've drawn,
I could arm a town
The size of Abilene . . . .

Tripping William
04-16-2016, 08:57 AM
Josh Pastner is brilliant. He takes a job in Bobby Jones's hometown -- at his alma mater, even -- and his first order of business (well, maybe second order, after axing all of his predecessor's assistants) is to insult golf (http://www.golfdigest.com/story/georgia-tech-coach-josh-pastner-assistants-cant-play-golf). That'll sure get him in donors' good graces. Matt Kuchar is undoubtedly doing cartwheels.

tbyers11
04-16-2016, 09:18 AM
Josh Pastner is brilliant. He takes a job in Bobby Jones's hometown -- at his alma mater, even -- and his first order of business (well, maybe second order, after axing all of his predecessor's assistants) is to insult golf (http://www.golfdigest.com/story/georgia-tech-coach-josh-pastner-assistants-cant-play-golf). That'll sure get him in donors' good graces. Matt Kuchar is undoubtedly doing cartwheels.

Stewart Cink probably ain't too happy either. Especially since he hit the best shot of the year (http://www.pgatour.com/news/2016/02/03/stewart-cink-putt.html) at any GT game.

BD80
04-16-2016, 03:18 PM
Stewart Cink probably ain't too happy either. Especially since he hit the best shot of the year (http://www.pgatour.com/news/2016/02/03/stewart-cink-putt.html) at any GT game.

Unfortunately, the putting surface is a little faster at Augusta.

sagegrouse
04-16-2016, 04:59 PM

Didn't know this about Bobby Jones -- he apparently hit the books -- HARD!

Jones was highly successful outside of golf as well. He earned his B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Georgia Tech in 1922 and played for the varsity golf team, lettering all four years.... He then earned an A.B. in English Literature from Harvard College in 1924.... In 1926 he entered Emory University School of Law.... After only three semesters he passed the Georgia bar exam and subsequently joined his father's law firm, Jones, Evins, Moore and Powell, (predecessor to Alston & Bird), in Atlanta, Georgia .

Henderson
04-16-2016, 05:06 PM

Well we know now that Marvin Menzies of New Mexico is moving over to UNLV. He replaces Chris Beard, who lasted one week as head coach for Vegas.

So I'm pretty sure UNLV is done. Now, who wants the New Mexico job? UNM used to be a very tough away arena.

Indoor66
04-16-2016, 05:07 PM
Well we know now that Marvin Menzies of New Mexico is moving over to UNLV. He replaces Chris Beard, who lasted one week as head coach.

So I'm pretty sure UNLV is done. Now, who wants the New Mexico job? It used to be a very tough away arena.

Maybe someone from N.C. State?

sagegrouse
04-16-2016, 05:23 PM
Well we know now that Marvin Menzies of New Mexico is moving over to UNLV. He replaces Chris Beard, who lasted one week as head coach for Vegas.

So I'm pretty sure UNLV is done. Now, who wants the New Mexico job? UNM used to be a very tough away arena.

NM State, which is down in Las Cruces.

diablesseblu
04-16-2016, 05:23 PM

Mr. Menzies is leaving New Mexico State to go to UNLV.

BD80
04-16-2016, 05:34 PM
Didn't know this about Bobby Jones -- he apparently hit the books -- HARD!

Jones was highly successful outside of golf as well. He earned his B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Georgia Tech in 1922 and played for the varsity golf team, lettering all four years... He then earned an A.B. in English Literature from Harvard College in 1924... In 1926 he entered Emory University School of Law... After only three semesters he passed the Georgia bar exam and subsequently joined his father's law firm, Jones, Evins, Moore and Powell, (predecessor to Alston & Bird), in Atlanta, Georgia .

No wonder Pastner doesn't want assistants who golf. Look how it gets in the way of the important things in life!

Henderson
04-16-2016, 06:06 PM
Mr. Menzies is leaving New Mexico State to go to UNLV.

Hokie smokes, I need to stop skimming and start reading. Thanks for the catch.

MartyClark
04-16-2016, 06:09 PM
Greg Marshall was announced as The College of Charledton's new coach but backed out and returned to Winthrop.

I agree that there is precedent but it just doesn't seem honorable. If I took another job there would be no fanfare or publicity. If I reneged on it for a better offer there wouldn't be any adverse consequences for the employer I briefly worked for. Nevertheless, I probably wouldn't do what this guy did.

I know that I sound old school or maybe antiquated. Even in college sports, I think that your word should mean something. I can't imagine K or anyone in his coaching tree doing this.

-jk
04-16-2016, 06:56 PM
I agree that there is precedent but it just doesn't seem honorable. If I took another job there would be no fanfare or publicity. If I reneged on it for a better offer there wouldn't be any adverse consequences for the employer I briefly worked for. Nevertheless, I probably wouldn't do what this guy did.

I know that I sound old school or maybe antiquated. Even in college sports, I think that your word should mean something. I can't imagine K or anyone in his coaching tree doing this.

Sometimes, I think you show up, poke around a little, and run away as fast as you can. (c.f., Cremins.)

-jk

brevity
04-25-2016, 09:18 AM
Maybe start up the carousel again. The Lakers fired Byron Scott, and Mitch Kupchak is casting a wide net.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15317976/los-angeles-lakers-byron-scott-another-franchise-worst

The Lakers are compiling a long wish list of coaching candidates for their search. Among the candidates the Lakers will look at are Luke Walton, Kevin Ollie, Jay Wright, Roy Williams, Tom Izzo, John Calipari, Ettore Messina, Jeff Van Gundy and David Blatt, sources told Shelburne. According to ESPN's Brian Windhorst, Jeff Hornacek is also expected to be on the Lakers' list.

The keys are in the getaway bus, Roy. Make sure your former players are lying down on the exit route.

tbyers11
04-25-2016, 09:28 AM
Maybe start up the carousel again. The Lakers fired Byron Scott, and Mitch Kupchak is casting a wide net.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15317976/los-angeles-lakers-byron-scott-another-franchise-worst

The keys are in the getaway bus, Roy. Make sure your former players are lying down on the exit route.

Although Wheat and other UNC partisans will disagree, I think Roy Williams name being mentioned whenever the Lakers job opens is either Mitch Kupchak floating Roy's name as a favor to his UNC "brother" or someone in the press making that connection without really considering it. Maybe shortly after the 2009 championship Roy was hot enough and YOUNG enough to want to make the leap to the NBA. I just don't see the Lakers wanting him (Kupchak's job is really on the line now) or, even more importantly, Roy wanting the job at this time.

OldPhiKap
04-25-2016, 09:29 AM
Although Wheat and other UNC partisans will disagree, I think Roy Williams name being mentioned whenever the Lakers job opens is either Mitch Kupchak floating Roy's name as a favor to his UNC "brother" or someone in the press making that connection without really considering it. Maybe shortly after the 2009 championship Roy was hot enough and YOUNG enough to want to make the leap to the NBA. I just don't see the Lakers wanting him (Kupchak's job is really on the line now) or even more importantly Roy wanting the job at this time.

My feelings as well. Roy's next stop is the golf course on the shore. Perhaps hastened by the ANOA.

Reddevil
04-25-2016, 10:30 AM
My feelings as well. Roy's next stop is the golf course on the shore. Perhaps hastened by the ANOA.

Can he please take some GT assistants with him and be the gift that keeps giving!?

SoCalDukeFan
04-25-2016, 11:09 AM

While I would be surprised if Roy goes to the Lakers I would not be surprised to see them hire a college coach. The so-called core of the team is college age players. Free agency may change that.

The real interesting thing for the Lakers is that they need to improve soon or Jim Buss must step aside and let his sister take over.

SoCal

flyingdutchdevil
04-25-2016, 03:06 PM
While I would be surprised if Roy goes to the Lakers I would not be surprised to see them hire a college coach. The so-called core of the team is college age players. Free agency may change that.

The real interesting thing for the Lakers is that they need to improve soon or Jim Buss must step aside and let his sister take over.

SoCal

If the Lakers get a top two pick, they have a really intriguing future:

-D'Angelo Russell (tons of potential but made the dumbest rookie mistake of the year)
-Jordan Clarkson (good PG but nowhere near elite)
-Julius Randle (excellent rebounder but only a mediocre scorer)
-Ben Simmons/Brandon Ingram (the next star for the Lakers)

Throw in a gazillion dollars from freed up cap space (Kobe retiring, Hibbert off the books, potential Lou Williams trade), and the right star players and the right coach can get the team back on track. Of course, this hinges entirely on getting the right coach and the right stars/free-agent role players.

If I'm the Lakers, you need to get the coach asap. Throw a stupid amount of money at a good coach. If you don't, stars won't come.

sagegrouse
04-25-2016, 03:10 PM
If the Lakers get a top two pick, they have a really intriguing future:

-D'Angelo Russell (tons of potential but made the dumbest rookie mistake of the year)
-Jordan Clarkson (good PG but nowhere near elite)
-Julius Randle (excellent rebounder but only a mediocre scorer)
-Ben Simmons/Brandon Ingram (the next star for the Lakers)

Throw in a gazillion dollars from freed up cap space (Kobe retiring, Hibbert off the books, potential Lou Williams trade), and the right star players and the right coach can get the team back on track. Of course, this hinges entirely on getting the right coach and the right stars/free-agent role players.

If I'm the Lakers, you need to get the coach asap. Throw a stupid amount of money at a good coach. If you don't, stars won't come.

MBB Coaching Carousel?

flyingdutchdevil
04-25-2016, 03:12 PM
MBB Coaching Carousel?

Lakers are after Calipari and Ollie ;)

OldPhiKap
04-25-2016, 03:13 PM
Lakers are after Calipari and Ollie ;)

Wonder if Mr. Bolden is watching that development . . . .