PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke at Clemson (Wed, 1/13/16, 7pm ET, ESPN2) PreGame and In-Game Thread

Troublemaker
01-10-2016, 03:48 PM
Clemson has flatout been a good ACC team their past 4 games

First, they had a decent showing in Chapel Hill (which is a house of horrors for them), losing a competitive 80-69 game
Next, they comfortably beat a talented (but thus far underachieving) FSU team at Clemson, 84-75.
Then, they went to the Carrier Dome and upset Syracuse in an OT game, 74-73
Finally, today, at home they upset Louisville 66-62

As with most ACC road games this season, I'd be thrilled with a 1-pt victory.

gocanes0506
01-10-2016, 04:30 PM
Clemson just beat Louisville

Troublemaker
01-10-2016, 08:20 PM
I got the following graphic from a recent Luke Winn power rankings column. The graphic was for a blurb he wrote about Maryland, but Clemson is listed in the graphic incidentally as one of the best postup teams in the country.

http://www.si.com/sites/default/files/2015/12/31/pr_12_31_15_maryland.gif

So, don't freak out if Nnoko, Djitte, and Blossomgame score some post points on Duke. Those guys have some skill in there. I would only be concerned if fouls are called on Marshall and Brandon while defending the post. Keep those arms straight up, guys, and hopefully the refs recognize the arms as straight up if they are.

Indoor66
01-10-2016, 09:22 PM
Personally I don't care if those three score 18 pts each so long as we win the game. It isn't how, it's how many. There are no style points.

sagegrouse
01-10-2016, 10:14 PM
Personally I don't care if those three score 18 pts each so long as we win the game. It isn't how, it's how many. There are no style points.

If there were "no style points," would there be any need for fan message boards?

Olympic Fan
01-10-2016, 10:22 PM
Duke will need to shoot well. Clemson is tough to score against in the paint -- they are the second best shotblocking team in the ACC. They were averaging 5.67 blocks a game before Sunday's game. Duke, surprisingly, is first in the ACC in blocks ... they were at 5.73 before Saturday (and I think we had eight blocks in that one).

Duke is a slightly better rebounding team and has the best turnover margin in the ACC (Clemson is 10th in that category).

I'll be curious to see what the crowd looks like. Will Clemson fans, excited by their fast ACC start, pack the place un Greenville or will there be a lot of open seats for Duke fans to buy up?

Troublemaker
01-10-2016, 11:24 PM
Duke will need to shoot well. Clemson is tough to score against in the paint -- they are the second best shotblocking team in the ACC. They were averaging 5.67 blocks a game before Sunday's game. Duke, surprisingly, is first in the ACC in blocks ... they were at 5.73 before Saturday (and I think we had eight blocks in that one).

Great point, Oly Fan. If there's a through line for Duke's two losses this season, it's that the Kentucky game and the Utah game were the two games in which Duke had its shots blocked the most this season. In those two losses, you could easily argue that Duke's offense was more responsible for the loss than Duke's defense. Two games do not make a trend, but it's something worth paying attention to.

Will Nnoko, Blossomgame, and Djitte shut down Duke's driving with blocked shots? Or can our guards use the dumpoffs to Marshall, use floaters, and use midrange shots to counter Clemson's elite shot-blocking ability that ranks 8th nationally in the tempo-free Blocked Shot Rate?

I'll be curious to see what the crowd looks like. Will Clemson fans, excited by their fast ACC start, pack the place un Greenville or will there be a lot of open seats for Duke fans to buy up?

This may depend on what happens when Clemson plays Bama tomorrow in football. If Bama blows them out as many people suspect, the crowd might still be hungover from that blowout on Wednesday. On the other hand, if Clemson pulls off the upset, the delirious celebration may continue into Wednesday.

(All that said, I'm definitely rooting for Clemson against Bama tomorrow. Who cares if the crowd will be hungover or delirious? Go ACC!)

DBFAN
01-11-2016, 10:07 AM
I don't know what to think about Clemson. I didn't think they looked that competitive in Chapel Hill, I just thought UNC was bored until they wanted to play. FSU so far has looked pretty bad, at least in league play. Their big guy may be talented and big, but has no IQ for the game, and had 0 stamina. Let's be honest as well, Syracuse is a mess right now. So the wins over FSU and SYU aren't that impressive to me. Now the Loiusville game I can't really comment on, haven't really watched them at all this year, and trying to figure out Pitino teams this time of the year is about as easy as knowing how good MSU is. I think Dukes offense is clicking on all cylinders, and their focus has been pretty amazing thus far. I really think Duke is just gonna be too fast for them, and they present a huge matchup problems for teams that wanna play big and physical. At all times this team has 4 guys on the floor who can short from outside, and drive past you, and the way Kennard has been coming along lately, teams will have to pick their poison. Sure we could lose, because it's a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds, and it's on the road, but I think Duke wins this more comfortably than most would imagine

Troublemaker
01-11-2016, 10:24 AM
I don't know what to think about Clemson. I didn't think they looked that competitive in Chapel Hill, I just thought UNC was bored until they wanted to play. FSU so far has looked pretty bad, at least in league play. Their big guy may be talented and big, but has no IQ for the game, and had 0 stamina. Let's be honest as well, Syracuse is a mess right now. So the wins over FSU and SYU aren't that impressive to me. Now the Loiusville game I can't really comment on, haven't really watched them at all this year, and trying to figure out Pitino teams this time of the year is about as easy as knowing how good MSU is. I think Dukes offense is clicking on all cylinders, and their focus has been pretty amazing thus far. I really think Duke is just gonna be too fast for them, and they present a huge matchup problems for teams that wanna play big and physical. At all times this team has 4 guys on the floor who can short from outside, and drive past you, and the way Kennard has been coming along lately, teams will have to pick their poison. Sure we could lose, because it's a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds, and it's on the road, but I think Duke wins this more comfortably than most would imagine

Shhhhhhhh, I was trying to get some folks to bet their bitcoins on Clemson in this game.

I more or less agree with you. Clemson is certainly capable of winning this game, but I do think that putting MP3 behind the backboard and feeding dropoffs to him on the drive is the antidote to Clemson's shotblocking.

BTW, the reference to FSU being talented is really about their backcourt, which likely has 3 future NBA players in it, not FSU's froncourt.

whereinthehellami
01-11-2016, 10:36 AM
Clemson is #81 (78 O, 95 D) on Kenpom, Duke #5 (2 O, 56 D)

Clemson's RPI is #128, Duke is #9

Blossomgame is having himself a year; 15.4 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 52 fg%, 72 ft%, 38 3pt%

Clemson shooting 43 fg%, 70 ft%, and 36 pt% as a team

CameronDuke
01-11-2016, 10:49 AM
I thought coming into the season, two coaches that needed to prove themselves the most this season to keep their jobs were Brian Gregory at Georgia Tech and Brad Brownell at Clemson. Gregory got a huge victory at home over Virginia Saturday and Brownell, at 3-1 in the league, is also off to a great start.

I'm interested to see the home court advantage for Clemson in this one playing in Greenville, South Carolina as opposed to Littlejohn Coluseum which is undergoing renovations this season. The place supposedly sits 14,897 at full capacity which would be raucous, but so far in the league, attendance has been well below that. For the FSU game, the official attendance was 9,945 and for the Louisville game yesterday it was 9,562. Clemson did draw 14,446 against South Caroina earlier this year. I'd expect for Duke, the attendance will be 14,000 plus.

CDu
01-11-2016, 11:12 AM
Clemson is a VERY athletic team. They are, like us, a team that plays primarily 4 perimeter guys around one true big. But they, like us, have a guy who is a tough matchup at the (nominal) PF spot.

Center: Landry Nnoko is Clemson's version of Marshall Plumlee (sort of). He doesn't have an array of moves offensively, but he's big physical, and can score around the rim if given the space. He's also a terrific shotblocker, averaging 2.3 blocks per game. He isn't the best rebounder, though he isn't a liability there. He'll play 20-25 minutes and will likely be in foul trouble. However, his backup isn't exactly a liability either. Sidy Djitte is also 6'10" though a little slimmer, and is a terrific rebounder. He is a bit less gifted than either Nnoko or Plumlee offensively, but fills his role well. He, too, will likely be in foul trouble. This duo averages about 5.6 fouls per game. If both guys get in foul trouble, they have Josh Smith as their version of Sean Obi (i.e., minutes filler).

PF: Clemson, like the current iteration of Duke without Jefferson, doesn't have a PF on the roster. Instead, they play a SF there in Blossomgame. Blossomgame's game has, for lack of a better word, blossomed this year. At 6'7", 220, he's extremely athletic, but also quite strong for his size. He'll attack mostly from the perimeter (where he is now shooting 37.8% from 3pt range), and use the threat of the jumper to set up drives to the rim. Once he gets near the basket, he's a strong finisher. He is also a terrific rebounder, and leads the team in that department. He's really become a complete player for the Tigers this year, and he's the guy that Duke needs to take out of the game if possible. After him, though, Clemson has literally nobody of interest. Josh Smith is again an option as a fill-in when Blossomgame is out, but to say that he is a dropoff in talent is an understatement.

SF: The primary (only) option at SF is Donte Grantham. Grantham is a wiry 6'8", 210, with a well-balanced offensive game. He is a good 3pt shooter (36.1%) and a solid athlete. He also likes to attack off the dribble, but he's skinny and not nearly as effective at it as Blossomgame. When Grantham is out, the Tigers go small.

SG: Avry Holmes is the SG. He is small (6'2"), but man can he shoot. He's a 41-42% 3pt shooter, and 3s represent over half of his shots. Moreso than almost anyone on that team, we can't leave him open. Holmes is also the backup PG.

PG: Jordan Roper is the PG. He's a very streaky shooter: in the win over FSU, he hit 7-10 from 3 and scored 23 points; 3 days later he shot 0-2 from 3 and scored just 2 points in the win over Syracuse. On the season, he's a 34.8% shooter, so you can see the volatility. He's a solid playmaker, but not on the level of our duo of Allen and Kennard. Not as athletic as Thornton, but more polished (as should be expected given his experienced).

Bench: Clemson plays a short bench. After the starting five, we'll see a lot of Djitte and Gabe DeVoe (the backup wing). DeVoe doesn't do anything particularly well, especially shoot (under 30% from the field this year). He's a solid rebounder for his size, but that's about it. Any deeper in the bench and you know that Clemson is either in serious foul trouble, have had an injury, or are in a blowout.

This is a game we should win, but Clemson can give us trouble with their athleticism and effort. Blossomgame has shot the lights out against before, and they have guys who can get hot. But if we can get their bigs in foul trouble and stay out of trouble on our own, we should win. And with Ingram, Kennard, and Allen doing so well with their drives, we should be able to do so.

Lar77
01-11-2016, 11:18 AM
The place will be filled but with a significant pro-Duke contingent I would suspect. I did not see Clemson yesterday but caught them at Syracuse (which was an exciting finish) and at unc (where they ran out of gas). Blossingame is good; double N is coming along. But they shot poorly against Louisville and not much better against Syracuse. I think Marshall can neutralize them inside. If our guys shoot better than 30% from outside (we shot 29% against Utah), this isn't close. I would like to see how our drive and dish works against these guys.

Is there a line yet?

Lar77
01-11-2016, 11:24 AM
Clemson is a VERY athletic team. They are, like us, a team that plays primarily 4 perimeter guys around one true big. But they, like us, have a guy who is a tough matchup at the (nominal) PF spot.

Center: Landry Nnoko is Clemson's version of Marshall Plumlee (sort of). He doesn't have an array of moves offensively, but he's big physical, and can score around the rim if given the space. He's also a terrific shotblocker, averaging 2.3 blocks per game. He isn't the best rebounder, though he isn't a liability there. He'll play 20-25 minutes and will likely be in foul trouble. However, his backup isn't exactly a liability either. Sidy Djitte is also 6'10" though a little slimmer, and is a terrific rebounder. He is a bit less gifted than either Nnoko or Plumlee offensively, but fills his role well. He, too, will likely be in foul trouble. This duo averages about 5.6 fouls per game. If both guys get in foul trouble, they have Josh Smith as their version of Sean Obi (i.e., minutes filler).

PF: Clemson, like the current iteration of Duke without Jefferson, doesn't have a PF on the roster. Instead, they play a SF there in Blossomgame. Blossomgame's game has, for lack of a better word, blossomed this year. At 6'7", 220, he's extremely athletic, but also quite strong for his size. He'll attack mostly from the perimeter (where he is now shooting 37.8% from 3pt range), and use the threat of the jumper to set up drives to the rim. Once he gets near the basket, he's a strong finisher. He is also a terrific rebounder, and leads the team in that department. He's really become a complete player for the Tigers this year, and he's the guy that Duke needs to take out of the game if possible. After him, though, Clemson has literally nobody of interest. Josh Smith is again an option as a fill-in when Blossomgame is out, but to say that he is a dropoff in talent is an understatement.

SF: The primary (only) option at SF is Donte Grantham. Grantham is a wiry 6'8", 210, with a well-balanced offensive game. He is a good 3pt shooter (36.1%) and a solid athlete. He also likes to attack off the dribble, but he's skinny and not nearly as effective at it as Blossomgame. When Grantham is out, the Tigers go small.

SG: Avry Holmes is the SG. He is small (6'2"), but man can he shoot. He's a 41-42% 3pt shooter, and 3s represent over half of his shots. Moreso than almost anyone on that team, we can't leave him open. Holmes is also the backup PG.

PG: Jordan Roper is the PG. He's a very streaky shooter: in the win over FSU, he hit 7-10 from 3 and scored 23 points; 3 days later he shot 0-2 from 3 and scored just 2 points in the win over Syracuse. On the season, he's a 34.8% shooter, so you can see the volatility. He's a solid playmaker, but not on the level of our duo of Allen and Kennard. Not as athletic as Thornton, but more polished (as should be expected given his experienced).

Bench: Clemson plays a short bench. After the starting five, we'll see a lot of Djitte and Gabe DeVoe (the backup wing). DeVoe doesn't do anything particularly well, especially shoot (under 30% from the field this year). He's a solid rebounder for his size, but that's about it. Any deeper in the bench and you know that Clemson is either in serious foul trouble, have had an injury, or are in a blowout.

This is a game we should win, but Clemson can give us trouble with their athleticism and effort. Blossomgame has shot the lights out against before, and they have guys who can get hot. But if we can get their bigs in foul trouble and stay out of trouble on our own, we should win. And with Ingram, Kennard, and Allen doing so well with their drives, we should be able to do so.

Cdu, I read your post after I posted, and thank you for your analysis. It captures this Clemson team well.

I'll be interested in whether Brandon or Matt get Blossomgame on defense. Either should be able to handle him, but I agree he can, and has, gone off.

Troublemaker
01-11-2016, 12:02 PM
I'll be interested in whether Brandon or Matt get Blossomgame on defense. Either should be able to handle him, but I agree he can, and has, gone off.

I think we'll allow the two stretch 4s to go head-to-head, and I think Matt will be assigned Grantham. Of course, with all the switching we do on defense, everyone will get a taste of everyone.

Blossomgame is a big test for Brandon. He's Clemson's best player and is very good at drawing fouls. If Brandon gets into foul trouble, the game becomes a toss-up or maybe advantage Clemson. Biggest key to the game, imo.

kAzE
01-11-2016, 12:09 PM
The only thing I'm a bit concerned with is Clemson's offensive game, since post-D might be the one thing that Brandon struggles with defensively. He's gotten pushed around down low this year against bigger guys. We should probably be playing for the denial on those entry passes from the perimeter. Not as concerned with Marshall getting pushed around, but I am concerned about his ability to stay out of foul trouble. I'm hoping these past couple of games are the new trend instead of a flash in the pan for him. Blossomgame seems to always light it up against us no matter where we play. I just remember him hitting some crazy threes against us every time we play them. Should be a reasonably tough road game for us, but I'd absolutely expect us to win. I don't see them being able to guard us. This offense is too good.

CDu
01-11-2016, 12:10 PM
Cdu, I read your post after I posted, and thank you for your analysis. It captures this Clemson team well.

I think we'll allow the two stretch 4s to go head-to-head, and I think Matt will be assigned Grantham. Of course, with all the switching we do on defense, everyone will get a taste of everyone.

Blossomgame is a big test for Brandon. He's Clemson's best player and is very good at drawing fouls. If Brandon gets into foul trouble, the game becomes a toss-up or maybe advantage Clemson. Biggest key to the game, imo.

Yeah, I agree with Troublemaker here. The nominal matchups will probably be Ingram on Blossomgame and Jones on Grantham, but I would expect lots of switching to happen. Aside from Plumlee/Jeter and Thornton, any of our other wings are capable of defending Blossomgame. The key is not biting on pump fakes, because he can draw a lot of fouls that way, as well as create easy driving opportunities. He's a clever player to go along with his terrific athleticism. I think we'll try to have Ingram on him as much as possible, but we will end up seeing a lot of switches.

FerryFor50
01-11-2016, 12:28 PM
Yeah, I agree with Troublemaker here. The nominal matchups will probably be Ingram on Blossomgame and Jones on Grantham, but I would expect lots of switching to happen. Aside from Plumlee/Jeter and Thornton, any of our other wings are capable of defending Blossomgame. The key is not biting on pump fakes, because he can draw a lot of fouls that way, as well as create easy driving opportunities. He's a clever player to go along with his terrific athleticism. I think we'll try to have Ingram on him as much as possible, but we will end up seeing a lot of switches.

Blossomgame had a pretty huge game as a freshman against Duke when Clemson beat them 72-59 in 2014.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2014-01-11-clemson.html

Nnoko also hit the boards hard.

Granted, very different teams, but shows what Nnoko and Blossomgame are capable of. Luckily, Clemson has no KJ McDaniels, or anyone even near that level on this year's team.

Saratoga2
01-11-2016, 08:26 PM
I agree with those who are still concerned about a big athletic front court limiting our slashing opportunities at the basket, which through made baskets or free throws has been a major part of our offense. I need to see us beat this kind of front court with driving layups, along with the feed to Marshall in the new wrinkle, before I stop being anxious about what big shot blockers might do to our offense.

I also raised the question about Brandon playing big minutes at the 4 and what that might do to his offense later in the game. He has seemed to tail off. Was it due to fatigue?

Love to take Clemson down and make a further statement about Duke's continuing development.

BigWayne
01-11-2016, 09:11 PM
Clemson is #81 (78 O, 95 D) on Kenpom, Duke #5 (2 O, 56 D)

Clemson's RPI is #128, Duke is #9

Blossomgame is having himself a year; 15.4 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 52 fg%, 72 ft%, 38 3pt%

Clemson shooting 43 fg%, 70 ft%, and 36 pt% as a team

Check the numbers for UVA vs. VT. VT had no chance on paper. I have confidence in our team, but they still have to show up strong or Clemson will run them over.

Bob Green
01-13-2016, 04:54 AM
I am expecting Clemson to give us a tough battle tonight in Greenville. We will need to shot a high percentage from the field and knock down some 3 pointers to prevent the Tigers from packing the paint in order to cut off our drives to the rim.

devildeac
01-13-2016, 07:17 AM
Looks like it's Duke -7.5 tonight. I'll go in for $1K with the Tigers and take those points. I've still got $3K of JE's DBR play money on my desk so what the heck.

Troublemaker
01-13-2016, 09:41 AM
Looks like it's Duke -7.5 tonight. I'll go in for $1K with the Tigers and take those points. I've still got $3K of JE's DBR play money on my desk so what the heck.

Yeah, I was contemplating taking Duke, but now I'm chickening out at that number.

I will, however, dip my toe in the water tonight by taking Georgia Tech +6.5 at Notre Dame for $1K.

flyingdutchdevil
01-13-2016, 09:44 AM
I'll take duke for $5k. Why? Bet against devildeac, that's why.

OldPhiKap
01-13-2016, 09:44 AM

I'll take Duke to cover, and put $675 of my $4,550.

dd, glad you are playing with JE's money -- you put a dent in my Bitcoin cache.

Lar77
01-13-2016, 10:08 AM
I'm at $5500 after VT (gloat). I really thought VT was going to put on a better show, but they got bushwhacked early (and often).

Lesson learned. Always bet on blue.

7.5 seems high given the Tigers recent showings, but I like our chances. Like we did at VT, if the threes fall early, Clemson is in big trouble. I didn't realize how bulky they are. It's almost like the Clemson teams of old.

So I'm going with Duke giving 7.5 for $500.

uh_no
01-13-2016, 10:20 AM
at 4500

will take duke to cover for 1000.

rasputin
01-13-2016, 10:34 AM
at 4500

will take duke to cover for 1000.

I'll take Clemson and the points for $ 1K

CameronDuke
01-13-2016, 11:04 AM
Duke -7.5 is generous to Clemson. They will stay within that for 20 minutes but Duke covers that tonight. Duke 83, Clemson 66.

Indoor66
01-13-2016, 12:16 PM
I'll put $1,000 on Duke to cover.

Pghdukie
01-13-2016, 12:32 PM
I think Clemson can cause problems down low.Foul trouble might come into play for the Blue Team. I'll take Clemson for 1K !

Lar77
01-13-2016, 01:12 PM
Duke -7.5 is generous to Clemson. They will stay within that for 20 minutes but Duke covers that tonight. Duke 83, Clemson 66.

That is sort of what happened when they played unc. They wore out.

At Syracuse, both teams wore out and Clemson solved the 2-3 with Blossomgame and NN on the inside dump-off.

If we hit some threes and our interior defense is decent, we win easily.

devildeac
01-13-2016, 01:36 PM
I'll take duke for $5k. Why? Bet against devildeac, that's why.

Heck, I'm 0-2 now so call me a trendsetter (or thinking foolishly again that we won't cover :o ).

devildeac
01-13-2016, 01:38 PM
I'll take Duke to cover, and put $675 of my $4,550.

dd, glad you are playing with JE's money -- you put a dent in my Bitcoin cache.

I've still got your PIN # so you're safe until Saturday when I return to your treasures :p .

moonpie23
01-13-2016, 03:04 PM
I'm down to 2K since i can't quit taking the points....I've asked all y'all to not let me take the points any more....

so i'll go $500 and take the clemson and the points...

Troublemaker
01-13-2016, 03:28 PM
I'm down to 2K since i can't quit taking the points...I've asked all y'all to not let me take the points any more...

so i'll go $500 and take the clemson and the points...

Moonpie, your bankroll has been refreshed to $5,000.

Check out the College Hoops Fantasy Wagering Contest (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?37207-DBR-College-Hoops-fantasy-wagering-contest) thread and post your picks in there and the spreadsheet

Consider everything before today to be practice.

devildeac
01-13-2016, 03:44 PM
Moonpie, your bankroll has been refreshed to $5,000.

Check out the College Hoops Fantasy Wagering Contest (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?37207-DBR-College-Hoops-fantasy-wagering-contest) thread and post your picks in there and the spreadsheet

Consider everything before today to be practice.

Ooh, maybe I should do the same :o .

cato
01-13-2016, 03:47 PM
Ooh, maybe I should do the same :o .

At what point should we start to worry about the signs of problem gambling?

devildeac
01-13-2016, 03:54 PM
At what point should we start to worry about the signs of problem gambling?

When I start losing your money after Jason's and OPK's supplies are gone?

:p

socaldukie
01-13-2016, 04:38 PM
Game/Line Pick Wager
GATch/ND -8 GA Tech +8 1000
USC/UCLA OU160 OVER 160 500
USC/UCLA -10 UCLA -10 100

cato
01-13-2016, 04:52 PM
When I start losing your money after Jason's and OPK's supplies are gone?

:p

It all starts with Jason's and OPK's money. Then it's just a bottle or two from the cellar.

Next thing you know, you're trying to get someone to take the deed to your house just for a couple of cans of Heady Topper.

devildeac
01-13-2016, 04:58 PM
It all starts with Jason's and OPK's money. Then it's just a bottle or two from the cellar.

Next thing you know, you're trying to get someone to take the deed to your house just for a couple of cans of Heady Topper.

OK, you got me with the Heady Topper. I'll seek counseling :o .

SCDUKE
01-13-2016, 05:06 PM
Hoping the drive and kick approach results in a lot of threes going in.

Troublemaker
01-13-2016, 05:31 PM
Game/Line Pick Wager
GATch/ND -8 GA Tech +8 1000
USC/UCLA OU160 OVER 160 500
USC/UCLA -10 UCLA -10 100

socaldukie,

Make sure you post your picks in the official thread (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?37207-DBR-College-Hoops-fantasy-wagering-contest)and in the spreadsheet linked there.

Also, house rules are that only games involving ACC teams will be booked for now, per the sportsbook manager Jason.

-jk
01-13-2016, 06:31 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

riverside6
01-13-2016, 06:53 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Clemson, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/duke-at-clemson-basketball-live-stats-01132016

rsvman
01-13-2016, 07:49 PM
wow. ill-advised early shot by Thornton that led to a third foul by Ingram and two more points for Clemson.
things couldn't have gone much worse in the last 40 seconds of the half.
sheesh

gumbomoop
01-13-2016, 07:50 PM
Not one, not two, but three very not smart [that's a euphemism] decisions to end our half.

1. K's decision not to sub out Ingram for last couple of minutes. No reason to gamble on a possible third foul.
2. Thornton's lack of awareness of clock, shooting way too early. In that situation, he cannot allow opponent time to get last shot.
3. Ingram's foul.

Bleecchhhh.

ETA: "Bleecchhhh" is equivalent of rsvman's ^ "sheesh."

arnie
01-13-2016, 08:16 PM
Not one, not two, but three very not smart [that's a euphemism] decisions to end our half.

1. K's decision not to sub out Ingram for last couple of minutes. No reason to gamble on a possible third foul.
2. Thornton's lack of awareness of clock, shooting way too early. In that situation, he cannot allow opponent time to get last shot.
3. Ingram's foul.

Bleecchhhh.

How are we still leading?? Plumlee struggling with Clempsun quickness and Ingrams 4 fouls.

Wahoo2000
01-13-2016, 08:17 PM

3. Ingram's foul.

Bleecchhhh.

#2 is the only one that really matters. Without that ill-advised early shot, Ingram isn't in foul trouble. Still, the announcers nailed it - if you have to go small, Clemson is a good team to do it again since Blossomgame isn't very big.

Wahoo2000
01-13-2016, 08:18 PM
How are we still leading?? Plumlee struggling with Clempsun quickness and Ingrams 4 fouls.

They aren't very good finishing in the paint. I still think you guys get another stretch where you catch fire from deep and win semi-comfortably, by like 7-10 points.

arnie
01-13-2016, 08:27 PM
Don't recall a Duke team not getting back repeatedly after missed shots.

rsvman
01-13-2016, 08:29 PM
did coach k forget about the zone? seems like we had some success with the 1-3-1 earlier in the year. might have to go to something like that to avoid fouling out every player on the team.

CDu
01-13-2016, 08:52 PM
did coach k forget about the zone? seems like we had some success with the 1-3-1 earlier in the year. might have to go to something like that to avoid fouling out every player on the team.

Clemson torched the zone late. But offense fell apart for us.

gurufrisbee
01-13-2016, 08:54 PM
Well those refs earned their money. Both their paycheck and whatever else they are getting tonight to help the locals feel better after Monday's big loss.

wavedukefan70s
01-13-2016, 08:54 PM
Deep breath on that one.2.5 hr drive home.

CharlestonDave
01-13-2016, 08:56 PM
Well those refs earned their money. Both their paycheck and whatever else they are getting tonight to help the locals feel better after Monday's big loss.

That is just silly talk . We lost because Clemson scored 5 more points than we did and tonite Clemson was better.