PDA

View Full Version : Brooklyn fires Hollins, "reassigns" Billy King.

jimsumner
01-10-2016, 03:39 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14541429/brooklyn-nets-fire-coach-lionel-hollins-reassign-gm-billy-king

gocanes0506
01-10-2016, 04:37 PM
Rumored the Nets want Calipari bad. Not sure why. He can't cheat his way to top talent like he does at UK.

BD80
01-10-2016, 05:41 PM
Rumored the Nets want Calipari bad. Not sure why. He can't cheat his way to top talent like he does at UK.

The Nets don't have a 1st round pick until 2019. They NEED a recruiter. Mikhail Prokhorov should be able to spend as much or more on recruits than Kentucky.

darthur
01-10-2016, 05:59 PM

That would be pretty surprising. Calipari has coached the Nets already, and he was fired after just over 2 seasons. Even if the new Nets ownership is happy to overlook those days, why would Calipari want to come back? He's become a celebrity at UK, and the Nets are arguably the worst positioned team in the NBA going forward. Hard to imagine a less attractive NBA coaching gig unless Prokhorov offers an exorbitant deal.

JPtheGame
01-11-2016, 12:52 AM
Whatever it takes to get the guy out of college basketball.

CDu
01-11-2016, 08:17 AM
That would be pretty surprising. Calipari has coached the Nets already, and he was fired after just over 2 seasons. Even if the new Nets ownership is happy to overlook those days, why would Calipari want to come back? He's become a celebrity at UK, and the Nets are arguably the worst positioned team in the NBA going forward. Hard to imagine a less attractive NBA coaching gig unless Prokhorov offers an exorbitant deal.

Yeah, that trade for Garnett and Pierce was just a horrible deal for the Nets. I remember laughing at how furious Bill Simmons was about it, but that deal has set up the Celtics REALLY well moving forward.

Blue in the Face
01-11-2016, 09:46 AM
Whatever it takes to get the guy out of college basketball.
It'll take a lot (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/john-calipari-s-unprecedented-asking-price-for-return-as-nets--savior-073022113.html).

For Calipari to consider the Nets – and, yes, the Sacramento Kings, too – league sources tell Yahoo Sports that the teams have been informed of his asking price: 10 years, $120 million.

BD80
01-11-2016, 09:52 AM
It'll take a lot (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/john-calipari-s-unprecedented-asking-price-for-return-as-nets--savior-073022113.html).

For Calipari to consider the Nets – and, yes, the Sacramento Kings, too – league sources tell Yahoo Sports that the teams have been informed of his asking price: 10 years, $120 million.

So, there's the first thing I'll do if I win the Powerball lottery.

No, second. Building the 20' wall around chapel hill has to come first. Priorities.

cspan37421
01-11-2016, 09:57 AM
There's an "In Soviet Russia" joke in here somewhere about reassigning the King but it doesn't work so well with an oligarch and without a Czar. a little help?

OldPhiKap
01-11-2016, 10:07 AM
So, there's the first thing I'll do if I win the Powerball lottery.

No, second. Building the 20' wall around chapel hill has to come first. Priorities.

If I win the lottery, I am going to buy every season ticket to the Dean Dome and then not go. Let 'em play in a big empty.

BD80
01-11-2016, 10:23 AM
If I win the lottery, I am going to buy every season ticket to the Dean Dome and then not go. Let 'em play in a big empty.

Will there be an appreciable difference in the noise level?

Or total IQ?

DukieInKansas
01-11-2016, 10:42 AM

Can the Presbyterian Student Body attend so there is someone to yell "Miss it!" on the unc free throw attempts?

duke74
01-11-2016, 05:14 PM
Yeah, that trade for Garnett and Pierce was just a horrible deal for the Nets. I remember laughing at how furious Bill Simmons was about it, but that deal has set up the Celtics REALLY well moving forward.

The owner, in trying to complete with the Knicks, and making crazy promises, put a lot of pressure on King. Granted he made bad moves by himself (Gerald Wallace??), but Prok really deserves some of the blame...but he wouldn't fire himself.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/1/11/10746578/billy-king-fired-mikhail-prokhorov-brooklyn-nets-fault (Note the infographic of the trades)

As a Knicks fan and a Queens resident, I am not unhappy that the pretentious, hipster borough has a trash team, frankly. But this wound was self-inflicted.

BLPOG
01-12-2016, 10:09 AM

A fun idea, but I question the size of the impact in reducing low attendance to no attendance. Personally, I'd try to buy all the VIP behind-the-benches seats in section 19 of Cameron, then distribute them to the students. Let the hot shots buy/be gifted tickets upstairs. Reduce the time commitment to get a good student seat and surround the players with raucous students on all sides.

MCFinARL
01-12-2016, 10:24 AM
Will there be an appreciable difference in the noise level?

Or total IQ?

Total IQ may go up.

79-77
01-12-2016, 01:34 PM
Well, King was a terrific player at Duke, but as a deeply disappointed Brooklynite I must point out that he's been a complete train wreck as an NBA GM. The Nets are completely screwed, now and for the foreseeable future.

CDu
01-12-2016, 02:10 PM
The owner, in trying to complete with the Knicks, and making crazy promises, put a lot of pressure on King. Granted he made bad moves by himself (Gerald Wallace??), but Prok really deserves some of the blame...but he wouldn't fire himself.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/1/11/10746578/billy-king-fired-mikhail-prokhorov-brooklyn-nets-fault (Note the infographic of the trades)

As a Knicks fan and a Queens resident, I am not unhappy that the pretentious, hipster borough has a trash team, frankly. But this wound was self-inflicted.

No doubt that the owner hasn't helped matters. But King hasn't helped matters, either.

duke74
01-12-2016, 02:18 PM
No doubt that the owner hasn't helped matters. But King hasn't helped matters, either.

Agree. Hence my first paragraph. :)

Enough blame here to go around.

CDu
01-12-2016, 02:24 PM
Agree. Hence my first paragraph. :)

Enough blame here to go around.

Thankfully, I'm not a Nets fan (and it sounds like you aren't either). :)

Of course, as a Bulls fan, I have my own issues with team management to complain about. :(