PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs Wake (1-6-2016)

Newton_14
01-06-2016, 10:03 PM
Who was Duke's Man Of The Match In the 91-75 win over Wake tonight?

OZZIE4DUKE
01-06-2016, 10:11 PM
Marshall! Now, if only he would power to the basket like that all the time!

wavedukefan70s
01-06-2016, 10:21 PM
Plumbeard 3

Newton_14
01-06-2016, 10:21 PM
Marshall! Now, if only he would power to the basket like that all the time!
Totally agree Ozzie and he got my vote as well. If he starts attacking the basket like that every time, and stops the "bringing the ball down, trying to dribble first, and pump faking too much" his game will go to new levels, as will the ceiling for this team. If he can do those things, and we get Amile back, and playing at a high level, this team will be able to beat anybody!

Congrats to MP3, you are my man of the match

Honorable Mention- The 3 Assassins- Grayson, Brandon, Luke!

devildeac
01-06-2016, 10:36 PM
Day-umm. 24 points on 10 shots with 3 boards, 3A and 1 TO and no votes so far. Tough crowd ;) .

Seriously, I voted for Plumbeard. Helluva game there, big guy. I'm glad to see Luuuuuke get some votes, too. Darn good game for the freshman.

fidel
01-06-2016, 10:38 PM
I went for Luke.

When we lost Grayson and Matt (both with 4), we ended up with 4 freshmen and Marshall. Marshall was awesome, but I thought Luke showed a lot of maturity at both ends of the floor. Things could have descended to chaos at that point really.

And wow, for a purported long-range shooter he has a strong handle to the hoop!

Bluedevil114
01-06-2016, 10:39 PM
MP3. I usually yell at him double the amount of points he scores a game. This game I looked back and only was disappointed with him on the foul at the top of the key in the first half that put Wake on the line. Really impressed with how they used him tonight and how aggressive he played. Now if they can get him to attack the rim every game we change the dynamic of this team and become unguardable.

devildeac
01-06-2016, 10:47 PM
I went for Luke.

When we lost Grayson and Matt (both with 4), we ended up with 4 freshmen and Marshall. Marshall was awesome, but I thought Luke showed a lot of maturity at both ends of the floor. Things could have descended to chaos at that point really.

My old geezer/curmudgeon memory seems to recall reading here that the staff told Luke to work on his handle during the spring and summer as he might be called upon to be the back-up PG. Good handle+rule changes this year=lotsa FT for Grayson and Luke. I really like what K is doing with this team.

sagegrouse
01-06-2016, 10:56 PM
I went for Luke.

Me too. He took charge when Grayson and Matt went out with four fouls.

jipops
01-06-2016, 11:28 PM
Me too. He took charge when Grayson and Matt went out with four fouls.

I have to go with Luke as well. Marshall of course had a great game having been spoon fed by the guards. But Luke was absolutely the best player on the floor tonight. That kid is a straight up baller and he really took over this game.

Newton_14
01-06-2016, 11:41 PM
I have to go with Luke as well. Marshall of course had a great game having been spoon fed by the guards. But Luke was absolutely the best player on the floor tonight. That kid is a straight up baller and he really took over this game.

Grayson Allen says Hello! :)

elvis14
01-06-2016, 11:55 PM
I voted for MP3 (after all, its MOTM not "Man that had a good game and contributed nicely to the team, MTHAGGACNTTT).

Allen and Kennard played great games. They contributed nicely to the team.

DevilWearsPrada
01-07-2016, 05:16 AM
There's a New Sheriff in Town, and his name is "MARSHALL" !!!!!!

Marshall had a great break out game!!!!!!!!! Keep it up Captain Plumlee, because the Team needs you!

I remember when Brian Zoubek had a break out game in 2010, vs Maryland at home!!! Zoubek was in Beast Mode the rest of the season, which lead to a National Championship!!!!!!!!!

Marshall...... "Stay in Beast Mode and channel you Inner Zoubek"

Great Game MP3, for your relentless efforts and leadership last night!

A great win on the road for the team that pushed through challenges and foul trouble!

AIRFORCEDUKIE
01-07-2016, 06:41 AM
I voted for Marshall on the Home Page poll, but here I voted for Luke. Marshall was great and he came through in a very big way, however he was able to get relatively easy shots close to the basket thanks to the penetration and play making of Luke. The kid was stellar in every aspect of the game last night. He had some defensive lapses but everyone on the team did. I feel like Luke controlled the tempo, the flow of the game was dictated by what he wanted to do. I didn't really expect to see him control a game like he did last night this season, yet here he was. He drove at will, drew fouls at key situations, made every free throw and either made the pass for an assist or made the pass that led to the pass that was an assist. Well done by the freshman we need him to play like that often, I can't imagine how good hes going to be once his threes start to fall.

David Bunkley
01-07-2016, 06:45 AM
Yesterday, I told my wife that we really needed a big game out of Marshall to get the win (I am sure many of this thought the same, given recent games against Wake). For extra support, I even broke out my Plumlee Brothers Dunking Company shirt. It was so good to see Lt. Plumlee take charge in the second half - you could litereally see Wake's collective ego deflate with each thunderous dunk. Always good to walk out of the Joel with a W.

#GODUKE

Clay Feet POF
01-07-2016, 07:13 AM
Oh Boy been waiting 4 years for this.....Well done MP3...keep it Rolling.

Furniture
01-07-2016, 07:19 AM
Grayson and Luke were also well deserving MOM's but you have to share the love right? How many games will MP3 have like this? Plus he was a clear leader of the team (of the freshmen) in this games darkest moments.

wsb3
01-07-2016, 08:05 AM
Loved the reception Marshall received from his teammates when Coach K took him out near the end.

DukeFanSince1990
01-07-2016, 08:07 AM
I voted for Luke and I stand by that decision.

jv001
01-07-2016, 08:18 AM
Grayson and Luke were also well deserving MOM's but you have to share the love right? How many games will MP3 have like this? Plus he was a clear leader of the team (of the freshmen) in this games darkest moments.

I agree Marshall was the clear leader of the team when K went to MPIII and 4 freshmen. He looked like a traffic cop at times. Great game for the senior captain. GoDuke!

dukebballcamper90-91
01-07-2016, 08:37 AM
Went with Luke also. His effort while Jones and Allen on bench was unreal for a freshman on the road at Wake.

duke blue brewcrew
01-07-2016, 08:49 AM
Grayson put up his usual monster numbers, and despite foul trouble had another great game. Luke was right behind Allen with a very strong game. He might not be killing it from 3, but he sure is starting to kill it from everywhere in general. I like that he's not scared to drive, has a strong mid-range game and isn't a selfish player. Ingram put up solid points, seems to have found his comfort zone, and had some brilliant blocks and rebounds in certain stretches. However, the difference maker in the game was the 2nd half of MP3. He put up a career high in pts, 18, going perfect from the floor and the line. He contributed to the Devin Thomas foul trouble in the 2nd half as well, who was having a monster game until he was forced to sit with 4 fouls. Marshall communicated well, got timely REBs and is somehow only credited with 2 blocks...I would've bet he had more than that.

duke blue brewcrew
01-07-2016, 09:07 AM
Grayson Allen says Hello! :)

Agreed. I voted for MP3, and I think Luke had a great game for sure. Allen is Duke's best player. His efficiency in the WFU game was outstanding. He shot 70% from the floor, including 75% from 3 and was the leading scorer in the game despite the foul trouble. Oh and chipped in 3 REBs, 3 Asst, 2 steals and 1 block against 1 TO. That's a solid night. Luke's numbers are pretty comparable, 2 more REBs including one offensive, same assists, no blocks, 1 steal, only 1 TO, and surprisingly no 3s. He missed one more shot from the floor than Allen did, but was perfect from the FT line where Allen missed one attempt.

Bob Green
01-07-2016, 03:26 PM
This was another "Tale of Two Halves" game. It was Grayson Allen and Brandon Ingram in the 1st half with Marshall Plumlee and Luke Kennard taking over in the 2nd half.

MOTM: Marshall Plumlee

Runner-up: Luke Kennard

Honorable Mention: Grayson Allen

NYBri
01-07-2016, 04:44 PM
Offers a wonderful dilemma.

Many games it's obvious, but with this one, we have an embarrassment of riches. I went with Luke because of his contributions while Grayson and Matt were sitting.

Easily could have gone with Marshall or Grayson ... strong argument for the Coach, but he wasn't on the ballot.

Dukehky
01-07-2016, 04:56 PM
Look, I was thrilled with Marshall too, but he cannot be the player of this game.

I was thinking that maybe this was a Zoubek against Maryland type of break out performance, or maybe it was just a result of our guards penetrating extremely well against a pretty bad defense. I'd be thrilled if it was the former, but more than likely it was the latter.

Luke was the most important and best player in last night's game in my opinion.

jv001
01-07-2016, 05:08 PM
Look, I was thrilled with Marshall too, but he cannot be the player of this game.

I was thinking that maybe this was a Zoubek against Maryland type of break out performance, or maybe it was just a result of our guards penetrating extremely well against a pretty bad defense. I'd be thrilled if it was the former, but more than likely it was the latter.

Luke was the most important and best player in last night's game in my opinion.

I don't suppose Wake's bad defense had anything to do with allowing Luke to penetrate into their defense? Luke was a worthy choice for MOM, but I would say that Grayson was an even better choice. If Ingram had shot better, he would be a good choice. There were 3 players that deserved the award. However, I will not down grade MPIII's play. He was our best inside player last night and that was where Duke was the weakest. GoDuke!