PDA

View Full Version : Elton Brand update - he's mentoring Okafor

Li_Duke
01-04-2016, 03:01 PM
Feel free to merge this one into the Jah's troubles thread. In Elton's own words:

https://thecauldron.si.com/because-i-m-not-through-with-this-game-yet-that-s-why-c04382612e71#.8pxoklj7m

Li_Duke
01-04-2016, 03:09 PM
Sorry, saw this was already posted in the NBA thread.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-04-2016, 03:30 PM
Jee, I would never had seen this if it wasn't in a new, separate thread. I don't look at "hundreds or thousands of posts long threads" that I haven't kept up with from the beginning. I have hated merged threads for years - since it first became "policy". Not going to change my opinion. :cool:

Edouble
01-04-2016, 05:24 PM
By the thread title, I figured that Elton had called Jahlil on the phone or something.

It's much more than that: Elton Brand has come out of retirement, after consulting with Coach K, to sign with the 76ers.

Interesting, and a little bit weird, read. Article seems full of regrets and excuses.

cspan37421
01-04-2016, 06:35 PM
Regrets, reasons, and realism, frankly. I thought it was a great article ... and great news. That team has nowhere to go but up - a great chance for Elton to show what kind of difference he can make (and I mostly don't even mean on the court, more in peer-mentoring mode).

cato
01-04-2016, 07:19 PM
By the thread title, I figured that Elton had called Jahlil on the phone or something.

It's much more than that: Elton Brand has come out of retirement, after consulting with Coach K, to sign with the 76ers.

Interesting, and a little bit weird, read. Article seems full of regrets and excuses.

Excuses? Coming to terms with dreams not realized, sure. But what excuses were there?

Full disclosure: EB was and remains one of my favorite Blue Devils. I never forgave the Bulls for sending him to Clipper land. I hope he gets something out of this stint.

NashvilleDevil
01-04-2016, 07:20 PM

Excuses? Please elaborate

Bluedevil114
01-04-2016, 08:10 PM

I found it a great read. I did not hear excuses. I heard Elton in full disclosure while being honest and vulnerable. I find it awesome that he is willing to give back to the game he loves and that it was Coach K that consulted him to do so. A chance for Elton to grow and show leadership. I have always been an Elton Brand fan but this raises him up even more in my eyes. It truly show it is a Duke family.

gep
01-04-2016, 11:11 PM
I found it a great read. I did not hear excuses. I heard Elton in full disclosure while being honest and vulnerable. I find it awesome that he is willing to give back to the game he loves and that it was Coach K that consulted him to do so. A chance for Elton to grow and show leadership. I have always been an Elton Brand fan but this raises him up even more in my eyes. It truly show it is a Duke family.

I thought it was a great read too. I didn't "hear" regrets and excsuses... mostly disappointment that things didn't turn out "perfect" with the story book ending. But to come out of retirement to "give back to the game" that he loves... wants to go back to the Sixers where they are "seriously young", and try to help them and the team grow... to me, that's very admirable. And to think that after all these years (15?) that he still calls Coach K for ultimate advice. Duke Family forever. (sorry but I seem to repeat what was posted above)

-jk
01-05-2016, 07:40 AM
Jee, I would never had seen this if it wasn't in a new, separate thread. I don't look at "hundreds or thousands of posts long threads" that I haven't kept up with from the beginning. I have hated merged threads for years - since it first became "policy". Not going to change my opinion. :cool:

Ozzie, we understand your position. For us, it's a balance between having threads pushed off the front page (and thus into purgatory) in just a few hours or keeping them on the front page for 24-48 hours. Not everyone can check in as often as you.

For others who may not know - following large threads is fairly straightforward using the blue "new" button (from the stickied FAQ (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?3217-FAQ-NCAA-Compliance-quot-9F-quot-NBA-Dukies&p=53922#post53922)):

Go to First New Post Probably my favorite tip. This feature let's you pick up where you left off, jumping to the oldest unread message in a thread, without scrolling through to find it yourself. It keeps track across multiple devices. You must use Linear View (the one with all the posts on one or several pages). Useful for the really long threads, though you must be logged in for it to work. In any particular forum, just to the left of an unread thread's subject, there's a small, blue box with "New". Click that button to jump to the first unread message. (If you float your mouse over the button, it says "Go to first new post".) While reading a post, you can temporarily change the view if you want the context within the thread; click on "Display" just above the top post in the upper, right area of the screen.

And you can always jump into a long thread towards the end and set your "new" marker there, ignoring the earlier posts and following the thread forward.

-jk

phaedrus
01-07-2016, 01:38 PM
Elton didn't share the real reason he joined the Sixers - he's a mere 381 points away from passing Grant Hill to become the highest-scoring Duke alum in the NBA.