PDA

View Full Version : Coach K Coaching Tree

DukieInBrasil
01-01-2016, 02:50 PM
There was an article on the front page detailing how well Wojo, Collins and Hurley are doing this year at their respective schools. Also in Coach K's coaching tree are Tommy Amaker (Harvard), Johnny Dawkins (Stanford) and Mike Brey (Notre Dame). Please forgive me, and update me, if i have forgotten any.
I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread dedicated to keeping track of how they're doing.
Dawkins' Stanford squad (7-4) takes on Utah tonight.
Brey has ND at 9-3 (good info on the ACC in NCAA tourney thread on front page).
Amaker has Harvard at 6-7 in the Ivy League.

Edouble
01-01-2016, 04:02 PM
There was an article on the front page detailing how well Wojo, Collins and Hurley are doing this year at their respective schools. Also in Coach K's coaching tree are Tommy Amaker (Harvard), Johnny Dawkins (Stanford) and Mike Brey (Notre Dame). Please forgive me, and update me, if i have forgotten any.
I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread dedicated to keeping track of how they're doing.
Dawkins' Stanford squad (7-4) takes on Utah tonight.
Brey has ND at 9-3 (good info on the ACC in NCAA tourney thread on front page).
Amaker has Harvard at 6-7 in the Ivy League.

Perhaps the thread title could be changed to "Coach K Coaching Tree" or something like that, as Mike Brey is more of a Coach K alum than a Duke alum.

Tim O'Toole, while not currently a head coach, is another former Duke bench coach (but not alum of the school) that I like to keep an eye on.

Bay Area Duke Fan
01-01-2016, 07:52 PM
What about Quin Snyder?

gam7
01-01-2016, 11:55 PM
Does Hurley count as being in the coaching tree? I think not.

DukieInBrasil
01-02-2016, 12:19 AM

That's why the original title was the way it was, but powers that be changed it. I think that Hurley, as the starting PG for 4 years, acted as an extension of Coach K on the court and a generous amount of slack should be afforded him when considering the coaching family tree.
BTW, Dawkins and Stanford beat Utah tonight 70-68, in OT. Almost like a symmetrical serving of karma.

DukieInBrasil
01-02-2016, 12:20 AM
What about Quin Snyder?

True, can you update us on where he is coaching?

gam7
01-02-2016, 12:29 AM
That's why the original title was the way it was, but powers that be changed it. I think that Hurley, as the starting PG for 4 years, acted as an extension of Coach K on the court and a generous amount of slack should be afforded him when considering the coaching family tree.
BTW, Dawkins and Stanford beat Utah tonight 70-68, in OT. Almost like a symmetrical serving of karma.

Ah, didn't see the original thread title.

And Quin Snyder is coaching the Utah Jazz.

sagegrouse
01-02-2016, 09:08 AM

Absolutely should be counted. I don't see why "Coach K Coaching Tree" should be limited to those who sat on the bench and helped run practices. IMHO (if you find the H, please PM it to me), Bobby is a serious candidate to replace K. Hurley was both All-American and captain at Duke, as well as a champion. Oh, and his jersey is in the rafters. As a point guard for four years, he was a "coach on the floor." What's the problem with placing him in the coaching tree?

When Jeff Capel was coaching at ODU and Oklahoma, didn't we consider him in the coaching tree?

Henderson
01-02-2016, 09:35 AM
Does Hurley count as being in the coaching tree?

Why not? Because he was never a Duke assistant under K? That seems a pretty pinched notion of a coaching tree. Young coaches learn from those who coached them, whether they coached with them or not.

I think not.

It happens. Drink some tea and get some rest.

MCFinARL
01-02-2016, 11:16 AM
Can we discuss future members? Under the rule that former Duke players count whether or not they coached at Duke, Greg Paulus (asst. coach at Ohio State), Chris Duhon (assistant coach at Marshall), and Tyler Thornton (graduate manager at Marquette) may join the head coaching tree some day.

MarkD83
01-02-2016, 12:16 PM
This thread does bring up an interesting recruiting advantage for duke. Even after a player's "playing " career ends, attending duke prepares you for a coaching career.

JasonEvans
01-02-2016, 02:46 PM
This thread does bring up an interesting recruiting advantage for duke. Even after a player's "playing " career ends, attending duke prepares you for a coaching career.

I think it is a pretty good bet there are more Dukies in national college hoops broadcasting than any other school too. And a fair number of them find their way into NBA front offices as well. Bottom line, playing for Coach K does a heck of a job of preparing you for tremendous success no matter what comes next in your life.

-Jason "I wonder how much of that is who K is and how much is his ability to find and recruit a certain type of individual" Evans

freshmanjs
01-03-2016, 07:13 PM
Good look for Hurley?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjoZN-XMkRw[/QUOTE]

sagegrouse
01-05-2016, 09:46 PM
Marquette wins at #8 Providence, 65-64:

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Freshman Henry Ellenson had 13 points, 10 rebounds and four blocked shots, swatting away Kris Dunn's attempted buzzer-beater to lead Marquette to a 65-64 victory over No. 8 Providence on Tuesday night.

Indoor66
01-06-2016, 08:14 AM
Marquette wins at #8 Providence, 65-64:

I watched the game and it was fun to watch. The skill level was so so but the effort was off the chart. WoJo is, it seems, a very good coach. To steal from Dickie V, he seems to be a strong motivator. Maybe he studied under the Motivatorvator?

Jeffrey
01-06-2016, 11:03 AM
Bobby is a serious candidate to replace K.

How do you expect his relatively long departure, from the game, to factor into the decision?

sagegrouse
01-06-2016, 11:08 AM
How do you expect his relatively long departure, from the game, to factor into the decision?

If he is highly successful at Arizona State, as he was at Buffalo, that should not be an issue. Would, say, Wojo or Jeff have an advantage because they are a few years younger? Maybe and maybe not.

HaveFunExpectToWin
01-06-2016, 11:46 AM
Can we discuss future members? Under the rule that former Duke players count whether or not they coached at Duke, Greg Paulus (asst. coach at Ohio State), Chris Duhon (assistant coach at Marshall), and Tyler Thornton (graduate manager at Marquette) may join the head coaching tree some day.

I agree, this list should be expanded to include all former players or assistants in coaching. Many have already mentioned the big names (Capel, Collins, Wojo, Hurley, Amaker, Snyder, Brey, Dawkins), but others should be added (Scheyer, James, Carrawell, Thornton, Paulus, Duhon, OToole). Is that the complete list? I think I'm missing folks.

Jeffrey
01-06-2016, 11:48 AM
Would, say, Wojo or Jeff have an advantage because they are a few years younger?

Agree, my money is still on Wojo.

DukieInBrasil
01-07-2016, 06:59 PM
Johnny took the Cardinal to Oregon St., and won. Cardinal are now 9-5.