PDA

View Full Version : WBB - Duke vs. Western Carolina 12/29/15 7PM

DU82
12-29-2015, 06:59 PM
Game starting in two minutes (plus the national anthem), thought starting a thread would be appropriate.

First game back after Christmas, we'll get to see the rotation without Kendall and still without Amber (whose picture is on tonight's ticket.)

DU82
12-29-2015, 07:03 PM
The injury bug strikes again, as assistant coach Haynes is on crutches.

DU82
12-29-2015, 07:33 PM
25-11 after the first ten minutes. Everybody has played, as Mercedes, Erin and Faith get in for the last offensive set of the quarter.

Good ball movement, and a highlight steal from Angela (came from behind to knock the ball, dove on the court to get the ball and pass it to a teammate, then gets the assist on the other end.)

Western CAROLINA doesn't have the size to compete, but is reasonably quick to give some resistance.

DU82
12-29-2015, 07:55 PM
40-27 at the half.

After a reasonably crisp first quarter, it got real sloppy in the second. WCU ended on a 7-2 run punctuated by Duke turnovers and brain cramps.

DU82
12-29-2015, 08:39 PM
62-37 after three.

A bit sloppy to start, but finally tighter defense and good movement and shooting on O.

Azura is having her usual game, as is Becca. Faith has played a bit more, and has two buckets, including a nice spin move. Haley finally got in with a minute left in the quarter. I figured she was told in no uncertain terms at the half to pick it up and stop with the brain cramp plays. (Mercedes came over at the start of thehalf to talk to her and cheer her up.). Angela has had three "baskets" after walking. Not sure if it's different calls, or something else. Sometimes her passes are intercepted by a player that's a little quicker than expected.

Oderah actually makes most of her lay ups, which is her primary offense (knows her strengths, one of which is an excellent curl move in the paint, which she can do amphibiously.)

DU82
12-29-2015, 09:01 PM
84-47 Final.

Entertaining last quarter, with the last five on the bench getting extended time. Faith looked much better than previous games, and Haley was more under control than earlier in the game.

jimsumner
12-29-2015, 10:24 PM
The injury bug strikes again, as assistant coach Haynes is on crutches.

She's been on crutches for several weeks.

Duke dominated inside but was really sloppy with the ball, 27 turnovers, many of them unforced. Apparently, Euro officials allow a little hop before a dribble drive that American officials do not allow and Salvadores got called for that at least three times tonight.

But sloppy is par for the course after the holiday break. Eleven people played, all for at least six minutes and all 11 scored.

DU82
12-29-2015, 11:53 PM
She's been on crutches for several weeks.

Duke dominated inside but was really sloppy with the ball, 27 turnovers, many of them unforced. Apparently, Euro officials allow a little hop before a dribble drive that American officials do not allow and Salvadores got called for that at least three times tonight.

But sloppy is par for the course after the holiday break. Eleven people played, all for at least six minutes and all 11 scored.

Re Rene, that's what I get for missing the two games before the holidays!

Regarding Angela, that's what I thought as well. Also, it seems that she's surprised sometimes with either the length or quickness of other players. Was she on an under 18 team, or the national team (yes, I'm lazy right now on the iPad.). If the former, I'm guessing the average American player is better than the average Euro player ( not that Angela is anywhere near average!)