PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. LBSU, Dec. 30, 4 pm, RSN, Pre Game and In Game Thread

Bob Green
12-29-2015, 02:20 PM
Will Long Beach State University give us a better battle? Duke is favored by 18 points. Discuss the game here.

Olympic Fan
12-29-2015, 04:00 PM
I think there is little doubt that they play us tougher than Elon ... heck, if we played Elon against Wednesday night, I think it would be closer game -- Monday was one of those nights when Duke was hot and their opponent had a bad night.

Long Beach State is rated about 40 points higher in Pomeroy than Elon. They are 6-8 against a very tough schedule -- seven of their eight losses were to top 100 teams. One loss was to Pepperdine, just out of the top 100. So, no great wins and no bad losses.

They lost to Virginia and to Arizona by about 15 points. In fact, they are coming off a 15-point loss at Arizona.

I want to see more development from Chase Jeter (he took a small step forward against Elon, but still has a long way to go before he's useful against a quality opponent). I want to see Grayson Allen get healthier -- K said he's still recovering from the flu and has lost 7-8 pounds. That may impact his endurance -- he was very, very good in the first half against Elon, but struggled in the second half. I want to see if Luke Kennard can string together a third straight strong shooting performance.

And I want to see Brandon Ingram, just to appreciate him -- I fear that we may not have him beyond this year, so my goal is to enjoy his unique game now every chance I get.

Bob Green
12-30-2015, 11:11 AM
Five hours before tip-off and the game thread is in danger of falling off Page 1. I'm a little surprised there has been no interest in discussing the game. Surely we can find something to disagree about: rotation, zone defense, cinderblocks...

Interior defense concerns me so I hope to see some improvement in that area.

MChambers
12-30-2015, 11:17 AM
Five hours before tip-off and the game thread is in danger of falling off Page 1. I'm a little surprised there has been no interest in discussing the game. Surely we can find something to disagree about: rotation, zone defense, cinderblocks...

Interior defense concerns me so I hope to see some improvement in that area.

LBSU has a better offense than Elon, so maybe our defense will be tested more, and you will see improvement. LBSU doesn't have a great defense, however.

LBSU has played quite a schedule, including UVa and Arizona, and only lost to Arizona by 15. Lost to UCLA by 7, so by the transitive power of college basketball, LBSU is better than Kentucky. Now I'm worried!

sagegrouse
12-30-2015, 11:31 AM
My DirecTV guide shows the game aired on about a dozen different channels, including YES, Comcast Sports Net, FS Ohio, etc. I am hopeful there will be no blackouts.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-30-2015, 11:52 AM
According to the app, Duke/LBSU will be shown on ESPN tres.

dukebluesincebirth
12-30-2015, 12:06 PM
My DirecTV guide shows the game aired on about a dozen different channels, including YES, Comcast Sports Net, FS Ohio, etc. I am hopeful there will be no blackouts.

Trying to figure out the TV thing myself... I thought I was going to miss this one bc no espn3. But I noticed the thread title says RSN. I live in coastal NC and have regular Time Warner cable...anyone know what channel this might be on?

MChambers
12-30-2015, 12:21 PM
Here in Washington, DC, it's supposed to be on the Comcast Sports Network.

Olympic Fan
12-30-2015, 12:28 PM
Trying to figure out the TV thing myself... I thought I was going to miss this one bc no espn3. But I noticed the thread title says RSN. I live in coastal NC and have regular Time Warner cable...anyone know what channel this might be on?

Check 315 and 318 ... it should almost certainly be on one of those on Time-Warner

Tripping William
12-30-2015, 12:32 PM
Additional TV info at the thread linked below. There will be blackouts on the East Coast, per the map shown in it. There is also a link in the thread to the ACC site's list of ACC Network affiliates showing the game. I believe it is no-go on standard Dish, for instance.

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?37104-TV-Stations-for-Long-Beach-State-Games

Lar77
12-30-2015, 12:37 PM
I'll combine my thoughts on this game, early ACC play, and on the Amile thread:

We are in the post Christmas progression. Elon was a good start after the layoff. It showed: we rebound well against smaller teams, when we shoot well and move the ball well, we are a very good team, Brandon Ingram is a really good player, Chase Jeter is starting to "get it", and enjoy it when we are playing great. LBSU will be a small step up in competition. We will win, but don't expect 70 points in the first half. Our defense needs to show up again. I expect more improvement from the "no Amile" team.

BC is going to be a bigger step: away ACC game, BC only sells out when we're in town, etc. We will win, but it will be a good introduction to our freshman against a team that is in the lower third of the conference, but an away ACC game nonetheless.

Wake will be our first true test (Kentucky was too early in the year; we played VCU, Georgetown, and Indiana with a very different team; Utah was bad timing). The Joel will be packed. Wake will play us physically and if you look at the past, it will be a tough game.

Our "no Amile" team is developing. I liked that Chase Jeter showed some of what he is capable of, Brandon Ingram is asserting himself, Grayson is changing his game to better drive and dish, and so forth. Where we are hurt right now is on missed shots. Amile was very effective at grabbing or tapping out missed 3s so we would get another shot. Guys need to step up in that role. Whether or not Amile returns this year, which should be his decision, and if he does, what will he be, is not relevant. Our team, as is, is better than most of our opposition. There are 5 teams in the ACC, right now, competing for the bye with 3 or 4 others just on the outside. Our "no Amile" team will lose some in ACC play, but we should be getting a bye. We have shown an ability to fight. Our February team will be better (and different) than our early January team. At this point last year, we were not a final four team. This team, as is, can get to the FF, assuming typical improvement.

LBSU may be a good indicator of what trajectory we will be taking in the next few weeks.

wilson
12-30-2015, 12:38 PM
ESPN3 blackout map for today's game:
If you're in the black portion of this map, you can not watch on ESPN3 and will have to find the game on whatever RSN carries ACC telecasts in your area.

Indoor66
12-30-2015, 12:46 PM
I think you will find it on the ACC Network affiliates and other places on ESPNU or ESPN3.

dukebluesincebirth
12-30-2015, 01:34 PM
Check 315 and 318 ... it should almost certainly be on one of those on Time-Warner

Looks like 318 (Fox Sports Carolinas) for me, thx OF! Looking forward to 4pm now😊.

TruBlu
12-30-2015, 04:05 PM
The game is on FSSO on Comcast on Georgia (channel 48)

moonpie23
12-30-2015, 04:12 PM
chat?

brevity
12-30-2015, 04:14 PM
chat?

It's open: http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox

devildeac
12-30-2015, 04:14 PM
chat?

I'm holding Bob Green hostage in another chatroom:rolleyes:.