PDA

View Full Version : Pinstripe Bowl Champions Postgame Thread: Duke 44, Indiana 41

wilson
12-26-2015, 07:26 PM
Wilson!

fisheyes
12-26-2015, 07:27 PM
How appropriate that WILSON starts the thread!!!!
GO DUKE!!!!
PUT IT IN THE BOOKS!!!

dukebluelemur
12-26-2015, 07:27 PM
Woo...!! may the next one not take another 55 years or whatever it was.

Bob Green
12-26-2015, 07:29 PM
Wilson for POTUS! Shaun Wilson that is.

MCFinARL
What an ending!

Seemed like the karma gods were paying a debt owed to Duke today.

kcduke75
That should help us keep our great recruiting class. Duke football on the rise!

grossbus
12-26-2015, 07:33 PM
Do we, in fact, have a great recruiting class? I do not follow FB recruiting.

dukelifer
12-26-2015, 07:33 PM
Almost as close as Gordon Haywood's shot. Almost expected Steve Harvey to come out and take the hat off of Cut. Gutty win and effort.

davekay1971
12-26-2015, 07:34 PM
Great win! And pretty much right on the money for this season - started out really well, hit a long, distressing downturn in the middle, then turned again for a great finish!

8-5. First bowl win in forever. First time ever with 3 seasons in a row with at least 8 wins. The Coach Cut era continues to take Duke football to all new heights. Congratulations to Cut, to the seniors, and to the whole team.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-26-2015, 07:35 PM
Follow up - Don Altman was watching in the hospital and is extremely proud.

GREAT win. GREAT next step.

burnspbesq
12-26-2015, 07:36 PM
Thuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... Devils win!

martydoesntfoul
12-26-2015, 07:36 PM
Awesome. Not sure how that happened. And that FG was NO GOOD!

First one to 45 -- I mean 44 -- wins!

Bob Green
12-26-2015, 07:38 PM

Yes. Capital Y, Capital E, Capital S. YES!

1999ballboy
12-26-2015, 07:39 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I don't really care about that FG. It's absurd that they can't review it somehow, but after no turnover or intentional grounding called on the previous play? I'm OK with it. Anyway, I'm 99% sure it was no good.

Thanks to Jeremy, Kelby, Shaquille, Max, Braxton, Matt, Will, Ross, and all of our seniors especially. Most people probably wouldn't have guessed that this would be the team, out of all of the last four, to finally win a bowl game, but through all of the adversity this season, I believe they've earned it. We've got a team that's tougher than they seem, and I'm extremely happy for them.

JetpackJesus
12-26-2015, 07:42 PM

I think Rivals has Duke's class ranked #23 currently.

DukieInKansas
12-26-2015, 07:43 PM
Watching the game was hard work. Great work, Blue Devils!

oldnavy
12-26-2015, 07:44 PM
So nice! Congrats to all the players but a special congrats to the seniors and Coach Cut! Great job guys!!

JetpackJesus
12-26-2015, 07:49 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I don't really care about that FG. It's absurd that they can't review it somehow, but after no turnover or intentional grounding called on the previous play? I'm OK with it. Anyway, I'm 99% sure it was no good.

I think it's not reviewable because it is a judgment call. The only thing we can say with certainty is that the ball would have hit the upright if lower, and this isn't baseball. We can't know how it would've bounced, and a replay wouldn't answer that.

Bob Green
12-26-2015, 07:53 PM
I constantly rant about the need to run the ball. We had 373 yards rushing today with three players going over 100:

Sirk - 155

Wilson - 109

Duncan - 103

I'm happy!

Newton_14
12-26-2015, 07:58 PM
Woohoo!!! Love it! Go Duke! Don't give a hootie tootie what anyone thinks of the last kick, especially after our Miami debacle. In my eyes this team went 9-4. Thank goodness for Shaun Wilson!. Kid had one heck of a game. Props to him and our entire Running Back Stable! Well done guys! What a great way to close the season!

Go Duke!!!!

sagegrouse
12-26-2015, 08:00 PM
Almost as close as Gordon Haywood's shot. Almost expected Steve Harvey to come out and take the hat off of Cut. Gutty win and effort.

We EARNED that miss. The previous play would have been intentional grounding in any other game and in any other circumstance. What a crock!

sagegrouse
12-26-2015, 08:01 PM
Now does Parker Boehme get the win as the "pitcher of record" when Duke scored the winning points?

arnie
12-26-2015, 08:03 PM
I constantly rant about the need to run the ball. We had 373 yards rushing today with three players going over 100:

Sirk - 155

Wilson - 109

Duncan - 103

I'm happy!

Didn't see the stats - wow, didn't seem we had that many, but 2 very long runs do help. Think we stole one today, but about time,

fuse
12-26-2015, 08:07 PM
Elated. Need some time to process.

So happy for #DukeGang !!!!

Newton_14
12-26-2015, 08:09 PM

Sirk - 155

Wilson - 109

Duncan - 103

I'm happy!

Wow! I did not realize that Bob. Thanks for that info! I missed the first half so hope they replay it at some point. They moved the ball on us with ease a lot, but dang we torched their run defense!

If Sirk can become a better passer, the offense next year will be high octane!

Pghdukie
12-26-2015, 08:20 PM
Duke football reminds me of the movie "What about Bob". Baby steps. Coach has had a game plan that has takin time to evolve. I believe we have taken steps for a few years that are leading us in the right direction. Now we are recruiting top notch talent which years ago was not even dreamed of. Congrats to Coach and his entire program !

ricks68
12-26-2015, 08:20 PM
That deserves a Ninjabread Man at ABC. Wooooohooooooooo!!! We are outa here!:D

ricks

martydoesntfoul
12-26-2015, 08:24 PM
We EARNED that miss. The previous play would have been intentional grounding in any other game and in any other circumstance. What a crock!

No question about that. Again, strange Redding throughout. But as Cut said, it's a big fat W!!

blazindw
12-26-2015, 08:24 PM
Thread title changed to properly highlight that we the champs!

Cannot be happier for a group of people than I am not just for this team, but especially the seniors. The winningest class in Duke Football history goes out on top!

OldPhiKap
12-26-2015, 08:29 PM

Woot!

unclsam1
12-26-2015, 08:39 PM

25th per ESPN

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-26-2015, 08:40 PM
I want one of those beanies!

aswewere
12-26-2015, 09:01 PM
25th per ESPN

Here is one a little better, Cuts best so far. http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Dukes-2016-recruiting-class-3rd-in-ACC-22nd-nationally-41999572

dukelifer
12-26-2015, 09:20 PM

Well does this make up for the non- called foul on Boozer in 2002?

UrinalCake
12-26-2015, 09:27 PM
What an amazing game. Even though the score was within a touchdown for most of the game, it sort of felt like we were always playing from behind. Kind of reminiscient of the game vs. Texas A&M a couple years ago where it was like we had to assume they were going to score every time they got the ball.

I thought we would go for the two point conversion after our last score, but glad it all worked out. After so many close bowl losses it sure feels good to be on the winning side.

subzero02
12-26-2015, 09:40 PM
The last time we won a bowl, John F. Kennedy was over 2 weeks away from his inauguration.

miramar
12-26-2015, 10:03 PM
I have been watching slow motion replays of the kick and it certainly wasn't inside the goal posts.

The second view of the kick from below makes it seem that the ball was barely inside the goal post (extended), but that would be the distortion from the keystoning effect of the wide angle lens. In other words, the higher the object is (and farther from the lens) the closer it would appear to the middle of the image, but it's all an illusion.

That may sound crazy, but I swear I'm not making it up.

dukelifer
12-26-2015, 10:06 PM
I have been watching slow motion replays of the kick and it certainly wasn't inside the goal posts.

The second view of the kick from below makes it seem that the ball was barely inside the goal post (extended), but that would be the distortion from the keystoning effect of the wide angle lens. In other words, the higher the object is (and farther from the lens) the closer it would appear to the middle of the image, but it's all an illusion.

Is it related to the problem of measuring wingspan using cinder blocks?

cbarry
12-26-2015, 10:14 PM
Yup. Parallax effect.

uh_no
12-26-2015, 10:19 PM

This effectively demonstrates why the play is non-reviewable. It's not because it's a "judgement call" as much as because there is no camera angle that could possibly be better than a view directly under the goalpost.

Any other camera you see is off line, and thus is subject to all sorts of perspective/parallax/keystone issues as you point out. The only ways you could do this would be to:

1) somehow hang a camera off the bottom of the upright so that it didn't block the ref's view, directly in line with the upright
2) use video processing to stitch together two off-line cameras and use this to reconstruct the position of the ball through time, much like the stuff they use in tennis, and now soccer

IMO neither of these things are worth it given:
1) this rarely happens
2) there is no evidence that the refs get this call wrong....they literally just have to look up and see which side the ball went on....you don't have to pay attention to anything else
3) if it's close enough that you'd have trouble telling real time, like within an inch or so (any less than that and it would be easy to see looking straight up IMO), you'd have a tough time determining on camera anyway, even with a camera pointing straight up.

jimsumner
12-26-2015, 10:47 PM
The last time we won a bowl, John F. Kennedy was over 2 weeks away from his inauguration.

Pete Best was still the Beatles' drummer.

Duke won this on special teams. Wilson's KOR TD, the IU fumble on a punt, the missed FG. Three enormous special teams plays. And Ryan Smith had a nice punt return late that really helped.

Duke was hardly perfect on special teams. The on-sides kick and the fake punt were big gambles that failed. But in the aggregate Duke won on special teams, which helped offset IU's advantage in total yardage.

Little-known fact about that 1961 Cotton Bowl. No matter how many times TV announcers get it wrong, that game was not played on January 1, 1961. New Year's Day in 1961 was on a Sunday and colleges did not play on Sundays in those days, in any sport. So, the New Year's games were all played on Monday, the 2nd.

Which meant, I had school. Missed most of the game. Grrr. But saw the ending. Yea.

weezie
12-26-2015, 10:53 PM
Shaq Powell, thank you sir. You've been an inspiration and a fine, strong man. Bless you. Keep your eyes lifted, there's an angel in heaven cheering for you!

brevity
12-26-2015, 10:55 PM

This is true, but I don't think it's illustrative enough to those of us who weren't alive then. Is there a better way to show the passage of almost 55 years?

1. Keith Richards was 17 years old. Madonna was 2.
2. Dean Smith was an assistant coach.
3. Nelson Mandela was a year away from being arrested.
4. Don Draper was still married to Betty.
5. Erwin Schrödinger was still alive. Two days later, he was either alive or dead.

BD80
12-26-2015, 11:11 PM
... Is there a better way to show the passage of almost 55 years?

5. Erwin Schrödinger ... was either alive or dead.

Still true, but I'm not gonna open the box ...

devildeac
12-26-2015, 11:14 PM

Doesn't matter. The kicker's knee was down anyway...

:rolleyes:;)

OldPhiKap
12-26-2015, 11:25 PM
"The fiaal play is not reviewable. Game over"

50/50 on those calls for the year (although I think we were on the right side both times).

killerleft
12-26-2015, 11:31 PM
Yip! Just saw the finish due to a loooong trip up I-85 today after starting in Gadsden, AL. I almost watched the end of the game in real time upon arrival, but wanted to see the whole thing on DVR.

Finally won one of these bowl games! That Blue Devil Helmet has gotta stay!!!

devildeac
12-26-2015, 11:32 PM
And (this may have been mentioned somewhere already) Miami loses their bowl game. I wonder if they had t-shirts printed for that one :rolleyes: .

OZ
12-26-2015, 11:47 PM
"The fiaal play is not reviewable. Game over"

50/50 on those calls for the year (although I think we were on the right side both times).

Actually, for me the story here is NOT a missed field goal, but rather a great group of guys, who played their butts off and came away with a very important "big fat W."
As far as the field goal is concerned, I am giving this man the last word... "Indiana coach Kevin Wilson said, 'the potential game-tying field goal wasn't good, despite his kicker's protestations.'"
And you want to know how long ago 1961 was? The only tv on campus that I could find to watch was in black and white :) And the winning touchdown pass was caught by All-America Tee Moorman, father of Dr. Tee Moorman, Duke's present team physician and surgeon.

monkey
12-27-2015, 02:26 AM
Strangely, because it looked as though that last field gold was hooking back towards being good (definitely wasn't from tv angle) ... And it had plenty of leg .... I wonder if the no-call on the intentional grounding actually won us the game ... With the play backed up a bit more I think that field goal would have hooked good

martydoesntfoul
12-27-2015, 02:47 AM
Shaq Powell, thank you sir. You've been an inspiration and a fine, strong man. Bless you. Keep your eyes lifted, there's an angel in heaven cheering for you!

Excellent comment Weezie. His play on the two point conversion that beat Va Tech should forever stand as an example of selfless, fully committed greatness. And more importantly, the way he handled personal tragedy speaks volume about his character. I wish him nothing but the best.

DevilWearsPrada
12-27-2015, 04:55 AM
Never a dull moment in the 2015 Pinstripe Bowl game!!!!!!!

Congratulations to Coach Cut, Coach Mo (Scottie) and the entire staff and the 2015 DUKEGANG Football Team for enduring and Finishing Strong with the Championship!!!!!!!!!!!

WE ARE DUKE !!!!!!

jv001
12-27-2015, 07:13 AM
Doesn't matter. The kicker's knee was down anyway...:rolleyes:;)

The holder's knee was down for sure, :cool: Great game guys. GoDuke!

Indoor66
12-27-2015, 07:22 AM
Is it related to the problem of measuring wingspan using cinder blocks?

No it is not the problem of measuring wingspan; it is the problem of the fact that cinder blocks do not fly. :cool:

Indoor66
12-27-2015, 07:33 AM
This is true, but I don't think it's illustrative enough to those of us who weren't alive then. Is there a better way to show the passage of almost 55 years?

1. Keith Richards was 17 years old. Madonna was 2.
2. Dean Smith was an assistant coach and was setting up his cheating scandal 'cause that new young coach in Durham was winning a lot of games. His name was Bubas.
3. Nelson Mandela was a year away from being arrested.
4. Don Draper was still married to Betty.
5. Erwin Schrödinger was still alive. Two days later, he was either alive or dead.

There, I fixed your omission. :cool:

AustinDevil
12-27-2015, 09:34 AM
Strangely, because it looked as though that last field gold was hooking back towards being good (definitely wasn't from tv angle) ... And it had plenty of leg ... I wonder if the no-call on the intentional grounding actually won us the game ... With the play backed up a bit more I think that field goal would have hooked good

It is a fallacy to assume that the kicker would have struck the ball in exactly the same manner had the kick occurred from ten yards back.

richardjackson199
12-27-2015, 09:37 AM
Any update on the severity of Sirk's knee injury? It looked bad on the field. I just heard Cut explained he was done for the game, but that it was not horrific. I'm hoping no ligament damage. I'm sure he would prefer focusing off-season efforts on improving his throwing mechanics rather than several months of rehab.

Congrats to Duke on such a huge, gratifying, important win for the program. (The kick was no good).

cspan37421
12-27-2015, 09:41 AM
Let's get one thing straight - Indiana's missed field goal is in no sense the flipside of the Miami game's last play, nor does it "make up for it". That was wrongly officiated, and wrongly reviewed, in so many ways it's exhausting. This was a judgment call that could have gone either way, even if it could be reviewed. It wasn't like they missed that it went between the uprights.

Kudos to Cutcliffe & Co for ending the long drought. The guys showed a lot of heart out there. I look forward to more progress, including having confidence in the team to win straight up without having to resort to so many low-probability-of-success trick plays. My son tells me that on twitter a Duke fan grumbled, "Predictable trick plays are predictable". Nothing wrong with a trick play, but the element of surprise is key in having them succeed. Surprise can be both in the timing (when deployed) and the particular play deployed. If you're going to run them so often, come up with some new ones, at least!

Better yet, be good enough to win straight up without trickery.

Anyway kudos fellas!

fisheyes
12-27-2015, 09:43 AM
Quote of the day:

From today's NY Times...

Attributed to Indiana's AD Fred Glass:

"Duke football is really a model for where Indiana football wants to go."

'Nuff said!

Congrats to the players, the coaches, and DUKE!!!

TKG
12-27-2015, 10:54 AM
Watched the game with my Dad who was a member of the 1961 Cotton Bowl team. Made it very special indeed.

Saratoga2
12-27-2015, 11:03 AM
Both teams showed a lot of heart and Duke was able to win this game fair and square through special teams play while being pushed around by their offensive line, run game and passing attack throughout the game. Duke made just enough plays to get the job done. Perhaps an upgrade in the passing attack and defense will put the team even further ahead in coming years. The recruiting has to be helped by a bowl win played in Yankee stadium.

fuse
12-27-2015, 11:53 AM
Watched the game with my Dad who was a member of the 1961 Cotton Bowl team. Made it very special indeed.

Pretty sure TKG wins the thread, hands down.
Gave me chills to read that.

ChillinDuke
12-27-2015, 12:18 PM
What a game!

Congrats, Devils. You guys earned this one.

Another great bowl game for Duke to be involved in. Was a blast in person and presume it was just as fun to watch on TV.

Anyone have information on how Duke faired in terms of attendance and TV ratings? Seemed like a decent crowd at Yankee Stadium although it was tough to gauge given the layout of the baseball stadium for football viewing.

- Chillin

richardjackson199
12-27-2015, 12:28 PM
Anyone have information on how Duke faired in terms of attendance and TV ratings?...

- Chillin

I got this link from the front page article

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/27/sports/ncaafootball/duke-beats-indiana-at-yankee-stadium-pinstripe-bowl.html?ref=sports&_r=0

AustinDevil
12-27-2015, 12:28 PM
Hey, can anyone in attendance yesterday comment on the Duke crowd? They showed zero crowd reaction shots and almost no angles with the Duke side of the stadium in the shot at all. I know the NYT was disappointed with the drop in attendance from last year (as if Duke-IU was going to match Notre Dame-Rutgers), but I'm curious how our turnout really was.

Edit: Yep, the two posts above came in while I was typing. Weird thing for the Times to focus on in the headline and lede, given that Duke ending a 55-year bowl drought and Indiana barely missing a game-extending field goal were big storylines.

Olympic Fan
12-27-2015, 01:05 PM
Just got back from holiday with the family, so this is my first chance to post postgame. A few comments:

-- The field goal. Was it wide or was it good? I honestly don't know. But I do know that the person with the best view in the world is the ref standing under that upright. The kicker -- and the TV camera from behind -- show the ball slicing ... it's impossible for either the kicker or the TV camera to pinpoint where the ball was the moment it passed over the goal post. The only person with the perfect view was the ref standing underneath the upright. Even if the play could be reviewed, I don't see any way the replay was conclusive enough to overturn the call on the field.

-- Coverage. I was amused when Randy Galloway went off on his rant about how Indiana kept attacking DeVon Edwards. "Why don't they test the guy on the other side rather than keep testing their best defensive back?" Well, I think the answer was that the Indiana coaches have looked at the film and know that Duke has one exceptional cover corner -- Breon Borders. Edwards might be a better all-around DB when you take into account run support and his prowess as a kick returner, but when it comes to covering a receiver, nobody in Duke blue is close to Borders. I thought Edwards had his moments against Indiana, but he also got beat a lot. So did the safeties -- Carter, McCarthy and Singleton. By my count, Borders' man was targeted three times. He gave up one completion on a quick slant and broke up the other two passes. That's been his MO all season. Go back and rewatch the UNC game (I can't bring myself to do it). Borders gave up one competition in that game -- but mostly UNC threw to the other side or attacked the safeties. That's the issue -- despite what Galloway suggested, teams have attacked the other corner (whether Saxton, McDuffie or Edwards) and the safeties and stayed away from Borders.

We put a lot of blame on our coverage guys and some of it is deserved. But understand that they have had to work with one of the worst pass rushes in college football. That could make anybody look bad.

-- Sirk. I've heard a lot of griping about Sirk and his inconsistent passing, especially his inability to throw deep. That certainly has been an issue for most of the season -- and in the Indiana game. But appreciate him for what he brings to the table, He's the best running quarterback Duke has had since Mike Dunn in the mid-1970s. He finished with over 3450 yards total offense -- the second best season total in Duke history (third in total yards per game). He threw 16 touchdowns with eight interceptions all season. Only one QB in Duke history has throw for 2,000 plus yards with less interceptions and when Thad Lewis did it in 2008, he threw for 600 yards less than Sirk.

And I would argue that Sirk has had to operate with the weakest set of receivers Duke has had in the Cutcliffe era. There is no Eron Riley, Donovan Varner, Connor Vernon or Jamison Crowder. TJ Rahming has the potential to be that good, but he's not there yet. Max McCaffrey is a good solid possession type receiver, but not really a playmaker. Johnnell Barnes had talent, but he was inconsistent, even before he was kicked off the team. Braxton Deaver never regained the level he had in 2013 -- he had numerous drops and had some rout-running issues.

And give Sirk credit for this -- he was excellent in the clutch. His play in the four overtimes at VPI; his last six minutes against Miami (two long TD drives in the last six minutes of that game) and in the final three minutes against Indiana, when he matched the team 75 yards to score the tying TD.

Yeah, there are things I hope he can improve in the offseason -- his tendency to rush his throws and to make the conservative read; his trouble connecting on the deep throw -- but I'm pumped about having him back next year -- if Rahming improves as you'd expect; Bracey lives up to the hype and Helm is as good as the players say -- the passing game could be much better ... and with Wilson and Duncan returning -- along with Sirk -- the running game should remain a force.

-- Farewell to Ross Martin, clearly the greatest placekicker in Duke history. More field goals (78) and the best FG percentage in Duke history (83.9 percent) ... His 51-yarder against Indiana was the 8th 50-plus yard field goal in his career -- the most in Duke history (and he was 8-of-10 from beyond 50). Will Munday also leaves with the best career punting average in Duke history. Two big assets that we have to replace next season.

Overall, great to get the win ... a loss would have been really frustrating with the botched fake punt, the two questionable pass interference penalties on Edwards to keep drives alive and the blatant pass interference against them that wasn't called to kill a Duke drive. Not a perfect game by any means, but still you gotta love how tough the team fought and how they prevailed.

Now let's make sure Cut can hold on to this recruiting pass (and to answer the question asked earlier in the thread, yes, it is exceptional -- more four-star commits this year than in Cut's first seven recruiting classes combined!). The other order of business is to find a bright, innovative offensive coordinator (loved Scottie as a person, a recruiter and a teacher, but never thought he was that good as a play-caller).

devildeac
12-27-2015, 01:05 PM
No it is not the problem of measuring wingspan; it is the problem of the fact that cinder blocks do not fly. :cool:

And, I suppose you think that pigs do...

;)

Indoor66
12-27-2015, 01:51 PM
Pretty sure TKG wins the thread, hands down.
Gave me chills to read that.

I'm with you on that one. Congrats to tb TGB, his dad and the DUKE Team.

magjayran
12-27-2015, 02:13 PM
This Christmas, I was gifted EnChroma colorblindness by my extended family in Duke Gardens. I got to see a full-range of reds and greens for the first time in my life. Then on the way out, I dropped to one knee and proposed by the fountain. Then Duke won a bowl game. There will never be a better Christmas than this one.

Oh yeah and I got a Soda Stream too.

CameronBornAndBred
12-27-2015, 02:19 PM
Replay is on today at 4. (ESPNU)

OldPhiKap
12-27-2015, 07:10 PM
Just got back from holiday with the family, so this is my first chance to post postgame. A few comments:

-- The field goal. Was it wide or was it good? I honestly don't know. But I do know that the person with the best view in the world is the ref standing under that upright. The kicker -- and the TV camera from behind -- show the ball slicing ... it's impossible for either the kicker or the TV camera to pinpoint where the ball was the moment it passed over the goal post. The only person with the perfect view was the ref standing underneath the upright. Even if the play could be reviewed, I don't see any way the replay was conclusive enough to overturn the call on the field.

-- Coverage. I was amused when Randy Galloway went off on his rant about how Indiana kept attacking DeVon Edwards. "Why don't they test the guy on the other side rather than keep testing their best defensive back?" Well, I think the answer was that the Indiana coaches have looked at the film and know that Duke has one exceptional cover corner -- Breon Borders. Edwards might be a better all-around DB when you take into account run support and his prowess as a kick returner, but when it comes to covering a receiver, nobody in Duke blue is close to Borders. I thought Edwards had his moments against Indiana, but he also got beat a lot. So did the safeties -- Carter, McCarthy and Singleton. By my count, Borders' man was targeted three times. He gave up one completion on a quick slant and broke up the other two passes. That's been his MO all season. Go back and rewatch the UNC game (I can't bring myself to do it). Borders gave up one competition in that game -- but mostly UNC threw to the other side or attacked the safeties. That's the issue -- despite what Galloway suggested, teams have attacked the other corner (whether Saxton, McDuffie or Edwards) and the safeties and stayed away from Borders.

We put a lot of blame on our coverage guys and some of it is deserved. But understand that they have had to work with one of the worst pass rushes in college football. That could make anybody look bad.

-- Sirk. I've heard a lot of griping about Sirk and his inconsistent passing, especially his inability to throw deep. That certainly has been an issue for most of the season -- and in the Indiana game. But appreciate him for what he brings to the table, He's the best running quarterback Duke has had since Mike Dunn in the mid-1970s. He finished with over 3450 yards total offense -- the second best season total in Duke history (third in total yards per game). He threw 16 touchdowns with eight interceptions all season. Only one QB in Duke history has throw for 2,000 plus yards with less interceptions and when Thad Lewis did it in 2008, he threw for 600 yards less than Sirk.

And I would argue that Sirk has had to operate with the weakest set of receivers Duke has had in the Cutcliffe era. There is no Eron Riley, Donovan Varner, Connor Vernon or Jamison Crowder. TJ Rahming has the potential to be that good, but he's not there yet. Max McCaffrey is a good solid possession type receiver, but not really a playmaker. Johnnell Barnes had talent, but he was inconsistent, even before he was kicked off the team. Braxton Deaver never regained the level he had in 2013 -- he had numerous drops and had some rout-running issues.

And give Sirk credit for this -- he was excellent in the clutch. His play in the four overtimes at VPI; his last six minutes against Miami (two long TD drives in the last six minutes of that game) and in the final three minutes against Indiana, when he matched the team 75 yards to score the tying TD.

Yeah, there are things I hope he can improve in the offseason -- his tendency to rush his throws and to make the conservative read; his trouble connecting on the deep throw -- but I'm pumped about having him back next year -- if Rahming improves as you'd expect; Bracey lives up to the hype and Helm is as good as the players say -- the passing game could be much better ... and with Wilson and Duncan returning -- along with Sirk -- the running game should remain a force.

-- Farewell to Ross Martin, clearly the greatest placekicker in Duke history. More field goals (78) and the best FG percentage in Duke history (83.9 percent) ... His 51-yarder against Indiana was the 8th 50-plus yard field goal in his career -- the most in Duke history (and he was 8-of-10 from beyond 50). Will Munday also leaves with the best career punting average in Duke history. Two big assets that we have to replace next season.

Overall, great to get the win ... a loss would have been really frustrating with the botched fake punt, the two questionable pass interference penalties on Edwards to keep drives alive and the blatant pass interference against them that wasn't called to kill a Duke drive. Not a perfect game by any means, but still you gotta love how tough the team fought and how they prevailed.

Now let's make sure Cut can hold on to this recruiting pass (and to answer the question asked earlier in the thread, yes, it is exceptional -- more four-star commits this year than in Cut's first seven recruiting classes combined!). The other order of business is to find a bright, innovative offensive coordinator (loved Scottie as a person, a recruiter and a teacher, but never thought he was that good as a play-caller).

Ridiculously good post Oly. Kudos and thanks.

jimsumner
12-27-2015, 09:20 PM

Good point about the wide receivers. McCaffrey was more than solid, Rahming was very good for a true freshman and Nash was a pleasant surprise.

But coming out of spring ball, we were told that Barnes, Alls and Taylor would be the play-makers. Barnes had a great opening game at Tulane and then fell victim to the bad habits that had plagued him previously, e.g. casual route running and drops. Then he was gone. Alls? We barely knew you. Taylor battled injury problems but didn't produce much when he was healthy.

With McCaffrey graduating, Nash will be the only Duke receiver with any real experience on the 2016 team and he has less experience than one would suspect for a fifth-year senior.

Smith has had modest success, while I do not believe Chambers has ever caught a pass in a real game.

So, that's going to leave it up to the youngsters. Rahming will be a true sophomore, while it's time for Taylor and Trevon Lee to step up as redshirt sophomores. Lloyd will also be a redshirt sophomore, albeit at a new position.

But the real chance for dramatic improvement may come from redshirt freshman Keyston Fuller and Aaron Young and touted true freshman Scott Bracey. Lots of potential in this group but we thought the same thing about Barnes.

Rahming and Nash should be fixtures at WR next year and Duke only needs three or so of the other guys to step up and Duke should have a better wide-receiver rotation next season. But it's going to be young and most of these guys have to make the transition from potential to production.

Another word on DeVon Edwards. The announcers kept referring to him as a veteran cornerback. He's a veteran defensive back, to be sure. But most of that time has been at safety and his corner coverage skills are still a work in progress.

If Edwards stays at corner next season--and that's the plan--what happens to Bryon Fields? I always thought he was better against the run than against the pass. Maybe, he's a candidate to move to safety.

And keep in mind that Cut has no problem playing true freshmen at DB. So, Singleton, Gilbert, et. al. could see the field early and often next season.

sagegrouse
12-28-2015, 12:29 AM
Sirk goes down in the OT period; Duke settles for a FG. You can almost feel the Hoosiers licking their chops at a certain victory. Only, here comes the Duke defense:

1st and 10 at DUKE 25 (OT) -- Nate Sudfeld pass complete to Mitchell Paige for 2 yds to the Duke 23
2nd and 8 at DUKE 23 (OT) -- Mitchell Paige run for 2 yds to the Duke 21
3rd and 6 at DUKE 21 (OT) -- Nate Sudfeld pass incomplete to Mike Majette

Which brings about the topper:

4th and 6 at DUKE 21 (OT) -- Griffin Oakes 38 yd FG MISSED
It was an amazing series of plays by a defense that had had a tough night and then rose to the occasion.

Devilwin
12-28-2015, 05:42 AM
The defense, much maligned of late, came through, and so did Sirk, who I admit I've given hell to.
Good job boys, thanks for showing me I don't know everything...Yet..

budwom
12-28-2015, 09:11 AM
A most enjoyable win. Lots of fun in Yankee Stadium.
Yes, Sirk brings a whole lot to the table, definitely an unconventional QB. My main gripe is
that early in the season, Cut absolutely raved about his ability to throw deep....but in fact Sirk was consistently awful (and that's the only fair word to use) on
deep throws. And as much as I am hesitant to agree with TV announcers, their criticism that Sirk consistently shows poor throwing form is correct; I can't help but
wonder why Cut hasn't been able to improve on this...

Having said that, most of the way thru the game I believe the scoreboard showed the stat that Sirk was 11 for 27 for 99 yards, and he had some absolutely horrible
throws.....at that moment I would have bet my house he wouldn't be co-MVP of the game....and now I'd be homeless. So thanks, Thomas! He sure doesn't lack in courage.

The attendance was listed at 37k or so (down from 49k last year) and I think that was pretty generous (no doubt included tickets sold but not necessarily occupied).
But the crowd was enthusiastic....probably more like 25-27k in reality.

duke blue brewcrew
12-28-2015, 09:39 AM
I was -10yrs old the last time Duke Football won a bowl game. My parents hadn't even met yet. To see Duke finally bring home a bowl victory is nothing short of a bucket list experience for me. As a fan, I'm elated! I'm thrilled for the program, for the coaching staff, and for the players. I'm grateful for the blood, sweat, and tears they've invested to make this a reality. As Coach Cut said after the game, "it wasn't always pretty...but it's a BIG FAT W!"

I hope Sirk heals up quickly. Has his injury been announced? Like others, I hope he heals quickly, so that he can work on improving his throwing motion and deep ball abilities in the off-season. The kid has serious stones, and brings a lot to the table. He's dangerous with his legs, if he can bring that same kind of danger with his arm, oh what a weapon he would be! A victory like this can create some tremendous momentum for the program. Starting with recruiting, and instilling the idea that Duke Football is a successful program which expects to win with current and future players. With hard work and execution, Duke should have plenty of returning talent to make it two bowl wins in a row next year.

CONGRATS DUKE FOOTBALL, TO DUKE FANS EVERYWHERE WHO HAVE WAITED A VERY LONG TIME TO SEE THIS HAPPEN...MAN IT FEELS GOOD!

Lar77
12-28-2015, 10:36 AM
Sirk goes down in the OT period; Duke settles for a FG. You can almost feel the Hoosiers licking their chops at a certain victory. Only, here comes the Duke defense:

It was an amazing series of plays by a defense that had had a tough night and then rose to the occasion.

Don't forget holding them after we tied the game with a minute left.

Big W for the program and for all involved.

jimsumner
12-28-2015, 11:46 AM
I was -10yrs old the last time Duke Football won a bowl game. My parents hadn't even met yet. To see Duke finally bring home a bowl victory is nothing short of a bucket list experience for me. As a fan, I'm elated! I'm thrilled for the program, for the coaching staff, and for the players. I'm grateful for the blood, sweat, and tears they've invested to make this a reality. As Coach Cut said after the game, "it wasn't always pretty...but it's a BIG FAT W!"

I hope Sirk heals up quickly. Has his injury been announced? Like others, I hope he heals quickly, so that he can work on improving his throwing motion and deep ball abilities in the off-season. The kid has serious stones, and brings a lot to the table. He's dangerous with his legs, if he can bring that same kind of danger with his arm, oh what a weapon he would be! A victory like this can create some tremendous momentum for the program. Starting with recruiting, and instilling the idea that Duke Football is a successful program which expects to win with current and future players. With hard work and execution, Duke should have plenty of returning talent to make it two bowl wins in a row next year.

CONGRATS DUKE FOOTBALL, TO DUKE FANS EVERYWHERE WHO HAVE WAITED A VERY LONG TIME TO SEE THIS HAPPEN...MAN IT FEELS GOOD!

It took me a couple of readings to see the minus before the 10. Which kept me from going crazy trying to figure out how you were 10 years old when your parents hadn't met yet. :)

Olympic Fan
12-28-2015, 12:23 PM
I watched the replay Sunday night on ESPNU.

The one thing I picked up on was the final field goal. I replayed that about a dozen times. The spot on the kick was from the right hash mark -- which is outside the goal post. The ball APPEARED to cross right over the post, but as it comes down it's still on the right side (looking from the kicker's perspective) of the post. It's close, but definite. So the ball started out outside the goal post (based on the spot) and ended up outside the goal post ... unless it curved like a banana (which is possible) it was never inside the post.

I couldn't swear that the kick was no good, but I repeat what I said earlier -- that even if it was reviewable, there was not nearly enough evidence on the replay shots that were shown Saturday to overturn the call.

sagegrouse
12-28-2015, 12:31 PM

The one thing I picked up on was the final field goal. I replayed that about a dozen times. The spot on the kick was from the right hash mark -- which is outside the goal post. The ball APPEARED to cross right over the post, but as it comes down it's still on the right side (looking from the kicker's perspective) of the post. It's close, but definite. So the ball started out outside the goal post (based on the spot) and ended up outside the goal post ... unless it curved like a banana (which is possible) it was never inside the post.

I couldn't swear that the kick was no good, but I repeat what I said earlier -- that even if it was reviewable, there was not nearly enough evidence on the replay shots that were shown Saturday to overturn the call.

My evidence is indirect. (a) The official was in perfect position and was perfectly able to judge whether the ball was entirely within the vertical projection of the goal post; he quickly signaled "no good." (b) Check me on this, but didn't the Duke defense start going bananas even before the official's signal?

CameronBornAndBred
12-28-2015, 12:39 PM
My evidence is indirect. (a) The official was in perfect position and was perfectly able to judge whether the ball was entirely within the vertical projection of the goal post; he quickly signaled "no good." (b) Check me on this, but didn't the Duke defense start going bananas even before the official's signal?
My dad said later during a phone call, "The best play Duke made all day was running immediately onto the field.". :cool:

Brian913
12-28-2015, 04:20 PM
Hey, can anyone in attendance yesterday comment on the Duke crowd? They showed zero crowd reaction shots and almost no angles with the Duke side of the stadium in the shot at all. I know the NYT was disappointed with the drop in attendance from last year (as if Duke-IU was going to match Notre Dame-Rutgers), but I'm curious how our turnout really was.

Edit: Yep, the two posts above came in while I was typing. Weird thing for the Times to focus on in the headline and lede, given that Duke ending a 55-year bowl drought and Indiana barely missing a game-extending field goal were big storylines.

The bodies in the stadium in the stadium were a lot less than posted. The upper deck (20000 seats) was basically empty. The field level & second level were maybe 1/2 full. I would guess less than 20,000 in the stands.

Duke's allotment was less than 6000 tickets, and only sold out because of the "donate a ticket" deal. Maybe 5-7K Duke fans in the crowd.

duke blue brewcrew
12-28-2015, 04:59 PM
It took me a couple of readings to see the minus before the 10. Which kept me from going crazy trying to figure out how you were 10 years old when your parents hadn't met yet. :)

HA! I wondered if I should've put the minus sign in parenthesis, maybe that would've made it easier to read

budwom
12-28-2015, 05:00 PM
The bodies in the stadium in the stadium were a lot less than posted. The upper deck (20000 seats) was basically empty. The field level & second level were maybe 1/2 full. I would guess less than 20,000 in the stands.

Duke's allotment was less than 6000 tickets, and only sold out because of the "donate a ticket" deal. Maybe 5-7K Duke fans in the crowd.

I read they announced 37k, but that obviously had to include tickets sold, not just bodies in seats....I'd guess a bit closer to 25,000....the upper part of the upper deck was closed, but the
lower portion had a decent number of fans, me among them....our tickets were in the middle deck on the 50 yard line, but we moved up to the lower portion of the upper deck, and the
view of the game there was spectacular.

Mal
12-28-2015, 05:17 PM
is that for the first time in our 4 year string of bowl appearances, we weren't playing as the clear underdog, and this was easily the weakest of the opponents drawn in those 4 games. I think we overachieved a little bit last year and 2013, and were rewarded for it with invites to pretty good bowls, but at the price of high caliber opponents. Having no institutional memory of how to go about winning a bowl game, and no players who've won bowl games, having to face Johnny Football when trying to break through is a pretty tall task.

In '12, recall, we were 3-5 in conference and 6-6 overall, but slid upward to the Belk Bowl due to a lack of bowl eligible ACC teams. So we played a 9-3 Cinci team that, although from a weak and imploding conference, had two of its three losses in very tight games to ranked teams, and had beaten Pitt, Syracuse and VT (who throttled Duke that season), so it was almost as though they had as many ACC wins as we did. In '13, we were ranked close to where TAMU was ranked, but they'd finished the prior season #5 with the same QB and I think everyone knew they were significantly more talented than our Devils. [As an aside, the first half of that game may have been the most fun I've ever had watching football, while we wiped that *#$^-eating grin off Manziel's face. Second half, not so much fun.] Then last season, we rode a soft schedule to a division title, which was great, but left us facing another 9 win team that spent the entire season in the top 25, with 4 victories against ranked teams, including a thrashing of #8 Notre Dame.

High quality opponents all, and great achievements to get to those games. But it was helpful to not have to face a similar team this year in gunning for that first bowl win to get over the hump. Had we won that Miami game, and you flip the two of us in the bowls, I wouldn't have felt as comfortable against Washington State and Mike Leach. Indiana, who themselves hadn't won a bowl game in a quarter century and have a history of losing close games late because they just can't get a stop when it matters, was just what the doctor ordered.

Avvocato
12-28-2015, 06:27 PM
I read they announced 37k, but that obviously had to include tickets sold, not just bodies in seats...I'd guess a bit closer to 25,000...the upper part of the upper deck was closed, but the
lower portion had a decent number of fans, me among them...our tickets were in the middle deck on the 50 yard line, but we moved up to the lower portion of the upper deck, and the
view of the game there was spectacular.

I was at the game as well. One thing to note about the new Yankee Stadium, and this is an issue at Yankee games as well, as you can't always judge the attendance by who sits in the seats (unfortunately). The way the new Stadium is configured, many people watch the games by the concessions standing up looking out onto the field, hanging out. Others are in some of the various clubs/lounges around the stadium (Audi Club, Mohegan Sports Bar, etc. - I doubt the Legends Club was open for the bowl game). I agree that 25K sounds about right. No way there were 37,000 people there (the announced attendance). But you don't often get a real feel of the true attendance in the stadium the way you used to just by looking at the seats. I sat in the 200's by the Duke sections, and they seemed fairly well attended. With that said, I had empty seats around me, which my friend and I selfishly enjoyed having.

As for the game, very entertaining and great to be at a Duke bowl win. We were around the 40 yard line, so I had no angle on the final kick. I reacted to the ref waiving the kick no good and watching the team celebrate (though I held my celebration in check for a moment when I saw Indiana protesting). On the big screen, the angle from behind the goal post looked like the kick was just outside. The angle from below the goal post looked like it could have just squeaked in. No way replay could have overturned it. I also don't care. Great win. It was also great to see how much joy the team showed and how much the win meant to everyone. After the recent bowl heartache, great to see the team end up on the winning side.

I have not always been a Sirk supporter, and I'm still not convinced he is the right guy to lead the team next season. However, this is not the time to get into that issue. I will say this about Sirk, whatever I think of his quarterback play, the best compliment I can give him is that he seems to play his best at crunch time (not every game, but who does). I tip my cap to him for hanging in there and making some of his best throws when we needed them most and getting the job done. Nice job by the offensive line creating holes for our guys to run the way we did. It's not by accident you get three different 100 yard rushers. Great team win, and an important win to finish off the season as we head into the stretch run of recruiting and signing day. Great to end up 8-5, a bowl win on National TV in an entertaining game (again) against a Power 5 team. Best of luck to Cut and the coaches to hold on to the recruiting class and also hopefully nabbing a couple of final jewels, if possible (I'm looking at you, Prince Sammons).

This definitely rid the bad taste of that 4-game losing streak. Congrats again to the team. Well deserved.

Reilly
12-28-2015, 06:47 PM

Carter#37 had some important stops in the 4th quarter, too. Neat to see Humphries/Kelby Brown with one of the final tackles of the night -- Kelby going out with a bang.

Yes, Sirk brings a whole lot to the table, definitely an unconventional QB. My main gripe is
that early in the season, Cut absolutely raved about his ability to throw deep ...

In 2010 (I think), Cut said we had the finest defensive staff in the country -- that was shortly before our D was a hot mess and Hobby was jettisoned (it seems). When Connette was a freshman (even before, when BC reported in Jan of his h.s. senior year, I think), Cut said he'd be playing on Sundays. And yes, this pre-season, Cut said Sirk throws a beautiful deep ball. He does, just not accurately. You gotta know when Cut is being Cut. The man is a grocer's son who now makes a couple million bucks a year coaching football; he took the doormat FBS program to an ACC divisional championship and four straight highly entertaining bowls, and he has a lot of guys playing on Sundays now. He said he's here to win championships. He sets large goals, pumps folks up, and instills confidence and makes people their best, and they achieve at high levels for him. And sometimes he does that through the media. And sometimes there's a little bit of puffery to his statements, to calculated effect, I think. He's generally so honest; he's not a BSer ... but he does pump up and oversell a bit, consciously, I'm thinking.

The one thing I picked up on was the final field goal. I replayed that about a dozen times. The spot on the kick was from the right hash mark ...

My evidence is indirect. (a) The official was in perfect position and was perfectly able to judge whether the ball was entirely within the vertical projection of the goal post; he quickly signaled "no good." ...

Here's my thing: I saw a sports science segment that showed if Gordon Hayward's shot is 1.3 or some such inches this way or that way or something, it goes in ... don't we have the technology and physics-know-how and enough camera angles that we could triangulate to get at some pretty definitive answer now.

is that for the first time in our 4 year string of bowl appearances, we weren't playing as the clear underdog, ...

Even if the Miami game were rightly counted as a Duke win, I don't think we go to El Paso, since we were there last year. In short, with the Miami win, we would have qualified for a tier 1 bowl -- which is exactly what we did with the Miami game counting as a loss.

Kfanarmy
12-28-2015, 06:50 PM
is that for the first time in our 4 year string of bowl appearances, we weren't playing as the clear underdog, and this was easily the weakest of the opponents drawn in those 4 games. I think we overachieved a little bit last year and 2013, and were rewarded for it with invites to pretty good bowls, but at the price of high caliber opponents. Having no institutional memory of how to go about winning a bowl game, and no players who've won bowl games, having to face Johnny Football when trying to break through is a pretty tall task.

In '12, recall, we were 3-5 in conference and 6-6 overall, but slid upward to the Belk Bowl due to a lack of bowl eligible ACC teams. So we played a 9-3 Cinci team that, although from a weak and imploding conference, had two of its three losses in very tight games to ranked teams, and had beaten Pitt, Syracuse and VT (who throttled Duke that season), so it was almost as though they had as many ACC wins as we did. In '13, we were ranked close to where TAMU was ranked, but they'd finished the prior season #5 with the same QB and I think everyone knew they were significantly more talented than our Devils. [As an aside, the first half of that game may have been the most fun I've ever had watching football, while we wiped that *#$^-eating grin off Manziel's face. Second half, not so much fun.] Then last season, we rode a soft schedule to a division title, which was great, but left us facing another 9 win team that spent the entire season in the top 25, with 4 victories against ranked teams, including a thrashing of #8 Notre Dame.

High quality opponents all, and great achievements to get to those games. But it was helpful to not have to face a similar team this year in gunning for that first bowl win to get over the hump. Had we won that Miami game, and you flip the two of us in the bowls, I wouldn't have felt as comfortable against Washington State and Mike Leach. Indiana, who themselves hadn't won a bowl game in a quarter century and have a history of losing close games late because they just can't get a stop when it matters, was just what the doctor ordered.

Weird to see a Duke fan be glad that their team isn't facing the best in any sport. The exposure Duke football got playing Johnny football was likely worth more to the program than the IU win will prove to be.

sagegrouse
12-28-2015, 06:58 PM
Here's my thing: I saw a sports science segment that showed if Gordon Hayward's shot is 1.3 or some such inches this way or that way or something, it goes in ... don't we have the technology and physics-know-how and enough camera angles that we could triangulate to get at some pretty definitive answer now.

Absolutely, we have the technology. We could set up special cameras and the like. Point is, why bother? When did the refs ever, EVER miss a field goal call? I don't think they missed this one.

Kfanarmy
12-28-2015, 06:59 PM

Well. You could put a guy directly under the upright looking straight up to see if the ball is inside or outside the centerline and then believe his call...oh wait!

Seriously I think eventually they'll put sensors along the side and goal lines and some sort of passive emitter or reflector on the ball...could be done with the goal posts as well.

Indoor66
12-28-2015, 07:01 PM
Well. You could put a guy directly under the upright looking straight up to see if the ball is inside or outside the centerline and then believe his call...oh wait!

Seriously I think eventually they'll put sensors along the side and goal lines and some sort of passive emitter or reflector on the ball...could be done with the goal posts as well.

Why? Thousands of dollars for a call that is already made correctly by the Refs positioning and eyesight. That is nuts.

kcduke75
12-28-2015, 07:18 PM
It is easy, it is like calling offsides on a kickoff. It has never been done incorrectly!

Reilly
12-28-2015, 07:44 PM
Absolutely, we have the technology. We could set up special cameras and the like. Point is, why bother? ...

I wasn't clear. I am not advocating lots of technological upgrade for coming football games. I was suggesting that someone -- sports science? -- can take the video evidence and photographs that we have from Saturday, and let us know where the ball was. In the same way that the sports scientists told us that Hayward's shot would've gone in if this, that, or the other.

We have video and photographs and clocks and reference points and the laws of physics and the exact distance the ball traveled -- can somebody plot this all out?

OldPhiKap
12-28-2015, 07:46 PM
It is easy, it is like calling offsides on a kickoff. It has never been done incorrectly!

"kcduke75, I have a Mr. Fedora for you on line one . . . ."

;-)

DU82
12-28-2015, 07:49 PM
I was at the game as well. One thing to note about the new Yankee Stadium, and this is an issue at Yankee games as well, as you can't always judge the attendance by who sits in the seats (unfortunately). The way the new Stadium is configured, many people watch the games by the concessions standing up looking out onto the field, hanging out. Others are in some of the various clubs/lounges around the stadium (Audi Club, Mohegan Sports Bar, etc. - I doubt the Legends Club was open for the bowl game). I agree that 25K sounds about right. No way there were 37,000 people there (the announced attendance). But you don't often get a real feel of the true attendance in the stadium the way you used to just by looking at the seats. I sat in the 200's by the Duke sections, and they seemed fairly well attended. With that said, I had empty seats around me, which my friend and I selfishly enjoyed having.

The Legends Club was open, fairly full, and nice and warm during halftime. Outside the club in the seats, it started reasonably full (not packed) but dwindled as more people went inside and watched the game they were attending on TV.

Reilly
12-28-2015, 07:55 PM
... as more people went inside and watched the game they were attending on TV.

That actually sounds pretty good -- better than people watching their phones while attending a game, which is what I mostly see these days.

OldPhiKap
12-28-2015, 08:04 PM
Football stadiums are built for watching football. Yankee Stadium is bolt for watching baseball.

It was odd, after pulling up the track at Wally Wade, to be even further from the field in the Duke section at the ballpark. So I am not surprised if some went inside and watched on the tube.

Hard to judge the attendance, agreed.

luvdahops
12-28-2015, 08:05 PM
The Legends Club was open, fairly full, and nice and warm during halftime. Outside the club in the seats, it started reasonably full (not packed) but dwindled as more people went inside and watched the game they were attending on TV.

I sat in 218b with access to the Delta Sky 360 Suite and had similar observations.

Mal
12-28-2015, 10:22 PM
Weird to see a Duke fan be glad that their team isn't facing the best in any sport. The exposure Duke football got playing Johnny football was likely worth more to the program than the IU win will prove to be.

Call me a realist. That was a unique circumstance, including the fact that we were better/healthier/more experienced at QB two years ago. The great exposure we got in that TAMU game was also totally dependent on hanging with them. If the whole game had gone like the second half, I don't think it would have been a positive branding experience at all. The impression would have been "Not ready for relevance. Nerds." For instance, I don't think getting trucked by the best team (or close to it) on a big national stage served us all that well last year.

This year was different circumstances, and I felt somewhat relieved that we didn't have to punch above our weight class in the bowl game. Playing up within reason for this year's squad would have meant playing an "others receiving votes" sort of team, somebody without a lightning rod like Johnny Manziel or a superstar like Jameis Winston, and probably not on New Year's Eve. I'll take a 60% chance of beating IU to a 60% chance of losing that game, when the upside's just not very big.

In other words, I'm all for playing a slightly "better" team, or stretching upwards, when the chances of demoralizing/humiliating blowout are small and we're not going for our first bowl victory in 55 years after losing three straight in heartbreaking or extremely frustrating fashion. We were faced with the prospect of starting to get labeled negatively here. Two or three in a row's a small sample size, but get to four bowl losses in consecutive years and it looks like a "problem" to outsiders.

Brian913
12-28-2015, 11:37 PM
Absolutely, we have the technology. We could set up special cameras and the like. Point is, why bother? When did the refs ever, EVER miss a field goal call? I don't think they missed this one.

Check the Packers Colts playoff game exactly 50 years earlier. A missed field goal call changed the size of the goal posts, and the placement of the officials. And cost the Colts a shot at the championship.

"articles.baltimoresun.com/1996-11-03/sports/1996308165_1_colts-packers-gary-cuozzo

weezie
12-28-2015, 11:44 PM
Did anyone find the knit pompom hats that the team was sporting after the game that actually had Duke or the D on them?
Saw the generic Pinstripe bowl hat but there's no D that I can see.

uh_no
12-29-2015, 12:20 AM
I wasn't clear. I am not advocating lots of technological upgrade for coming football games. I was suggesting that someone -- sports science? -- can take the video evidence and photographs that we have from Saturday, and let us know where the ball was. In the same way that the sports scientists told us that Hayward's shot would've gone in if this, that, or the other.

We have video and photographs and clocks and reference points and the laws of physics and the exact distance the ball traveled -- can somebody plot this all out?

there's a massive difference between stitching multiple cameras together after the fact and doing it real time (if the system isn't set up for it).

Could they take the multiple camera angles and figuring it out over a day or two? sure. but with the systems they have in place, they have no chance of doing it in real time.

Then you're back to the cost of implementing such a system in all college football stadia...which is not inconsequential.

nyesq83
12-29-2015, 08:36 AM
Haha, thanks.

Wondering, wondering, wondering.

Anyway, congrats to all involved in bringing Duke Football a great victory and for once again entertaining holiday households to the last play of the game.

Here's hoping for a strong 2016 season and for improvement in all areas.

Cheers!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-29-2015, 09:09 AM
Did anyone find the knit pompom hats that the team was sporting after the game that actually had Duke or the D on them?
Saw the generic Pinstripe bowl hat but there's no D that I can see.

I also was loving on those.

Hey, it's been almost 72 hours since our last bowl victory, folks!

Gewebe14
12-29-2015, 09:14 AM
In 2010 (I think), Cut said we had the finest defensive staff in the country -- that was shortly before our D was a hot mess and Hobby was jettisoned (it seems). When Connette was a freshman (even before, when BC reported in Jan of his h.s. senior year, I think), Cut said he'd be playing on Sundays. And yes, this pre-season, Cut said Sirk throws a beautiful deep ball. He does, just not accurately. You gotta know when Cut is being Cut. The man is a grocer's son who now makes a couple million bucks a year coaching football; he took the doormat FBS program to an ACC divisional championship and four straight highly entertaining bowls, and he has a lot of guys playing on Sundays now. He said he's here to win championships. He sets large goals, pumps folks up, and instills confidence and makes people their best, and they achieve at high levels for him. And sometimes he does that through the media. And sometimes there's a little bit of puffery to his statements, to calculated effect, I think. He's generally so honest; he's not a BSer ... but he does pump up and oversell a bit, consciously, I'm thinking.

Yep and Johnny Williams is going to play corner in the NFL

budwom
12-29-2015, 09:16 AM
Football stadiums are built for watching football. Yankee Stadium is bolt for watching baseball.

It was odd, after pulling up the track at Wally Wade, to be even further from the field in the Duke section at the ballpark. So I am not surprised if some went inside and watched on the tube.

Hard to judge the attendance, agreed.

We looked at the seating map before we bought tickets and decided to sit on the Indiana side because the stands are somewhat closer there....and we were fortunate that
our seats faced the field directly.....as you say, being a baseball stadium, a lot of the seats gave one an awkward viewing angle. We actually loved the angle our
seats gave us...

Regarding going inside to watch the game: we got to the game very early, took the subway from Manhattan, and being a resident of the Arctic Zone, I noted the
flimsy, inadequate clothing a lot of people were wearing. Yeah, 50 degrees in December may be surprisingly warm, but when you're sitting completely still for three and a half
hours, it can get pretty chilly. Can't believe how many fans I saw wearing just a tee shirt and a light windbreaker...they looked pretty frosty as the game wore on.
I had the Michelin Man look with four layers and was pretty comfy....not surprised a huge segment of the crowd had to retreat. Be Prepared as those scouts are wont to say!

budwom
12-29-2015, 09:20 AM

Good points. But Cut came up with the Sirk Throws a Great Long Ball line without anyone asking, he just kind of boasted....so I expected it was not the usual puffery but
actually something that was real.....

Coach puffery is great: Goldy had LeVance McQueen as the next Lawrence Taylor....and Dawud Rasheed as one of the most scintillating, unstoppable backs of all time.

sagegrouse
12-29-2015, 12:38 PM

The issue, as someone explained either here or elsewhere, is with the "keystone effect" of the one camera that appeared to show the kick was good. That effect would appear to shift the ball to the right in a physical sense. The math of the camera is (presumably) well known and someone on the design team could surely do the analysis.

-bdbd
12-29-2015, 01:37 PM
We were there in the middle of the Duke section, second level. Really great viewing btw relative to other recent bowls. It was funny watching the big board highlights of recent Pinstripe bowls, with snow blowing everywhere... We were so lucky with the weather. Didn't understand why IN team was so slow to leave the field as we were on the field celebrating, until later.

Had no bad run-ins with Hoosier fans, though there were a couple numbskulls in bright red and white "clown pants" (red-white vertical stripes) in the middle of our Duke section loudly cheering with every positive Indy play (or negative Duke one - taunting neighboring fans). They were eventually invited to leave by ushers (after picking fights). But we saw lots of somber Indy fans around NYC Sat night and Sun, and had no problems. Great experiences in NYC, visiting Times Square, 9/11 Memorial, Rock Plaza, and a couple shows. Hope Duke goes back to Pinstripe again soon.

Reilly
12-29-2015, 01:57 PM
there's a massive difference between stitching multiple cameras together after the fact and doing it real time (if the system isn't set up for it).

Could they take the multiple camera angles and figuring it out over a day or two? sure. but with the systems they have in place, they have no chance of doing it in real time.

Then you're back to the cost of implementing such a system in all college football stadia...which is not inconsequential.

I bolded what I'm looking for. That's all I'm looking for -- have somebody do it now. Would be an interesting 3-minute piece on espn. Not looking for it to be done in real time.

Reilly
12-29-2015, 02:03 PM

This one has been debated on this board before. I'm still waiting for somebody to show me where Cut ever said that directly about JW or made a direct connection to JW's skills. Based on what I read at the time, and what was reported and what I could dig up, he never made the direct connection. If he did make the direct connection to JW's capability, it was not reported as such, which is surprising. Best I can tell, he noted how an NFL career resulted one other time when he switched someone to DB.

We do have enough other evidence of Cut puffing up folks. budwom, it does not strike me as unusual for Cut to have said it without prompting about Sirk -- if I'm going to use the media to pump up my player, I'm going to use them -- not wait to be asked. The other possibility, of course, is that Sirk connects on long balls all the time in practice, and Cut was just telling the truth.

Gewebe14
12-30-2015, 08:40 AM
This one has been debated on this board before. I'm still waiting for somebody to show me where Cut ever said that directly about JW or made a direct connection to JW's skills. Based on what I read at the time, and what was reported and what I could dig up, he never made the direct connection. If he did make the direct connection to JW's capability, it was not reported as such, which is surprising. Best I can tell, he noted how an NFL career resulted one other time when he switched someone to DB.

We do have enough other evidence of Cut puffing up folks. budwom, it does not strike me as unusual for Cut to have said it without prompting about Sirk -- if I'm going to use the media to pump up my player, I'm going to use them -- not wait to be asked. The other possibility, of course, is that Sirk connects on long balls all the time in practice, and Cut was just telling the truth.

I was kind of joking, but you're probably right. He did imply it though:

"He's a really good defensive football player. Johnny's built strong and low to the ground," Cutcliffe said. "He's not your prototype receiver body. If you looked at Johnny Williams, you'd say, 'He looks like a pro corner.'" He then compared him to Ken Lucas.

No doubt Cut does engage in decent amount of hyperbole though :) Which I love.

BD80
12-30-2015, 01:10 PM
Sirk won the game, but left a lot of big plays on the field.

What does the QB situation look like for net year?

I wouldn't mind a platoon system, with Sirk running and occasionally throwing, and another throwing QB that can run Cut's offense

jimsumner
12-30-2015, 02:03 PM
Sirk won the game, but left a lot of big plays on the field.

What does the QB situation look like for net year?

I wouldn't mind a platoon system, with Sirk running and occasionally throwing, and another throwing QB that can run Cut's offense

Actually, Boehme was the winning pitcher, since the game was tied when he came in.

But Sirk gets credit for a quality start. :)

OldPhiKap
01-01-2016, 10:53 AM
So . . . when is spring practice?

I hope Thomas takes the time off to reflect, settle down, and work on his downfield mechanics. As prodigious as our offensive output was in the bowl, to steal Cut's line we left a lot out on the field too. Just a modest increase in downfield efficiency would have yielded several touchdowns.

I have to keep reminding myself that Sirk did not play a lot of QB in high school and is a raw product. He had several memorable drives at the end of games -- VT, Miami, Indiana -- that show his heart. If the mechanics can follow, he (and we) could have a fun year in 2016.

Thanks again to all of the seniors, you left the place much better than you found it upon your arrival.

budwom
01-01-2016, 11:44 AM

I hope Thomas takes the time off to reflect, settle down, and work on his downfield mechanics. As prodigious as our offensive output was in the bowl, to steal Cut's line we left a lot out on the field too. Just a modest increase in downfield efficiency would have yielded several touchdowns.

I have to keep reminding myself that Sirk did not play a lot of QB in high school and is a raw product. He had several memorable drives at the end of games -- VT, Miami, Indiana -- that show his heart. If the mechanics can follow, he (and we) could have a fun year in 2016.

Thanks again to all of the seniors, you left the place much better than you found it upon your arrival.

Cut has made some comments about possibly starting spring practice later this year (he's been holding it very early). May or may not have to do with when he ends up hiring a new offensive coordinator.
Perhaps (more personal speculation) waiting might help Sirk's recovery from his twanged knee....better to have him available for spring work.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-01-2016, 11:50 AM

If past trends continue, spring practice will be early again despite the bowl appearance and win. The players who asked to continue to have it early. We'll know soon!

Perhaps the next date to focus on is National Signing Day while we await the announcement of the new OC and possible changes in staff assignments. (I'm not suggesting anything in particular by that comment. Coach Cutcliffe uses staff changes to make a variety changes within the organization.)

Think about this: football is now a 12 month operation at Duke. What a milestone!