PDA

View Full Version : Doug Gottlieb, Constitutional Scholar

slower
12-23-2015, 10:35 AM
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/428856/bill-of-rights-constitution-doug-gottlieb

Frankly, I find him to be alarmingly unacademic. :p

DukeFanSince1990
12-23-2015, 11:13 AM
Doug Gottlieb is alarmingly unintelligible.

sagegrouse
12-23-2015, 11:41 AM
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/428856/bill-of-rights-constitution-doug-gottlieb

Anyway, pea-brained Doug Gottlieb has supposedly drawn a distinction between the original text of the U.S. Constitution and the amendments thereto, as in, "it's only an amendment." If only he could have stayed at Notre Dame for more than one season before his -- uh -- difficulties impelled him to Stillwater, OK.

brevity
12-23-2015, 12:35 PM
Anyway, pea-brained Doug Gottlieb has supposedly drawn a distinction between the original text of the U.S. Constitution and the amendments thereto, as in, "it's only an amendment."

Amusing to see Doug Gottlieb use his vast knowledge to irritate an entirely new group of people. Maybe someone can send Sean McManus an e-mail suggesting he "amend" Doug's job status, or at least his favorable time slot.

PackMan97
12-23-2015, 12:45 PM

Excellent! I suppose next time I'm visiting Charleston, SC I'll pick up a few slaves. I'll make sure to tell my wife she can't vote in the next election, and I'm certainly not going to pay any more income taxes! Great to know amendments matter not.

Billy Dat
12-23-2015, 12:53 PM
Gottlieb look alarmingly like Paul Ryan.

davekay1971
12-23-2015, 02:00 PM
I recently saw a wonderful description of the Bill of Rights:

"Top 10 things you idiots don't get to vote on"

For those of you who are curious: Charles CW Cooke, the author, is an excellent writer and a Brit who is passionately libertarian and proudly athiest. On a center-right to conservative journal/website like National Review, he usually presents a welcome, well written, and thoughtful take on issues of appropriate roles of size and government, although obviously many will disagree with both his philosophy and his conclusions.

PackMan97
12-23-2015, 02:16 PM

For those of you who are curious: Charles CW Cooke, the author, is an excellent writer and a Brit who is passionately libertarian and proudly athiest. On a center-right to conservative journal/website like National Review, he usually presents a welcome, well written, and thoughtful take on issues of appropriate roles of size and government, although obviously many will disagree with both his philosophy and his conclusions.

Did you intend to include a link?

davekay1971
12-23-2015, 02:25 PM
Did you intend to include a link?

No. The article from which I took that quote is a politically charged article, also on National Review, by Kevin Williamson (another excellent writer, although his style is far more confrontational). I thought linking the article might induce some people reading it to respond in a way that might take this thread into PPB territory. Probably safer to stick with bashing Doug Gottlieb and giving a thumbs up to the Bill of Rights.

Tripping William
12-23-2015, 02:29 PM
Putting up with Doug Gottlieb: The very definition of "cruel and unusual punishment."

PackMan97
12-23-2015, 03:05 PM
giving a thumbs up to the Bill of Rights.

captmojo
12-23-2015, 03:09 PM
I'm curious to the point of wondering what Gottlieb and others would think, should we repeal the first amendment as well.
After all, it's only an amendment.

Kinda bordering on PP territory, ain't it?

JetpackJesus
12-23-2015, 03:26 PM
I'm curious to the point of wondering what Gottlieb and others would think, should we repeal the first amendment as well.
After all, it's only an amendment.

Kinda bordering on PP territory, ain't it?

Quite a few Yale students would say yes.

mattman91
12-23-2015, 04:07 PM
Wow! What an idiot. As if I needed any other reason to despise that fool.

Turk
12-23-2015, 04:57 PM

Sounds like Mr. Cooke is picking up where that esteemed literary flamethrower Christopher Hitchens left off...

I don't have to agree with the content to enjoy reading a master of the craft and to better understand both sides of an issue...
If one does not like challenges to one's beliefs and opinions, they are probably not strong or well-formed enough to withstand scrutiny.

As a moderate, I am voiceless and powerless in the primaries, but you can't win in November without me!

cspan37421
12-23-2015, 05:19 PM
Quite a few Yale students would say yes.

Not just Yale,

he said, despairingly.

Henderson
12-23-2015, 05:24 PM
Gottlieb is an idiot. Struggling professionally. Dumped. Trying to get attention to boost his clicks or beeps or likes or whatever he needs before people just stop taking his calls.

Which would be more forgivable if he weren't such an I'm not a wanker for saying this I'm not a wanker for saying this I'm not a wanker for saying this.

Ima Facultiwyfe
12-23-2015, 05:32 PM

A "Bill of Responsibilities" sure couldn't hurt.
Love, Ima

Indoor66
12-23-2015, 07:30 PM
A "Bill of Responsibilities" sure couldn't hurt.
Love, Ima

Every right does come with a concomitant responsibility. :cool:

hudlow
12-24-2015, 09:17 AM
People like Gottlieb are why I fear the call for a "Constitutional Convention" that seems to be growing louder.

Jarhead
12-24-2015, 10:38 AM
People like Gottlieb are why I fear the call for a "Constitutional Convention" that seems to be growing louder.

Well turn the volume down, please. That's the last thing we need.

Kfanarmy
12-27-2015, 08:35 PM
Every right does come with a concomitant responsibility. :cool:

Unfortunately most abuse the first and avoid the latter.

Lar77
12-28-2015, 10:56 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/28/us/isis-influence-on-web-prompts-second-thoughts-on-first-amendment.html?_r=0

“I think it is a slippery slope,” Mr. Post said in an interview. In a law blog, The Volokh Conspiracy, he wrote that efforts to suppress radical views “can be far too easily twisted into a prohibition against dissenting viewpoints.”

It is indeed a slippery slope to mess with any of the amendments in the Bill of Rights, which is why they have the same amendment/repeal rules as the rest of the Constitution.

Indoor66
12-28-2015, 01:09 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/28/us/isis-influence-on-web-prompts-second-thoughts-on-first-amendment.html?_r=0

“I think it is a slippery slope,” Mr. Post said in an interview. In a law blog, The Volokh Conspiracy, he wrote that efforts to suppress radical views “can be far too easily twisted into a prohibition against dissenting viewpoints.”

It is indeed a slippery slope to mess with any of the amendments in the Bill of Rights, which is why they have the same amendment/repeal rules as the rest of the Constitution.

The problem is: Who defines radical?

uh_no
12-28-2015, 02:05 PM
The problem is: Who defines radical?

Root(-1) usually

cspan37421
12-28-2015, 02:13 PM
Root(-1) usually

<pedant>that's the imaginary number, which involves a radical sign but does not really "define radical". </pedant>

Aside from Gottlieb's factual error/false inference, the other ideas expressed here are worthy of our serious consideration, but clearly fall into PPB territory (IMO). So we should probably just wrap it up.