PDA

View Full Version : Ad formatting in DBR articles

mpj96
12-21-2015, 07:25 PM
When I view DBR on my phone the ads say "from our sponsor, article continues below" but the ad covers entire paragraphs of text. I understand the need for ads, but their placement prevents me from reading the articles posted. Scrolling up and down doesn't help. Clicking on the ad doesn't help. There is no little x to minimize the ad either. Is there a fix in the works for this?

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-21-2015, 07:26 PM
This came up in another thread. Agreed. It's getting to the point of silly. I can barely read the front page articles.

91_92_01_10_15
12-21-2015, 08:12 PM
Yep. I have tried on an iphone 5 and on a new nexus 5x in multiple browsers, but I am still unable to read articles until I get to a computer.

lotusland
12-21-2015, 08:29 PM
While we're at it the ACC Roundup tables are buggered up too. Only the tail end of text in the left hand column is visible on my iPhone screen. Been like that for weeks.

tfk53
12-21-2015, 09:03 PM
Since this has come up (had not wanted to complain before), will add that if am on my iPhone 6, when i click the links on ACC Roundup, I get sent to the ad that is covering part of the story. Only way to get to the links is to bring it up my computer. Have just thought that I was doing something wrong in how I viewed DBR on my phone. Comforting - at least to my psyche - to know others with issues also.

ricks68
12-21-2015, 10:24 PM
Since this has come up (had not wanted to complain before), will add that if am on my iPhone 6, when i click the links on ACC Roundup, I get sent to the ad that is covering part of the story. Only way to get to the links is to bring it up my computer. Have just thought that I was doing something wrong in how I viewed DBR on my phone. Comforting - at least to my psyche - to know others with issues also.

Same with my Galaxy.

ricks

devil84
12-21-2015, 10:57 PM
The forum software is not a part of SBNation, so we can independently fix bugs within the forum software. SBNation has their own team of developers, and they control the front page, its advertising, and any features found on it. Your faithful admins of the DBR forums can't fix or alter (or even influence) the functionality of the front page.

What I'd recommend is that while you're on the page with an issue, scroll all the way to the Contact Us link. There's an option for reporting an issue with advertising or reporting a bug (among others that you might want to report).

From an admin perspective, it's always nice to know what kind of problems people are running into on the main page, so you're welcome to post here, too, but, unfortunately, we can't do much to fix front page functionality.

mattman91
12-21-2015, 11:21 PM
First world problems...

Reisen
12-21-2015, 11:27 PM
First world problems...

It's pretty major, and honestly, in 2015, pretty amazing (and ridiculous) that the site doesn't load correctly on a smartphone. I've been meaning to post about this for a while.

I understand the forum admins can't do anything, but I pretty much ignore the home page when on my smartphone, which is a shame given the resources that go into the (high quality) articles.

Imagine if the Wall Street Journal print edition was so blurry it looked like a bad fax...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-22-2015, 05:59 AM
Imagine if the Wall Street Journal print edition was so blurry it looked like a bad fax...

Yes, DBR has the same resources as the Wall Street Journal. [eye roll]

I posted about this a few weeks ago to let the mods know it was an issue, but I didn't complain or call it ridiculous.

I am not sure you folks realize this, but DBR is basically a non-profit as best I can recall. No one is getting rich off this puppy and we are all fortunate to have this venue.

Anyway, I am sure it is helpful to let them know what works and doesn't work, but if you are whining, be prepared to receive a complete refund.

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-22-2015, 07:16 AM

I posted about this a few weeks ago to let the mods know it was an issue, but I didn't complain or call it ridiculous.

I am not sure you folks realize this, but DBR is basically a non-profit as best I can recall. No one is getting rich off this puppy and we are all fortunate to have this venue.

Anyway, I am sure it is helpful to let them know what works and doesn't work, but if you are whining, be prepared to receive a complete refund.
Uh, we're talking about SBNation who, uh, I think is for-profit. Now that we know where to direct our feedback, I hope folks will do so.

mpj96
12-22-2015, 07:35 AM
What I'd recommend is that while you're on the page with an issue, scroll all the way to the Contact Us link. There's an option for reporting an issue with advertising or reporting a bug (among others that you might want to report).

Thank you for the direction.

I have searched without success to find the contact link. Perhaps it is also covered by an ad (not being snarky, there is a big truck ad at the bottom not unlike the ad covering all of the article discussing Justise vs. Hendo).

Can someone provide the email address? I will gladly send links to pages and screenshots. This is obviously a chronic bug. If this were my site I would want to know so I could fix.

Reisen
12-22-2015, 08:15 AM

A- The point was to imagine something with great content but said content is unreadable.

B- Dr Rosenrosen is correct. The revenue for these ads covering up the DBR contributors' hard work goes to SB Nation, which is part of Vox Media, a billion dollar empire. So someone (even if it's not the site's founders) most certainly is getting rich, and most certainly has the resources to do something as simple as make the page load correctly on mobile devices.

Indoor66
12-22-2015, 08:18 AM
A- The point was to imagine something with great content but said content is unreadable.

B- Dr Rosenrosen is correct. The revenue for these ads covering up the DBR contributors' hard work goes to SB Nation, which is part of Vox Media, a billion dollar empire. So someone (even if it's not the site's founders) most certainly is getting rich, and most certainly has the resources to do something as simple as make the page load correctly on mobile devices.

I couldn't do it if you gave me the rest of my life. :rolleyes::cool:

cato
12-22-2015, 08:21 AM
Here's a work around (at least on iPhone with Safari ): use reader view. If you have not used it, at the top of the browser, click in the box where the url is, and several lines appear in the far left of the box. Click on the lines, and the text will format properly.

sagegrouse
12-22-2015, 08:23 AM

I had success on a different matter going directly to SB Nation. Got a call back and everything IIRC (and there is always a first time!).

-jk
12-22-2015, 09:50 AM
I'm reaching out to SBN again. Please keep posting issues you have with the site on smart phones along with the device you're using.

When it works properly, ads push the text down - that's what happens on my iphone, anyway. I've compared articles on ios Safari and my laptop - no text gets covered by the ad, just more time to load and scroll. I can't duplicate these misbehaving ads.

Tables are a different problem. Julian drops data into basic HTML tables. We'll need to find a different way for him to put tables together for mobile browsers to be able to view them. (Any web developers out there? It needs to be easy html - he's doing this stuff at 2 am...)

-jk

mpj96
12-22-2015, 10:10 AM
I just made a report to SB Nation attaching a screenshot. In case it helps any of the DBR folks, the following is typical of my phone reading experience.

Start of Ad screenshot: 5809 End of ad shot: 5810.

Unfortunately, the SB Nation Contact Us link does not appear on the mobile version but does appear on the computer version of the page. For those using the mobile version of the site who would still like to comment to SB Nation, the url link is here: http://www.sbnation.com/pages/contact?community_id=417&_ga=1.161681727.2039417888.1387825126

Many thanks to JD and Julio and all of you who work hard to make this site great!

GGLC
12-22-2015, 10:42 AM
I don't have this issue on the other SBnation sites I browse frequently, by the way. (Blazer's Edge and Niners Nation.)

-jk
12-22-2015, 10:50 AM
Thanks! That one seems to be a malformed ad. The "from our sponsor, article continues below" line takes 5 lines, forcing the ad to overrun the space allotted. I haven't seen that one before.

-jk

Reisen
12-22-2015, 12:05 PM
Thanks! That one seems to be a malformed ad. The "from our sponsor, article continues below" line takes 5 lines, forcing the ad to overrun the space allotted. I haven't seen that one before.

-jk

Yeah, that's exactly the same problem I'm having, on an iPhone 6s (in Safari). Perhaps it's specific to the ad.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-23-2015, 11:32 AM

But my point is that the people on this board that we are complaining to are not internet moguls, swimming in Scrooge McDuck money. We are all fortunate to have this forum attached to this site as a resource.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-23-2015, 03:13 PM
Here's a work around (at least on iPhone with Safari ): use reader view. If you have not used it, at the top of the browser, click in the box where the url is, and several lines appear in the far left of the box. Click on the lines, and the text will format properly.

Iphone 6s here, and reading the main page articles is all but impossible, as described above.

I tried this "tip", and the only lines I saw were to the right of the SB Nation banner, below the url. Clicked on those and it gave me links to Home, Forum, Library, etc. Went back and forth a couple of times, scrolled up and suddenly, lo and behold, there were lines on the left side of the url! I tapped those, and then tried to read the link on Luke's article. It was great! But then I couldn't duplicate finding the lines on the left side of the url line. And now the Luke article is once again unreadable. Grrrrrr. And I really hate Michael Grover, whoeverinhell he is. I will NEVER NEVER EVER buy anything he is selling. Hear that, SB Nation?!!!

lotusland
12-23-2015, 06:13 PM
Tables were completely legible this morning.