PDA

View Full Version : wow.....AP Poll #15

moonpie23
12-21-2015, 04:51 PM
i didn't think we stunk it up that much... (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings)

BLPOG
12-21-2015, 04:58 PM
i didn't think we stunk it up that much... (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings)

Well you see, the votes were cast relative to previous movement rather than previous ranking. So if we went down in the rankings after consecutive weeks of large-margin victories demonstrating development of the team, a one-possession loss in overtime with an injured/ill team means a substantial drop.

If it had been a two-possession loss in regulation, we'd be unranked!

OldPhiKap
12-21-2015, 05:01 PM
Meh. We were overranked to start the season (based on where we were then), and we're probably a bit under-ranked now even with Amile out.

Keep developing, get and stay healthy. Not worried.

CameronBornAndBred
12-21-2015, 05:10 PM
We didn't. My guess is that Amile = at least 4 poll spots.

CDu
12-21-2015, 05:12 PM
Well, we have no high-quality wins so far. We've lost to the only two upper-echelon teams we've faced. We're behind only two teams with two or more losses: one of whom beat us handily and the other of whom has beaten a top-5 team. Hard to complain with where we are ranked right now, if you ask me (which I realize you didn't ;)).

weezie
12-21-2015, 05:21 PM
Meh. We were overranked to start the season (based on where we were then), and we're probably a bit under-ranked now even with Amile out.

Agreed on all counts. No sense getting worked up right now.

Jeffrey
12-21-2015, 06:53 PM
Well, we have no high-quality wins so far. We've lost to the only two upper-echelon teams we've faced. We're behind only two teams with two or more losses: one of whom beat us handily and the other of whom has beaten a top-5 team. Hard to complain with where we are ranked right now, if you ask me (which I realize you didn't ;)).

Agreed. Until Amile returns, IMO, it seems about right. I think it might be a good thing, since it forces us to play freshman who clearly need PT. Luke has already benefitted, especially by needing to compensate for Grayson's sickness. A very young PG may also come of age during this adjustment period.

53n206
12-21-2015, 07:42 PM
Players who have value now have the opportunity to step up. It's difficult to lose Amile, but this does give younger guys an opportunity to play.

Bob Green
12-21-2015, 07:50 PM
...but this does give younger guys an opportunity to play.

Is this true? Chase Jeter played 6 minutes against Utah. Basically, Coach K went to a six man rotation against a quality opponent.

lotusland
12-21-2015, 08:36 PM
Marshall will pick up a few of Amile's minutes but the rest will go to younger guys😀.

Bob Green
12-21-2015, 08:45 PM
Marshall will pick up a few of Amile's minutes but the rest will go to younger guys😀.

I hate to be obstinate but the box score disagrees.

Pghdukie
12-21-2015, 08:54 PM

I agree with you Bob. The tough league schedule playing a 6 man rotation will no doubt take its toll. Early foul trouble to any of the six could mean a very long night.

lotusland
12-21-2015, 09:16 PM

Isn't everyone younger than Amile except Marshall? With the exception of the few minutes picked up by Marshall, I insist that Amile's minutes will go to younger guys.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-22-2015, 06:00 AM

Goodness, I sure hope they let us play in March!

captmojo
12-22-2015, 07:50 AM
Oh no!
It's the end of the world! :rolleyes:

Just be proud of a fabulous effort against a high-quality opponent, on a neutral floor. Add to that, a Senior Captain on the bench with his foot in a cast, (Should we start blaming the shoes?) and a scoring star with the flu that was giving all he could muster.
Congratulations to Utah. Maybe a rematch is looming in the future. You have an excellent team.

mgtr
12-22-2015, 08:18 AM
Is this true? Chase Jeter played 6 minutes against Utah. Basically, Coach K went to a six man rotation against a quality opponent.

Well, you know, we really went to a 5.5 man rotation for all but six minutes. Given the shape he was in, just cannot count Grayson as a whole man. The Christmas break will help the whole team.

budwom
12-22-2015, 08:43 AM

yeah, I think we may well fall out of the rankings with Amile out, but I'm still hopeful we pull it together upon his return...lots of playing opportunity
for the young guys.

elvis14
12-22-2015, 09:03 AM

Yeah, we really did. Utah isn't a very good team. That was an awful game.

It doesn't mean we stink, it doesn't mean the sky is falling, we are still going to make the tournament. What it means is that we played really poorly Saturday and others are seeing the same thing we see....a good team that needs to grow to become a better team. The good news is that we have so much youth that this growth is very possible (and IMHO likely). I think we've already seen growth from just about everyone (remember when Ingram couldn't hit a 3?). And yes having Amile back and Grayson healthy will make a difference (looking forward to that).

HK Dukie
01-01-2016, 05:44 AM
15th? That is much higher than where Andy Katz has Duke ranked.

After the Utah game he put Duke 17th. Then Duke scored 70 in the first half vs Elon and won comfortably to say the least.

So naturally Andy Katz drops Duke out of his top 25 altogether.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/powerrankings/_/show/first

NashvilleDevil
01-01-2016, 08:02 AM
15th? That is much higher than where Andy Katz has Duke ranked.

After the Utah game he put Duke 17th. Then Duke scored 70 in the first half vs Elon and won comfortably to say the least.

So naturally Andy Katz drops Duke out of his top 25 altogether.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/powerrankings/_/show/first

I see them at 18

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-01-2016, 09:00 AM
I see them at 18

Yeah, but...

/exits

HK Dukie
01-01-2016, 10:26 AM
Mtn d3vil, they are 18 in the ESPN " expert" poll and not in Andy Katz top 25 at all. You have to look at his ballot specifically.

uh_no
01-01-2016, 10:39 AM
we're 1-2 against top 50 teams.

we have bigger issues than what andy katz thinks....

do i think we should be ranked? of course...but lets win some games in the acc then we can complain

sagegrouse
01-01-2016, 10:55 AM
we're 1-2 against top 50 teams.

we have bigger issues than what andy katz thinks...

do i think we should be ranked? of course...but lets win some games in the acc then we can complain

My only interest in polls is to maintain streak -- like weeks in the top 25 or weeks in the top ten or consecutive years ranked #1 at some time during the year.

That said, I am gearing up my annual assault on rankings, tournament selections, and tournament seeds -- which are very tough since the inter-conference play is almost completely over. From now on, teams play only teams in their conference. Therefore, it seems to me, that results after the New Year can't be used to calibrate the conferences -- only the teams within conferences.

Injuries aside, almost every team is better in March than in November or December, just by the experience gained during the season in both competition and practice. But there is no reason to think that teams "mature" at the same rate. Therefore, we need to be careful, or at least "humble," in ranking teams in March except within the conferences.

Olympic Fan
01-01-2016, 11:49 AM
My only interest in polls is to maintain streak -- like weeks in the top 25 or weeks in the top ten or consecutive years ranked #1 at some time during the year.

I have the same interest -- Duke is working on an active streak of 163 straight weeks in the AP top 25. That's the longest active streak in college basketball and the seventh longest all-time. In fact. with one more week, Duke ties Kentucky (1990-99) for sixth place. Next up is Marquette (1969-79) at 166 straight weeks. Duke had a 200-week streak (1996-2007). UCLA was in 221 straight polls in the Wooden era.

Duke has been in every poll since the final poll in 2007.

The other streak is top 10 finishes. Duke has a streak of eight straight top 10 AP finishes -- which is also the longest active streak ... in fact, Duke has finished in the top 10 in 18 of the last 19 years (missing only in 2007) since 1996.

Olympic Fan
01-04-2016, 07:30 PM
Duke moves all the way up to No. 14 in this week's AP poll ...

Big difference in the coaches' poll ... Duke is No. 10.

FWIW, this is the 144th straight week that Duke was ranked in the AP, tying for the sixth-longest such streak in NCAA history.

uh_no
01-04-2016, 08:29 PM
Duke moves all the way up to No. 14 in this week's AP poll ...

Big difference in the coaches' poll ... Duke is No. 10.

FWIW, this is the 144th straight week that Duke was ranked in the AP, tying for the sixth-longest such streak in NCAA history.

after such a dominating win over BC??? OUTRAGE I say!

just keep winning...

Blue KevIL
01-04-2016, 10:23 PM

I think you meant 164th straight week.

Since the start of the 1996-97 season, Duke has been ranked in 367 out of the last 369 AP polls.
This translates into 691 out 694 games as an AP-ranked team with a record of 579-112 (ranked) & 2-1 (un-ranked).