PDA

View Full Version : Cash to miss Pinstripe Bowl

jimsumner
12-16-2015, 01:34 PM
Portions of Duke press release

"Duke redshirt senior safety Jeremy Cash underwent surgery on his right wrist Wednesday morning and will not play in the upcoming New Era Pinstripe Bowl against Indiana.

“We’re all certainly disappointed for Jeremy, especially in the sense that he’ll miss being on the field with his teammates for his final game in a Duke uniform,” said Duke head coach David Cutcliffe. “It’s really just so unfortunate because of the type of competitor, teammate and leader he is for our program. Jeremy’s incredible collegiate career should not have ended in Winston-Salem, but it did. As with every young man in our locker room, his health is what is most important. Going forward, we must continue our preparation for Indiana, and I know our team – and especially our defense – will embrace the challenge.”

The surgery was performed by Dr. Fraser Leversedge."

luvdahops
12-16-2015, 01:40 PM

"Duke redshirt senior safety Jeremy Cash underwent surgery on his right wrist Wednesday morning and will not play in the upcoming New Era Pinstripe Bowl against Indiana.

“We’re all certainly disappointed for Jeremy, especially in the sense that he’ll miss being on the field with his teammates for his final game in a Duke uniform,” said Duke head coach David Cutcliffe. “It’s really just so unfortunate because of the type of competitor, teammate and leader he is for our program. Jeremy’s incredible collegiate career should not have ended in Winston-Salem, but it did. As with every young man in our locker room, his health is what is most important. Going forward, we must continue our preparation for Indiana, and I know our team – and especially our defense – will embrace the challenge.”

This is absolutely heartbreaking news. Cash has been the heart and soul of our defense for the past three years, and a bowl victory would have been a great way to cap his outstanding career.

Highlander
12-16-2015, 01:41 PM

Now that's unfortunate. Is this a lingering issue that Jeremy is trying to address prior to the combine?

Big blow to our chances to win the Pinstripe bowl :(

weezie
12-16-2015, 01:43 PM
That's a shame! I hope he has a good recovery and is ready for the next stage. He's been one of our brightest stars and I wish him the best.

Olympic Fan
12-16-2015, 01:50 PM
Ironic that we get the news on the same day that Cash is named to the AFCA All-America first team.

That makes him 5-for-5 on the five consensus A-A teams ... making him the second Duke player ever to be a unanimous first team pick (Clarkston Hines in 1989).

Terrible loss ... wishing Jeremy the best as he pursues his pro career.

Now, next play ... we get a preview of Corbin McCarthy as our strike safety ...

devildeac
12-16-2015, 02:02 PM

It's over.

Well, at least it wasn't a foot injury:rolleyes:.

:mad:

DAMMIT!!!!

Get well soon, young man.

Reisen
12-16-2015, 02:10 PM
What horrible news! Bummer, bummer, bummer...

I'll have to content myself with dreams of him starting in the league next year...

duke blue brewcrew
12-16-2015, 02:24 PM

As a fan, I could not be more disappointed for Jeremy. He's been a shining light on defense for Duke since being able to put on the uniform, and take the field as a Blue Devil. Selfishly, I'm bummed because I know this will impact Duke's ability to win the Pinstripe Bowl (trying to remain positive and not give in to the string of expletives and rock kicking I feel welling up inside of me). I know it's not an impossibility to win w/o Jeremy, but it certainly adds to the degree of difficulty. Duke didn't need an added degree of difficulty, they needed a healthy team so they could have a reasonable shot at bringing home their first Bowl victory. As much as I wanted to see Cash on the field with his teammates to bring that home in his final opportunity, I know this is the best thing for him moving forward to the next stage of his football CAREER. I am looking forward to seeing this young man play on Sundays next year. Thank you Jeremy Cash, for all you've done for Duke Football. You've been a shining example on and off the field for the program, and a leader for your teammates. Get well quickly, and go kick some NFL butt!

P.S. If you get a chance to interview with the Steelers, I hope you NAIL IT! Seeing you in Black-n-Yellow next year would make me one happy man!

killerleft
12-16-2015, 03:04 PM
Well, &%$!#@*!

I know Jeremy wanted to help us get that bowl win, and I wanted to see him do it.

Sad.

Best of luck to you, Mr. Cash. Can't wait to see another successful Duke player in the NFL!

OldPhiKap
12-16-2015, 03:13 PM
Sad to hear.

Best of luck with a full and quick recovery, and again thanks for choosing to come to (and stay at) Duke through this season. You have been a joy to watch and we wish you the best of luck on Sundays and beyond.

ChillinDuke
12-16-2015, 03:18 PM
Stinks.

For him - because he needed surgery.

For me - because I just procured my Pinstripe Bowl tix.

Thanks for an incredible season (and Duke career) and here's to a full recovery.

See you on Sundays.

- Chillin

Bob Green
12-16-2015, 05:04 PM
Extremely disappointing news for the fans, the team and most important for Jeremy Cash. I'm looking forward to watching him play on Sundays.

subzero02
12-16-2015, 05:08 PM
The point spread remains... IU -1.5 to -2

OldPhiKap
12-16-2015, 05:50 PM
The point spread remains... IU -1.5 to -2

That may well change a bit.

Time for others on the defense to step up. Win one for Jeremy and Kelby.

Bob Green
12-16-2015, 06:10 PM
Now, next play ... we get a preview of Corbin McCarthy as our strike safety ...

McCarthy is solid and has a lot of experience. He played in a couple of games (FIU & Stanford) as a true freshman before being hurt and granted a medical hardship redshirt so he has four years in the system. The question I am pondering out loud is, considering Indiana's passing attack, will the staff opt to play a third cornerback at times instead of a third safety.

Dukehky
12-16-2015, 08:53 PM
This blows. Cash is the best defensive player Duke has ever had to my knowledge.

Henderson
12-17-2015, 12:29 AM
If you had any hope of playing in the NFL, why would you play in this game? My wrist hurts just thinking about it. Says my agent. I mean, a guy I know who might be. One day. But isn't now.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
12-17-2015, 07:12 AM
Well cant wait to see him starting at safety for my Jags next season!!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-17-2015, 10:04 AM
Let's win it for Cash - no finer way to honor him

budwom
12-17-2015, 11:18 AM
somehow The Turnover Gods are going to have to be kind to us....not sure how that happens with our pass rush, or distinct lack thereof...but I remain
hopeful, stuff happens. I can't imagine winning with fewer than 40 points, unless the weather is abysmal...

Olympic Fan
12-17-2015, 03:44 PM
Cutcliffe explains the Cash situation at today's bowl press conference:

-- It's not a chronic injury -- its a specific injury he suffered in the Virginia game.

-- It really started to bother him in the second half against Wake, so the staff ordered an MRI.

-- After the doctors saw the MRI, THEY decreed that Cash not play again until he had surgery. The money quote:

"He was not really given a choice. It was really frustrating to him. The health of the player is always first. It’s an unfortunate thing for him. We’ll deal with it and manage it.”

-- Cutcliffe did say that the doctors believe the surgery was successful and Cash will have a full recovery.

duke blue brewcrew
12-18-2015, 10:51 AM
Cutcliffe explains the Cash situation at today's bowl press conference:

-- It's not a chronic injury -- its a specific injury he suffered in the Virginia game.

-- It really started to bother him in the second half against Wake, so the staff ordered an MRI.

-- After the doctors saw the MRI, THEY decreed that Cash not play again until he had surgery. The money quote:

"He was not really given a choice. It was really frustrating to him. The health of the player is always first. It’s an unfortunate thing for him. We’ll deal with it and manage it.”

-- Cutcliffe did say that the doctors believe the surgery was successful and Cash will have a full recovery.

That's great insight, thanks for sharing. Cash handed out a lot of punishment during his career. It's unfortunate that the one time he gets dinged up is right before his final bowl game. I'm glad to hear the surgery went well, and I hope he's ready to roll for combine season in the upcoming months.

nmduke2001
12-18-2015, 10:59 AM
I was wondering if Cash would have his number retired. So I did a quick google search and according to this article

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=1599076

not a single Duke football player has ever had their number retired. Can this be right?