PDA

View Full Version : Bo Ryan Retiring Immediately

SCMatt33
12-15-2015, 11:43 PM
Bo Ryan has just announced that he is retiring, effective immediately (http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/12/15/wisconsin-badgers-bo-ryan-retiring). I'm actually not surprised at this news, not because Wisconsin had struggled this year, but because Ryan has been very intent on getting Greg Gard the gig as his successor and this guarantees Gard a half-season audition.

tbyers11
12-15-2015, 11:54 PM
Bo Ryan has just announced that he is retiring, effective immediately (http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/12/15/wisconsin-badgers-bo-ryan-retiring). I'm actually not surprised at this news, not because Wisconsin had struggled this year, but because Ryan has been very intent on getting Greg Gard the gig as his successor and this guarantees Gard a half-season audition.

Yeah, this is reminiscent of Dean retiring a week before practice started in October 1997 so that UNC had no choice but to give the job to Guthridge. I've heard that Bo really wanted Gard to get the job, but that Barry Alvarez, the AD, wanted to do a national search. Alvarez said that Gard would be a candidate but wouldn't automatically be given the job. Hence Bo hemming and hawing about when he will retire.

As you said, Gard now gets an audition. Thing is this Wisconsin's worst team in years. My high school buddy, who is a Badgers season ticket holder and huge fan, responded with "jump ship before it sinks, I guess" when I texted him the news. It will be tough for Gard to have a good Big Ten campaign.

SCMatt33
12-16-2015, 12:15 AM
As you said, Gard now gets an audition. Thing is this Wisconsin's worst team in years. My high school buddy, who is a Badgers season ticket holder and huge fan, responded with "jump ship before it sinks, I guess" when I texted him the news. It will be tough for Gard to have a good Big Ten campaign.

So I just watched the video of his press conference (in the middle of the link I posted earlier), and It really seems like this was planned in advance, at least between Ryan and Alvarez. He doesn't specify a time when the conversation happened, but he does say that he and Alvarez had a conversation and decided that the end of the semester would be the best time to retire, so I don't actually think he's jumping ship here. He also makes it clear that this timing gives Gard a shot at the job for half a year, which would imply to me that perhaps this was a compromise between Ryan and Alvarez, so that Gard could get a chance at the job, but Alvarez still gets to do a national search if he chooses.

I do highly recommend watching the press conference video to everyone. It's about 10 minutes and you can really see Ryan's emotions come out. Heck, he even carves out a minute to compliment the job the media has done over the years!

Edouble
12-16-2015, 12:48 AM
So I just watched the video of his press conference (in the middle of the link I posted earlier), and It really seems like this was planned in advance, at least between Ryan and Alvarez. He doesn't specify a time when the conversation happened, but he does say that he and Alvarez had a conversation and decided that the end of the semester would be the best time to retire, so I don't actually think he's jumping ship here. He also makes it clear that this timing gives Gard a shot at the job for half a year, which would imply to me that perhaps this was a compromise between Ryan and Alvarez, so that Gard could get a chance at the job, but Alvarez still gets to do a national search if he chooses.

I do highly recommend watching the press conference video to everyone. It's about 10 minutes and you can really see Ryan's emotions come out. Heck, he even carves out a minute to compliment the job the media has done over the years!

One could describe this as a half season rent-a-coach scenario.

At least we rent our players for the whole year!

subzero02
12-16-2015, 01:27 AM
I wish Bo the best... aside from his post national championship game comments, I have liked him as a coach and tv personality.

KenTankerous
12-16-2015, 05:06 AM
One could describe this as a half season rent-a-coach scenario.

At least we rent our players for the whole year!

Do you?

Kyrie's toe...

dukelifer
12-16-2015, 06:20 AM
Yeah, this is reminiscent of Dean retiring a week before practice started in October 1997 so that UNC had no choice but to give the job to Guthridge. I've heard that Bo really wanted Gard to get the job, but that Barry Alvarez, the AD, wanted to do a national search. Alvarez said that Gard would be a candidate but wouldn't automatically be given the job. Hence Bo hemming and hawing about when he will retire.

But Dean left Gut a national championship caliber team with two future NBA All-Stars.

OldPhiKap
12-16-2015, 07:36 AM
Time to rent a house at the beach.

Always respected Bo, the post-game comments gave me a bitter taste though.

monkey
12-16-2015, 08:12 AM

Had always thought positively about him until that. After those sour grapes, I feel differently. Lessened his stature considerably in my eyes. And the disappointment of not riding out at the top (suggested by DBR in its article) doesn't change that ... Anyone can be gracious when they are on top - the true measure of a man is when they are down.

SCMatt33
12-16-2015, 08:48 AM
I don't how people are suddenly thinking less of Bo because of that press conference. It didn't seem too much out of character to me. I certainly understand people not liking Bo because of his personality and demeanor, but that was no different than he's always been. How someone could think positive of him after the whole rent-a-player thing last year, but suddenly think less of him now is beyond me. Personally, I don't mind any of it from him, but I also grew up only a few miles from Bo Ryan's original home in Southeast PA so his kind of personality is very familiar to me and I certainly get that it rubs a lot of people the wrong way. I'll watch that presser again, but I didn't see anything the first time that was particularly inflammatory.

freshmanjs
12-16-2015, 09:06 AM
I don't how people are suddenly thinking less of Bo because of that press conference. It didn't seem too much out of character to me. I certainly understand people not liking Bo because of his personality and demeanor, but that was no different than he's always been. How someone could think positive of him after the whole rent-a-player thing last year, but suddenly think less of him now is beyond me. Personally, I don't mind any of it from him, but I also grew up only a few miles from Bo Ryan's original home in Southeast PA so his kind of personality is very familiar to me and I certainly get that it rubs a lot of people the wrong way. I'll watch that presser again, but I didn't see anything the first time that was particularly inflammatory.

they are referring to the press conference after the Duke game in April.

Mike Corey
12-16-2015, 09:10 AM
Time to rent a house at the beach.

Bo was...unpleasant...before then, too.

In 2011, when told an Ohio State player had been spit on by a Wisconsin student, Ryan responded, "All I know is, we won the game. Deal with it."

Ryan's a good coach. But I'm glad he's not a Blue Devil.

SCMatt33
12-16-2015, 09:18 AM
they are referring to the press conference after the Duke game in April.

I see. Given that he announced his retirement during a post game press conference, I figured there was something in there I missed. Carry on.

Duke95
12-16-2015, 09:41 AM
Do you?

Kyrie's toe...

Appropriate for the UK fan on board to make an appearance on this thread.

You know that 38-1? That 1 was Bo Ryan. :)

elvis14
12-16-2015, 09:43 AM

UK fans should be big Bo Ryan fans. Saved them from going 39-1 and losing to Duke in the final (and we all know they would have hated losing to us even more).

Indoor66
12-16-2015, 09:51 AM
UK fans should be big Bo Ryan fans. Saved them from going 39-1 and losing to Duke in the final (and we all know they would have hated losing to us even more).

Heads would have exploded in Lexington. Possibly the entire town would have burned. A catastrophe of epic proportions. Mourning for weeks and weeks. Suicide. Murder and mayhem. National Guard. If it happened it would have been incredible.

flyingdutchdevil
12-16-2015, 09:54 AM
Heads would have exploded in Lexington. Possibly the entire town would have burned. A catastrophe of epic proportions. Mourning for weeks and weeks. Suicide. Murder and mayhem. National Guard. If it happened it would have been incredible.

"I Still Hate Okafor" shirts in 20 years? Or "I Still Hate Tyus"?

slower
12-16-2015, 10:11 AM

Good riddance. Never cared for the guy.

johnb
12-16-2015, 10:19 AM
He'd have a hard time recovering in my eyes after the Duke press conference. When it became clear that this was simply his long-time personality, it left me thanking the heavens that we weren't following a successful program led by a jerk.

And now, if he actually planned to retire in order to tie the hands of his AD and forcing the hiring of his chosen replacement, well, I guess such shenanigans are expectable but I'd be shocked if K did such a thing. Reminds me a bit of Gary Williams, with his paranoia. I'm sure both he and Ryan are fine when they win and that they don't kick the family dog, but these aren't 19 year olds getting angry while intoxicated. These are adults who can't actually tolerate losing. That is not the goal of a successful life.

Tom B.
12-16-2015, 12:34 PM

I always thought Wisconsin would take a run at Tony Bennett whenever Bo decided to hang 'em up. Maybe that's what Alvarez has planned for after the season.

devildeac
12-16-2015, 01:32 PM

Yea, I kinda liked Bo for that one night stand...

Indoor66
12-16-2015, 01:58 PM
Yea, I kinda liked Bo for that one night stand...

Heck of a year, that last one. Beat the best team, evah; lost to the National Champions twice.

Henderson
12-16-2015, 02:28 PM
Had a good team then lost and trashed the winning team in the post-game presser.

Bye Bo. Sorry about that on-the-way-out bruise on your backside.

Another person retires when he gets too old to compete or wants to do something more fun than work. Happens every day. Life = on.

Did I mention "g-bye"?

tbyers11
12-16-2015, 02:51 PM
I always thought Wisconsin would take a run at Tony Bennett whenever Bo decided to hang 'em up. Maybe that's what Alvarez has planned for after the season.

Yeah, they might. Not sure Bennett would want to make the move though.

Speculation I'm hearing now is that Alvarez did agree to give the job to Gard, but that they didn't want to make the transition before the season began as Gard was quite pre-occupied with his father's fight with brain cancer. Sadly, Gard's father passed away in October. I guess the transition could happen now. This could very well be the case, but it would still make sense to me to wait until after the season is over.

Oddly, Dick Bennett did the same thing to Wisconsin back in November 2000 when he abruptly retired (http://web.archive.org/web/20010417160949/http://www.jsonline.com/badger/bkb/nov00/1bennett113000.asp) 3 games into the season, citing burnout.

allenmurray
12-16-2015, 03:02 PM
Do you?

Kyrie's toe...

Really - making fun of a player's injury?

Edouble
12-16-2015, 03:06 PM
Do you?

Kyrie's toe...

I don't really get it. Would you have wanted Kyrie to play in his boot?

Clay Feet POF
12-16-2015, 10:40 PM
STAY Tuned!

Henderson
12-16-2015, 11:15 PM
I don't really get it. Would you have wanted Kyrie to play in his boot?

STAY Tuned!

So Kyrie still has three (?) years of NCAA eligibility left.

Lebron has 4.

Kobe has 4.

KD has 3.

Uncle Drew has about 80.

Round up the troops and let's ball.

#Getbuckets

Clay Feet POF
12-17-2015, 12:00 AM
Bo Rumors,.. STAY Tuned

OldPhiKap
12-17-2015, 06:42 AM
So Kyrie still has three (?) years of NCAA eligibility left.

Lebron has 4.

Kobe has 4.

KD has 3.

Uncle Drew has about 80.

Round up the troops and let's ball.

#Getbuckets

Maybe Uncle Drew can bring The Big Man with him.

Bo Rumors,.. STAY Tuned

New OC for our football team?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-17-2015, 06:53 AM
Really - making fun of a player's injury?

Clearly, it was a joke - a bad joke. This forum has seen some... questionable posts from KenTank this week already.

But are we really still sensitive about an unfortunate injury several years ago? Clearly, the kid seems to have made it okay despite the toe problem. I wouldn't say that Kyrie's injury decimated the program by any stretch.

Ken says these absurd things to get a reaction, and we are feeding him what he wants, reinforcing whatever his motivation is.

Oh, and peace out Bo. Like others here, I used to admire you, I found your style of ball excruciating to watch, and thought your post-game in April was pretty sour grapes. Quite a complicated legacy to leave behind.

cspan37421
12-17-2015, 07:09 AM
And now, if he actually planned to retire in order to tie the hands of his AD and forcing the hiring of his chosen replacement, well, I guess such shenanigans are expectable but I'd be shocked if K did such a thing. Reminds me a bit of Gary Williams, with his paranoia.

Or Jim Calhoun with his handing over the reins to Kevin Ollie.

Worked out well for them, in the short run anyway.