PDA

View Full Version : Semi Ojeleye Update

tfk53
12-15-2015, 10:25 PM
I was at a wedding a few weeks ago and had a chance to talk with someone who is part of the SMU basketball staff - had to ask him about Semi (someone I was very disappointed to see leave Duke). He talked mostly about what an exceptional young man and great teammate he was - that the star was incredibly pleased to have him on board at SMU. He would not commit to telling me how much of a role Semi might play for SMU this year once he becomes eligible after the end of the first semester - which is coming soon. I got the sense that Semi was still growing into being a basketball player. I wonder if he will blossom much like Silent G has at Syracuse this year.

Sounds like he is being a stellar citizen at SMU.

There are rumors he may redshirt this year, especially with the postseason ban facing SMU and Larry Brown this year. Link below. (Could not get him to talk about the ban, though. Clearly not happy about it.)

http://www.hngn.com/articles/160605/20151215/smu-basketball-rumors-semi-ojeleye-to-redshirt-this-season.htm

Additionally, he was nominated for Allstate NABC Good Works team - a distinguished award that highlights student-athletes who have shown dedication to community service and altruism in their communities.

http://www.smumustangs.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/120215aaa.html

CDu
12-15-2015, 10:41 PM
Redshirting is not an option. The transfer was effectively his redshirt year. So he will complete his sophomore of eligibility this Spring whether he plays or not.

That being said, I am glad to hear he is fitting in well there.

SCMatt33
12-15-2015, 10:56 PM
Redshirting is not an option. The transfer was effectively his redshirt year. So he will complete his sophomore of eligibility this Spring whether he plays or not.

That being said, I am glad to hear he is fitting in well there.

It's kind of reverse. His sophomore year was last year (the 1 game=1 season principle in the bylaws). If he plays at all this year, it's actually his junior year, so there is definitely an incentive to red shirt.

EDIT: Just in case there is some confusion over the mid-season transfer rule, I posted in great deal about Semi's situation back in September (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?36503-NCAA-Rules-on-SMU&p=828851#post828851). Mike DeCourcy of The Sporting News also happened to post an article today about why mid season transfers often make no sense (http://www.sportingnews.com/list/4688096-transfers-college-basketball-midseason-list) in the wake of a Texas A&M player announcing a transfer (though I personally think that it's a bit extreme to make blanket statements about what's best for kids if they feel thy are in a bad situation)

CDu
12-16-2015, 09:16 AM
It's kind of reverse. His sophomore year was last year (the 1 game=1 season principle in the bylaws). If he plays at all this year, it's actually his junior year, so there is definitely an incentive to red shirt.

EDIT: Just in case there is some confusion over the mid-season transfer rule, I posted in great deal about Semi's situation back in September (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?36503-NCAA-Rules-on-SMU&p=828851#post828851). Mike DeCourcy of The Sporting News also happened to post an article today about why mid season transfers often make no sense (http://www.sportingnews.com/list/4688096-transfers-college-basketball-midseason-list) in the wake of a Texas A&M player announcing a transfer (though I personally think that it's a bit extreme to make blanket statements about what's best for kids if they feel thy are in a bad situation)

Wow, I always assumed that logic would have applied on midseason transfers. Those rules really make no sense!

DukieInKansas
12-16-2015, 10:16 AM
Wow, I always assumed that logic would have applied on midseason transfers. Those rules really make no sense!

You tried to associate the NCAA with logic. That is FUNNY!

johnb
12-16-2015, 10:22 AM

I imagine the logic is to heavily punish athletes who try to leave once the season has started. I wonder whether coaches had any hand in writing that role.

Indoor66
12-16-2015, 01:00 PM
I imagine the logic is to heavily punish athletes who try to leave once the season has started. I wonder whether coaches had any hand in writing that role.

I have no difficulty for the rule. Each side of the deal knows the rules. The school takes the larger risk on a one year basis. To leave part way through a year is a large burden on the school. That said, scholarships should be for four years unless terminated for cause.

Ichabod Drain
12-16-2015, 04:44 PM
I have no difficulty for the rule. Each side of the deal knows the rules. The school takes the larger risk on a one year basis. To leave part way through a year is a large burden on the school. That said, scholarships should be for four years unless terminated for cause.

Why is it a large burden on the school?

Indoor66
12-16-2015, 05:58 PM
Because the school and program plans for a team and style. The single athlete is one part of that plan. The unexpected mid-year departure can have a significant impact. Transfer at the end of the year can be better dealt with.

SCMatt33
12-16-2015, 05:58 PM
Why is it a large burden on the school?

You're literally walking away in the middle of a season mid there is zero way for the school to replace you. That being said, also bear in mind that the rule governing season of play, and the one governing transfers are completely separate. There is no intent in the bylaws to differentiate between mid season transfers and off season transfers. The fact that basketball plays over two semesters creates this quirk of the rules. In any one semester sport, there is no way to transfer without sitting out a full season unless you get a waiver (grad school is pretty much the only one left).

Ichabod Drain
12-17-2015, 12:32 AM
You're literally walking away in the middle of a season mid there is zero way for the school to replace you. That being said, also bear in mind that the rule governing season of play, and the one governing transfers are completely separate. There is no intent in the bylaws to differentiate between mid season transfers and off season transfers. The fact that basketball plays over two semesters creates this quirk of the rules. In any one semester sport, there is no way to transfer without sitting out a full season unless you get a waiver (grad school is pretty much the only one left).

How many guys that leave mid season have been a crucial members of that team? I'm sure there's probably a few but I would guess the vast majority left because they weren't getting the burn they thought they would.

MCFinARL
12-17-2015, 09:59 AM
How many guys that leave mid season have been a crucial members of that team? I'm sure there's probably a few but I would guess the vast majority left because they weren't getting the burn they thought they would.

Sure, but such players can often be making important contributions in practice, affecting the way scrimmages can be set up, etc., so it can still have an impact.

As to Semi, based on everything I heard about his time at Duke, I'm not at all surprised to hear he is a model citizen at SMU. Seems to be a hard worker, a good teammate, and a great student--I know Coach K said very nice things about him when he left, to make clear that it was solely Semi's choice. Perhaps for him the mid-season transfer worked precisely because, though he obviously wanted to play more than he would be able to at Duke, he did not want to take an extra year to graduate from college. If he doesn't see a pro basketball career as a major part of his future, that might make a lot of sense.

Olympic Fan
12-17-2015, 07:03 PM

Larry Drew II was averaging 23 minutes a game when he quit UNC at midseason in 2011. Actually. he didn't leave between semesters , but a month into the second semester (which was stupid on his part since he had to sit out the entire 2011-12 season and not just the first semester). His departure did make UNC much better as it finally forced Roy to play Kendall Marshall fulltime at the point (the two had been splitting time fairly equally before Drew's departure).

My favorite part was the rap that Drew recorded on his 21st birthday (just after he left):

"The past three years I can't undo, so now I'm making all the moves that I want to ... They tried to tell me just to play my role, but who's really trying to stick to a script that's full of typos?"

tfk53
01-07-2016, 10:55 PM
Semi continues to not get into any games for SMU with at least 5 games into being eligible to play after transfer last December. SMU remains undefeated at 14-0. Looks like red shirt on its way for Semi.

Also re SMU, their junior guard, Keith Frazier, has apparently left the team, according to ESPN. He has not played in either game this year and was averaging 11.9 ppg.
He was the player at the center of the academic problem that put Larry Brown into suspension and SMU on probation this year.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14511878/jeff-frazier-smu-mustangs-left-team

MChambers
01-08-2016, 08:11 AM
Semi continues to not get into any games for SMU with at least 5 games into being eligible to play after transfer last December. SMU remains undefeated at 14-0. Looks like red shirt on its way for Semi.

Also re SMU, their junior guard, Keith Frazier, has apparently left the team, according to ESPN. He has not played in either game this year and was averaging 11.9 ppg.
He was the player at the center of the academic problem that put Larry Brown into suspension and SMU on probation this year.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14511878/jeff-frazier-smu-mustangs-left-team

Very odd. SMU only had six players last night, so you would think Semi could have helped a lot.

AustinDevil
01-08-2016, 09:55 AM
Very odd. SMU only had six players last night, so you would think Semi could have helped a lot.

You two may not be aware that Semi redshirted. It made sense for two reasons. First, given the overlap of the semester-transfer rules and the four-seasons-of-eligibility rules, had he played starting in January he would've had two seasons (his last at Duke and his first at SMU) when he played only a partial year. Better to redshirt for 2014-15 and get a full playing year in 2015-16. Second, with the school's choice not to appeal the late-August NCAA penalties, SMU is taking the postseason ban this year and getting it over with, so at the time Semi decided to redshirt, there didn't seem to be much to play for. Now that they are one game shy of halfway to an undefeated season, yes, they could use him, but the original decision still makes the most sense.

Clay Feet POF
01-08-2016, 10:48 AM

I didn't see him on the bench, I think his number is 33. I did see two guys in suits on the bench.

tfk53
01-09-2016, 06:59 PM
You two may not be aware that Semi redshirted. It made sense for two reasons. First, given the overlap of the semester-transfer rules and the four-seasons-of-eligibility rules, had he played starting in January he would've had two seasons (his last at Duke and his first at SMU) when he played only a partial year. Better to redshirt for 2014-15 and get a full playing year in 2015-16. Second, with the school's choice not to appeal the late-August NCAA penalties, SMU is taking the postseason ban this year and getting it over with, so at the time Semi decided to redshirt, there didn't seem to be much to play for. Now that they are one game shy of halfway to an undefeated season, yes, they could use him, but the original decision still makes the most sense.

Appreciate the input, AustinDevil - had not seen anything official re his redshirting. Agree that original logic makes sense but SMU may be wishing they could ask for a "do over."

tbyers11
01-09-2016, 07:40 PM
Appreciate the input, AustinDevil - had not seen anything official re his redshirting. Agree that original logic makes sense but SMU may be wishing they could ask for a "do over."

SMU could still ask for a do-over. Redshirt decisions aren't binding. You can chose to play at any time. Northwestern just took the redshirt off one of their players a week or so ago after an injury. However, it is definitely not in Semi's best interests to take the redshirt off.

Unless you meant SMU wanted a do-over on the entire decision of Semi transferring there at all. That is an entirely different situation though.

AustinDevil
01-10-2016, 09:51 AM
SMU could still ask for a do-over. Redshirt decisions aren't binding. You can chose to play at any time. Northwestern just took the redshirt off one of their players a week or so ago after an injury. However, it is definitely not in Semi's best interests to take the redshirt off.

Unless you meant SMU wanted a do-over on the entire decision of Semi transferring there at all. That is an entirely different situation though.

Agree with you that they could choose to burn the redshirt anytime. And maybe if they are still undefeated going into their final six games (2 with UConn, at Memphis, and at Cincinnati are among them), plus a key injury to one of the remaining 7 scholarship players, they will be tempted. They still shouldn't do it though.

CDu
01-10-2016, 10:07 AM

And to be honest, it isn't really in SMU's best interests either. They are on probation this year, so no tourneys to be had. They will benefit more from the extra year of Ojeleye when they can actually participate in the postseason tourneys again.

FerryFor50
12-06-2016, 03:08 PM
Digging this old thread up because I've been following Semi's SMU career, and... it's pretty impressive so far.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66915/semi-ojeleye

17ppg, nearly 8 boards, hitting 44% of his threes.

BD80
12-06-2016, 03:34 PM
Digging this old thread up because I've been following Semi's SMU career, and... it's pretty impressive so far.

Sounds like they're getting the full Ojeleye

yancem
12-06-2016, 03:51 PM

Not that it has overly hurt us (although an extra body last year would have been nice) but I was disappointed when Ojeleye transferred. He has a tone of potential and was fun to watch, just needed to be a little more patient. I felt the same about Gbinije and really hope that DeLaurier sticks around for the same reason.

NSDukeFan
12-06-2016, 04:01 PM
Not that it has overly hurt us (although an extra body last year would have been nice) but I was disappointed when Ojeleye transferred. He has a tone of potential and was fun to watch, just needed to be a little more patient. I felt the same about Gbinije and really hope that DeLaurier sticks around for the same reason.

I agree, but would add Murphy in there as a guy I was disappointed to see go. Understandable for all of them, but as a four year player fan, I would have loved to see what they could have done as upperclassmen for Duke.

FerryFor50
12-06-2016, 04:21 PM
I agree, but would add Murphy in there as a guy I was disappointed to see go. Understandable for all of them, but as a four year player fan, I would have loved to see what they could have done as upperclassmen for Duke.

We kind of dodged a bullet with Murphy; he ended up being pretty injury prone at Florida and didn't do a whole lot there.

However, he's doing decently at Northeastern:

http://www.gonu.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4548

DoubleBlue
12-06-2016, 05:09 PM
Here's a recent interview of Semi:
Semi Ojeleye interview - 2016 2K Classic (11.17.16)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D8dnR9HRLE
Published on Nov 17, 2016
After SMU's 76-67 win over Pittsburgh in the 2K Classic benefiting Wounded Warrior Project semifinals at Madison Square Garden, A Lot of Sports Talk's Lauren Foti spoke with Mustangs forward Semi Ojeleye, who scored 24 points in the semifinal victory over the Panthers.

NSDukeFan
12-06-2016, 07:03 PM
We kind of dodged a bullet with Murphy; he ended up being pretty injury prone at Florida and didn't do a whole lot there.

However, he's doing decently at Northeastern:

http://www.gonu.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4548

Duke players typically don't get foot injuries, so he would have been fine had he stayed. (Ducks, hides) (Or maybe he got a foot injury because he once played at Duke?)

OldPhiKap
12-06-2016, 07:50 PM
Duke players typically don't get foot injuries, so he would have been fine had he stayed. (Ducks, hides) (Or maybe he got a foot injury because he once played at Duke?)

Maybe the robocop maintenance budget ain't what it used to be.