PDA

View Full Version : Rajon Rondo Calls a Gay NBA Official What?

Henderson
12-14-2015, 04:15 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25413499/report-rajon-rondo-suspended-for-directing-homophobic-slurs-at-official

What does "f_____g f____t" mean, and why would that be directed at a gay person?

budwom
12-14-2015, 04:19 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25413499/report-rajon-rondo-suspended-for-directing-homophobic-slurs-at-official

What does "f_____g f____t" mean, and why would that be directed at a gay person?

At the risk of playing Wheel of Fortune on this, I think I can guess exactly what he said, and exactly why he said it. Seems like basic homophobe rant #1 to me.
You having trouble filling in the blanks? Or just being ironic??

devildeac
12-14-2015, 04:38 PM

At the risk of playing Wheel of Fortune on this, I think I can guess exactly what he said, and exactly why he said it. Seems like basic homophobe rant #1 to me.
You having trouble filling in the blanks? Or just being ironic??

I'd like to buy a vowel, please...

I'll agree w/budwom here, plus he probably has this deep-rooted desire to have a few game vacation and subsidize a local charity with a 5 or 6 figure donation :rolleyes: .

DUKIECB
12-14-2015, 04:52 PM

What does "f_____g f____t" mean, and why would that be directed at a gay person?I think he told him he had frog feet. Either that or he called him a farting ferret. Not sure.

Billy Dat
12-14-2015, 04:59 PM
It's one thing to use that nasty pejorative, it's far worse if he knew Kennedy's sexuality and used it to specifically demean him. Bad look for all involved, and perhaps the first crisis that Silver won't handle very well as the suspension seems lite.

jmck214
12-14-2015, 05:15 PM
It's one thing to use that nasty pejorative, it's far worse if he knew Kennedy's sexuality and used it to specifically demean him. Bad look for all involved, and perhaps the first crisis that Silver won't handle very well as the suspension seems lite.

Rondo definitely knew he was a homosexual. Doc Rivers called Kennedy a *** years ago it just didn't get any publicity because it was pre twitter and because Doc is considered a "great guy"

Dukehky
12-14-2015, 05:24 PM
Rondo definitely knew he was a homosexual. Doc Rivers called Kennedy a *** years ago it just didn't get any publicity because it was pre twitter and because Doc is considered a "great guy"

Doc Rivers is one of the most overrated coaches in the history of the NBA as well.

Rondo is one of the worst people in the NBA, exemplified by this. This is a no win situation for Silver because he can't go back and re-suspend him. That is Goodell-esque. Suspending a person for just using words, as awful as they may be hasn't ever been done in the NBA before, so who knows.

Billy Dat
12-14-2015, 05:30 PM
Doc Rivers is one of the most overrated coaches in the history of the NBA as well.

Rondo is one of the worst people in the NBA, exemplified by this. This is a no win situation for Silver because he can't go back and re-suspend him. That is Goodell-esque. Suspending a person for just using words, as awful as they may be hasn't ever been done in the NBA before, so who knows.

On twitter earlier today, NBA betting guru Haralabob Voulgaris made the point that Danny Ferry lost his job and the Hawks owner basically had to sell the team for using a racially charged description of Luol Deng. Imagine if a gay player came out and was playing, what are the odds that he'd be called the same term in the heat of battle...about 100%. What would happen then? Interesting times indeed.

The Doc Rivers stuff is getting stirred back up because of this. I think this wave will roll out for a while.

KenTankerous
12-14-2015, 07:56 PM
Wait a minute!

Let's pretend for a minute that JJ Redick, a player of similar tenure and stature in the nba, called an official a f-----g n----r.

Suspended for the rest of the year. Fined twiced his salary. And beat the F--K down every time he went inside for the rest of his career.

Rightfully so.

This is 2015. This is unacceptable.

Troublemaker
12-14-2015, 08:42 PM
KenTank, I believe literally everyone had already understood the severity of Rondo's insult without you needing to clarify with your analogy.

freshmanjs
12-14-2015, 08:56 PM

FWIW, Doc claims this didn't happen.

Kfanarmy
12-14-2015, 09:08 PM
Amazing what people have time to wring their hands over. Someone u don't know called someone u don't know a name. There's a cause to get behind

HK Dukie
12-14-2015, 11:56 PM
KenTank, I believe literally everyone had already understood the severity of Rondo's insult without you needing to clarify with your analogy.

Well said, and I'll go further than Trouble. The post unnecessarily brought up a racist word. In 2015 THAT is unacceptable.

Troublemaker
12-15-2015, 12:09 AM
Well said, and I'll go further than Trouble. The post unnecessarily brought up a racist word. In 2015 THAT is unacceptable.

Agreed. KenTankerous' post #9 in this thread is somewhere between Trolling / Really Inappropriate Content (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?21833-Decorum-amp-Posting-Guidelines-(Please-read-before-posting!)&p=423518#post423518) and Insane and Trolling (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?21833-Decorum-amp-Posting-Guidelines-(Please-read-before-posting!)&p=423519#post423519), in my estimation. (I'm not a mod, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express!)

KenTankerous
12-15-2015, 04:33 AM
Sorry HK and Trouble but I beg to differ.

How is f-----g f----t okay but n----r somehow inappropriate and/or trolling?

If "literally" everyone found Rondo's comments offensive, why is he not facing some serious penalties and a whole lot more pressure from sports' fans?

The lbgtq community does not get the support when these wrongs are blasted across the social spectrum. It is oppressive and abusive and I will call it out every time I hear or see it just like I call out racism, elitism, misogyny and over-priced beer. I used the JJ reference to make it pertinent to this board and a blastful reminder of how racism is now taboo while homo-, trans- and queerphobia are still not-just-tacitly approved, especially in the sports' realm of our society.

Also, the mods here do a fantastic job of keeping things on track and within guidelines. Trust me, they check me on the regular. They do NOT need your help. While I do not shy from abrasion when warranted, I do respect everyone who posts here and I will revisit the posting guidelines in the sticky, just to give your posts their due diligence.

Happy Holidays you d----t---g bl-----n j--------ts!

Jeffrey
12-15-2015, 10:19 AM
Didn't Kobe do something similar and merely have to write a check?

CDu
12-15-2015, 10:24 AM
Didn't Kobe do something similar and merely have to write a check?

He did something sort of similar. He "just" used the pejorative loosely, not directed at someone he actually believed to be gay. Not that that is necessarily better (or worse). Just different. Still very wrong.

Also, if I recall correctly, the general tone of Bryant's slur was more off-hand than Rondo's, who also physically confronted the ref in addition to really lashing out with the slurs.

But, to be honest, that was probably handled poorly by the league as well.

kAzE
12-15-2015, 10:25 AM
Danny Ferry did something like this (in a private setting, no less) and lost his job . . .

BigWayne
12-15-2015, 01:42 PM
Danny Ferry did something like this (in a private setting, no less) and lost his job . . .

The rules of collective outrage include a sliding scale based on the demographic characteristics of the offender and the offendee. See the posts above to see it in action.

Troublemaker
12-15-2015, 01:57 PM
The rules of collective outrage include a sliding scale based on the demographic characteristics of the offender and the offendee. See the posts above to see it in action.

That's probably true, but it's also based on us Duke basketball fans not wanting to discuss this stuff here and not wanting to be provoked into discussing it. We use DBR and Duke basketball as a hobby and, for some, escapism. There are other avenues to get into the nitty gritty of this incident. Facebook friends, twitter friends, political boards, etc.

Troublemaker
12-15-2015, 02:18 PM
Sorry HK and Trouble but I beg to differ.

How is f-----g f----t okay but n----r somehow inappropriate and/or trolling?

Neither is okay in my book. I wish the story wasn't brought up in the first place as I view it as off-topic & PPB, but if it's going to be brought up, then it is okay for Henderson to report what Rondo said.

What you did was unnecessarily draw a provocative analogy to the incident. Unnecessary provocation is the definition of trolling (https://www.google.com/webhp?ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=trolling%20definition).

If "literally" everyone found Rondo's comments offensive, why is he not facing some serious penalties and a whole lot more pressure from sports' fans?

It's possible to find it offensive AND dole out a 1-game suspension, which is what happened.

As for sports fans, we just want to talk sports and allow the league to handle it. If we are disappointed by the league's punishment and wanted to go into activist mode, there are certainly appropriate avenues to do so. Not sports forums.

The lbgtq community does not get the support when these wrongs are blasted across the social spectrum. It is oppressive and abusive and I will call it out every time I hear or see it just like I call out racism, elitism, misogyny and over-priced beer. I used the JJ reference to make it pertinent to this board and a blastful reminder of how racism is now taboo while homo-, trans- and queerphobia are still not-just-tacitly approved, especially in the sports' realm of our society.

It was a poor tactic. You converted zero people (not that anyone here needed to see the light) and annoyed many with your unnecessarily provocative analogy.

Also, the mods here do a fantastic job of keeping things on track and within guidelines. Trust me, they check me on the regular. They do NOT need your help. While I do not shy from abrasion when warranted, I do respect everyone who posts here and I will revisit the posting guidelines in the sticky, just to give your posts their due diligence.

Happy Holidays you d----t---g bl-----n j--------ts!

Agree with you on everything here.

CDu
12-15-2015, 03:24 PM

Well, it's also slightly different in that there is the risk of discriminatory practice at play with Ferry's situation. As the GM making and proposing decisions on offering contracts, you just can't say things like that. As a player who has no impact on the hiring/firing of officials, there is a smaller impact.

Still bad, but one should certainly understand the difference. One is just extremely hurtful and extremely inappropriate. The other is also that, but also enters the realm of discrimination. And I realize that Ferry ultimately suggested offering Deng a contract. That's not the point.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-15-2015, 03:33 PM
I would point out that this particular incident and this particular uncomfortable topic and ensuing discussion have (thankfully) zero relevance to Duke basketball and I hereby move that it be shipped lock and key to the off topic board.

Edouble
12-15-2015, 03:42 PM
I would point out that this particular incident and this particular uncomfortable topic and ensuing discussion have (thankfully) zero relevance to Duke basketball and I hereby move that it be shipped lock and key to the off topic board.

If the General NBA Thread and 2015 Bowl Games, among others, have a place on the EK Board, I think this one does too. Seth is on the Kings, so I think this one is actually more closely linked to Duke Hoops than many main page threads that I have seen in the recent past.