PDA

View Full Version : I'm turning into John Feinstein

JDSBlueDevl
09-30-2007, 12:12 AM
I think I now see where John Feinstein is coming from. Coming to Pitt, I knew who was coming to coach the football team: the same guy who ruined my Miami Dolphins. I never understood the logic of Wannstedt's hire, and three years later, I'm still trying to figure it out. Meanwhile, my outright hatred for Wannstedt continued to grow, and my distaste for Pitt's Yinzer fans increased, especially as I warned them in the beginning, and even at the start of this season. Of course, when I go to bars, I start to hear whispers of "fire the coach" from the older fans, but it's the younger fans and Internet commenters who seem to direct their outright vitriol toward me.

And this came to a head tonight in the Pitt/Wahoos game. As the game was on ESPNUnavailable, I had to go to a bar with DirecTV to watch the game. Lo and behold, Pitt students were there, and apparently, they don't appreciate talk during the game or, for that matter, my verbal bashing of Wannstedt. Some b*tch complained, I tried to talk myself down, other b*st*rds joined in, I was trying to raise my voice to tell people I was trying to shut up, and then the bouncer comes to kick me out. Of course, I wasn't drunk and didn't plan on drinking tonight (no less, b/c I hate the taste of beer), but that didn't matter. Even though I walked out on my own, I felt like I was dragged out on my *ss and stabbed in the back by the Yinzer faithful (notice how I'm using "Yinzer" as a derogatory term rather than a term of endearment? Maybe I should call them "jagoffs" instead). Going to a different bar in Squirrel Hill, I'm surrounded by the disillusioned like myself and older fans. At least THEY get it and were willing to talk about the game.

So now I see where Feinstein is coming from. He warned people, they didn't listen. Hell, I'm sure they even heaped vitriol onto him. And when he was proven right, he frolicked in the schadenfreude, just like I seem to be doing with Pitt football.

Indoor66
09-30-2007, 08:45 AM
I think I now see where John Feinstein is coming from. Coming to Pitt, I knew who was coming to coach the football team: the same guy who ruined my Miami Dolphins. I never understood the logic of Wannstedt's hire, and three years later, I'm still trying to figure it out. Meanwhile, my outright hatred for Wannstedt continued to grow, and my distaste for Pitt's Yinzer fans increased, especially as I warned them in the beginning, and even at the start of this season. Of course, when I go to bars, I start to hear whispers of "fire the coach" from the older fans, but it's the younger fans and Internet commenters who seem to direct their outright vitriol toward me.

And this came to a head tonight in the Pitt/Wahoos game. As the game was on ESPNUnavailable, I had to go to a bar with DirecTV to watch the game. Lo and behold, Pitt students were there, and apparently, they don't appreciate talk during the game or, for that matter, my verbal bashing of Wannstedt. Some b*tch complained, I tried to talk myself down, other b*st*rds joined in, I was trying to raise my voice to tell people I was trying to shut up, and then the bouncer comes to kick me out. Of course, I wasn't drunk and didn't plan on drinking tonight (no less, b/c I hate the taste of beer), but that didn't matter. Even though I walked out on my own, I felt like I was dragged out on my *ss and stabbed in the back by the Yinzer faithful (notice how I'm using "Yinzer" as a derogatory term rather than a term of endearment? Maybe I should call them "jagoffs" instead). Going to a different bar in Squirrel Hill, I'm surrounded by the disillusioned like myself and older fans. At least THEY get it and were willing to talk about the game.

So now I see where Feinstein is coming from. He warned people, they didn't listen. Hell, I'm sure they even heaped vitriol onto him. And when he was proven right, he frolicked in the schadenfreude, just like I seem to be doing with Pitt football.

May God save your soul.

Wander
09-30-2007, 10:00 AM
You were yelling at people that you were trying to be quiet? What?

rthomas
09-30-2007, 10:45 AM

I agree with you on Wannstadt. He's pitiful. Worse than pitiful. He's The Pitifullest coach I've ever seen. But being from WVU, I find it hilarious. Sorry, dude. And beer helps. I drank enough of it this past Friday night.

At least, maybe we can agree that the Steelers are looking pretty tough this year.

mapei
09-30-2007, 12:02 PM
I must have missed something re Feinstein. What did he say about Pitt football?

JDSBlueDevl
09-30-2007, 02:02 PM
What I was saying was how easy it is to hate your alma mater. It's the sequence of coach, idiot fans, then team. And unfortunately Pitt has a lot of idiot fans.

And I probably should have mentioned that I have a slight communication disorder.

dukeENG2003
09-30-2007, 03:53 PM
the fans were simply pointing out that you were being a negative fan, which doesn't help anybody. Poor performance is no excuse for John F's negativity, nor for yours. If you're that disillusioned, just don't watch, they don't need you, just like Duke doesn't need fans who are going to be negative nancies.

YmoBeThere
09-30-2007, 04:08 PM
A small dose of skepticism sometimes helps. A group of pollyannas pretending nothing is wrong doesn't do any good either.

killerleft
09-30-2007, 04:20 PM
At one time, I would have been elated at being compared to John Feinstein. Not anymore. I certainly wouldn't make that comparison about myself.

wilson
09-30-2007, 04:27 PM
A group of pollyannas pretending nothing is wrong doesn't do any good either.

If ever there was a pregnant comment made around here, that's it.

arnie
09-30-2007, 06:33 PM
I've enjoyed Feinstein through the years and he is probably right-on regarding the administration at Duke. However, in the public forum in which he resides, many of his comments are unnecesary and appear bitter. I suspect he resents that no one at Duke has listened to him (however correct he may have been) and that has further corrupted his view of the school

Indoor66
09-30-2007, 06:57 PM
I've enjoyed Feinstein through the years and he is probably right-on regarding the administration at Duke. However, in the public forum in which he resides, many of his comments are unnecesary and appear bitter. I suspect he resents that no one at Duke has listened to him (however correct he may have been) and that has further corrupted his view of the school

Feinstein has been jaded on Duke for a number of years.

JDSBlueDevl
09-30-2007, 10:53 PM

Which was my point to begin with. Doesn't help that the idiot fans are an extension of the administration.

mapei
09-30-2007, 11:02 PM
I really can't stand JF any more.

dkbaseball
09-30-2007, 11:05 PM
Don't want to hijack the thread, but after San Diego's 1-3 start it occurs to me to ask: When are the Dallas Cowboy coordinators from 1992 finally going to run out of credit for that season? Wannstedt, the defensive coordinator, has proved beyond all doubt that he's not a head coach at any level. Norv Turner, the offensive coordinator, is now on his third NFL head coaching position, despite having thoroughly demonstrated that his range runs from mediocre to absolute disaster. You don't have to listen to the guy talk but once to know he has no chance of motivating players.

mapei
09-30-2007, 11:10 PM
I wish I could disagree, because there's a lot to like in Norv. (And, actually, his teams in Washington were no worse than they have been under Gibbs 2.) But Norv's record speaks for itself.

throatybeard
10-01-2007, 11:16 AM
But being from WVU, I find it hilarious. Sorry, dude. And beer helps.

Yeah, WTH happened.

South Florida over West Virginia is one more thing that complicates my view of Auburn. Auburn loses to South Florida and Mississippi State at home, and then turns around and wins at Florida. USF is looking better all the time.

rthomas
10-01-2007, 11:43 AM
Yeah, WTH happened.

South Florida over West Virginia is one more thing that complicates my view of Auburn. Auburn loses to South Florida and Mississippi State at home, and then turns around and wins at Florida. USF is looking better all the time.

USF is a good team. period.

mapei
10-01-2007, 02:50 PM
There were so many turnovers in that game!

Wander
10-01-2007, 05:11 PM
USF is looking like a national title contender.

killerleft
10-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Life blows in the breeze, not the mountains. I think. It appears that all the phrases are modifying 'life'. It looks like one of those poorly constructed sentences that I am so fond of typing. Mine haven't been immortalized in a country 'anthem', to my chagrin.

hurleyfor3
10-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Historically Feinstein has been a huge fan of Duke (the basketball team) but not so hot on Duke (the university). He still seems to be anti-UNC (the basketball team) and anti-Kentucky (the basketball team), so if he doesn't like Duke basketball, who does he like?

This is pretty much my point of view as well, although my attitude towards Duke (the university) is closer to ambivalence than outright hatred. But people are allowed not to like the place that gave them a degree. It doesn't mean you hated college or got nothing out of it -- by any account, Feinstein got a lot out of attending Duke. If it reveals a balanced view on a subject (one's alma mater) which most people are strongly biased in favor, so much the better.

duketaylor
10-02-2007, 10:50 AM
I've heard John host many talk shows and have read a fair amount of what he's written. It's my conclusion he simply hates Duke's administration and wishes everybody fired, save K. He's put K on such a pedestal it's scary; tho I'm not sure that's scary good or scary bad. Perhaps it's just that K sees things differently than many, and that's likely scary good. I also think John's put himself on a pedestal and doesn't want to listen to the average Duke grad/fan. We don't matter, IHO. Tho I would beg to differ with him. He seems quite the snob, IMO. Ugly old loafers and all;)

greybeard
10-02-2007, 12:49 PM
"May God save your soul."

"You were yelling at people that you were trying to be quiet? What?"

"I must have missed something re Feinstein. What did he say about Pitt football?"

Funny stuff, thanx for the giggle.

kjo3444
10-02-2007, 03:19 PM
One only has to see the stance that JF has taken with respect to the Lax situation (to this DAY, he still insists something went on) to realize that comparing yourself to that snobby know-it-all blowhard idiot is not a good thing.

There, I feel better.

OldPhiKap
10-02-2007, 03:23 PM
I love our hoops team but think Broadhead and Alleva should go. If that makes me like JF, so be it.

DukieInKansas
10-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Unless you are railing against Pitt football while watching Tiger Woods playing Pebble Beach, I wouldn't worry about turning into John Feinstein. Commenting on Duke during coverage of a Duke event is one thing, but throwing unflattering comments about your alma mater into a conversation regarding two other schools or a different sport is another. Until you start that, you aren't JF.