PDA

View Full Version : FB: Zac Roper Promoted to OC

fuse
12-13-2015, 09:32 PM
Curious for all the much better plugged in than I Duke football cogniscenti can share about the hunt for our next OC?

It will be very interesting to see what names come up publicly as part of the search.

Dukehky
12-13-2015, 09:40 PM
Peyton Manning!!!

Steve Spurrier!!!!

DtrainBuckshot
12-13-2015, 09:42 PM
I will start the speculation..Steve Spurrier!

mbird30
12-13-2015, 09:42 PM
Peyton Manning

OZZIE4DUKE
12-13-2015, 09:47 PM
OZZIE4DUKE! :cool:

devildeac
12-13-2015, 10:31 PM
John Latina

Cut=loyalty

(With Ozzie and Bob Green finishing tied for second choice:o.)

moonpie23
12-13-2015, 11:03 PM
Spurrier

Edouble
12-13-2015, 11:13 PM
John Stamos

OldPhiKap
12-14-2015, 06:47 AM
Tee Martin.

OldPhiKap
12-14-2015, 07:23 AM
Cut tweeted about 45 minutes ago that there is no hurry in the hire, he is focused on the Pinstripe.

duke blue brewcrew
12-14-2015, 08:31 AM
Cut tweeted about 45 minutes ago that there is no hurry in the hire, he is focused on the Pinstripe.

That makes total sense. So my question is, will Scottie be with the team through the Pinstripe Bowl, or will he be off starting his new ECU gig?

grad_devil
12-14-2015, 08:35 AM
That makes total sense. So my question is, will Scottie be with the team through the Pinstripe Bowl, or will he be off starting his new ECU gig?

According to Laura Keeley (https://twitter.com/laurakeeley/status/676184018992300033), Scottie will be the OC for the Pinstripe Bowl.

devildeac
12-14-2015, 09:20 AM

Saw somewhere that his ECU gig starts 1/1/16. AARRGGHH!!

DukieInKansas
12-14-2015, 09:55 AM
I'm going with Peyton Manning. If not OC, new QB coach.

flyingdutchdevil
12-14-2015, 09:56 AM
John Stamos

I second this. Maybe Bob Saget if we're really lucky.

duke blue brewcrew
12-14-2015, 12:24 PM
All jokes and fun aside, are there any serious candidates on the radar already? I know Cut isn't in a hurry, and will wait until after the Pinstripe Bowl to dig into this hiring. That said, you have to believe there is a shortlist somewhere already, right?

markbdevil
12-14-2015, 12:28 PM
I will start the speculation..Steve Spurrier!

I'd buy season tickets today if Spurrier was the OC!

budwom
12-14-2015, 12:28 PM
All jokes and fun aside, are there any serious candidates on the radar already? I know Cut isn't in a hurry, and will wait until after the Pinstripe Bowl to dig into this hiring. That said, you have to believe there is a shortlist somewhere already, right?

If there is one thing that Cutcliffe has been consistent about, and that's keeping info tucked away inside the Duke blue tent. You don't see much escaping, the man runs a tight
ship. Fans have thrown out the name Lubick (former assistant, now passing game coordinator at Oregon)...Cut may well have a list in his head, but it's unlikely we'll get to see it.

CameronBornAndBred
12-14-2015, 12:31 PM
Peyton Manning is a great guy to have on campus, but I don't want him anywhere's near the coaches box as the OC. Let's see him work his way up and prove himself with a more entry level assignment first. (At whatever school and whatever level he goes to, IF he turns to coaching.)
Remember a certain coach on K's bench named Johnny Dawkins? Know where he started out after he finished up in the NBA? The Duke ticket office.
Not saying Peyton should sell tickets (although we'd probably be guaranteed to sell out for the first time in forever), but he can earn his way up just like every other excellent coach has done.

budwom
12-14-2015, 12:42 PM
Peyton Manning is a great guy to have on campus, but I don't want him anywhere's near the coaches box as the OC. Let's see him work his way up and prove himself with a more entry level assignment first. (At whatever school and whatever level he goes to, IF he turns to coaching.)
Remember a certain coach on K's bench named Johnny Dawkins? Know where he started out after he finished up in the NBA? The Duke ticket office.
Not saying Peyton should sell tickets (although we'd probably be guaranteed to sell out for the first time in forever), but he can earn his way up just like every other excellent coach has done.

The notion that a guy worth a hundred million bucks would have the tiniest bit of interest in coaching at Duke is beyond preposterous, yet people keep bringing this up.
Santa Claus has much better odds of being on the Duke staff.

devildeac
12-14-2015, 12:47 PM
The notion that a guy worth a hundred million bucks would have the tiniest bit of interest in coaching at Duke is beyond preposterous, yet people keep bringing this up.

Well, he will be available after December 25 and have a lot less baggage then...

brevity
12-14-2015, 12:47 PM

Also, when the position opens January 1, Santa Claus will be available.

devildeac
12-14-2015, 12:49 PM
Well, he will be available after December 25 and have a lot less baggage then...

Great minds...

OldPhiKap
12-14-2015, 12:54 PM
Can Santa coach big men?

Asking, for a friend.

duke blue brewcrew
12-14-2015, 01:02 PM

I agree. I can't even let myself daydream about Peyton coming to Duke as the OC, it's just too far fetched. Spurrier is another one that I give a snowball's chance in Hades of happening. Both for the same reason. I can only imagine there are much bigger fish to fry on both gentlemen's radars than the OC position at Duke. Just my two cents. That said, I do hope that Duke can attract an attention grabbing replacement that instills confidence immediately in the team, the recruits and the fan base.

BigWayne
12-14-2015, 01:09 PM
If there is one thing that Cutcliffe has been consistent about, and that's keeping info tucked away inside the Duke blue tent. You don't see much escaping, the man runs a tight
ship. Fans have thrown out the name Lubick (former assistant, now passing game coordinator at Oregon)...Cut may well have a list in his head, but it's unlikely we'll get to see it.

Lubick is in the running for the OC position at Oregon. (http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2015/12/matt_lubick_thankful_to_be_inc.html)

Dukehky
12-14-2015, 02:07 PM
I wish Roper hadn't taken another job, and we could at least hope that he would come back. Scottie was a step down, and that's not really in question. I assume he worked hard, but if we're going to be a Football Program, working hard and doing "okay" shouldn't be what we're looking for. I think this may be a blessing in disguise provided Cut makes a good decision, I am confident he will.

budwom
12-14-2015, 03:21 PM

SO many people just assume all this toy making and delivery takes place in November and December. Not true! That guy works his butt off all year long...

Olympic Fan
12-14-2015, 03:27 PM
Lubick is in the running for the OC position at Oregon. (http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2015/12/matt_lubick_thankful_to_be_inc.html)

This could very well be why Cut is waiting to name a replacement for Scottie. He needs to find out of Lubick us going to get the Oregon OC job or not. If he does, then I expect John Latina to inherit the OC job (he was Cut's OC for awhile at Ole Miss) with a young QB coach coming in. If Lubick does NOT get the Oregon OC job, I could definitely see him coming to Durham as an OC.

mbird30
12-14-2015, 05:53 PM
SO many people just assume all this toy making and delivery takes place in November and December. Not true! That guy works his butt off all year long...

If he did he would probably lose some weight. I love Santa, but let's be real, he takes advantage of the lack of economic regulation in the north poll and in doing so does take advantage child, and some would say slave labor. If it weren't for the fact that the indigenous people to the north poll (ie: elves) claim to volunteer and have an incredibly happy personality the UN would do something about it. I guess what I'm trying to say is that Santa could afford to move down here for most of the year (with Mrs. Claus of course) because his job is really only done once annually.

budwom
12-15-2015, 08:57 AM
If he did he would probably lose some weight. I love Santa, but let's be real, he takes advantage of the lack of economic regulation in the north poll and in doing so does take advantage child, and some would say slave labor. If it weren't for the fact that the indigenous people to the north poll (ie: elves) claim to volunteer and have an incredibly happy personality the UN would do something about it. I guess what I'm trying to say is that Santa could afford to move down here for most of the year (with Mrs. Claus of course) because his job is really only done once annually.

along the lines of The Donald, I've heard Santa say "the elves, they LOVE me."

OldPhiKap
12-15-2015, 08:59 AM
along the lines of The Donald, I've heard Santa say "the elves, they LOVE me."

Anyone who works on a gift-for-cookie barter system of economics would be a complete disaster as a president. If that isn't too PPB to say.

As for an OC, though, still not sure I see it. Sure, the naughty/nice list from practice would help determine who plays. But what does Santa think of the bubble screen?

budwom
12-15-2015, 09:11 AM
^FWIW, I did note the relative disappearance of the bubble screen late in the season.
Most interesting to see how Mr. Montgomery goes out on the 26th...

tux
12-15-2015, 09:23 AM
This should be an interesting hire. When Roper left, Duke was coming off a coastal championship, so promoting a promising young assistant was more than tenable. Although the team continues to do well, and recruiting has been solid, the coastal picture has shifted with all the new hires (UVA, VT, Miami, etc.) My prediction is that Cut will want a bigger name --- if nothing else, you want those 2016 recruits to be reassured about the trajectory of the program... That said, Cut is also a man who sticks with his vision and he'll also want someone who is likely to stick around.

brevity
12-15-2015, 09:25 AM
Sure, the naughty/nice list from practice would help determine who plays.

The naughty/nice list can also apply to ACC officials.*

"Please review the play."
"Coach Claus, the rules clearly state-"
[takes out quill and scroll] "Are you suuuuuure?"
"Upon further review, the play... requires further review."

* There is precedent. In the Rankin/Bass TV production of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, the decision that Rudolph not join in any reindeer games was made by a reindeer official.

johnb
12-15-2015, 09:36 AM
I wish Roper hadn't taken another job, and we could at least hope that he would come back. Scottie was a step down, and that's not really in question. I assume he worked hard, but if we're going to be a Football Program, working hard and doing "okay" shouldn't be what we're looking for. I think this may be a blessing in disguise provided Cut makes a good decision, I am confident he will.

It's hard for me to really assess the quality of an OC. For example, Peyton Manning would be a disaster if he assumed that the Duke qb could make the plays of, say, PM, himself. Having said that, we lost a lot when Roper left. From a distance, we became conservative, predictable, and relatively unsuccessful in most every game this year. Is that because of personnel limitations or the OC? I really don't know. Nevertheless, I'd guess that this particular hire is the biggest for Cut since brought in the all star coaching team when he was first hired.

BigWayne
12-15-2015, 11:13 AM
It's hard for me to really assess the quality of an OC. For example, Peyton Manning would be a disaster if he assumed that the Duke qb could make the plays of, say, PM, himself.
Classic challenge of star performers going into management. Some figure it out, some don't. This mention reminded me of what I saw in spring practice 1980. QBs that were there before Ben Bennett showed up in the fall were running a drill with the WRs. They were not getting the footwork/dropback right so Spurrier steps in and demonstrates the way to do it. I look at the QBs after Spurrier does an exact seven step dropback and drills the receiver in stride. They are looking at each other saying "He expects us to do that?" I don't know if he just needed guys like Bennett to show up or he just figured it out over time, but he obviously eventually got the hang of it.

mbird30
12-15-2015, 12:27 PM
Anyone who works on a gift-for-cookie barter system of economics would be a complete disaster as a president. If that isn't too PPB to say.

As for an OC, though, still not sure I see it. Sure, the naughty/nice list from practice would help determine who plays. But what does Santa think of the bubble screen?

I think Santa enjoys the use of lots of screens (sort of like Minnesota) as well as play action deep balls, but what sometimes worries me is that he is too much of an optimist and that could come back to hurt us when he's calling plays. Also if his contract with coke is ongoing we won't be able to put him in Duke blue which may hurt recruiting. He would be a great recruiter otherwise though

CDu
12-15-2015, 12:41 PM
People didn't think highly of Roper as an OC before he left. Montgomery has been as questionable if not worse. Hopefully the next guy is better than both of the previous two guys as a play caller.

Happy for Montgomery, but I'm not sure this is a huge loss for us. It may be a nice "win-win" situation if we can find the right guy. I won't speculate on who the right guy will be (because I don't know anything about most of the potential candidates). But I can say that it won't be Spurrier (an ego thing) and it won't be Manning (not sure he's ready to retire and pretty sure he isn't interested in being a college OC).

OldPhiKap
12-15-2015, 12:42 PM
I think Santa enjoys the use of lots of screens (sort of like Minnesota) as well as play action deep balls, but what sometimes worries me is that he is too much of an optimist and that could come back to hurt us when he's calling plays. Also if his contract with coke is ongoing we won't be able to put him in Duke blue which may hurt recruiting. He would be a great recruiter otherwise though

His ties to Coke may land us some of the Polar Bear boys though. Talk about a fearsome front line.

Rip 'em up, tear 'em up, Give'm Hell DUKE!

mbird30
12-15-2015, 01:49 PM
His ties to Coke may land us some of the Polar Bear boys though. Talk about a fearsome front line.

Rip 'em up, tear 'em up, Give'm Hell DUKE!

They are prone to get penalties though...

Pghdukie
12-15-2015, 01:59 PM
I just think the elfs are not in the best of shape for pass protection.

CameronBornAndBred
12-15-2015, 02:33 PM
I just think the elfs are not in the best of shape for pass protection.
They are a bit undersized, too.

OldPhiKap
12-15-2015, 02:40 PM
i wonder if the Abominable Snowman from the old Rankin/Bass Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is available. He scared the willikers out of me when I was a kid, gave me some serious heeby-geebies.

Tripping William
12-15-2015, 03:13 PM
i wonder if the Abominable Snowman from the old Rankin/Bass Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is available. He scared the willikers out of me when I was a kid, gave me some serious heeby-geebies.

Yeah, but come the fourth quarter, his offense would be toothless.

oldnavy
12-15-2015, 03:17 PM
Yeah, but come the fourth quarter, his offense would be toothless.

He never was the same after that dental procedure was he??

budwom
12-15-2015, 04:23 PM
People didn't think highly of Roper as an OC before he left. Montgomery has been as questionable if not worse. Hopefully the next guy is better than both of the previous two guys as a play caller.

Happy for Montgomery, but I'm not sure this is a huge loss for us. It may be a nice "win-win" situation if we can find the right guy. I won't speculate on who the right guy will be (because I don't know anything about most of the potential candidates). But I can say that it won't be Spurrier (an ego thing) and it won't be Manning (not sure he's ready to retire and pretty sure he isn't interested in being a college OC).

Some people have pointed out that Roper got smarter as our OL got better. (The first half of the Texas A&M was arguably the best half of offensive football Duke has ever played, especially considering it was a ranked opponent).

I also agree with those who say it's tough to assess an OC. I wasn't much of a fan of a lot of Montgomery's play calls...but also recognize we didn't have many
accomplished wide receivers, we had a new QB who continually overthrew the long ball....I just hope we make a great hire for OC because it's hugely important to our future...

oldnavy
12-15-2015, 05:09 PM
Some people have pointed out that Roper got smarter as our OL got better. (The first half of the Texas A&M was arguably the best half of offensive football Duke has ever played, especially considering it was a ranked opponent).

I also agree with those who say it's tough to assess an OC. I wasn't much of a fan of a lot of Montgomery's play calls...but also recognize we didn't have many
accomplished wide receivers, we had a new QB who continually overthrew the long ball...I just hope we make a great hire for OC because it's hugely important to our future...

The issue that I had with the play calling was that we never (that I remember seeing) tried to run any type of mis-direction play. The QB read option that we ran so often would have been the perfect time to pull a receiver and hand the ball off on a reverse.... especially since we were pretty predictable on running that play and the QB draw.

You don't want the offense to be all trick plays or gadget stuff, but I don't consider a counter or reverse play as a trick play, especially when we played aggressive less disciplined defenses....

Did we run such a play all year?

Avvocato
12-15-2015, 05:19 PM

accomplished wide receivers, we had a new QB who continually overthrew the long ball...I just hope we make a great hire for OC because it's hugely important to our future...

I agree a lot with this sentiment. I think with better quarterback play in general, Scotty may have appeared a lot smarter.

tteettimes
12-15-2015, 05:38 PM
I wish Cut would call the plays !!..
Just have a QB coach.......maybe the running backs coach could do it!!
I just think Cut is OUR best option for calling plays.!!
No need to TRAIN another OC !!

johnb
12-16-2015, 10:57 AM
I wish Cut would call the plays !!..
Just have a QB coach....maybe the running backs coach could do it!!
I just think Cut is OUR best option for calling plays.!!
No need to TRAIN another OC !!

The head coach has a whole lot of stuff to think about, and calling individual plays feels to me like a distraction. I'd imagine, however, that Cut had plenty of time during the week to converse with Montgomery about the sorts of plays he'd call, and for some reason, the two of them declined the option of misdirection plays and slants in favor of running up the middle, passes laterally, and the occasional long floater that tended to get caught by the guys standing on the sideline.

It's never too late to remember that the team lost a starting NFL lineman in Laken, that Jamison Crowder has "revitalized the Washington Redskins passing game," that another guy on the OL was an NFL prospect, and that our qb and team MVP is currently signed to play for Montreal in the CFL. It's next man up, of course, and our recruits are undergoing a significant upgrade in regards to athleticism, but it's not like we can simply out-athlete the likes of Carolina or Miami. That's a reason we need a great OC we sees the potential of our potentially very strong offense.

Crowder: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2579725-how-jamison-crowder-has-changed-washington-redskins-passing-game

SoCalDukeFan
12-16-2015, 11:16 AM
Tee Martin for OC.

Played for Cut and doing a good job in a lesser role at USC.

SoCal

mbird30
12-16-2015, 12:27 PM
Tee Martin for OC.

Played for Cut and doing a good job in a lesser role at USC.

SoCal

I don't tend to think of USC as a program with high athletic integrity, so I'm easily scared away from this prospect

Pghdukie
12-18-2015, 02:43 PM
It is being reported by multi sources that Tee Martin has been promoted th OC at USC.

Olympic Fan
12-18-2015, 04:15 PM
It is being reported by multi sources that Tee Martin has been promoted th OC at USC.

That happened today:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14395343/usc-trojans-elevate-tee-martin-offensive-coordinator

That certainly takes him out of the running for the Duke OC job.

It's the same situation with Matt Lubick. The 43-year-old former Cut assistant is the passing game coordinator and wide receiver coach at Oregon. He will serve as temporary OC for Oregon's bowl game, replacing Scott Frost, who left the job as Oregon OC to become head coach at Central Florida.

Lubick wants the OC job permanently and if he gets it, no question that he stays at Oregon. But if he doesn't ... then keep him in mind as a Duke OC candidate.

brevity
12-29-2015, 07:30 PM
So... Chip Kelly (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14462075/chip-kelly-released-philadelphia-eagles) needs a job.

devildeac
12-29-2015, 07:53 PM
So... Chip Kelly (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14462075/chip-kelly-released-philadelphia-eagles) needs a job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5xMBflnJqY

;)

jimsumner
12-29-2015, 10:26 PM

But he'll have to beat out Steve Spurrier, Peyton Manning and Bronko Nagurski for the job.

Atldukie79
12-29-2015, 10:36 PM
So, as long as we are considering deceased OC candidates, Bronco Nagurski over our own Wallace Wade? Yeah, maybe not, his offense would make our current one look dynamic. Imagine the grief Wade would catch for his single wing attack.

devildeac
12-29-2015, 10:58 PM
But he'll have to beat out Steve Spurrier, Peyton Manning and Bronko Nagurski for the job.

Well, at least we still have a shot at 2 outta 3.:rolleyes:

(Damn, just checked and we really don't have a shot at Bronko or Bronko Jr. :()

Bob Green
01-01-2016, 06:51 PM
The ESPN scroll at the bottom of my TV screen states Oregon has promoted Matt Lubick to Offensive Coordinator so we can strike him off the list of possible candidates.

Olympic Fan
01-01-2016, 07:08 PM
Hot gossip that Duke is looking at Bo Hardegree for a position on the staff.

Hardegree was a backup QB at Tennessee when Cut returned there after his stint at Ole Miss ... he served as a grad assistant at Duke from 2008-10. He was at LSU for three years, then joined the Broncos in 2014. This year, he's on the staff with the Chicago Bears.

He's just 30 years old.

Not sure if he would be the offensive coordinator ... maybe the QB coach with Latina becoming OC and remaining as the offensive line coach (positions he held at Ole Miss).

Not saying its a done deal ... just something to watch.

Bob Green
01-02-2016, 08:18 AM
Not sure if he would be the offensive coordinator ... maybe the QB coach with Latina becoming OC and remaining as the offensive line coach (positions he held at Ole Miss).

Thanks for sharing the name. This seems like reasonable hot gossip. Latina is already the running game coordinator so he moves up to full offensive coordinator along with being the offensive line coach while Hardegree comes in as the quarterback coach and passing game coordinator.

budwom
01-02-2016, 09:10 AM
Thanks for sharing the name. This seems like reasonable hot gossip. Latina is already the running game coordinator so he moves up to full offensive coordinator along with being the offensive line coach while Hardegree comes in as the quarterback coach and passing game coordinator.

Maybe we run the ball more under OC Latina? That wouldn't bother me...and maybe Hardegree can straighten out Sirk on the long throws....one can hope.

devildeac
01-02-2016, 09:55 AM
My "source" says perhaps a bit of "cooling" on Latina as the OC but wouldn't/couldn't divulge any names being considered for the OC. Just interesting chatter over blow-out bowl games and fine ales at the devildeac household over the last several days.

budwom
01-02-2016, 10:08 AM
My "source" says perhaps a bit of "cooling" on Latina as the OC but wouldn't/couldn't divulge any names being considered for the OC. Just interesting chatter over blow-out bowl games and fine ales at the devildeac household over the last several days.

I just hope Latina stays at OL and is happy doing so, because he's a great coach.
Would not mind seeing a new rising star at OC, shake things up a bit...good opportunity for Cut...

wilson
01-02-2016, 12:13 PM
Thanks for sharing the name. This seems like reasonable hot gossip. Latina is already the running game coordinator so he moves up to full offensive coordinator along with being the offensive line coach while Hardegree comes in as the quarterback coach and passing game coordinator.I thought this seemed reasonable too, but when I googled "hot Latina talk," I didn't get anything about Duke football.

CameronBlue
01-02-2016, 12:22 PM
I thought this seemed reasonable too, but I googled "hot Latina talk" and I didn't get anything about Duke football.

Hot Latinas with Sporkz!

TruBlu
01-02-2016, 12:24 PM
I thought this seemed reasonable too, but when I googled "hot Latina talk," I didn't get anything about Duke football.

Links?

devildeac
01-02-2016, 02:09 PM
I just hope Latina stays at OL and is happy doing so, because he's a great coach.
Would not mind seeing a new rising star at OC, shake things up a bit...good opportunity for Cut...

Wholeheartedly agree on both counts. Our OL and rushing game have been upgraded/up"coached" very nicely and hopefully there's someone out there Cut knows/wants who would fit that exciting/talented/up-and-coming/innovative youngblood for OC. On to signing day!

devildeac
01-02-2016, 02:12 PM
I thought this seemed reasonable too, but when I googled "hot Latina talk," I didn't get anything about Duke football.

Wait, JLo is not a Duke football fan?

:o

BigWayne
01-02-2016, 02:45 PM
Hot gossip that Duke is looking at Bo Hardegree for a position on the staff.

Hardegree was a backup QB at Tennessee when Cut returned there after his stint at Ole Miss ... he served as a grad assistant at Duke from 2008-10. He was at LSU for three years, then joined the Broncos in 2014. This year, he's on the staff with the Chicago Bears.

He's just 30 years old.

Might need an assist from the Duke Hospital to get Bo to Durham. Otherwise he might be more interested in going to Memphis. (https://www.theknot.com/us/lauren-delgado-and-bo-hardegree-jun-2016/wedding)

Indoor66
01-02-2016, 02:48 PM
Ya gotta love a hot Latina. :cool:

brevity
01-02-2016, 03:19 PM
Might need an assist from the Duke Hospital to get Bo to Durham. Otherwise he might be more interested in going to Memphis. (https://www.theknot.com/us/lauren-delgado-and-bo-hardegree-jun-2016/wedding)

Good find. First line:

Lauren and Bo are an all-American love story: Lauren, a Cuban-American former ballerina and Bo, a Tennessee star athlete, fell in love on Duke University's football field in 2008.

Maybe we apply the brakes on the "hot Latina" talk before it goes woefully out of context.

Meanwhile, I'm digging the name. Bo Hardegree. Sounds like the opposite of what UNC offers.

mbird30
01-02-2016, 11:56 PM
https://twitter.com/ThayerEvansSI/statuses/683506704022028288
any thoughts?

Sixthman
01-03-2016, 12:15 AM
I think Thayer Evans is a widely discredited hack.

OldPhiKap
01-03-2016, 08:26 AM
https://twitter.com/ThayerEvansSI/statuses/683506704022028288
any thoughts?

My hope would be that we lure someone from a job as opposed to picking up someone who was fired. But I do not know much about the Pack, other than their defense was awful.

duke blue brewcrew
01-03-2016, 08:32 AM
My hope would be that we lure someone from a job as opposed to picking up someone who was fired. But I do not know much about the Pack, other than their defense was awful.

Agreed. Finding someone who's excelling at their job and is lured to Duke, is far more desirable than picking up someone up off the scrap heap and hoping it works out.

TruBlu
01-04-2016, 06:11 AM

Please remember to clear your browser history. Just saying . . .

johnb
01-04-2016, 03:23 PM
Agreed. Finding someone who's excelling at their job and is lured to Duke, is far more desirable than picking up someone up off the scrap heap and hoping it works out.

I don't know many football coaches who haven't been fired at least once.

Indoor66
01-04-2016, 03:35 PM

...And you can start with Cut. :rolleyes::cool:

PackMan97
01-04-2016, 03:54 PM

Our offense "looks" good...but we folded against teams that should have been push games and only made the score look decent in garbage time against quality opponents.

vs Louisville (a winnable game) we score 13 points...that is the Cards second best scoring defense of the season, only doing better by holding powerhouse SAMFORD to three points.
vs Virginia Teach (another winnable game) we score 13 again and again that is the third best scoring defense of the season, only doing better by holding FURMAN to three points and BC to 10.
vs Clemson we moved the ball well, but two TDs late make it look better than it was and were 4-15 on third downs!
vs Florida State we looked greate scoring 17 in the first quarter and laid a goose egg the rest of the game.
vs UNC - Sure, 500 yards and 34 points look impressive, but our first five possessions were PUNT, TD, PUNT, INT, Turnover on Downs. That doesn't fly when their first five possesions are TDs. When our defense needed to recover, our offense is taking 5 plays, 3 plays, 1 play and giving the ball back without scoring.
vs Miss St.- first play an interception, Jaylen Samuels only touched the ball three times (twice for a TD), second drive was a four and out, third drive was an interception. By the time our offense found their footing we were down 21-0.

Poor performance against the better teams doomed Canada, imo.

CameronBornAndBred
01-04-2016, 04:55 PM
Which should make the Duke OC job high on any potential candidate's list. You can't find a much more secure job in football than having a position under David Cutcliffe.

budwom
01-04-2016, 05:08 PM
Which should make the Duke OC job high on any potential candidate's list. You can't find a much more secure job in football than having a position under David Cutcliffe.

This is very true. The only question I have is whether we can match the enormous salaries widely being offered to OCs these days...SEC coordinators are now averaging close to a million bucks/yr (!),
I suspect we can't match that...but we should have the bucks to get a very competent individual (I hope).

-jk
01-04-2016, 06:27 PM
This is very true. The only question I have is whether we can match the enormous salaries widely being offered to OCs these days...SEC coordinators are now averaging close to a million bucks/yr (!),
I suspect we can't match that...but we should have the bucks to get a very competent individual (I hope).

I don't know - I think we're paying coaches boatloads of moneys these days...

-jk

devildeac
01-05-2016, 06:48 AM
Kurt Roper to.........

.........the Gamecocks.

budwom
01-05-2016, 08:26 AM
I don't know - I think we're paying coaches boatloads of moneys these days...

-jk

we are paying a lot, but not in the "we can compete with anyone" type money. I still suspect they are bright young guys out there
who have succeeded at a lower level (e.g. MAC schools) who might be good candidates.

PackMan97
01-05-2016, 10:03 AM
we are paying a lot, but not in the "we can compete with anyone" type money. I still suspect they are bright young guys out there
who have succeeded at a lower level (e.g. MAC schools) who might be good candidates.

Duke is in a good place. You have a program that it stable and winning. Not to mention being in the Atlantic division which has no established top dog. Not having to play BOTH Clemson and FSU every year and sometimes not at all is an added bonus. Your biggest problem is being used as a stepping stone...but let's face it if an bright young guy wants to come to Duke, turn you into an offensive machine for two or three years to prove they deserve the OC job at a traditional power or the HC job at a P5 school...that's not really going to hurt your program too much :) It's kinda like recruiting one and dones...if they leave you with some rings, it worked out well.

OldPhiKap
01-05-2016, 10:18 AM
Duke is in a good place. You have a program that it stable and winning. Not to mention being in the Atlantic division which has no established top dog. Not having to play BOTH Clemson and FSU every year and sometimes not at all is an added bonus. Your biggest problem is being used as a stepping stone...but let's face it if an bright young guy wants to come to Duke, turn you into an offensive machine for two or three years to prove they deserve the OC job at a traditional power or the HC job at a P5 school...that's not really going to hurt your program too much :) It's kinda like recruiting one and dones...if they leave you with some rings, it worked out well.

While there is no established top dog, Miami just upgraded its coaching and recruiting ability big time; UNC has proven to be a top competitor (NCAA hammer pending); VT is likely to improve; Virginia has upgraded its coaching (from worst in the conference to at least impressive on paper); and GT will continue to be the frustrating Paul Johnson show who can beat anybody or lose miserably to anybody. And ND swings randomly through the field as well

I agree that it is nice not to play FSU and Clemson every year. But I think the Coastal (and Duke's schedule, particularly) will be MUCH tougher over the next few years than it has been the last three.

arnie
01-05-2016, 10:34 AM
Duke is in a good place. You have a program that it stable and winning. Not to mention being in the Atlantic division which has no established top dog. Not having to play BOTH Clemson and FSU every year and sometimes not at all is an added bonus..

The State "Woe is me we're in the Atlantic Division" is starting to wear thin. Giglio and the N&O preach this constantly. Take the time to look at the regular season results between the two divisions. In 2012-2013-2014, the records between divisions were all 7-7 (each team plays two games against the other division. This year the record was 10-4 in favor of the Coastal Division.

Yes, Clemson and FSU are the class of the conference and have won the ACC regularly. But I contend State is playing to get into a bowl each year and by playing the worst OOC conference schedule of any Power 5 team, coupled with the opportunity to play the 3 worst teams in the ACC all in the Atlantic (3 of the worst Power 5 teams); they accomplished their goal without beating any team of merit. If State had played the entire Coastal schedule and not played two of WF, BC or Syracuse, they likely don't go bowling. Additionally, I see the Coastal as improving across the board, with the Atlantic division lesser teams (including State) headed south.

PackMan97
01-05-2016, 11:30 AM
The State "Woe is me we're in the Atlantic Division" is starting to wear thin. Giglio and the N&O preach this constantly. Take the time to look at the regular season results between the two divisions. In 2012-2013-2014, the records between divisions were all 7-7 (each team plays two games against the other division. This year the record was 10-4 in favor of the Coastal Division.

You misread my intent.

I was not trying to knock the ability of teams in the Atlantic or say that it is weaker overall than the Coastal, only that it has more opportunity as each season brings a new mix of contenders. I don't see how anyone can argue with that. The opportunity for ANY team winning the division is much greater in the Atlantic than the Coastal. I would expect a bright young coach would want to go to a team with a lot of opportunity. Of course, there may be some that want the opportunity to knock off Clemson and FSU and stick that feather in their cap to push for a P5 HC job, in which case State has a lot of opportunity...or maybe they want the best shot at a division title in which case Duke would have more opportunity. Both jobs have their positives and negatives, after all if the new OC at Duke can't gain a gazillion yards of offense on UNC's defense, that's gonna make them look really bad :p

Bob Green
01-05-2016, 03:17 PM
You misread my intent.

I was not trying to knock the ability of teams in the Atlantic or say that it is weaker overall than the Coastal, only that it has more opportunity as each season brings a new mix of contenders.

Duke is in the Coastal. N.C. State is in the Atlantic.

johnb
01-06-2016, 09:35 AM
Speaking of the role of coordinators, here's an old Bill Walsh interview from Harvard Business Review that addresses a football team's management organization:

https://hbr.org/1993/01/to-build-a-winning-team-an-interview-with-head-coach-bill-walsh

martydoesntfoul
01-08-2016, 01:29 AM
Kurt Roper to.....

.....the Gamecocks.

Wasn't the first marriage to Muschamp at FL in 2014 kind of a disaster? Wait... is that Peaches & Herb playing in the background???

devildeac
01-08-2016, 08:03 AM
Wasn't the first marriage to Muschamp at FL in 2014 kind of a disaster? Wait... is that Peaches & Herb playing in the background???

Don't know all the details but in the short column in the Raleigh N&O a couple days ago that noted his move, it did say he was with the Cleveland Browns for a year (I think).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FODXN6LnzA

Or something like that;).

PDDuke85
01-08-2016, 08:57 AM
http://duke.247sports.com/Article/David-Cutcliffe-promotes-Zac-Roper-to-offensive-coordinator-42640110

all in the family

duke blue brewcrew
01-08-2016, 08:59 AM
According to Adam Rowe, it would appear that Coach Cut will name Zac Roper the new OC for Duke Football. Here's the link: http://duke.247sports.com/Article/David-Cutcliffe-promotes-Zac-Roper-to-offensive-coordinator-42640110

OldPhiKap
01-08-2016, 09:01 AM
http://duke.247sports.com/Article/David-Cutcliffe-promotes-Zac-Roper-to-offensive-coordinator-42640110

all in the family

Zac did a great job with the special teams, if this comes to fruition it works for me. Looks like, other than a three-year stint at Cornell and when Cut was between head coaching jobs, Zac has had Cut's trust and been part of his vision since 2001. Zac knows what Cut wants, and he knows how to do it at schools with academic requirements.

duke blue brewcrew
01-08-2016, 09:05 AM
Zac did a great job with the special teams, if this comes to fruition it works for me.

Coach Cut will still need to make a hire to fill out the staff. It will be interesting to see how this all wraps up.

OldPhiKap
01-08-2016, 09:06 AM
Coach Cut will still need to make a hire to fill out the staff. It will be interesting to see how this all wraps up.

I'm available. Just sayin', coach.

My guess is that it is a former Duke player. I am sure that having Scottie on the staff was an important link, just like K has developed (in spades).

Ray Farmer is available . . . .

sagegrouse
01-08-2016, 09:06 AM
According to Adam Rowe, it would appear that Coach Cut will name Zac Roper the new OC for Duke Football. Here's the link: http://duke.247sports.com/Article/David-Cutcliffe-promotes-Zac-Roper-to-offensive-coordinator-42640110

To fill in the blanks: Zac Roper, the younger brother of former offensive coordinator Kurt Roper, is the tight ends coach/special teams coordinator for Duke. He has been on Duke staff since 2008 and previously coached at Cornell and Ole Miss (graduate assistant). He assisted with football as an undergrad at Oklahoma from 1996 to 1998.

OldPhiKap
01-08-2016, 09:14 AM
To fill in the blanks: Zac Roper, the younger brother of former offensive coordinator Kurt Roper, is the tight ends coach/special teams coordinator for Duke. He has been on Duke staff since 2008 and previously coached at Cornell and Ole Miss (grad. I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.'t.). He assisted with football as an undergrad at Oklahoma from 1996 to 1998.

I guess "assistant" must be spelled out. ;->

duke blue brewcrew
01-08-2016, 09:14 AM
I'm available. Just sayin', coach.

My guess is that it is a former Duke player. I am sure that having Scottie on the staff was an important link, just like K has developed (in spades).

Ray Farmer is available . . . .

You have to assume the new hire will not be handed the Recruiting Coordinator responsibilities. I am guessing those will be redistributed to a more seasoned member of the staff...Coach Jones? That leaves WR and ST open to be filled.

OldPhiKap
01-08-2016, 09:16 AM
You have to assume the new hire will not be handed the Recruiting Coordinator responsibilities. I am guessing those will be redistributed to a more seasoned member of the staff...Coach Jones? That leaves WR and ST open to be filled.

True, although Farmer would be able to handle a fair amount of recruiting (or at least have very valuable insight).

devildeac
01-08-2016, 09:49 AM
Ah-ha! So it is Roper. Just not that/the "old" Roper:o. Best of luck.

duke blue brewcrew
01-08-2016, 09:52 AM
True, although Farmer would be able to handle a fair amount of recruiting (or at least have very valuable insight).

Does having a "professional career" as the GM of the Cleveland Browns equate to possessing valuable insight? (hehe - Sorry, the Steelers fan in me couldn't resist). I'm doubting that Farmer would want to drop from GM of a professional team, to a WR/ST coach of a college team. Crazier things have happened...

OldPhiKap
01-08-2016, 09:56 AM
Does having a "professional career" as the GM of the Cleveland Browns equate to possessing valuable insight? (hehe - Sorry, the Steelers fan in me couldn't resist). I'm doubting that Farmer would want to drop from GM of a professional team, to a WR/ST coach of a college team. Crazier things have happened...

Yeah, not sure of his level of interest. But I do think a former Duke player is a great possibility. No inside info, but it just makes sense for several reasons.

duke blue brewcrew
01-08-2016, 10:10 AM
Yeah, not sure of his level of interest. But I do think a former Duke player is a great possibility. No inside info, but it just makes sense for several reasons.

I tend to agree with you, and it would be interesting to see who that might end up being. Would someone like CV be interested? He would be a good fit. Looks like he's currently a member of the Detroit Lions practice squad.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-08-2016, 11:09 AM
Here's the official announcement made this morning.... Zac Roper to OC plus some other changes.
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210621489&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Jim3k
01-08-2016, 06:23 PM
I tend to agree with you, and it would be interesting to see who that might end up being. Would someone like CV be interested? He would be a good fit. Looks like he's currently a member of the Detroit Lions practice squad.

CV? Didn't compute. And no one on Lions practice squad (http://www.detroitlions.com/team/roster.html) fits. Nor does anyone else on that entire roster. (Admittedly, its date is unclear.)

OldPhiKap
01-08-2016, 06:27 PM
CV? Didn't compute. And no one on Lions practice squad (http://www.detroitlions.com/team/roster.html) fits. Nor does anyone else on that entire roster. (Admittedly, its date is unclear.)

Conner Vernon I presume -- but he is now a free agent (AFAIK -- not sure he was on a team this season at all):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conner_Vernon

Indoor66
01-08-2016, 06:31 PM
Conner Vernon I presume -- but he is now a free agent (AFAIK -- not sure he was on a team this season at all):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conner_Vernon

This response suggests an issue that drives me crazy: referring to players (on any team, Duke or not) by initials only. It is presumptive, inconsiderate and lazy. :mad:

Rant over. :cool:

sagegrouse
01-08-2016, 06:38 PM
This response suggests an issue that drives me crazy: referring to players (on any team, Duke or not) by initials only. It is presumptive, inconsiderate and lazy. :mad:

Agreed. "Who, what, when, where, why and how" also applies to message board posts. And we also see posts that link an article with no explanation whatsoever, which is against DBR suggested guidelines, I believe.

Kindly,
sage
'I understand a number of posters are filing messages from their phones and need to take shortcuts. OK, but....'

Indoor66
01-08-2016, 06:55 PM
Agreed. "Who, what, when, where, why and how" also applies to message board posts. And we also see posts that link an article with no explanation whatsoever, which is against DBR suggested guidelines, I believe.

Kindly,
sage
'I understand a number of posters are filing messages from their phones and need to take shortcuts. OK, but...'

Sorry, for me, not OK. I post from tablets and phones sometimes, too. IMO, consideration for others supersedes time constraints or keyboard difficulty.

Bob Green
01-08-2016, 07:02 PM
With Zac Roper being internally promoted to OC, the staff remains short one assistant coach. So the speculation changes focus to who and what flavor assistant does Coach Cutcliffe hire.

oldnavy
01-09-2016, 09:41 AM
Any relation?

duke blue brewcrew
01-09-2016, 10:26 AM

My apologies. I made an ASSumption that CV would be immediately understood by the Duke Football addicts on this thread. Because, who else would be reading a Duke Football OC thread? I assumed CV = Conner Vernon, you know, the former Duke WR who is the all time ACC leader in catches and yardage, would be universally understood. The same way VO is understood on this board to not mean a Canadian whiskey made by Seagrams, but Vince Oghobaase. I wasn't being lazy, just assumptive. You guys are Duke grads, you know...really smart people. I place your level of intelligence far above my own, as a mere academic mortal, UNC-G grad. I thought the CV reference would be basic math for you guys, and universally understood. I will do my best to not make such assumptions moving forward. Now, the one potentially lazy thing that I did do, was rely on Wikipedia for my current CV info. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conner_Vernon If he's no longer with the Lions practice squad, my apologies for the confusion.

Indoor66
01-09-2016, 10:31 AM
My apologies. I made an ASSumption that CV would be immediately understood by the Duke Football addicts on this thread. Because, who else would be reading a Duke Football OC thread? I assumed CV = Conner Vernon, you know, the former Duke WR who is the all time ACC leader in catches and yardage, would be universally understood. The same way VO is understood on this board to not mean a Canadian whiskey made by Seagrams, but Vince Oghobaase. I wasn't being lazy, just assumptive. You guys are Duke grads, you know...really smart people. I place your level of intelligence far above my own, as a mere academic mortal, UNC-G grad. I thought the CV reference would be basic math for you guys, and universally understood. I will do my best to not make such assumptions moving forward. Now, the one potentially lazy thing that I did do, was rely on Wikipedia for my current CV info. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conner_Vernon If he's no longer with the Lions practice squad, my apologies for the confusion.

You presume too much. Most of us have a life beyond Duke athletics.

duke blue brewcrew
01-09-2016, 10:37 AM
You presume too much. Most of us have a life beyond Duke athletics.

All you really had to do was follow the conversation which was about FORMER DUKE PLAYERS WHO COULD COME BACK AND COACH THE WRs. Sorry I gave you too much credit for coming up with the most accomplished Duke WR of all time. I'll do my best to never make that assumption again. Thanks for the call out.

budwom
01-09-2016, 11:10 AM
back to Roper....while I had kind of hoped we'd hire some brilliant/mad scientist young up and coming (experienced ) OC, for some reason
I'm feeling really good about Roper...he seems to be smart, hardworking, experienced for a young guy, and the players are said to really like him.

Possibly I'm just trying to feel bubbly until next season, and if I don't like his playcalling in the first game I'll no doubt turn on him :)...but for the
time being I'm thinking (and hoping) this might be a really good move.

duke blue brewcrew
01-09-2016, 11:21 AM
back to Roper...while I had kind of hoped we'd hire some brilliant/mad scientist young up and coming (experienced ) OC, for some reason
I'm feeling really good about Roper...he seems to be smart, hardworking, experienced for a young guy, and the players are said to really like him.

Possibly I'm just trying to feel bubbly until next season, and if I don't like his playcalling in the first game I'll no doubt turn on him :)...but for the
time being I'm thinking (and hoping) this might be a really good move.

Like Cut, Roper can be traced back to the Bear Bryant coaching tree. He's apparently excelled at every position Cut has given him during their years together. Like you, I was excited to see some potential new "up and coming hot shot" blood come into the program, but I feel very satisfied with the move Cut made. My excitement has shifted to whomever will be filling the now open position on the Duke staff created by Roper's promotion. Conner Vernon would be an exciting hire in my book, assuming his interest and availability are there.

devildeac
01-09-2016, 11:30 AM

I'm OK with initials most of the time in context and use them a lot, most often in chat where rapid exchanges are sometimes "needed," especially when I'm "ahead of the curve" listening to radio (almost always ahead) and watching TV (almost always behind) :o.

Papa John
01-09-2016, 11:40 AM
All you really had to do was follow the conversation which was about FORMER DUKE PLAYERS WHO COULD COME BACK AND COACH THE WRs. Sorry I gave you too much credit for coming up with the most accomplished Duke WR of all time. I'll do my best to never make that assumption again. Thanks for the call out.

It took a few moments, but I figured that CV meant Connor Vernon. The problem with your logic, in my opinion, is that very few athletes are referred to by their initials. I can recall MJ and KG, but I can't really think of any others off the top of my head. And I'm not sure Vernon was referred to as CV during his time at Duke, so why would anyone be expected to immediately associate the initials?

That aside, I think the promotion of Roper is a positive, as it demonstrates that Cut rewards his hard working assistants by giving them more responsibility. This coupled with the fact that his last two OCs are now an OC at one of the premier programs in the SEC and a head coach at a good mid-major demonstrates to young coaching talent that working at Duke under David Cutcliff is a good career move.

budwom
01-09-2016, 12:10 PM
Like Cut, Roper can be traced back to the Bear Bryant coaching tree. He's apparently excelled at every position Cut has given him during their years together. Like you, I was excited to see some potential new "up and coming hot shot" blood come into the program, but I feel very satisfied with the move Cut made. My excitement has shifted to whomever will be filling the now open position on the Duke staff created by Roper's promotion. Conner Vernon would be an exciting hire in my book, assuming his interest and availability are there.

It might be as simple as McGrath (who I think is still a grad assistant but coaches the defensive tackles) being elevated to a full time coach. Not sure we'll necessarily get a new guy from the outside.

duke blue brewcrew
01-09-2016, 12:36 PM
It might be as simple as McGrath (who I think is still a grad assistant but coaches the defensive tackles) being elevated to a full time coach. Not sure we'll necessarily get a new guy from the outside.

There are actually two McGrath's who are Grad Assistants on Duke's coaching staff according to GoDuke.com. Clayton who is a Grad Asst. Coach with the Defensive Tackles, and Sam who is an Grad. Asst. Coach with the Defense. http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1843&SPSID=22665
It sounds like you're referencing Clayton. I will admit that the Grad Assistants are an area of the team I know nothing about. I do believe, IMS, that Matt Guerrieri came up through the Grad Assistant ranks? That seems to be working out just fine. So, if there's someone on staff ready to take over the WR/ST while promoting from within, who am I to argue?

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-09-2016, 12:46 PM
There are actually two McGrath's who are Grad Assistants on Duke's coaching staff according to GoDuke.com. Clayton who is a Grad Asst. Coach with the Defensive Tackles, and Sam who is an Grad. Asst. Coach with the Defense. http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1843&SPSID=22665
It sounds like you're referencing Clayton. I will admit that the Grad Assistants are an area of the team I know nothing about. I do believe, IMS, that Matt Guerrieri came up through the Grad Assistant ranks? That seems to be working out just fine. So, if there's someone on staff ready to take over the WR/ST while promoting from within, who am I to argue?
Matt Guerrieri, Re'quan Boyette and Jeff Faris... all current assistant coaches came up as graduate assistants at Duke. Vince Oghobaase was also a graduate assistant who migrated to tOSU. Leon Wright was a graduate assistant at Duke and LSU before becoming an assistant coach at Princeton.

sagegrouse
01-09-2016, 01:07 PM

You're a fabulous poster, but these are long threads, and there are a lot of them. It may be best to assume that you're getting some first-time readers.

duke09hms
01-09-2016, 01:08 PM

oooook, moving past the beef. Is Conner Vernon still the most accomplished in terms of receiving records? I thought Jamison Crowder had surpassed him in receiving yards and catches.

duke blue brewcrew
01-09-2016, 01:39 PM
oooook, moving past the beef. Is Conner Vernon still the most accomplished in terms of receiving records? I thought Jamison Crowder had surpassed him in receiving yards and catches.

Crowder and Vernon are tied for most career receptions, and Crowder owns the single season mark with 108. I stand corrected, Rashad Greene now owns the career receiving yards record, with Vernon in 2nd and Crowder in 3rd. Surprisingly, Vernon appear no where in the Top 25 Sing Season receiving yards, while Crowder is 6th. Former Blue Devil great, Clarkston Hines, owns the career TDs mark, and is 2nd in the Single Season mark.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/acc/leaders/

brevity
01-09-2016, 02:05 PM

I've quoted the original context above. CV is obviously a person, and apparently a former Duke player. That much was communicated.

But in a thread about job openings, CV will always stand for Curriculum Vitae, or résumé. If it were any other pair of initials, you could get away with it.

duke blue brewcrew
01-09-2016, 02:19 PM
I've quoted the original context above. CV is obviously a person, and apparently a former Duke player. That much was communicated.

But in a thread about job openings, CV will always stand for Curriculum Vitae, or résumé. If it were any other pair of initials, you could get away with it.

It's an interesting comment, and if a resume could be a "he", play football at an elite level in college for the Duke Blue Devils, and be a member or the Detroit Lions practice squad I might even agree with you. Since a resume is an "it", I'll smile, SMH, and move on. Thanks everyone for voicing your confusion regarding my use of the initials CV. It's been noted multiple times now. I think I get it. Must we continue with this, or has the dead horse been beaten enough at this point?

Dukehky
01-09-2016, 02:47 PM
I am not convinced by this promotion. I feel like the program has stagnated a little bit on the field while getting better recruiting. Without a doubt the offense has not been as good since Roper. Is that the players? Is it the player development? Is it the coaching? I was not a huge Scottie fan though, so I think his ECU hire is a kind of an addition by subtraction.

I just kind of wanted a little shake up, but Cut obviously really likes his staff. I also wonder if Cut thinks that Duke could even get an OC that we as fans would know and be excited about? I'm not sure we could.

I'm not like upset by this Roper or anything, just not my preference, would be absolutely thrilled if he proved me wrong though.

Bob Green
01-10-2016, 08:25 AM

After thinking about the open assistant coach position for a couple of days, I agree with budwom. Clayton McGrath will most likely be promoted to full assistant coach from grad assistant.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-10-2016, 10:20 PM
In the speculation about former players who might return as assistant coaches, no one mentioned Donovan Varner. Donovan has done a little coaching back home where he went to high school..... now he's going to Greenville to join Coach Mo at ECU.

duke blue brewcrew
01-11-2016, 10:48 AM
After thinking about the open assistant coach position for a couple of days, I agree with budwom. Clayton McGrath will most likely be promoted to full assistant coach from grad assistant.

I trust the opinions of those much closer to the program than I could ever hope to be. That said, it would appear that Clayton's focus as a grad assistant has been on the defensive side of the ball. Should you guys be correct about Clayton, what responsibilities would he assume with his promotion? Would he take over the coaching void that currently exists at WR & ST, or would that get shuffled to someone perhaps more knowledgeable, and Clayton is kept on the defensive side of the ball?

FerryFor50
01-11-2016, 12:08 PM
It's an interesting comment, and if a resume could be a "he", play football at an elite level in college for the Duke Blue Devils, and be a member or the Detroit Lions practice squad I might even agree with you. Since a resume is an "it", I'll smile, SMH, and move on. Thanks everyone for voicing your confusion regarding my use of the initials CV. It's been noted multiple times now. I think I get it. Must we continue with this, or has the dead horse been beaten enough at this point?

Hey, you know a CV is a résumé, right? :D

nyesq83
01-11-2016, 12:09 PM
Coach K has had many (mostly?) former players return as his coaching assistants. This is what is known as "buying in" and "loyalty" and "continuity."

Coach Cut - If I remember correctly, he was fired from his Ole Miss head coaching job because he refused to fire/replace some of his assistants at the AD's request.

Like it or not, this is Coach Cut's philosophy: Bring people up in a system, reward loyalty, maintain continuity, present a solid "We are family" atmosphere.

The program is designed to provide loyal younger staff members with growth opportunities when those more senior staff move on to bigger things.

Of course, there have been exceptions that prove the rule, like Coach Knowles (he was with Cut at Ole Miss for just one season) but his success at Cornell made his hiring a no-brainer.

That's my opinion. Happy 2016 y'all. Go Duke!

FerryFor50
01-11-2016, 12:13 PM
Coach K has had many (mostly?) former players return as his coaching assistants. This is what is known as "buying in" and "loyalty" and "continuity."

Coach Cut - If I remember correctly, he was fired from his Ole Miss head coaching job because he refused to fire/replace some of his assistants at the AD's request.

Like it or not, this is Coach Cut's philosophy: Bring people up in a system, reward loyalty, maintain continuity, present a solid "We are family" atmosphere.

The program is designed to provide loyal younger staff members with growth opportunities when those more senior staff move on to bigger things.

Of course, there have been exceptions that prove the rule, like Coach Knowles (he was with Cut at Ole Miss for just one season) but his success at Cornell made his hiring a no-brainer.

That's my opinion. Happy 2016 y'all. Go Duke!

Great points - helps that the guy he promoted is a Roper. Last Roper turned out ok. :)

Indoor66
01-11-2016, 12:33 PM
Great points - helps that the guy he promoted is a Roper. Last Roper turned out ok. :)

The last Roper I had ate oats.

OldPhiKap
01-11-2016, 01:25 PM
The last Roper I had ate oats.

The last Cutter I had did too.

CameronBornAndBred
01-13-2016, 01:49 PM
This fills out the coaching staff.

Duke has hired Purdue assistant coach Jim Bridge to coordinate special teams and coach tight ends, according to a source. The official announcement is expected in the coming days.
As far as I can tell from the article, there are no previous ties between Cutcliffe and Bridge, which is refreshing to see.
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article54463110.html

Bob Green
01-13-2016, 05:50 PM
Jim Bridge Bio: http://www.purduesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/jim_bridge_842574.html

He previously coached at ACC schools N.C. State (2007-12) and Boston College (2005-06). His background appears to be coaching the offensive line and tight ends. I also found this statement to be interesting:

In 2008, Bridge was named one of the top recruiters in the nation by Rivals.com.

You can never have too many strong recruiters.

-jk
01-13-2016, 06:37 PM
Purdue SBN (http://www.hammerandrails.com/2016/1/13/10761410/purdue-football-coaching-changes-jim-bridge-leaving) site is not too keen on him. Hope they miss him!

-jk

nyesq83
01-13-2016, 07:12 PM
Welcome, Jim Bridge, to the DukeGang!

FerryFor50
01-13-2016, 08:53 PM
Purdue SBN (http://www.hammerandrails.com/2016/1/13/10761410/purdue-football-coaching-changes-jim-bridge-leaving) site is not too keen on him. Hope they miss him!

-jk

Best quote of the comments:

At least he is going somewhere

That has actually beaten IU in the past three years

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-13-2016, 11:18 PM
News about another former Duke grad assistant and former player... Vince Oghobasse left his grad assistant position at Duke about three years ago to be a grad assistant at tOSU. Vince is the new defensive line coach at Texas State University. :D

budwom
01-14-2016, 09:59 AM

-jk

The assessment of the Scout board was he was simply leaving a sinking ship at Purdue...no particular animosity shown...

CameronBornAndBred
01-14-2016, 10:06 AM
The assessment of the Scout board was he was simply leaving a sinking ship at Purdue...no particular animosity shown...
I would think it would be hard for a fan base to have animosity towards a position coach. I mean, you'd have to so some impressively bad things during practices to get called out. Fans, for the most part, only give negative attention to those that affect the plays called on game days.