PDA

View Full Version : Scottie Montgomery to ECU

mbird30
12-12-2015, 07:22 PM
http://bit.ly/1lEDiNs

gocanes0506
12-12-2015, 07:32 PM
Wasn't sure where to drop this. He has been the mystery candidate. He made it through initial interviews without no one leaking his name

Bob Green
12-12-2015, 07:36 PM
Here is wishing the best of luck to Scottie, ECU would be a quality gig for him. The obvious question for me, and all Duke fans, is who is in line to replace him as OC?

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-12-2015, 07:53 PM
Here is wishing the best of luck to Scottie, ECU would be a quality gig for him. The obvious question for me, and all Duke fans, is who is in line to replace him as OC?

I used to worry a lot when we had personnel changes. But no more. One of the things I've learned since Coach Cutcliffe arrived is that he has a deep network of people to call upon. As a general rule, when one person leaves and someone new comes in, Coach Cutcliffe works out something that's an improvement over whatever we had before.

mbird30
12-12-2015, 08:02 PM
I used to worry a lot when we had personnel changes. But no more. One of the things I've learned since Coach Cutcliffe arrived is that he has a deep network of people to call upon. As a general rule, when one person leaves and someone new comes in, Coach Cutcliffe works out something that's an improvement over whatever we had before.

I agree with this, but the thing that worries me the most by far is whether recruits may have more of a reason to leave after a personnel change. I think that the next guy will be as good if not better than scottie, but I really want to keep this recruiting class for 2016

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-12-2015, 08:09 PM
I agree with this, but the thing that worries me the most by far is whether recruits may have more of a reason to leave after a personnel change. I think that the next guy will be as good if not better than scottie, but I really want to keep this recruiting class for 2016

Duke definitely faced this issue when Matt Lubick left, but we recovered and continue to recruit pretty well. Had the same sort of concerns when Ron Middleton left.

gocanes0506
12-12-2015, 10:02 PM
Supposedly Scotty will be named ECU's new HC Monday unless ECU's BOT rejects the contract.

devildeac
12-12-2015, 10:07 PM
A few posts here and a couple quotes/links:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?36648-Football-Coaching-Carousel-2015/page3

devildeac
12-12-2015, 10:24 PM
A bit more from the twitters:

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB
#Duke OC Scottie Montgomery is set to become the next head coach at #ECU, source tells @FoxSports.

PDDuke85
12-12-2015, 11:07 PM
If in fact Scottie Montgomery is named the next head coach of ECU, I suspect Cut will have no difficulty in finding a quality offensive minded replacement. I am curious though to see if Scottie takes other Duke coaches with him.

Best of luck Scottie, get that head coaching experience now as there might be an opening at Duke years from now.

Olympic Fan
12-13-2015, 12:13 AM
Best of luck to Scottie ...

Hire Steve Spurrier as the new OC ...

uh_no
12-13-2015, 12:33 AM

yes.

HK Dukie
12-13-2015, 01:09 AM

Was wondering how long it would take before the boards suggested Spurrier.

It would be awesome but you can have only one head ball coach. His ego wouldn't allow it. But Cutcliffe is about as classy an individual as you could find and if he thought Spurrier would be best he would invite him.

Either way, I'm very curious who Cut can attract to this position. Congrats to Scottie.

Doctor Mu
12-13-2015, 03:17 AM

OBC. ECU appears to have struck out with Chizik and Withers. At times, Scotties offense this year looked like Mike McGee (ECU, Duke HC). Three yards and a cloud of dust. Best of luck!

Time to grab Cumbie or Meacham as OC. OBC would be ok as well.

duke blue brewcrew
12-13-2015, 08:15 AM
Very happy for Coach Scottie Montgomery. ECU just got a little more likable in my eyes. Best wishes on much success, esp when you play UNC, but not so much when you play Duke :)

DevilWearsPrada
12-13-2015, 09:06 AM
Congratulations to Coach Scottie Montgomery!!! A great hire for ECU !!!!

Looking forward to see who will be named the new OC at Duke!!!!!

The Duke FOOTBALL BANQUET is tonight!!!! I sure hope that Scottie is in attendance, and will coach the Bowl Game, also!!!

I would love to see Steve Spurrier come back to Duke, and be the OC! He certainly will be welcomed by Duke Fans!!

CameronBornAndBred
12-13-2015, 09:18 AM
Good luck, I like that he is close enough to follow his career.

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/Scottie-Montgomery-To-Be-Next-ECU-Head-Football-Coach-361694301.html

budwom
12-13-2015, 09:24 AM
I hope he prospers and someday returns to Duke.

Bob Green
12-13-2015, 09:56 AM
I hope Coach Cutcliffe hires someone outside the program as Offensive Coordinator. Bringing in some fresh blood could be helpful.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-13-2015, 10:28 AM
I hope Coach Cutcliffe hires someone outside the program as Offensive Coordinator. Bringing in some fresh blood could be helpful.
Hmmm. When have I heard this before? Oh, yeah. Every time Coach K has to hire a new assistant coach.

Cut's loyalties run deep. Look for someone from his past to be hired. Although Spurrier would be great. I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

Good or luck to Scottie! ECU is a great place for him to start his HC career.

Stray Gator
12-13-2015, 11:34 AM
Hmmm. When have I heard this before? Oh, yeah. Every time Coach K has to hire a new assistant coach.

Cut's loyalties run deep. Look for someone from his past to be hired. Although Spurrier would be great. I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

I suspect that SOS and Jerri are becoming comfortable at Crescent Beach, but what are the chances that Cut's former pupil Peyton might be looking for another football challenge soon?

mbird30
12-13-2015, 11:35 AM
I suspect that SOS and Jerri are becoming comfortable at Crescent Beach, but what are the chances that Cut's former pupil Peyton might be looking for another football challenge soon?

I thought about that Peyton guy too

nyesq83
12-13-2015, 11:46 AM
Dear Santa:

All I want for Christmas is the best Offensive Coordinator that Coach Cut can get that will stay and help build the program.

And a Bowl victory this year.

That is all.

DMcG

devildeac
12-13-2015, 12:00 PM

I'm guessing you're not available for the OC position...

:rolleyes:;)

devildeac
12-13-2015, 12:02 PM
From wralsportsfan:

"Greenville, N.C. — Duke associate head coach and offensive coordinator Scottie Montgomery will become the next head coach at East Carolina University, according to multiple reports.

Sources confirmed to WRAL Saturday that Montgomery interviewed for the position left vacant by Ruffin McNeil after his firing on Dec. 4, and had emerged as a leading candidate."

dpslaw
12-13-2015, 12:36 PM
I don't know if he is even a possibility to replace Scotty as OC, but Tee Martin, WR coach and passing game coordinator at USC, was Cutcliffe's QB on the national championship team at Tennessee.

SoCalDukeFan
12-13-2015, 12:39 PM
is well thought of at USC, at least by most of the alumni, and I suspect by the Head Coach and AD.

SoCal

Mike Corey
12-13-2015, 01:59 PM
I don't know if he is even a possibility to replace Scotty as OC, but Tee Martin, WR coach and passing game coordinator at USC, was Cutcliffe's QB on the national championship team at Tennessee.

His son is also good at the football. He's a four-star wide receiver.

For some reason--he insists it wasn't due to his father's uncertain future at USC--he decommitted from the Trojans just a few days ago.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-13-2015, 03:27 PM
I'm guessing you're not available for the OC position...

:rolleyes:;)

Hmmm. We actually discussed this topic this morning. And when I say we, I mean my significant other and I, not Coach Cut and I. Now, if Cut did call and ask me, I'd say yes! :cool: But I'm not waiting by the phone for it to ring...... :rolleyes:

Olympic Fan
12-13-2015, 03:32 PM

For some reason--he insists it wasn't due to his father's uncertain future at USC--he decommitted from the Trojans just a few days ago.

I posted this in the football recruiting thread, but just so people don't miss it. Martin's son -- Amari Rodgers, was just named Mr. Football in Tennessee. But he's only a prep junior -- he's in the Class of 2017. He reportedly has an offer from Duke, but according to 247 sports, he has little interest in Duke -- although I expect that changes if his father is hired as OC here.

And what I hear about Martin is that he does an OC job -- that's why USC is scared of losing him. He's also regarded as one of the best recruiters in the country.

CameronBornAndBred
12-13-2015, 08:09 PM
It's official.

Montgomery, a North Carolina native with a documented history of balanced success on the offensive side of the ball, will be formally introduced as the Pirates' 21st head coach at a press conference at 11:00 a.m. on Monday and begin his official duties at ECU on Jan. 1.

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/Scottie-Montgomery-To-Be-Next-ECU-Head-Football-Coach-361694301.html

Nice to see that Jan 1st date and know he will be in on the sideline in NYC.

Inonehand
12-13-2015, 09:41 PM
I like Scottie but I will be happy to see someone else calling plays for duke. He may end up being a better head coach than coordinator. The consistency of our offense took a hit post Roper. Ecu gave up a good head coach to bring Scottie in, an unproven coordinator. To me this was a strange decision. His ability to fill out his staff is going to be something to watch.

cbarry
12-13-2015, 09:56 PM
Totally agree with you. I wish Scottie the best. Like others, I'm hoping Duke lands an awesome OC, and I bet Cut gets a really good one. I've never been overly impressed with Scottie's play calling as OC. Curious choice for ECU's HC.

I like Scottie but I will be happy to see someone else calling plays for duke. He may end up being a better head coach than coordinator. The consistency of our offense took a hit post Roper. Ecu gave up a good head coach to bring Scottie in, an unproven coordinator. To me this was a strange decision. His ability to fill out his staff is going to be something to watch.

duke09hms
12-13-2015, 10:07 PM

Totally agree with the above in bold. His playcalling the last two years was inconsistent at best and mind-boggling at worst, perhaps costing us wins against Northwestern/Miami/Pitt/UVA. His strengths seem best suited for the executive roles of head coach rather than play-calling.

CameronBornAndBred
12-14-2015, 03:24 PM
Scottie's intro at ECU and post-presser interview with WITN.

We want to win, and we want to win championships Sound familiar? ;)
He'll play a hell of a schedule next season, facing NCSU, VT, and South Carolina in three straight September games.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-16-2015, 10:43 PM
This video shows Scottie as he begins his new job at ECU. It's fun to watch him interact with folks excited and pleased to have him as their head coach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_ejKgkqV1Y&app=desktop

HK Dukie
12-17-2015, 11:34 PM
This video shows Scottie as he begins his new job at ECU. It's fun to watch him interact with folks excited and pleased to have him as their head coach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_ejKgkqV1Y&app=desktop

Nice video of Coach Mo. Anyone know who will call the Pinstripe?

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-18-2015, 12:28 AM
Nice video of Coach Mo. Anyone know who will call the Pinstripe?

Coach Mo will be calling the plays on December 26.;)

OldPhiKap
12-18-2015, 07:58 AM
Coach Mo will be calling the plays on December 26.;)

In his last press conference, Cut talked about his last game as OC at Tennessee when he had already taken another job (maybe Duke, don't recall). He said he opened up the offense, then wondered if Scottie was going to throw the ball deep on every possession.

budwom
12-18-2015, 08:46 AM
In his last press conference, Cut talked about his last game as OC at Tennessee when he had already taken another job (maybe Duke, don't recall). He said he opened up the offense, then wondered if Scottie was going to throw the ball deep on every possession.

Interesting...I recall watching that game to get an idea of Cut's strategy, and was a bit surprised by how relatively conservative it was....lots of short, high percentage passes IIRC, which I probably don't.
We're probably going to have to score 40 points to beat Indiana, so I'm hoping for some logical calls, fewer long fade routes, fewer motion penalties.
I've read that Lloyd is moving to wide receiver...not sure if he'll play there in the bowl game, but that's potential long term good news. He's a really good athlete.

CameronBornAndBred
12-18-2015, 05:14 PM
All I want for Christmas is less overthrows. :rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
12-18-2015, 05:28 PM
All I want for Christmas is less overthrows. :rolleyes:

Yup. But that's not on Scottie.

Thomas, time to lead us to a bowl victory. You're the man. Get 'er done.

Reilly
12-18-2015, 11:37 PM
Interesting...I recall watching that game to get an idea of Cut's strategy, and was a bit surprised by how relatively conservative it was...lots of short, high percentage passes IIRC, which I probably don't. ...

That's my recollection of that game as well. It also showed Cut's ability to manage a game/bleed a clock. They did have 365 yards passing, but did not score in the 2d half and still won the game -- playing keep-away towards the end, I think.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2008-01-01-tennessee.html

devildeac
12-26-2015, 08:34 AM

There was a short column in the Raleigh N&O on 12/24 denoting 4 or 5 coaches that Scotty had hired, none currently from the Duke staff.