PDA

View Full Version : Front Page on Jah

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-12-2015, 07:48 AM
Not to nit pick, but unless I missed something impressive, Jah is not a "Duke grad."

Also, anyone else having trouble recently with the ads running over the article content on their Android mobile devices?

Welcome back, Jahlil. Hope you can learn a thing or two from Justise and spend a few nights at home watching Netflix.

lotusland
12-12-2015, 08:48 AM
Not to nit pick, but unless I missed something impressive, Jah is not a "Duke grad."

Also, anyone else having trouble recently with the ads running over the article content on their Android mobile devices?

Welcome back, Jahlil. Hope you can learn a thing or two from Justise and spend a few nights at home watching Netflix.

Ads running over on iPhone too

-jk
12-12-2015, 09:04 AM
Can y'all post screen shots?

-jk

Tripping William
12-12-2015, 09:30 AM
Can y'all post screen shots?

-jk

Yes; I get something like this on iPhone with regularity.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-12-2015, 09:33 AM
Seems the only way I can attach a file is if I am on my desktop, so I would have to take the screenshot, email it to myself, go to my desktop, log on here and attach it. If this would be helpful, let me know.

I am on a Galaxy Grand Prime (thanks Mattman!) and the issue seems to be primarily in portrait orientation. It's those hyper-annoying ads that take so long to load that you've already clicked and find you inadvertantly clicked an ad that was popping up in the middle of your article.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-12-2015, 09:40 AM

Yes; I get something like this on iPhone with regularity.

My screenshot would be redundant. That is precisely my samr issue.

Tripping William
12-12-2015, 09:51 AM
My screenshot would be redundant. That is precisely my samr issue.

It also happens in landscape, but covers different text. So sometimes I can read the whole article by switching back-and-forth between portrait and landscape, but not always.

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-12-2015, 09:52 AM
It also happens in landscape, but covers different text. So sometimes I can read the whole article by switching back-and-forth between portrait and landscape, but not always.
Yes. Same problem with iPhone here. Every article every day. Really annoying.

Duke95
12-12-2015, 10:35 AM
Yep. Same issue with me. I got Adblock Plus and no problems on iPhone anymore.

Duke_92
12-12-2015, 11:16 AM
Same issue when I had an iPhone 6 and I still have it on my Nexus 6.

Jarhead
12-12-2015, 11:31 AM

I also use Adblock Plus, so would that also work for Jah?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-12-2015, 12:22 PM

I keep AdBlock disabled for this site, as my understanding is that it has a negative affect on DBR's revenue and ability to stay afloat. If I'm mistaken, please let me know.

KenTankerous
12-12-2015, 03:12 PM
Does anyone know Okafor's status at Duke? I mean, Gerald Henderson got his degree last year, no? Are Okafor, Tyus Jones and Justise Winslow taking classes to stay on track to get that paper?

Either way, calling him a Duke Grad has got to be a little insulting to those who put in the work and suffered the stress to actually earn the sheepskin.

Edouble
12-12-2015, 04:46 PM
Does anyone know Okafor's status at Duke? I mean, Gerald Henderson got his degree last year, no? Are Okafor, Tyus Jones and Justise Winslow taking classes to stay on track to get that paper?

Either way, calling him a Duke Grad has got to be a little insulting to those who put in the work and suffered the stress to actually earn the sheepskin.

They are getting that paper... and it has nothing to do with taking classes.

As a Duke grad, I am not insulted. Thought it was a pretty funny slip up. I am surprised that it hasn't been corrected yet though.

Troublemaker
12-12-2015, 04:58 PM
It's been corrected to alum.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-12-2015, 06:01 PM
Yes. Same problem with iPhone here. Every article every day. Really annoying.

I whole-heartedly agree. Reading the articles on an iPhone is darn near impossible with the friggin' ads. Julio, please talk to your hosts and make them do something about it! Thanks.:cool:

duke74
12-13-2015, 09:28 AM
It's been corrected to alum.

We can get into a semantic discussion here, but here's the Cambridge (British English) definition of "alumnus": "Someone who has ​left a ​school, ​college, or ​university after ​finishing ​their ​studies there" (Emphasis added)

So, while I respect and really like Jah and his body of work on the court for us, one can argue whether he is even an "alumnus" (although he did "finish his studies"). If he comes back to school, then, is he no longer an alumnus by this definition? hmmmm.

I should add that other dictionaries focus on one who has "attended" a school. Under that definition he is certainly an alumnus.

Would the Duke Alumni Assn invite him to become a member under its definition? Can he join? (consideration of all potential donations aside)

A distinction without a difference I think, but it's a lazy Sunday morning and I have nothing better to do after coming back from a long walk with my dog. :)

dudog84
12-13-2015, 09:47 AM
We can get into a semantic discussion here, but here's the Cambridge (British English) definition of "alumnus": "Someone who has ​left a ​school, ​college, or ​university after ​finishing ​their ​studies there" (Emphasis added)

So, while I respect and really like Jah and his body of work on the court for us, one can argue whether he is even an "alumnus" (although he did "finish his studies"). If he comes back to school, then, is he no longer an alumnus by this definition? hmmmm.

I should add that other dictionaries focus on one who has "attended" a school. Under that definition he is certainly an alumnus.

Would the Duke Alumni Assn invite him to become a member under its definition? Can he join? (consideration of all potential donations aside)

A distinction without a difference I think, but it's a lazy Sunday morning and I have nothing better to do after coming back from a long walk with my dog. :)

I remember being bothered by this a bit for the first time a decade ago when I saw Luol Deng referred to as an alumnus. Then I quickly realized that it is all about money. Luol, Jah, et. al. have the potential to give the school a LOT more money than I ever will. So I learned to let reality rule.

I highly doubt Duke is alone here. Though I don't know, I'd lay money that Harvard refers to Gates and Zuckerberg as alumni.

duke74
12-13-2015, 10:26 AM
I remember being bothered by this a bit for the first time a decade ago when I saw Luol Deng referred to as an alumnus. Then I quickly realized that it is all about money. Luol, Jah, et. al. have the potential to give the school a LOT more money than I ever will. So I learned to let reality rule.

I highly doubt Duke is alone here. Though I don't know, I'd lay money that Harvard refers to Gates and Zuckerberg as alumni.

Agree. And UT lists Michael Dell as one as well...all in the money (which is OK by me). As I noted previously, it's a distinction without a difference to me.

Luol, Jah, et. al. are all part of the family and will continue to be.

MCFinARL
12-14-2015, 07:57 AM

In my experience, the donation solicitors are happy to consider anyone who ever attended a school an "alum." My daughter who spent a year at UVA before transferring to Duke regularly gets mail from them, and my other daughter occasionally gets solicitations from the public magnet high school (which does some special program fundraising because of being a magnet school) she attended for one year.

And since you asked, I looked it up. Based on the by-laws (http://dukealumni.com/about-daa/policies/strategic-plan) of the Duke Alumni Assn, Jahlil Okafor is indeed eligible to join, assuming he finished his spring classes.

Qualifications. Members of this Association are all persons who have completed at least two consecutive semesters of work towards a degree from Duke University or its predecessor Trinity College.

dudog84
12-14-2015, 08:41 AM
Wow, I wonder how many alums we have from Trinity College. They will really "dig deep" for any donations, won't they? :D