PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast Episode 37: Duke plays Indiana twice, Brandon Ingram emerges

Dev11
12-08-2015, 10:19 AM
The latest episode of your favorite podcast hosted by three Duke fans is live. Check it out!

Links:
Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast)
iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dbr-podcast/id954964236?mt=2)
Stitcher (http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/58077/details)

Timestamps:
0:14 - Sam (and Cameron) welcome us
2:05 - Duke vs. Indiana - first basketball
11:50 - Duke-Buffalo recap; first, Jason tells us about a Gregg Doyle article that’s a must read
21:45 - Sam asks about the 1-3-1 in comparison to the 2-3 zone we employed last year
23:46 - Duke vs. Indiana - Pinstripe Bowl!
29:15 - We find out all 3 of us were at the Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl!
33:58 - We devolve into quick discussion of the ACCCG
36:30 - Women’s Soccer falls in the national title game
41:30 - Jason shares his painful basketball story from the IU game
44:40 - Sam talks about his experience watching UNC-MD with a MD girl
50:08 - Sam’s story reminds Donald of a power move he pulled on MD fans last year
52:40 - We talk about Duke’s record in the ACC-B1G challenge…it’s AWESOME
55:15 - The return of one of our favorite segments: Player of the Week!
1:01:40 - Parting Shots - We send best wishes to Pitt RB James Connor
1:03:25 - Jason announces we were wrong about The Hat; Fedora stays at UNC
1:05:32 - Sam branches into general discussion of recent ACC coaching hires
1:07:57 - Duke Band takes us home

blazindw
12-09-2015, 09:11 AM
I relish the chance to once again tell Maryland fans at our Duke bar here in DC that they thought they were going to watch the Terps, but the game will no longer be shown in this area. :)

Skitzle
12-09-2015, 11:45 AM
Never thought I would write about football on one of these podcast posts...

Thoughts on Duke getting picked over Pitt and Miami for the pinstripe bowl being an ACC "makeup call" after the Miami game.

Duke "should" have a better record than Miami and same record as Pitt.

Skitzle
12-09-2015, 12:12 PM
Righting the ship.

Duke lost to Ohio State in the big10 ACC challenge in 2011-2012 and Wisconsin in 2009-2010.

Never lost to Michigan or Michigan State in the challenge

blazindw
12-09-2015, 01:21 PM
Righting the ship.

Duke lost to Ohio State in the big10 ACC challenge in 2011-2012 and Wisconsin in 2009-2010.

You're right. The Michigan loss I was thinking about was 2008, but that was a non-conference game that wasn't a part of the Challenge (we beat Purdue). We had beaten Michigan a couple weeks earlier in the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic but lost to them in Ann Arbor.

Dev11
12-09-2015, 01:58 PM
Righting the ship.

I had the Wisconsin loss, didn't I? I have vivid memories of watching that game in Few Quad. It's right around when I joined the forum.

JasonEvans
12-09-2015, 04:48 PM
I had the Wisconsin loss, didn't I? I have vivid memories of watching that game in Few Quad. It's right around when I joined the forum.

15-2... our losses are so few we really should be better at remembering them. I take the blame for not doing better research.

-Jason "folks, if you have not heard what Donald did to the Maryland fans (@50:08 on the podcast) you need to listen... stone cold killer!" Evans

blazindw
12-10-2015, 12:05 AM
-Jason "folks, if you have not heard what Donald did to the Maryland fans (@50:08 on the podcast) you need to listen... stone cold killer!" Evans

They needed to learn...and on that day, I was willing to teach them. :)

UrinalCake
12-10-2015, 12:12 AM
Appreciate the explanation of the 1-3-1 defense as compared to the 2-3. One of my concerns with the 1-3-1 has been that it leaves the corner threes wide open. Every defense is going to have some weakness, and your explanation makes a lot of sense - it puts pressure on the ball-handlers to make it difficult for them to even pass the ball around the perimeter and get it to the shooters in the corners. The 1-3-1 does feel like a "pressing" zone in that we always seem to have two or three guys swarming the guy with the ball.

I'm also a little curious why we put Matt Jones at the back of the 1-3-1 instead of Amile or Plumlee. Seems like that would make more sense.

Skitzle
12-10-2015, 05:02 AM
Appreciate the explanation of the 1-3-1 defense as compared to the 2-3. One of my concerns with the 1-3-1 has been that it leaves the corner threes wide open. Every defense is going to have some weakness, and your explanation makes a lot of sense - it puts pressure on the ball-handlers to make it difficult for them to even pass the ball around the perimeter and get it to the shooters in the corners. The 1-3-1 does feel like a "pressing" zone in that we always seem to have two or three guys swarming the guy with the ball.

I'm also a little curious why we put Matt Jones at the back of the 1-3-1 instead of Amile or Plumlee. Seems like that would make more sense.

I did some research into the 1-3-1. Take a look at how Michigan State rips apart the 1-3-1 in this Northwestern game in 2010.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INdybXKC1ZQ

As teams get more experienced the 1-3-1 will be harder to use I think, even with Amile and Ingram and their length up top.

I'm not a real X&Os guy, but the movement required in a quality 1-3-1 seems to be a good first step to teaching a K style aggressive man-to-man. Wouldn't be suprised if we're playing primarily a man-to-man zone by tournament time. 1-3-1 might just be a good educational stop gap for the beginning of the season.

blazindw
12-10-2015, 08:25 AM

I did some research into the 1-3-1. Take a look at how Michigan State rips apart the 1-3-1 in this Northwestern game in 2010.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INdybXKC1ZQ

As teams get more experienced the 1-3-1 will be harder to use I think, even with Amile and Ingram and their length up top.

I'm not a real X&Os guy, but the movement required in a quality 1-3-1 seems to be a good first step to teaching a K style aggressive man-to-man. Wouldn't be suprised if we're playing primarily a man-to-man zone by tournament time. 1-3-1 might just be a good educational stop gap for the beginning of the season.

In traditional 1-3-1 zones, the big man is in the middle with a small forward in the back (usually to allow for traps in either corner). What's unconventional about our 1-3-1 is having Ingram or Amile up top. Usually that's the point guard's job. And, that unconventional positioning is probably what makes it look more frantic than normal.

JasonEvans
12-10-2015, 10:20 AM

Well, you need someone quick and smart in the back of the 1-3-1. The key to its success is definitely the ability to slow the passing around the perimeter and prevent teams from getting good, open looks. I think K is using it because we are unusually long this season and length makes a 1-3-1 more effective. It is not the kind of defense that many teams use, so opposing offenses are often somewhat confused trying to pick it apart. As I said on the podcast, how do you prepare to face Ingram's length? Nothing you do in practice can duplicate that and when you see it in a game, it can really confound you.

-Jason "I love watching K tinker with things... he will probably come back to man-to-man in the end, but it is fun to see him try new stuff" Evans