PDA

View Full Version : Pinstripe Bowl: Duke vs. Indiana, Dec. 26, 3:30 pm

wilson
12-06-2015, 04:18 PM
Confirmed by GoDuke.com:
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=210565093
Indiana had a better season than their 6-6 record might suggest, with close calls against Michigan, Michigan State, and Iowa.

BD80
12-06-2015, 04:30 PM
Didn't we just beat Indiana by 20?

Indoor66
12-06-2015, 04:36 PM

Yeah and that was only scoring two or three at a time! :D:cool:

Bob Green
12-06-2015, 04:40 PM
Hoosier senior quarterback Nate Sudfeld (6'6" 240) passed for 3124 yards with 24 touchdowns and five interceptions this season. He completed 60.7 percent of his pass attempts and has a rating of 153.9. Indiana has three receivers with 45+ pass receptions and a 1,200 yard running back.

Indiana and Duke have one common opponent in Wake Forest. Indiana beat Wake 34-27, while Duke beat Wake 27-21.

luvdahops
12-06-2015, 04:46 PM
Confirmed by GoDuke.com:
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=210565093
Indiana had a better season than their 6-6 record might suggest, with close calls against Michigan, Michigan State, and Iowa.

They also played Ohio State very tough. We should be favored but this is a tougher matchup than it looks like on paper.

nyesq83
12-06-2015, 04:53 PM
http://web.pinstripebowl.com/index

OldPhiKap
12-06-2015, 05:23 PM
They also played Ohio State very tough. We should be favored but this is a tougher matchup than it looks like on paper.

Not sure we will be favored, but either way I would figure a line less than 5 points either way.

brevity
12-06-2015, 06:13 PM
Sending the players to NYC for Christmas weekend? Yes please.

The game is on ABC Saturday afternoon. That's great exposure. Here is the bowl lineup for December 26:

St. Petersburg Bowl
Connecticut vs. Marshall
St. Petersburg, Florida | Tropicana Field
11 a.m. on ESPN

Hyundai Sun Bowl
Miami vs. Washington State
El Paso, Texas | Sun Bowl
2 p.m. on CBS

Zaxby's Heart of Dallas Bowl
Washington vs. Southern Miss
Dallas | Cotton Bowl
2:20 p.m. on ESPN

New Era Pinstripe Bowl
Indiana vs. Duke
Bronx, New York | Yankee Stadium
3:30 p.m. on ABC

Camping World Independence Bowl
Tulsa vs. Virginia Tech
Shreveport, Louisiana | Independence Stadium
5:45 p.m. on ESPN

Foster Farms Bowl
UCLA vs. Nebraska
Santa Clara, California | Levi's Stadium
9:15 p.m. on ESPN

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/page/bowlschedule2015/2015-16-college-football-playoff-bowl-schedule

Some overlap with the Miami game before and the Virginia Tech game after, but still pretty nice.

BD80
12-06-2015, 06:49 PM

I'll bet we're the underdog by kick-off. In Big 10/whatever Country, Indiana is considered to be a dangerous foe and MUCH better than their record. I think the betting money will flow toward the Big Ten team.

OldPhiKap
12-06-2015, 06:56 PM
I'll bet we're the underdog by kick-off. In Big 10/whatever Country, Indiana is considered to be a dangerous foe and MUCH better than their record. I think the betting money will flow toward the Big Ten team.

The only game I saw them this year was the Ohio State game. Indiana was incredible in that game and really really really could have won that one. Slugged the then-number one team (IIRC) punch for punch down the stretch and led late. This will be a very stout challenge.

devildeac
12-06-2015, 08:02 PM
Hoosier senior quarterback Nate Sudfeld (6'6" 240) passed for 3124 yards with 24 touchdowns and five interceptions this season. He completed 60.7 percent of his pass attempts and has a rating of 153.9. Indiana has three receivers with 45+ pass receptions and a 1,200 yard running back.

Indiana and Duke have one common opponent in Wake Forest. Indiana beat Wake 34-27, while Duke beat Wake 27-21.

Uh-oh, a tall passing QB with multiple receiver threats and a dangerous RB.

OldPhiKap
12-06-2015, 08:36 PM
Trying to decide if I can make it. Been to our last four. Any good tattoo-removal spots n the Bronx? The one from Juarez last year looks a bit -- um -- unhealthy.

BD80
12-06-2015, 09:09 PM
Trying to decide if I can make it. Been to our last four. Any good tattoo-removal spots n the Bronx? The one from Juarez last year looks a bit -- um -- unhealthy.

A bunch of places that can remove the entire limb bearing the dicey tat

OldPhiKap
12-06-2015, 09:12 PM
A bunch of places that can remove the entire limb bearing the dicey tat

In high school, we would drive down to Yankee games with a cooler of beer in the car -- mainly to give a beer to the guys who would come "wash your windshields" at Allen he red lights on Jerome Avenue instead of giving them money or telling them to Yank off. The Bronx ain't a joke.

At least, back in the day. Fort Apache, The Bronx.

OZ
12-06-2015, 09:38 PM

Only because their defense was bad. No pass defense at all.

OldPhiKap
12-06-2015, 09:48 PM

Only because their defense was bad. No pass defense at all.

U fortunately, their football coach is better than their basketball coach.

Tappan Zee Devil
12-06-2015, 09:50 PM
In high school, we would drive down to Yankee games with a cooler of beer in the car -- mainly to give a beer to the guys who would come "wash your windshields" at Allen he red lights on Jerome Avenue instead of giving them money or telling them to Yank off. The Bronx ain't a joke.

At least, back in the day. Fort Apache, The Bronx.

Bronx ain't what it was

OldPhiKap
12-06-2015, 09:52 PM
Bronx ain't what it was

Says the man in Sleepy Hollow. . . .

But if has changed, is there a good hotel nearby? Thinking of staying in Manhattan absent better options.

DU82
12-06-2015, 09:58 PM

But if has changed, is there a good hotel nearby? Thinking of staying in Manhattan absent better options.

Stay in Manhattan. Yankee Stadium is about a 25-30 minute subway ride from Times Square.
(According to the MTA trip planner: http://tripplanner.mta.info/MyTrip/ui_web/customplanner/TripPlanner.aspx )

devildeac
12-06-2015, 10:18 PM
We'll not be attending due to festivities at the devildeac abode on Christmas Day but will be assisting former cheerleader daughter and her spouse, former FB manager dukediv2011/2012/2013 with travel/lodging/ticket arrangements as family reps. We will absolutely we watching, cheering and chatting with various other Duke-affiliated family members and board denizens and partaking of modest quantities of high quality ales during said activities, with or without bad puns. :o

Reilly
12-06-2015, 10:20 PM

You made it to El Paso. If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere.

BD80
12-06-2015, 10:30 PM

Ol' Blue Eyes just rolled over in his grave

OldPhiKap
12-06-2015, 10:36 PM
We'll not be attending due to festivities at the devildeac abode on Christmas Day but will be assisting former cheerleader daughter and her spouse, former FB manager dukediv2011/2012/2013 with travel/lodging/ticket arrangements as family reps. We will absolutely we watching, cheering and chatting with various other Duke-affiliated family members and board denizens and partaking of modest quantities of high quality ales during said activities, with or without bad puns. :o

My guess is that it will be WITH bad puns. To the extent that is not redundant.

OldPhiKap
12-06-2015, 10:38 PM

Ol' Blue Eyes just rolled over in his grave

No one knows what it's like to be the bad man, to be the sad man -- behind Blue Devil eyes . . . .

Tappan Zee Devil
12-06-2015, 10:46 PM

Agree with DU82 - stay in Manhattan - or in Westchester (or Rockland County - which is actually where I live) - fewer good restaurants although I can give you some suggestions - or you can go into Manhattan for dinner - but much cheeper and easy access to Yankee Stadium down the Thruway and the Major Degan.

OldPhiKap
12-06-2015, 11:12 PM
Agree with DU82 - stay in Manhattan - or in Westchester (or Rockland County - which is actually where I live) - fewer good restaurants although I can give you some suggestions - or you can go into Manhattan for dinner - but much cheeper and easy access to Yankee Stadium down the Thruway and the Major Degan.

Ah, my old stopping grounds. Fairfield County man, across the border.

Will l illy fly, so would rather get to Manhattan and tKe the subway than rent a car.

But let me know where the pre-prep arty is, for sure.

budwom
12-07-2015, 08:58 AM
FWIW, we jumped ahead of Pitt to get the Tier 1 Pinstripe Bowl...Pitt got the Tier 2 Military Bowl, despite beating Duke and finishing 6-2 in the conference (we were 4-4).

I wonder if Kevin White somehow got the ACC to help us out a bit, given the thievery of the Miami game...then again, Duke's a good draw in NYC so perhaps no help was needed.

Gewebe14
12-07-2015, 09:04 AM

Night-time would find me in Cutcliffe's cantina
Music would play and Latina would whirl

Avvocato
12-07-2015, 09:57 AM
Without a doubt stay in Manhattan. No need to rent a car to go to the game. In fact, if you are in Manhattan, I recommend that you don't drive to the game. My only suggestion is to, if possible, you may want to stay closer to the B, D or 4 subway lines. Those are the ones that take you to Yankee Stadium. It's an easy subway ride to and from the game. Not a big deal if you are not by those lines but just an FYI.

luvdahops
12-07-2015, 10:00 AM

Perhaps. But keep in mind that IU also lost at home to Rutgers and were blown out by a very mediocre Penn State team. Those are much worse losses than any of ours. By the same token, their close calls against Iowa and Michigan bear special mention, since both of those squads hammered Northwestern.

duke blue brewcrew
12-07-2015, 10:13 AM
I'm excited about this game. I know Indiana has some weapons that will prove challenging. This Senior class has done so much for the Duke Football program, as have the last several for that matter. I would love nothing more than to see these guys go out on top at the end of what I'm sure will be a hard fought game. What will Cash do in his final game as a Blue Devil? Something special I hope, and after that I can't wait to watch him play on Sundays next year!

tbyers11
12-07-2015, 10:26 AM

We appear to be the underdog as of right now. Opening line I saw was Indiana by 3.

devildeac
12-07-2015, 10:32 AM

This must be acknowledged and sporked accordingly. Well done.

Tom B.
12-07-2015, 11:16 AM
Perhaps. But keep in mind that IU also lost at home to Rutgers and were blown out by a very mediocre Penn State team. Those are much worse losses than any of ours. By the same token, their close calls against Iowa and Michigan bear special mention, since both of those squads hammered Northwestern.

Indiana scores a lot but also gives up a lot of points. They gave up more than 40 points four times this season, and gave up more than 50 twice. Their best defensive performance (from a scoring perspective) was against Florida International, to whom they gave up "only" 22 points. They gave up 24 points to Wake Forest, 28 to Maryland, and 29 point to Penn State (but lost by 22). All of their other opponents scored over 30. Indiana actually gave up 11 more points over the whole season than they scored.

Duke, by contrast, was +77 for the season. If you take away the 55-0 win over N.C. Central, we were still +22. Of course, in the second half of the season, we gave up 43*, 30, 66, 31, 42, and 21 points.

*Four overtimes.

Bob Green
12-07-2015, 04:00 PM
Perhaps. But keep in mind that IU also lost at home to Rutgers and were blown out by a very mediocre Penn State team.

Starting quarterback Nate Sudfeld and leading rusher Jordan Howard did not play in the Penn State game. They were both hurt the previous week against Ohio State. Howard's status for the Pinstripe Bowl is not clear as he recently had his knee scoped.

Billy Dat
12-07-2015, 04:48 PM
Without a doubt stay in Manhattan. No need to rent a car to go to the game. In fact, if you are in Manhattan, I recommend that you don't drive to the game. My only suggestion is to, if possible, you may want to stay closer to the B, D or 4 subway lines. Those are the ones that take you to Yankee Stadium. It's an easy subway ride to and from the game. Not a big deal if you are not by those lines but just an FYI.

Two things to add here:

-Not that the non-Manhattan rates will be cheap, but the Manhattan hotels will be insanely expensive that week.
-The new Yankee stadium had the smarts to build a commuter train station. As a result, the Westchester trains drop you off right there. If you wanted to save some $ and head north, it's an easy trip. Look at the various stops on these train lines and get creative. Of course, this being a board full of Duke grads, perhaps $ is no object, and that's pretty sweet if that's the case!!!

http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm
(the lines East of the Hudson - Hudson line, Harlem Line, New Haven line)

I am sure they will have special trains for the Bowl Game, make sure before you make any travel plans.

Wander
12-07-2015, 04:56 PM
FWIW, we jumped ahead of Pitt to get the Tier 1 Pinstripe Bowl...Pitt got the Tier 2 Military Bowl, despite beating Duke and finishing 6-2 in the conference (we were 4-4).

I wonder if Kevin White somehow got the ACC to help us out a bit, given the thievery of the Miami game...then again, Duke's a good draw in NYC so perhaps no help was needed.

Why does anyone care whether we're in a Tier 1 vs Tier 2 bowl? All it refers to is the corrupt selection process for how bowls choose teams. It has nothing to do with prestige, and I doubt there's a single school in the country that lists "Tier 1 bowl" as an accomplishment. Pitt's opponent is far superior to Duke's, so regardless of bowl tier number, their game is better.

NYBri
12-07-2015, 05:02 PM

With medical procedure or Street Surgery?

OldPhiKap
12-07-2015, 05:07 PM
With medical procedure or Street Surgery?

Well, it's outside network so I'm trying to save a little scratch if I can.

Billy Dat
12-07-2015, 05:11 PM
It would certainly be possible to spend the entire day in the Bronx and have a gay old time. The Zoo and Botanical Garden are adjacent to each other, open all year, and do a great job of dressing up for the holidays. Arthur Avenue, the locus of the Bronx's Little Italy, is also a must. Plus, you could cruise around Fordham and visit historic Rose Hill gym to tick off a "college basketball cathedrals" bucket list item, even if there is no game going on.

luvdahops
12-07-2015, 05:26 PM
Starting quarterback Nate Sudfeld and leading rusher Jordan Howard did not play in the Penn State game. They were both hurt the previous week against Ohio State. Howard's status for the Pinstripe Bowl is not clear as he recently had his knee scoped.

True, although backups for both (QB Zander Diamont, RB Devine Redding) played very well against Ohio State. Diamont is a dual threat type (Sudfeld more of a pro-style QB), and also started 6 games in 2014. He was knocked out with a shoulder injury against Penn State early in the 3Q with the Hoosiers already down 19-7. The injury kept him out the balance of the regular season, though I am not sure of his status for the Pinstripe. Redding is a bit shiftier than Howard but also not as much of a load to try and bring down.

OldPhiKap
12-07-2015, 05:28 PM
It would certainly be possible to spend the entire day in the Bronx and have a gay old time. The Zoo and Botanical Garden are adjacent to each other, open all year, and do a great job of dressing up for the holidays. Arthur Avenue, the locus of the Bronx's Little Italy, is also a must. Plus, you could cruise around Fordham and visit historic Rose Hill gym to tick off a "college basketball cathedrals" bucket list item, even if there is no game going on.

The Botanical Garden used to have a model train exhibit set up, with many of the famous NY landmarks made out of wood and plants. WAY cool. http://www.nybg.org/hts15/

Loved the Bronx Zoo as a kid, have not been there in 30-plus years.

Avvocato
12-07-2015, 05:36 PM
See the below link from ESPN.com's ACC blog. It discusses what each team gets as swag from each Bowl. I think it's safe to say that our guys got the short end of the stick on this one. Maybe Pitt isn't so upset about going to the Military Bowl.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/89164/list-of-acc-bowl-swag

CameronBornAndBred
12-07-2015, 05:47 PM
Pitt's opponent is far superior to Duke's, so regardless of bowl tier number, their game is better.
Their bowl is on a Monday at 2:30. Ours is a Saturday at 3:30. I'll take ours, regardless of opponent.

Billy Dat
12-07-2015, 07:54 PM
The Botanical Garden used to have a model train exhibit set up, with many of the famous NY landmarks made out of wood and plants. WAY cool. http://www.nybg.org/hts15/

Loved the Bronx Zoo as a kid, have not been there in 30-plus years.

As your link shows, aint no "used to", they still do it every year and it will be happening during the bowl weekend. I have been, too, as an adult with my kids, and it is very cool, although my kids lack patience so I didn't get to linger.

-jk
12-07-2015, 08:25 PM
As your link shows, aint no "used to", they still do it every year and it will be happening during the bowl weekend. I have been, too, as an adult with my kids, and it is very cool, although my kids lack patience so I didn't get to linger.

Lucky! My kids always lingered at the model railroad setups. And way too long...

-jk

arnie
12-07-2015, 08:38 PM
See the below link from ESPN.com's ACC blog. It discusses what each team gets as swag from each Bowl. I think it's safe to say that our guys got the short end of the stick on this one. Maybe Pitt isn't so upset about going to the Military Bowl.

Of course Duke University did better than Pittsburgh since our bowl payout is double that of Military Bowl.

arnie
12-07-2015, 08:41 PM
Why does anyone care whether we're in a Tier 1 vs Tier 2 bowl? All it refers to is the corrupt selection process for how bowls choose teams. It has nothing to do with prestige, and I doubt there's a single school in the country that lists "Tier 1 bowl" as an accomplishment. Pitt's opponent is far superior to Duke's, so regardless of bowl tier number, their game is better.

See post #47

BD80
12-07-2015, 08:59 PM
It would certainly be possible to spend the entire day in the Bronx and have a gay old time. ... Arthur Avenue, the locus of the Bronx's Little Italy, is also a must. ...

Ate there years ago. There was a couple block radius where you could part on the street with absolutely no concern. You missed by a block or two, you'd be lucky if your car was the only casualty.

Hats. Our guys get hats.

OldPhiKap
12-07-2015, 09:36 PM
All right, Pinstripe Roll Call time.

Bought my plane tickets today, East Coast B-I-L ordering the tix (big thanks if you are lurking!). Who else is going?

Olympic Fan
12-08-2015, 12:47 PM
I was just watching the Pinstripe Bowl press conference from Yankee Stadium. Cut and Kevin White were there, along with a bunch of Yankee officials and New Era people.

Not a lot of substance, but I did get this:

-- The last two Pinstripe Bowls (and four of the six previous bowls) have all been sellouts.

-- Weather is chancy ... of the last two bowls, one was played in 60 degree weather ... the other was played in a snowstorm. Cut said that after watching Indiana's offense on film, he's praying for bad weather.

-- Duke has actually played in more Rose Bowls (2) than Indiana (1)

-- Yankee Stadium has installed a new LED lighting system that will be used for the first time during this game

-- Indiana coach Kevin Wilson played at UNC.

-- The Duke players will visit the Sloan-Kettering Cancer Institute during their trip. Other activities will a visit to the 9/11 Memorial, lunch at Tavern on the Green, a night at Elaine's Comedy Club and an appearance on Good Morning America (not clear if anybody actually appears on the show or if the team is just in the audience, which I guess is more likely). Both teams will also see the Christmas Show at the Radio City Music Hall.

-- Don't know if he was pandering to the New Era execs in the audience, but Cutcliffe said his players are really excited about getting the New Era hats that are part of their swag ... he said the millenials really love those hats.

I also found this short promotional video. I thought it is noteable because they managed to find a clip of a Duke player making an impressive one-on-one tackle in the UNC game:

http://m.mlb.com/nyy/video/topic/26446990/v533371883/new-yorks-bowl-game-new-era-pinstripe-bowl

DukieInKansas
12-08-2015, 05:26 PM
How difficult is it to get tickets? Wondering if I can talk any family into going as I'll be 90 miles outside the city for Christmas this year. Maybe Santa will put tickets under the tree for me. :D

OldPhiKap
12-08-2015, 05:29 PM
How difficult is it to get tickets? Wondering if I can talk any family into going as I'll be 90 miles outside the city for Christmas this year. Maybe Santa will put tickets under the tree for me. :D

Meet you at the pre-game Duke party!

Check GoDuke.com, tix still available AFAIK.

Plus you will be in the Duke section.

Plus plus, the school gets credit for the attendance which always matters in future bowl selections. If Duke continues to turn out well for the bowls, we are a more attractive pick (perhaps part of why we got this bowl and Pitt is playing on a Monday afternoon).

I can bring your NYE order of mashed potatoes, it'll save the shipping cost.

DukieInKansas
12-08-2015, 05:57 PM
Meet you at the pre-game Duke party!

Check GoDuke.com, tix still available AFAIK.

Plus you will be in the Duke section.

Plus plus, the school gets credit for the attendance which always matters in future bowl selections. If Duke continues to turn out well for the bowls, we are a more attractive pick (perhaps part of why we got this bowl and Pitt is playing on a Monday afternoon).

I can bring your NYE order of mashed potatoes, it'll save the shipping cost.

If I convince anyone to go with me, I'll bring your gravy.

OldPhiKap
12-08-2015, 09:38 PM
Stay in Manhattan. Yankee Stadium is about a 25-30 minute subway ride from Times Square.
(According to the MTA trip planner: http://tripplanner.mta.info/MyTrip/ui_web/customplanner/TripPlanner.aspx )

Thanks, staying at Grand Central. Looks like the 4 to the stadium toward Woodlawn. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy.

Sweep IU!

Tappan Zee Devil
12-09-2015, 09:37 PM
Two things to add here:

-Not that the non-Manhattan rates will be cheap, but the Manhattan hotels will be insanely expensive that week.
-The new Yankee stadium had the smarts to build a commuter train station. As a result, the Westchester trains drop you off right there. If you wanted to save some $ and head north, it's an easy trip. Look at the various stops on these train lines and get creative. Of course, this being a board full of Duke grads, perhaps $ is no object, and that's pretty sweet if that's the case!!!

http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm
(the lines East of the Hudson - Hudson line, Harlem Line, New Haven line)

I am sure they will have special trains for the Bowl Game, make sure before you make any travel plans.

I live across the river and don't often look at the Westchester trains (other than pick up my daughter to/from the City) but agree that Westchester will be a much cheeper place to sleep with good access to NYC

OldPhiKap
12-09-2015, 09:43 PM
Since it's The City That Never Sleeps, a hotel room really is not necessary. Just lots of coffee.

budwom
12-10-2015, 09:26 AM
Of course Duke University did better than Pittsburgh since our bowl payout is double that of Military Bowl.

Not so much true, with respect to Duke doing better. The conference pools all the bowl revenue. I guess we all benefit this year from
Clemson's spot.

Blue in the Face
12-10-2015, 10:59 AM
Hard to emphasize this enough. If you're going to sit in (potentially) really cold weather for 3+ hours, might as well do it with a belly full of quality old-school italian. It's not walking distance from the Stadium, but it's a short ride, and in the age of Uber and it's ilk, really pretty convenient.

budwom
12-10-2015, 11:44 AM
Hard to emphasize this enough. If you're going to sit in (potentially) really cold weather for 3+ hours, might as well do it with a belly full of quality old-school italian. It's not walking distance from the Stadium, but it's a short ride, and in the age of Uber and it's ilk, really pretty convenient.

I'm not Ubering for the game, but wonder if Uber might be Uberwhelmed in the area that day....ultra premium Uber pricing?

Devilsforlife
12-10-2015, 10:46 PM
Interesting to note that the Miami nonsense wound up not impacting our bowl placement at all. Even had we been properly awarded the win and finished 8-4 (or 9-3/10-2 even) we certainly wouldn't have done any better than a Tier One bowl. The loss to the Cheats pretty much left us with Tier One as the best-case scenario. Happy for the team it was realized. Now go get that elusive bowl win!

CameronBornAndBred
12-13-2015, 09:25 AM
Who will be calling our offense? I'm assuming SM will be getting some recruiting done that weekend.

PDDuke85
12-13-2015, 10:13 AM
Cut coached Tennessee in their bowl game after taking the Duke job. I'm thinking Scottie can and will do the same.

OldPhiKap
12-13-2015, 12:39 PM
Cut coached Tennessee in their bowl game after taking the Duke job. I'm thinking Scottie can and will do the same.

Kirby Smart is out recruiting for his new gig right now, but will be Alabama's OC in their bowl(s).

Spurrier coached in our '89 bowl although he had already taken the Florida job. (HBC now thinks that was a mistake though, and was stated to be a factor in his mid-season resignation this year).

Unless Cut is going to call the plays himself, I gotta figure Scottie will be at the helm.

OldPhiKap
12-13-2015, 07:23 PM
Per Laura Keeley tweet,vScottie will be at the bowl as our OC. No reason to leave any plays in the playbook.

CameronBornAndBred
12-13-2015, 08:11 PM
Per Laura Keeley tweet,vScottie will be at the bowl as our OC. No reason to leave any plays in the playbook.
Yup, he is starting at ECU on the 1st. :D

devildeac
12-13-2015, 08:44 PM

Good golly, I hope we don't see a fake double reverse flea flicker punter bubble screen pass to a tackle-eligible player :rolleyes: .

devildeac
12-13-2015, 09:01 PM

Yup, he is starting at ECU on the 1st. :D

Smart, intelligent move. Continuity and not trying to institute something new/disruptive in 2 weeks of practice before the bowl game although I heard Ozzie was available as interim OC, depending on the amount of pastrami and/or corned beef involved.:rolleyes:

budwom
12-14-2015, 08:55 AM
Smart, intelligent move. Continuity and not trying to institute something new/disruptive in 2 weeks of practice before the bowl game although I heard Ozzie was available as interim OC, depending on the amount of pastrami and/or corned beef involved.:rolleyes:

your pastrami posting privileges have been revoked, and you know why. You may repent at any time.

devildeac
12-14-2015, 10:40 AM
your pastrami posting privileges have been revoked, and you know why. You may repent at any time.

Begging to differ:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/34/Pastrami_sandwich.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katz%27s_Delicatessen#/media/File:Katzs_deli_corned_beef.jpg

Warning: links contain images of obscene amounts of tempting items...

budwom
12-14-2015, 11:40 AM
Begging to differ:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/34/Pastrami_sandwich.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katz%27s_Delicatessen#/media/File:Katzs_deli_corned_beef.jpg

Warning: links contain images of obscene amounts of tempting items...

that's more like it. Yer Boyz up at Carnegie aren't doing so well, cheating their employees, cheating the gas company...oh, and closed, too.

Pregame services planned saturday at Katz's...that should handle hunger for the next 8 hours or so...

devildeac
12-14-2015, 12:02 PM
that's more like it. Yer Boyz up at Carnegie aren't doing so well, cheating their employees, cheating the gas company...oh, and closed, too.

Pregame services planned saturday at Katz's...that should handle hunger for the next 8 hours or so...

I saw that the Carnegie was closed. Not cool. We're not going to the bowl but will be sending family reps so will be sure to place a take out order...

budwom
12-14-2015, 12:32 PM
I saw that the Carnegie was closed. Not cool. We're not going to the bowl but will be sending family reps so will be sure to place a take out order...

I am pleased to say you are a very strong candidate for rehabilitation, and I look forward to escorting you to Katz's some day where you can apologize to them for any
regrettable comments you may have made in the past. I'm convinced they will welcome you with open arms.

OldPhiKap
12-14-2015, 12:51 PM
I am pleased to say you are a very strong candidate for rehabilitation, and I look forward to escorting you to Katz's some day where you can apologize to them for any
regrettable comments you may have made in the past. I'm convinced they will welcome you with open arms.

Katz's staff, of course, being known for their hospitality and gracious patience . . . .

budwom
12-14-2015, 03:23 PM
Katz's staff, of course, being known for their hospitality and gracious patience . . . .

Exactly! Let bygones be bygones! Now get out of the way and let the next guy order.

Stray Gator
12-14-2015, 03:36 PM

Diplomacy has no place in a real deli.

CameronBornAndBred
12-14-2015, 03:41 PM
Diplomacy has no place in a real deli.

Avvocato
12-15-2015, 05:40 PM
FYI - For those that haven't bought tickets yet but plan to go. I am a NYC resident who has gone to Yankee Stadium often but never for football. One thing I'm told is that you want some elevation with your seats. The field level seats at Yankee Stadium are pretty much ground level, or at least the ones closest to the field. I'm told you sometimes are looking through the bench or players. The back of the field level seats are elevated somewhat. I just don't know at what point this is not an issue (or how much of an issue it really is) but thought I would share what others who have attended football games at The Stadium have told me. I actually purchased my seats through Ticketmaster in Section 209. I know Duke didn't get credit, which I would love for them to get, but I have no standing with the Iron Dukes and wanted to be able to select my seats.

Reilly
12-19-2015, 12:02 AM
Happy bowl season.

budwom
12-19-2015, 09:27 AM
FYI - For those that haven't bought tickets yet but plan to go. I am a NYC resident who has gone to Yankee Stadium often but never for football. One thing I'm told is that you want some elevation with your seats. The field level seats at Yankee Stadium are pretty much ground level, or at least the ones closest to the field. I'm told you sometimes are looking through the bench or players. The back of the field level seats are elevated somewhat. I just don't know at what point this is not an issue (or how much of an issue it really is) but thought I would share what others who have attended football games at The Stadium have told me. I actually purchased my seats through Ticketmaster in Section 209. I know Duke didn't get credit, which I would love for them to get, but I have no standing with the Iron Dukes and wanted to be able to select my seats.

Ha, similarly, we went for section 231...gotta have some elevation....I've learned over the years to avoid buying from the Iron Dukes, though some tell me that has improved somewhat. I've had too
many tickets low down near the end zone from them.

A-Tex Devil
12-21-2015, 12:21 PM
Twitter feed showed this helmet pop up as our helmet for the bowl game. Thoughts? I still prefer the black matte/shiny blue D, but I can get behind this, I think.

budwom
12-21-2015, 12:33 PM
as long as we win, we could wear French maids' outfits for all I care...*

* noting our nickname debt to the fine peoples of France

wilson
12-21-2015, 12:34 PM
Twitter feed showed this helmet pop up as our helmet for the bowl game. Thoughts? I still prefer the black matte/shiny blue D, but I can get behind this, I think.

5804They could wear a white helmet with an iridescent blue turd on it and I'd automatically prefer it to anything featuring black, which is not a Duke school color.
That said, I like this design on its own merits. I've been a little bummed to see the de-emphasizing of Devil logos in the last few years, and to me, this design strikes a nice balance between heritage and new-school flash.

CameronBornAndBred
12-21-2015, 12:45 PM
T
That said, I like this design on its own merits. I've been a little bummed to see the de-emphasizing of Devil logos in the last few years, and to me, this design strikes a nice balance between heritage and new-school flash.
I agree, but of all the Devil logos this isn't my favorite. In order of preference...
1. 5806
2. 5805
3. 5807
4. 5808

CameronBornAndBred
12-21-2015, 12:49 PM
PS...the one on the helmet does stand out nicely, which is important.

It will be cool to see the team playing with a new look.

PDDuke85
12-21-2015, 12:55 PM
PS...the one on the helmet does stand out nicely, which is important.

It will be cool to see the team playing with a new look.

You mean some misdirection running plays and a pass rush?

devildeac
12-21-2015, 01:24 PM

Beat me to it by about 30 minutes. This was among my first thoughts.

Richard Berg
12-21-2015, 01:41 PM
Can the Duke surgeons animate a franken-linebacker with Jeremy's knees and Kelby's wrist?

wilson
12-21-2015, 01:57 PM
I agree, but of all the Devil logos this isn't my favorite. In order of preference...
1. 5806
2. 5805
3. 5807
4. 5808I'm right with you, but given the general state of our athletic wardrobe, I'll take what I can get.

Avvocato
12-21-2015, 04:50 PM

Not a fan myself but am more focused on playing a good game and actually winning it.

By the way, temperatures this week in NYC are in the 60's and even expecting 70's on Thursday. Of course, on game day, the current forecast is for highs in the low 50's with a 50% chance of showers in the afternoon. Of course, low 50's for the end of December is pretty good for NYC (just saying 60's or 70's would be OK with me, too). In any case, rain or shine, I'll be there.

weezie
12-21-2015, 05:27 PM
Digging the helmet! Old school ties.

Jim3k
12-21-2015, 09:15 PM
Harp's helmet? Bleah! Bad karma. Bad.

Bob Green
12-23-2015, 07:19 AM
The Bill Connelly preview linked on the front page is a decent read:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/12/22/10632782/pinstripe-bowl-preview-duke-indiana?_ga=1.172927147.982662995.1416158368

His description of Duke's offense:

The offense, a pass-first unit that can't pass very well...

Followed by commentary on Indiana's defense:

But if anything can get the Blue Devils going, it might be the Indiana defense.

The article's weakness is it totally ignores Special Teams, which could be the difference maker in a high scoring game. It is time to win a bowl game!

cspan37421
12-23-2015, 08:48 AM
Back in the 80s, and for some time thereafter, there was a decal (maybe a sticker, but I thought it was a water-transfer decal) that had 4 Blue Devils lined up with their backs (capes) to the viewer, with D-U-K-E spelled out on them. One on the end had his (its?) head turned to the side, and was blowing a raspberry with a thumb to the nose. It amused me greatly (literally projecting a "devil may care" attitude), and I think it would make a pretty funny helmet logo.

Unfortunately I can't find an image of it online. Probably long-since discontinued. I did find one where the four devils are lined up and one is turned to the side, but it isn't blowing a raspberry. So it's missing the irreverent part entirely.

Not a fan of the prospective helmet logo shown on the page, but if we can win this game, it'll have one very good thing going for it.

Kfanarmy
12-23-2015, 09:15 AM

It really doesn't take long for folks to get dissatisfied with success does it? Duke is going to its fourth bowl game in a row. Between the Cotton bowl in 1961 and the Belk bowl in 2012, Duke went to two bowl games. That's two in 41 years. There were also the 17 years of losing seasons prior to 2012. Coach Cutcliffe and gang are doing something right. I'd say they do have a "new look." Enjoy the ride!

budwom
12-23-2015, 09:27 AM
The Bill Connelly preview linked on the front page is a decent read:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/12/22/10632782/pinstripe-bowl-preview-duke-indiana?_ga=1.172927147.982662995.1416158368

His description of Duke's offense:

Followed by commentary on Indiana's defense:

The article's weakness is it totally ignores Special Teams, which could be the difference maker in a high scoring game. It is time to win a bowl game!

Frankly, I thought the article was pretty bad. It certainly looked to me like it was written by a guy who only looked at the stats to formulate his analysis...especially
the part about teams trying to attack Duke primarily on the ground. In reality our first seven games or so were vs. teams who couldn't pass....hence the stats.
Once we got to the latter part of the schedule, teams were more than happy to pass against us...

Indiana obviously has a pretty good offense...we're going to have to score a lot to win, turnover battle will, as it often is, be key.

duke blue brewcrew
12-23-2015, 09:31 AM
All I want for Christmas is a Duke Football Bowl victory! The front page article is an interesting read. I agree with some of the posters, it's obvious they don't know Sirk that well, they overlook the special teams factor in this game, and FWIW, seem to be looking past a solid Duke run game as well. Maybe the flashback to the old-school logo is the shot in the arm the Blue Devils need to pull this off. It sounds like both teams have similar strengths and weaknesses, so it sounds like whichever team can overcome themselves and the moment, has a chance to go home the Pinstripe Bowl winner.

Kfanarmy
12-23-2015, 09:34 AM
It really doesn't take long for folks to get dissatisfied with success does it? Duke is going to its fourth bowl game in a row. Between the Cotton bowl in 1961 and the Belk bowl in 2012, Duke went to two bowl games. That's two in 50 years. There were also the 17 years of losing seasons prior to 2012. Coach Cutcliffe and gang are doing something right. I'd say they do have a "new look." Enjoy the ride!

Sorry that's two bowl games in 50 years..

wilson
12-23-2015, 09:42 AM
Back in the 80s, and for some time thereafter, there was a decal (maybe a sticker, but I thought it was a water-transfer decal) that had 4 Blue Devils lined up with their backs (capes) to the viewer, with D-U-K-E spelled out on them. One on the end had his (its?) head turned to the side, and was blowing a raspberry with a thumb to the nose. It amused me greatly (literally projecting a "devil may care" attitude), and I think it would make a pretty funny helmet logo.

Unfortunately I can't find an image of it online. Probably long-since discontinued. I did find one where the four devils are lined up and one is turned to the side, but it isn't blowing a raspberry. So it's missing the irreverent part entirely.

Not a fan of the prospective helmet logo shown on the page, but if we can win this game, it'll have one very good thing going for it.I had this very sticker on multiple cars, and I love it for the same reasons you say. I have never seen it available online, but I've always seen it in the Duke Store on campus. If you or someone you know is headed there soon, you should have a look.

PDDuke85
12-23-2015, 11:10 AM
It really doesn't take long for folks to get dissatisfied with success does it? Duke is going to its fourth bowl game in a row. Between the Cotton bowl in 1961 and the Belk bowl in 2012, Duke went to two bowl games. That's two in 41 years. There were also the 17 years of losing seasons prior to 2012. Coach Cutcliffe and gang are doing something right. I'd say they do have a "new look." Enjoy the ride!

believe it or not, the tongue was firmly in cheek and I do enjoy some light hearted humor once in a while. I am actually quite satisfied. Merriest of Christmas!

Bob Green
12-23-2015, 11:10 AM
There were also the 17 years of losing seasons prior to 2012.

While I agree wholeheartedly with the overall theme of your post, picking nits is a favorite pastime of mine so I must point out we were 6-7 in 2012 making it 18 losing seasons in a row.

Enjoy the ride!

I agree 100 percent!

Jim3k
12-23-2015, 04:31 PM

Not a fan of the prospective helmet logo shown on the page, but if we can win this game, it'll have one very good thing going for it.

That was a decal, often seen on cars. It was common in 1960 when I first arrived on campus. You could get them in the Dope Shop. (Is Dope Shop a description that is currently valid?) So the Four Devils design is old, traditional (and still cute.)

cspan37421
12-23-2015, 04:43 PM
(Is Dope Shop a description that is currently valid?)

I'm not sure, but that would be a sound start to a sarcastic quip that might rouse a moderator.

cspan37421
12-23-2015, 04:45 PM
So the Four Devils design is old, traditional (and still cute.)

The irreverence of it would, for me as a spectator, take the edge off losing (bowl) games, and yet it works just as well for winning too.

weezie
12-23-2015, 07:16 PM
(Is Dope Shop a description that is currently valid?)

I'm not sure, but that would be a sound start to a sarcastic quip that might rouse a moderator.

Ye Good Olde Dope Shop... :) The present generation has no idea what they're missing...
Root beer milkshakes anyone? :cool:

OldPhiKap
12-23-2015, 07:26 PM
Ye Good Olde Dope Shop... :) The present generation has no idea what they're missing...

I lived in Wilson for two years. About every breakfast was two dope dogs with cheese and a Coke, sitting on our bench on the main East quad.

Memories.

weezie
12-23-2015, 08:43 PM
Holy moly, it's a miracle you're still with us OPK.

OldPhiKap
12-23-2015, 08:56 PM
Holy moly, it's a miracle you're still with us OPK.

You don't know how true that observation is, my friend.

cspan37421
12-23-2015, 09:43 PM
I lived in Wilson for two years. About every breakfast was two dope dogs with cheese and a Coke, sitting on our bench on the main East quad.

Memories.

Daily lunch routine: check PO box, go around corner to Dope Shop and get 2 chili dogs and ... well, I don't remember what else I ate or drank, it didn't really matter. I lived for those chili dogs.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-23-2015, 09:44 PM
My late night studying was often accompanied by a chili cheeseburger... when I first began ordering this creation, there was no charge for the chili added to a cheeseburger. After a time the chili cheeseburger became part of the menu with a price that included the chili.

Most of you are too young to remember the nickle Cokes... a bargain which allowed you establish yourself in a booth sometime after 5th. period. Being in the West Dope after 5th. period was an important strategy to maximize socializing prior to the weekend. You see, the men came through the Dope when they checked their mailboxes. It's all a matter of location and timing!;)

sagegrouse
12-23-2015, 10:32 PM
My late night studying was often accompanied by a chili cheeseburger... when I first began ordering this creation, there was no charge for the chili added to a cheeseburger. After a time the chili cheeseburger became part of the menu with a price that included the chili.

Most of you are too young to remember the nickle Cokes... a bargain which allowed you establish yourself in a booth sometime after 5th. period. Being in the West Dope after 5th. period was an important strategy to maximize socializing prior to the weekend. You see, the men came through the Dope when they checked their mailboxes. It's all a matter of location and timing!;)

Actually, I got my name on a wreath in front of the Chapel for being inducted into a (totally sham) fraternity called Delta Sigma Alpha. It actually stood for Dope Shop Anonymous. It was a tribute to the time I spent there.

YmoBeThere
12-23-2015, 11:52 PM
As a '93 alum, I'm starting to feel young again after these posts. Knowing that others of my year may now have children at Duke has got me feeling old.

ricks68
12-24-2015, 12:31 AM
Actually, I got my name on a wreath in front of the Chapel for being inducted into a (totally sham) fraternity called Delta Sigma Alpha. It actually stood for Dope Shop Anonymous. It was a tribute to the time I spent there.

So, what you are saying is that your name was on a different wreath than the one on the Chapel steps on the afternoon of the last day of classes for the year that was accompanied by a toilet with a large bucket of green grits beside it. Right?:p

ricks

ricks68
12-24-2015, 12:38 AM

My roommate was allowed to have a large record rack put in at the junction of the Dope Shop and the Duke Store. I have no idea how he pulled that off, but his family had a record store in New Orleans where he got the albums to stock it with.

ricks

ricks68
12-24-2015, 12:56 AM
Daily lunch routine: check PO box, go around corner to Dope Shop and get 2 chili dogs and ... well, I don't remember what else I ate or drank, it didn't really matter. I lived for those chili dogs.

An interesting side note: The very first day I checked my mail upon arriving on campus in the early fall of 1964, I opened up the box to discover a draft card inside left from the previous recently graduated occupant. I thought about altering the 6 to become a 5 on the height listed so that it would then read 5' 10", my approximate height. That would be a really simple way, I figured, to have a fake ID to use. Unfortunately, there was no way I could have used it due to the name that was on it.

Is there anyone out there that can guess who the card belonged to? ;) (For all the Crusties on the thread now, that should be an easy one.)

ricks

SoCalDukeFan
12-24-2015, 01:24 AM
is the father of Clay Buckley.

SoCal

martydoesntfoul
12-24-2015, 02:01 AM
is the father of Clay Buckley.

SoCal

Jay -- yep, I think that's a good guess.

martydoesntfoul
12-24-2015, 02:06 AM

We were slightly less ambitious. The plan was to go into one of the dining halls on west (forget the name) for breakfast, and then stay long enough without being kicked out so we could eat again when lunch was served. That way you only had to pay once.

cakerace
12-24-2015, 04:01 AM
"Bones McKinney wears Dope Shop ties." Now, hadn't thought of that in forty years...

sagegrouse
12-24-2015, 08:39 AM
So, what you are saying is that your name was on a different wreath than the one on the Chapel steps on the afternoon of the last day of classes for the year that was accompanied by a toilet with a large bucket of green grits beside it. Right?:p

ricks

Yep. The Order of the Chair went steeply downhill during my four years and came to be controlled by those who had little appreciation for campus culture. I will say, however, it was very inventive while Art Heyman was the emcee.

Indoor66
12-24-2015, 08:42 AM
Upthread was a post about vinyl music. Anyone remember the original store of The Record Bar chain - that was in downtown Durham not too far from the Criterion Theater? It was run by the Bergdorf [I think] family.

sagegrouse
12-24-2015, 08:42 AM
"Bones McKinney wears Dope Shop ties." Now, hadn't thought of that in forty years...

An earlier version circa 1963 was, "Frank Howard wears Dope Shop ties."

Indoor66
12-24-2015, 08:44 AM

Remember when Bones wore a seat belt on the bench?

sagegrouse
12-24-2015, 08:47 AM
Remember when Bones wore a seat belt on the bench?

Yes, I believe that occurred after the ACC decided that merely standing up was sufficient insubordination to merit a technical foul for the coach.

Bob Green
12-24-2015, 09:45 AM
My apologies for interrupting the trip down memory lane...

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2015/12/indianas-explosive-offense-to-challenge-duke-football-in-pinstripe-bowl

The Hoosiers’ high-powered offense scores 36.2 points per game—including 40 or more in its final three contests—and will ride late-season momentum into the showdown with the Blue Devils. Led by quarterback Nate Sudfeld, the Big Ten leader in passing yards per game with 289.5 and the program’s all-time leader with 58 passing touchdowns, the Indiana offense will look to launch the ball down the field early and often.

We had better figure out a way to pressure the quarterback or it could be a long afternoon. We need to blitz, and we need to be successful when we blitz. As much as UNC torched us, I really look at the Pittsburgh game as the example of our pass rush deficiency. The Pitt quarterback stood in the pocket and patiently waited for his receivers to break open. Indiana is reputed to have a strong OL and a talented QB so Defensive Coordinator Jim Knowles best be dialing up some heat somehow.

dukelifer
12-24-2015, 09:58 AM

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2015/12/indianas-explosive-offense-to-challenge-duke-football-in-pinstripe-bowl

We had better figure out a way to pressure the quarterback or it could be a long afternoon. We need to blitz, and we need to be successful when we blitz. As much as UNC torched us, I really look at the Pittsburgh game as the example of our pass rush deficiency. The Pitt quarterback stood in the pocket and patiently waited for his receivers to break open. Indiana is reputed to have a strong OL and a talented QB so Defensive Coordinator Jim Knowles best be dialing up some heat somehow.
Unfortunately this is exactly the type of team that gives Duke trouble. Take away Duke's best player and the job is much harder. Duke will need to outgun them. Hopefully Cut has a few bag of tricks. I agree that the pass rush needs to be on point but just don't think Duke has that in their game.

OldPhiKap
12-24-2015, 10:09 AM
@LauraKeeley tweeted:

Duke has sold out its allotment of Pinstripe Bowl tickets. 1,300 donated to military and first responders who will be in Duke's section

CameronBornAndBred
12-24-2015, 10:31 AM
@LauraKeeley tweeted:

Duke has sold out its allotment of Pinstripe Bowl tickets. 1,300 donated to military and first responders who will be in Duke's section
Did we sell out AND donate?

(Either way, it's pretty cool.)

OldPhiKap
12-24-2015, 10:41 AM
Did we sell out AND donate?

(Either way, it's pretty cool.)

Not wholly sure. We had an option to buy a ticket for a first responder, so I assume that we sold out our allotment by including the tickets for them in our section too.

Bob Green
12-24-2015, 10:48 AM
Duke will wear white helmets, blue jerseys and blue pants:

devildeac
12-24-2015, 11:26 AM
Yes, I believe that occurred after the ACC decided that merely standing up was sufficient insubordination to merit a technical foul for the coach.

Unless your name was d**n sm*th :mad: .

devildeac
12-24-2015, 11:29 AM
@LauraKeeley tweeted:

Any idea of total # of tix we were allotted? I'm thinking Duke sold 18-20K each for the Belk and Chikin Bowls and obviously far less for El Paso. We donated a ticket last year and this year. Great idea by the IDs to do that.

devildeac
12-24-2015, 11:31 AM
Duke will wear white helmets, blue jerseys and blue pants:

Nice. Very nice. I hope they're all XL or XXL size (or the big boy pants like Cut has said on more than one occasion).

jimsumner
12-24-2015, 11:39 AM
Upthread was a post about vinyl music. Anyone remember the original store of The Record Bar chain - that was in downtown Durham not too far from the Criterion Theater? It was run by the Bergdorf [I think] family.

I believe it was Barry Bergman. One of my best friends worked there.

I worked for 18 months or so at the Record and Tape Center, a Record Bar competitor about a block away from the Record Bar, in downtown Durham.

The Record Bar moved to Northgate when that mall opened and most of the Duke traffic went with it. The R & TC stayed downtown and died a quick death, as did many downtown Durham merchants upon the opening of Northgate.

I started at Duke in September 1968 and downtown Durham housed Sears, Belk's, J.C. Penny and all the major merchants. By the time I graduated, downtown Durham had begun a decline that continued for decades. Now, with the Bulls, DPAC and numerous upscale dining options. downtown Durham is a place to be.

Not sure what any of this has to do with the Pinstripe Bowl. But brings back memories.

budwom
12-24-2015, 12:02 PM

I worked for 18 months or so at the Record and Tape Center, a Record Bar competitor about a block away from the Record Bar, in downtown Durham.

The Record Bar moved to Northgate when that mall opened and most of the Duke traffic went with it. The R & TC stayed downtown and died a quick death, as did many downtown Durham merchants upon the opening of Northgate.

I started at Duke in September 1968 and downtown Durham housed Sears, Belk's, J.C. Penny and all the major merchants. By the time I graduated, downtown Durham had begun a decline that continued for decades. Now, with the Bulls, DPAC and numerous upscale dining options. downtown Durham is a place to be.

Not sure what any of this has to do with the Pinstripe Bowl. But brings back memories.

but it still had Dobbs House, a true pillar of the community...

oldnavy
12-24-2015, 12:02 PM

I remember the Record Bar in Northgate, I think that is where I bought my first 45, Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting, Elton John....

budwom
12-24-2015, 12:05 PM

We're going to have to control the ball a whole lot...and score probably 40 points. At the Pitt game you reference, I don't think I've ever seen a
team generate so little pass rush....our guys rarely even penetrated the line of scrimmage, just a broad, flat, unbroken line of pass protection. I see no cure for this.

jimsumner
12-24-2015, 01:18 PM
We're going to have to control the ball a whole lot...and score probably 40 points. At the Pitt game you reference, I don't think I've ever seen a
team generate so little pass rush...our guys rarely even penetrated the line of scrimmage, just a broad, flat, unbroken line of pass protection. I see no cure for this.

Duke really needs long possessions. A bunch of three-and-outs? Not good. The best way to slow down IU's offense is to keep them off the field.

Avvocato
12-24-2015, 02:26 PM
Duke really needs long possessions. A bunch of three-and-outs? Not good. The best way to slow down IU's offense is to keep them off the field.

Jim - How much pressure do you think Cut will put on trying to win this game? Obviously he wants to win the game, but do you think if Sirk struggles he will go to Boehme? Duke lost 4 out of 5, will be on national TV in a good spot, should be a good crowd and facing a tough offense with a weakened defense. The offense has to produce big time this game. We can't afford to miss open receivers on third down or miss wide open receivers down the field. While I won't compare this game to the Chick Filet Bowl against A&M, it's another spot for Duke to make a statement to recruits and the nation. Sirk has to deliver. If not, I think Cut has to be willing to give Parker some snaps. Hopefully Sirk plays well and the point is moot.

jimsumner
12-24-2015, 03:03 PM
I think Cut will place a high priority on winning the game.

Should Sirk struggle, I suspect playing Boehme and winning the game are not mutually exclusive.

CameronBornAndBred
12-24-2015, 03:20 PM
Not wholly sure. We had an option to buy a ticket for a first responder, so I assume that we sold out our allotment by including the tickets for them in our section too.
Given the season, that's so cool. Regardless of the season, that's so cool.

Bob Green
12-24-2015, 04:04 PM
We're going to have to control the ball a whole lot...and score probably 40 points.

I am a huge fan of running the ball so I hope we pound away on the ground as much as possible mixing in passes as necessary to keep the IU defense off balance. Operating out of a three back set is a look I favor.

OldPhiKap
12-25-2015, 08:29 AM
Any work on whether Jordan Howard is available for IU? Last I heard he was questionable.

Atldukie79
12-25-2015, 10:04 AM

"The Record Bar, The record Bar, that's where all the records are..."
I believe that sales "jingle" is seared into my mind...along with the main riff from Inna Gadda da Vida, which was my first album purchase at the Northgate Record Bar.

Stray Gator
12-25-2015, 12:58 PM
. . . I started at Duke in September 1968 and downtown Durham housed Sears, Belk's, J.C. Penny and all the major merchants. . . .

As I recall, the best store in downtown Durham then was Thalhimers, just a couple of blocks up from Five Points. The Record Bar was also on Main Street, closer to the bus station. Someone mentioned the Criterion Theater (a/k/a "The Crit"), which was an "art/nature lovers" film joint and (not surprisingly) a popular destination for small groups of freshman guys -- in those days, there were twice as many undergraduate men (all residing on West Campus) than women (all residing on East Campus) -- who would take the bus to East, then stop off on the way at Bat's for some spag or pizza and cold PBRs. (About the only places suitable for taking dates in the vicinity of East were The Ivy Room or Mayolas -- thankfully, the quantity and quality of dining options throughout Durham have improved exponentially.) By the time they reached the Crit, those guys would be getting pretty rowdy and raunchy, and as a result the running commentary from the audience during the films rivaled the best of MST3K. Good times . . . or so I'm told.

Avvocato
12-25-2015, 02:31 PM
I am a huge fan of running the ball so I hope we pound away on the ground as much as possible mixing in passes as necessary to keep the IU defense off balance. Operating out of a three back set is a look I favor.

This game plan hinges on whether duke can get the early lead or whether Indiana gets out of the gate early. If we fall behind early, it will be hard to stay with a run-first attack. I fear we won't be able to contain their offense enough to allow us to stay patient with the run.

budwom
12-25-2015, 04:12 PM
This game plan hinges on whether duke can get the early lead or whether Indiana gets out of the gate early. If we fall behind early, it will be hard to stay with a run-first attack. I fear we won't be able to contain their offense enough to allow us to stay patient with the run.

They may be a run first attack, but it's their passing (and our lack of a pass rush) that has me more worried.

ricks68
12-25-2015, 05:41 PM
As I recall, the best store in downtown Durham then was Thalhimers, just a couple of blocks up from Five Points. The Record Bar was also on Main Street, closer to the bus station. Someone mentioned the Criterion Theater (a/k/a "The Crit"), which was an "art/nature lovers" film joint and (not surprisingly) a popular destination for small groups of freshman guys -- in those days, there were twice as many undergraduate men (all residing on West Campus) than women (all residing on East Campus) -- who would take the bus to East, then stop off on the way at Bat's for some spag or pizza and cold PBRs. (About the only places suitable for taking dates in the vicinity of East were The Ivy Room or Mayolas -- thankfully, the quantity and quality of dining options throughout Durham have improved exponentially.) By the time they reached the Crit, those guys would be getting pretty rowdy and raunchy, and as a result the running commentary from the audience during the films rivaled the best of MST3K. Good times . . . or so I'm told.

I thought it was the place with the old classroom chairs at Five Points that had those great hot dogs. They were great.:)

ricks

ricks68
12-25-2015, 05:54 PM
Just checked an archived thread from 2008-9 and nailed down the name of the hot dog place------it was Amos and Andy. And yes, the chili on the dog was outstanding.:)

ricks

AustinDevil
12-25-2015, 10:26 PM
They may be a run first attack, but it's their passing (and our lack of a pass rush) that has me more worried.

I believe the quoted poster meant it will be hard for Duke to stick to a run-first game plan if we fall behind early, not that Indiana has a run-first offense that we will need to hang, or stay, with.

Bob Green
12-26-2015, 07:16 AM
Today's front page Pinstripe Bowl article brings up a very good point, Duke has a big bowl game experience advantage over Indiana:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2015/12/26/10666522/duke-indiana-to-tangle-in-pinstripe-bowl-saturday

...but there is something else significant here that can't be overestimated,...it's Duke's experience in bowl games.

This is four bowl games in a row for Duke, while Indiana is in their first bowl game since 2007.

Bob Green
12-26-2015, 08:15 AM
Keys to the game:

1. Achieving balance on offense - we must successfully run and pass the ball.
2. Special teams play - we need to win the field position battle.
3. Turnovers - in a game between two teams who struggle defensively, the team that forces a turnover or two will gain a big advantage.

A little over seven hours to go, I'm excited.

Useless (but fun) prediction: Duke 41, Indiana 37.

devildeac
12-26-2015, 08:28 AM
Today's front page Pinstripe Bowl article brings up a very good point, Duke has a big bowl game experience advantage over Indiana:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2015/12/26/10666522/duke-indiana-to-tangle-in-pinstripe-bowl-saturday

This is four bowl games in a row for Duke, while Indiana is in their first bowl game since 2007.

And we figured out ways to lose each of them:rolleyes: .

Time to start a new "tradition" and put this one in the W column.

Representative of the devildeac family should be arriving at their hotel shortly and perhaps sneaking in a brief nap before heading into Manhattan and then up to da Bronx.

Indoor66
12-26-2015, 08:41 AM
By the time they reached the Crit, those guys would be getting pretty rowdy and raunchy, and as a result the running commentary from the audience during the films rivaled the best of MST3K. Good times . . . or so I'm told.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....:D:rolleyes ::cool:

Avvocato
12-26-2015, 09:39 AM
I believe the quoted poster meant it will be hard for Duke to stick to a run-first game plan if we fall behind early, not that Indiana has a run-first offense that we will need to hang, or stay, with.

Yes. Thanks for clarifying. Excited for game day. Hopefully the weather holds up. Current forecast is for cloudy around 50 degrees, with possible showers later in the evening (knock on wood). Earlier forecasts were for rain this afternoon. Looking forward to being there. Reports are that Indiana's starting RB is a game time decision.

OldPhiKap
12-26-2015, 09:46 AM
Game day! Woot!!!

Avvocato
12-26-2015, 09:51 AM
Keys to the game:

1. Achieving balance on offense - we must successfully run and pass the ball.
2. Special teams play - we need to win the field position battle.
3. Turnovers - in a game between two teams who struggle defensively, the team that forces a turnover or two will gain a big advantage.

A little over seven hours to go, I'm excited.

Useless (but fun) prediction: Duke 41, Indiana 37.

I think the above is spot on. However, I think of it more simply. If we have good Sirk, we should be okay. If we have bad Sirk, we are in trouble. Indiana, barring major turnovers, should score a lot. We need to be able to as well. One good thing, if you can call it that, is Cut and Scottie coached around a horrible Boone last year against Arizona St. Hopefully they won't have to go there today. But as always, in my eye, Sirk is the key. If we get bad Sirk, I hope Cut isn't afraid to go to Boehme, though I don't think he will. With that said, I'm hopeful Sirk with a month to prepare will be on. But enough of my rambling. Let's get it on.

Bob Green
12-26-2015, 10:56 AM
https://twitter.com/Duke_FB/status/680765907669508096

Humphreys will wear Kelby Brown's number in today's Pinstripe Bowl.

devildeac
12-26-2015, 10:58 AM

I hope he wears his "destructive" attitude, too.

peloton
12-26-2015, 11:44 AM
Game day indeed!! I have to echo the sentiment even if you did beat me to the punch, OldPhiKap. To quote Marvin Gaye and Avvocato (but for different reasons :)), "let's get it on". It's time for the Duke football program to take the next logical step, and that's to win a bowl game. This is a very winnable game (for both teams)...as to who wants it more we'll have to wait and see - we'll know soon though. I have a hunch that the defense and special teams are really going to make some noise today. The question is will our offense score enough points to win? With 2 pretty good quarterbacks, etc. I like our chances. This is going to be a fun game and it could be a wild ride. I'd love to see the DeVon Edwards Express make a trip or two today - that would certainly help. But I'm tired of reading (and writing) about this game...let's go Duke!!

peloton
12-26-2015, 12:11 PM

Bob, thanks for posting - this is a pretty impressive tweet by Ben (sums up in a nutshell how important Kelby has been in regard to the resurgence of Duke football). Let's hope that Ben Humphries and Co. can summon the heart and determination that guys like Kelby, Jeremy, and Blair have displayed. A win today would be great on so many levels - not the least of which would be that it could be seen as a symbolic win for all the Blue Devil football players since 1961 who've played in those 6 bowl games.

One last note on the game - I look for both T.J. Rahming and Anthony Nash to have big games today. Let's do this.

OldPhiKap
12-26-2015, 12:18 PM

Come by and introduce yourself if in the area. Let's Go DUKE!!!

brevity
12-26-2015, 02:54 PM
Duke Football (https://twitter.com/Duke_FB/status/680835489901850624) ‏@Duke_FB

Soon -

Time: 3:30

TV: ABC

@ESPN3: http://es.pn/1XW1XJ5

@IMGAudio: http://goduke.us/1PyflTU

Live stats: http://goduke.us/1P8KPg0

11:40 AM - 26 Dec 2015

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-26-2015, 03:19 PM
I don't know if Duke needs more motivation, but Don Altman, the QB the last time Duke won a bowl game (1961!) fell and shattered his artificial hip last week. I'm sure that he would appreciate a serious pick me up right about now.

Go Duke!

subzero02
12-26-2015, 04:09 PM
Screwed by the replay booth yet again

arnie
12-26-2015, 04:30 PM
I think the above is spot on. However, I think of it more simply. If we have good Sirk, we should be okay. If we have bad Sirk, we are in trouble. Indiana, barring major turnovers, should score a lot. We need to be able to as well. One good thing, if you can call it that, is Cut and Scottie coached around a horrible Boone last year against Arizona St. Hopefully they won't have to go there today. But as always, in my eye, Sirk is the key. If we get bad Sirk, I hope Cut isn't afraid to go to Boehme, though I don't think he will. With that said, I'm hopeful Sirk with a month to prepare will be on. But enough of my rambling. Let's get it on.

Maybe we can win with a "bad Sirk" after all. But would be great to see him connect on a bomb.

PDDuke85
12-26-2015, 04:45 PM
Maybe we can win with a "bad Sirk" after all. But would be great to see him connect on a bomb.
Looking for a drive that is led by a quarterback with confidence after the Indiana score.

subzero02
12-26-2015, 04:55 PM
Khan!!!!!!!

martydoesntfoul
12-26-2015, 04:56 PM
Looking for a drive that is led by a quarterback with confidence after the Indiana score.

Amen. Our offense is stale and unimaginative. With a month to prepare against the worst pass defense in FBS? I don't get it.

arnie
12-26-2015, 04:57 PM

Remember, Indiana's pass D is atrocious, and we're not taking any advantage. Cut's loyalty may lead to another bowl loss.

martydoesntfoul
12-26-2015, 04:57 PM
Well if you can't throw it!

arnie
12-26-2015, 04:58 PM
Remember, Indiana's pass D is atrocious, and we're not taking any advantage. Cut's loyalty may lead to another bowl loss.

Of course I typed that as Sirk ran for TD!

Bob Green
12-26-2015, 05:09 PM
We had 231 yards rushing in 1st half. Keep it up!

6th Man
12-26-2015, 05:10 PM
I hope someone can do some serious coaching of the secondary in the 2nd half. Also someone please tell Sirk to stop throwing off his back foot!

6th Man
12-26-2015, 05:13 PM
We had 231 yards rushing in 1st half. Keep it up!

Definitely those 2 huge runs are why we're in it so far. We are going to need it to continue because we can't complete a deep pass.

fuse
12-26-2015, 05:17 PM
Let's Go Duke!
Win the second half and come home with a bowl win!

Sixthman
12-26-2015, 05:28 PM
We have been killed by the third quarter in each of our losses (except for UNC, where is was already over). I think if we can win the third here we can pull away.

martydoesntfoul
12-26-2015, 05:31 PM
I say first team to 45 wins.

dudog84
12-26-2015, 05:37 PM
Please please please put in Boehme. I don't think I've ever seen Sirk complete a pass over 20 yards.

PDDuke85
12-26-2015, 05:38 PM
I say first team to 45 wins.

Easier to get there in increments of 7 rather than 3

Sixthman
12-26-2015, 05:39 PM
3 won't get it done

AustinDevil
12-26-2015, 05:43 PM

And as you no doubt intend to allude, we had 7 on the last possession if a reasonably competent high school QB just lofts that ball in!

luvdahops
12-26-2015, 05:47 PM
Devon Edwards is having a very rough night. Has been beaten badly at least 4 times by my count.

martydoesntfoul
12-26-2015, 05:49 PM

They're probably going to score on every second half possession. Can we hold them to a FG at some point? I don't know. But you're right: FGs will be pretty useless for us.

PDDuke85
12-26-2015, 05:52 PM
A break. Time to do something with it

PDDuke85
12-26-2015, 05:54 PM
I'm liking the Thomas Sirk Red Zone short yardage package

arnie
12-26-2015, 05:54 PM
They're probably going to score on every second half possession. Can we hold them to a FG at some point? I don't know. But you're right: FGs will be pretty useless for us.

Great break. Jump pass???

martydoesntfoul
12-26-2015, 06:07 PM
Great break. Jump pass???
Haven't seen that in a while. But I'm still blown away by our inept passing game.

PDDuke85
12-26-2015, 06:07 PM
Devon Edwards is having a very rough night. Has been beaten badly at least 4 times by my count.

The roughness continues

AustinDevil
12-26-2015, 06:12 PM
I'm liking the Thomas Sirk Red Zone short yardage package

The one long run was great too. How do you like the rest of it?

martydoesntfoul
12-26-2015, 06:13 PM
Apparently helmet-to-helmet spearing is now legal. Unfortunately so is making the worst pass defense in college football look like a collection of all-stars.

PDDuke85
The one long run was great too. How do you like the rest of it?

Luke warm

arnie
Haven't seen that in a while. But I'm still blown away by our inept passing game.

Yea, I guess Cut's gonna give this one up. Doubt he puts in Parker or even Monday.

martydoesntfoul
12-26-2015, 06:18 PM
We HAVE to score a TD on this drive.

AustinDevil
12-26-2015, 06:20 PM
Yea, I guess Cut's gonna give this one up. Doubt he puts in Parker or even Monday.

+1 on that sentiment.

AustinDevil
12-26-2015, 06:21 PM
That 3rd and 10 drop was not on Sirk. I still think he shouldn't be on the field.

kcduke75
12-26-2015, 06:22 PM
Hard to win with stone hands. Sheesh

fuse
I am fairly certain Indiana has false started on the OLine almost every play.

Our defense needs to step up.

martydoesntfoul
Not a good time to start dropping passes. We have been gifted so many breaks in this game, but once again the O goes AWOL in the second half. smh

martydoesntfoul
12-26-2015, 06:24 PM
I am fairly certain Indiana has false started on the OLine almost every play.

Our defense needs to step up. multiple times

arnie
12-26-2015, 06:31 PM
multiple times

Hey, we've been given many unearned breaks. Indy has dominated us since 2nd quarter, and we just tied the game as I'm typing. Need to stiffen up on D

rsvman
12-26-2015, 06:31 PM
sweet run back!

Sixthman
12-26-2015, 06:33 PM
Okay, defense needs to step up!

Sixthman
12-26-2015, 06:38 PM
Best defensive series of second half. Great field position. Great opportunity.

Sixthman
12-26-2015, 06:41 PM
That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen in the history of Duke football. Horrible play call, horrible execution. Most importantly, a lack if game understanding. We had field position and momentum. A true blunder.

kcduke75
12-26-2015, 06:43 PM
This coverage is awful

Sixthman
12-26-2015, 06:44 PM
Defense! The defense rises up and gets the ball back. Run the trick play now. They will not be expecting it!

martydoesntfoul
And yet one more chance...

arnie
That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen in the history of Duke football. Horrible play call, horrible execution. Most importantly, a lack if game understanding. We had field position and momentum. A true blunder.

Bailed out by another Indy screwup. Duncan hurt- Sirk will run the ball now

WakeDevil
12-26-2015, 06:45 PM

You are too nice.

Sixthman
12-26-2015, 06:46 PM
I think sirk had the first down on third. This coverage is horrible. No replay to see it.

AtlBluRew
12-26-2015, 06:47 PM
That cost us a chance at the only bowl win in my entire lifetime (54 yrs).

Wander
12-26-2015, 06:47 PM
That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen in the history of Duke football.

...Until 5 minutes later, going for it instead of kicking a field goal.

kcduke75
12-26-2015, 06:49 PM
I asked for a pass rush for Christmas. I did not get it

subzero02
12-26-2015, 06:50 PM
Wow... wide open and a terrible pass rush... the DB fell down.

martydoesntfoul
0 for 4 on trick plays if you include 4th and 1 -- how do we not call timeout there with Indiana crowding the box? You can't make up our performance in the 4th quarter of bowl games.

arnie

Down 7 against a horrible pass defense until today. 4 QB runs and 9 yards coming up?

AtlBluRew

Yep.

martydoesntfoul
12-26-2015, 06:52 PM
I asked for a pass rush for Christmas. I did not get it
And I for a 20 yard pass completion...

kcduke75
12-26-2015, 06:56 PM
Stone hands

arnie
12-26-2015, 06:58 PM
Yep.

Announcer correct - go for 2if we score

kcduke75
12-26-2015, 06:59 PM
Despite it all, this certainly has turned out to be fun

PDDuke85
Announcer correct - go for 2if we score

Score first

Sixthman
Run it!!!!

Sixthman
12-26-2015, 07:01 PM
Like that! Touchdown!

AustinDevil
12-26-2015, 07:01 PM

A 51-41 win, which we should've easily achieved, would've been fun. Being tied with 41 seconds left and IU receiving the ball is not super fun.

luvdahops
12-26-2015, 07:04 PM

Agreed!

Sixthman
12-26-2015, 07:06 PM
I would blitz on this play with ten seconds left.

PDDuke85
12-26-2015, 07:06 PM
Agreed!

My nitro is working

kcduke75
12-26-2015, 07:07 PM
How about exciting? Can we all agree on that?

kcduke75
12-26-2015, 07:09 PM
Cool

PDDuke85
12-26-2015, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE=kcduke75;847171]How about exciting? Can we all agree on that?
Agreed

martydoesntfoul
12-26-2015, 07:11 PM
How about exciting? Can we all agree on that? OK :-)

rsvman
12-26-2015, 07:16 PM
Sirk injury. great timing.

dukelifer
12-26-2015, 07:16 PM
OK :-)

Not fun now. Tough to lose your quarterback

Sixthman
12-26-2015, 07:18 PM
Can the defense win this?

kcduke75
12-26-2015, 07:19 PM
I am still not used to Duke having this type of closing speed on the defense. Coach cut really has us going in the right direction. And we need to start that with a win tonight

kcduke75
12-26-2015, 07:21 PM
Duke Wins! Duke wins! Duke wins! Duke wins!

fuse
12-26-2015, 07:22 PM
Holy snikes! We won!?!?!!!!!!!!!!

Duke95
Holy crap, we win!!!!!!

PDDuke85
I lived to see it!!!

AtlBluRew
12-26-2015, 07:23 PM
That cost us a chance at the only bowl win in my entire lifetime (54 yrs).

I very happily stand corrected! Soup's on!

subzero02
12-26-2015, 07:24 PM
Take that tar heels!!

Sixthman
12-26-2015, 07:25 PM
Defense wins championships😀

uh_no
12-26-2015, 07:27 PM
Well that was nice

heyman25
12-26-2015, 07:28 PM
What a way to not give up and get a big fat win. Great feeling for this Duke alum. We broke on through to the other side. I was not too happy after Indiana scored, but we some how some whey got it done