Bob Green
12-06-2015, 03:23 PM
Rose Bowl: Stanford vs. Iowa
Sugar Bowl: Oklahoma State vs. Ole Miss
Fiesta Bowl: Notre Dame vs. Ohio State
Peach Bowl: Houston vs. Florida State

CameronBornAndBred
12-06-2015, 04:01 PM
SB Nation has us to Pintstripe (opponent not announced yet)
NC State to Belk, VT to Independence, Miami to Sun, Pitt to Military, UNC to Russell.

Still announcements coming in, so lots of matchups unposted.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/12/6/9856606/ncaa-football-bowls-schedule-2015-2016-college-football-playoff

Bob Green
12-06-2015, 04:10 PM
Russell Athletic Bowl: UNC vs. Baylor

Independence Bowl: Virginia Tech vs. Tulsa

Military Bowl: Pittsburgh vs. Navy

nyesq83
12-06-2015, 04:52 PM
and others for your posts this season.

Devilsforlife
12-06-2015, 04:53 PM
Surprised VT didn't get Belk, as was widely expected.

Bob Green
12-06-2015, 05:03 PM
Sun Bowl: Miami vs. Washington State

Belk Bowl: N.C. State vs. Miss State

Music City Bowl: Louisville vs. Texas A&M

Olympic Fan
12-06-2015, 06:24 PM
UNC MAY have caught a break, depending on whether Baylor QB Jarret Stidham is able to play or not. Reportedly, the boot on his injured foot comes off Dec. 12 -- that gives him just over two week to get back in game shape. Backup Seth Russell is definitely out for the bowl. Chris Johnson suffered a concussion against Texas .. I assume he'll be back. But once he was hurt early against Texas, the Baylor offense died -- they simply don't have another QB.

With Stidham, they are a top five team and might have been in the playoffs. If he plays at near full speed against the Heels, I like Baylor easy. If he can't go or is hobbled, then the Cheats have a great chance to luck into an impressive bowl win.

Pitt has a tough bowl task -- at least they have a month to get ready for Navy's option. But they're playing an awfully good Navy team. I'll bet that some Pitt people are POed that they got squeezed out of a Tier One Bowl and have to face such a tough opponent on their home field.

The one surprise for me was that Va Tech got squeezed out of the Belk Bowl -- I know the bowl wanted to pick them. Mot sure what happened behind the scenes. Still, the Hokies have got a chance against Tulsa -- no way they beat Mississippi State. NC State got the local bowl, but they also got the tougher opponent.

PS Congrats, Bob. I know you got the bowl you wanted for Duke. Saturday at 3:30 on ABC ... pretty good exposure and no basketball conflicts at all (well, Louisville-Kentucky basketball at noon, but tat should be over before we kick off).

brevity
12-06-2015, 10:32 PM
Lifted from ESPN (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/page/bowlschedule2015/2015-2016-college-football-playoff-schedule-bowl-schedule) and #ACCFootball (https://twitter.com/theACCfootball/status/673668319178842113) (times are Eastern):

December 26

Hyundai Sun Bowl
Miami vs. Washington State
El Paso, Texas | Sun Bowl
2 p.m. on CBS

New Era Pinstripe Bowl
Indiana vs. Duke
Bronx, New York | Yankee Stadium
3:30 p.m. on ABC

Camping World Independence Bowl
Tulsa vs. Virginia Tech
Shreveport, Louisiana | Independence Stadium
5:45 p.m. on ESPN

December 28

Military Bowl presented By Northrop Grumman
Pittsburgh vs. Navy
Annapolis, Maryland | Jack Stephens Field at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium
2:30 p.m. on ESPN

December 29

Russell Athletic Bowl
[REDACTED] vs. Baylor
Orlando | Orlando Citrus Bowl
5:30 p.m. on ESPN

December 30

Belk Bowl
NC State vs. Mississippi State
Charlotte, N.C. | Bank of America Stadium
3:30 p.m. on ESPN

Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl
Texas A&M vs. Louisville
Nashville | LP Field
7 p.m. on ESPN

December 31

Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl
Houston vs. Florida State
Atlanta | Georgia Dome
Noon on ESPN

College Football Playoff Semifinal at the Capital One Orange Bowl
Oklahoma vs. Clemson
Miami Gardens, Florida | Sun Life Stadium

BD80
12-06-2015, 11:03 PM
Russell Athletic Bowl: UNC vs. Baylor

It's all about athletics. Nothing to do with academics.

CameronBornAndBred
12-07-2015, 06:03 PM
December 29

Russell Athletic Bowl
[REDACTED] vs. Baylor
5:30 p.m. on ESPN

Tried unsuccessfully to give you redaction sporks.
Why is a big time bowl starting so early? Baylor fans can't be thrilled, it's a 4:30 KO for them on a work day.

Atlanta Duke
12-08-2015, 11:55 AM
It's all about athletics. Nothing to do with academics.

Graduation success rate of 62% for UNC players and 74% for Baylor players

Keeping Score When It Counts:
Assessing the Academic Records of the 2015 Bowl-bound College Football Teams

Stanford, Northwestern, Duke, and Notre Dame would have played for the National Championship if there was a college football playoff based on Graduation Success Rates among bowl teams.

http://nebula.wsimg.com/f644dbcde02eeb785f7dc4a848fb5749?AccessKeyId=DAC3A 56D8FB782449D2A&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

devildeac
12-08-2015, 12:18 PM

Stanford, Northwestern, Duke, and Notre Dame would have played for the National Championship if there was a college football playoff based on Graduation Success Rates among bowl teams.

http://nebula.wsimg.com/f644dbcde02eeb785f7dc4a848fb5749?AccessKeyId=DAC3A 56D8FB782449D2A&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

I'd hope they'd pair us with ND in the semi-finals as we'd be favored, 94-93. We'd be 'dogs against Northwestern and Stanford as they check in at 97 and 99, respectively, if I read those small-sized numbers correctly:o.

Atlanta Duke
12-08-2015, 12:38 PM
I'd hope they'd pair us with ND in the semi-finals as we'd be favored, 94-93. We'd be 'dogs against Northwestern and Stanford as they check in at 97 and 99, respectively, if I read those small-sized numbers correctly:o.

You can hit automatic zoom to increase the micro font on the graduation success rate grid:)

Lowest combined GSR bowl appears to be Sugar Bowl at 114 (Ole Miss - 60% and OK State - 54%)

Highest combined GSR bowls look to be Fiesta (Notre Dame - 93%/Ohio State - 81%) and Foster Farms (Nebraska - 85%/UCLA -89%) at 174

devildeac
12-08-2015, 12:57 PM
You can hit automatic zoom to increase the micro font on the graduation success rate grid:)

Lowest combined GSR bowl appears to be Sugar Bowl at 114 (Ole Miss - 60% and OK State - 54%)

Highest combined GSR bowls look to be Fiesta (Notre Dame - 93%/Ohio State - 81%) and Foster Farms (Nebraska - 85%/UCLA -89%) at 174

Addressing one of the upthread posts with a higher payout stated for our bowl vs the Military Bowl, how much does it really matter with the individual schools considering the (ASSumed) ACC revenue sharing?

Olympic Fan
12-08-2015, 01:16 PM

in this theme, it was just announced that Duke won the AFCA Academic Achievement Award for the 14th time -- far more than any other school:

Duke Earns Record 14th Academic Achievement Award

December 8, 2015

DURHAM, N.C. - Duke University will share the American Football Coaches Association’s (AFCA) 2015 Academic Achievement Award to secure the program’s nation’s-best 14th such honor. Duke registered a 100 percent graduation rate for members of its freshman football student-athlete class of 2008 to share the accolade with Vanderbilt.

The award will be presented at the President’s Kickoff Luncheon on Monday, January 11 at the 2016 AFCA Convention in San Antonio, Texas.

Duke also won or shared the award in 1981, 1984, 1987, 1990, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2003, 2005 and 2014.

This year’s award marks the eighth time the NCAA’s Graduation Success Rate (GSR) formula has been used to select the winner. From 1981 to 2007, the award was presented based on a formula used by the College Football Association and AFCA. Since 2008, the criteria for the AFCA’s Academic Achievement Award is based on the highest NCAA GSR, at least 15 students in the GSR cohort, and a Federal Graduation Rate of 75 percent or better.

Sixty-three other institutions will be recognized for graduating 75 percent or more of their football student-athletes. Thirteen of those institutions — Arkansas State, Boise State, Bowling Green State, Central Florida, Missouri, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Oregon State, Rice, South Carolina, Stanford, Virginia Tech and Western Kentucky — achieved a rate of 90 percent or better. The remaining 50 institutions are: Air Force, Alabama, Alabama-Birmingham, Baylor, Boston College, Clemson, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Florida Atlantic, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Hawaii, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Kent State, Louisiana-Lafayette, LSU, Marshall, Maryland, Miami (Fla.), Miami (Ohio), Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi State, Navy, Nebraska, North Carolina State, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Pittsburgh, Purdue, Rutgers, SMU, South Florida, Syracuse, TCU, Temple, Texas-San Antonio, Texas Tech, Troy, Tulane, Tulsa, UCLA, Utah, Utah State, Wake Forest, Washington State and Wisconsin.

The Academic Achievement Award was established by the College Football Association (CFA) in 1981. The award recognized the CFA-member Football Bowl Subdivision institution with the highest graduation rate among members of its football team. When the CFA disbanded in 1997, the AFCA stepped in to present the award and conduct a graduation rate survey that encompassed all members of the FBS.

The GSR is based on a six-year graduation window for student-athletes which is a change from the five-year window used by the CFA and AFCA. The GSR was developed by the NCAA as part of its academic reform initiative to more accurately assess the academic success of student-athletes. The GSR holds institutions accountable for transfer students, unlike the federal graduation rate. The GSR also accounts for midyear enrollees.

Under GSR calculation, institutions are not penalized for outgoing transfer students who leave in good academic standing. These outgoing transfers are passed to the receiving institution’s GSR cohort. By counting incoming transfer students and midyear enrollees, the GSR increases the total number of student-athletes tracked for graduation by more than 37 percent.

Indoor66
12-08-2015, 01:25 PM
You (or someone) must have made an error. Either that or I misread the article. Why was unCheat not on the list. There must be a mistake. :(

brevity
12-17-2015, 11:29 AM
Reviving this thread to point out that bowl season starts this weekend. You can find the full bowl schedule here (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/page/bowlschedule2015/2015-16-college-football-playoff-bowl-schedule). No ACC action yet, but there are 6 games Saturday, 1 game Monday, 2 games Tuesday, 2 games Wednesday, and 2 games Thursday (which is Christmas Eve).

All 13 of these bowl games are televised on ESPN or ABC, except for the one bowl that should have been on ESPN:

Saturday, December 19

Cure Bowl
San Jose State vs. Georgia State
7 p.m. on CBSSN

Come on, ESPN. You have a college football analyst named Robert Smith and you can't cover the Cure Bowl?

Devilsforlife
12-29-2015, 09:49 PM
Cheaters smacked by Baylor, 49-38. Gave up over 600 yards rushing. Baylor was without their top two quarterbacks, as well as the top RB and WR.

We play Baylor in 2017 and 2018... Not a matchup I like. We should be playing Power Five foes around Indiana's level, IMO. With that said, go and surprise me in two years, Devils!

norduck
12-29-2015, 10:06 PM
Cheaters smacked by Baylor, 49-38. Gave up over 600 yards rushing. Baylor was without their top two quarterbacks, as well as the top RB and WR.

We play Baylor in 2017 and 2018... Not a matchup I like. We should be playing Power Five foes around Indiana's level, IMO. With that said, go and surprise me in two years, Devils!

Wonder if the fisherman attended?

Newton_14
12-29-2015, 10:55 PM

For those that did not get the pleasure of watching this game, it was pure scintillating! In addition to Baylor running it down their throats all game long, Ryan Switzer got absolutely drilled on a pass play. Hardest hit I have seen all season long by far. Knocked his mouthpiece out, bloodied his lip, spun his helmet around, and the hit was legal. It was shoulder to shoulder. I honestly don't know how he got up. He had beat the DB, and the pass was on the money right at the goal line, but the safety absolutely laid him out. He caught the pass initially but the hit sent the ball flying out. I was splitting time between the tv in the living room and the radio in the garage while working on a golf cart project for the kids. Saw the hit live and then went to the garage and the unc radio crew was screaming for targeting. They reviewed the play for targeting but saw it was a shoulder to shoulder hit and said no foul. Very worth the time to Google it!

devildeac
12-30-2015, 09:03 AM

I glanced at the stats and articles about this game in the Raleigh N&O this am and think the cheaters gave up 645 yards rushing, the most in their history, the most in that bowl's history and, if I saw/read correctly through my caffeine-naive eyes this am, the most yards rushing in any bowl history. And they weren't expecting Baylor to run their offense that way and be able to gain huge, repeated acres of real estate in that fashion. Boo-freaking-hoo.

wilson
12-30-2015, 09:08 AM
For those that did not get the pleasure of watching this game, it was pure scintillating! In addition to Baylor running it down their throats all game long, Ryan Switzer got absolutely drilled on a pass play. Hardest hit I have seen all season long by far. Knocked his mouthpiece out, bloodied his lip, spun his helmet around, and the hit was legal. It was shoulder to shoulder. I honestly don't know how he got up. He had beat the DB, and the pass was on the money right at the goal line, but the safety absolutely laid him out. He caught the pass initially but the hit sent the ball flying out. I was splitting time between the tv in the living room and the radio in the garage while working on a golf cart project for the kids. Saw the hit live and then went to the garage and the unc radio crew was screaming for targeting. They reviewed the play for targeting but saw it was a shoulder to shoulder hit and said no foul. Very worth the time to Google it!Here's a Vine of the hit:
https://vine.co/v/iqgwe3LzZrX
Honestly doesn't even look especially vicious here; just a good hard hit. Definitely not targeting by my understanding of the rule.

CameronBornAndBred
12-30-2015, 09:17 AM
Two thoughts...2017 is two years away, and I WANT us playing the best competition we can. I don't want to play down to lesser teams. We've unfortunately done that too often in the past few years, and while it equals wins, it doesn't equal quality wins. We'll have better talent (especially in 2017 when this year's class are no longer redshirts), so let's put that talent to good use and be a team that people fear playing. That won't happen unless we face stiffer competition and come away victorious. (Or with valuable learning experiences, either works for me.)

Watching the Heels get run out of the stadium last night was lots of fun. Made me jealous and aggravated that we couldn't figure out a way to at least stay competitive in our game with them. Oh well, next year. :)

mbird30
12-30-2015, 09:18 AM
He had beat the DB, and the pass was on the money right at the goal line, but the safety absolutely laid him out. He caught the pass initially but the hit sent the ball flying out. I was splitting time between the tv in the living room and the radio in the garage while working on a golf cart project for the kids. Saw the hit live and then went to the garage and the unc radio crew was screaming for targeting. They reviewed the play for targeting but saw it was a shoulder to shoulder hit and said no foul. Very worth the time to Google it!

He didn't actually beat the DB because the CB was playing a flat zone (underneath), but M. Williams made the mistake of throwing him the ball with a safety coming down on Switzer, and he lobbed it so the receiver had no chance to get out of the way. Essentially Williams showed why NFL teams don't like him and Switzer got what he had coming (Mr. I'm gonna win the Heisman)

CameronBornAndBred
12-30-2015, 09:20 AM
Here's a Vine of the hit:
https://vine.co/v/iqgwe3LzZrX
Honestly doesn't even look especially vicious here; just a good hard hit. Definitely not targeting by my understanding of the rule.
When your helmet is knocked off and you wake up in next Tuesday with a bloodied lip, that's a hell of a hit. I understand why targeting was assumed, but was also really pleased that the refs picked up the flag and rewarded a great defensive play.

Bob Green
12-30-2015, 09:59 AM

Is there a follow up vine? The next few seconds is where Switzer stands up with his lip split open and blood dripping out of his mouth.

hudlow
12-30-2015, 10:00 AM
Did I hear, going into halftime, one of the announcers say that *NC's defensive plan was to let Baylor run until they got tired....?:)

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-30-2015, 10:10 AM
Did I hear, going into halftime, one of the announcers say that *NC's defensive plan was to let Baylor run until they got tired...?:)
Yes, you did hear that. They also said UNC will be even better next year, likely to be vying for the championship, on the same level as FSU and Clemson.

The announcers were not as knowledgeable of the teams and their histories as they should have been. They minimized the academic scandal at Carolina as if it were a long ago historical incident unrelated to any current employees or players.

DukieInKansas
12-30-2015, 10:28 AM
Did I hear, going into halftime, one of the announcers say that *NC's defensive plan was to let Baylor run until they got tired...?:)

Reading this, knowing the outcome, made me chuckle.

CameronBornAndBred
12-30-2015, 10:55 AM
Yes, you did hear that. They also said UNC will be even better next year, likely to be vying for the championship, on the same level as FSU and Clemson.

The announcers were not as knowledgeable of the teams and their histories as they should have been. They minimized the academic scandal at Carolina as if it were a long ago historical incident unrelated to any current employees or players.

All the more reason for the heels to keep uncovering "new" information. :mad:

Reilly
12-30-2015, 12:40 PM
I glanced at the stats and articles about this game in the Raleigh N&O this am and think the cheaters gave up 645 yards rushing, the most in their history, the most in that bowl's history and, if I saw/read correctly through my caffeine-naive eyes this am, the most yards rushing in any bowl history. And they weren't expecting Baylor to run their offense that way and be able to gain huge, repeated acres of real estate in that fashion. Boo-freaking-hoo.

Go big or go home. Carolina takes the same approach to cheating.

Indoor66
12-30-2015, 12:47 PM
Go big or go home. Carolina takes the same approach to cheating.

You got that right. Their history is to CHEAT and then go home.

sagegrouse
12-30-2015, 06:49 PM
ACC not having a very good bowl season. There are wins by Duke and VPI; there are losses by Pitt, UNC, and Miami -- with NC State trailing badly.

davekay1971
12-30-2015, 07:49 PM
ACC not having a very good bowl season. There are wins by Duke and VPI; there are losses by Pitt, UNC, and Miami -- with NC State trailing badly.

I wasn't aware that NC State played today. I saw Mississippi State play...very well. I wasn't sure who they played against, but it certainly didn't look like a major conference team. Evidently NC State wasn't aware they were playing today either.

75Crazie
12-30-2015, 10:16 PM
To take a contrarian view, that pleases me enormously (although I was hoping that State would do better). The ACC sold its soul to become a football league, in the process ruining its basketball identity. It is poetic to me that the league continues to underwhelm in football.

gurufrisbee
12-30-2015, 10:30 PM

Florida State has a really nice match up.

And really Clemson can make it all good with two wins ("all" now that Duke has won).

Olympic Fan
12-31-2015, 12:58 AM
Okay, the ACC is 3-4 in bowl games after Louisville's narrow victory over Texas A&M tonight.

Winners: Duke, Virginia Tech, Louisville

Losers: Miami, Pitt, N.C. State and UNCheat.

The ACC is 1-0 vs. the Big Ten, 1-1 against the SEC, 0-1 vs. the Pac 12 and 0-1 vs. the Big 12 -- so 2-3 vs. the Power 5.

The ACC can still finish with a winning bowl record if Florida State beats Houston in the Peach Bowl today and Clemson wins the national championship. That would make the ACC 6-4. If FSU wins and Clemson loses in the finals, we get a 5-5 split. Or if FSU loses and Clemson wins the title, it's also 5-5.

The bowl results have helped Duke's status in one small way -- all the eight win regular season teams lost in bowls. That means that at 8-5, Duke is tied with Miami, Pitt and Louisville at 8-5 -- and since we all know that Duke is really 9-4, only Clemson, FSU and the Cheats ended up with better records this season.

For the record, the ACC was 4-7 in bowls last year, 5-6 in 2013, 4-2 in 2012, 2-6 in 2011, and 5-4 in 2010.

jv001
12-31-2015, 09:02 AM
Okay, the ACC is 3-4 in bowl games after Louisville's narrow victory over Texas A&M tonight.

Winners: Duke, Virginia Tech, Louisville

Losers: Miami, Pitt, N.C. State and UNCheat.

The ACC is 1-0 vs. the Big Ten, 1-1 against the SEC, 0-1 vs. the Pac 12 and 0-1 vs. the Big 12 -- so 2-3 vs. the Power 5.

The ACC can still finish with a winning bowl record if Florida State beats Houston in the Peach Bowl today and Clemson wins the national championship. That would make the ACC 6-4. If FSU wins and Clemson loses in the finals, we get a 5-5 split. Or if FSU loses and Clemson wins the title, it's also 5-5.

The bowl results have helped Duke's status in one small way -- all the eight win regular season teams lost in bowls. That means that at 8-5, Duke is tied with Miami, Pitt and Louisville at 8-5 -- and since we all know that Duke is really 9-4, only Clemson, FSU and the Cheats ended up with better records this season.

For the record, the ACC was 4-7 in bowls last year, 5-6 in 2013, 4-2 in 2012, 2-6 in 2011, and 5-4 in 2010.

Good stuff! I still believe we should be able to count the Miami game as win because it was. GoDuke!

Reilly
12-31-2015, 09:55 AM
... The ACC sold its soul to become a football league, in the process ruining its basketball identity ...

I was thinking about this the other day. Maybe while watching Pitt or L'ville, and having to remind myself that, oh yeah, that's right, that's an ACC school. I *hated* the argument that the ACC simply *had* to expand. No, it didn't. It's like we had an exquisite, tasteful, cool, 3-bedroom home, and we saw all these garish McMansions going up assessed at a higher value, so we said we simply had to blow up what we had and build the McMansion, b/c it's assessed at a higher value.

Duke as a university and the ACC as a conference would not have withered and died as sports entities if we had stood firm -- they would look different than what they look like today, and there may be a different revenue stream, but that might not necessarily be a bad thing. There's always a choice.

sagegrouse
12-31-2015, 11:51 AM
I was thinking about this the other day. Maybe while watching Pitt or L'ville, and having to remind myself that, oh yeah, that's right, that's an ACC school. I *hated* the argument that the ACC simply *had* to expand. No, it didn't. It's like we had an exquisite, tasteful, cool, 3-bedroom home, and we saw all these garish McMansions going up assessed at a higher value, so we said we simply had to blow up what we had and build the McMansion, b/c it's assessed at a higher value.

Duke as a university and the ACC as a conference would not have withered and died as sports entities if we had stood firm -- they would look different than what they look like today, and there may be a different revenue stream, but that might not necessarily be a bad thing. There's always a choice.

I hear you, but we could not have competed with the other major conferences for revenue without expanding, and eventually the ACC would drift into irrelevance. We would lose FSU and Clemson and maybe Georgia Tech and Miami and turn into the AAC rather than the ACC. But it would a few years and we could enjoy round-robin hoops until the party ended. Kinda like, "On the Beach" after the nuclear attack.

Really, Reilly, you make good points, and you may be right. The ACC leaders (including our AD and President) believed this is what was necessary to have first-rate athletic programs at the member schools. Moreover, the moves by the other conferences threatened to suck all of the dollars out of college athletics. The ACC made an aggressive but conservative move through expansion (and locking up the members for about 15 years by the sports media dollar agreement). I would certainly concede if the other conferences had stood pat, including not poaching members from other conferences, then the ACC could have continued indefinitely as a nine or ten member conference.

But that's not what happened. Of course, it's all Texas's fault (I'm just trying to get a rise out of the "Tea-Sips"). Texas (and A&M) wanted out of the Southwest Conference and proceeded to blow it up. The resulting Big 12 (which -- is it really true? -- once had 12 members) proved to be unstable -- losing Nebraska and, therefore, Colorado and ultimately Missouri to other conferences. The original Big East, of course, was not only unstable, but "dead on arrival." It was no place for a football school, and six (?) members (plus ND) eventually joined the ACC.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Bob Green
12-31-2015, 12:01 PM
For what it is worth, not much I'm sure, I predict Oklahoma will beat Clemson and Alabama will beat Michigan State today in the CFB Play-off Semi-finals.

wilson
12-31-2015, 12:04 PM
For what it is worth, not much I'm sure, I predict Oklahoma will beat Clemson and Alabama will beat Michigan State today in the CFB Play-off Semi-finals.I'm predicting the same but hoping for the exact opposite.

Tom B.
12-31-2015, 12:18 PM
Reading this, knowing the outcome, made me chuckle.

Baylor's winning margin over the Cheaters would've been even bigger if the officials hadn't gifted a touchdown to UNC just before halftime.

Baylor had stopped UNC on third-and-long, and UNC would've been facing a long field goal attempt on fourth down. But one of the Baylor players lost his helmet on the play and kept playing, thus drawing a flag for "unsportsmanlike conduct." Of course, replays showed what the officials missed -- the illegal hands to the face by a UNC lineman, which caused the helmet to come off. Should've been offsetting penalties, but instead, UNC got 15 yards and an automatic first down, and scored a touchdown two or three plays later.

devildeac
12-31-2015, 12:32 PM
Baylor's winning margin over the Cheaters would've been even bigger if the officials hadn't gifted a touchdown to UNC just before halftime.

Baylor had stopped UNC on third-and-long, and UNC would've been facing a long field goal attempt on fourth down. But one of the Baylor players lost his helmet on the play and kept playing, thus drawing a flag for "unsportsmanlike conduct." Of course, replays showed what the officials missed -- the illegal hands to the face by a UNC lineman, which caused the helmet to come off. Should've been offsetting penalties, but instead, UNC got 15 yards and an automatic first down, and scored a touchdown two or three plays later.

Yep :mad:. Plus, Williams had sooooo much time/protection on that play that I'd swear their entire OL was holding.

Olympic Fan
12-31-2015, 12:46 PM
For what it is worth, not much I'm sure, I predict Oklahoma will beat Clemson and Alabama will beat Michigan State today in the CFB Play-off Semi-finals.

I don't understand how an Oklahoma team that an inferior Clemson team (inferior to this year's Clemson team) hammered 40-6 in last year's Citrus Bowl is being almost universally favored in this matchup.

Of course, Lee Corso picked the Sooners and given his record in headgear picks this year, that's almost a guarantee of a Clemson victory.

Bob Green
12-31-2015, 01:21 PM
I don't understand how an Oklahoma team that an inferior Clemson team (inferior to this year's Clemson team) hammered 40-6 in last year's Citrus Bowl is being almost universally favored in this matchup.

Oklahoma's power running game has been extremely impressive since the loss to Texas. Clemson seemed to struggle down the stretch while Oklahoma came on strong.

Bob Green
12-31-2015, 01:23 PM
Florida State is in trouble in the Peach Bowl. Houston just scored to go up 14-3 and the Seminole offense looks out of sync without Golston at quarterback. I'm not convinced they can score enough points to win.

wilson
12-31-2015, 01:31 PM
Florida State is in trouble in the Peach Bowl. Houston just scored to go up 14-3 and the Seminole offense looks out of sync without Golston at quarterback. I'm not convinced they can score enough points to win.Make that 21-3 after a Seminole turnover inside their own red zone. Yeesh.

nocilla
12-31-2015, 01:58 PM
Florida State is in trouble in the Peach Bowl. Houston just scored to go up 14-3 and the Seminole offense looks out of sync without Golston at quarterback. I'm not convinced they can score enough points to win.

Golston hasn't played much since October. Sean McGuire has been the starting quarterback since then but he suffered an ankle injury early in this game. He is back on the field but hasn't looked good.

Bob Green
12-31-2015, 02:00 PM
Golston hasn't played much since October. Sean McGuire has been the starting quarterback since then but he suffered an ankle injury early in this game. He is back on the field but hasn't looked good.

I wasn't aware McGuire had taken over as the starter. Thanks!

gurufrisbee
12-31-2015, 02:03 PM
Clemson and Bama win today.

Olympic Fan
12-31-2015, 03:05 PM
Oklahoma's power running game has been extremely impressive since the loss to Texas. Clemson seemed to struggle down the stretch while Oklahoma came on strong.

Ehh ... statistically it's a matchup of the nation's No. 7 total offense and the nation's No. 7 total defense. On the other side, Clemson's offense is No. 12 nationally, bs. the nation's No. 31 defense ... edge Clemson.

Oklahoma's path to the playoffs was paved by the good fortune of playing three straight teams in a row down the stretch that had to play without their starting quarterbacks -- and even then they barely beat TCU when their No. 2 QB had a 2-point conversion batted down in the final minute.

I believe DeShaun Watson will shred them ... if I'm wrong, I'll come back and apologize.

Bob Green
12-31-2015, 03:09 PM
I believe DeShaun Watson will shred them ... if I'm wrong, I'll come back and apologize.

Likewise, if Clemson wins, I'll come back and admit I was wrong.

FSU just scored to cut into Houston's lead. It is 24-17 now.

DukieInKansas
12-31-2015, 03:24 PM
Likewise, if Clemson wins, I'll come back and admit I was wrong.

FSU just scored to cut into Houston's lead. It is 24-17 now.

And back to a 14 point lead.

devildeac
12-31-2015, 04:02 PM
It's nice to have #Dukegang as one of the few ACC standard bearers in bowl games this year ;) .

And, yes, c*rolina can still reside permanently in Hades.

Indoor66
12-31-2015, 05:01 PM
Let's go Clemson.

Indoor66
12-31-2015, 05:05 PM
It would be nice if some of the Conference DIRECTIONAL teams could uphold the Conference honor during the Bowl season. :)

YmoBeThere
12-31-2015, 06:14 PM
paved by the good fortune of playing three straight teams in a row down the stretch that had to play without their starting quarterbacks -- and even then they barely beat TCU when their No. 2 QB

Well, after last night's little incident here in the Alamo City, TCU will be back to their No. 2 QB. We'll see how they fare against other competition. FWIW, few around here are impressed with the Sooners, heck, they lost to the Longhorns. If there could be an redemption for Strong it would be for the Sooners to win the title.

arnie
12-31-2015, 06:28 PM
Let's go Clemson.

Go Sooners. Lost any respect for Dabo after punter gate. Love to see some Klemsuning tonite.

killerleft
12-31-2015, 07:35 PM
Go Sooners. Lost any respect for Dabo after punter gate. Love to see some Klemsuning tonite.

Not sure what Klemsuning is, but the Sooners seem to have a Clemsonite allergy tonight. Tigers looking like a champeenship contenda.

Bob Green
12-31-2015, 07:57 PM
I was wrong! Hats off to Clemson for a dominant performance in their victory over Oklahoma.

Olympic Fan
12-31-2015, 08:27 PM
Ehh ... statistically it's a matchup of the nation's No. 7 total offense and the nation's No. 7 total defense. On the other side, Clemson's offense is No. 12 nationally, bs. the nation's No. 31 defense ... edge Clemson.

Oklahoma's path to the playoffs was paved by the good fortune of playing three straight teams in a row down the stretch that had to play without their starting quarterbacks -- and even then they barely beat TCU when their No. 2 QB had a 2-point conversion batted down in the final minute.

Watson finished with 187 passing and 145 rushing -- remarkably similar to what Thomas Sirk posted in the Pinstripe Bowl (against, admittedly, a much weaker defense; 163 passing and 155 rushing). Oklahoma managed 67 net yards rushing ...

FWIW, the ACC is now 4-5 in bowl games and can get to .500 if Clemson wins the title game on Jan. 11.

Newton_14
12-31-2015, 08:40 PM
I was wrong! Hats off to Clemson for a dominant performance in their victory over Oklahoma.

Yes! Big win for the ACC! I was pulling hard for them and hope they win it all. I have no ill will toward them and I like Dabo.

I am pulling for Mich St but not sure they can beat Bama. Should be a low scoring game though. So far they have battled to a draw.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-31-2015, 09:47 PM
MSU not showing any signs of offense life in the first half.

-bdbd
01-01-2016, 01:12 AM
Man, not a great year for the ACC in the Bowls... Did not see that coming with FSU's wipeout in Atlanta! (Third string QB's playing 3 quarters-plus in a major bowl game is not generally a good recipe...)

Thank GOD for Clemson!! They looked great, but 'bama did too...

I think the Tide will be slightly favored in the title game, but it should be a good one. Great match-up. Obviously the right two teams are still alive and playing in ten days...

Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

P.S. Ironic for the Big-Ten that they had a really down year last year, yet OSU snuck into the Final-Four in the last week, then won it all. But this year they get four teams in the top-12, yet none of them will be playing in the title game (and MSU barely showed up for the semi's...)

dukelifer
01-01-2016, 01:51 AM
Man, not a great year for the ACC in the Bowls... Did not see that coming with FSU's wipeout in Atlanta! (Third string QB's playing 3 quarters-plus in a major bowl game is not generally a good recipe...)

Thank GOD for Clemson!! They looked great, but 'bama did too...

I think the Tide will be slightly favored in the title game, but it should be a good one. Great match-up. Obviously the right two teams are still alive and playing in ten days...

Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

P.S. Ironic for the Big-Ten that they had a really down year last year, yet OSU snuck into the Final-Four in the last week, then won it all. But this year they get four teams in the top-12, yet none of them will be playing in the title game (and MSU barely showed up for the semi's...)
Clemson is a solid team and should be able to play with Bama. They are more versatile offensively than Michigan State. Still Bama's D is top flight. Should be fun.

moonpie23
01-01-2016, 11:02 AM
clemson NEEDS bama to be favored.....the more, the merrier....bama is already taking them lightly...

should be an interesting upset....

rthomas
01-01-2016, 12:23 PM
Question about the Clemson Oklahoma game:

The fake punt was brilliant and obviously a huge play in the game. However, the punter threw the ball to a Tackle. I assume that the Tackle was made eligible, but never really heard any comments about this. Is that a correct assumption on my part or is there a different rule for fake punts?

killerleft
01-01-2016, 02:46 PM
BattleFrog Fiesta Bowl? Had to look it up. I guess I participated in several different Army versions of a BattleFrog. Never did it cross my mind that grown-ups would actually pay good money to run obstacle courses, get muddy/dirty, and generally frolic like three-year olds. Well, not enough folks that the organizers could sponsor a top-flight college bowl game, anyway.

But it is true. Maybe the military could host some events at their diabolical tracks. Charge money. Pay for better food or something.:o

Ohio State leads Notre Dame 28-14 at the half. Go Ohio State! I hate only the Cheaters more than Notre Dame football.

wilson
01-01-2016, 03:49 PM
The New Year's Day games are kind of a dud so far. None of them competitive in the second half.

YmoBeThere
01-01-2016, 04:04 PM
I lived in Ohio long enough to learn to loathe Ohio State in any and everything on the field/court. The only reason I don't loathe everything about them is that they employed my grandmother right after WW II. Those that know me will better understand that significance.

Atlanta Duke
01-01-2016, 04:04 PM
So much for creating a new New Year's Eve tradition

Television ratings for the first College Football Playoff semifinals held on New Year's Eve dropped approximately 36 percent from last season when they were played on New Year's Day.

http://hosted2.ap.org/PAPIT/a83f53f64d8747e1ba7ef3607401e6a5/Article_2016-01-01-FBC--Playoff-Ratings/id-9950a558d0ef4c1f8993210ec0ea39e8

I know ESPN has some serious $$$ tied up in the contracts for the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl that are broadcast on January 1, but starting your first playoff game when many folks on the West Coast are still working while finishing up your second playoff game when many are out partying on the East Coast seems to be overestimating the appeal of your product. And perish the thought the late Saturday afternoon and Saturday evening bowl games scheduled for January 2 get bumped for two playoff games.

moonpie23
01-01-2016, 04:15 PM
this was poor planning.....putting the good stuff on against NYE wasn't smart.....shoulda been on Jan 1.......

Atlanta Duke
01-01-2016, 04:27 PM
this was poor planning...putting the good stuff on against NYE wasn't smart...shoulda been on Jan 1...

ESPN (which has separate contracts for the Rose & Sugar Bowl broadcasts) apparently cannot work around the Rose Bowl (Big 10 - Pac-12) and Sugar Bowl (SEC - Big 12) being played on January 1 when those two bowls are not in the rotation to host playoff games (as was the case last year). But why the games were not slotted for January 2 is a mystery. My guess is ESPN is going to have candid exchange of views with the CFP folks about New Year's Eve playoff games going forward.

It's all about the Benjamins and the bowl games still throw off a lot of $$$

devildeac
01-01-2016, 05:09 PM
I lived in Ohio long enough to learn to loathe Ohio State in any and everything on the field/court. The only reason I don't loathe everything about them is that they employed my grandmother right after WW II. Those that know me will better understand that significance.

I do understand that significance and it is pretty amazing and worthy of recognition.

wilson
01-01-2016, 05:42 PM
The New Year's Day games are kind of a dud so far. None of them competitive in the second half.More of the same in Pasadena so far. Bummer of an overall slate of games today. Hopefully tonight's Sugar Bowl can redeem things somewhat.

sagegrouse
01-01-2016, 05:54 PM
More of the same in Pasadena so far. Bummer of an overall slate of games today. Hopefully tonight's Sugar Bowl can redeem things somewhat.

Uhhh, Brent Musburger? I believe that was you on the Rose Bowl telecast. Thanks for acknowledging the Duke lineage for Christian McCaffrey, but you should know that grandfather David Sime is pronounced Sime as in JIM, not Sime as in TIME. After all, you were 21 years old during his Olympic exploits in 1960.

Wander
01-01-2016, 07:38 PM
Aside from the important fact that Duke won, is this the worst bowl season ever? Houston beating Florida State is fun, but non-power teams beat power teams so often in the BCS (or whatever they're called now) bowls that I'm not sure it's even that notable anymore.

diablesseblu
01-01-2016, 09:43 PM
Uhhh, Brent Musburger? I believe that was you on the Rose Bowl telecast. Thanks for acknowledging the Duke lineage for Christian McCaffrey, but you should know that grandfather David Sime is pronounced Sime as in JIM, not Sime as in TIME. After all, you were 21 years old during his Olympic exploits in 1960.

I expect no more than that from Brent. My goodness, he used to mispronounce "Audi" during the days he was the lead on ABC football broadcasts and they were the primary sponsor. Was living in NYC during those years and finally called a friend who was an executive at ABC (BM had just worked my last nerve with this).

My friend's response "Brent's "challenged" when it comes to preparation/direction. He relies on his history in sports and a few anecdotes to carry him through a broadcast."

Geez....how lame.

westwall
01-01-2016, 10:02 PM
Uhhh, Brent Musburger? you should know that grandfather David Sime is pronounced Sime as in JIM, not Sime as in TIME.

Yeah, most of us who were around at that time caught the mispronunciation, but noting the multiple Duke connections (grandfather, uncle and brother) was still very much appreciated.

pfrduke
01-02-2016, 10:53 PM
The Alamo Bowl looked like it was going to be another stinker with Oregon up 31-0 at halftime but all of a sudden here we are in triple overtime tied at 41. Amazing comeback by TCU (and a testament to how important Vernon Adams was to the Ducks all year).

pfrduke
01-02-2016, 10:59 PM
And Frogs win! 47-41 final. My goodness.

Wander
01-02-2016, 11:00 PM
OK, that was fun.

Oregon, practice snapping some more in the offseason.

OldPhiKap
01-02-2016, 11:01 PM
And Frogs win! 47-41 final. My goodness.

Amazing finish! May be the only game with as good a finish as our bowl game!

dukelifer
01-02-2016, 11:05 PM
The Alamo Bowl looked like it was going to be another stinker with Oregon up 31-0 at halftime but all of a sudden here we are in triple overtime tied at 41. Amazing comeback by TCU (and a testament to how important Vernon Adams was to the Ducks all year).

And their starting center

CameronBornAndBred
01-02-2016, 11:20 PM
Amazing finish! May be the only game with as good a finish as our bowl game!
Indiana is jealous of both Alamo Bowl kickers.

OldPhiKap
01-02-2016, 11:27 PM
Indiana is jealous of both Alamo Bowl kickers.

Yup. And we have been blessed with two of the best place kickers and punters in the nation over the last few seasons. Gonna be a big gap to fill.

Meanwhile, pulling for Az. St. in the Cactus Bowl because their fans were so cool last year in El Paso, and would like to think they pulled for us in the Pinstripe.

ricks68
01-03-2016, 11:19 AM
CBS Sports ranks us #2 in best of the 40 bowl games behind only the TCU win!

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25435740/ranking-all-40-college-football-bowl-games-for-2015-16-from-worst-to-best

ricks

OldPhiKap
01-03-2016, 11:28 AM
CBS Sports ranks us #2 in best of the 40 bowl games behind only the TCU win!

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25435740/ranking-all-40-college-football-bowl-games-for-2015-16-from-worst-to-best

ricks

Win or lose, we have had exciting bowl games each of the last four years.

Winning, of course, is better.

Faison1
01-03-2016, 01:37 PM
Win or lose, we have had exciting bowl games each of the last four years.

Winning, of course, is better.

I wonder if/when people will notice the bowl performances. 4 years in a row, and 4 games that came down to the final possessions, more or less.

It's truly amazing when you think about it...Duke went from arguing a legal case, using "We are the worst team in Division I" as its own defense, to now taking respectable football programs to the wire every year in bowl season.

Hats off to you, Coach Cut!!!

-jk
01-03-2016, 04:33 PM
Wait, wasn't Cut fired from a prior job? Surely he's a compromise...

-jk

OldPhiKap
01-03-2016, 04:48 PM
Wait, wasn't Cut fired from a prior job? Surely he's a compromise...

-jk

Well, he was taken from UT after Cut left Ole Miss, although I get your point. Still, I would think that a fired head coach being hired as a coordinator (such as Cut going back to Tennessee, Kiffin now at at Alabama, or even Chizik at UNCheat) is a bit different than what would be a lateral hire.

To be clear, I trust Cut. At first blush, a fired OC from State would not really light my fire. But as I said up thread, I am not that familiar with the Pack's offense since we don't play them regularly anymore.