PDA

View Full Version : WSOC National Championship: Duke 0, Penn State 1

blazindw
12-06-2015, 02:24 PM
Duke Women lose in a heartbreaker, 1-0 in the National Championship game in Cary. Gutted for the ladies, but they played tough all the way to the end and just came up short. Still, it was a memorable run through the tournament and I'm super proud of how far they got this year.

Congrats Women's Soccer on a tremendous year...they'll be back!

cspan37421
12-06-2015, 02:50 PM
Phooey. I was a soph at Duke when they were on the happy end of a 1-zip score in the NCAA title game.*

Well, hopefully, reaching the title game presages continued future success, and maybe a championship soon.

* the Chronicle headline was, IIRC, "Duke Won, Akron Zip"

Son of Jarhead
12-06-2015, 02:59 PM
Duke Women lose in a heartbreaker, 1-0 in the National Championship game in Cary. Gutted for the ladies, but they played tough all the way to the end and just came up short. Still, it was a memorable run through the tournament and I'm super proud of how far they got this year.

Congrats Women's Soccer on a tremendous year...they'll be back!

Yeah, what blazindw said... summed up my thoughts exactly.

A big thank you to the seniors, of course, but with only one senior starter, and another great recruiting class, Duke Women's Soccer isn't going away. We'll get that natty soon. Go Duke!!!!

Indoor66
12-06-2015, 03:24 PM
Congrats to the women for a great year. I am sure we are all very proud of you.

cspan37421
12-06-2015, 03:45 PM
Yes, I should have added, many hearty congratulations to our women's soccer team for a successful season and a truly great tournament run.

AustinDevil
12-06-2015, 03:49 PM
Phooey. I was a soph at Duke when they were on the happy end of a 1-zip score in the NCAA title game.*

Well, hopefully, reaching the title game presages continued future success, and maybe a championship soon.

* the Chronicle headline was, IIRC, "Duke Won, Akron Zip"

I have heard of that headline, but of course that was the men's team. The women have made the finals before--even taking a lead on UNC when they were at the height of the juggernaut--but the women have never won it all I don't think.

DukieInKansas
12-06-2015, 03:50 PM
What a great season.

I watched it dvr delayed - can anyone explain the ending when it appeared Duke was trying to get a corner kick off and the ref kept blowing the whistle? It seemed like the whistle was creating confusion about setting up the goal kick. Not sure they would have gotten it off even without the whistle but it appeared odd. (Admitting that I don't watch much soccer.)

sagegrouse
12-06-2015, 04:05 PM
What a great season.

I watched it dvr delayed - can anyone explain the ending when it appeared Duke was trying to get a corner kick off and the ref kept blowing the whistle? It seemed like the whistle was creating confusion about setting up the goal kick. Not sure they would have gotten it off even without the whistle but it appeared odd. (Admitting that I don't watch much soccer.)

You were no more confused than the announcers, who presumably watch (and played) a lot of soccer. But it does seem that the rules about the clock are different than in international play -- no injury time, e.g. Can we presume that the clock stops with injuries in the NCAA?

uh_no
12-06-2015, 04:23 PM
You were no more confused than the announcers, who presumably watch (and played) a lot of soccer. But it does seem that the rules about the clock are different than in international play -- no injury time, e.g. Can we presume that the clock stops with injuries in the NCAA?

last i was at a game, it was a countdown clock, game ends at 0.

I think it's rather dumb...as it doesn't give the ref discretion to let the game continue when a team is threatening....allowing them to wait until the ball is cleared to end it.

THe MLS did that for a while, and then wised up. Time for the NCAA to as well.

HS Dukie
12-06-2015, 04:35 PM

Was at the game, I believe the AR had his flag raised signaling for offsides against Duke, which means PSU should have been awarded a free kick instead of it being a corner kick for Duke. I think that's why there was so much confusion during that last 10 seconds or so.

Well played game, and I feel a fair result. PSU had more clear cut chances until the last 8-10 minutes when Duke was pushing hard for an equalizer.

Indeed, the clock stops with injuries in the college game. It's a bit odd....

Nice run regardless, Devils!

stedge
12-06-2015, 05:24 PM
I was there for the second half. Penn state seemed to me the better team although we hadsome good chances early and late in the half.

The last offsides (and a previous one called on Jones) were bad calls by the same side line guy, but what can you do. Looked to me like we shoud have given up a pk earlier so it all evens out.

The teak did very well, though. Entertaining game and overall, well played.

OldPhiKap
12-06-2015, 05:53 PM
Congratulations to the team for a great season, and for representing us well.

Congrats also to Penn State, they certainly earned the victory today.

blazindw
12-06-2015, 11:39 PM
Was at the game, I believe the AR had his flag raised signaling for offsides against Duke, which means PSU should have been awarded a free kick instead of it being a corner kick for Duke. I think that's why there was so much confusion during that last 10 seconds or so.

That's exactly what happened. The officials didn't do us many favors the last 2 minutes of the game, but sometimes that's how the cookie crumbles.

DukieInKansas
12-07-2015, 04:27 AM

Well played game, and I feel a fair result. PSU had more clear cut chances until the last 8-10 minutes when Duke was pushing hard for an equalizer.

Indeed, the clock stops with injuries in the college game. It's a bit odd...

Nice run regardless, Devils!

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't see the offsides call so couldn't figure out what was causing the chaos.

MCFinARL
12-07-2015, 08:43 AM
I have heard of that headline, but of course that was the men's team. The women have made the finals before--even taking a lead on UNC when they were at the height of the juggernaut--but the women have never won it all I don't think.

According to the TV commentators, you are right--both Duke and Penn State were competing for the first NCAA women's soccer championship.

Agree with much of what others have said here. The Duke team played well and had a great tournament run; congratulations to them, and hopefully they will appreciate and enjoy all they have accomplished once the immediate sting wears off. But the outcome was just, despite a few questionable calls (including the non-call of a penalty kick that probably should have gone against Duke), because Penn State played a little better over all.

Bright future prospects for this mostly young Duke team. Go Duke!

devildeac
12-07-2015, 10:15 AM
That's exactly what happened. The officials didn't do us many favors the last 2 minutes of the game, but sometimes that's how the cookie crumbles.

WTH? You mean Duke didn't get all the calls?:rolleyes:

Lid
12-07-2015, 10:30 AM
Great season, and it was so much fun to watch the team get better and better over the last part of the season, especially. Obviously disappointing for them to lose, but also a fabulous result, given the 8th-place finish in conference. No doubt playing top-notch competition night in and night out pays off in games like this.

Re: the clock, it does stop for injuries, and the ref also has discretion to stop it if s/he determines that a team is wasting too much time. For example, if a team is ahead in the closing minutes and delays a throw-in too much, you'll often see the ref stop the clock and have it restart once the ball is in play. Subjective, but so is injury time in other leagues.

Can't wait for next year... this group has a lot to look forward to, as do the fans.

Tom B.
12-07-2015, 12:10 PM
The women have made the finals before--even taking a lead on UNC when they were at the height of the juggernaut--but the women have never won it all I don't think.

That was the 1992 Championship. I was at that game. It was played in a driving rainstorm in Chapel Hill. Duke scored early to go up 1-0 -- then UNC scored nine unanswered goals over the rest of the game to win 9-1. That UNC team featured future USWNT mainstays Mia Hamm, Kristine Lilly, and Tisha Venturini. It might've been the greatest collegiate women's soccer team ever assembled. They went 25-0, gave up only 11 goals all season, and never scored fewer than three in any single game. They scored five or more goals in 17 of their 25 games.

AustinDevil
12-07-2015, 02:17 PM
That was the 1992 Championship. I was at that game. It was played in a driving rainstorm in Chapel Hill. Duke scored early to go up 1-0 -- then UNC scored nine unanswered goals over the rest of the game to win 9-1. That UNC team featured future USWNT mainstays Mia Hamm, Kristine Lilly, and Tisha Venturini. It might've been the greatest collegiate women's soccer team ever assembled. They went 25-0, gave up only 11 goals all season, and never scored fewer than three in any single game. They scored five or more goals in 17 of their 25 games.

Yep. I was going to leave out how many goals Duke conceded after opening the scoring. It was a miracle we led at all.

heyman25
12-07-2015, 07:39 PM
Other than golf no team sport for women has brought home a championship. It was a great season, but the team is likely to feel like Wisconsin did losing to our team. Unfortunately other than loyal Duke fans will remember who finished second in 2015.

brevity
12-07-2015, 08:28 PM
It was a great season, but the team is likely to feel like Wisconsin did losing to our team.

I hope not, because there really are rent-a-players in soccer.

burnspbesq
12-07-2015, 08:51 PM
Other than golf no team sport for women has brought home a championship. I

Women's tennis won the team championship in 2009.

heyman25
12-07-2015, 08:56 PM
Forgot about that. Mallory Cecil singles champ. http://www.thestate.com/sports/article14382899.html In any event hope they can recover and compete again for that elusive crown.

AustinDevil
12-07-2015, 09:46 PM
Women's tennis won the team championship in 2009.

In College Station and I was there! Great tournament.

Son of Jarhead
12-08-2015, 01:30 AM
In addition to the '92 loss to them damn heels, the women lost in the final in 2011 1-0 to Stanford, in very similar fashion as this loss to Penn St. Having coached two teams to the final in 5 years, Robbie Church has the program in great shape. BTW, Christina Gibbons, Toni Payne, EJ Proctor, and Kayla McCoy all made the NCAA All-Tournament Team. :)

nocilla
12-08-2015, 08:11 AM
Having coached two teams to the final in 5 years, Robbie Church has the program in great shape. BTW, Christina Gibbons, Toni Payne, EJ Proctor, and Kayla McCoy all made the NCAA All-Tournament Team. :)

For those curious; Gibbons and Payne are juniors, Proctor (Goalie) a sophomore, and McCoy a freshman. I agree the program appears to be in great shape.

My 10 year old daughter watched some of the FSU game and most of the Penn St game with me. She plays a little soccer and I enjoyed talking to her about the different strategies and things she can be working on. Visual reinforcement helps a lot.

gumbomoop
12-08-2015, 09:38 AM
For those curious; Gibbons and Payne are juniors, Proctor (Goalie) a sophomore, and McCoy a freshman. I agree the program appears to be in great shape.

Yes, great shape. Not only because of the 4 players noted here, but because there were only 2 seniors on this year's roster, and one of those 2 played in only a single match. They will have experienced seniors, juniors, and sophs next season, joined, I think, by several promising frosh. Strong roster for a challenging conference.

Tom B.
12-08-2015, 11:43 AM
Yep. I was going to leave out how many goals Duke conceded after opening the scoring. It was a miracle we led at all.

I think Mia Hamm had a hat trick in that game. I remember how ecstatic we were when Duke scored first to take a 1-0 lead. It may have been the first (and only) time UNC trailed that season. We had visions of a galaxy-shaking upset in our heads -- for about five minutes. Then UNC started pounding balls into the net seemingly at will.

Even the weather and the playing surface seemed to conspire against us. I recall one instance in which the ball was in the box in front of Duke's goal -- the Carolina players were trying to corral it for a shot, Duke was trying to clear it, and the ball was bouncing all over the place. Then it hit a saturated spot on the ground and just stopped dead with an audible "Splat!" -- thus teeing itself up perfectly for a point-blank shot on goal from about 10 yards out, which one of the Carolina players (might have been Mia) drilled home with ease.