PDA

View Full Version : The Bill Walton Champion, 2015-2016

OldPhiKap
12-04-2015, 08:37 AM
Okay, Ky beat Duke and now UCLA has beaten KY.

Trying to see where UCLA may get tripped up, but at 5-3 I guess the answer is "anywhere"

Next two games are hosting Long Beach State, then they go to the Zags December 12. So my guess is, the Zags may be next in line. Long Beach State is 4-4 though, so they may catch UCLA in a let-down game.

-jk
12-04-2015, 09:32 AM
For those just joining, here's the backstory to the Bill Walton (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?33027-The-Walton-Rankings-Who-is-No-1&p=701611#post701611) Championship:

I was watching the Cal-Stanford game last night (great win for Johnny D's kids) and Bill Walton was doing the game.

He said that Cal was No. 1 because they just beat No. 1 (Arizona) and that's the way "algebra" works -- to be No. 1 you have to beat No. 1 (don't get me started on his use of the word algebra).

Even if you concede his system, there was a flaw in his reasoning -- Arizona never beat No. 1 ... they were voted No. 1 by the pollsters.

So who should be No. 1 in the Walton Universe?

That depends on who starts as No. 1.

If you start with preseason No. 1 Kentucky, it goes from Kentucky to Michigan State to UNC to Texas to Michigan State again to Michigan and most recently to Indiana, which hasn't lost since beating Michigan.

But you could start with the defending national champ -- Louisville. In that case, it goes from Louisville to UNC to UAB to LSU to Rhode Island to St. Louis, which is still No. 1.

Which do you think has the better case? Indiana? Or St. Louis?

-jk

brevity
12-04-2015, 11:02 AM
That previous thread mentions the silly NBA Championship Belt, to be passed from team to team. The same could be done here. I suggest this belt for the Bill Walton Champion:

Trying to see where UCLA may get tripped up, but at 5-3 I guess the answer is "anywhere"

Next two games are hosting Long Beach State, then they go to the Zags December 12. So my guess is, the Zags may be next in line. Long Beach State is 4-4 though, so they may catch UCLA in a let-down game.

It's simple. Root for Long Beach State to win at UCLA this Sunday, and for Duke to beat Long Beach State on December 30. Then Duke gets the belt back.

The only flaw in this logic is that Long Beach State has to KEEP the belt in between, which is tricky. They have a road game against Pepperdine, a home game against Tampa, but then play at Oregon and at Arizona. (Their schedule (http://www.longbeachstate.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/lbst-m-baskbl-sched.html) is nuts. UCLA is the second game they play this weekend.)

uh_no
12-04-2015, 11:37 AM
That previous thread mentions the silly NBA Championship Belt, to be passed from team to team. The same could be done here. I suggest this belt for the Bill Walton Champion:

It's simple. Root for Long Beach State to win at UCLA this Sunday, and for Duke to beat Long Beach State on December 30. Then Duke gets the belt back.

The only flaw in this logic is that Long Beach State has to KEEP the belt in between, which is tricky. They have a road game against Pepperdine, a home game against Tampa, but then play at Oregon and at Arizona. (Their schedule (http://www.longbeachstate.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/lbst-m-baskbl-sched.html) is nuts. UCLA is the second game they play this weekend.)

the best chance (i think) for duke to get the belt back pre tourney is for UCLA to first lose to UNC on 12/19, and then for it to spend the spring in the ACC.

Lar77
12-04-2015, 11:53 AM

Tark is Back!!!!!

jv001
12-04-2015, 01:25 PM
the best chance (i think) for duke to get the belt back pre tourney is for UCLA to first lose to UNC on 12/19, and then for it to spend the spring in the ACC.

Root for the Cheats? No way, I'd rather UCLA keep the belt all the way up to the Tourney and then we beat them to get it back. GoDuke!

sagegrouse
12-04-2015, 01:31 PM
Root for the Cheats? No way, I'd rather UCLA keep the belt all the way up to the Tourney and then we beat them to get it back. GoDuke!

Help me with the formal logic here. Is it logically inevitable that the National Champion ends up with the Bill Walton Championship Belt?

Kindly,
Sage

subzero02
12-04-2015, 01:40 PM
Help me with the formal logic here. Is it logically inevitable that the National Champion ends up with the Bill Walton Championship Belt?

Kindly,
Sage

If the belt makes it into the ivy league, it could avoid making it to the ncaa tournament entirely. This is because the ivy league has no conference tournament.

jimsumner
12-04-2015, 01:44 PM
If the belt makes it into the ivy league, it could avoid making it to the ncaa tournament entirely. This is because the ivy league has no conference tournament.

Or it could go a team that wins out through its conference tournament but is ineligible for the NCAA Tournament.

Or a team that goes all-Al McGuire and turns down an NCAA bid and goes to the NIT instead.

The mind boggles.

BigWayne
12-04-2015, 02:09 PM
Or it could go a team that wins out through its conference tournament but is ineligible for the NCAA Tournament.

Or a team that goes all-Al McGuire and turns down an NCAA bid and goes to the NIT instead.

The mind boggles.

It's supposed to. It's the Bill Walton belt. From watching him broadcast games, it seems his mind is always set to boggle mode.

jimsumner
12-04-2015, 03:18 PM
It's supposed to. It's the Bill Walton belt. From watching him broadcast games, it seems his mind is always set to boggle mode.

I've long viewed Walton as the positive answer to the question "Is it possible to spend too much time at Grateful Dead concerts?"

weezie
12-04-2015, 03:46 PM

Oh no way! There has to be some kind of sub-clause to deal with that scenario. Like a boring play in game or a phantom face mask call that replays the possession of the belt.

Yeah, like that. :mad:

crimsondevil
12-04-2015, 04:45 PM
Do all of the conference tournaments include all teams? That is, do any have, say, 12 teams but only the top 8 play in their tournament? I think this was the case for some conferences at one time or another but I'm not sure if it still is.

If so, that would be another way the Walton belt would not converge on the NCAA champ.

OldPhiKap
12-04-2015, 04:51 PM
Do all of the conference tournaments include all teams? That is, do any have, say, 12 teams but only the top 8 play in their tournament? I think this was the case for some conferences at one time or another but I'm not sure if it still is.

If so, that would be another way the Walton belt would not converge on the NCAA champ.

It could also go to UNC, and then the NCAA could give them the death penalty mid-season before their next game. At minimum, a post-season ban.

One can always hope.

uh_no
12-04-2015, 05:02 PM
Oh no way! There has to be some kind of sub-clause to deal with that scenario. Like a boring play in game or a phantom face mask call that replays the possession of the belt.

there would have to be a title unification game.

MarkD83
12-04-2015, 05:03 PM
It could also go to UNC, and then the NCAA could give them the death penalty mid-season before their next game. At minimum, a post-season ban.

One can always hope.

In which case the Walton Belt would be in Indy and by default Butler would hold the belt.

phaedrus
12-04-2015, 05:08 PM

Or just give it by default to the 13-time NFL League Champion.

Wander
12-04-2015, 05:21 PM
I support this being a regular DBR thing. Note that it could also be Northern Iowa, based on the preseason #1 method.

OldPhiKap
12-04-2015, 05:31 PM
I support this being a regular DBR thing. Note that it could also be Northern Iowa, based on the preseason #1 method.

True. It may be like boxing back in the day where you had different sanctioning bodies recognizing different champs.

Or like back in the old old day where you had a Pope, and sometimes one or more Antipopes.

rasputin
12-04-2015, 05:32 PM

I haven't seen the scorecard on how many teams make it to the XYZ conference tournament, but you are correct that in the past (including 2015), many conferences' tournament formats (for example the Ohio Valley Conference) have fewer than all of the teams invited to the tournament. On top of that are the schools who are ineligible for their conference tournament for one reason or another. This year, I know that Alcorn State, Florida A&M, Stetson, and Central Arkansas are ineligible because of APR issues. [Stetson is a duck-billed platypus here, because they ARE eligible for the Atlantic Sun Conference tourney, but ineligible for the NCAA's; if Stetson wins the conference tournament, the regular season champ gets the automatic bid, unless Stetson is the regular season champ, then it goes to whoever came in second.]

At least one team, Southern Mississippi, is ineligible because of a self-imposed ban. Also teams are ineligible because they are still transitioning into Division 1. I think these are all related to the D-1 transition: Massachusetts-Lowell, Northern Kentucky, Abliene Christian, Incarnate Word, and Grand Canyon.

BD80
12-04-2015, 05:50 PM
I've long viewed Walton as the positive answer to the question "Is it possible to spend too much time at Grateful Dead concerts?"

He is a one-man argument AGAINST the legalization of marijuana. I'm tempted to take a trip to Ann Arbor for a bit where I can not illegally understand his argument.

... Or like back in the old old day where you had a Pope, and sometimes one or more Antipopes.

Bill is all up for announcing choices with clouds of smoke.

uh_no
12-13-2015, 01:20 PM
having cleared UK and 'zaga, the next "real" chance for the title to transfer is when UCLA plays UNC on saturday. That would mostly likely assure it remains in the ACC until the tournament.

devildeac
12-13-2015, 02:51 PM
having cleared UK and 'zaga, the next "real" chance for the title to transfer is when UCLA plays UNC on saturday. That would mostly likely assure it remains in the ACC until the tournament.

Go Bruins!

Olympic Fan
12-13-2015, 02:54 PM
Go Bruins!

They just won at Gonzaga, so we can only hope! I agree, Go Bruins!

Henderson
12-13-2015, 03:04 PM
He is a one-man argument AGAINST the legalization of marijuana. I'm tempted to take a trip to Ann Arbor for a bit where I can not illegally understand his argument.

Bill is all up for announcing choices with clouds of smoke.

Riddle me this: What's the difference between the Bill Walton Championship and the Cannabis Cup?

devildeac
12-13-2015, 03:05 PM
Riddle me this: What's the difference between the Bill Walton Championship and the Cannabis Cup?

30-40 grams? :rolleyes:

wilson
12-13-2015, 03:11 PM
Riddle me this: What's the difference between the Bill Walton Championship and the Cannabis Cup?One is a dope championship, the other is a dope's championship.

uh_no
12-13-2015, 03:38 PM
One is a dope championship, the other is championship dope.

you win the internet for today.

i like this phrasing slightly better though!

OldPhiKap
12-13-2015, 04:10 PM

One sounds good if you are high, the other one -- okay, I guess they both sound good high.

Now, to find a thread about nachos . . . .

(J/k, of course)

devildeac
12-13-2015, 04:24 PM
One sounds good if you are high, the other one -- okay, I guess they both sound good high.

Now, to find a thread about nachos . . . .

(J/k, of course)

That would be the Peyton (and Papa Johns) for OC discussion in the Scotty to ECU and/or 2016 FB Recruiting thread/s. Too many damn discussions for me to follow.:o

OldPhiKap
12-13-2015, 04:26 PM
That would be the Peyton (and Papa Johns) for OC discussion in the Scotty to ECU and/or 2016 FB Recruiting thread/s. Too many damn discussions for me to follow.:o

You can always fall back to the Ymm, beer thread. When in doubt, go with what you know.

-jk
12-13-2015, 04:34 PM
You can always fall back to the Ymm, beer thread. When in doubt, go with what you know.

Where'd I leave that "Ymm!, Bourbon" thread?

-jk

devildeac
12-13-2015, 04:37 PM
Where'd I leave that "Ymm!, Bourbon" thread?

-jk

Search feature doesn't work well for you either?

;)

If we have such a thread, it'd be great to make it BTTT. If not, yours to start...

uh_no
12-13-2015, 05:13 PM
Search feature doesn't work well for you either?

;)

If we have such a thread, it'd be great to make it BTTT. If not, yours to start...

can we please call it "whiskeypedia?"

uh_no
12-19-2015, 04:34 PM
Walton #1 12/19/15

with but two cupcakes before ACC season, it's likely the belt will remain with the ACC until the tournament, giving duke another chance to reclaim it.

It's probable that UNC will lose by the time they've finished with FSU. Here are the fastest paths to each team in the ACC.

12/19: UNC
12/30: Clemson
1/2: GT, FSU
1/5: Syracuse
1/6: Pitt
1/9: UVA, ND, Miami
1/10: UL
1/13: BC, Duke, NCSU
1/16: VT, Wake

So if you needed another reason to root for clemson over the heels, this is it!

bedeviled
02-07-2016, 02:38 AM
Louisville claimed the #1 spot when they beat UNC on 2/1.
With Louisville's post-season ban, we could potentially end the year without a unified champion!

Or, Louisville could give up the belt in their next game, 2/8 vs Duke.

Tripping William
02-09-2016, 11:22 AM
Louisville claimed the #1 spot when they beat UNC on 2/1.
With Louisville's post-season ban, we could potentially end the year without a unified champion!

Or, Louisville could give up the belt in their next game, 2/8 vs Duke.

I am stunned that no one has yet touted our recently acquired status as the Walton #1. :cool:

AIRFORCEDUKIE
02-09-2016, 11:50 AM
#Champs, we've accomplished a goal for this season, now lets hold onto it for the rest of the season! This could set up UNC to become The Walton Champ twice or maybe even three times in one season!!! I guess Duke could accomplish the same feat. Quick someone see what the record is for being Walton Champ in one season.

killerleft
02-09-2016, 04:23 PM
This thing is just about sure to stay in the ACC through the ACC tournament, yay.

Wahoo2000
02-09-2016, 07:40 PM
This thing is just about sure to stay in the ACC through the ACC tournament, yay.

Yikes. What if we beat you guys on Saturday then don't lose again until our regular season finale vs...... Louisville? Oh..... the horror of an un-unified champion!

Maybe Walton would say that since Louisville can't play in the postseason, they're ineligible to be a champion/#1, in which case UNC retained the title following the loss to "ineligible" Louisville and instead dropped the top spot to Notre Dame last week.

Somebody smoke a couple bowls, then maybe throw in some peyote and commune with your "spirit-guide-walton" and get a ruling here. This is important stuff.

Inquiring..... er.... THC-addled minds want to know.

BigWayne
02-09-2016, 08:02 PM
Yikes. What if we beat you guys on Saturday then don't lose again until our regular season finale vs... Louisville? Oh.... the horror of an un-unified champion!

Maybe Walton would say that since Louisville can't play in the postseason, they're ineligible to be a champion/#1, in which case UNC retained the title following the loss to "ineligible" Louisville and instead dropped the top spot to Notre Dame last week.

Somebody smoke a couple bowls, then maybe throw in some peyote and commune with your "spirit-guide-walton" and get a ruling here. This is important stuff.

Inquiring.... er... THC-addled minds want to know.

Louisville wasn't ineligible when they beat UNC. Not sure that helps or hurts as now you would need to get a spiritual ruling on how they should relinquish the title.

Tripping William
02-09-2016, 08:04 PM
Louisville wasn't ineligible when they beat UNC. Not sure that helps or hurts as now you would need to get a spiritual ruling on how they should relinquish the title.

A séance summoning Jerry Garcia and John Wooden appears to be in order.

NSDukeFan
02-09-2016, 08:27 PM
If UNC were to get it back, will they hang up a banner and get rings made?

Tripping William
02-09-2016, 08:27 PM
If UNC were to get it back, will they hang up a banner and get rings made?

Depends. Did Walton ever work for a bakery?

OldPhiKap
02-09-2016, 08:36 PM
Depends. Did Walton ever work for a bakery?

No. But he was baked a lot.

Tripping William
02-09-2016, 08:37 PM
No. But he was baked a lot.

Close enough for the folks down the street.

killerleft
02-09-2016, 08:57 PM
Close enough for the folks down the street.

Hey, they bake up diplomas out of thin air. Perfect match.:)

DU82
02-09-2016, 11:04 PM
Yikes. What if we beat you guys on Saturday then don't lose again until our regular season finale vs... Louisville? Oh.... the horror of an un-unified champion!

The title would be in Notre Dame's hands, then, if the Louisville loss doesn't count. In any event, the belt is NOT in Chapel Hill.

bedeviled
03-06-2016, 12:03 PM
From Duke vs Louisville on 2/8, the Walton belt has had journeyed through
Louisville over Duke, 2/20
Miami over Louisville, 2/27
to Virginia Tech over Miami, 3/5

Yes, Virginia Tech....meaning Duke is positioned to regain the title in the Championship game of the ACC Tournament.

sagegrouse
03-06-2016, 01:07 PM
From Duke vs Louisville on 2/8, the Walton belt has had journeyed through
Louisville over Duke, 2/20
Miami over Louisville, 2/27
to Virginia Tech over Miami, 3/5

Yes, Virginia Tech...meaning Duke is positioned to regain the title in the Championship game of the ACC Tournament.

VT? Wow! Looks like the ACC champion will be in the lead going into the NCAA tournament.

OldPhiKap
03-14-2016, 07:23 AM
VT? Wow! Looks like the ACC champion will be in the lead going into the NCAA tournament.

VT -> Miami -> Virginia -> uNC. Go Fighting Play-inners!

OldPhiKap
04-05-2016, 12:52 PM
VT -> Miami -> Virginia -> uNC. Go Fighting Play-inners!

Order is restored, the NCAA and Bill Walton have a unified champion.