PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke vs. Minnesota 12/3

DU82
12-03-2015, 07:23 PM
The women's ACC-B1G challenge is on in Cameron. Duke 25-16 after one quarter.

Nice perimeter D in the man to man for once, since the Gophers are supposed to be able to shoot the three. Haven't seen it yet.

Still a few too many TOs, but a strong start.

-jk
12-03-2015, 07:27 PM
And for the record:

DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

burnspbesq
12-03-2015, 09:03 PM
Solid performance at both ends for Duke. Duke got off to a 6-0 start, and led by 8-12 for most of the first three quarters, before blowing it wide open with a 17-2 run to start the fourth.

Defensively, the game plan was to run the Gophers off the three-point line, and Duke got the job done. Minnesota came in shooting over 39 percent on threes (and over 40 percent of its shot attempts were from three). Tonight, they went 5-25. They shot 20-37 on twos, but it wasn't nearly enough.

Offensively, Duke had its usual advantage in the paint, with 14 offensive rebounds, but also shredded the Gophers' 2-3 zone with inside-out and post-opposite passing. Duke shot 50 percent on the night, including 8-18 on threes. Stevens led the team with 26 (and 11 rebounds). Greenwell, Salvadores, and Chidom also scored in double figures. Salvadores had eight assists.

Very nice.

Tappan Zee Devil
12-03-2015, 09:34 PM
Solid performance at both ends for Duke. Duke got off to a 6-0 start, and led by 8-12 for most of the first three quarters, before blowing it wide open with a 17-2 run to start the fourth.

Defensively, the game plan was to run the Gophers off the three-point line, and Duke got the job done. Minnesota came in shooting over 39 percent on threes (and over 40 percent of its shot attempts were from three). Tonight, they went 5-25. They shot 20-37 on twos, but it wasn't nearly enough.

Offensively, Duke had its usual advantage in the paint, with 14 offensive rebounds, but also shredded the Gophers' 2-3 zone with inside-out and post-opposite passing. Duke shot 50 percent on the night, including 8-18 on threes. Stevens led the team with 26 (and 11 rebounds). Greenwell, Salvadores,and Chidom also scored in double figures. Salvadores had eight assists.

Very nice.

with only one turn over.

It appears we have a point guard!

aswewere
12-03-2015, 09:40 PM
with only one turn over.

It appears we have a point guard!

She plays the 2 most of the time.

Tappan Zee Devil
12-03-2015, 10:17 PM
She plays the 2 most of the time.

OK - I only saw the box score. I haven't actually seen a game this year - but 8 assists and 1 TO is impressive.

jimsumner
12-03-2015, 10:32 PM
Call her a point guard, call her a shooting guard, but Salvadores is going to have the ball in her hands. A lot.

Minnesota was smaller than Duke and less athletic than Duke. Their only chance was to shoot lights-out from 3 and it didn't happen. They were 5-25. Their coach said they took good shots, the kind of shots they usually make but from where I was sitting--which was courtside--it seemed obvious that Duke's length and aggressiveness pushed them out past their comfort zone. Many of their misses weren't even close.

Minnesota's star guard, Rachael Banham scored 21 points but she was 1-10 from 3-point range, 8-23 overall and committed five turnovers. Duke did a real good job on her.

Duke assisted on 22of their 34 made field goals and a good many of those other 12 were putbacks. Good ball movement, great passing.

And Azura Stevens is pretty good.

aswewere
12-04-2015, 09:49 AM
Salvadores plays her best when she is a PG and penetrate the defense
before they are fully set to shoot or dish. This was the type game that
bought her fame in Europe.

killerleft
12-04-2015, 09:55 AM
Call her a point guard, call her a shooting guard, but Salvadores is going to have the ball in her hands. A lot.

Minnesota was smaller than Duke and less athletic than Duke. Their only chance was to shoot lights-out from 3 and it didn't happen. They were 5-25. Their coach said they took good shots, the kind of shots they usually make but from where I was sitting--which was courtside--it seemed obvious that Duke's length and aggressiveness pushed them out past their comfort zone. Many of their misses weren't even close.

Minnesota's star guard, Rachael Banham scored 21 points but she was 1-10 from 3-point range, 8-23 overall and committed five turnovers. Duke did a real good job on her.

Duke assisted on 22of their 34 made field goals and a good many of those other 12 were putbacks. Good ball movement, great passing.

And Azura Stevens is pretty good.

I still go back and look at this video that someone posted when Azura signed with Duke. It's from Nov. and Dec. of her senior year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNVBw3d5KU0

I couldn't believe that she wasn't the top-rated recruit in the nation. Still can't. Poetry in motion then, add some toughness now. There is still no lid on her potential, and she has been steadily improving since she got to Duke.

Time for me to go out to the goduke.com and order tickets for several games.

jimsumner
12-04-2015, 01:59 PM
I still go back and look at this video that someone posted when Azura signed with Duke. It's from Nov. and Dec. of her senior year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNVBw3d5KU0

I couldn't believe that she wasn't the top-rated recruit in the nation. Still can't. Poetry in motion then, add some toughness now. There is still no lid on her potential, and she has been steadily improving since she got to Duke.

Time for me to go out to the goduke.com and order tickets for several games.

It's hard to argue with 10-17 shooting but Stevens actually left some points on the floor. She missed a number of makeable shots at the rim.

The best part for me was her 5-5 night from the line. I think of how many more points Elizabeth Williams would have scored had she been able to make foul shots. If Stevens can hit 75 percent or better from the line for the rest of her career, it will significantly enhance her effectiveness. Because she is going to get to the line. A lot.

At least twice, Duke tried to get her the ball at shin level and she signaled that she wanted it in the air. I don't think I've seen her fumble a lob all season. I hope her teammates are listening.