PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky vs UCLA

SoCalDukeFan
12-03-2015, 10:54 AM
Interesting article on the spending etc. on basketball at two schools. I would guess Duke is much closer to Kentucky.

Link (http://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-ucla-kentucky-20151203-story.html)

SoCal

rasputin
12-03-2015, 01:44 PM
Interesting article on the spending etc. on basketball at two schools. I would guess Duke is much closer to Kentucky.

Link (http://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-ucla-kentucky-20151203-story.html)

SoCal

Just looking at the text of this message, without looking at the data, made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

Billy Dat
12-03-2015, 01:53 PM
Interesting article. We are closer to Kentucky in our funding, but how we got there is, I believe, one of the great articles that has never been written. I would love someone to do a deep dive on how K has built the endowment of the Men's Basketball program over the past 10-20 years. He also gets boosters to write checks, but he used those checks to create a big fat nest egg that now funds the program to a large extent. The fact that we can compete financially with programs that sell out 20,000+ arenas every game, when we give away 1000s of tickets for free every game in a 9,000 seat arena, is incredible.

SoCalDukeFan
12-04-2015, 12:46 AM
Interesting article. We are closer to Kentucky in our funding, but how we got there is, I believe, one of the great articles that has never been written. I would love someone to do a deep dive on how K has built the endowment of the Men's Basketball program over the past 10-20 years. He also gets boosters to write checks, but he used those checks to create a big fat nest egg that now funds the program to a large extent. The fact that we can compete financially with programs that sell out 20,000+ arenas every game, when we give away 1000s of tickets for free every game in a 9,000 seat arena, is incredible.

should be written.

porkpa
12-04-2015, 06:40 AM
So, Who won the game last night?

Pghdukie
12-04-2015, 06:46 AM
Ucla

Saratoga2
12-04-2015, 06:50 AM
So, Who won the game last night?

Kentucky lost Lee due to an injury and became more of a jump shooting team. UCLA forced that because they packed it inside on defense and it exposed Kentucky's weakness hitting outside shots. Calipari had his usual whining demeanor on the sidelines. Something we all should know by now is that there are no great teams this year although some will emerge to be very good.

whereinthehellami
12-04-2015, 08:01 AM
KY lost to UCLA by 10....hahaha. The morning cup of coffee is tasting really good this morning.

bluedev_92
12-04-2015, 08:28 AM
KY lost to UCLA by 10...hahaha. The morning cup of coffee is tasting really good this morning.

I agree!!

porkpa
12-04-2015, 08:57 AM
Indeed! I've reached the point where I revel more in a defeat of UK than I do UNC. Believe it or not I think that those UK fans hate Duke more than we hate UNC or UNC views Duke.

duke blue brewcrew
12-04-2015, 09:14 AM
Indeed! I've reached the point where I revel more in a defeat of UK than I do UNC. Believe it or not I think that those UK fans hate Duke more than we hate UNC or UNC views Duke.

I have to say, there's some truth to this statement. I would hesitate to say one team's hatred is greater than the other, but they are certainly on par at the very least.

MChambers
12-04-2015, 09:28 AM
During the Duke game Wednesday, he said UK was the best team in the country.

NYBri
12-04-2015, 09:33 AM

Never! 9F Always!

sagegrouse
12-04-2015, 09:33 AM

SoCal

From the article:

UCLA's basketball expenses were less than half of the $20 million Kentucky spent on basketball, according to the most recent filings required by the Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act.

Here's old data in this article (http://www.businessinsider.com/these-20-schools-spend-the-most-money-on-their-basketball-teams-2012-1?op=1), in which Duke revenue and expenses are greater than Kentucky's.

JasonEvans
12-04-2015, 09:41 AM
My key takeaway from the game was this...

UCLA has a player named Prince Ali!!!

And the kid can dunk!! Check this out! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdP6LxT_z1U)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEryAoLfnAA

He's got the monkeys! Lets see the monkeys!

-Jason "As strong at ten regular men, definitely" Evans

porkpa
12-04-2015, 09:48 AM
My personal experience with UK fans doesn't even involve the UK basketball team. It goes back to the Indiana-Duke game in the 2002 NCAAs, the one where Carlos Boozer was robbed resulting in an Indiana win.
The game took place at Rupp Arena. It felt like my late wife and myself were the only people in the packed arena cheering for the Devils. We really felt physically endangered because we had the audacity to cheer for Duke.
The vast majority of the folks there were UK fans.
That's alright. It was expected. But the weren't cheering for Indiana, to the contrary it seemed as though to a person they were cheering AGAINST Duke. That's alright. They can cheer for or against whomever they want to. But the manner in which they expressed themselves was disgusting. Cursing was the norm. They were probably exceeded in their actions only by the Maryland fans when Duke visited. I'd hate to have been there if UK was playing Duke instead of Indiana.
I've been to the Dean Dome three times to see Duke play Carolina. In none of those times were we exposed to the crudish behavior we experienced at Rupp.
Sure, everybody was cheering for UNC. That was expected. It shouldn't be any other way. I've only been to one UNC game at Cameron. I firmly believe that this is the single toughest ticket get in all of sports. The experience was pretty much the same in an opposite direction than it was at the Dean Dome. If anything, our fans were tougher on the few Tar Heel fans than they were on us.

Atlanta Duke
12-04-2015, 10:36 AM
It is not just Duke fans who have issues with Big Blue Nation

Kentucky Basketball Fans Voted Most Annoying College Sports Fan Base In The Country

Congratulations, Big Blue Nation. According to our readers, you are the most annoying fan base in college sports. Kentucky basketball supporters were voted slightly more annoying than Alabama football fans, 52%-48%, in our championship game this week. Kentucky was our overall No. 1 seed in the tournament, so technically, chalk won out.

http://collegespun.com/sec/kentucky-sec/kentucky-basketball-fans-voted-most-annoying-college-sports-fan-base-in-the-country

Duke basketball fans were a #1 regional seed but we underperformed by being eliminated in the Sweet Sixteen

SCMatt33
12-04-2015, 11:22 AM
So I noticed this bit at the end of the article:

On Thursday, UCLA expects a capacity crowd — its first since January 2014

First, it's pretty crazy that a team that made the NCAA tourney last year and had the history of UCLA, couldn't sell out a single game last season. Second, they didn't actually get that capacity crowd last night. The post renovation capacity of Pauley Pavilion is about 13,800. The announced attendance was 12,200. Even that number might have been inflated a bit based off of how empty some of upper level baseline sections looked. Though to be fair, they have blue seats and I was watching on a small screen and sons it could have been patches of Kentucky fans. Either way, I understand LA traffic and all, but if you can't sell out a game against #1 Kentucky, with their fans helping out the attendance, when are you going to sell out a game? That's a bigger issue for UCLA in my mind than practice facilities and player dorms.

burnspbesq
12-04-2015, 06:37 PM
So I noticed this bit at the end of the article:

On Thursday, UCLA expects a capacity crowd — its first since January 2014

First, it's pretty crazy that a team that made the NCAA tourney last year and had the history of UCLA, couldn't sell out a single game last season. Second, they didn't actually get that capacity crowd last night. The post renovation capacity of Pauley Pavilion is about 13,800. The announced attendance was 12,200. Even that number might have been inflated a bit based off of how empty some of upper level baseline sections looked. Though to be fair, they have blue seats and I was watching on a small screen and sons it could have been patches of Kentucky fans. Either way, I understand LA traffic and all, but if you can't sell out a game against #1 Kentucky, with their fans helping out the attendance, when are you going to sell out a game? That's a bigger issue for UCLA in my mind than practice facilities and player dorms.

On a weeknight, Pauley is by far the most difficult D1 basketball venue to get to in SoCal. Only Gersten Pavilion at LMU (and maybe Northridge) comes close. If the game is on TV, it's just not worth it. Galen Center, the Pyramid, the Bren, even Titan Gym are far easier. Getting to Pauley from OC on a weeknight is like trying to get to Cameron from Charlotte.