PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth Bench Highlights

Albert
11-30-2015, 05:21 PM
These guys are awesome, but I only post this to point out that one of these should be called "the Thomas Hill." Please correct me or discipline as warranted . . .

http://espn.go.com/espn/now?nowId=1-14261427

flyingdutchdevil
11-30-2015, 06:06 PM
Yes. definitely the most entertaining bench in college sports. Thanks for posting!

Pghdukie
11-30-2015, 06:12 PM
That was hilarious! I can picture in my mind the Crazies emulatING a few of those, plus adding a few more !!!

fuse
11-30-2015, 06:46 PM
As fun as the antics are, I can't bring myself to enjoy a team coached by UNC's own King Rice.

Or as ESPN labeled him in one post game graphic recently, Rice King.

Wish I had an image to back it up, Google failed me.

OldPhiKap
11-30-2015, 08:01 PM
King Rice, as always, sucks.

The bench at Monmouth is fun to watch though.

brevity
12-06-2015, 10:05 PM
As fun as the antics are, I can't bring myself to enjoy a team coached by UNC's own King Rice.

Or as ESPN labeled him in one post game graphic recently, Rice King.

Wish I had an image to back it up, Google failed me.

Twitter is your friend.

If the Monmouth coach combines forces with Abe Froman, they could make a side dish that puts Bojangles out of business.

Edouble
12-06-2015, 10:50 PM
I find that sort of behavior annoying and obnoxious. Reminds me of the awful unc bench behavior around the turn of the 90s/00s.

King Rice sucks.

whereinthehellami
12-07-2015, 10:33 AM
I find that sort of behavior annoying and obnoxious. Reminds me of the awful unc bench behavior around the turn of the 90s/00s.

King Rice sucks.

I agree and I'll get right into my "get off my lawn" rant. if I was the coach I would not be happy that my bench is preening for the cameras. I would want them to have their heads in the game and be ready to play, not trying to come up with their next set piece. Dang, getting older is lame.

Tom B.
12-07-2015, 11:36 AM
Of course, this is probably the first time in forever that Monmouth basketball has been relevant to...well, anything. The only other memory I have of Monmouth is from when Duke destroyed them in the first round of the 2001 NCAA Tournament. As I recall, the game got out of hand so quickly that CBS cut away to a different game (this was before the days of multi-channel coverage and live streaming of all first-round games) at the second TV timeout.

OK, I did a bit of quick research and came up with this trivia: Monmouth is one of what has to be just a few programs (it might be the only one?) to have played and won games in the post-season tournaments for the NAIA and NCAA Divisions III, II, and I.

left_hook_lacey
12-07-2015, 11:41 AM
I can't decide if I'm for it or against it. I guess I would have to see the game live and how their celebrations fit in with the timing/flow of the game.

With that being said, King Rice strolling up and down the sideline hurts their chances of getting the thumbs up from this biased observer. :cool:

Billy Dat
12-07-2015, 11:43 AM
I like these guys. Sports are supposed to be fun. These kids never play, their antics show that they are following the game very closely. It brings the program publicity, I see no harm. I don't question K's "all business" approach but I don't think every team has to be that way.

Here's a little trivia...the late 80s Steve Kerr/Sean Elliott Arizona Wildcats had a bench who, while not as choreographed as the Monmouth bench, was known for its exuberant celebrating. What were they known as?

flyingdutchdevil
12-07-2015, 12:03 PM
I like these guys. Sports are supposed to be fun. These kids never play, their antics show that they are following the game very closely. It brings the program publicity, I see no harm. I don't question K's "all business" approach but I don't think every team has to be that way.

Here's a little trivia...the late 80s Steve Kerr/Sean Elliott Arizona Wildcats had a bench who, while not as choreographed as the Monmouth bench, was known for its exuberant celebrating. What were they known as?

Second. If you're on the bench, you're #1 goal is to support your teammates. You second goal? Have a little fun! I'm sure that these antics are appreciated by the full rotation and provide the starters with motivation. I don't think they are gunning for TV-time - they began doing these antics before the TV even picked them up! The vast, vast majority of walk-ons - including Duke's - are full-time cheerleaders who play basketball. I think Monmouth are just being creative with their cheerleading.

Ichabod Drain
12-07-2015, 12:11 PM
They're in college. Have fun and make memories. They're not hurting anyone. If their coach didn't like it I'm sure they wouldn't be doing it.

BD80
12-07-2015, 01:08 PM
... Here's a little trivia...the late 80s Steve Kerr/Sean Elliott Arizona Wildcats had a bench who, while not as choreographed as the Monmouth bench, was known for its exuberant celebrating. What were they known as?

I have a guess which is a play on the 'cats mascot, but it probably won't make it past the filter

Billy Dat
12-07-2015, 01:35 PM
I have a guess which is a play on the 'cats mascot, but it probably won't make it past the filter

Ha, no, it is way more G-rated. Hint - he was just a little green slab of clay...

Edouble
12-08-2015, 10:16 AM
Ha, no, it is way more G-rated. Hint - he was just a little green slab of clay...

The Gumbies?

Billy Dat
12-08-2015, 10:53 AM
The Gumbies?

Yessir! I looked for some YouTube footage of them but didn't find it immediately. I am sure it is out there somewhere.

Dukehky
12-08-2015, 11:02 AM
Not going to be going on for long. The NCAA is going to put restrictions on bench decorum.

Ichabod Drain
12-08-2015, 11:09 AM
Not going to be going on for long. The NCAA is going to put restrictions on bench decorum.

I believe this was a false report. Apparently someone inquired with the NCAA whether it what the Monmouth bench was doing was ok and the NCAA said it was fine.

BD80
12-08-2015, 12:02 PM
I believe this was a false report. Apparently someone inquired with the NCAA whether it what the Monmouth bench was doing was ok and the NCAA said it was fine.

In fact, go to the NCAA website and you can buy a DVD of the greatest "hits."

In development is a video game where you can be one of the bench players and throw out your own creative celebration, chosen from a drop down menu. You can also choose hair style and length and shoe color!

I think it is just a rumor that there is another video game in development - a first person shooter where you get to target the bench during the antics.

El_Diablo
12-09-2015, 01:57 PM

Nah, that was just the famous clown Jay Bilas doing his thing (i.e., spreading false anti-NCAA rumors):

http://www.app.com/story/sports/college/monmouth-university/2015/12/07/monmouth-bench-mob-ncaa-rule-change-says-no/76951230/

In related news, a source says that Bilas has become so embarrassed by his general lack of credibility that he has resorted to drinking his own pee. Remember, it's about the hydration!

huey
12-15-2015, 10:47 AM
Don't look now if you aren't a fan of the bench fun:
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14368815

They're jousting?!? Ha, and I think this is all against one opponent. They could probably get a full course credit at some nearby University for the amount of effort they're putting into it.

weezie
12-15-2015, 11:52 AM
... a source says that Bilas has become so embarrassed by his general lack of credibility that he has resorted to drinking his own pee. Remember, it's about the hydration!

Oh come now, El, really! Good grief!

Actually yelled laughing at this. I'm starting to hope Monmouth makes it into Duke's bracket. But yeah, the 'No-Fun Allowed'CAA will probably shut it all down.

Edouble
12-15-2015, 03:46 PM

They're jousting?!? Ha, and I think this is all against one opponent. They could probably get a full course credit at some nearby University for the amount of effort they're putting into it.

I looked.

Maybe if these guys spent more time working on their games and less time working on their sideline routines, they wouldn't spend so much time on the bench.

JBDuke
12-15-2015, 06:51 PM
Monmouth plays at Georgetown tonight, and part of the Washington Post's preview was a feature on the bench antics. Here's the article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/12/14/at-monmouth-basketball-games-the-bench-warmers-are-the-cool-kids/

Note that two of the four are walk-ons, and the other two rarely play. Their teammates appreciate it, their coach likes it, the crowd LOVES it, and even the NCAA seems to be okay with it. Here's a quote from the article:

But the NCAA never actually considered changing rules in the middle of the season, NCAA Director of Media Coordination David Worlock said. There was internal discussion to clarify the existing rule, but NCAA officials quickly determined they would continue to allow Monmouth’s celebrations.

“Not only in my position with the NCAA, but also me as a fan of the sport, this is what college basketball is clamoring for,” Worlock said. “This is a great thing. For anybody to want to rain on this parade, it would have been ridiculous.”

Personally, I think it's great. And I don't care if King Rice is the coach.

weezie
12-15-2015, 08:54 PM
Michelangelo, "The Creation" now they're really cooking!

Pghdukie
12-15-2015, 10:11 PM
Monmouth did a number on Georgetown tonight.Maybe we should start paying more attention to on the court instead of off the court. Nope.

Olympic Fan
12-16-2015, 02:30 AM
Monmouth did a number on Georgetown tonight.Maybe we should start paying more attention to on the court instead of off the court. Nope.

Monmouth has beaten UCLA (in Pauley), Notre Dame, Southern Cal and now at Georgetown (by 15 points). I'm not sure who else has a resume that good -- well, let me rephrase that. I don't know who has four wins that good. They do have three losses (at Southern Cal -- yeah, they played them twice -- Dayton and at Canisius). They are in one of the weakest conferences in Division 1 (the Metro Atlantic) -- a league that NEVER gets two bids. But their non-conference wins might make that possible, if they dominate the MAAC regular season, then get upset in the conference tourney.

FWIW, Monmouth is currently No. 34 in the RPI, but that will sink when they get in conference play.

As for their antics -- I saw "The Creation of Adam" tonight on ESPN ... I'm not usually a fan o choreographed celebrations, but that one was absolutely brilliant:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/monmouth-hawks-bench-mob-reenacts-michelangelo-s-creation-of-adam-in-win-over-georgetown-121515

n8lbs
12-16-2015, 07:26 AM
I'm starting to hope Monmouth makes it into Duke's bracket.
I hope they do too so that Duke can crush them. I have no love for the antics of low major basketball teams after our two first round exits this decade.

weezie
12-16-2015, 08:13 AM
I hope they do too so that Duke can crush them. I have no love for the antics of low major basketball teams...

Oh, I know we would play well but it's kind of fun to see college kids act like college kids. Kind of old fashioned. It'll be shut down you can bank on that.

n8lbs
12-16-2015, 08:47 AM
Oh, I know we would play well but it's kind of fun to see college kids act like college kids. Kind of old fashioned. It'll be shut down you can bank on that.
My lawn, get off it.

elvis14
12-16-2015, 08:57 AM
Lets see a bunch of kids who go to school and play a game are having fun hamming it up on the bench while supporting their teammates? That's awesome! It's a game, they are kids, it supposed to be fun and if the fans love it, even better! Here's for Monmouth having a great season and their bench warmers to keep having fun and enjoying their moment in the sun.

Your kids can come play on my lawn anytime. Tell them I have snacks and drinks if they want them and that my kids will be out to join them shortly!

Indoor66
12-16-2015, 09:36 AM
Lets see a bunch of kids who go to school and play a game are having fun hamming it up on the bench while supporting their teammates? That's awesome! It's a game, they are kids, it supposed to be fun and if the fans love it, even better! Here's for Monmouth having a great season and their bench warmers to keep having fun and enjoying their moment in the sun.

Your kids can come play on my lawn anytime. Tell them I have snacks and drinks if they want them and that my kids will be out to join them shortly!

I'm with you, elvis. Isn't basketball a game? Don't we play games to have fun? I watch and go to games for fun. Why all the beitching about kids having fun?

Billy Dat
12-16-2015, 11:28 AM
Michelangelo, "The Creation" now they're really cooking!

EPIC! These kids are great, plus their team is really good.

duke2x
12-16-2015, 12:47 PM
I hope they do too so that Duke can crush them. I have no love for the antics of low major basketball teams after our two first round exits this decade.

If they get in, they probably won't be the right seed. There's only a 1/32 chance for the first round (or current second round). Since at least some of the group will be back next year, I just see ESPN calling Duke to "encourage" a Monmouth game in Cameron while school is in session. It would make for better TV than Duke-Buffalo/GSU/Siena, etc.

Olympic Fan
12-16-2015, 01:00 PM

As I said, I usually don't enjoy choreographed celebrations ... but I don't really mind unless the antics are designed to demean or taunt the other team of their fans.

There is a difference between what the Monmouth kids are doing and the kind of things UNC did in Dean's last years -- the throat slashing, the standing on chairs and waving towels at the fans and the like. I'll take re-enacting The Creation of Adam any time.

Edouble
12-16-2015, 01:08 PM
I'm with you, elvis. Isn't basketball a game? Don't we play games to have fun? I watch and go to games for fun. Why all the beitching about kids having fun?

Because it stinks of the "Look at me, look at me, look at me", selfie-taking, I'm-desperate-for-my-15-seconds-of-viral-fame, Millennial attitude that I personally find to be a big turnoff.

It doesn't seem to be done for the sake of fun, it seems to be done out of a need for attention.

Indoor66
12-16-2015, 01:15 PM
Because it stinks of the "Look at me, look at me, look at me", selfie-taking, I'm-desperate-for-my-15-seconds-of-viral-fame, Millennial attitude that I personally find to be a big turnoff.

It doesn't seem to be done for the sake of fun, it seems to be done out of a need for attention.

I don't see the Monmouth bench in that light. I see creative kids having fun - kinda like our Cameron Crazies we are so proud of.

Edouble
12-16-2015, 01:22 PM
I don't see the Monmouth bench in that light. I see creative kids having fun - kinda like our Cameron Crazies we are so proud of.

The two are different to me... a group of 1500+, often unidentifiable (painted faces, hats, costumes) noise makers forming an amoeba-like mass vs. 4-5 identifiable, scripted performers.

elvis14
12-16-2015, 01:45 PM

I agree with Indoor66, kids having fun and getting Crazie!

Ichabod Drain
12-16-2015, 02:10 PM

Those dang millennials. Someone should have raised them better.

flyingdutchdevil
12-16-2015, 02:22 PM
Those dang millennials. Someone should have raised them better.

Maybe all fans should just watch the game in silence instead of cheering on their team. It would make it all that much better...

I love these Monmouth guys. And the program is probably getting more recognition in the last 2 months than they have in the last 2 decades. So good for the coach, good for the team, good for the program, and good for the walk-ons.

Lastly, get off my lawn!

fidel
12-16-2015, 02:37 PM

Sounds like what people said when the slam dunk first came into play. Or long shorts. Or t-shirts under the jersey.

Well, except for the selfie-taking-viral-fame-Millennial-attitude part, but you get my point.

As long as it doesn't interfere with the game, its just fun.

BD80
12-16-2015, 03:29 PM
The two are different to me... a group of 1500+, often unidentifiable (painted faces, hats, costumes) noise makers forming an amoeba-like mass vs. 4-5 identifiable, scripted performers.

Cheer sheet = script

huey
12-16-2015, 04:23 PM

Such creativity. Maybe they're part art-majors. Monmouth puts on great, affordable plays if anyone happens to be in the area...

weezie
12-16-2015, 04:56 PM
Sounds like what people said when the slam dunk first came into play. Or long shorts...

And whaddya know?! LeBron is bringing back shorter shorts. He's got a ways to go but that's funny, too.

jacone21
12-16-2015, 05:12 PM
I wonder if they'll reenact Fonzie jumping the shark. I'm thinking late January would be about the right time.

Edouble
12-16-2015, 05:41 PM
Maybe all fans should just watch the game in silence instead of cheering on their team. It would make it all that much better...

Ugh, a straw man.

I have no problem with the bench players cheering for their team, in fact, that is precisely what I think they should be doing.

Maybe all fans should joust instead of cheering for their team. It would make the game that much more fun.

Sounds like what people said when the slam dunk first came into play. Or long shorts. Or t-shirts under the jersey.

Well, except for the selfie-taking-viral-fame-Millennial-attitude part, but you get my point.

As long as it doesn't interfere with the game, its just fun.

Well, no, I don't get your point. You are describing the things are all bringing attention to what is going on in the game. These guys are on the bench! Completely different. They are siphoning attention away from the game onto themselves.

Cheer sheet = script

Cheer sheets are stupid. I am embarrassed to say that I tented with the people that invented them. I was silent about how I felt about them at the time, and for that I apologize.

JNort
12-16-2015, 08:13 PM
Ugh, a straw man.

I have no problem with the bench players cheering for their team, in fact, that is precisely what I think they should be doing.

Maybe all fans should joust instead of cheering for their team. It would make the game that much more fun.

Well, no, I don't get your point. You are describing the things are all bringing attention to what is going on in the game. These guys are on the bench! Completely different. They are siphoning attention away from the game onto themselves.

Cheer sheets are stupid. I am embarrassed to say that I tented with the people that invented them. I was silent about how I felt about them at the time, and for that I apologize.

You keep saying it is taking attention away from the game but I have yet to see that. They have to my knowledge only done it at certain times during the games and the camera may pan off the part where a ball is in bounded (big miss that is) or brought up the court. These skits take nothing away from the game. The game is supposed to be first and foremost about fun and these guys are making it more so.

Pghdukie
12-16-2015, 08:23 PM
As long as they DO NOT interfere with the actual play on the court, who cares ! If your watching the bench, then your not concerned with the action on the court.

Edouble
12-16-2015, 09:14 PM
As long as they DO NOT interfere with the actual play on the court, who cares ! If your watching the bench, then your not concerned with the action on the court.

You're better off watching your grammar around these parts.

Henderson
12-16-2015, 09:39 PM
I'm an old fart, and I want those guys on my lawn.

If they bring girls and beer.

Oops. Mrs. H says just beer.