PDA

View Full Version : Assemble YOUR Best Starting 5 w/the Best Blue Devil Player Ever by Position

KYtotheCore
11-29-2015, 07:13 PM
Did this on my home board, and it's yielded some decent perspectives and debate. One thing I love about this board is that you all debate very civilly.

There can be no indecision or ties between player x or y at that position. Only one. You can use any current or former Duke player.

Your best pg., sg, sf, pf & c from Duke.

I look forward to your lineups and subsequent discussions. Thanks in advance!

sagegrouse
11-29-2015, 07:17 PM
Did this on my home board, and it's yielded some decent perspectives and debate. One thing I love about this board is that you all debate very civilly.

There can be no indecision or ties between player x or y at that position. Only one. You can use any current or former Duke player.

Your best pg., sg, sf, pf & c from Duke.

I look forward to your lineups and subsequent discussions. Thanks in advance!

Dear KY: This is usually an off-season topic.

KYtotheCore
11-29-2015, 07:26 PM

Oh, OK. I guess that's a difference between the schools. In KY there's no "off season". It becomes "recruiting season". :D My apologies.

sagegrouse
11-29-2015, 07:35 PM
Oh, OK. I guess that's a difference between the schools. In KY there's no "off season". It becomes "recruiting season". :D My apologies.

Hey, that was my reaction. Others are welcome to play. It's a good topic.

brevity
11-29-2015, 07:39 PM

Good reply.

In KY there's no "off season".

Better reply.

KYtotheCore
11-29-2015, 07:39 PM
Hey, that was my reaction. Others are welcome to play. It's a good topic.

Ok, gotcha . . . I decided to post the same topic here due to your all's former teams/players. Granted, I'm not as up on Duke's teams (pre-Hurley, Laettner, etc), but I'm certain there will be a tremendous challenge to select ONE per position. BTW, I get the feeling you all will soon see "off season" dissolve as well, with the recruits you're pursuing and landing!

hurleyfor3
11-29-2015, 08:08 PM
Congratulations, you've created a thread so ill-timed a mod came out of retirement to lock it.

OldPhiKap
11-29-2015, 08:09 PM
Ok, gotcha . . . I decided to post the same topic here due to your all's former teams/players. Granted, I'm not as up on Duke's teams (pre-Hurley, Laettner, etc), but I'm certain there will be a tremendous challenge to select ONE per position. BTW, I get the feeling you all will soon see "off season" dissolve as well, with the recruits you're pursuing and landing!

No problem with the question, and I am sure there are a few buried threads on it. But I don't mind playing. If I had to field a team with just K's players (no disrespect to the great players before, just hard to compare for me) I could live with:

PG: JWill (although could not argue with Hurley, Amaker, or Kyrie who may have eclipsed them all with a healthy season. Tyus Stones obviously a great choice).

SG: Johnny Dawkins (although cannot argue with JJ. If you let me put Grayson Allen in this spot and give me a full career, I'd say he could be an all-timer)

SF: Grant Hill (too many others to list, And our SF position is often a big guard. As K likes to say, we don't play positions to a large degree. Plug for Billy King because he deserves it).

PF: Shane Battier. May be more prolific scorers (Dunleavy, Ryan Kelly, Danny Ferry) there is no one I would rather have leading on the floor at win time.

C: love Okafor, Brand, Sheldon Williams,catch. But Christian Laettner just simply refused to lose. That's the guy I want in my foxhole.

Again, no disrespect to Dick Groat, Jeff Spenarkel, Gene Banks, G-man, Art Heyman [arguably the most important recruit of the modern era for Duke], and a host of all-conference players I did not name in this brief line-up. But give me those five and I am ready to play.

Oiled love to know your KY starting line-up, and apologize in advance for the inevitable "this isn't a Kentucky board" response some may have. But these are two of the most storied programs in history. And plus I don't have any real antagonism towards Ky. After all -- Laettner hit the shot. ;-)

(Sorry kinda for the last point, but -- it does affect my world view of the issue).

And I am sure there will be other line-ups suggested that will make me reconsider.