PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations DeMarcus Nelson

Bob Green
09-28-2007, 11:54 PM
Congratulations to DeMarcus Nelson, last season's leading scorer and Co-MVP, on being named Captain of the 2007-2008 Blue Devils.

Ignatius07
09-29-2007, 02:19 AM
Who were captains last year? I know D-Marc and McRoberts were, but there was a third also (I want to say Paulus), meaning somebody has been de-captain-ized from last year to this year. Has that ever happened?

Cali-Duke
09-29-2007, 04:23 AM
paulus was the third captain

kramerbr
09-29-2007, 10:37 AM
Who were captains last year? I know D-Marc and McRoberts were, but there was a third also (I want to say Paulus), meaning somebody has been de-captain-ized from last year to this year. Has that ever happened?

Who's going to be de-captain-ized? McRoberts is gone so that means someone new will be added as captain along with Paulus and Nelson. I would say McClure or Lance.

bdh21
09-29-2007, 10:43 AM
Who's going to be de-captain-ized? McRoberts is gone so that means someone new will be added as captain along with Paulus and Nelson. I would say McClure or Lance.

DMarc will be the only captain next year per the goduke.com article. Paulus is being de-captain-ized. I thought that was a little surprising. After the strides he made last year and the support offered to him by both K and the team, it seems a peculiar vote of confidence to strip him of his captaincy.

But then again it's easy to read way to much into this. DMarc will make a fine captain and Paulus will still be a vocal leader of this team even if he isn't a "captain."

mapei
09-29-2007, 11:09 AM
I interpret it as K honoring his senior, but if I were Paulus I'd definitely feel a bit weird about it.

Ignatius07
09-29-2007, 11:12 AM
Agreed. I doubt it's anything malicious, hopefully Coach K spoke to Paulus privately about the decision to explain. Maybe K thought that the title of "captain" added more/unnecessary pressure to the guy who already has the most on the team.

Oriole Way
09-29-2007, 03:31 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if K is using this as a motivational challenge for Paulus. I can imagine Coach K telling the media "I told Greg that you have to earn being a captain".

I predict that Paulus will be made a co-captain before the start of the ACC season, if his play warrants it.

Waynne
09-29-2007, 09:43 PM
I think Coach K definitely is sending a motivational message to Greg- see the DBR post about Barry Jacobs' talk with Greg. The "hard talk" K had with an unspecified player after the team's 4-8 finish last year probably was with Greg, and the fact he will not be a captain at the beginning of the season should be a huge motivational factor for a warrior like Greg. If he stays healthy and focused, Paulus could have a very satisfying year proving all his detractors wrong.

micah75
09-30-2007, 08:00 AM
I think Coach K definitely is sending a motivational message to Greg- see the DBR post about Barry Jacobs' talk with Greg. The "hard talk" K had with an unspecified player after the team's 4-8 finish last year probably was with Greg, and the fact he will not be a captain at the beginning of the season should be a huge motivational factor for a warrior like Greg. If he stays healthy and focused, Paulus could have a very satisfying year proving all his detractors wrong.

Greg definitely is a warrior, no doubt about that. And I feel pretty sure that Coach K is counting on him to help lead this team. Coach also knows that Greg is always up for a challenge and is not the type to pansy down. So, I would have to agree with your assessment. If Josh had returned for his Junior season, would he have been stripped of Captain status as well, alongside Greg? At any rate, I have to believe that this development is in large part motivational and is not set in stone. Greg has the talent and grit to earn back his Captain honors as the season progresses. IMO. But Coach K is raising the bar. Will Greg rise to the occasion? We shall see. Stay tuned.

micah75
09-30-2007, 08:06 AM
The "hard talk" K had with an unspecified player after the team's 4-8 finish last year probably was with Greg

I had been wondering about that. I was sort of thinking the same thing.

Classof06
09-30-2007, 04:58 PM
This is why Coach K is the man. I think this is clearly meant to send a message to Paulus. And if it takes something like this to light a fire under Greg's behind (and I think it will), then so be it. I like this move a lot. No matter how well Paulus played towards the end of last year, I would have been a little uneasy had Krzyzewski just handed the captaincy back to Greg.

Like I've said before, I think this is an extremely crucial season for Paulus and I think Krzyzewski senses as much. I think he wants to make sure he has Greg's full attention and this was certainly the way to do it. I think this will serve as motivation for Paulus (as if he needed any more motivation) and this will help Duke over the course of the season.

mapei
09-30-2007, 06:48 PM
Let's hope it improves Nelson's play as well!

Indoor66
09-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Let's hope it improves Nelson's play as well!

IMO that is uncalled for.

mgtr
09-30-2007, 07:21 PM
Nelson could probably play smarter at times, but nobody plays harder.

mapei
09-30-2007, 11:06 PM
Hey, the guy has made a lot of mistakes and turnovers, especially in the paint, along with his very good points. I'm hardly the first to say so, and I don't think it is out of line to say that I hope his coach's vote of confidence helps him pick it up.

I agree that he plays very hard.

Personally, I think all the repeated slams on this board at McRoberts are unjustified, but I don't slam someone's right to express their opinion.

SilkyJ
10-01-2007, 01:44 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if K is using this as a motivational challenge for Paulus. I can imagine Coach K telling the media "I told Greg that you have to earn being a captain".

I predict that Paulus will be made a co-captain before the start of the ACC season, if his play warrants it.

I agree, and even if it isn't by the start of the acc season, it will be shortly thereafter.

I hadn't heard about this talk, but I would imagine Greg would be the guy to have it with. With his shooting he has the ability to be such a weapon if he can bring down the turnovers and up the assists, even if only just a little, and I think the combination of being 100% healthy along with another year of experience and off-season of training should be enough for Greg to provide a big impact...hopefully on both sides of the ball.

pfrduke
10-01-2007, 08:53 AM

Don't be too sensitive. Hoping that someone's play improves is not a slam on them. Quite frankly, I hope every season that each one of our players improves, regardless of the caliber of season they had the year before. I would think that we all do.

trinity92
10-01-2007, 10:48 AM

DeMarcus is a good kid, but unless his injuries have completely ruined his game, and he's finally recovered, from what we've seen, he's basically a short Nate James with a better handle and a bit more range. I really wish he'd be our all-purpose guy like Nate was instead of the focal point he's become. He should be a starter, but I don't think we can win running the offense through him.

There's no mean-spiritedness in pointing out a fact. Think he'd be insulted if we pointed out he's 6-4?

riverside6
10-01-2007, 11:08 AM
DeMarcus is a good kid, but unless his injuries have completely ruined his game, and he's finally recovered, from what we've seen, he's basically a short Nate James with a better handle and a bit more range. I really wish he'd be our all-purpose guy like Nate was instead of the focal point he's become. He should be a starter, but I don't think we can win running the offense through him.

There's no mean-spiritedness in pointing out a fact. Think he'd be insulted if we pointed out he's 6-4?
I completely agree with you. I know it's not a popular assertion around this board, but to go all biblical, for Duke to succeed, Demarcus Nelson (http://www.scacchoops.com/forms/players.asp?search=demarcus nelson) must decrease and Gerald Henderson (http://www.scacchoops.com/forms/players.asp?search=gerald henderson) must increase.

I think trinity makes a good point that Nelson is a much better 2nd or 3rd scorer than he is a guy that can be the focus of the offense. One reason Gerald Henderson's play in the UNC game last year was so exciting to me (and others), is that he showed he could be the focus of the offense.

Of course this doesn't mean that Nelson is not a very important player to this team, so please don't put words in my mouth there.

greybeard
10-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Personally, I can't imagine Paulus needing any further motivation. Maybe a better foot, but, motivation, I don't think so.

Anybody wondering if this has to do with the progress of the foot, or tentative plans for playing time, whether the foot is an issue or not?

Talking about feet, and I am not trying to change the topic, ran into Ritchie Moran at a Cornell football game this weekend. Moran, for those of you who don't know, coached Cornell to I believe 4 of the first five NCAA lax tournaments held. Anyway, I brought up my favorite topic. Moran said in his 31 one years of coaching he had his guys work on their feet on slanted boards; had no "serious" ankle injuries through the years, and only one knee injury caused during indoor training (in Ithaca, it's almost all indoor) when the coaches forgot to block off the pitcher's mound. Also, a big advocate of skier's type training.

wilson
10-01-2007, 12:48 PM
I know it's not a popular assertion around this board, but to go all biblical, for Duke to succeed, Demarcus Nelson (http://www.scacchoops.com/forms/players.asp?search=demarcus nelson) must decrease and Gerald Henderson (http://www.scacchoops.com/forms/players.asp?search=gerald henderson) must increase.

I think trinity makes a good point that Nelson is a much better 2nd or 3rd scorer than he is a guy that can be the focus of the offense. One reason Gerald Henderson's play in the UNC game last year was so exciting to me (and others), is that he showed he could be the focus of the offense.

Of course this doesn't mean that Nelson is not a very important player to this team, so please don't put words in my mouth there.

That sentiment is more popular than you might think. Demarcus' shot, imo, is pretty average, and while his handle is good at times, he made lots of, shall we say, interesting decisions to drive at key times last year, arriving at or near the basket seemingly still not having made up his mind exactly what he hoped to do.
I think some of his pressing stemmed from the fact that last year's team was so offensively challenged. It seemed obvious that at one time or another, just about everyone on the team tried a bit too hard to be a hero. I view the captaincy as an affirmation of Demarcus' strengths and his importance to the team. Along with his leadership skills comes a charge to understand the best role for him to play for the team, and I agree that #1 scorer is not the best use for him.

SilkyJ
10-01-2007, 01:42 PM
I think some of his pressing stemmed from the fact that last year's team was so offensively challenged. It seemed obvious that at one time or another, just about everyone on the team tried a bit too hard to be a hero.

Well said. And hopefully his handle and decision making have both improved a little.

I view the captaincy as an affirmation of Demarcus' strengths and his importance to the team. Along with his leadership skills comes a charge to understand the best role for him to play for the team, and I agree that #1 scorer is not the best use for him.

And as with all coack K teams, defense comes first and Demarcus' size and strength make him such an asset in that regard as he can typically guard positions 1-3, and as we know, sometimes the 4. Not to mention his hussle and rebounding. Those are all qualities you want in your captain.

Troublemaker
10-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Don't read too much into this. Duke has added captains in-season in the past, and I expect that we will do so again this season. Markie, as the sole senior, deserves to start the season as the sole captain. Greg will be added as a captain later on in the year.

bdh21
10-01-2007, 05:28 PM
Here's a legitimate question: Will DMarc lead the team in rebounding this year?
If not, who and how many is he bested by?

bdh21
10-01-2007, 05:30 PM
I could imagine a scenario in which DMarc pulls down 5.5 boards a game and Zoubek, Lance, & Singler each grab 4-5.49 rebounds.

It may not be likely, but at least its possible...

mgtr
10-01-2007, 06:04 PM
And, assuming he stays healthy, McClure is a pretty darn good rebounder.

SilkyJ
10-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Here's a legitimate question: Will DMarc lead the team in rebounding this year?
If not, who and how many is he bested by?

very legit question. I don't think so, and if he does, we are in trouble. I could see Singler leading from a purely minutes standpoint as I see him getting the most minutes out of any of our post players...but for optimism's sake, I'm going to say Zoubek...if he isn't our #1 rebounder, especially given his Reb per minute average last year, then I think we are in trouble....

And, assuming he stays healthy, McClure is a pretty darn good rebounder.

another good point...the problem here, again, is minutes. But I think he will play more than most think. I was talking with a friend about our new found problem of having too much depth and I realized something that could benefit McClure is this area. With all the scoring threats we will have, we can put McClure out there as a defender and rebounder and not even worry about him scoring because we have tons of offensive weapons and so scoring shouldn't be a problem this year. We don't need points out of him or whoever would play his minutes instead, so we might as well put in someone who can defend multiple positions, has experience, and can really rebound...this is all assuming his knee is 100%...

greybeard
10-01-2007, 06:34 PM
My guess, the ones you need down the stretch, look for McClure and Nelson to be huge on the defensive boards, especially for their size. I also think that McClure might be on the court less this year, that less will be asked of him in terms of guarding the ball, and that, as a consequence, you might well see some inside (15 feet in) scoring from him that you did not see last year.

Seems like K has had other guys like him who in their early years focused exclusively on defense and rebounding and then spread their wings and contributed offensively as upper classmen. With fresher legs and less responsibility to anchor the defense on the exterior, he could be a very different offensive player. Or not.

riverside6
10-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Our projection system (http://www.scacchoops.com/forms/StatProjections.asp?sTeam=DU&Season=2008#) which is only for returning players actually has Demarcus at exactly 5.5 rpg.

speedevil
10-02-2007, 01:03 AM
what's Nelson chances of making it in the nba next year?
1st round draft pick, 2nd round, or non drafted free agent pick up?
right now nbadraft.net has him listed in 2nd round.
I think a team will draft him in the 2nd round, then its up to him to make the team or try to get a gauranteed contract like McRoberts.

Bob Green
10-02-2007, 03:03 AM
DeMarcus Nelson will probably get drafted in the 2nd round, but I would rather have this discussion in mid-April.

Right now I am focused on the upcoming start of practice and the health status of our 11 scholarship players.

gw67
10-02-2007, 07:54 AM
When does practice officially start? Has anyone heard whether Zoubek, McClure and Nelson will be ready?

gw67

riverside6
10-02-2007, 08:04 AM
Practice can begin October 15th.

jacone21
10-02-2007, 09:07 AM
...I think some of his pressing stemmed from the fact that last year's team was so offensively challenged....

I think this year's version of the Devils can suffer from the same challenges. To me that is likey a key this year. The individual talent will simply not allow K's "go out there and make a play" offense. I would like to see a more team oriented offense with an emphasis on movement and passing this year. We were sorely lacking that last year for much of the season. The speed and conditioning will be there for this team. If they can run some offense, and move the ball, good things can happen. But if they have Greg, or DeMarcus trying to break down people off the dribble with 7 seconds on the shot clock... it will be a long year. Several times last year I was wishing Gene Hackman would come in and implement the five-passes rule.

4decadedukie
10-02-2007, 01:58 PM

I generally agree, although I would not be surprised -- if Greg earns it -- that he again becomes a captain well into the ACC season. It might be wise to remember that additional "midseason" captains have been added in several recent years; I recall Lee Melchionni specifically, but there also have been others.

SilkyJ
10-02-2007, 02:23 PM
I generally agree, although I would not be surprised -- if Greg earns it -- that he again becomes a captain well into the ACC season. It might be wise to remember that additional "midseason" captains have been added in several recent years; I recall Lee Melchionni specifically, but there also have been others.

yup. K does it all the time, which is why this conversation is pretty unimportant.

Classof06
10-03-2007, 04:28 PM

My question to that would be: What did Greg do between last October and this one to have to "earn it" again?

The bottom line is that college basketball players don't just randomly go from being captain one year to not being captain the next. Even if Paulus becomes captain halfway through the season, the fact that he's not captain now means that as of today, Greg still has something to prove to Krzyzewski and the staff. If he didn't, then he'd be captain.

Not only is he the PG, but Paulus is much more vocal than Nelson to begin with, so this is deeper than Krzyzewski saying: "instead of having multiple leaders, we are looking for Demarcus to do that on his own this year". Well, I buy what Krzyzewski's saying, I just thing there's a glaring reason behind that statement: both Demarcus and Greg were captains last year, but only Nelson was consistent. Paulus aside, people on these boards who aren't sold on Demarcus (and there are some of you) really need to take another look at how much this kid did last year. Basically, based on last year's performances, I believe DN is the only one who earned the right to be captain this year. And that implies Paulus didn't do some of the things expected of him last year; no two ways around it.

SilkyJ
10-03-2007, 04:50 PM
My question to that would be: What did Greg do between last October and this one to have to "earn it" again?

The bottom line is that college basketball players don't just randomly go from being captain one year to not being captain the next. Even if Paulus becomes captain halfway through the season, the fact that he's not captain now means that as of today, Greg still has something to prove to Krzyzewski and the staff. If he didn't, then he'd be captain.

Not only is he the PG, but Paulus is much more vocal than Nelson to begin with, so this is deeper than Krzyzewski saying: "instead of having multiple leaders, we are looking for Demarcus to do that on his own this year". Well, I buy what Krzyzewski's saying, I just thing there's a glaring reason behind that statement: both Demarcus and Greg were captains last year, but only Nelson was consistent. Paulus aside, people on these boards who aren't sold on Demarcus (and there are some of you) really need to take another look at how much this kid did last year. Basically, based on last year's performances, I believe DN is the only one who earned the right to be captain this year. And that implies Paulus didn't do some of the things expected of him last year; no two ways around it.

excellent post...

Expanding on that a little: I think demarcus' attitude towards defense and rebounding definitely helped him in K's eyes. He may be a very quiet guy, but he definitely tries to lead by example.

elvis14
10-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Paulus aside, people on these boards who aren't sold on Demarcus (and there are some of you) really need to take another look at how much this kid did last year.

There is a difference between being sold on Demarcus and recognizing both this strengths and weaknesses. I don't think people that point out his weaknesses are saying they don't think he's a really good player (sold) it's just that he's not a complete player and that at times costs us because we rely oh him so much. A few examples:
strength - defense against both smalls and bigs
strength - rebounding
strength - mental fortitude, this kid just handles everything and keeps going
strength - finishing on the break
weakness - lack of court vision (often causes him to drive into traffic and get in trouble when teammates are wide open)
weakness - streaky shooting (how many times has he scored 10 points in the first 30 seconds of a game and then finish with 12?)Pointing out weaknesses doesn't mean I'm not sold on the kid. I think he's going to have a really good senior year. But I also think that if we are to win more games Demarcus and Jon will need to give some minutes to Gerald.

Is it Oct 15th yet? I can't wait for the season to begin!

ACCBBallFan
10-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Our projection system (http://www.scacchoops.com/forms/StatProjections.asp?sTeam=DU&Season=2008#) which is only for returning players actually has Demarcus at exactly 5.5 rpg.
Better go fix that projection system. No way Nick Sutten and Steve Johnson score 6.4 PPG and outscore Lance and Zoubek, though 6.2 may be OK for them.

Other than Tyler 18.1, Singletary 17.4 and Costner 17.8, not many seem projected for 15 or more, except Toney Douglas 15.6 and Trevor Booker 15.3 and the only 14.x are Rivers 14.8, Deron Washington 14.5, Cliff Hammonds 14.4 and Dickey if eligible 14.2.

Don't expect Mikalauskas from UVA to average more than 13 PPG either, same as Scheyer and more than Rice, McClinton or Gavin Grant. No one else projected over 13.0 PPG.

riverside6
10-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Better go fix that projection system. No way Nick Sutten and Steve Johnson score 6.4 PPG and outscore Lance and Zoubek, though 6.2 may be OK for them.

Other than Tyler 18.1, Singletary 17.4 and Costner 17.8, not many seem projected for 15 or more, except Toney Douglas 15.6 and Trevor Booker 15.3 and the only 14.x are Rivers 14.8, Deron Washington 14.5, Cliff Hammonds 14.4 and Dickey if eligible 14.2.

Don't expect Mikalauskas from UVA to average more than 13 PPG either, same as Scheyer and more than Rice, McClinton or Gavin Grant. No one else projected over 13.0 PPG.
Yep, that is known issue! The reason has to do with Jack McClinton's redshirt year, followed by his blowup. The system sees him as having a poor year followed by a spectacular next season. You're seeing Sutten and Johnson's numbers matched McClinton's redshirt year. The guys that played such as Zoubek and Thomas have more accurate predictions.

riverside6
10-04-2007, 09:48 AM
Yep, that is known issue! The reason has to do with Jack McClinton's redshirt year, followed by his blowup. The system sees him as having a poor year followed by a spectacular next season. You're seeing Sutten and Johnson's numbers matched McClinton's redshirt year. The guys that played such as Zoubek and Thomas have more accurate predictions.
One more point, obviously it's not perfect. That being said, the premise is interesting, as it looks at the comparable players that are statistically similar to the given player, and averages out their following season.

ACCBBallFan
10-04-2007, 09:52 AM
There is a difference between being sold on Demarcus and recognizing both this strengths and weaknesses. I don't think people that point out his weaknesses are saying they don't think he's a really good player (sold) it's just that he's not a complete player and that at times costs us because we rely oh him so much. A few examples:
strength - defense against both smalls and bigs
strength - rebounding
strength - mental fortitude, this kid just handles everything and keeps going
strength - finishing on the break
weakness - lack of court vision (often causes him to drive into traffic and get in trouble when teammates are wide open)
weakness - streaky shooting (how many times has he scored 10 points in the first 30 seconds of a game and then finish with 12?)Pointing out weaknesses doesn't mean I'm not sold on the kid. I think he's going to have a really good senior year. Elvis14 is absolutely right about that last perceived weakness. (how many times has he scored 10 points in the first 30 seconds of a game and then finish with 12?)

With Nolan on board, the remedy would appear to be to sub Nolan out a couple minutes before a timeout, send him to the locker room and bring him back out for start of another streak as play commences after the timeout.

Seriously, just the occasional breather from having to go full out defending the fastest guard should help Nelson not disappear at end of games.

greybeard
10-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Elvis14 is absolutely right about that last perceived weakness. (how many times has he scored 10 points in the first 30 seconds of a game and then finish with 12?)

With Nolan on board, the remedy would appear to be to sub Nolan out a couple minutes before a timeout, send him to the locker room and bring him back out for start of another streak as play commences after the timeout.

Seriously, just the occasional breather from having to go full out defending the fastest guard should help Nelson not disappear at end of games.

My take, expressed on previous blogs, is that some of Nelson's "weaknesses" last year were caused by responsibilities that seemed to have been put on him as an upper classman. I think, don't know, that K wanted either him or Paulus taking the outside shots as the clock ran down unless Sh was in his rhythm and really felt it. P and N did not have that lucxury. N also seemed "responsible" for creating pressure on the basket, which McR by himself could not do.

With Sh and H now sophomores, and other shooters/scorers added, N might well be relieved of those responsibilities and play more in rhythm. I also think that the defensive pressure last year, which was designed to be super intense, will ease up without McRob as a backstop. I look for Nelso to be an improved shooter and scorer this season.

SilkyJ
10-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Elvis14 is absolutely right about that last perceived weakness. (how many times has he scored 10 points in the first 30 seconds of a game and then finish with 12?)

Totally agree. Hopefully greg's added quickness from a 100% foot, and the addition of nolan will take some pressure off of him.

My take, expressed on previous blogs, is that some of Nelson's "weaknesses" last year were caused by responsibilities that seemed to have been put on him as an upper classman. I think, don't know, that K wanted either him or Paulus taking the outside shots as the clock ran down unless Sh was in his rhythm and really felt it. P and N did not have that lucxury. N also seemed "responsible" for creating pressure on the basket, which McR by himself could not do.

With Sh and H now sophomores, and other shooters/scorers added, N might well be relieved of those responsibilities and play more in rhythm. I also think that the defensive pressure last year, which was designed to be super intense, will ease up without McRob as a backstop. I look for Nelso to be an improved shooter and scorer this season.

Agree with most of this too. It will be interesting to see if Greybeard is right about the pressure on the perimeter lightening up. Without that stalwart at the basket like we've had for several years now, we might get into more trouble by pressuring the ball too much, so it might make sense to ease up just a bit....but I've never seen a K coached team not overplay passing lanes and pressure to the utmost...

Classof06
10-05-2007, 01:04 PM
My take, expressed on previous blogs, is that some of Nelson's "weaknesses" last year were caused by responsibilities that seemed to have been put on him as an upper classman.

Bingo. Did Demarcus try and force the issue on offense a bit too much? There's no doubt about it. But what would you do if you were the captain of a Duke team that routinely struggled to crack 70 points a game? Especially when McRoberts didn't carry the scoring load that most all of us expected him to? I think Demarcus contributed to the success of that team more than anyone else last year, because so much was asked of him (hence the captain title). He had to guard the best perimeter player, many times the PG because Greg could not, and he also had to lead the team in scoring and was 2nd on our team in rebounding. I think you see a significant improvement in Nelson's game this year, because (hopefully) he won't have to carry the load he did last year.