PDA

View Full Version : last night's anthem

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-26-2015, 09:53 AM
Beautifully done by the soldier! He had pipes and it was clear he'd had good voice training to go along with boot camp! I thought it was moving and most appropriate. Coach's big hug for him at the end was wonderful.

I only wish the crazies had chanted for him to sit with them. I got the impression that it would have thrilled him.
Happy Thanksgiving everybody.
Love, Ima

jimsumner
11-26-2015, 11:51 AM
Beautifully done by the soldier! He had pipes and it was clear he'd had good voice training to go along with boot camp! I thought it was moving and most appropriate. Coach's big hug for him at the end was wonderful.

I only wish the crazies had chanted for him to sit with them. I got the impression that it would have thrilled him.
Love, Ima

If only he had remembered all the words.

Henderson
11-26-2015, 06:28 PM
If only he had remembered all the words.

It's been worse.

On the evening of Tuesday October 16, 1990, the Cincinnati Reds were getting ready to face the Oakland A's in Game 1 of the World Series. Cincinnati Red's owner Marge Schott decided to welcome fans from the pitcher's mound. The first Gulf War had begun just 10 weeks earlier. With the cameras rolling, Marge said to the world, "This game is dedicated to our boys in the middle west."

Confused applause ensued. But there was a flyover by jets, and the crowd roared.

Then the PA announcer explained that because of an issue with TV, the ceremony would be redone.

So Marge came out again to the pitcher's mound. And this time she proclaimed, "This game is dedicated to our boys in the far east." More confused applause through a cheerful note of national pride. Jets again would have been a lot to expect.

That was 25 years ago. Ever since, I've gotten more and more tired of these endless salutes. Does anyone else ever get patriotism fatigue at sporting events?

I remember going to a play in Birmingham, Alabama in 1988 (a play, a theatrical performance), and the entire audience was invited to "stand and join in our saying of the pledge of allegiance." I thought that was pretty weird. But these endless tributes have been going on and on. It didn't used to be like that at games, did it? I mean, a little Star Spangled Banner for baseball, and we were good, right?

DukeDevil
11-26-2015, 06:42 PM
That was 25 years ago. Ever since, I've gotten more and more tired of these endless salutes. Does anyone else ever get patriotism fatigue at sporting events?

I remember going to a play in Birmingham, Alabama in 1988 (a play, a theatrical performance), and the entire audience was invited to "stand and join in our saying of the pledge of allegiance." I thought that was pretty weird. But these endless tributes have been going on and on. It didn't used to be like that at games, did it? I mean, a little Star Spangled Banner for baseball, and we were good, right?

I believe several branches of the military actually pay to have a lot of these tributes performed at games (at least in the NFL)? Sort of pseudo advertising thing.

AtlDuke72
11-26-2015, 07:36 PM
It's been worse.

I've gotten more and more tired of these endless salutes. Does anyone else ever get patriotism fatigue at sporting events?

No...

Merlindevildog91
11-26-2015, 07:56 PM

Love, Ima

I'm FB friends with him. His name is SSGT Tony Cooper and he is a HUGE Duke fan. This is one of the highlights of his life.

mbwalker
11-26-2015, 10:49 PM
I believe several branches of the military actually pay to have a lot of these tributes performed at games (at least in the NFL)? Sort of pseudo advertising thing.

Over $6 million paid to NFL teams for military "tributes": http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/05/which_nfl_teams_are_getting_your_federal_tax_dolla .html

jv001
11-27-2015, 10:04 AM
It's been worse.

On the evening of Tuesday October 16, 1990, the Cincinnati Reds were getting ready to face the Oakland A's in Game 1 of the World Series. Cincinnati Red's owner Marge Schott decided to welcome fans from the pitcher's mound. The first Gulf War had begun just 10 weeks earlier. With the cameras rolling, Marge said to the world, "This game is dedicated to our boys in the middle west."

Confused applause ensued. But there was a flyover by jets, and the crowd roared.

Then the PA announcer explained that because of an issue with TV, the ceremony would be redone.

So Marge came out again to the pitcher's mound. And this time she proclaimed, "This game is dedicated to our boys in the far east." More confused applause through a cheerful note of national pride. Jets again would have been a lot to expect.

Hendo, where did you serve and which branch of service? No, I don't get tired of endless salutes and I love the National Anthem when done in correctly. Call me old school, but it's God, family and country for me. GoDuke and God bless the USA!

Henderson
11-27-2015, 11:09 AM
Hendo, where did you serve and which branch of service? No, I don't get tired of endless salutes and I love the National Anthem when done in correctly. Call me old school, but it's God, family and country for me. GoDuke and God bless the USA!

I served in the branch that generated tax dollars to help pay for all this, including the ads that the armed services pay for to advertise themselves. But I do understand the natural desire to be honored over and over. I don't fault you for it. Must be cool. But from this fan's perspective, it gets old. And if these "tributes" are paid for by the US Military, it gets a little weird.

Peace brother.

jv001
11-27-2015, 12:15 PM
I served in the branch that generated tax dollars to help pay for all this, including the ads that the armed services pay for to advertise themselves. But I do understand the natural desire to be honored over and over. I don't fault you for it. Must be cool. But from this fan's perspective, it gets old. And if these "tributes" are paid for by the US Military, it gets a little weird.

Peace brother.

My Duke brother, I'm not upset with you at all, but I don't have the natural desire to be honored over and over again. On the contrary, I do have the natural desire to see my fallen comrades get honored over and over again. Unless you've served in a hostile environment while serving your country, it's hard to understand the way I feel. I lost fellow soldiers while serving and I'm proud to see those men and women honored each and every time there is a fly over. As for the $$$ spent by the military, maybe we should go back to the draft and save some of those bucks. Then again, there is way more waste in DC than those $$$$ spent by the military. But that subject is for another board. GoDuke!

-jk
11-27-2015, 06:54 PM
My Duke brother, I'm not upset with you at all, but I don't have the natural desire to be honored over and over again. On the contrary, I do have the natural desire to see my fallen comrades get honored over and over again. Unless you've served in a hostile environment while serving your country, it's hard to understand the way I feel. I lost fellow soldiers while serving and I'm proud to see those men and women honored each and every time there is a fly over. As for the $$$ spent by the military, maybe we should go back to the draft and save some of those bucks. Then again, there is way more waste in DC than those $$$$ spent by the military. But that subject is for another board. GoDuke!

I can see how those tribute dollars are in the advertising budget. It might make some of us nostalgic, some of us a little squeamish, but might make some others gung-ho. Obviously the military branches want the gung-ho response from their (preferred young) demographic, as well as some nostalgia from those too old, but they're focusing on that demographic who'll enlist...

The military - it's a business these days. (OK: I don't want the draft back; I have kids...)

-jk

oldnavy
11-28-2015, 08:38 AM

Peace brother.

I see where you are coming from, but I don't get tired of them. I suspect a certain amount of the ongoing tributes in addition to the advertisement opportunity, is an attempt to reconcile the horrible way we treated the Vietnam era service men and women... but that is just my guess.

I will admit to feeling a bit.... what's the word, eh... feeling "awkward" at times when asked to stand at these evens for applause.... I never have been very comfortable with doing that.

I guess it's because I don't really feel like I've done anything to be recognized for.... I did my duty and it was a honor to do it, and I loved doing it!!

I am certainly not unappreciative when these tributes are done, but I do feel (and this is MY personal feeling) that it isn't necessary to thank me, but at the same time I love thanking others for their service and sacrifice. Weird?

I'd much rather see the support come in the form of how "we" through our elected representatives "treat" the Vets and wounded warriors... a lot is being done, but their is so much more that needs to be done to improve the care these hero's have available to them....

Applause is nice, but when as a Vet I am constantly having my benefits whittled away by increasing fees/co-pays and decreasing access... well that stings more than the applause soothes.

jv001
11-28-2015, 09:10 AM
I see where you are coming from, but I don't get tired of them. I suspect a certain amount of the ongoing tributes in addition to the advertisement opportunity, is an attempt to reconcile the horrible way we treated the Vietnam era service men and women... but that is just my guess.

I will admit to feeling a bit... what's the word, eh... feeling "awkward" at times when asked to stand at these evens for applause... I never have been very comfortable with doing that.

I guess it's because I don't really feel like I've done anything to be recognized for... I did my duty and it was a honor to do it, and I loved doing it!!

I am certainly not unappreciative when these tributes are done, but I do feel (and this is MY personal feeling) that it isn't necessary to thank me, but at the same time I love thanking others for their service and sacrifice. Weird?
I'd much rather see the support come in the form of how "we" through our elected representatives "treat" the Vets and wounded warriors... a lot is being done, but their is so much more that needs to be done to improve the care these hero's have available to them...

Applause is nice, but when as a Vet I am constantly having my benefits whittled away by increasing fees/co-pays and decreasing access... well that stings more than the applause soothes.

Amen! Not weird. I feel the same way you do, especially about the last bolded part of your post. GoDuke!

Tom B.
11-28-2015, 10:37 AM
Over $6 million paid to NFL teams for military "tributes": http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/05/which_nfl_teams_are_getting_your_federal_tax_dolla .html

Yeah, I'm fine with the tributes. Honoring those who serve is appropriate. The tributes that really get me are the ones where they arrange a surprise homecoming for some unsuspecting children or spouse of a service member. Hits me square in the feels every time.

I am not OK, however, with my tax dollars being paid to a club of billionaires for the privilege of putting on these tributes. Sorry, NFL, but this shouldn't be something you get to profit from.