PDA

View Full Version : Thankfulness

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-26-2015, 07:05 AM
Disclaimer: I have many non-Duke related things to be thankful for, but for the purposes of this post, let's pretend they are secondary... also, PLEASE add to this list. It is meant as a living document.

I am thankful...

- That Duke is the defending national champions of college basketball, and will be so for at least another five months

- That we have the winningest and most decorated coach in history on our sidelines who is likely winding down his career, but shows no sag in enthusiasm

- That we have a young, talented, dynamic roster full of kids who have so much to learn from the staff and one another, and stand a great chance of making a mark come March

- That I have memories of Austin Rivers' 3, Jeff Capel's heave (we lost that game, but no one ever seems to care), Laettner's shot, Zoub's free throws, and so many other euphoric moments in the last 30+ years.

Please, in the spirit of thankfulness, please add your own. Happy Turkey Day, DBR!

Furniture
11-26-2015, 07:51 AM
I am thankful that my daughter went to Duke and that her freshmen year was 2010.Otherwise I probably would never have got into basketball let alone Duke basketball. What would I be doing now instead?
The game at thanksgiving gives us the opportunity to watch a game together.....
Also thankful to all the great players I have watched and admired since then. Plus being able to learn about and admire a great leader. Coach K.

duke74
11-26-2015, 08:24 AM
Keeping with Mtn.Devil's disclaimer re addressing only Duke things to be thankful for ...

I am thankful for my time at Duke and the education and opportunity it afforded me throughout my life and career

I am thankful that my mom, a widow, let (and paid for me to) go to Duke.

I am thankful for the chance to have seen my son attend Duke (T'02) and thus have the opportunity to hang around campus again, and getting involved in the Center for Jewish Life as a board member at the time.

I am thankful for, of course, the great BB we have seen over the past decades (1970-4, eh...).

More importantly, I am thankful for a clean, well-run program lead by a great man and his staff - a source of pride to us all. We never have to cringe when we see "Duke" in a BB-related headline.

I am thankful for all the great kids...becoming men (and women, as appropriate for WBB) before our eyes and representing Duke as well as they have. Smart, dedicated, articulate, mensches...(see above item 5)

And...I am thankful for and to you all - I have learned so much on this Board, whether about basketball, football, the EPL, or other areas discussed on the EK or Off-topic forums.

I wish all a wonderful, happy and safe holiday season.

moonpie23
11-26-2015, 08:40 AM
i am thankful for a great many things. Being a duke fan is just one of them....

:)

hope everyone has a good turkey day and GO PANTHERS!!!!

oldnavy
11-26-2015, 09:02 AM
Thankful for it all! Consider it all joy...

Specifically for a very, very beautiful young girl I met when we were both very, very young, who for some crazy reason chose to love me and spend the last 35 years by my side. I need no other reason than her to know there is a God and that He really must love me! 😌

With regards to Duke BB specifically:
- "The shot", the real shot... the one Hurley made against UNLV which got us to the first and by far the sweetest NC! I remember exactly where I was and what I did when he made that shot!
- Getting to see JJ play, still one of my all time favs; his shot was poetry for the eyes!
- Coach K simply the greatest coach of all time in any sport, and I will not debate that point with anyone! Don't waist my time or yours trying to convince me otherwise! 🤓

God bless you all today, tomorrow, and forever!! Happy Thanksgiving!!

OldPhiKap
11-26-2015, 09:27 AM
I am thankful for decades of great memories and scores of great friends that I have gathered through Duke in general. And thankful I am not a Heel.

Devilwin
11-26-2015, 10:27 AM
Being a Duke fan.
All the titles K has won.
The resurgence of Duke football.
And the fact my three granddaughters are Duke fans, play softball, and the oldest two are top players on their teams in middle and high school. Hopefully they'll get offers from Duke!
Thankful for finding this site, and for all the great folks that dwell here...Happy Thanksgiving!:)

OldPhiKap
11-26-2015, 11:16 AM
I am thankful for Austin Rivers hitting his shot, and Marvin Austin for posting his tweet.

NYBri
11-26-2015, 12:32 PM
I am thankful for attending Duke and knowing, first hand, what 9f means.

Tripping William
11-26-2015, 01:09 PM
Please indulge my fairly lengthy, non-exhaustive list.

That Bob Knight thought his former Army point guard and assistant with the unspellable last name just might have some coaching ability.

That Tom Butters had the foresight to give that guy a contract extension.

That Dawkins and Alarie and Bilas and Henderson were willing to take a chance on him, too.

That that guy was willing to call-out double standards when he saw them.

That Billy King decimated Mark Macon's psyche.

That Phil Henderson called his teammates crybabies, and then threw down on Alonzo.

That Greg Anthony fouled out.

That Grant Hill had that chance to throw an unsuccessful long pass at the end of the Wake game, only to perfect it against UK.

That Rick Pitino decided not to guard Grant.

That Laettner stayed perfect.

That Grant put Big Dog in the pound.

In hindsight, not understanding it really at the time, that Mike decided to meet Mickie at the doctor's office instead of going to practice.

That games last a full 40 minutes, instead of just 39.

That JJ Redick was Dynomite

That the HVAC clicked on at Lucas Oil Stadium just as Gordon Hayward let fly.

That Tyler Zeller had his hands up at just the right time, and had his hands down at just the right time.

That Bo was too busy worrying about some ACC team playing Big Ten style basketball that he botched the end-of-game.

And many, many others. Oh, and beer. :o

Gobble, gobble, y'all.

devildeac
11-26-2015, 01:24 PM
Please indulge my fairly lengthy, non-exhaustive list.

That Bob Knight thought his former Army point guard and assistant with the unspellable last name just might have some coaching ability.
That Tom Butters had the foresight to give that guy a contract extension.
That Dawkins and Alarie and Bilas and Henderson were willing to take a chance on him, too.
That that guy was willing to call-out double standards when he saw them.
That Billy King decimated Mark Macon's psyche.
That Phil Henderson called his teammates crybabies, and then threw down on Alonzo.
That Greg Anthony fouled out.
That Grant Hill had that chance to throw an unsuccessful long pass at the end of the Wake game, only to perfect it against UK.
That Rick Pitino decided not to guard Grant.
That Laettner stayed perfect.
That Grant put Big Dog in the pound.
In hindsight, not understanding it really at the time, that Mike decided to meet Mickie at the doctor's office instead of going to practice.
That games last a full 40 minutes, instead of just 39.
That JJ Redick was Dynomite.
That the HVAC clicked on at Lucas Oil Stadium just as Gordon Hayward let fly.
That Tyler Zeller had his hands up at just the right time, and had his hands down at just the right time.
That Bo was too busy worrying about some ACC team playing Big Ten style basketball that he botched the end-of-game.

And many, many others. Oh, and beer. :o

Gobble, gobble, y'all.

Great, great list, especially your last item:o. One minor quibble: I really don't think Mike had a choice meeting Mickie at the doctor's office that day. IIRC, from one of his books (Leading with the Heart maybe?), it was more of an ultimatum.

gurufrisbee
11-26-2015, 05:33 PM
I started watching college basketball as a 9 year old in early 1986. With no idea what I was doing, I went to the rankings and picked a team near the top and decided that would be MY team, through thick and thin, forever. It should be fairly clear, that I am so thankful that I was fortunate enough to pick Duke (even though Pervis Ellison had me wondering a little about that a couple months later). But here we are almost thirty years later and I couldn't be happier with that pick. More wins, more titles, more wonderful memories than any other program and it's not even remotely close. A program run by an icon in the greatest coach in the sport's history with a record that has so many more graduations and so many less embarassments than any other top program. I love being a Duke fan and have for three decades and I'm so thankful for every moment of it.

Tripping William
11-23-2017, 09:42 AM
BTTT

Happy Thanksgiving to Blue Devils everywhere.

jv001
11-23-2017, 09:52 AM
I have many things to be thankful for this holiday season. I have a beautiful Godly wife, a wonderful Godly son(stepson) , a wonderful God daughter who also loves Christ. I have what I think is the best church and pastor a person could want. I have retained good health for a person over 70. I get to play golf on some very good courses with my church friends on a weekly basis. I have food on the table, clothes on my back and shoes on my feet. There are many people on this earth that can't say that. I root for the best college team on God's green earth and have made some good friends here on DBR.

I want to wish all on DBR a Happy Thanksgiving and thank you for your prayers for my son, Jeffrey.
God bless you and your families and GoDuke!

mgtr
11-23-2017, 12:01 PM
I am thankful for the preceding items enumerated in this thread, which were stated more eloquently than I would have managed. In addition, I am thankful that we all have access to this excellent board, which makes other such boards seem like a street brawl. Thank you, DBR.

Furniture
11-23-2017, 02:13 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/933769152493363200/video/1

Newton_14
11-23-2017, 02:19 PM
I am thankful for the preceding items enumerated in this thread, which were stated more eloquently than I would have managed. In addition, I am thankful that we all have access to this excellent board, which makes other such boards seem like a street brawl. Thank you, DBR.

Same here mgtr. I am thankful to be a part of this DBR family. I think we have a large amount of really good people from all walks of life in our membership, whom at a minimum all share a common bond of great passion for Duke Sports, but it goes well beyond that. We are blessed.

I hope all of our DBR Family has a great Thanksgiving.

Tripping William
11-21-2018, 10:49 AM
Moving this thread BTTT. Regardless of how Duke fares against Gonzaga tonight, I hope everyone in the DBR Community has a fantastic Thanksgiving holiday tomorrow. We are blessed indeed.

jv001
11-21-2018, 10:52 AM
Thankful to be a Duke fan and thankful to be a member on DBR. And as always...…...GoDuke!

PDDuke85
11-22-2018, 12:52 PM
Thankful for so much.
Happy Thanksgiving to all, especially throughout Duke Universe.

Tripping William
11-28-2019, 09:46 AM
BTTT. Gobble gobble (and not of the Hokie variety).

uh_no
11-28-2019, 09:59 AM
water grain yeast and hops

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-28-2019, 10:04 AM
- That we have a young, talented, dynamic roster full of kids who have so much to learn from the staff and one another, and stand a great chance of making a mark come March

Some things haven't changed much!

Happy Thanksgiving

chrishoke
11-28-2019, 10:18 AM
Happy Thanksgiving DukeGang! I am thankful for my lifetime love affair with Duke and all Duke sports.

arnie
11-28-2019, 10:46 AM
My immediate family is everyday thankful that none of of went to, or are UNCheat fans.