Vanderbilt
Wichita State
Oregon
LSU
Xavier
Cincinnati
Texas A&M

Sigh.

Kansas loses to MSU. Duke loses to Kentucky. Duke gets ranked behind Kansas.

pfrduke
11-23-2015, 02:11 PM
Sigh.

Kansas did look better against MSU than we did against Kentucky. It's not necessarily the way I would vote (although I'm admittedly biased) but I don't think it's unreasonable.

uh_no
11-23-2015, 02:15 PM
Sigh.

It's not necessarily representative of any individual voter. the votes can work out in ways such that no individual voter dropped duke below kansas (who didn't already have them that way), but they flipped when the votes are summed.

People get all up in arms about this stuff...but the sum can do weird things that no individual voter did.

CDu
11-23-2015, 02:16 PM
Kansas did look better against MSU than we did against Kentucky. It's not necessarily the way I would vote (although I'm admittedly biased) but I don't think it's unreasonable.

I'm just fine with where we are ranked. We didn't look convincing in beating Georgetown and VCU, and we got handled by Kentucky. We feel like a bottom-half-of-the-top-10 team to me right now. Obviously with the potential to move up, but not quite there yet.

OldPhiKap
11-23-2015, 02:20 PM
I think the ranking is fair, if not generous to where we are as a team at this point.

rtnorthrup
11-23-2015, 02:26 PM
I think the ranking is fair, if not generous to where we are as a team at this point.

Was what I was thinking also. Kinda surprised that we are 6th. Don't think we are playing like #6 right now. Still finding out who we are. Was actually kinda hoping we would drop of out the Top 10 so there wouldnt be so much limelight/attention/pressure on the team right now. If this was a horse race, I would like to see us drop back into the pack for a bit before making a late charge.

Whatever, I think everyone understands that the team right now is not indicative of where we can/should be come Feb/March.

Devilwin
11-23-2015, 02:28 PM
Rankings are meaningless at this point. UNC drops eight places. Hate them as I do, when they get Paige back they are gonna be right back climbing the polls.

Edouble
11-23-2015, 02:29 PM
I can't remember the last time a #1 team dropped that far after one loss. Are you kidding me? From #1 to #9? Ouch!

That seems unprecedented. I mean that is a really, really far drop.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-23-2015, 02:30 PM
Yes, count me in the "feels about right" group, as well as the "rankings don't matter unless you wear baby blue and hang banners for them" group.

This team is going to improve. Staying in the top ten is nice, but not a priority.

Olympic Fan
11-23-2015, 02:35 PM
The rankings posted by the OP are the AP poll.

Did anybody see the coaches poll?

Duke actually CLIMBED from No. 4 last week to No. 3 this week (behind Kentucky and Maryland). I'm amazed the coaches have Duke ahead of Michigan State:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

UNC dropped to No. 8 in the coaches poll.

Virginia at No. 12 in both polls.

Notre Dame 17 AP/18 coaches

Miami 15 in AP/ 19 in Coaches

Indiana is 13 AP/14 Coaches -- they are in the Maui Tournament this week, so their ranking could change drastically before we play them next week. Also, Utah, which we get before Christmas is now 26 in both polls. like to see them get back in the top 25 before we play them.

FerryFor50
11-23-2015, 02:56 PM
It's not necessarily representative of any individual voter. the votes can work out in ways such that no individual voter dropped duke below kansas (who didn't already have them that way), but they flipped when the votes are summed.

People get all up in arms about this stuff...but the sum can do weird things that no individual voter did.

Not up in arms at all. Just mildly annoyed. :)

moonpie23
11-23-2015, 03:55 PM
uncheat drops to # 9, immediately starts threads where they complain about duke....

OldPhiKap
11-23-2015, 04:10 PM
uncheat drops to # 9, immediately starts threads where they complain about duke...

"Duke gets all the calls"

English
11-23-2015, 05:44 PM
"Duke gets all the calls"

Duke gets all the votes.

johnb
11-23-2015, 06:11 PM

Duke actually CLIMBED from No. 4 last week to No. 3 this week (behind Kentucky and Maryland). I'm amazed the coaches have Duke ahead of Michigan State:

We almost lost to a team that is 1-3 after earlier losses to Radford and Maryland. We got dismantled by a Kentucky team with more new players than we do. I wouldn't have put us close to #3, and I've predicted that we'd win the NCAA tournament every year since 1996.

Edouble
11-23-2015, 06:16 PM
We almost lost to a team that is 1-3 after earlier losses to Radford and Maryland. We got dismantled by a Kentucky team with more new players than we do. I wouldn't have put us close to #3, and I've predicted that we'd win the NCAA tournament every year since 1996.

After playing Kentucky, who is clearly the best team in the country at this point, we responded by 1) having our top player score 30 in back to back games, and by 2) showing the rest of the college basketball world that we have a ready-for-prime-time point guard.

We also have a sleeping giant in Brandon Ingram

It is a generous ranking, but don't think that we are that far off from #3 at this point in the season. It's only November.

Olympic Fan
11-23-2015, 06:45 PM
I don't really care one way or another about the rankings, but it is a lot of fun to go to IC and read the consternation there when they saw Duke ranked ahead of the Heels.

Other than that, are we 3? Are we 6? Should we be 12?

I don't know or care. But I do think it's misleading to dismiss Georgetown as a 1-3 team. They just sandwiched a win over Wisconsin back to back last second losses to Maryland and Duke. I suspect we'll look back on that win as a significant one when March comes around. And the VCU win won't be a bad one either.

CatDevil
11-23-2015, 07:04 PM

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

UNC dropped to No. 8 in the coaches poll.

Virginia at No. 12 in both polls.

Notre Dame 17 AP/18 coaches

Miami 15 in AP/ 19 in Coaches

Indiana is 13 AP/14 Coaches -- they are in the Maui Tournament this week, so their ranking could change drastically before we play them next week. Also, Utah, which we get before Christmas is now 26 in both polls. like to see them get back in the top 25 before we play them.

Will Wake Forest choke or pull it out. Down by one with 33 seconds to go...

ChillinDuke
11-23-2015, 07:15 PM
Will Wake Forest choke or pull it out. Down by one with 33 seconds to go...

They'll pull it out. See other thread(s) for more details...

- Chillin

Devilwin
11-24-2015, 04:35 PM
To coin an ancient phrase, this team is "a work in progress". Our most talented players are freshmen and a sophomore. I for one, see growth in everyone but Ingram, and he is much, much, too talented to take much longer to come around.. Thornton looked good against Georgetown, and Kennard is playing well, just got to get the three dialed in is all. Georgetown has a good squad. I believe they will do well in the Big East as the season progresses. Look for Ingram and Kennard to have big games tomorrow.
And I want to see Obi get some minutes!

oldnavy
11-24-2015, 05:32 PM
Thornton looks better each game. Once Kennard hits a few and get his mojo.... he is going to be a great complement to Grayson. Brandon will figure it out, but my goodness he is thin.... but he has the talent, no doubt!

Amile is key and so far he is doing exactly what he needs to. Playing very good defense and being enough of an offensive threat so that he cannot be ignored....

It's going to be fun to watch this team grow....