PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Georgetown (Nov 22, 1 pm, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

MChambers
11-21-2015, 07:05 PM
A very different opponent awaits Duke tomorrow. Georgetown plays much more slowly (tempo 255 in Pomeroy) and has more size. Georgetown is ranked #37 in Pomeroy (#34 in Sagarin). I'm thinking we'll see more out of Plumlee and Jeter, but I wouldn't be shocked if Duke went small in the second half.

Troublemaker
11-21-2015, 07:55 PM
Duke opens as 5.5-pt favorites. I'm going to go out on a limb (although it might not be that long a limb) and say Duke wins by 10+.

We should have the quickness advantage in this game from beginning to end, which will be a breath of fresh air after playing games against Kentucky's perimeter and VCU's bunch of little quick guys.

I think we'll be able to get back to running our regular sets without all that pressure in our face, and we should be able to score out of them.

On defense, it'll be up to Derryck (and Matt as a backup plan) to keep Smith-Rivera in check. Brandon will also have an important check on 6-9 220 Isaac Copeland who is scoring 13ppg efficiently for Georgetown. If we can hold down those two, my prediction will come true.

wallyman
11-21-2015, 08:09 PM
Duke opens as 5.5-pt favorites. I'm going to go out on a limb (although it might not be that long a limb) and say Duke wins by 10+.

We should have the quickness advantage in this game from beginning to end, which will be a breath of fresh air after playing games against Kentucky's perimeter and VCU's bunch of little quick guys.

I think we'll be able to get back to running our regular sets without all that pressure in our face, and we should be able to score out of them.

On defense, it'll be up to Derryck (and Matt as a backup plan) to keep Smith-Rivera in check. Brandon will also have an important check on 6-9 220 Isaac Copeland who is scoring 13ppg efficiently for Georgetown. If we can hold down those two, my prediction will come true.

Surprised how little anxiety there's been about Grayson's hamstring. Think if he's fine, we'll be fine, but he was obviously favoring one leg after he came up gimpy and no doubt was really feeling it today. I, for one, would not assume the Grayson we saw Friday is the one we see Sunday. Sure hope he is.

moonpie23
11-21-2015, 10:21 PM
georgetown ran hard on MD for a good deal of the game......these guys are gonna come in with a chip on their shoulders and we'd better match their intensity.....

hope grayson's hammy is in good shape.........friday night's game was big for our guys.....i hope they can improve on that...

GO DUKE!!

madscavenger
11-22-2015, 04:59 AM
At goduke.com there are 2 different times displayed for the Georgetown game, noon and 1pm. Which one is it? Thanks in advance.

Devilwin
11-22-2015, 06:47 AM
ESPN one o'clock.

jv001
11-22-2015, 07:54 AM
ESPN one o'clock.

Hope you're right, because that's what my DVR is set for. GoDuke!

Bob Green
11-22-2015, 08:59 AM
Surprised how little anxiety there's been about Grayson's hamstring.

I echo your concern, which I posted about in the VCU post-game thread. Hamstring injuries linger. Today would be a great time for Kennard's shot to start dropping to remove some of the scoring burden off a less than 100 percent healthy Grayson Allen.

flyingdutchdevil
11-22-2015, 10:06 AM
I'm interested in seeing:

-Ingram's improvement in hunger, if any
-Thornton's continued excellent improvement in running the team
-Allen's improvement in diversified ways to score
-Coach K's in-fame reaction to the team. Against VCU, he was madder than I've ever seen him

CameronDuke
11-22-2015, 10:41 AM
Duke will have their hands full trying to contain Georgetown Sr. center Bradley Hayes. He measures in at 7-0, 275 lbs so he will have a size advantage on any player runs out onto the court to guard him. Marshall needs to stay out of foul trouble and I also think we see Jeter and maybe Obi play today.

D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera is 6-3 Sr. Guard for Georgetown who can get hot from 3 at any time too. I expect Matt Jones to start on him. Georgetown won't be intimidated today. This is going to be a very tough, physical game.

lotusland
11-22-2015, 12:18 PM
Duke will have their hands full trying to contain Georgetown Sr. center Bradley Hayes. He measures in at 7-0, 275 lbs so he will have a size advantage on any player runs out onto the court to guard him. Marshall needs to stay out of foul trouble and I also think we see Jeter and maybe Obi play today.

D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera is 6-3 Sr. Guard for Georgetown who can get hot from 3 at any time too. I expect Matt Jones to start on him. Georgetown won't be intimidated today. This is going to be a very tough, physical game.

Marshall has been effective without fouling of late but we have bodies to throw at them in the post so I wouldn't temper marshall's aggressiveness. His primary value, imo, is to disrupt and provide energy so let it rip. If we need Jeter, Obi, Vrank to fill in so be it.

I'll be watching to see if Thornton can initiate more offense now that the game seems to have slowed down for him. I'd like to see Ingram focus on playing some nasty defense i.e. steals, blocks and rebounds and not press to carry the scoring load at this point. I hope Thornton and Ingram get out and run some tand have some fun today.

-jk
11-22-2015, 12:35 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

huey
11-22-2015, 12:42 PM
I echo your concern, which I posted about in the VCU post-game thread. Hamstring injuries linger. Today would be a great time for Kennard's shot to start dropping to remove some of the scoring burden off a less than 100 percent healthy Grayson Allen.

Surprised how little anxiety there's been about Grayson's hamstring. Think if he's fine, we'll be fine, but he was obviously favoring one leg after he came up gimpy and no doubt was really feeling it today. I, for one, would not assume the Grayson we saw Friday is the one we see Sunday. Sure hope he is.

Having gone through tweaking a hammy (or two!), the second I saw him grab for it, I let out an audible groan. It's one of those weird injuries that you can continue playing on but you end up running funny to compensate. Really wished he had come out, but he's got a lot of CP3 in him and I can't imagine him taking himself out unless he can't walk.

Hopefully it was a low grade strain. But then again it's his left left (I think) which is dangerous since it's his jumping leg. I'm sure the trainers know best, but kind of wish he'd take some time before he comes back. Would be a shame to re-strain it or injure another part compensating and have to miss a larger chunk of the season. We'll find out soon!

dukelion
11-22-2015, 01:00 PM
Quick question....last time we played the Hoya's was the 2010 blowout with he POTUS in attendance?

GGLC
11-22-2015, 01:34 PM
Our offensive flow is nonexistent.

riverside6
11-22-2015, 01:44 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Georgetown...

http://www.scacchoops.com/duke-at-tbd-basketball-live-stats-11222015

eddiehaskell
11-22-2015, 01:52 PM
Chase Jeter! Finally playing and doesn't look half bad.

eddiehaskell
11-22-2015, 01:54 PM
Are you freakin kidding me? We played so well and the guy splashes a 3 from half court?

GGLC
11-22-2015, 01:56 PM
Are you freakin kidding me? We played so well and the guy splashes a 3 from half court?

We didn't play that well.

duke09hms
11-22-2015, 01:56 PM
Crap thought it started at 1:30. Good 8-0 run to get back into it. Not sure how I feel about the zone. We play a passive version of it and Gtown is hitting their shots without much pressure from us.

dukelifer
11-22-2015, 02:02 PM
Crap thought it started at 1:30. Good 8-0 run to get back into it. Not sure how I feel about the zone. We play a passive version of it and Gtown is hitting their shots without much pressure from us.

My google calendar had it at 3:00. Was watching the Panther's game and logged on to DBR and saw chat was open.

uh_no
11-22-2015, 02:04 PM
We didn't play that well.

we gave up a 136 defense on the first half.....off an expected 101....that's atrocious.

the fouls on plumlee hurt....especially the second...on a horrid block/charge

duke09hms
11-22-2015, 02:12 PM
Another 8-0 run. LGD!

duke09hms
11-22-2015, 02:17 PM
And another 8-0 run!
Feed the Plumlee!

pfrduke
11-22-2015, 02:19 PM
I'll take 19 points in the first four minutes of the half. Defense still needs to get dialed in better, but that's a nice offensive explosion.

eddiehaskell
11-22-2015, 02:27 PM
We didn't play that well.we played well to bring it back to basically a tie game...things could've got away from us.

duke09hms
11-22-2015, 02:31 PM
Hope we settle on a defense and stick with it. We should have a base defense otherwise we become a master of none. Getting cut open over and over.

subzero02
11-22-2015, 02:44 PM
That 3 point attempt by Ingram was atrocious.... I have a headache now

duke09hms
11-22-2015, 03:02 PM
Ballsy move putting Ingram in at the end. Could really jumpstart his confidence.