PDA

View Full Version : WBB; Duke vs Texas A&M, 11/18 7:00pm

wandalee
11-18-2015, 12:42 PM
Big game tonight at Cameron (7:00 start). Texas A&M is ranked #12, so this should be a good test for us.

CameronBornAndBred
11-18-2015, 01:24 PM
Game is on ESPN3.

Gargoyle
11-18-2015, 04:01 PM
Gary Blair's pre-game presser:

http://texags.com/s/18931/gary-blair-meets-with-media-prior-to-faceoff-with-14-duke/58

Gargoyle
11-18-2015, 04:07 PM
Here is the preview from A&M:

http://texags.com/forums/58/topics/2691426

"A&M point guard Jordan Jones will play in front of her brother, Duke men's basketball player Matt Jones in this game. Jones watched her brother play during the 2015 Sweet 16 and Elite Eight in Houston, as the Blue Devil men would go on to clinch a Final Four berth and National Championship."

-jk
11-18-2015, 06:42 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

wandalee
11-18-2015, 07:38 PM
Poor attendance for 2 top 15 teams but it sure is nice to see Duke players under 6'4"! The guards are young but you can see their potential.

devildeac
11-18-2015, 09:32 PM
OT:
TAMU 72
Duke 66

Any reports from attendees?

DU82
11-18-2015, 10:20 PM
OT:
TAMU 72
Duke 66

Any reports from attendees?

Yep. We had our chances, but gave it away at the end of the second half.

We came out strong on the boards and in transition. A&M made some adjustments to cut down on that, and seemed to get most of the loose balls and off-rebounds.

They went up at the last second of the second quarter (still odd typing that) as we missed some chances. They changed their defense at the half, and basically shadowed Becca and Azura the second half. They had the size to bother Azura and she became tentative shooting. (Go up strong and through contact.) Becca couldn't get free, and handled the ball perhaps too much in trying to make plays.

After being down 11, we came back strong, making just enough shots to take a two point lead. We had chances to push it to two possessions, but couldn't and they tied it late. After we basically blew the last full possession to try and win it, it went to overtime.

In overtime, they hit shots and we didn't, and we made more mistakes. Lessons to be learned by our young team, going against one that started five seniors.

Regarding the players, our season will live or die with Azura, Becca and most likely Angela. Azura, as mentioned, needs to get stronger inside. Her teammates, in particular Becca, need to remember that Azura is 6'6" and give her passes up high, not down near the floor.

Kyra made some great plays, and is likely out fastest player. She needs to remember that she has talented teammates and not try to do everything herself.

Crystal had some good drives to the basket, but also had two really bad drops/misses of passes that cost. She needs to take better care of the ball.

Haley came in as the first sub, made a couple of mistakes early, and then didn't see the floor again. Hope she doesn't get discouraged from that.

Amber basically the same thing, wasn't thinking in the first half when the inbounds play came with 8 seconds left on the play clock and held the ball too long then passed it with about two seconds left. I don't believe she saw the floor again.

Faith came in during the second half to play defense for a couple of minutes, but didn't show much (not sure she touched the ball on offense.)

Angela is still getting back in basketball shape and learning her teammates' habits. She made a couple of passes that caught the recipient by surprise. The substitution patterns with her are still a bit odd, I would have expected her to be on the court a bit more, even this early in the season.

Kendall goes from showing a lot of fire (especially on a held ball early) but then goes blank at times.

Oderah gives us the best offensive second big, but seems at times she's still recovering from her shoulder injury. She had some good moves that didn't go in.

Erin came in a few times, and has good energy, but still needs to catch up to the game at times. A project, but promising (in the chat, we said she reminds us of Zoubek at the same stage of his career, just starting the second year.)

I know I've been a bit negative here, but it's after a loss, and frankly it wasn't a bad loss. A little frustrating, but there's promise out there as they get more comfortable with each other. We have two good point guards, two more than last year, and that's going to be key later in the season.

buddy
11-18-2015, 10:30 PM
I agree with DU80. Same old, same old. 20 TOs, got outrebounded, can't make lay-ups. Several brain cramps (Amber on the shot clock, Crystal on the dropped passes). TAMU is experienced and well coached. We had more size, but they got more rebounds. Better positioning, and I think they generally outhustled us. Don't understand why Primm played for Salvadores in crunch time. Azura was 5-15, Lambert 2-12 from the field. As I said, too many forced shots, weak finishes around the rim.

Kedsy
11-19-2015, 01:29 AM
Exciting game. Great comeback. Tough loss.

Rebecca was outstanding. Although A&M did a good job keeping her from getting the ball toward the end of the game and in OT. Still nothing to complain about 22 points on 10 shots.

Angela had 11 points on 5 shots. I can't wait for her to get fully up to speed. A backcourt with both she and Kyra will be hard to stop. They're both scoring PGs, but I get the feeling Angela will be able to run the offense without calling her own number too much. Right now, she seems a little uncertain about her role and thus a little tentative.

Azurá was bothered by A&M's physicality. Once again, she has to remember that she's the best player on the floor.

Crystal is a great defender, but at least for now doesn't offer a lot on offense. It's a tough call whether to put her on the floor with the game on the line.

devildeac
11-19-2015, 08:15 AM
Yep. We had our chances, but gave it away at the end of the second half.

We came out strong on the boards and in transition. A&M made some adjustments to cut down on that, and seemed to get most of the loose balls and off-rebounds.

They went up at the last second of the second quarter (still odd typing that) as we missed some chances. They changed their defense at the half, and basically shadowed Becca and Azura the second half. They had the size to bother Azura and she became tentative shooting. (Go up strong and through contact.) Becca couldn't get free, and handled the ball perhaps too much in trying to make plays.

After being down 11, we came back strong, making just enough shots to take a two point lead. We had chances to push it to two possessions, but couldn't and they tied it late. After we basically blew the last full possession to try and win it, it went to overtime.

In overtime, they hit shots and we didn't, and we made more mistakes. Lessons to be learned by our young team, going against one that started five seniors.

Regarding the players, our season will live or die with Azura, Becca and most likely Angela. Azura, as mentioned, needs to get stronger inside. Her teammates, in particular Becca, need to remember that Azura is 6'6" and give her passes up high, not down near the floor.

Kyra made some great plays, and is likely out fastest player. She needs to remember that she has talented teammates and not try to do everything herself.

Crystal had some good drives to the basket, but also had two really bad drops/misses of passes that cost. She needs to take better care of the ball.

Haley came in as the first sub, made a couple of mistakes early, and then didn't see the floor again. Hope she doesn't get discouraged from that.

Amber basically the same thing, wasn't thinking in the first half when the inbounds play came with 8 seconds left on the play clock and held the ball too long then passed it with about two seconds left. I don't believe she saw the floor again.

Faith came in during the second half to play defense for a couple of minutes, but didn't show much (not sure she touched the ball on offense.)

Angela is still getting back in basketball shape and learning her teammates' habits. She made a couple of passes that caught the recipient by surprise. The substitution patterns with her are still a bit odd, I would have expected her to be on the court a bit more, even this early in the season.

Kendall goes from showing a lot of fire (especially on a held ball early) but then goes blank at times.

Oderah gives us the best offensive second big, but seems at times she's still recovering from her shoulder injury. She had some good moves that didn't go in.

Erin came in a few times, and has good energy, but still needs to catch up to the game at times. A project, but promising (in the chat, we said she reminds us of Zoubek at the same stage of his career, just starting the second year.)

I know I've been a bit negative here, but it's after a loss, and frankly it wasn't a bad loss. A little frustrating, but there's promise out there as they get more comfortable with each other. We have two good point guards, two more than last year, and that's going to be key later in the season.

Excellent summary. Thank you for taking the time to post.

Dopeshop
11-19-2015, 08:28 AM
I've never coached a game of basketball.

Here's my puzzlement Up by 2 , last minute of the game , call a time out , in the bonus ---your tallest player shoots a long 3 .... hard to understand ...what's this about ?