PDA

View Full Version : Maryland vs Georgetown - Rasheed

Billy Dat
11-17-2015, 11:23 PM
Very entertaining game.

I love seeing Rasheed again and saw something I never thought I'd see. With 2 mins to go and Maryland needing a stop, Rasheed did a Duke floor slap. His teammates may not have noticed, but I love that despite all that happened with he and Duke that some Duke DNA is still in there. A Maryland player did a non-ironic, non-mocking defensive Duke floor slap in the Xfinity Center in front of those cro magnon fans. Too funny. They got the stop and then Rasheed hit a big 3 to get the lead.

Georgetown played really well. They are a good opponent if we see them in NY despite the upset lost they had last weekend.

eddiehaskell
11-17-2015, 11:30 PM
I'm just thinking how good Duke would be this year with 'Sheed....granted, I quickly dismiss the thought considering him staying could in some way alter last year's outcome.

Furniture
11-17-2015, 11:31 PM
Very entertaining game.

I love seeing Rasheed again and saw something I never thought I'd see. With 2 mins to go and Maryland needing a stop, Rasheed did a Duke floor slap. His teammates may not have noticed, but I love that despite all that happened with he and Duke that some Duke DNA is still in there. A Maryland player did a non-ironic, non-mocking defensive Duke floor slap in the Xfinity Center in front of those cro magnon fans. Too funny. They got the stop and then Rasheed hit a big 3 to get the lead.

Georgetown played really well. They are a good opponent if we see them in NY despite the upset lost they had last weekend.

I saw some of it. He looked very good. Great D, lots of energy and unselfish too!

Edouble
11-17-2015, 11:39 PM
I'm just thinking how good Duke would be this year with 'Sheed...granted, I quickly dismiss the thought considering him staying could in some way alter last year's outcome.

Was that intentional?

Might be too soon. :(

Coballs
11-17-2015, 11:57 PM
The Scott van Pelt/Cole Fieldhouse/Maryland lovefest and UM-centric episode of Sportscemter is nauseating, unnecessary, and over the top. I can't believe they are focusing this much attention towards an institution that is, at best, second tier.

Edouble
11-18-2015, 12:06 AM
The Scott van Pelt/Cole Fieldhouse/Maryland lovefest and UM-centric episode of Sportscemter is nauseating, unnecessary, and over the top. I can't believe they are focusing this much attention towards an institution that is, at best, second tier.

RIP

Agree. What I saw was pretty over the top. Was there really some discussion of Cole, that legendary, hallowed Big 10 arena?

Coballs
11-18-2015, 12:15 AM
RIP

Agree. What I saw was pretty over the top. Was there really some discussion of Cole, that legendary, hallowed Big 10 arena?

They're still going!!!! It's all about Maryland-Georgetown tonight. Never seen so much attention paid to such an insignificant sporting event. And van Pelt has been front and center the entire time. This is a nationally televised show...I can't imagine what 99% of the people around the country who are tuning in are thinking. Unprecedented idolatry for a minor team in a minor sport. An entire episode of Sportscenter dedicated to Maryland basketball!!! It's the Scott van Pelt Show, and they are grossly exaggerating the importance and historical significance of the UM-Georgetown matchup.

Coballs
11-18-2015, 12:30 AM
van Pelt keeps yelling about going to some Maryland college dive bar called Bentleys. This is like a fusion of Sportscenter and Old School.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-18-2015, 04:40 AM
They're still going!!!! It's all about Maryland-Georgetown tonight. Never seen so much attention paid to such an insignificant sporting event. And van Pelt has been front and center the entire time. This is a nationally televised show...I can't imagine what 99% of the people around the country who are tuning in are thinking. Unprecedented idolatry for a minor team in a minor sport. An entire episode of Sportscenter dedicated to Maryland basketball!!! It's the Scott van Pelt Show, and they are grossly exaggerating the importance and historical significance of the UM-Georgetown matchup.

Better than talking about Duke/UK

weezie
11-18-2015, 07:49 AM
Better than talking about Duke/UK

Hoot! Yes, indeed.

sparty will be ready and waiting for the twerps.

DukeWarhead
11-18-2015, 08:05 AM
According to ESPN:

"Now that I'm on this side, I can officially say it: They [Maryland] are the best fans in the world," Sulaimon said."

Ha. Nice try, "Sheed. Guess you got to show the love to the fans, but that's funny.

BD80
11-18-2015, 08:51 AM
According to ESPN:

"Now that I'm on this side, I can officially say it: They [Maryland] are the best fans in the world," Sulaimon said."

Ha. Nice try, "Sheed. Guess you got to show the love to the fans, but that's funny.

He had to say it. They had his Mom tied up

Duke95
11-18-2015, 08:58 AM
According to ESPN:

Nobody, and I mean nobody, throws batteries and burns down their stadium like the Terp fans do.

superdave
11-18-2015, 09:10 AM

I really hope Fox Sports 1, or whatever it is, takes off so someone else can show games. I didnt like Stuart Scott being a homer, think Berman is annoying, Olberman is creepy, etc.

Get off my lawn, Espn!

MCFinARL
11-18-2015, 09:13 AM

Well, yes, but--Maryland-Georgetown, as the rivalry that wasn't though the fans always wanted it desperately, has a long history going back to John Thompson Jr. and Lefty Dreisell. In that historical sense, it's not such an insignificant sporting event--and it also turned out to be a pretty good game.

That being said, I don't disagree that the coverage was over the top.

captmojo
11-18-2015, 10:40 AM

Well, it was some girl back in his room...;)

Can we have open-season on him, now? No props to UM, but I do respect his play.

Tom B.
11-18-2015, 11:19 AM

He did hit a big three-pointer, and he led Maryland with seven assists -- but he also made two significant defensive errors late in the game. Twice, he went under a screen instead of over, and left D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera (Georgetown's best outside shooter) open for a pair of three-pointers that kept Georgetown either tied or close. But for some timely late offense by Maryland (damn, Melo Trimble is good) and missed free throws by Georgetown, those mistakes really could've come back to haunt the Terps.

Dev11
11-18-2015, 11:23 AM
I think it's in poor form for Duke fans to complain about ESPN overhyping a college basketball event. We've perhaps benefitted more than any program from their constant attention.

DukieInKansas
11-18-2015, 11:29 AM
According to ESPN:

They may be great if they are your fans but leave something to be desired in the sportsmanship area.

Given the amount of things they like to burn - win or lose - they obviously don't own invest in the insurance industry. :D

kAzE
11-18-2015, 11:30 AM
I'll miss Rasheed, I loved his game and his tenacity on both ends of the floor. We'll never know for sure, but in my opinion, he would have helped us win the national championship last year. We had enough to do it without him, but I believe he would have been a net positive. Despite what rumors may have flown around, I always thought he was a good team player and a very talented basketball player. We REALLY could have used his ball handling and passing this year, but alas he is a Terp.

hudlow
11-18-2015, 12:04 PM

they sent him this photo....

devildeac
11-18-2015, 05:12 PM
According to ESPN:

“Give yourself to the Dark Side."

kAzE
11-18-2015, 06:12 PM
Man, I hate to say it, but Rasheed is playing better as a Terp than he ever did as a Blue Devil: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61585/rasheed-sulaimon

It's obviously early, but he's averaging career highs in FG% (55%), 3PT% (50%), Assists (6.0) and A/TO (4.0)

Turgeon seems to be putting the ball in his hands and using him as the main facilitator on offense, which probably is the best way to utilize his skill set, as he is an excellent play maker and passer. It's also likely his best chance to make a NBA roster, as he projects much more favorably to the NBA game as a point guard rather than a 2. It is what it is, but man, we sure could have used his playmaking in the UK game . . .

rocketeli
11-18-2015, 06:39 PM
they sent him this photo...

They should have sent the one of Gary Williams at Dewey Beach...

Steven43
11-18-2015, 06:48 PM
I'll miss Rasheed, I loved his game and his tenacity on both ends of the floor. We'll never know for sure, but in my opinion, he would have helped us win the national championship last year. We had enough to do it without him, but I believe he would have been a net positive. Despite what rumors may have flown around, I always thought he was a good team player and a very talented basketball player. We REALLY could have used his ball handling and passing this year, but alas he is a Terp.

I liked Rasheed initially. I thought he was going to be a very good player. But he never really progressed in his time at Duke. He was a maddeningly inconsistent three-point shooter. Yes, he could get hot sometimes, but far more often he would miss, especially when Duke most needed a basket from him.

And his drives to the basket--oh my gosh I wish I hadn't gotten started on this. He would beat his man off the dribble and race furiously toward the basket only to be met by one, and often two, much taller players who knew exactly what he was going to do and would force him to take a ridiculous off-balance shot that had close to zero chance of going in. Very much like Austin Rivers used to continually do, in fact. It would drive me absolutely crazy.

No, i do not miss Sheed on the court in a Duke uniform.

Dukeford
11-18-2015, 07:18 PM
I liked Rasheed initially. I thought he was going to be a very good player. But he never really progressed in his time at Duke. He was a maddeningly inconsistent three-point shooter. Yes, he could get hot sometimes, but far more often he would miss, especially when Duke most needed a basket from him.

And his drives to the basket--oh my gosh I wish I hadn't gotten started on this. He would beat his man off the dribble and race furiously toward the basket only to be met by one, and often two, much taller players who knew exactly what he was going to do and would force him to take a ridiculous off-balance shot that had close to zero chance of going in. Very much like Austin Rivers used to continually do, in fact. It would drive me absolutely crazy.

Last night, somebody else's drives to the basket looked very similar.
Hopefully it was a great learning experience.

dukelifer
11-18-2015, 07:39 PM
Man, I hate to say it, but Rasheed is playing better as a Terp than he ever did as a Blue Devil: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61585/rasheed-sulaimon

It's obviously early, but he's averaging career highs in FG% (55%), 3PT% (50%), Assists (6.0) and A/TO (4.0)

Turgeon seems to be putting the ball in his hands and using him as the main facilitator on offense, which probably is the best way to utilize his skill set, as he is an excellent play maker and passer. It's also likely his best chance to make a NBA roster, as he projects much more favorably to the NBA game as a point guard rather than a 2. It is what it is, but man, we sure could have used his playmaking in the UK game . . .
Perhaps a tad early to make this comp.

Isaac Sours
11-18-2015, 08:18 PM
I think it's in poor form for Duke fans to complain about ESPN overhyping a college basketball event. We've perhaps benefitted more than any program from their constant attention.

Agreed, 100%. Let's not whine.

Ultrarunner
11-18-2015, 08:43 PM
I, for one, miss Rasheed and wish that he could have met all the expectations of his teammates and his coaches. I bear him no ill will and hope that the last year, as painful as it must have been, gave him perspective that he can apply to the rest of his life. That he stuck with Duke and finished his degree pleased me to no end.

As far as playing for the Terps - may he enjoy great success. May the turtle enjoy just enough success to make their future disappointments that much sweeter.

Neals384
11-18-2015, 11:52 PM

Perhaps you missed the fact that Duke's season completely turned around the minute he was gone. No way do we hang that banner if he had stayed.

JNort
11-19-2015, 12:33 AM

You are selling him very short imo. From what I saw he was just heavily misused. I was continually frustrated in how we used him in our offense

Steven43
11-19-2015, 01:30 AM
You are selling him very short imo. From what I saw he was just heavily misused. I was continually frustrated in how we used him in our offense

'Very' short? You really believe that? He got more than enough playing time his first two seasons to show what he could do. What am I missing? Do you think he had some untapped talent or something? And how exactly would you have preferred he be used in Duke's offense?

I do think he contributed decently well overall as far as defense, rebounding, assists, etc. Not great, but generally pretty good. I did not particularly appreciate what I perceived to be a bit of a negative attitude on the court at times. And clearly Sulaimon had some serious attitude problems in practice and in general. Why else would Coach have kicked him off the team? I think it turned out to be a case of addition by subtraction. Who knows? Look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Billy Dat
11-19-2015, 06:07 AM
Is that photo above someone cooking up freebase cocaine? If so is it some kind of Len Bias-related joke? Also a joke above about Rasheed's alleged-but-never actually formally accussed sexual assault on a female student? In answer to the earlier question I would say, "No, it's not time to pile on, Rasheed". Let's try and show a tad more empathy.

Whatever Rasheed did to get kicked off the team, which seems to be being a grade A prima donna who put himself above the team, it was K who showed him the door, he didn't leave on his own. Whatever he is now or will become, it probably wouldn't have happened if he had not been booted because he likely did some very serious soul searching as a result if that very public humiliation.

He got booted, Duke won a title, and now
he seems very well suited to his new role on his new team. Perhaps this is the rare case where it really worked out best for everyone involved. I just hope we don't meet during single elimination time in March, but I will be rooting for Maryland against the Heels.

kAzE
11-19-2015, 10:05 AM
Perhaps you missed the fact that Duke's season completely turned around the minute he was gone. No way do we hang that banner if he had stayed.

Ok, Nostradamus, what does your crystal ball tell us for this year? Shall we kick someone else off the team as a sacrifice to the basketball gods?

We won the championship last year because Cook, Winslow, Jones, and Okafor were absolute studs, not because Rasheed Sulaimon was dismissed from the team.

To suggest that you know for sure that we would not have won with Sulaimon is ridiculous. Maybe you're right, but nobody will ever know for sure. What I do know for sure is this year's team could have really used his skills.

whereinthehellami
11-19-2015, 11:17 AM
Sheed had good games for us to. Even hit a game winner or two. But he was also inconsistent and had a poor attitude at times. I remember a lot of arguing with the refs after ill-advised shots in the lane, meanwhile the other team just got a layup. So we will see if he has matured and is more consistent.

Steven43
11-19-2015, 11:19 AM
Ok, Nostradamus, what does your crystal ball tell us for this year? Shall we kick someone else off the team as a sacrifice to the basketball gods?

We won the championship last year because Cook, Winslow, Jones, and Okafor were absolute studs, not because Rasheed Sulaimon was dismissed from the team.

To suggest that you know for sure that we would not have won with Sulaimon is ridiculous. Maybe you're right, but nobody will ever know for sure. What I do know for sure is this year's team could have really used his skills.

kAzE, I appreciate many of your takes, but I'm just not feeling this one about Sulaimon. From whom would he take playing time? Grayson? I would not agree with that at all as I think Grayson has much more potential on the college level than does Sulaimon.

Kennard then? Taking minutes from Luke would disturb me just as much or more. His upside is way beyond anything RS has to offer. No, there is no place for Sulaimon on this team.

Jeffrey
11-19-2015, 11:29 AM

Do you know, for sure, we would have ended up with this year's best recruiting class if Rasheed was on this year's team?

Jeffrey
11-19-2015, 11:46 AM

How should he have been used in our offense? When the banner hangs high, I don't complain about that team's offense or defense.

COYS
11-19-2015, 11:47 AM

Hmm. I agree that his sophomore year he wasn't given free reign to handle the ball and drive since we ran our offense through Rodney and Jabari. However, last season he initially came in and played point guard for the second group of players, which is probably perfect for his ball-dominant skillset. Also, he appears to have had some problem accepting a more limited role when he played with the first team's players which happened to include three NBA first round picks and a senior point guard who was pretty good in his own right. It does seem that he's a guy who needs the ball in his hands quite a bit to bring out the best in him, but that doesn't mean we should have taken the ball out of Tyus', Justise's, Jah's, Jabari's, or Rodney's hands just so that he could have more touches.

I'm with the others in hoping that Rasheed learned a little bit along the way. The fact that he's one of Maryland's top ballhandlers this season is not a surprise and I'm glad he's taking advantage of it. I think the staff envisioned him as plan B at point guard this season if Tyus left after one year. Obviously, that didn't work out. I hope he has a pretty good year in what is otherwise an incredibly disappointing season for Maryland.

DukeDevil
11-19-2015, 01:29 PM
May the turtle enjoy just enough success to make their future disappointments that much sweatier.

Fixed that for you.

CDu
11-19-2015, 07:05 PM
Is that photo above someone cooking up freebase cocaine? If so is it some kind of Len Bias-related joke? Also a joke above about Rasheed's alleged-but-never actually formally accussed sexual assault on a female student? In answer to the earlier question I would say, "No, it's not time to pile on, Rasheed". Let's try and show a tad more empathy.

Whatever Rasheed did to get kicked off the team, which seems to be being a grade A prima donna who put himself above the team, it was K who showed him the door, he didn't leave on his own. Whatever he is now or will become, it probably wouldn't have happened if he had not been booted because he likely did some very serious soul searching as a result if that very public humiliation.

He got booted, Duke won a title, and now
he seems very well suited to his new role on his new team. Perhaps this is the rare case where it really worked out best for everyone involved. I just hope we don't meet during single elimination time in March, but I will be rooting for Maryland against the Heels.

Looks like a picture of someone heating up a penny.

That said, I agree about the rest: let Sulaimon be. He didn't leave by choice, so even though his actions (whatever they were) were detrimental to the program to the point that he was dismissed, it's just time to move on. This appears to be one of those cases in which both parties have benefited from the split.

TerpsInACC
11-20-2015, 12:17 AM
Glad to see many Duke fans appreciating what Rasheed did as a Blue Devil. And yes, I am a die-hard Terps fan and I loved seeing him do the "Duke floor slap" at the end of the game. I wish the whole team did that. Overall, the Terps played bad until the final ten minutes but this might end up helping us when we take on the Tar Heels. In a week, I will be on this board getting advice from you on how Maryland can beat North Carolina on 12/1. By the way, Duke has always been my second favorite team after the Terps so please do not judge Maryland fans on a few rowdy students who have not grown up.

BD80
11-20-2015, 07:59 AM
... please do not judge Maryland fans on a few rowdy students who have not grown up.

I, for one, judge them for tolerating the actions of the few rowdy students and allowing it to continue game after game. There has never been a crack down on the hooliganism, but rather an implicit approval under the guise of needed more spirit in the stands.

Billy Dat
11-20-2015, 08:57 AM
Looks like a picture of someone heating up a penny.

I first looked at it on my phone and once I saw it on my larger screen I realized what it was. I am very happy that we collectively refrained from stooping that low. Terp or not, Len Bias was a gift to hoops fans.

In a week, I will be on this board getting advice from you on how Maryland can beat North Carolina on 12/1.

Make them sit for an exam proctored by someone outside the faculty.

hudlow
11-20-2015, 09:13 AM
I first looked at it on my phone and once I saw it on my larger screen I realized what it was. I am very happy that we collectively refrained from stooping that low. Terp or not, Len Bias was a gift to hoops fans.

Thank-you, I was a big fan of Bias and Lefty. It was a great tragedy for college basketball. I'd never attempt to use that situation to belittle anyone.

I apologize for the confusion.

hud

kAzE
11-20-2015, 12:54 PM
kAzE, I appreciate many of your takes, but I'm just not feeling this one about Sulaimon. From whom would he take playing time? Grayson? I would not agree with that at all as I think Grayson has much more potential on the college level than does Sulaimon.

Kennard then? Taking minutes from Luke would disturb me just as much or more. His upside is way beyond anything RS has to offer. No, there is no place for Sulaimon on this team.

We likely would have waited until next year to recruit another point guard, and thus, he would be taking all of Derryck Thornton's minutes, as well as some minutes from Allen and Kennard. Nothing against Thornton, I'm still very high on him, but another year of high school ball wouldn't have hurt. This is all hypothetical obviously, but I think it's apparent from the UK game that Allen is not ready to be the main ball handler for this team yet, and decreasing a reliance on freshman ball handlers is almost always going to be a positive. Sulaimon's averaging 6 assists and 4.0 A/TO currently, while nobody on our team is averaging more than 3 assists per game, and we're seeing the lowest assist to made FG ratio we've had in several years. We're at 38.5% this year compared to last year's 53.5% and 54.8% the year before that. Sulaimon has always been a gifted ball handler and passer. Mark Turgeon is using him as the main distributor and it's working out nicely for Maryland. Melo Trimble is a shooting guard in a point guard's body, so he works out much better when he can focus on scoring.

Do you know, for sure, we would have ended up with this year's best recruiting class if Rasheed was on this year's team?

We would not have needed the top recruiting class this year if we had an additional 4th year player already. The goal of this team every year is to put the best possible team on the floor, (freshman playing time is earned, not given) and to win a national championship. The goal has never been getting the top recruiting class every year. Getting top high school talent is nice, but when you can retain good talent, that's the real win. Seniors are almost always going to be better than comparable freshman.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-20-2015, 02:54 PM

Put me in this camp - under the most forgiving interpretation of events, Sheed couldn't put the team's needs above his own and repeatedly showed poor work ethic and a lack of willingness to listen to the coaching staff. If this is true, I'm not interested in continuing to support him, as he completely squandered and opportunity that I would have done just about ANYTHING for. I have a hard time forgiving someone who had such an astonishing chance to be a part of something that I hold so dearly.

At worst, the whispered allegations about him are true, and I'm even less interested in rooting for him.

It does sound like the entire Duke experience has taught him something (I recall the story of him watching the championship game) and hopefully he can grow from that. But I'm not going to wring my hands over his comments about Terp fans being the best ever, I don't consider him a "Duke guy," and I won't be rooting for him any more than I do for the rest of the Terrapins.

AtlDuke72
11-20-2015, 04:11 PM
[QUOTE=kAzE;839685]Ok, Nostradamus, what does your crystal ball tell us for this year?

WHERE WOULD WE BE IF THE GERMANS HAD NOT BOMBED PEARL HARBOR?

killerleft
11-20-2015, 11:52 PM

Make them sit for an exam proctored by someone outside the faculty.

It apparently only occurred to one of us. I thought it was a protest against Abraham Lincoln for helping Jay Bilas free the slaves.:)

BD80
11-21-2015, 06:13 PM
Interesting comment on Md's struggles:

Sulaimon is not the easiest fit due to his ball-heavy style of play on the offensive end.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25383282/no-3-maryland-survives-another-scare-rallies-late-to-beat-rider

Amusing, but I believe true.

MChambers
11-21-2015, 07:08 PM
Interesting comment on Md's struggles:

Sulaimon is not the easiest fit due to his ball-heavy style of play on the offensive end.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25383282/no-3-maryland-survives-another-scare-rallies-late-to-beat-rider

Amusing, but I believe true.
Think that was one of his weaknesses at Duke.