PDA

View Full Version : 3 Players Dismissed From Duke Football Program

dukebsbll14
11-17-2015, 12:56 PM
Via Cutcliffe's press conference, "#Duke HC @DavidCutcliffe announces WR Terrence Alls, WR Johnell Barnes & LB Chris Holmes have been dismissed from the program."

https://twitter.com/Duke_FB/status/666671588381605888

CDu
11-17-2015, 12:57 PM
Oh my. That's not good news.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-17-2015, 01:03 PM
Here's the full announcement:
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210506994&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Friction behind the scenes derails what a team can do on the field. During Saturday's Devil Walk that was a brief incident of friction between two players. It was over so quickly, I couldn't tell you who they were.

Sometimes bad things have to be dealt with before good things can happen.

dukebsbll14
11-17-2015, 01:05 PM
In light of the recent dismissals, and for all Coach Cut talks about upholding standards, I can't help but bring up this: why is Hud Mellencamp still on the Duke football team?

-In April, he pleaded guilty to battery resulting in bodily injury and received a one year suspension and community service. http://fox59.com/2015/04/10/john-mellencamps-sons-sentenced-after-2013-beating/

-Clear alcohol and behavioral issues http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/free_access/lawyer-promises-hud-mellencamp-will-get-alcohol-treatment-behave/article_ec412160-135c-11e4-be19-0017a43b2370.html

-This year, after the Duke/VT game, he tweeted out "F*** Beamer Ball"

The only reason I can think of to keep him on the team is to give him a chance to improve himself and keep him out of trouble. But clearly in 4 years, he hasn't done that. And why is he getting special treatment when other players are being dismissed.

I trust Cut. I love Duke football. But this is not right. Why is Hud Mellencamp still on the Duke football team?

flyingdutchdevil
11-17-2015, 01:24 PM
In light of the recent dismissals, and for all Coach Cut talks about upholding standards, I can't help but bring up this: why is Hud Mellencamp still on the Duke football team?

-In April, he pleaded guilty to battery resulting in bodily injury and received a one year suspension and community service. http://fox59.com/2015/04/10/john-mellencamps-sons-sentenced-after-2013-beating/

-Clear alcohol and behavioral issues http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/free_access/lawyer-promises-hud-mellencamp-will-get-alcohol-treatment-behave/article_ec412160-135c-11e4-be19-0017a43b2370.html

The only reason I can think of to keep him on the team is to give him a chance to improve himself and keep him out of trouble. But clearly in 4 years, he hasn't done that. And why is he getting special treatment when other players are being dismissed.

I trust Cut. I love Duke football. But this is not right. Why is Hud Mellencamp still on the Duke football team?

Does having the last name Mellencamp having anything to do with it? ie $$$ to Duke University?

Wander
11-17-2015, 01:26 PM
Things have really been great since the Miami non-touchdown, huh?

dukebsbll14
11-17-2015, 01:36 PM
Does having the last name Mellencamp having anything to do with it? ie $$$ to Duke University?

That could be another reason. And if that is the case, then I would be extremely disappointed with Cutcliffe. So our players can do whatever they want so long as their parents are giving the school lots of money? Great.

uh_no
11-17-2015, 01:38 PM
That could be another reason. And if that is the case, then I would be extremely disappointed with Cutcliffe. So our players can do whatever they want so long as their parents are giving the school lots of money? Great.

his hands could be tied....

and that is most certainly true at duke and many other institutions. giving enough money can get little johnny out of anything.

dukejim1
11-17-2015, 01:42 PM

If you believe that then you haven't listened to much Coach Cut has said or stood for over the time he has been out Coach. I feel sure Coach would have more information than we have in all these cases and would have made a fair decision. Why would a Coach that turned down significant $ from another coaching offer sell out to a rock star.

CDu
11-17-2015, 01:43 PM
his hands could be tied...

and that is most certainly true at duke and many other institutions. giving enough money can get little johnny out of anything.

Most likely the case. Just gotta ride it out with him for another few months, I guess.

dukebsbll14
11-17-2015, 01:47 PM
If you believe that then you haven't listened to much Coach Cut has said or stood for over the time he has been out Coach. I feel sure Coach would have more information than we have in all these cases and would have made a fair decision. Why would a Coach that turned down significant $ from another coaching offer sell out to a rock star.

I just want an explanation as to what Hud is doing that is allowing him to keep his spot on the team versus the other players who have been dismissed. If this kid wasn't related to a rock legend he wouldn't even be on the team in the first place.

duke09hms
11-17-2015, 01:47 PM

lol might be jumping to conclusions there. So one alcohol-related non-DUI incident in 2013 and 1 tweet from 2015, and you want him kicked off the team? And he's a walk-on.

I wonder how the loss of Alls and Barnes will affect us going forward. Alls were supposed to be the best receiver in pre-season but hasn't shown much since coming back from his own suspension. In his place, Barnes was the deep threat but had a penchant for drops.

For this season, it's probably a positive because it removes a team distraction, hopefully forces the inept Scottie Montgomery to lean on the run game (wasn't he the former WR coach that recruited Alls/Barnes?), and lets Nash and Deaver play a bigger role.

Where it hurts us is next season when they ostensibly would have matured into better receivers. We will need Trevon Lee and Chris Taylor to step up and justify their recruiting rankings. Nice that Nash is coming back.

dukebsbll14
11-17-2015, 01:52 PM
lol might be jumping to conclusions there. So one alcohol-related non-DUI incident in 2013 and 1 tweet from 2015, and you want him kicked off the team? And he's a walk-on.

What if Thomas Sirk or McCaffrey or Conner Vernon assaulted someone? Would you root for them? What do you think would happen if one of our basketball players attacked a kid?

Everyone needs to be held to the same standards. Walk-on or starter.

Also, it is a little concerning that you just brush it off as an "alcohol related non-DUI incident." He and two others attacked a kid on his front porch. That is awful.

duke09hms
11-17-2015, 02:04 PM
What if Thomas Sirk or McCaffrey or Conner Vernon assaulted someone? Would you root for them? What do you think would happen if one of our basketball players attacked a kid?

Well he doesn't play, so I don't really root for him anyway. And the ones who do play, haven't done anything similar as far as I know, so it's hard to insinuate double-standard. Maybe if he was shooting off guns like John Drew (our first good DT) or getting DUIs like Alls' suspension buddy a few months ago without getting kicked off, it'd be different.

Perhaps Cut thought being named Hud and Speck (his brother) was enough punishment.

OldPhiKap
11-17-2015, 02:19 PM
This is sad news. Too bad the thread is derailed.

I wish the young men the best going forward. I like Johnell.

dukebsbll14
11-17-2015, 02:19 PM
Well he doesn't play, so I don't really root for him anyway. And the ones who do play, haven't done anything similar as far as I know, so it's hard to insinuate double-standard. Maybe if he was shooting off guns like John Drew (our first good DT) or getting DUIs like Alls' suspension buddy a few months ago without getting kicked off, it'd be different.

Perhaps Cut thought being named Hud and Speck (his brother) was enough punishment.

He is still on the team, and gets the privileges that come with it.

And how is attacking another person not grounds from removal? And almost every week a Duke coach tweets out something about how they "monitor players and recruits social media." Either he has slipped through the cracks and no one cares or there's something else going on.

allenmurray
11-17-2015, 02:20 PM

Also, it is a little concerning that you just brush it off as an "alcohol related non-DUI incident." He and two others attacked a kid on his front porch. That is awful.

Cutcliffe probably has details that you don't, access to information you can't access, and knowledge of consequences that may not have been made public.

Cut's handling of character and behavior issues has been strong, yet you offer ahead coach with a no-nonsense approach no benefit of the doubt. Why are you assuming the worst?

CameronBornAndBred
11-17-2015, 02:21 PM
Friction behind the scenes derails what a team can do on the field. During Saturday's Devil Walk that was a brief incident of friction between two players. It was over so quickly, I couldn't tell you who they were.

Sometimes bad things have to be dealt with before good things can happen.
You follow the team closely, and you may be right. The pre-game walk is the worst place you would want to see team discontent. Normally I would think academics, but I wouldn't expect that to be the reason for three players' dismissal.

“This is, without doubt, the most difficult thing teams and coaches face. This is not a reaction to anything that has occurred during the last couple weeks. This has been something that we have worked very hard with these young men to continue to understand what's expected of them," Cutcliffe said in a statement.
I'm proud we have a coaching staff that makes the tough and correct decisions though. It is too bad that it comes at the expense of the team with such productive players. As they say in Cameron..."you let the whole team down."

dukebsbll14
11-17-2015, 02:22 PM
Cutcliffe probably has details that you don't, access to information you can't access, and knowledge of consequences that may not have been made public.

Cut's handling of character and behavior issues has been strong, yet you offer ahead coach with a no-nonsense approach no benefit of the doubt. Why are you assuming the worst?

I sure hope he does.

Anyways, I'm done talking about this now. I just wanted to bring it to people's attention.

duke09hms
11-17-2015, 02:25 PM

Yep, agree entirely here. Given the high standards that Cut has publicly held high contributing players to (suspending Duncan for a year, expelling Barnes/Alls/Drew), I think we can give him the benefit of the doubt here. Especially when he has way more information than we do on the situation.

Unfortunate for the team here, hopefully it will allow us to focus moving forward and take down UVA. Will need Nash to stretch the field and Rahming to get his mental game together. Have Taylor and Lee got any playing time this season yet?

duke09hms
11-17-2015, 02:31 PM

Hahaha just to derail the thread further, the kid is pretty funny on twitter. But really bad karma for Duke football.

After the "F*** Beamer Ball. Duke gang!" tweet, he deletes it and tweets "Autocorrect ... am I right?" We proceed to lose* to Miami.

Before the UNC game, he tweets: "One hour in Chapel Hill, and I already have a UNC degree." Blowout loss, delete tweet.

FerryFor50
11-17-2015, 03:05 PM

I find your choice of sample players to be... curious. At worst, you're implying something that you should probably quit while you're ahead on.

Unless you know what Barnes, Alls and Holmes did to get dismissed, you should probably refrain from loosely backed conspiracy theories.

CameronBornAndBred
11-17-2015, 03:21 PM
I find your choice of sample players to be... curious. At worst, you're implying something that you should probably quit while you're ahead on.

Unless you know what Barnes, Alls and Holmes did to get dismissed, you should probably refrain from loosely backed conspiracy theories.
To be fair, he's referencing Mellencamp, who did get arrested for assaulting someone. It wasn't disputed. (At least not the fact that he was arrested.)

FerryFor50
11-17-2015, 03:25 PM
To be fair, he's referencing Mellencamp, who did get arrested for assaulting someone. It wasn't disputed. (At least not the fact that he was arrested.)

Right. Who was also similar in appearance to his other examples. And added to the implication.

wilson
11-17-2015, 03:32 PM
...giving enough money can get little johnny out of anything.Well, I mean...Ain't that America?

FerryFor50
11-17-2015, 03:34 PM
Well, I mean...Ain't that America?

That was well played, sir!

budwom
11-17-2015, 03:35 PM
I'll leave the squabbling about Mellencamp to others (he never plays, I see it as a completed non issue).

Disappointing to see three guys dismissed, but from a pure football point of view, no big deal. Barnes has
lagged expectations for years and doesn't seem to have good hands (not good if you're a wide receiver).
Holmes is already surpassed by other better young linebackers, and we have a slew of terrific LBs coming in next year.
And Alls has been All Potential for a couple years now, but shown little.

So I'm sorry this happened, but I don't see much impact.

Richard Berg
11-17-2015, 03:51 PM
Hopefully it has a galvanizing effect on the remaining players, a la Sulaimon. Focus wins football.

More pertinently, I hope it conveys the appropriate message to the troubled young men, whatever that is. Actions have consequences; taking responsibility is more important than winning.

Olympic Fan
11-17-2015, 03:53 PM
I'll leave the squabbling about Mellencamp to others (he never plays, I see it as a completed non issue).

Disappointing to see three guys dismissed, but from a pure football point of view, no big deal. Barnes has
lagged expectations for years and doesn't seem to have good hands (not good if you're a wide receiver).
Holmes is already surpassed by other better young linebackers, and we have a slew of terrific LBs coming in next year.
And Alls has been All Potential for a couple years now, but shown little.

So I'm sorry this happened, but I don't see much impact.

Well, it does hurt our wide receiver depth badly.

We have McCaffrey, Rahming and Nash as starters ... then who? Chris Taylor showed a lot of promise in preseason, but has been hurt all year. Trevon Lee came in with a big prep rep, but has been a major disappointment. Ryan Smith and Quay Chambers are the other WR options. Neither Lee nor Chambers have ever caught a pass in a live game.

Barnes was an underachiever to some degree, but he was our No. 2 receiver with 34 catches for 411 yards. Alls missed most of the season with a suspension, but he's made some players since he came back -- six catches for 56 yards -- which is more in four games than Trevon Lee, Chris Taylor and Quay Chambers have managed all year.

Chris Holmes was another major disappointment. Going into the 2014 season, the coaches really seemed to think he had something at LB. But after the first 3-4 games, he barely played. And he's barely gotten off the bench this season. He's a loss in terms of his potential, but not in terms of his production.

The one good thing about the dismissals is that it opens three spots up in a recruiting class that is getting tight. I hope one of the open 'ships can go to another play-making WR and the other two can go to a couple of pass rushing DEs.

That's unless Duke hits the jackpot on Dec. 14, when Dexter Lawrence announces his choice. The Wake Forest kid is the No. 2 DT prospect in the country and is being pursued by Alabama, LSU, Florida State and every other big program in the country. We're on the list because he lives an hour away and is an honor student. I'm told our changes are infinitesimal, but my attitude is like the guy in Dumb ad Dumber, "so you're saying there's a chance?"

Atlanta Duke
11-17-2015, 05:00 PM
The N&O story on the dismissal notes that Johnell Barnes previously was disciplined for an altercation at Shooters II.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article45228537.html

If someone ever wrote a screenplay about life at Duke it apparently would be necessary that several major scenes occur at Shooters II, a venue which seems to make it into stories about Duke as often as Cameron and the Chapel.

sagegrouse
11-18-2015, 10:47 AM

Is this different information? It looks like a misdemeanor to me.

By Laura Lane 812-331-4362 | llane@heraldt.com | 33 comments

The felony battery charges against Hud and Speck Mellencamp were reduced to misdemeanors during a court hearing Friday; they both pleaded guilty and one will spend four days in jail.

Because medical records did not substantiate “serious bodily injury” as charged in the original felony battery case, the charges against the sons of musician John Mellencamp and model Elaine Irwin were downgraded.

Tom B.
11-18-2015, 11:26 AM
If someone ever wrote a screenplay about life at Duke it apparently would be necessary that several major scenes occur at Shooters II, a venue which seems to make it into stories about Duke as often as Cameron and the Chapel.

Someone already wrote that screenplay -- sort of -- and yes, Shooters II figures prominently (http://deadspin.com/5652280/the-full-duke-university-I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.-list-thesis-from-a-former-female-student/).

[Ducks.]

duke79
11-18-2015, 12:27 PM
Someone already wrote that screenplay -- sort of -- and yes, Shooters II figures prominently (http://deadspin.com/5652280/the-full-duke-university-I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.-list-thesis-from-a-former-female-student/).

[Ducks.]

God, let's not re-visit that embarrassment !! LOL

weezie
11-18-2015, 04:54 PM
I'm too old for the Shooters scene but I've been in there and it's really just a smelly old place. Even when packed with nimrod students. Guess I just answered my own question...doiiih

flyingdutchdevil
11-18-2015, 06:37 PM
I'm too old for the Shooters scene but I've been in there and it's really just a smelly old place. Even when packed with nimrod students. Guess I just answered my own question...doiiih

Are you calling 80% of the Duke student body - probably more even - nimrods?

Guess I'm a nimrod. Didn't know it was a crime to party.

weezie
11-19-2015, 07:22 PM
...I'm a nimrod. Didn't know it was a crime to party.

No, (don't take offense, just a jooooke dear flyingdutchdevil) but sometimes you gotta fight boom---boom for your right boomboom to parrrrrrty!

Henderson
11-19-2015, 07:50 PM
There are only three guys I've ever heard of named, "Hud".

Paul Newman in the eponymous film, Hud Mellencamp, and my cat.

All three seem like bad-axe mobile truckers, though I've only met one of them in person. And that cat is one mean dude. If I sent tape to Cut, my cat would be suited up against Virginia.

Anyway, if the posts regarding Hud M. are correct, it does make me wonder what the criteria are for being booted from the football team. Are they a matter of record anywhere?

wilson
11-19-2015, 09:59 PM
I've been to Shooters II many times, but did anyone ever figure out where the hell Shooters I is?

duke blue brewcrew
11-20-2015, 09:22 AM
I just want an explanation as to what Hud is doing that is allowing him to keep his spot on the team versus the other players who have been dismissed. If this kid wasn't related to a rock legend he wouldn't even be on the team in the first place.

I would have to disagree with you there. The kid clearly has athletic ability...he's a gold glove boxer, and that doesn't happen by accident or for an average Joe. I'm not saying he deserves to be on the team because of his behavioral issues, you make a good point initially. That said, to say the kid doesn't possess some skill level worthy of consideration for a special teams role, or back-up to the back-up, is speculative opinion at best.

duke blue brewcrew
11-20-2015, 09:30 AM
The one good thing about the dismissals is that it opens three spots up in a recruiting class that is getting tight. I hope one of the open 'ships can go to another play-making WR and the other two can go to a couple of pass rushing DEs.

That's unless Duke hits the jackpot on Dec. 14, when Dexter Lawrence announces his choice. The Wake Forest kid is the No. 2 DT prospect in the country and is being pursued by Alabama, LSU, Florida State and every other big program in the country. We're on the list because he lives an hour away and is an honor student. I'm told our changes are infinitesimal, but my attitude is like the guy in Dumb ad Dumber, "so you're saying there's a chance?"

That was my very first thought, Duke just opened up three recruiting spots for largely disappointing players that just couldn't seem to put it together at the college level. Depending on the player in question, that could be an on the field thing, an off the field thing, or a combination of the two.

jimsumner
11-20-2015, 11:40 AM
That was my very first thought, Duke just opened up three recruiting spots for largely disappointing players that just couldn't seem to put it together at the college level. Depending on the player in question, that could be an on the field thing, an off the field thing, or a combination of the two.

I may be reading an implication here that was not intended or even the product of my fevered imagination.

But Duke did not open up recruiting spots for largely disappointing players. Duke doesn't run off disappointing players.

And all three of these guys still figured in Duke's future. Even with his consistency issues, Barnes was one of Duke's two best receivers this season. His career was frustrating because of his enormous--if untapped--potential. Alls had played pretty well after coming back from suspension and there's a good chance Holmes would have replaced Norman in the two-deep at linebacker next season.

Finding three more scholarships comes under the heading of making lemonade out of lemons. But Duke didn't create the lemons. Barnes, Alls and Holmes did.

duke blue brewcrew
11-20-2015, 01:28 PM
I may be reading an implication here that was not intended or even the product of my fevered imagination.

But Duke did not open up recruiting spots for largely disappointing players. Duke doesn't run off disappointing players.

And all three of these guys still figured in Duke's future. Even with his consistency issues, Barnes was one of Duke's two best receivers this season. His career was frustrating because of his enormous--if untapped--potential. Alls had played pretty well after coming back from suspension and there's a good chance Holmes would have replaced Norman in the two-deep at linebacker next season.

Finding three more scholarships comes under the heading of making lemonade out of lemons. But Duke didn't create the lemons. Barnes, Alls and Holmes did.

My comments were definitely of the making lemonade variety. I fully suspect that all three players made their bed, and are now lying in it. Duke now has to make the best of the situation by HOPEFULLY adding three more players to the program who ultimately have more successful Blue Devil careers than did Barnes, Alls and Holmes.

left_hook_lacey
11-20-2015, 01:36 PM
Well, I mean...Ain't that America?

Tried to spork, couldn't spork. Wanted to spork, couldn't spork. Needed to spork.

jimsumner
11-20-2015, 01:54 PM
Tried to spork, couldn't spork. Wanted to spork, couldn't spork. Needed to spork.

Hey, you fight the spork authority, the spork authority always wins.

devildeac
11-20-2015, 02:07 PM
Hey, you fight the spork authority, the spork authority always wins.

You're rolling today, Jim, with Winwood and Mellencamp references all within a few hours of each other. Still 'roiding? :rolleyes: :D