PDA

View Full Version : Time Warner Speed Bump

moonpie23
11-15-2015, 10:08 AM
got mine a couple of weeks ago....It's rocking by ethernet connection, however i'm only getting about 120Mbs through wifi. I understand that i might reach 200 if i get a CA adapter, but the good ones are $79...i think i can just deal with the slower wifi and just plug the cable in when i need the faster speed..

waiting on the google gigabit....

weezie
11-15-2015, 10:31 AM
I'm veeeerrrrrry envious. Out here in Boonieville, we have the Verizon water torture known as the "can-tennae." If a cloud passes five miles above, we're toast. :(

snowdenscold
11-16-2015, 09:23 PM
I've found that past a certain point, your advertised speed is more a marketing ploy than something that will make a meaningful difference.

This is mostly because there aren't many applications that are going to require large speeds by themselves - even really nice HD video (e.g., 4K) might only run you 15 Mbps. And that and other apps will be limited by what the server (or other person) is providing on the remote end, or some slowest link in between, which will probably be less than your last mile advertised access.

In other words, unless you have a ton of different people in your house all doing top-end video simultaneously (or perhaps constant, heavy-duty P2P file-sharing which isn't throttled by your ISP), I don't see what difference 100 vs 200 Mbps would make for anyone. Or even 50 vs 100 for that matter.

moonpie23
11-17-2015, 09:48 AM
i have to move large audio files to and from servers......more speed is desirable.....and appreciated...