PDA

View Full Version : What to use for live scoreboard/boxscores?

awhom111
11-15-2015, 01:31 AM
With the new ESPN and Yahoo sites, neither is as good as it used to be. I have tried a variety of hardware and browsers in the past two days and ESPN is a huge resource hog on all of them on top of displaying less games in more space. I used to have them open for live scores all day long. Yahoo seems to not carry all of the games live and their new boxscores are not that great. ESPN boxscores are still fine since they are the old format, but the resource hogginess of it makes it tough to open a lot of them at the same time. Unfortunately my favorite site for college football and pro sports does not cover college basketball live.

Any suggestions on what to use this season?

Bluedevil114
11-15-2015, 08:54 AM
With the new ESPN and Yahoo sites, neither is as good as it used to be. I have tried a variety of hardware and browsers in the past two days and ESPN is a huge resource hog on all of them on top of displaying less games in more space. I used to have them open for live scores all day long. Yahoo seems to not carry all of the games live and their new boxscores are not that great. ESPN boxscores are still fine since they are the old format, but the resource hogginess of it makes it tough to open a lot of them at the same time. Unfortunately my favorite site for college football and pro sports does not cover college basketball live.

Any suggestions on what to use this season?

I was at a party last night during the game so I was unable to watch the game on ESPN3. I typically use CBS sports and they give a great up to date play by play and box score. Try that site. I was able to follow in real time on my phone.

Indoor66
11-15-2015, 09:08 AM
http://www.scacchoops.com/bryant-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-11142015

A link to the abovementioned is usually posted to the in game threads. I find the info current and mostly accurate. Additionally there are links to other games of interest. On top of that, I believe the site owner is from Durham and is a a DBR member.

uh_no
11-15-2015, 09:43 AM
http://www.scacchoops.com/bryant-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-11142015

A link to the abovementioned is usually posted to the in game threads. I find the info current and mostly accurate. Additionally there are links to other games of interest. On top of that, I believe the site owner is from Durham and is a a DBR member.

this is the only answer. live tempo-adjusted stats? yes please!

moonpie23
11-15-2015, 09:59 AM
i use the Sportacular app - yahoo sports...very easy to customize to JUST what you want to keep up with.....

play by play seems fairly quick...

awhom111
11-16-2015, 01:19 AM
SCACC has something less than all DI games, right? It is obviously the best live boxscore for games of particular interest (ours of course), but ideally I am looking for something that has everything for times when Duke is not playing and suddenly another game gets interesting, like if a low major game on a small regional network goes into triple overtime or something.

I did try CBS today, but there were a few hiccups. ESPN is unfortunately still the superior option for women's basketball, which I also need a site for each day. My main ESPN complaint has to be the localized timezone. For whatever reason I always get confused by times listed in my Pacific timezone.

uh_no
11-16-2015, 01:32 AM
SCACC has something less than all DI games, right?

wrong....it has all games afaik, though is acc focused.

http://www.scacchoops.com/NCAAScoreboard.asp?sDate=20151114

that was saturday for example.

lotusland
11-16-2015, 06:32 AM
wrong...it has all games afaik, though is acc focused.

Phone App available ?

uh_no
11-16-2015, 09:26 AM
Phone App available ?

yes.

you open your browser and go to "scacchoops.com"

/s

to be honest, I don't get the obsession with every little thing being an app. heck, you can even make it a bookmark.....

flyingdutchdevil
11-16-2015, 09:50 AM
Call me old fashioned. I don't need hardcore efficiency or any other type of metrics while it's in game. Just need a reliable platform that looks good and is easily navigable and provides points, rebounds, assists, and, most importantly, fouls. That's ESPN.

uh_no
11-16-2015, 10:32 AM
Call me old fashioned. I don't need hardcore efficiency or any other type of metrics while it's in game. Just need a reliable platform that looks good and is easily navigable and provides points, rebounds, assists, and, most importantly, fouls. That's ESPN.

eh.

I don't pore over stats while in game, but sometimes it's nice when it's 24-18 at halftime...did our offense stink or was it just a slow half?

flyingdutchdevil
11-16-2015, 11:30 AM
eh.

I don't pore over stats while in game, but sometimes it's nice when it's 24-18 at halftime...did our offense stink or was it just a slow half?

You say po-tay-to. I say po-ta-to. To each his own.

-jk
11-16-2015, 04:04 PM
Phone App available ?

SCACC has a low bandwidth link on the main stats pages.

-jk

lotusland
11-16-2015, 05:44 PM
yes.

you open your browser and go to "scacchoops.com"

/s

to be honest, I don't get the obsession with every little thing being an app. heck, you can even make it a bookmark....

I have the Yahoo and ESPN Apps but I tend to use Yahoo the most but I don't really have a problem with either. I punch the app and it comes up while I sip my beer, watch the game, nibble on a snack or anything I feel like doing other than opening my browser and clicking on a bookmark. When I'm using my phone, which is most of the time, that's easier. It's not an obsession it's pure laziness and selfishness with my time. But if/when the other folks build a better mousetrap maybe I'll give it a try.

awhom111
11-16-2015, 10:01 PM
wrong...it has all games afaik, though is acc focused.

It seems to have a bunch but not all. Here are some that I think are missing from today:
Wyoming Indiana State
NJIT South Florida
George Mason Mercer
Holy Cross Brown
Central State Detroit
Hiwassee Chattanooga
Morgan State Towson
Molloy Hofstra
Campbell Savannah State
Texas Wesleyan Florida Gulf Coast
Texas Rio Grande Valley North Florida
SC Upstate Presbyterian
Laroche Longwood
Cornell Colgate
Eastern Kentucky UNC Wilmington
Lehigh Canisius
Hiram Akron
Eastern Illinois Ball State
Sacred Heart Yale
Voorhees South Carolina State
FDU-Florham Fairleigh Dickinson
Bethune-Cookman Tennessee-Martin
LSU-Alexandria Northwestern State
Manchester IPFW
Morehead State Illinois State
Schreiner Incarnate Word
Weber State South Dakota State
Texas-Tyler Texas State
Crowley's Ridge Houston Baptist
Auburn Montgomery Samford
Oakwood Jacksonville State
Allen NC Central
Lyon Arkansas State
Tennessee Tech Air Force
Dickinson State Idaho State
Alabama State UAB
Manhattan St. Mary's
Lamar Fresno State
Pacific Lutheran Portland State

At least two of those games are ones that I want to track live so that site will probably remain only for advanced stats boxscores for me.

What browser/operating system combination are you using for ESPN? It seemed to work better for me yesterday, but I am having issues again today. Perhaps it can't handle me having both the women's and men's scoreboards up at the same time?

SCMatt33
11-16-2015, 10:03 PM
I was running into this same problem and just downloaded Sports Alerts. I've used it on my iPad and iPhone and it seems to work great for fast updates. It's very customize-able with several options for sports that you want it to display including women's basketball if you keep up with that. You can also set it to default to top 25, all Division I or just one conference within the app. It also has a widget on ios so you can check scores without even unlocking your phone (though this feature is limited to top 25 or your designated favorite teams only). It also has real time box scores and play by play, though for basketball the box score is limited to counting stats (Pts, Reb, Ast, Blk, Stl, and PF). Since I just downloaded it over the weekend, I can't tell if it will work as well on cell data as on Wi-Fi, but the reviews I've seen are pretty good. Tomorrow will definitely be the first chance to see how well it does while checking up on day games.

awhom111
11-20-2015, 09:50 PM
For scoreboard only, I am actually finding ncaa.com to work pretty well.