Bo knows basketball:rolleyes: .

JNort
11-14-2015, 12:37 AM
Cmon NCSU... really to W&M?

Wander
11-14-2015, 01:22 AM
WIU 69, Wis 67

Since we didn't lose in the tournament last year (:)), does this count as the Duke curse?

BD80
11-14-2015, 08:13 AM
Cmon NCSU... really to W&M?

By 17?

At home?

NashvilleDevil
11-14-2015, 08:17 AM
The Tony Parkers lost to Monmouth

BD80
11-14-2015, 09:32 AM
WIU 69, Wis 67

The Western Illinois Leathernecks, "projected by Summit League coaches to finish LAST in its conference"

camion
11-14-2015, 09:39 AM
WIU 69, Wis 67

It will be interesting to see how the Badgers do against their next opponent, Siena.

BD80
11-14-2015, 12:22 PM
It will be interesting to see how the Badgers do against their next opponent, Siena.

If Whisky beats Sienna by 20, does that mean they should be National Champions?

Indoor66
11-14-2015, 05:46 PM

Ask Bo, Bo always knows. :cool:

SCMatt33
11-14-2015, 07:17 PM
Since we didn't lose in the tournament last year (:)), does this count as the Duke curse?

I guess it's time to start the Kentucky curse. Remember how we beat Kentucky in 92, but then lost to Lehigh and Mercer, clearly the Kentucky curse:p. Of course, with Georgetown adding their hat into this ring, Duke and VCU have to be on alert as it seems to be spreading among the 2K Sports field.

FerryFor50
11-15-2015, 01:23 AM
Butler drops 144 on the Citadel. That's like 200 points for most teams.

OldPhiKap
11-15-2015, 09:34 AM

Bill Walton, is that you?

BD80
11-15-2015, 10:16 AM

Sometimes. Depends on the dosage.

Olympic Fan
11-15-2015, 01:01 PM

Speaking of Walton, did anybody catch any of the Texas-Washington game from China late Friday night. I watched it after getting home from the Duke opener.

It was a decent game, but what captivated me was Walton's commentary. I can't begin to describe how insane his rambling commentary was -- maybe it was something out of Hunter S. Thompson ... or Lewis Carroll. He never stopped talking and his comments had little to do with the game or basketball. He talked a lot about China and how great it was. At one point the cameras caught Yao Ming at courtside and he went off on why Ming was the most remarkable person in the world -- not for his height, but for his courage, his vision, his humanity ... he went on for 10 minutes. I swear his was pimping Ming for a Nobel Peace Prize. But that was about the most rational part of his hour long rant (an hour that I listened).

I can't begin to relate how bizarre it was -- it was like nothing I've ever heard, even from Walton.

Did anybody else listen in?

Potato Head
11-15-2015, 01:22 PM
Speaking of Walton, did anybody catch any of the Texas-Washington game from China late Friday night. I watched it after getting home from the Duke opener.

It was a decent game, but what captivated me was Walton's commentary. I can't begin to describe how insane his rambling commentary was -- maybe it was something out of Hunter S. Thompson ... or Lewis Carroll. He never stopped talking and his comments had little to do with the game or basketball. He talked a lot about China and how great it was. At one point the cameras caught Yao Ming at courtside and he went off on why Ming was the most remarkable person in the world -- not for his height, but for his courage, his vision, his humanity ... he went on for 10 minutes. I swear his was pimping Ming for a Nobel Peace Prize. But that was about the most rational part of his hour long rant (an hour that I listened).

I can't begin to relate how bizarre it was -- it was like nothing I've ever heard, even from Walton.

Did anybody else listen in?

I didn't, but it sounds like any number of Pac-12 games that he broadcasted that I listened in on last season. In a couple of games he seemed to openly antagonize his PBP commentator, although I read that they both said afterwards that they both enjoy doing games with each other. I used to think he was amusingly weird, but there's nothing amusing about it anymore. He just sounds like some sort of annoying mystic cult leader who occasionally will talk about the game whenever he feels bothered to do his job.

Olympic Fan
11-15-2015, 01:53 PM
I didn't, but it sounds like any number of Pac-12 games that he broadcasted that I listened in on last season. In a couple of games he seemed to openly antagonize his PBP commentator, although I read that they both said afterwards that they both enjoy doing games with each other. I used to think he was amusingly weird, but there's nothing amusing about it anymore. He just sounds like some sort of annoying mystic cult leader who occasionally will talk about the game whenever he feels bothered to do his job.

Not to be dismissive, but I've heard Walton dozens of times on Pac 12 commentary. I know what he's like, normally.

Believe me, what I heard Friday night was a million times more bizarre than his normal crazy commentary.

OldPhiKap
11-24-2015, 09:50 PM
Really enjoying Bobby Hurley v. Wojo right now. Hard to pick a team to root for over the other.

fuse
11-28-2015, 08:55 AM
I was sad to see him go, although it's fair to say maybe he never would have cracked the rotation at Duke.

Will be interesting to see how we guard a confident Gbinije this season.

Congratulations to a former Duke player realizing his potential.

Olympic Fan
11-28-2015, 11:08 AM
Did anybody else stay up late to watch Providence top Arizona late last night?

Wow, any talking head still pimping Ben Simmons as player of the year should be forced to watch Providence as see what a REAL NPOY candidate looks like. Kris Dunn just put the Friars on his back and carried them past Zona. He was a devastating player at both ends of the court -- and he's been doing it for years. He is probably the top 2015 draft prospect who returned to school.

The thing is, he was content to be a playmaker for much of the game -- he passed out eight assists in the first 35 minutes or so. But with his team in major foul trouble and Arizona nursing a 5-6 point lead, he did what Simmons is clearly incapable of doing this moment - he scored 10 straight points to key his team's 69-65 victory.

I saw Dunn last year and he was one of the quickest, smartest point guards in college basketball. This year he's added strength.

For the moment, he's my NPOY frontrunner.

MCFinARL
11-28-2015, 03:06 PM
I was sad to see him go, although it's fair to say maybe he never would have cracked the rotation at Duke.

Will be interesting to see how we guard a confident Gbinije this season.

Congratulations to a former Duke player realizing his potential.

Obviously just speculation--I suspect he would have cracked the rotation at least as a role player, but he might well not have had the playing time and success he has enjoyed at Syracuse--so that one worked out well. Based on Coach K's comments at the time, I gather he a hard worker and good teammate who was more than welcome to stay at Duke and left without hard feelings on either side, so I'm glad for him that he apparently made the right choice.

Wander
11-28-2015, 04:19 PM
I saw Dunn last year and he was one of the quickest, smartest point guards in college basketball. This year he's added strength.

For the moment, he's my NPOY frontrunner.

Dunn is definitely up there. But I think Denzel Valentine has to be #1 right now. Michigan State's win over Kansas is probably the best win any team has right now, and Valentine had a triple double in that game. And that's not even his only triple double of the season.

We still need to see all these guys play more games against better competition, but between Valentine, Dunn, Grayson Allen, Gary Payton Jr and Buddy Hield it looks like a great year for guards.

Edouble
11-28-2015, 07:58 PM
Obviously just speculation--I suspect he would have cracked the rotation at least as a role player, but he might well not have had the playing time and success he has enjoyed at Syracuse--so that one worked out well. Based on Coach K's comments at the time, I gather he a hard worker and good teammate who was more than welcome to stay at Duke and left without hard feelings on either side, so I'm glad for him that he apparently made the right choice.

Silent G was not ready for playing time as a freshman in 2011-12 in the role that Matt Jones was ready for as a sophomore in 2014-15. People on this board were crying for Michael to be put in the lineup as an athletic wing defender, which the team badly needed.

As a senior, would Michael have been inserted into the lineup instead of Matt Jones when Winslow moved the 4 spot? Hard to say. Matt Jones was perfect in that role though.

Olympic Fan
11-29-2015, 12:25 AM
Silent G was not ready for playing time as a freshman in 2011-12 in the role that Matt Jones was ready for as a sophomore in 2014-15. People on this board were crying for Michael to be put in the lineup as an athletic wing defender, which the team badly needed.

As a senior, would Michael have been inserted into the lineup instead of Matt Jones when Winslow moved the 4 spot? Hard to say. Matt Jones was perfect in that role though.

the coaches were crying for that too -- but the freshman Gbinije was only interested in scoring. If he had embraced the defensive role, he would have played a lot.

Olympic Fan
11-29-2015, 12:39 AM
Dunn is definitely up there. But I think Denzel Valentine has to be #1 right now. Michigan State's win over Kansas is probably the best win any team has right now, and Valentine had a triple double in that game. And that's not even his only triple double of the season.

I just noticed that we get to see Dunn and Valentine head to head tonight -- Providence and Michigan State meet Sunday at 10 pm. on a neutral court in the Wooden Invitational.

Billy Dat
11-30-2015, 01:12 PM
I just noticed that we get to see Dunn and Valentine head to head tonight -- Providence and Michigan State meet Sunday at 10 pm. on a neutral court in the Wooden Invitational.

I watched this game to get my first look at Dunn. He is very very good, I was especially impressed with his passing. He also plays with a lot of emotion, which can be good or bad, but he is clearly the leader of the squad. However, he let his leadership slip in picking up a really stupid 4th foul with 6:30 or so to go and Providence with a slim lead. His absence saw that lead erode and although Ed Cooley brought him back with 4 to go, MSU had taken the lead and held it. Valentine also had foul trouble but he has a little more talent around him then Dunn. That being said, Providence is a nice team, the match-ups with Villanova should be fun. Dunn looks to be a good pro PG, he's 6'4", is quick, can shoot, can pass, moves his feet pretty well (most of his fouls were him taking dumb chances at steals). I was impressed.

Billy Dat
12-01-2015, 09:18 PM
This dunk by Texas frosh Kerwin Roach is nuts
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25397254/video-texas-kerwin-roach-jr-has-the-best-dunk-of-the-year-so-far

dukelifer
12-01-2015, 09:22 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25397254/video-texas-kerwin-roach-jr-has-the-best-dunk-of-the-year-so-far

Yes- he kept rising. Amazing

devildeac
12-01-2015, 09:55 PM
6:30 into first half and terps have 3A and 7 TO. Can they keep it under 20 TO for the half:rolleyes: ?

OldPhiKap
12-01-2015, 09:57 PM
Heels playing insane right now. Md fans will be twerping about the refs, welcome back to the ACC.

cspan37421
12-01-2015, 10:11 PM

When did Dahntay change his name to Kerwin?

OldPhiKap
12-01-2015, 10:13 PM

When did Dahntay change his name to Kerwin?

Grayson, the pin has been set.

cspan37421
12-01-2015, 10:20 PM
Heels playing insane right now. Md fans will be twerping about the refs, welcome back to the ACC.

Where's that meteor I was promised?

Billy Dat
12-08-2015, 09:39 AM
Saw large portions of two recent non-conference tilts between ranked teams:

-This weekend's Gonzaga v Arizona game was a tale of two halves. Gonzaga, playing at home ("the Kennel" - great nickname), ran out to a big lead and then gave it away. Neither team had their starting center. Gonzaga has only lost a handful of games in that arena in the Mark Few era so this was a big true road win. While Gonzaga is loaded up front with Wiltjer, Sabonis and Karnowski (who didn't play), their guards are green and that is where they are weak, although the word is that the kids are really talented so maybe they are a stock to buy now. For Arizona, I remember admiring Alonzo Trier's game when I saw him on Team USA with Tyus, Justise, Luke and Chase, but I forgot where he had matriculated - but he's in Tuscon and he looked tough. Gabe York and Ryan Andersen are the seasoned vet leaders that everyone else can lean on. It's hard to guess the ceiling for both squads, but Arizona will certainly be more battle tested coming out of the Pac 12.

Speaking of which, the Pac 12 has become the buzzy conference du jour. Bobby and ASU are getting much love for their win against Texas A&M this weekend. Arizona beat Gonzaga. UCLA got that huge win against Kentucky. Utah is legit. Oregon and Colorado are ok, Cal seems like a bit of a sleeping giant with their talent, etc.

Last night I watched Oklahoma v Villanova. First off, that venue and setting was bizarre. I know all these military base games are not being played in professional environments, but the difference here was that the game was quite sparsely attended. However, there were a bunch of living Pearl Harbor survivors which gave the atmosphere it's gravity. As for the game, Oklahoma is TOUGH. Their primary weakness is size as their big, Spangler, is only 6'9", but they will pressure and small ball you to death, and their guards generally have good size. Spangler, Cousins and Buddy Hield are a problem - everyone shoots 3s - they are fun to watch. Nova is good too, but this was my first look and Jalen Brunson didn't have a great game, which I understand considering the Oklahoma perimeter is so tough. Villanova simply had a horrendous shooting night, so it's hard to know what would have happened if they'd been hitting even average numbers. The OU defense had something to do with it, and they shot REALLY well, but the court/setting was odd so maybe it screwed with Nova's shooting. He didn't score well, but Josh Hart seemed really solid to me. Of these two teams, I'd certainly fear OU more if we had to play them.