PDA

View Full Version : Spotlight Movie

Udaman
11-13-2015, 01:11 PM
It's only on right now in three cities, but I saw it here in Boston the other day.

Wow....just wow. An absolutely fantastic movie. Even though we know the outcome, the film still manages to build suspense, and kick you in the stomach again and again and again. It leaves you with (justified) total disgust for the leadership of the Catholic Church.

This is a lock for a Best Picture nod, and probably the favorite right now. Michael Keaton is a lock for Best Supporting Actor. So is Mark Ruffalo (he should get it for one powerful scene alone). Best Director nod's a lock as well.

Go see this movie when it goes on full release. It's in my Top 3 movies of the year thus far, and might be #1 overall.

BD80
11-13-2015, 03:05 PM
It's only on right now in three cities, but I saw it here in Boston the other day.

Wow...just wow. An absolutely fantastic movie. Even though we know the outcome, the film still manages to build suspense, and kick you in the stomach again and again and again. It leaves you with (justified) total disgust for the leadership of the Catholic Church.

This is a lock for a Best Picture nod, and probably the favorite right now. Michael Keaton is a lock for Best Supporting Actor. So is Mark Ruffalo (he should get it for one powerful scene alone). Best Director nod's a lock as well.

Go see this movie when it goes on full release. It's in my Top 3 movies of the year thus far, and might be #1 overall.

Oscar schmoscar.

Will it beat out Peanuts for the Top 6?

Jim3k
11-15-2015, 12:25 AM
I'm not willing to claim this is an Oscar movie. But...it should be in the conversation for a nomination.

One thing I will say is that it is a terrific ensemble performance. Keaton is terrific to be sure. This is the Keaton many thought he would be. Even so it is not his movie. That is divided up pretty well among Ruffalo, McAdams, Schreiber and him. A pretty good nod should be given to Tucci and Crudup in supporting roles. Paul Guilfoyle and Jamie Sheridan deserve something of the same.

Aside from the excellent acting, the story, generally true to the facts, is gripping as the team develops its focus. Once it has momentum it is on the same level as All the President's Men.

Definitely a go-to movie.