PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Vrankovic

CharlestonDave
11-13-2015, 05:21 AM
I pose this query to those on this board whose knowledge is much greater than mine as respects Duke basketball..

What is his future with the team ? I obviously know that this year he will see very limited minutes and he is a project.

As someone once said, " you can't teach height or speed ". Do you think that by his senior year he could be effective in the same way Brian Zoubek and Marshall Plumlee were and are or do you think he has a higher level of skill ?

Thank you.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-13-2015, 06:04 AM
Don't know anything yet about his game, but he is a very smart "kid". He graduated from Pine Crest (Ft. Lauderdale), a top private prep school. It's the Duke of prep schools. Brandon Knight, who went to Kentucky after we got Kyrie Irving's commitment before Knight made his decision also graduated from PC.

I'm rooting hard for Antonio to blossom and play well for Duke. He is a fellow "double alum" of mine!

superdave
11-13-2015, 09:45 AM
Jim Sumner, in another thread, suggested he thought VRankovic will redshirt.

FerryFor50
11-13-2015, 09:59 AM
Sign of the apocalypse: We have a thread dedicated to a freshman that is likely to be redshirted.

CDu
11-13-2015, 10:00 AM
It is really hard to know where he will be in development as a player 4 full years from now (I assume he will redshirt this year).

flyingdutchdevil
11-13-2015, 10:02 AM
Sign of the apocalypse: We have a thread dedicated to a freshman that is likely to be redshirted.

In fairness, I'm pretty sure we had a similar thread for Alex Murphy, amongst other red-shirting freshman. I get it; there is uncertainty about his status and posters are curious.

I'd be surprised if Vrank and Robinson didn't redshirt. But Coach K is a master of surprises, so we shall see!

CameronBlue
11-13-2015, 10:34 AM

DBR: "When having one analyst just isn't enough."

1999ballboy
11-13-2015, 11:21 AM
Even if they redshirt this year, they're not going to be in a better situation in terms of playing time next year. I do hope they stick around, though, because in 2017-18 we could be recovering from a number of NBA exits. That's when I could really see us using and developing those guys.

jimsumner
11-13-2015, 02:35 PM
We'll know more about redshirts later today.

If either Vrankovic or Robinson plays, then the non-injury redshirt option disappears.

The opposite is not the case. Either or both could sit on the sideline for games, weeks, months and then play this season should circumstances dictate.

I don't think anyone knows Vrankovic's ceiling. He could turn out to be a Brian Zoubek-analog, he could turn out to be a Matt Christensen-analog. But I haven't talked to anyone who sees him as a rotation player anytime soon.

Hopefully, I'm wrong and we're comparing Vrankovic to Mike Gminski. And truth be told, the recent sample size of Duke-recruits-not-ranked-in-the-top-100 is pretty small. Nick Horvath, Lee Melchionni and Tyler Thornton all became rotation players on gifted rosters, so there's no reason to assume that Vrankovic can't reach that level.

Devilwin
11-13-2015, 02:48 PM
I've watched some of his videos and the kid has good moves around the basket. Very smooth player.